PDA

View Full Version : L.L. Bean jeans--which is warmer? Flannel or fleece lined....

Cherry
Oct. 4, 2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry, I tried to do a search for this because I know we've talked about them before. Either that thread is gone or I'm a lousy looker upper-er.... ;) :lol:

Does anyone know the answer???? :confused:

TIA. :)

spacehorse
Oct. 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
I can't tell you about the fleece lined, but I have a pair of flannel lined. You couldn't pry them from my cold, dead hands. I'm betting the fleece is warmer yet.

quicksilverponies
Oct. 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have both and I live at the North Pole - or at least if feels like it - over 150 inches of snow each winter and temps way below freezing at times. I find the fleece lined jeans to be much warmer than the flannel. They are a bit thicker, but that's fine with me - I wear them everyday in the barn and they are great.

MistyBlue
Oct. 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
IMO, the fleece is a warmer of the two. Although the flannel are also very warm, a LOT warmer than regular jeans...the fleece seems to hold more heat in and allow less wind through. Both are comfy as heck. I bought the fleece a size larger than I normally wear, although they're cut generous anyways, in case I felt a need to add thermals underneath for the days I'm out plowing driveways for a few hours in single digit windy days. Haven't really needed thermals yet though. The bottoms are cut straight but easily fit a pair of muck boot tops under them. So far I;ve been outside in the fleece LL Bean jeans, Muck Boots, Smartwool socks, warm sweater with turtleneck and Hot Chili thermal top and gloves/ear flap hat and been comfy in single digits for 8-10 hours. Killer warm combo!
And like the others have mentioned...you couldn't take my LL Bean lined jeans unless you were well armed, LOL!

andy825
Oct. 4, 2008, 08:13 PM
I love my fleece-lined jeans with an unnatural sort of love. I will be so sad if they ever wear out. They are the coziest! Get them a little roomie so that you have space for thermals if you need them. You'll be sad if they're too tight.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 4, 2008, 08:22 PM
The fleece.

And if the budget would allow I would wear only them throughout the year, even if it meant living in air conditioning full time.

I adore it, and I have yet to find another brand whose jeans work as well with riding as the LL beans.

~Emily

MistyBlue
Oct. 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
They're pretty sturdy jeans...I wear them almost exclusively all winter and have a 3 year old pair that look and wear just fine still. The fleece lined don't make you too warm indoors...I think the fleece helps prevent sweating. Also, LL Bean has their *awesome* customer service to back the jeans up...I know they've replaced clothes I've bought from them for free if they wore out.

scotchie
Oct. 4, 2008, 09:29 PM
My fabulous sister is Director of Merchandise for LL Bean- I have forwarded her this so she can see how much we all love our lined jeans! :D

MistyBlue
Oct. 4, 2008, 10:13 PM
Tell your fabulous sister that I love that fabulous company! And don't even get me started on the Wicked Good Slippers...I want to buried in mine.
If she has *any* say in product development/ordering...can yoou ask her to PLEASE consider offering the same colors in men's and women's clothes???? Seriously...I'm small and usually end up ordering sweaters and shirts in the men's small and wearing WAY oversized clothes because I'm just not about to wear robin's egg blue or icy pink or raspberry or some other such ridiculously pale girly color around a barn. Not every women who wears their clothes is an indoor soccer mom. :winkgrin: But the clothing color choices are my only beef with the company and I'm probably in the minority with wanting dark green, navy blue and burgundy women's clothes.
I'll be ordering from them soon again...every year near the holidays I can't resist buying some new toasty item from them. :D
(can they make a full body suit out of those slippers? :lol: )

dressagetraks
Oct. 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
I have both and love both, but the fleece are definitely warmer.

Scotchie, maybe your sister could arrange a COTH Jeans Week? Anybody mentioning COTH on their lined jeans order as we head into winter gets 20% off? :yes:

jazzrider
Oct. 4, 2008, 10:19 PM
Get them a little roomie so that you have space for thermals if you need them. You'll be sad if they're too tight.

I love, love, love my L.L. Bean flannel lined jeans. I pretty sure that fleece would be warmer (too warm for VA!). Andy has it right though -- get them a size too big so their roomy for years to come. Mine are just a bit snug, and I'm bummed. Nothing's better in the barn in the early morning or late night check. Anyone know where I can get a pair that sit just below the waist, rather than at the waist?

MistyBlue
Oct. 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
I don;t think they make the lined jeans in different waist-heights. I usually prefer the "at the waist" for cold weather wear because that means whatever shirt I tuck in stays tucked in. These are a tad higher than I'm used to, but at least not armpit/boob shelf height, LOL!

gieriscm
Oct. 4, 2008, 11:42 PM
LL Bean fleece-lined jeans; thanks for the Christmas gift idea! I drive DH nuts because I never ask for anything for my birthday or Christmas.

LetItBe
Oct. 5, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ok from a Floridian so take it as you will... :D

I've got the flannel and the fleece lined for when I go skiing and the fleece were warmer. Love both though and they fit just like their normal relaxed jeans even with the lining.

I wear the carefree T-shirts to work every day and love them!

LetItBe

ETA: The fleece lined are on sale currently!!!! This thread made me go shopping:)

Skeezix
Oct. 5, 2008, 07:12 AM
Ditto what everyone else said. I live in my fleece lined jeans every winter. The bonus is they are so comfy against your skin, it is like having on your pjs at the barn!!!

Oh, and also ditto what MistyBlue said about the colors :)

Liberty
Oct. 5, 2008, 07:51 AM
I have both flannel and fleece lined, and yep, fleece is MUCH warmer. I don't know how I lived without them in the past. I live in mine all winter. :D

As for brands, there are several good ones, but my favorite is Wrangler, although the fleece lining isn't attached at as many points inside as other brands, so I have to "straighten it out" after washing. But warmer jeans I've never found.

I also have fleece-lined jeans from LL Bean and Plow & Hearth (both of which are great, but not quite as great for me as the Wranglers, which seem the sturdiest as well as warmest).

WaningMoon
Oct. 5, 2008, 08:11 AM
My husband and I both have the flannel and the fleece. He builds houses yr round and just loved both his although the fleece are warmer. He does seem to only get one season out of them before the knees blow out though. I find the fleece hold up to riding much better. My flannel ones always end up with the flannel ripped in the seat area every time. When I went up to the store the last time they would not replace them, said they wouldn't warranty them for riding purposes. We have many pairs of these. Love LLBean, just not so happy with the flannels not lasting long.

camohn
Oct. 5, 2008, 09:10 AM
The fleece is warmer but FYI order a size up....the fleece is bulky and I found I needed a bigger size with all the "stuff" to bend legs and ride comforably in em.

camohn
Oct. 5, 2008, 09:13 AM
Tell your fabulous sister that I love that fabulous company! And don't even get me started on the Wicked Good Slippers...I want to buried in mine.
If she has *any* say in product development/ordering...can yoou ask her to PLEASE consider offering the same colors in men's and women's clothes???? Seriously...I'm small and usually end up ordering sweaters and shirts in the men's small and wearing WAY oversized clothes because I'm just not about to wear robin's egg blue or icy pink or raspberry or some other such ridiculously pale girly color around a barn. Not every women who wears their clothes is an indoor soccer mom. :winkgrin: But the clothing color choices are my only beef with the company and I'm probably in the minority with wanting dark green, navy blue and burgundy women's clothes.
I'll be ordering from them soon again...every year near the holidays I can't resist buying some new toasty item from them. :D
(can they make a full body suit out of those slippers? :lol: )

He he. I order off the mens pages too because I am also not a female that likes pink and powder blue....especially in the barn. Luckily I am 5'8 and fit in a men's medium! Burgundy, dark green and burnt orange are my favorites!!

scotchie
Oct. 5, 2008, 09:16 AM
Misty Blue- LOL- She IS the one who decides what clothes/colors they carry :lol: . An interesting sidenote- the fit model that they use is a REALLY normal size 10- not 16 year old underdevolped coat hanger. Her legs are really normal- not skinny and long.AND she has boobs! I think that's great. I will pass all this along:yes:

pintopiaffe
Oct. 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
Well. This interests me.

I HATE JEANS. The only, only time I wear them is when I have 'construction' to do. Need the protection & pockets. I think they are soooo cold and trap the cold air and dampness. I will wear layers of long-johns and lycra leggings under polarfleece 'fitness' pants usually...

Having said that, Boinks did away with my mostest favoritist winter pants, their doubled material ones. So I need something else. I am blissfully close to not one but two outlets, so perhaps I will try the jeans.

MistyBlue
Oct. 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
Scotchie...if your sister starts ordering women's sizes in "men's" colors I'd bet she gets a huge groupie following of horsie women! Those pale girly colors show everything too well in the barn and tons of us horsie broads wear LL Bean clothes for the durability and warmth. :yes: I have yet to walk into a barn here in CT and not see at least half the women there wearing something from LL Bean.

trubandloki
Oct. 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
Scotchie...if your sister starts ordering women's sizes in "men's" colors I'd bet she gets a huge groupie following of horsie women! Those pale girly colors show everything too well in the barn and tons of us horsie broads wear LL Bean clothes for the durability and warmth. :yes: I have yet to walk into a barn here in CT and not see at least half the women there wearing something from LL Bean.

I totally agree.

I frequently order from the men's page because their colors are MUCH better than the colors of the woman's stuff.

spacehorse
Oct. 6, 2008, 11:29 AM
I third or fourth the color idea! You won't catch me dead in pink! My closet is dominated in grey, black cause I always end up with mens stuff. Being almost 6' doesn't really help much. I am glad I am not alone! :lol:

pintopiaffe
Oct. 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
Now, I don't mind colours... hunter green, a lovely dark, dark violet or plum, many shades of brown... ;)

I think most of us are on the same page.

I *am* rather smitten now though, with the fit of women's things, now that *I* can fit into them. Way flattering compared to the boxy men's cut. I never knew...

Easier to layer too, since the armpits are in the armpits etc.

So yeah, add me to the 'better colours in girly sizes' vote. ;)

scotchie
Oct. 6, 2008, 12:02 PM
My sister was in her office this morning and read this first thing- I will get her comments tonight (hopefully) and post them.:)

stryder
Oct. 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
Anyone know where I can get a pair that sit just below the waist, rather than at the waist?

You might try Carhartt. Saw a pair yesterday. They've developed more women's clothing. Jeans aren't as high as my LLBean jeans.

I second everything that's been said about the LLBean flannel jeans. I'm waiting for it to get cold enough to pull them out.

LLBean: home of the fabulous no-iron shirts I wear every day to work, the fabulous wind challenger jackets ... and so on and so forth! Although, I wish the fabulous wind challenger jacket for women had dark trim on the cuffs. The light, girlie colors (even on the darker jackets) look filthy the first time I venture into the barn.

MistyBlue
Oct. 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Scotchie, I'll send your sister cookies for better women's colors! :D :yes: :D
In the big shirt women's flannels too...love those shirts but wouldn't be caught dead driving my tractor wearing petal pink or seafoam, LOL! Pine green, burgundy, navy blue, beige, burnt orange, grey and black please. :winkgrin: I'm more worried about shirts that go with my barn colors and truck and hide horse snot and manure stains rather than shirts that match my non-existent eye shadow. :lol:
I'll...I'll...I'll name my next horse after her! Yup, yup I will!

craz4crtrs
Oct. 6, 2008, 01:19 PM
Well, I just ordered my first pair of flannel lined jeans from LL Bean. I had a return so added some more "stuff" to my order. :D

I considered the womens jeans, but I can't stand the high cut anymore. So ordered mens instead. I did get the "comfort" waistband so maybe that will help with any gaping at the back. I wear a lot of mens jeans anyway. I do have some womens jeans I really like, the new Lees flares and the Wrangler Aura. Both come in talls. The Lees might run a smooch small, but I ignore the tag. :lol:

I also bought a mens fleece lined hooded zip sweatshirt in ...brown of course. There is a womans version, but shorter and more fitted. While riding, I want it looser in the shoulders and big enough to layer underneath.

Will update when I get them....

stryder
Oct. 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
Scotchie, I'll send your sister cookies for better women's colors! :D :yes: :D
In the big shirt women's flannels too...love those shirts but wouldn't be caught dead driving my tractor wearing petal pink or seafoam, LOL! Pine green, burgundy, navy blue, beige, burnt orange, grey and black please. :winkgrin: I'm more worried about shirts that go with my barn colors and truck and hide horse snot and manure stains rather than shirts that match my non-existent eye shadow. :lol:
I'll...I'll...I'll name my next horse after her! Yup, yup I will!

Scotchie, I'll buy more stuff! (Is that even possible?) I'll abandon Cabela's and Lands End. Yup, yup I will!

scotchie
Oct. 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
Misty- I just emailed The Fabulous Sister your offer :lol:

seeuatx
Oct. 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
Ohhh Scotchie, let your sis know that I love the lined jeans for the barn.... but maybe pass along that I would love to find a pair of boot cut lined jeans for normal wear in the winter. Store brand jeans are just too thin... brrrrr.

jazzrider
Oct. 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
You might try Carhartt. Saw a pair yesterday. They've developed more women's clothing. Jeans aren't as high as my LLBean jeans.

Thanks! I'll take a look. I'll also have to try some men's jeans (why didn't I think of that?). I can't stand things that bind me in the waist, and since I have no curves -- anything in my (womens) size does! :no: I live in Levi's 515 boot cut jeans. They're the only jeans that fit me well. I buy one size big for the barn and riding. :yes:

see u at x
Oct. 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking that the Carhartt ones look pretty good. Not only does the waist look lower, but they're more of a straight cut. I can't do the whole tapered leg thing...it makes me look like an ice cream cone. :no:

stryder
Oct. 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking that the Carhartt ones look pretty good. Not only does the waist look lower, but they're more of a straight cut. I can't do the whole tapered leg thing...it makes me look like an ice cream cone. :no:

I hate the whole ice cream cone thing, too. Carhartt dungarees. Straight legs and you gotta love the extra pockets on the sides of the leg. And they come in a 32-inch length. perfect!

see u at x
Oct. 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
I hate the whole ice cream cone thing, too. Carhartt dungarees. Straight legs and you gotta love the extra pockets on the sides of the leg. And they come in a 32-inch length. perfect!

Ooooh, you are so right -- I like those a lot! I have to get a pair of the dark brown ones for sure! :yes:

hijumpin1
Oct. 6, 2008, 07:18 PM

Agree with this...I would like to see LL Bean offer darker colors for real working clothes. The pastels just don't cut it for outdoor work.

sidepasser
Oct. 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
Uhm I could chip in some coupons for Ben and Jerry's if the colors could be.. well..more desirable in a barn and farm environment. Sky blue and pale pink are just soooo c.u.t.e. on those who live in subdivisions and have grooms to do their dirty work..

but alas..I live on the farm and can't order ladies stuff anymore from LL Bean..the colors stay "pretty" until I walk outside and between a wally world wonder puppy and horses that blow their nose every few minutes..

it ain't pretty..and then the nice colors are all snot green, Ga. red clay patterned paw prints and that nice shade of brown that horses give you when they rub their dirty noses on you.

But saving the day are those that said "order from the men's side"..yeppers..they got the nice colors..the burnt oranges, hunter greens, browns..all nice working farm colors.

I love my flannel lined jeans, will see about fleece ones and order a size up as suggested as my flannel ones are too tight in a regular size 8. Well I can stand up in them..but no bending or sitting down..feel like Boppo the Clown..just hit me and the jeans will keep me standing up..lol..

Tell sis we are anxiously waiting to hear..will LL Bean listen add some "farm and ranch" colors to their line? or will we be forced to keep ordering from the men's dept.?

MistyBlue
Oct. 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
Ooo...I second the boot cut fleece lined jeans! I'd love a pair for everyday too. I do wear my tapered cut ones out in winter too but I like to pretend I'm somewhat stylish once in a rare while.
Although I have to say the tapered cut lined jeans aren't very tapered really, they fall more straight on me. Maybe a narrow straight cut, but they don't go in at my ankles. I'm guessing they do them tapered cut so the bottoms can be tucked into boots? But a boot cut would allow me to wear the Muck boots under them more easily. :D
I wear them all day long...inside as well as out. They do feel like pajamas like someone mentioned. Comfy as heck.
I just made a few batches of Italian butter cookies tonight....hint, hint.

KayBee
Oct. 6, 2008, 08:55 PM
Randomly throwing a new question into the mix --Bean has some cute wool sweaters. Anyone wear them at the barn/riding? Are they too warm/hay & shavings magnets? Curious to hear...

Meanwhile, I sometimes buy the girly colors and end up using a heck of a lot Shout (with varying degrees of success) so I echo the call for more gender-neutral colors -- and may I add that I think I look particularly fetching in chocolate brown (hint, hint)...

I *can't* wear the men's sizes. I'm too "womanly" shaped for that and if I buy the clothes big enough to fit me in the chest, they SWIM at the waist and make me look chunkier than I am. I'd rather highlight my, ah, generously proportioned self than look like a shapeless mass...

My solution has been to buy warm tops at the end-of-year ski sales for both color and cost reasons.

I haven't tried riding in jeans. If I manage to get to a size 12, may have to buy a pair of the fleece or flannel-lined ones to try it out/reward myself.

Deuce
Oct. 6, 2008, 09:22 PM
If she has *any* say in product development/ordering...can yoou ask her to PLEASE consider offering the same colors in men's and women's clothes???? Seriously...I'm small and usually end up ordering sweaters and shirts in the men's small and wearing WAY oversized clothes because I'm just not about to wear robin's egg blue or icy pink or raspberry or some other such ridiculously pale girly color around a barn. Not every women who wears their clothes is an indoor soccer mom.

I was just thinking this TODAY! I live about 35 minutes away from LL Bean, and I was going to drive up and pick up a new fleece jacket. The last two I've had were both mens. Wasn't crazy about the fit, but damn it, I don't WANT to wear pink, powder blue or lavender! Navy, Dark Green, and my personal favorite, charcoal grey!

The clothing is great, the women's color selection is ALMOST enough to make me want to go elsewhere!

justonemore
Oct. 6, 2008, 09:36 PM
I didn't know they made fleece lined - now I have to get a pair!!
I have to agree with others about the color selection; I always find myself wanting the men's colors. Once in a while I like 'girly' colors, but most of the time I lean toward the neutral/darker shades.

Kementari
Oct. 6, 2008, 09:54 PM
Clearly, I am the only one here who likes the girly colors! :lol: My only complaint is that I just can't do jeans at my waist anymore - I'm too spoiled by how much more comfy the lower cut ones are (slightly lower - not the teenage below-the-hips models! :eek:)...

deltawave
Oct. 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
Fleece-lined, definitely. Better yet are the no-brand kind I found in a feed store. They fit better, were $20 cheaper and the fleece is super thick. Yum--one of the (only) good things about winter are those jeans! :yes:

camohn
Oct. 6, 2008, 10:14 PM
Randomly throwing a new question into the mix --Bean has some cute wool sweaters. Anyone wear them at the barn/riding? Are they too warm/hay & shavings magnets? Curious to hear...

Meanwhile, I sometimes buy the girly colors and end up using a heck of a lot Shout (with varying degrees of success) so I echo the call for more gender-neutral colors -- and may I add that I think I look particularly fetching in chocolate brown (hint, hint)...

I *can't* wear the men's sizes. I'm too "womanly" shaped for that and if I buy the clothes big enough to fit me in the chest, they SWIM at the waist and make me look chunkier than I am. I'd rather highlight my, ah, generously proportioned self than look like a shapeless mass...

I haven't tried riding in jeans. If I manage to get to a size 12, may have to buy a pair of the fleece or flannel-lined ones to try it out/reward myself.

The sweaters are great...just wear a light and shiny (like nylon) jacket over them to keep the hay from sticking!!
I will add a caramel apple pie to the bribery pack for her office! Remember: burnt orange, hunter green, burgundy (he he he).

MistyBlue
Oct. 6, 2008, 10:14 PM
I do have a couple of the girly colors for non-barn sweaters. I like that periwinkle blue color and I think I have a pale lime green one too. (bought the matching turtlenecks too ;) ) But....it would be nice to be able to choose the male's colors too. Those aren't an option. I get so sad when I'm looking through a new catalog and see some fantastic "uni-sex" item but on the sides where the colors are listed, all the colors I'd want or wear are marked "mens" only and all the colors for women are just way too light for barn work, outside work, riding wear, etc.
BTW...the men's pajamas are AWESOME too. Top of my Christmas list this year is a new pair of Wicked Goods since I finally almost killed my last pair. And I wear those shopping, LOL!

scotchie
Oct. 7, 2008, 08:31 AM
Spoke to Fabulous Sister last night:). She loved reading all your comments (esp. yours, Misty!). She says that they have to appeal to the larger market and that is the one that wants/buys the more feminine colors. She said most items ARE offered in navy and black, though. She understands your request (hello, she has to listen to my requests/input all the time!) and said that the Spring line coming out *might* have stuff for you-she said it is a bit of nautical mixed with preppy. Maybe here will be some things in there that work. :yes:

I will ask her about the boot cut lined jeans :winkgrin:

ManyDogs
Oct. 7, 2008, 08:47 AM
Scotchie,
Years ago, my hubby and a friend were all set to go to Costa Rica and the friend had ordered a pair of boots from LLB. They didn't come, didn't come (we all lived on a very tiny Caribbean island so who knows the real story ;) ) and LLB came through, sent another pair, and off they went.
Now I'll have to order a pair of fleece jeans, not only for me, but hubby too.
They'll make that late night trek to feed warm beet pulp slurry much more enjoyable.
Count me in for liking the "manly" colors, too. Slobber and pink or ice blue just don't do well together.

scotchie
Oct. 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
Great story, 3Dog! They have great customer service, that's for sure. Funny you mention Costa Rica- Fabulous Sister is taking my family there for Christmas! (did I mention she's The Best?:D)

ManyDogs
Oct. 7, 2008, 09:12 AM
Scotchie,
Hubby and friend went in 1989 before it was "discovered". I opted to stay home since they were just wandering around the country hither and yon. Their favorite place was a $2 a night hotel on the slopes of Arenal (sp?). They took the train to the Pacific Coast-the one that stops at every little town.
Hope you have a wonderful time-hubby would move there in a minute, but of course it has changed a lot since he was there. I think ex-pats have to live in specific communities now. Before they could buy a house/land anywhere.
Very, very safe and beautiful country.

artisticgold
Oct. 7, 2008, 09:24 AM
I LOFF my Fleece Lined Jeans, and wear them every day in the winter, with silk long johns underneath, and alpaca wool socks! I have one pair of LL Beans, two pair of Ladies Rugged Wear Wrangers, and one pair of men's Rugged wear Wranglers, and the men's fit me the best! The womens on me make me look about 50 pounds heavier, as they are cut generous, so they are not exactly flattering on my 5'2" frame. The men's pair fit me like they were made for me. Note to self: find another pair of those MEN'S Wranglers in fleece lined!

trubandloki
Oct. 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
How do they know the broader market does not want those other colors?

Have they tried it?

Do they assume that all the burgundy turtlenecks they sell are really for men?

scotchie
Oct. 7, 2008, 10:53 AM
Fabulous Sister is trying to help- but remember, Bean has to be functional AND fashionable. It's a big world out there and she had to market to it- here is her response:
boot cut is a good idea but it is one of our smallest selling styles, by far, so unfortunately not worth the SKU investment for us. I have to say, I DO think we have really functional women's outdoor clothes! I just looked at some of our best selling fleece outerwear pieces, such as trail model and super 200 which I would think would be good for the barn on a winter day. In addition to pretty colors, the women's styles also come in charcoal gray heather, black, navy, eggplant and brown.

trubandloki
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:09 AM
Eggplant? That is a color?

Hellloooo we want burgundy, green, etc.

I am glad SHE thinks their fashions are appropriate. She has heard from people who want to wear them for real life things (barn work) and they are telling her other wise.

stryder
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
Scotchie:

I think your Fabulous Sister has a difficult job - trying to sell to the masses AND keep her sister (and all her horsie friends) happy and satisfied. No mass seller can afford to maintain a product line for a small market, especially in these times.

That said, there are growing numbers of women who work outside, or play VERY hard, who would appreciate colors that don't show every bit of soil or animal slop.

We used to have three companies we could count on: LLBean, Lands End and Eddie Bauer. The other two lost their way and abandoned their roots, as far as I'm concerned, and struggled financially as a result. LLBean has stayed the course and should be able to pick up market share in the "women who play/work in the dirt" market.

Anyway, she'll do what she can, for which I'm grateful.:)

scotchie
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Wow- Trub- Bless your heart.

jazzrider
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
Eggplant? That is a color?

Eggplant is dark, dark purple and is one of my favorite colors to wear around the barn, and for riding. :yes: Don't diss my color. ;)

trubandloki
Oct. 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
Wow- Trub- Bless your heart.

Back at you! ;)

Horsepower
Oct. 7, 2008, 01:52 PM
I am a major LLBean buyer and have been for over 20 years. Half my wardrobe seems to be from them! I got rid of my fleece lined and replaced them with the flannel lined because I found the fleece ones too bulky and restrictive in moving about. The flannel is soft enough and roomy enough that you can add a silk underlayer if you want more warmth. Wish they would bring back those nice reversible winter jackets they offered a few years ago where you just turn up the cuff to get the right sleeve length. I would definitely buy another one (or two); great for riding and for going about town.

Love those swiftriver products; great quality for a low price; keep them coming!

camohn
Oct. 7, 2008, 05:24 PM
Scotchie:

We used to have three companies we could count on: LLBean, Lands End and Eddie Bauer. The other two lost their way and abandoned their roots, as far as I'm concerned, and struggled financially as a result. LLBean has stayed the course and should be able to pick up market share in the "women who play/work in the dirt" market.

Anyway, she'll do what she can, for which I'm grateful.:)

Ditto. I also used to love Banana Republic back when they made real clothes for outdoor folks......and have since turned into a trendy teen brand with chintzy fabrics. Sigh.

SarahandSam
Oct. 7, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Scotchie... could you suggest fleece-lined jeans in kids' sizes please? After reading this thread I want to buy some, but I'm too short to fit adult sizes, and all they have for kids are the flannel-lined. I'll probably get those anyway though. (:

My2cents
Oct. 7, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have both. My original pair of flannel jeans wore out this spring. Oh was I sooo sad to give them up but they had no crotch left and the point of wearing flannel jeans is to keep warm, right? Oooo, they were faded to the most perfect shade of fadedness and so so soooooooo soft. I started breaking in a new pair, but it's going to take a while to get to that wonderful 'old comfortable jeans' state.

pony89
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:32 PM
I did not even know these existed until a few weeks ago, when I found a pair at the thrift store for 5 bucks. They appear to be a style that actually fits me, which is a minor miracle in itself! I need to lose 5 lbs before I can comfortably ride in them, but it is a small inconvenience considering how comfy these felt, and that I need to lose a few pounds anyways. 5 Bucks! Yay! I believe they are the flannel lined.

MunchkinsMom
Oct. 7, 2008, 11:48 PM
I love my fleece lined jeans, been wearing them in winter for over 8 years now. Yes, I even wear them here in Florida, for those 10 nights a year when we get below 32 degrees! At least here in Florida I don't have the expedition weight thermal underwear on underneath them like I did in CT!

My daughter had fleece lined jeans that we found in one of the kids stores in the mall, but I can't remember the name of the store now. You could do a google search, you might find some online.

Cabela's also has a line of fleece and flannel lined jeans, and some of their women's tops are in more earth tones.

Blonde Filly
Oct. 8, 2008, 12:49 AM
My fabulous sister is Director of Merchandise for LL Bean- I have forwarded her this so she can see how much we all love our lined jeans! :D

After reading this thread...I just went and ordered a pair of the fleece lined jeans. I can't stand wearing jeans in the cold weather..it makes my legs freeze..so I end up wearing sweat pants which keep my legs toasty for the most part and I add long johns when it gets really cold..so can't wait to get my first pair. You may tell your sister about this thread and to add a banner for LL Bean on the BB for more sales!!! I know Rob and Mod 1 would like that idea!!!! :winkgrin:

scotchie
Oct. 8, 2008, 08:33 AM
SarahandSam- that's a great suggestion- I will pass that along :)
BlondeFilly-you will LOFF them! I told her she made some new sales and fans from this thread!

IFG
Oct. 8, 2008, 09:33 AM
Scotchie,

If your sister if taking suggestions, I have another. Is it possible to make the lined jeans in fits like the regular jeans? I really love my ll Bean jeans with a lower waistline, and my older flannel-lined pairs fit with a lower waistline, but I tried to get some more pairs, and the waistline is REALLY high.

Also, I agree with others about the colors. Most of the women's colors are putrid. Though I seem to find plenty of their stuff to wear. About half my wardrobe is LL Bean.

MissIndependence
Oct. 8, 2008, 09:36 AM
I love my fleece lined ones too - but the waistline in the ones I ordered last winter were REALLY high! I felt like I was wearing my pants under my armpits. Wish they would make a "mid rise" version....

Oct. 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
Definitely! Make some with a more "trendy" cut, with a mid-rise and maybe a boot cut. And SMALLER SIZES! A 4 is seriously as small as you'll make them? Why?

As a young person transplanted from Southern CA to glacial New England, lined jeans that would replace my typical jeans for "normal" situations (like going for a walk, visiting a fair, whatever) as well as barn work would be AWESOME. From now until about March, every time I go outside I feel like my bum is freezing off. Sometimes I resort to wearing my fleece-lined breeches underneath a pair of regular jeans, but that's just way too much bulk.

I would love to see lined jeans that fit like, say, Gap jeans that I could wear to the barn or into town, depending on the needs of the day. Even if these particular jeans *were* small enough to fit me, the cut is pretty darn bad for a young person. ;) I got a pair for Christmas last year and was pretty heartbroken when they didn't work out.

scotchie
Oct. 8, 2008, 10:11 AM
Ok- have passed along the pant questions- will let you know what she says. :) For all that have issues with shirt colors- can you please be more specific about WHAT shirt styles/material and what colors you feel are missing? :confused:

Trixie
Oct. 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'd order a pair in a HEARTBEAT if they were boot cut or had a lower waist. I can't stand wearing pants that are a second bra, and the tapered leg thing is just icky.

IFG
Oct. 8, 2008, 10:18 AM
Scotchie,

For me, it is the fleece colors. I hate the "dusty" colors. Dusty teal, dusty purple. Give me teal and purple. Give me bottle blue. Hate the pastels. Also, LL Bean used to have more petite sizes. Now it is only for selected items. I hate when my jacket is too long. I tried to get a 200 wt fleece jacket last year. I got over the maroon color, but it no longer came in petite and was just way to long.

LetItBe
Oct. 8, 2008, 11:36 AM
I love the carefree unshrinkable Ts and would love to see darker colors. They've got a Clover (dark green) but its constantly sold out in my size though I check regularly. Haven't seen Navy or Red available in ages. Love the new fleece lined hoodies and plan on picking one up probably in the brown as the other colors are just too light or bright except the indigo.

A few years ago picked up a men's raincoat at one of the outlets that was inexpensive and I think specifically for the outlets going by the tag. Wish they had had one in women's.

LetItBe

Kementari
Oct. 8, 2008, 12:08 PM
So, SO count me in on the lower-rise, boot cut clan. I would totally buy these if those two things were the case. :yes: I would add, though, that being made in stretch denim (at least for the fleece ones, since fleece has some stretch to it, too, where flannel doesn't) would put another big plus in the "My Shopping List" column... ;)

I would like to take the chance, to, to THANK LL Bean for making women's pants in different lengths!! I just can't wear a regular length unless I want to look like I'm getting ready for the flood :winkgrin:, so I'm often restricted in the brands/styles I can buy, even at good stores (and men's just don't fit me elsewhere ;)) - I ALWAYS love a company that makes their pants in "long!" :yes:

scotchie
Oct. 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
Here is her answer regarding the pants in kid's sizes:

They come in girls and boys
The fleece lined hoodie would be another good item for the barn in the winter I think. And it comes in indigo and brown!

SarahandSam
Oct. 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
Scotchie--do you happen to have a link, if you were referring to fleece-lined kids' pants? Thanks for mentioning it to her, I will definitely buy a pair if they're available... and if not will settle for flannel-lined. (:

I actually am one who likes the "dusty" colours... but agree that petite sizes are great to have. A lot of companies overlook those, especially in pants, and I tend to buy a lot from the few companies that will make petite or short sizes. Then again, I also boycott Sears and Bon-Ton because the bastards don't sell my shoe size. d;

Milocalwinnings
Oct. 8, 2008, 09:33 PM
Only read the first page, so this may have been answered....

These jeans sound great! But I hate ordering jeans without trying them on. What is LL Beans return policy like? Could I order a pair in the size that I think will fit and return it if it turns out not to?

LetItBe
Oct. 8, 2008, 09:59 PM
Only read the first page, so this may have been answered....

These jeans sound great! But I hate ordering jeans without trying them on. What is LL Beans return policy like? Could I order a pair in the size that I think will fit and return it if it turns out not to?

LL Bean has the best return policy in the world. In the case of not fitting you'd have the return shipping to pay or if you've got their credit card returns are no cost.

LetItBe

scotchie
Oct. 9, 2008, 08:18 AM
Here is the link for flannel kids jeans:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=double-l-jeans&categoryId=56978&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503555&cat4=503360&shop_method=pp&feat=503555-tn&np=Y

Hmm- that looks really long! If it doesn't work go to the www.llbean.com (http://www.llbean.com) and click on kids, then pants.

SarahandSam
Oct. 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
Here is the link for flannel kids jeans:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=double-l-jeans&categoryId=56978&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503555&cat4=503360&shop_method=pp&feat=503555-tn&np=Y

Hmm- that looks really long! If it doesn't work go to the www.llbean.com (http://www.llbean.com) and click on kids, then pants.

Thank you... it worked! (:

craz4crtrs
Oct. 10, 2008, 07:33 PM
Just got my flannel lined jeans. If these work out and aren't too warm, I'll try the fleece ones. :)

I bought mens, I was afraid the womens would be too high of cut, and these fit pretty good. I got the "comfort" style, some elastic on the sides and it keeps the waist from gaping. Having long legs, the 34 inseam are great with boots.

I am going camping this weekend and will be walking out with hubby while he's deer hunting. It will be a test. :yes: I also bought a pair of boots that are a crossover hiker/hunting boot. In mens, I have wider feet and sometimes womens are too tight when I have heavier socks on. Size 7 mens is like 9 womens. Boots fit right out of the box. More comfortable now new than the Vasque hikers I have are. Looks like they are going to be my new best barn friend.

Good job LL Bean.

shawneeAcres
Oct. 10, 2008, 10:27 PM
Havenever tried the fleece lined, but being in NC probably don't need them. I LOVE my flannel lined jeans though, I wear them ALL THE TIME in the winter. Have two pairs and they are going on their fourth winter coming up. No problem with them wearing out, I think they wear like IRON.

MistyBlue
Oct. 10, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yup, mine have worn like iron too.
A different color wash for the lined jeans would be nice. It's cute to have different color flannel linings, but unless you cuff them to wear with loafers whilst ambling around antiquing or accidently fall out of your pants nobody is going to see your lining. :winkgrin: I love lighter wash jeans...:yes:
I actually just re-read this thread and went and tried on my fleece lined jeans to make sure, but I don't think they're cut that high in the waist. They're certainly not low cut in any way, shape or form but they're also not armpit cut either. At least not on me and I'm all of 5'2" with longer legs and a shorter torso. :confused: A little lower would be nice because sitting, bending over or riding in them for a while does make them poke into my stomach due to waist height.
Scotchie...here's a next to impossible wish list item for your lovely sister:
Can LL Bean be THE innovators of the clothing industry and invent a toasty fleece anything that is NOT magnetic to bedding, hay, chaff and animal hair??? Please???? I love fleece for the lighter weight, less bulk, warmth and wicking...but I have to use fleece anything as an underlayer because otherwise I have to sit and handpick all the stuff off of it before washing and then do the same after washing again. *sigh* I may have to go order that fleece lined hoodie...

pintopiaffe
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:05 AM
BLEH on the freaking hiphugger bellbottom crowd. :dead:

Sorry, but I am far too old to be wearing that crap. Not to mention it creates bulges where I didn't have any to start with--I've got enough on my OWN without muffin tops. :dead:

Sorry.. .I'm sure the younger, fitter crowd wants to be more hip. And one can hope something as stodgy and historical as LL Bean wouldn't go all hysterical over it.

But MAN I get p*ssed when I go to try to replace work pants and they've 'updated' the look/cut and all that's left is freaking muffintop ridiculousness. It was a bad look for me back then, it's still a bad look.

... not that I have an opinion on it or anything... :uhoh:

Haalter
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
Can LL Bean be THE innovators of the clothing industry and invent a toasty fleece anything that is NOT magnetic to bedding, hay, chaff and animal hair??? Please???? AMEN, sister! I absolutely love fleece, but 5 minutes in the barn and I look like a homeless person. I always take off my fleece to feed hay, but alas it finds me afterward anyhow...

A question from someone who lives nowhere near an LL Beans: help me with the sizing. For example, if I wear a 34 long in tailored sportsmans, what size fleece jeans would I order? It's so hard looking at jean sizing charts because of the variation in where the "waist" is measured...I have jeans of various brands in my closet everywhere from a size "29" to a size "34" that all fit me the same :( I'd love to order a pair of fleece for the winter...they sound absolutely divine! In fact, I wish I had them right now to trudge up to the barn in freezing rain!

Kementari
Oct. 11, 2008, 09:59 AM

Sorry, but I am far too old to be wearing that crap. Not to mention it creates bulges where I didn't have any to start with--I've got enough on my OWN without muffin tops. :dead:

Sorry.. .I'm sure the younger, fitter crowd wants to be more hip. And one can hope something as stodgy and historical as LL Bean wouldn't go all hysterical over it.

But MAN I get p*ssed when I go to try to replace work pants and they've 'updated' the look/cut and all that's left is freaking muffintop ridiculousness. It was a bad look for me back then, it's still a bad look.

... not that I have an opinion on it or anything... :uhoh:

I don't give a rats you-know-what about fashion when I'm at the barn, but jeans that are up at my waist are just very uncomfortable for me - and I know from talking to other people that I'm not alone in this. :yes: I doubt any of us are looking for ultra-low-rise (I know I'm not! ;)), but something that doesn't come all the way to the waist would be nice. None of my jeans are cut that high, but none of them are hip-huggers, either... ;)

As for boot cut (which is really quite different from bell bottoms... :eek:), that just makes sense for those of us who are wearing them over, um, boots. You know, like a person wears to the barn... :p

Angela Freda
Oct. 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
Did anyone mention the fleece and flannel lined jeans available at Gander Mountain stores?
I got mine, iirc, for $20 a pair? I think they are regular waist, though my day to day jeans are low rise.
Those fleece lined jeans with wind pants over them can not be beat in the NY Tundra.
On really cold days that I intended to ride, I have a pair that are a couple sizes larger that I wore OVER my lined breeches, with the wind pants over all that. Kept me toasty during chores, though I couldn't really bend in them so I was SOL if I fell over. :D

MistyBlue
Oct. 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
Haalter, I don't live near any LL Beans either, I do all my buying via online. For the fleece lined jeans I bought a size 6, one size larger than I normally wear in jeans because when I first ordered them I wasn't sure if the fleece lining would make them wear a bit tight and I don't want tight pants to work outside in. Come to find out they run pretty true to regular jean sizes and I'd have fit fine in the 4's most likely...BUT...prefer them one size larger anyways. They're not gaping at the waist or bagging anywhere, quite comfy and if it gets absolutely frigid outside I can still easily fit a pair of legging thermals under them. Haven't found a need to yet though, because if it's single digits and I'm going to be outside plowing snow for a few hours I tend to wear my Carhartt overalls anyways. They're waterproof on top of being warm. Then I can look like a very fashionable orangey brown Michelin Man, LOL!
I'm trying to remember what size britches I wear...but the last few years I've been riding in riding tights 90% of the time and those come in small/medium/large.

WindyIsles
Oct. 11, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Scotchie... could you suggest fleece-lined jeans in kids' sizes please? After reading this thread I want to buy some, but I'm too short to fit adult sizes, and all they have for kids are the flannel-lined. I'll probably get those anyway though. (:

As a less-than-5-feet-shops-in-the-children's-section-girl I second that!!!

fivehorses
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:10 PM
Being an old time bean customer, talking back to the 1970's when we'd make an annual fall trip up to freeport...
now, I have an outlet close by, and in fact, just went and bought my winter gear.

Request...LL Bean use to make a great primaloft nylon jacket...both half zip...the lighter version, and a full zipper that was quite meant for serious winter weather. They made these jackets for years.

I have been looking and they don't make them anymore.

They were the best for the barn...did not collect hair, were rated to -10 or something and so were toasty warm, but did not have any bulk whatsoever and were very easy to move around in.

Can those jackets come back? I loved them, since on cool days, I would wear them, and on brutal winter NH days, I'd wear a fleece jacket or sweatre underneath and never had an issue with being cold, and didn't feel like the michelin man either!

PS, I own 3 fleece jeans and love them. They fit to size and would not be able to deal with winter in just my jeans anymore. Plus, I hate long underwear, so this works for me. Leeps me cozy.

Now, for gloves????warm but not bulky. I buy ems's winter primaloft, but they don't keep me fingers warm.

MistyBlue
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:16 PM
Here's a trick for keeping your fingers warm. Under your regular gloves wear a pair of latex gloves. You can buy them by the bag or box at drug stores. They hold the heat in a lot better and keep fingertips warmer longer. They also keep your hands dry in snowy or rainy weather or if you get your hands wet cleaning buckets or breaking ice.
I had tried ski gloves because they do keep fingers warm...but ski gloves aren't made for doing anything else other than holding ski poles I guess. I couldn't handle a thing in them! I read somewhere else a while back to try rubber or latex surgical type gloves under regular gloves and they work pretty darned well. :D

Camelot
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
Here's a trick for keeping your fingers warm. Under your regular gloves wear a pair of latex gloves. You can buy them by the bag or box at drug stores.

I have Raynaud's and have such a problem with my fingers in the winter time. I've been wearing a pair of Isotoner gloves with a pair of insulated winter work gloves over them. Not ideal but does help if not outside for too long. I will have to try this latex glove idea.

The Isotoner gloves are also great for indoor arena riding in the winter. You can still do buckles and such on the tack and they aren't bulky for holding the reins.

Wait until the right-after-Christmas sale to buy them. I've gotten the ugly colors or patterns that no one wanted for about $6 a pair. I'm on my last leopard print pair right now so will have to watch the dept. store sales this year.

Angela Freda
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
As a less-than-5-feet-shops-in-the-children's-section-girl I second that!!!
I am 5'2"ish and I just found my LL Bean Flannel lined jeans- they are size 4 petites, and the length is fine on them.

Haalter, FYI I normally wear size 26R breeches and size 2 regular jeans, if that helps you size the flannel lined jeans any.

Angela Freda
Oct. 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
I have Raynaud's and have such a problem with my fingers in the winter time. I've been wearing a pair of Isotoner gloves with a pair of insulated winter work gloves over them. Not ideal but does help if not outside for too long. I will have to try this latex glove idea.

The Isotoner gloves are also great for indoor arena riding in the winter. You can still do buckles and such on the tack and they aren't bulky for holding the reins.

Wait until the right-after-Christmas sale to buy them. I've gotten the ugly colors or patterns that no one wanted for about $6 a pair. I'm on my last leopard print pair right now so will have to watch the dept. store sales this year.
Also have rayneuds here.
I loved those thinsulate lined mittens (with a pinkie) they used to make.
For normal chores my pinky went in with the rest of the fingers and they had sueded areas where wear would have made them holey fast. Even with holes they are warmer than most.

My daily hand-wear in winter are leather, rabbit fur lined mittens.

stryder
Oct. 11, 2008, 02:03 PM

amen, sister!
My dream jeans would be at the waist - not above, and surely not more than a half-inch below. And the legs would be straight. Truly, truly I hate the tapered look. One poster called it the dreaded ice-cream-cone thing. I thought that was charitable. And I'm not fond of bootcut. Usually too restrictive through the thigh and knee.

craz4crtrs
Oct. 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
Well, I spent two days in my new LLBeans flannel lined jeans, right out of the package. :lol:

I went with hubby out hunting (I was the scout, I don't hunt). I loved my new jeans. On Sat am, it was 30 degrees with a 25 mph wind and it was cold!! I put my cuddleduds underneath and I was warm all day. I also had my new LLBean hiker/hunting boots and they were wonderful, too.

On Sun am, it was calmer and 30 so I didn't do the cuddleduds. Lots of steep hills up and down, rocky stuff, etc, and my jeans kept me warm. They also protected me when I sat down on a steep hill. :eek: A bruise or two, but not a mark on my jeans. :lol: I had to remove layers on top, it got up to 50, wow, but I wasn't too hot in my new jeans.

They are now in the wash and ready to go back up tomorrow for another couple of days of walking.

I am going to order some fleece lined next. I think these will be fantastic for riding. I also have to plug the fleece lined sweatshirt jacket. I didn't wear it on Sat because of the wind, I wore a different coat, but on Sun I wore it. Very comfy and warm. It also won't gather up hay like straight fleece, but the fleece lining is really nice. The inside of the sleeves are quilted, not fleece though. Easier to put on over layers, helps your sleeves stay down inside the jacket.

LL Bean has now joined Cabelas as my favorite online shopping stores.

jazzrider
Oct. 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't give a rats you-know-what about fashion when I'm at the barn, but jeans that are up at my waist are just very uncomfortable for me - and I know from talking to other people that I'm not alone in this. :yes: I doubt any of us are looking for ultra-low-rise (I know I'm not! ;)), but something that doesn't come all the way to the waist would be nice. None of my jeans are cut that high, but none of them are hip-huggers, either... ;)

As for boot cut (which is really quite different from bell bottoms... :eek:), that just makes sense for those of us who are wearing them over, um, boots. You know, like a person wears to the barn... :p

Well said Kementari. I was going to respond to Pinto's post, since I was the one asking for the lower rise jeans, but you took the words right out of my mouth.

So has anyone found any yet?