PDA

View Full Version : Tracing my Arabian's past (breeder fled country)

drsgerider1
Sep. 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
**I had originally put this in Off Course but someone suggested I might get more information in this forum. I did get contact information for his former trainer, Gordon Potts, so I'll be trying that route as well!**

This isn't out of any medical necessity, or anything like that. I'd done some searching on my horse's past before and hit a few dead ends, so I gave up.

I blame EqTrainer! Just last week after our lesson she made a comment that my horse must've been an awful cute baby and asked if I'd contacted his breeder for a baby picture. Well that did it, now I've been re-inspired to continue the search...

Horse's name is TAF Prometeo, a registered Arabian (AHA#0488152) born in 1992. He was bred by Dr. Jose A Tovar from Magnolia, TX and at some point was at Buck Grass Stables in the same town. He was started in Arab Western Pleasure by Gordon Potts. From TX he came to NC, went through a few owners, and ended up with me, doing dressage. I found the owner before the woman I got him from, but that's as far back as I got.

So, onto tracking this breeder. A little creative Googling and I stumble across a "whoa" moment from some news stories...apparently Dr. Tovar was an anesthesiologist who, after involvement in a death during surgery, resigned from the hospital and left the country (apparently, quickly).

Hmmmm - left the country...well now how do I get in touch with him!? My horse's father was *Padron, so I figured I'd have better luck tracking his past.

I don't know if anyone here as any magical connections in the Arabian world, or knows how to get in touch with Dr. Tovar, or Gordon Potts, or has any helpful hints on how to find an elusive breeder...or just wants to scold EqTrainer for getting me all fired up again. In a really sentimental way, I'd KILL for a baby picture of my guy. In a more practical sense, I'm curious about his upbringing because he's sort of a sensitive, quirky soul.

So...ideas? I figured COTH was a great resource to check into. Thanks in advance!

vineyridge
Sep. 7, 2008, 11:03 AM
Are you a member of the Arabian Horse Association? They have excellent customer service.

If you aren't, you should join. :)

Oh, and please register your dressage Arab with the PHR. Please.

I have a friend who has a 3rd level dressage Arab named Misty Meadows Padorr. Perhaps he's kin to your guy.

If you have the AHA CD or access to their website, you could look him up.

Lou82
Sep. 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
Buck Grass Stables
1 Heritage Cir
Magnolia, TX 77354
Phone: (281) 356-6261

Buck Grass is (or at least was ... it's been 8 years since I moved away from TX and just moved back 3 mo. ago) a nice show barn here in Reg. 9 AHA. Western pl., hunter pl., and saddleseat horses, if I recall correctly. That might be your best bet to start.

Gordon Potts (along with wife Wendy) are some of the more prestigous BNT in Reg. 9. Wendy has trained several Nat'l calibre main ring hunter horses, whereas usually Gordon is in the saddleseat and western horses. They are at the Brass Ring in Burleson.

Everyone is probably back from Canadian Nationals by now, but they will be getting prepped for US Nationals in Oct., so it could take a bit to get a reply.

TAF Prometeo (*Padron x Evora by *Eter). Just glancing over his pedigree, he is primarily Russian on the topside, mostly Polish on the bottomside with I believe a touch of Egyptian (although my Egyptian bloodline knowledge is a little rusty).

It's been awhile since I have been on the Reg. 9 AHA show scene, but I hope this is more helpful than teasing. If I hadn't forgotten to renew my membership, I would look up his show record for you. I forgot because I was graduating and moving from CO to TX and starting my new job.

Lindsay Mathre

smokygirl
Sep. 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Looks like your boy is a 3/4 brother to Anza Padron. Gorgeous EP horse. Padron could really move (when he needed to), and Eter had wonderful movement. I'll see if I can find some info on Anza.. I think he is standing at Stachowski's (?). They have a website. Conway Arabians has two lovely broodmares out of Anza's dam (Eter daughter) who would be kissing cousins to your boy.. and both are producing well for them too.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 7, 2008, 02:04 PM
Why register an Arab PHR?

vineyridge
Sep. 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
Why double register with PHR?

To have one central place that will track all USEF activities and have them available for quick comparison with performance horses of other flavors.

desertmyst
Sep. 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
Buck Grass isn't too far from me, and i've been out there a few times and talked with him. :) Even though at the shows he looked ...umm..unapproachable, in person he is very helpful. If he owned\had your horse at one time i'm sure he remembers or could put you in touch with someone that could help. He's normally always out at the barn during the day.

drsgerider1
Sep. 8, 2008, 10:06 PM
Oh wow - this has been a great help! :)

Desertmyst - do you have any contact info for him?? Please PM me if you do! I'm in NC so I'm not quite close to TX but it's good to know that he's very friendly. Pro would've been there around 1992-1995.

PHR is...?

Lindsay - Wow, thanks!!!! It's nice to be able to put a name (Russian, Polish) to his bloodlines. I looked up his show record and it was neat to see how he did in WP. Thanks for the info on the shows that they'll be going to, I might try again after the October show.

Smoky - Oh wow, I've heard of Anza Padron but didn't realize how closely they were related, that's pretty neat. I'll check out Conway Arabians.

Viney - good idea, I didn't think of the AHA customer service. I'll try that!

Lou82
Sep. 8, 2008, 10:20 PM
I believe the PHR that is being mentioned is referrring to the Performance Horse Registry with USEF.

Lindsay

Elsie
Sep. 23, 2008, 04:15 PM
Google Buck Grass to get the current phone number. His wife is Dex and Buck should be able to help you with any information he has. He and I were showing in Florida (both from there) in the early 60's - can be a little stand-offish in person or at shows but once you introduce yourself is very friendly. If you talk with him tell him I said hi!

Elsie

drsgerider1
Sep. 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
Elsie - Thank you, I will try that!!!! :) I never heard anything from Gordon Potts so I'm still searching...

prizm
Sep. 28, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have TAF Pritza, a national champion bred by Dr. Tovar. Please don't judge him harshly. He apparently did some volunteer work at a children's hospital. One of the young patients had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia and died. If I remember correctly, Dr. Tovar was not found guilty of any wrongdoing.
I bought Pritza thru Buck Grass, and I found Buck and Dex very very easy and nice to deal with. They are both down to earth and very knowledgeable. Call Buck and talk to them about your horse.
Gilda