PDA

View Full Version : Oprah Show

jkt1026
Aug. 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
The newspapers here in Chicago are reporting that Oprah was able to get all 150 recipients of gold medals from the US on one show she is going to tape here, this upcoming Wednesday. Anyone know for sure if McLain. Beezie, Will and/or Laura are planning to make it? (obviously none of the newspapers name the equestrians - Pretty much just Michael Phelps!)

ise@ssl
Aug. 31, 2008, 12:46 AM
not even the prospect of seeing all the medalists together would get me to watch this woman's show.

Kenike
Aug. 31, 2008, 01:30 AM
not even the prospect of seeing all the medalists together would get me to watch this woman's show.

:lol: :lol:

But I am interested in finding out if the USET members will be there.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 31, 2008, 02:17 AM
I cannot imagine they would not be included if she is having all the gold medal winners. The Today show has hosted USET riders in the past.

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2008, 09:23 AM
Can't wait to watch love Oprah she's the best:D

ise@ssl
Aug. 31, 2008, 09:31 AM
She's about the biggest phony on TV.

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2008, 09:42 AM
No way she's doing so much to raise the level of consciousness in humanity. You've already admitted you don't watch the show:D It will be great to see all the gold medalists, does anyone know what day.

jkt1026
Aug. 31, 2008, 11:26 AM
Oh, I don't care for her either, but I'd love to see the jumpers and Aaron Peirsol! :) I've been to a taping of her show (got tickets for my sister's birthday present) - It was the biggest pain in the butt ever - I did get to see Jennifer Aniston though!

They "say" they've got them all, but I don't know that I believe it ...

I've thought she was evil since my days at the bookstore where she would say "read this book" and crazy people everywhere would flock to the store and read the book just because she said so ...

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2008, 11:29 AM
Oh, I don't care for her either, but I'd love to see the jumpers and Aaron Peirsol! :) I've been to a taping of her show (got tickets for my sister's birthday present) - It was the biggest pain in the butt ever - I did get to see Jennifer Aniston though!

I've thought she was evil since my days at the bookstore where she would say "read this book" and crazy people everywhere would flock to the store and read the book just because she said so ...

Give me a break evil:lol::lol::lol::lol: Not everyone is ready for what Oprah is trying to get out there...no worries you have many life times to become enlightened;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080830/ap_en_tv/winfrey_olympians_tickets

Tickets are free.....

akrogirl
Aug. 31, 2008, 12:16 PM

I agree with you 100% re Oprah. On the other hand, Stedman was the guest speaker at a graduation our pipe band played for, and right behind me going in :-) Super nice guy - even better looking in person, very eloquent, and extremely charming and polite in his interactions with the people organizing the proceedings.

Still, my feelings for Oprah aside, I would love to see our equestrian team members get the recognition they deserve.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
It will be interesting - wonder if she will know any equi-speak and sound knowledgeable.... Martha would, though, she's interested in horses and even did a show once on showing!!

Eventrgrl
Aug. 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oprah has invited every US gold-medal-winning Olympian from the Beijing Games to this special show. Whether or not the USET will think its worth it to attend is beyond me. But, I think its safe to say, whether or not they DO make the trip, there will most likely be no more than a mention of them with a quick pass-over of their name, them standing there, etc. I see this show looking more at Phelps, Shaun Johnson, Nastia Luikin, etc as well as "inspirational stories." There are SO many people, teams, etc. and one hr. show is hardly enough time to cover every single one/team thoroughly.

MEP
Aug. 31, 2008, 02:13 PM
I'm going to guess that our Oympians will be on their way to their next horse show, maybe not the Oprah Winfrey show!! :lol:

(You never know though, perhaps the USEF will want them there)

msrobin
Aug. 31, 2008, 03:48 PM

AMEN! She is horrible, I wouldn't pee on her if she was on fire.

Sister Margarita
Aug. 31, 2008, 03:48 PM

Since when is getting "crazy" people to read a book "evil"? Even if it is just some sappy story with no social value, getting someone to pick up a book is a plus, especially in the days of instant-gratification-via-computer.

I know one gal who picked up an "Oprah's Book Club" book, and she was one gal I NEVER saw reading anything but a tabloid. Evil, huh?:confused:

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2008, 03:54 PM
Since when is getting "crazy" people to read a book "evil"? Even if it is just some sappy story with no social value, getting someone to pick up a book is a plus, especially in the days of instant-gratification-via-computer.

I know one gal who picked up an "Oprah's Book Club" book, and she was one gal I NEVER saw reading anything but a tabloid. Evil, huh?:confused:

yea that book by Eckhart Tollle A New Earth now he's an evil SOB...LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol: NOT

So exactly why is she evil??? lol::lol: I'm thinking those that think she's evil should be reading Tolle's book A New Earth. just a suggestion:)

LLDM
Aug. 31, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wow - Oprah is more progressive than I thought! But it wouldn't really be fair to the other medalists. I mean Authentic, Carl, Sapphire and Cedric will most certainly steal the show. :winkgrin: Even a cute little gymnast can't compete with tall, dark and bay.

Heck, I'm sure they will leave her "presents" on the set to remember them by. :p

SCFarm

Mardi
Aug. 31, 2008, 10:39 PM
AMEN! She is horrible, I wouldn't pee on her if she was on fire.

Oh now, come on.

Where did you and Oprah part company ?

Have to say I lost some of that luvin' feelin' when she and her pal Gayle did the drive-themselves-across-the-country series. Oprah does not travel well when she's out of her element, 'er limo. What a pain in the behind ! I felt sorry for Gayle who was trying to have fun and make it an adventure. Oprah just doesn't like to be like the common folk....

lauriep
Sep. 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
But so what? She is human, has earned every last nickel of what she has herself, gives huge amounts of it away, and helps people believe in themselves and strive to be better people. Sometimes she gets a little preachy, but after thousands of people she has listened to on the show, and the hundreds of experts to help them, I would suspect she has learned a few things that she can speak to herself.

Does anyone know what SJ competition would conflict?

ise@ssl
Sep. 1, 2008, 09:39 AM
Women who depend on Oprah Winfrey to tell them what books to buy amaze me. Is it so difficult to take your butt to Borders or Barnes&Noble and LOOK FOR A BOOK TO READ?? If they can't pick out a book - can they dress themselves?

ridgeback
Sep. 1, 2008, 09:42 AM
Women who depend on Oprah Winfrey to tell them what books to buy amaze me. Is it so difficult to take your butt to Borders or Barnes&Noble and LOOK FOR A BOOK TO READ?? If they can't pick out a book - can they dress themselves?

Wow a little harsh and judgemental but how does that make her a phony? I haven't read any of her book club books but I think it's great that people do. Isn't that the point of a book club?

Equibrit
Sep. 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
Why does this matter?

ridgeback
Sep. 1, 2008, 09:46 AM
Why does this matter?

It doesn't:D

Foxtrot's
Sep. 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
...er, actually, .. I need someone to tell me what books to read. So I come on to COTH for advice. More my kind of read, rather than the "I'm down and out but I made it...." kind.

lauriep
Sep. 1, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm always looking for recommendations because I don't have HOURS to sit in B&N or Borders to try and find a book I want to read. So, Oprah helps out in that department. I don't always like her picks, but they are usually interesting. And it has backfired on her, too. Remember the scandal surrounding "A Million Little Pieces?"

Falconfree
Sep. 1, 2008, 06:38 PM

Haha, I worked in a bookstore for a few years too, and wasn't really fond of her because of the crazies who would flood the store for her book recommendations. On the other hand, sometimes they were absolutely hilarious. No less than four people came back to the store after buying Anna Karenina to ask if we had an abridged version. :D

jkt1026
Sep. 1, 2008, 06:50 PM

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to do something just because some stranger you've never met in your life tells you to. Kind of like that "if everyone else jumped off a bridge" saying. Not to mention these women (yes they are mostly women, maybe a man or two in there) acted liked children trying to bust the door down to get a book. (like Anna Karenina which has been around for a long time) Have an original thought of your own I say!

jkt1026
Sep. 1, 2008, 06:51 PM

Thank you. Exactly my thoughts. :)

ridgeback
Sep. 1, 2008, 06:55 PM
I think it is absolutely ridiculous to do something just because some stranger you've never met in your life tells you to. Kind of like that "if everyone else jumped off a bridge" saying. Not to mention these women (yes they are mostly women, maybe a man or two in there) acted liked children trying to bust the door down to get a book. (like Anna Karenina which has been around for a long time) Have an original thought of your own I say!

Maybe y'all need to let go of the anger I'm telling you could use Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth.;):D Do you not know how a book club works? To equate someone telling you to jump off a bridge to someone recommending a book is ridiculous...

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 1, 2008, 06:59 PM
But so what? She is human, has earned every last nickel of what she has herself, gives huge amounts of it away, and helps people believe in themselves and strive to be better people. Sometimes she gets a little preachy, but after thousands of people she has listened to on the show, and the hundreds of experts to help them, I would suspect she has learned a few things that she can speak to herself.

You are right about her charity work.

I don't watch the show now but I used to in Atlanta because my judge's entire staff watched it at 11am each morning.

Anything anyone can do to educate people is great. I'm not always in agreement with her, but she tries to "do good" which is more than a lot of celebrities do.

I don't remember if she rides, though? I know she has the place in, is it Indiana, where she has a lot of dogs, but maybe someone could tell us if she has horses on that farm?

People don't have to go read the books she recommends.
But a lot of us choose our books by what the NY Times recommends, so it's at least a place to start.

Aren't there cliff notes for Anna Karenia?:winkgrin:

danceronice
Sep. 1, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm LOLing because today or possibly late yesterday there was a lovely post to http://community.livejournal.com/customers_suck written as a letter to Oprah from a beleagured bookstore employee. Not that she thinks OPRAH sucks, but the herds of Oprah Zombies who do not understand that 1) she does not know what book they're talking about just because it was ZOMG ON OPRAH! and 2) they do not a memo from Oprah two weeks prior saying what book it's going to be, so if it's something they had two copies of and two other people got there before the Oprah zombie did, it's out of stock and no, they cannot magic one up immediately.

Honestly, if I picked my books based on what the New York Times or Oprah likes, I would probably quit reading, and this from someone who owns over 5000 books herself (if you count my parents and brother we passed 20,000 a mile back. I'm sure some have been NYT bestsellers, in some cases a long, long time ago, but that isn't why they were purchased.)

And if she's got 150 people on, I bet they will get one mass mention and a pan across the crowd.

Unless of course they're Michael Phelps.

ridgeback
Sep. 1, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'm LOLing because today or possibly late yesterday there was a lovely post to http://community.livejournal.com/customers_suck written as a letter to Oprah from a beleagured bookstore employee. Not that she thinks OPRAH sucks, but the herds of Oprah Zombies who do not understand that 1) she does not know what book they're talking about just because it was ZOMG ON OPRAH! and 2) they do not a memo from Oprah two weeks prior saying what book it's going to be, so if it's something they had two copies of and two other people got there before the Oprah zombie did, it's out of stock and no, they cannot magic one up immediately.

Honestly, if I picked my books based on what the New York Times or Oprah likes, I would probably quit reading, and this from someone who owns over 5000 books herself (if you count my parents and brother we passed 20,000 a mile back. I'm sure some have been NYT bestsellers, in some cases a long, long time ago, but that isn't why they were purchased.)

And if she's got 150 people on, I bet they will get one mass mention and a pan across the crowd.

Unless of course they're Michael Phelps.

What is the problem don't clerks in book stores want to work?:lol::lol: Wow so you read a lot congratulations..try a new earth;) you might really enjoy it:)

Fixerupper
Sep. 1, 2008, 10:56 PM
try a new earth;) you might really enjoy it:)

Got it.... so are you an agent for it?

ridgeback
Sep. 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
Got it.... so are you an agent for it?

I wish I could be;):cool:

Mardi
Sep. 2, 2008, 04:24 AM
She is human, has earned every last nickel of what she has herself, gives huge amounts of it away, and helps people believe in themselves and strive to be better people. Sometimes she gets a little preachy, but after thousands of people she has listened to on the show, and the hundreds of experts to help them, I would suspect she has learned a few things that she can speak to herself.

Yes, she's a very accomplished and succesful woman who has had a tremendous influence on many lives.

However it was a surprise to see how she reacted to being out in the "real world" during her drive across country. Her attitude and demeanor did not match that of her pleasant and friendly onstage personna. She had trouble handling the days without her usual comforts.

I believe that she's a very nice person on and off the stage, but we saw a side of her in that series that wasn't anything like the Oprah on tv.

And before you say "so what ?" again....you're right. So what ? Who cares ?

I'm only saying it was interesting to see another side of her personality.

Xhltsalute
Sep. 2, 2008, 05:36 AM
A little diddy from the cult website, about "A New Earth", Eckhart Tolle & Oprah.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general1020.html

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 08:11 AM
A little diddy from the cult website, about "A New Earth", Eckhart Tolle & Oprah.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general1020.html

LOL thank you for making me laugh first thing in the morning..Eckhart Tolle a cult:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

meventer
Sep. 2, 2008, 12:27 PM
Didn't know that it was just gold medalists. Local word here is Gina Miles was asked to be on it and is going....

Glimmerglass
Sep. 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
As I understand this was done (with a lot of cooperation by the USOC) as a chance to show off Chicago which is bidding for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Oprah like most public Chicago figures (Michael Jordan as well) have been asked to help the USOC in that mission ...

If you ask most residents within the city of Chicago (not just Cook County occupants) they would prefer another city win the 2016 games. I certainly would prefer not to see it held here!

KnickerB
Sep. 2, 2008, 01:09 PM

Spruce Meadows Masters is the big conflict.

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 2, 2008, 01:13 PM
Wow have you every traveled cross-country in a car with someone?

It can be difficult.

I once travelled from Berkeley to Atlanta with my then boyfriend, that was a trip I never want to go thru again.

Maybe Oprah can recommend some horse topic books, and then there will really be a run on the Barnes and Nobles.

She grew up poor, and so she should enjoy the $$ she has made. I know she has that farm in Indiana and lots of dogs, but cannot remember ever seeing her with horses, unlike Martha who has the friesians.

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 01:44 PM
Wow have you every traveled cross-country in a car with someone?

It can be difficult.

I once travelled from Berkeley to Atlanta with my then boyfriend, that was a trip I never want to go thru again.

Maybe Oprah can recommend some horse topic books, and then there will really be a run on the Barnes and Nobles.

She grew up poor, and so she should enjoy the $$ she has made. I know she has that farm in Indiana and lots of dogs, but cannot remember ever seeing her with horses, unlike Martha who has the friesians.

She did have horses on that farm but I'm not sure if she still does. I think she is having more then just gold medal winners on the show I don't think we got 150 gold medals.

springer
Sep. 2, 2008, 03:24 PM

You've gotta wonder about someone who does an episode preaching about how wasteful all of us Americans are; this coming from a woman who has, oh, around 6 fully staffed (and yes- heated/air conditioned) residences. I would have loved to see someone call her on it. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when I watched her that day.

Mozart
Sep. 2, 2008, 03:31 PM

Bigger than Dr. Phil??

I'm not a member of the Oprah fan club...but at least she gets some people reading that might not otherwise. I consider that A Good Thing.

springer
Sep. 2, 2008, 03:39 PM
Bigger than Dr. Phil??

I'm not a member of the Oprah fan club...but at least she gets some people reading that might not otherwise. I consider that A Good Thing.

No, I think the two of them are about equal in that regard. Preach-y Dr. Phil doesn't even have a medical degree. I'm not sure how he's allowed to promote a show which calls him one.

Mozart
Sep. 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
I gather he has a PhD in something..like pyschology or education or something. Much like Dr. Ruth or Dr. Laura.

Or maybe a PhD in bullying, which is what he does best. ;)

Glimmerglass
Sep. 2, 2008, 03:55 PM
She did have horses on that farm but I'm not sure if she still does.

That farm is long gone from her ownership: her LaPorte County, Indiana farm was sold in 2003 (http://www.forbes.com/2003/09/19/cx_bs_0918movers.html) and is privately owned today (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5253/is_200706/ai_n20203352)

This bit of worthless "news" banter regarding the Oprah show (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012062360)

The United States won 36 gold medals in Beijing, but the number of athletes on Oprah's stage would be far more when you consider that the basketball team and the volleyball teams have many members. And what about the American equestrian team -- four riders and four horses. Let's hope those four horses enjoy their 15 minutes of fame on Oprah.

With or without the horses it sounds like a gold medal moment ...

Regarding Gina Miles: KSBYNBC6 8-30-08"Central Coast welcomes home Olympic silver medalist Gina Miles" (http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=8919316)

As for Mc Kinlaugh, he will board a cargo plane in Amsterdam and arrive in Los Angeles on Sunday. So there is another happy homecoming still to come for the Central Coast's Olympic champion, who plans to go for the gold in 2012 in London.

Gina's wild ride will continue in the coming weeks. She will fly to Chicago to be on "Oprah" with other American medalists on September 3. She will also attend a ceremony at the White House on October 6.

Xhltsalute
Sep. 2, 2008, 07:45 PM
...I don't think we got 150 gold medals.

DUH....................she's having all the medal winners, which includes all the members of TEAMS in some instances.

Edited to remove the word gold which is what I meant to say. DUH to me.

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
DUH....................she's having all the gold medal winners, which includes all the members of TEAMS in some instances.

No really:) Pretty sure if you ad the showjumping team, the basket ball team, the softball teams(oh yea didn't win gold) and the volley ball teams it still doesn't ad up to 175 gold medals...I'm sure she's invited all medal winners but that is only a guess on my part;)

SuperSTB
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'll skip the Oprah show- thank you very much. Watching them win Gold on TV was enough for me. I tivo'd the events. What is she going to do with them all there anyway. It's not like she can talk to each and everyone.

Say thank you by supporting their respective sports (events) not by tuning in to the Oprah show and hence rewarding her and thus corporate advertising. I think it'd be a different story if she was talking to each sport and helping to educate others on what the gold medalist sport (and challenges) are about.

Didn't Oprah promote that crap "The Secret"? She lost my attention many years ago. She's a 'limited' philanthropist at best anyway. So I can give her a little credit for that much. Oh and Dr.Phil thanks to HER we know have to hear about this gift to society- about a priceless as petrified racehorse poop you can buy at the Racing Hall of Fame gift shop (keeping it horse related).

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'll skip the Oprah show- thank you very much. Watching them win Gold on TV was enough for me. I tivo'd the events. What is she going to do with them all there anyway. It's not like she can talk to each and everyone.

Say thank you by supporting their respective sports (events) not by tuning in to the Oprah show and hence rewarding her and thus corporate advertising. I think it'd be a different story if she was talking to each sport and helping to educate others on what the gold medalist sport (and challenges) are about.

Didn't Oprah promote that crap "The Secret"? She lost my attention many years ago. She's a 'limited' philanthropist at best anyway. So I can give her a little credit for that much. Oh and Dr.Phil thanks to HER we know have to hear about this gift to society- about a priceless as petrified racehorse poop you can buy at the Racing Hall of Fame gift shop (keeping it horse related).

The Secret is crap??? ROTLMAO Maybe change your negative attitude you might see the secret/ the law of the universe works:)

SuperSTB
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:28 PM
Wow jealous much?

jealous- of what?

The Oprah show is not exactly the best place to showcase Olympians.... someone can do much better than that. The Olympians and their sports deserve better than that :D

SuperSTB
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Secret is crap??? ROTLMAO Maybe change your negative attitude you might see the secret/ the law of the universe works:)

You wanna change your response again?

The "Secret" has been debunked and debated up the wazoo. It's cultish at best. The secret is NOT the "law of the universe". Ahhh marketing scemes at it's best.

Hand over the carrot stick :lol:

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:32 PM
jealous- of what?

The Oprah show is not exactly the best place to showcase Olympians.... someone can do much better than that. The Olympians and their sports deserve better than that :D

Well is anyone else stepping up to the plate to do it? Someone already said that she's doing it because Chicago is bidding for the olympics... I'm sure most of the olympians are excited about this so lets not pee on their parade:) gee whiz

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
You wanna change your response again?

The "Secret" has been debunked and debated up the wazoo. It's cultish at best. The secret is NOT the "law of the universe". Ahhh marketing scemes at it's best.

Hand over the carrot stick :lol:

Yes I did change it because I re-read it and realized it wasn't a fair comment:D So you mean ALL religions are cults since every one of them from Hindu, Buddhism and Christianity say that in fact that is the law of the universe...you might want to check with a scientist about this;)

SuperSTB
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yes I did change it because I re-read it and realized it wasn't a fair comment:D So you mean ALL religions are cults since every one of them from Hindu, Buddhism and Christianity say that in fact that is the law of the universe...you might want to check with a scientist about this;)

ROTFLOL!
Religion- cults- law of the universe- and scientist all in one sentence when talking about the secret!

This christian must truly concede the discussion on that little gem of a quote and return you all to your regularly scheduled horse program...

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:52 PM
ROTFLOL!
Religion- cults- law of the universe- and scientist all in one sentence when talking about the secret!

This christian must truly concede the discussion on that little gem of a quote and return you all to your regularly scheduled horse program...

AMEN;) just fyi the secret isn't a secret nor new it just wasn't known to the masses...LOL and this buddhist agrees to return this to regularly scheduled horse program:lol::lol::lol::lol:

spotted mustang
Sep. 2, 2008, 10:05 PM
why does it always have to be the Gold medalists? How boring. Why not invite all the last place finishers from each competition? Now THAT's a show I would want to watch.

jkt1026
Sep. 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
I am sure she will have some of the hometown heroes who didn't get a gold (Now that I think of it). The one swimmer, last name is Magnuson and for some reason I am blanking on her first name, is a silver medal winner, and I can't imagine they would leave her out. She is from the town next to me and she's been all over the news here.

As for the Olympics here - I'd love it. The opportunity to watch (and volunteer) for my two favorite sports would be great (equestrian and badminton). I work in HR and I think from that perspective it might be a logistical nightmare and I'd hate to be in charge of hiring for that ;) but I think it would be cool.

spotted mustang
Sep. 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
The opportunity to watch (and volunteer) for my two favorite sports would be great (equestrian and badminton). .

oooh - someone else likes badminton. How cool. The fastest game with a racket. Wicked conditioning. Footwork, yay! And those cute, lithe Chinese guys...

:):):)

ridgeback
Sep. 2, 2008, 10:19 PM
why does it always have to be the Gold medalists? How boring. Why not invite all the last place finishers from each competition? Now THAT's a show I would want to watch.

The U.S. won 36 gold medals and 8 of those were from Michael Phelps and she's inviting 175 olympians...pretty sure it's all medal winners:D Total medals for the U.S. was 110...so 175 makes sense...That would stink if it was only gold medal winners.

DMK
Sep. 2, 2008, 11:28 PM
jealous- of what?

Elitist much?

Look I don't watch and haven't ever watched Oprah. My beginning and end of my Oprahness is to appreciate the fine job she did in the Color Purple.

So that said, I couldn't begin to scribble out a post saying the Olympians deserve better. Because if not Oprah then who? You? Do YOU have one of the largest mass audience appeal and coverage out there? I'm inclined to think what the vast majority of olympians who are struggling to make a living AND excel in a sport that does NOT provide them with sponsor appeal a la Michael Phelps need is some recognition from just about anybody with any degree of clout. I doubt they are so picky as to quibble about your concerns for what they might need, and if that were the case, that's the beuty of Oprah. Nobody is forcing them to show up.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Aint that the truth. All athletes (barring the few that are already at the top) need finanial help to get them where they need to go and the value of the publicity a show like Oprah can give them is incalculable.

SuperSTB
Sep. 3, 2008, 12:32 AM
Aint that the truth. All athletes (barring the few that are already at the top) need finanial help to get them where they need to go and the value of the publicity a show like Oprah can give them is incalculable.

I beg to differ because the Oprah show will likely just contain them all in one room to say Congrats for our medalists, which is fine, but to elude to thinking it could propel equestrian events or any other into a larger fan base is a bit far fetched. (It's got nothing to do with elitism or jealousy or whatever unless you want to call me a realist).

In one show- if the equestrian team medalists were there with everyone else- how much time dedication do you honestly think it (equestrian) would get?

Taking it for what it could be at most- a yippee party- again which is fine if that's what you expect of it.

Xhltsalute
Sep. 3, 2008, 03:07 AM
Maybe change your negative attitude you might see the secret/ the law of the universe works:)

OMG............you believe everything you read. Both those books your touting are crap.

jkt1026
Sep. 3, 2008, 04:15 AM
oooh - someone else likes badminton. How cool. The fastest game with a racket. Wicked conditioning. Footwork, yay! And those cute, lithe Chinese guys...

:):):)

Yup. And every Olympics since 1996, at least one of the people I trained with when I was in high school represented the US. This year it was Howard Bach. He was about 12 or 13 when I was a senior in high school. It's pretty cool to see him on TV etc. since badminton is such a small sport here. I have the opportunity to coach for the Chicago Park District program that they are starting here to prove to the USOC that Chicago can draw all kinds of sporting events, so I am pretty pumped up and excited! :) Cheers!

Alagirl
Sep. 3, 2008, 08:07 AM

after not having read in decades... what's wrong with that, taking a pointer, EVEN from Oprah. I mean YOU don't have to read it. I know unless it was coincidence I haven't...but then again, I could live at BAM and B&N

ridgeback
Sep. 3, 2008, 08:28 AM
OMG............you believe everything you read. Both those books your touting are crap.

OMG.....so all the ancient religions who have said this for thousands of years are crap??? I was only responding about one book called The Secret which is a great title since Jesus, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Krisna all talked about this. It really doesn't matter if people believe in it or not it's kinda like Karma it's there regardless if you believe it;)

Moderator 1
Sep. 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
Please keep the discussion horse/Olympics-related vs. a thread about Oprah.

Thanks!
Mod 1

DMK
Sep. 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
I beg to differ because the Oprah show will likely just contain them all in one room to say Congrats for our medalists, which is fine, but to elude to thinking it could propel equestrian events or any other into a larger fan base is a bit far fetched.

Maybe. Probably. But you just never know do you? Sometimes it is that one person's personal interest story that propels a sport along with it. Not always, and indeed rarely. But it does happen and it helps everyone in that sport. It may happen here or it may not and it's no more (or less) likely to happen with equestrian than any other lesser watched sport, now is it? However the odds are higher than if they NEVER get any media recognition, right?

I dunno, saying an Oprah appearance is a waste of their time seems so at odds with the ever present complaining about how we never get any decent media coverage of our sport. Honestly, who else wants that serving of cake to have and eat to?

Glimmerglass
Sep. 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
It is being filmed this morning a block or so from my office .... Tribune lists the 'guest list' (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/09/the-full-guest.html)

Equestrian (Men's)
Will Simpson

Equestrian (Women's)
Laura Kraut, Gina Miles

Blinky
Sep. 3, 2008, 11:29 AM
The commercials are touting over 100 Medalists. I think it is cool that she is showcasing many medalists not just gold winners. Plus how often do we forget these athletes after the Olympics are over. So I say Bravo Oprah.

jkt1026
Sep. 3, 2008, 11:31 AM
It is being filmed this morning a block or so from my office .... Tribune lists the 'guest list' (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/09/the-full-guest.html)

You beat me to it! :) On the radio this morning they said they arrived on 4 double decker buses....

DMK
Sep. 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
sort of like Will won his on a different team than Laura? ;) There's your story right there. How many gold medalists compete on equal footing?

Wanderluster
Sep. 4, 2008, 01:25 AM
Anyone who promotes literacy is OK by me. I do not depend on Oprah or any other celebrity to advance which books are on my nightstand but I am always interested in finding new authors who's books I might find interesting.
I am however happy to see that someone who has the ability to reach an audience of otherwise uninformed TV watchers introduce the sport of equestrian show jumping, eventing, dressage. It is an uphill battle to make our sport understandable and shed the elitist connotation. If there is a television celebrity that is personally interested then I give them a whole hearted approval for their effort. We recieve so little publicity- aknowledgement as it is that I know more than a few people that asked me not to mention the outcome of the events because they had not yet watched the rides and they had no idea of the outcome because the olympic commentators had not reported the winners. :no:

Foxtrot's
Sep. 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
Let's just say it cannot hurt - one would be an idiot to assume it would all of a sudden morphe into extra funding for an Olympian, and to have such expectations is not what people are saying. But publicity is always a good thing. The Olympics is such a short lived moment, I'm glad she's even giving them airtime since it is past news. One will have to wait for the show to decide if it gives anyone any quality airtime.

I happen to think that Olympians are an inspiration and present wonderful role models for a lot of people that Oprah might reach.

slc2
Sep. 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
I can't understand how anyone can dislike a person who runs a talk show among other things because she recommends some books to read.

Xhltsalute
Sep. 4, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not JUST about the books she recommends. It's about much more.

slc2
Sep. 4, 2008, 08:08 PM
Nothing mentioned is even remotely worthy of even the briefest indignation, I'm more interested in dressage related subjects.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 4, 2008, 10:10 PM
...so if Oprah had dressage riders on, you would watch, nothing else? Haw, haw.

slc2
Sep. 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
That's not the point. I see no reason to get so inflamed about someone on TV. If she was in my yard, urinating on my party guests, perhaps, but it would depend on how drunk I was.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 5, 2008, 12:25 AM
...how charming.

tenacity
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
Wow, this thread got ridiculously off-topic.

I was in the audience for this show. Obviously, there was no piece done on the equestrian team, but they were there and announced. It was fun to have the opportunity to cheer for them!! I am proud of the team and thrilled that they at least received recognition in popular media with international scale.

freestyle2music
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
Can somebody tell me who Oprah is ?

slc2
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:26 PM
She has a kind of 'lifestyle' tv show, much like many people have these days, in which she interviews television and movie celebrities, talks about some social causes, has a list of favorite books to read...junk like that. Some peopel despise her. She is African-American, and has made a lot of money doing tv shows.

Making fun of Oprah is kind of an American hobby....for some....

tenacity
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:32 PM
Oprah...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah_Winfrey
http://www.oprah.com/index

freestyle2music
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:44 PM
She has a kind of 'lifestyle' tv show, much like many people have these days, in which she interviews television and movie celebrities, talks about some social causes, has a list of favorite books to read...junk like that. Some peopel despise her. She is African-American, and has made a lot of money doing tv shows.

Making fun of Oprah is kind of an American hobby....for some....

Thanks, I think we have the same kind of program, but our Oprah is called Ivo Niehe, and I remember that Oprah was in his program last year.

Did she support Obama ?

Theo

Sandy M
Sep. 5, 2008, 02:59 PM

Thank you. It's is truly hard to believe how people eat up this nonsense as if it were a great revelation/Truth.

ridgeback
Sep. 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I think we have the same kind of program, but our Oprah is called Ivo Niehe, and I remember that Oprah was in his program last year.

Did she support Obama ?

Theo

She is one of the most powerful people in the U.S. because of her viewership.

ridgeback
Sep. 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thank you. It's is truly hard to believe how people eat up this nonsense as if it were a great revelation/Truth.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 5, 2008, 03:07 PM

Did she support Obama ?

Theo

Yes she supposts Obama, but she has been flamed by black leaders for having "too many whites" on her staff. I didn't like it that she dumped the Clintons, she had been pretty nice to them over the years, especially since Bill had been the only white kid in school in Arkansas who had black kids over to his house to spent the night way back in grammar school, but I can understand her position now, alto I wanted a woman for president.

Horse wise, she is pretty supportive of dogs and all, don't think she rides much if at all. But she is culturally American, not African-American, she is American and transcends race. She helps out people without regard to their race, but a lot of people don't like a woman who is smart and assertive, when she was traveling across American, one guy on camera called her a "black B____", (girl dog), and a lot of people think she should not have her own opinions.

Well heck, Monday is it? She will have all the Olympians on her show, regardless of race, creed, religion, sex, sexual preference, etc, and I'm watching if I get back from the barn in time and if Hurricane Ike doesn't swing this way.

If everyone on here disliked all the talk show hosts, mainly on radio, who spew venom about race and religion, all the white males who are such bigots, then it would be great.

And btw, I'll take anyone's suggestions on books to read, not just Oprah. I read that "Deep End of the Ocean" on her suggestion and it sucked. I find the NY time book list and review to be better suited to my reading choices, but I don't get angry over it! I guess the horse books that infrequently appear are ok.

Keep1Belle
Sep. 5, 2008, 05:13 PM
the pc ate my last post..ugh

Just wanted to join iun and be OT to make a quick point that I am sure will come up again in the coming months.

Often times on COTH there will be a post regarding race/diversity in our sport. Many often say they dont care if the rider is blue or green and race is a non-issue, blah blah. Which is fine.

My point is in a thread that had nothing to do with race. we were pointing out Oprah and having Olympians as guest on her show. We somehow managed to inject race.

i say this to say that while its not a big issue it certainly is not a non-issue. Race, most usually, and at times does age, sex, insert any other category play a pat in the "back story" or overall context.

Freestyle asked who Oprah was. Fair question. 2 COTHers to offer an explanation felt that noting she was black would add something to the context to help the person better understand who Oprah is and her effect on pop culture in America.

Not verbatim but it was stated" Oprah, an african american talk show host..." " many blacks believe oprah is too white" " Oprah supported the Clintons who are white but very friendly towards blacks as Bill grew up with Blacks.... but now supports Obama"

I am not trying to split hairs although it may come off that way. Nor, am I trying to be snippy. I just want to make this point so that in a few months when we have another "race/diversity" thread and people chime inthat race does matter that all the "rose-colored glasses", naieve and/or close-minded folks don't chime in saying that race is a non-issue not worth stating o COTH.

Happy Friday to all.

spotted mustang
Sep. 5, 2008, 06:23 PM
I gather he has a PhD in something..like pyschology or education or something. Much like Dr. Ruth or Dr. Laura.

Or maybe a PhD in bullying, which is what he does best. ;)

so how come that if you have a PhD and end up on TV, you have to lose your last name?

Santpoort
Sep. 5, 2008, 07:38 PM
Theo, Oprah's show can be seen in NL, on RTL4 Ma-Vr 16:05-17:00 or 23:45-0:40. She is pretty popular there as far as I hear from friends & family in NL...She has a magazine that is kind of like the one Linda de Mol has, with herself on the cover every month (except it appeals to a wider age-group than Linda's).

Groetjes,
Debbie

SuperSTB
Sep. 5, 2008, 07:58 PM
I do not *dislike* her in the least. She has done some fabulous things in the world, her show in the past were great and she still has some really excellent shows now. But the Oprah show is afterall in my opinion- just another TV show. Many her her die hard fans immortalize her.

Just read some comments on this particular thread that touted an 'Oprah Effect' (and yes that's a term used many times in media) on equestrian sports and I disagreed.

As to the Oprah Effect... it's done some good things and some not so good things. Nowadays the Oprah Effect is large and many times over the top.

Edited to add:

The "Oprah Effect" has been credited through some media outlets as a substantial reason why Obama had such early 'fame' in the primaries for Oprah come out strong in support of him.

springer
Sep. 5, 2008, 08:09 PM
Can somebody tell me who Oprah is ?

What planet do you live on?

freestyle2music
Sep. 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
What planet do you live on?

Are you Jerry ?

only_sunshine
Sep. 5, 2008, 10:20 PM
It will be interesting - wonder if she will know any equi-speak and sound knowledgeable.... Martha would, though, she's interested in horses and even did a show once on showing!!

Martha Stewart's daughter rode horseback. I board with a woman who once instructed the kid. I think she was an event rider, but she might have been a hunter.

NeuroticShowMom
Sep. 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
I am surprised by such vitriol against Oprah. Horsewomen are usually strong and independent. I would've at least expected some props given for her tremendous accomplishments against some serious odds. Even if you disagree with her opinion on some matters.

IMHO, over the years she has developed a bit of an ego(how could she not), likes to hear herself speak a little too much for me, so I don't watch so much anymore. But jeez, she is one hella of a self-made woman, and she's got my respect.

Glad the USET gold medal winners got to be recognized on a highly viewed show!

ridgeback
Sep. 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
I am surprised by such vitriol against Oprah. Horsewomen are usually strong and independent. I would've at least expected some props given for her tremendous accomplishments against some serious odds. Even if you disagree with her opinion on some matters.

IMHO, over the years she has developed a bit of an ego(how could she not), likes to hear herself speak a little too much for me, so I don't watch so much anymore. But jeez, she is one hella of a self-made woman, and she's got my respect.

Glad the USET gold medal winners got to be recognized on a highly viewed show!

Excellent post:)

Dune
Sep. 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
Are you Jerry ?

Good one, Theo! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
Why don't those who want to watch the Olympians on Oprah Monday do so;
and those who don't want to watch anything on Oprah tune her out?

I think the OP posted so that people would know that the Olympians would be on Oprah, if anyone wanted to watch them and see if the Equestrians will be interviewed.

I'd like to see the horses on the show. Horses have been on Martha (altho at her farm with Conan so funny riding one, and on Letterman (on the street outside) riding a horse. Too bad the horses won't be on Oprah.

2DogsFarm
Sep. 6, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oprah brought herself and several of her staff to a stable I worked at in the late 80s.
They came for lessons in the evenings and Oprah rode a horse belonging to a friend of mine*.
Shortly after she purchased her farm in LaPorte, IN and had horses there.
I have no idea if she still rides and I beleive the farm is for sale.

Anyone want an autograph? {kidding!}

*Mary R - it was your Cisco graced by Herself's butt

Moderator 1
Sep. 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
Again, this horse-related board isn't the place to debate the relative merits of Oprah. Please restrict commentary to horse-related aspects of our Olympic equestrians' appearance on her show.

Thanks!
Mod 1

ridgeback
Sep. 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
Laura and Will sure looked like they were having a blast as Oprah was calling them all in:D That must have been so fun for them to meet all the other olympians since they weren't able to stay in the Olympic Village. Nice job Oprah!

ellemayo
Sep. 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
Its a shame that only a few of the sports were really mentioned during the show... I understand that they have to cater to the masses, but it seems a little sad to have all of those people sitting on the stage for an hour while Oprah only talks to the few who everyone already knows the most about anyway.

ridgeback
Sep. 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
:sigh: I bet you Laura, Gina and Will were happy they weren't interviewed I know I wouldn't want to be.. This was for them not for equestrian sports, they got to meet all those famous olympians what a treat... I bet they had a blast.:yes:

Moderator 1
Sep. 9, 2008, 09:12 AM
We removed several OT posts (and the reactions to them), per our previous note.

Thanks,
Mod 1

slc2
Sep. 9, 2008, 09:13 AM
Oh My Flippin' Peruvian Baby Pancakes!

A NEW COH WORD!!!!! Gimme that COH Lexicon and a Pen!

MODINATOR!!!!

Equinoxfox
Sep. 9, 2008, 09:18 AM
Wow I see some of us can not voice our opinions here but yet others can.
talk about showing your true colors. whatever. now i see how this board is ran / operated. just a observation ;)

MaryG reader
Sep. 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
Our Canadian equestrian medalists have been invited on some big TV shows in Canada. Apparently they are not doing any media. There was a thread running EMG but it got shut down (like so much does on EMG). Some people seemed pretty annoyed at their attitude. I mean, it's not just about them. The whole industry stands to benefit.

I'm glad to hear that Laura and Will took part. I'm not an Oprah watcher either, but it's not about that. It's about getting the sport whatever exposure a medal can get it.

dray
Mar. 15, 2009, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't watch Oprah if it was the last TV show on earth. I even try to avoid her book club books.

Kimberlee
Mar. 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't watch Oprah if it was the last TV show on earth. I even try to avoid her book club books.

Okay - this thread was from Sept of 2008. Why did you bring it up again???? Just to say you wouldn't watch Oprah. Did you do a "search" for "Oprah"?

SuperSTB
Mar. 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
holy resurrected thread batman!

ridgeback
Mar. 18, 2009, 06:42 PM

Can you read:lol::lol::winkgrin: Breathe and let go of the anger to be so worked up about someone you don't even know is a bit silly.

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
Can you read:lol::lol::winkgrin: Breathe and let go of the anger to be so worked up about someone you don't even know is a bit silly.

:lol::lol::lol:I'm still watching Oprah whether or not she still has her farm and horses (if she had horses) in Indiana.
Go Oprah!

dray
Mar. 18, 2009, 11:00 PM
I just cruised this board for the first time last week and saw the thread. Didn't mean to open an old wound.

I'm not angry at all...just choose not to watch the big O and don't need her to select books for me. I'm never in the house when she is on anyway.

Mozart
Mar. 19, 2009, 01:47 PM

Too bad about the books. Some of them are really good. My book club has read a number of books that are subsequently picked by her for her "book club". We are not sure how we feel about that but we still like the books.

dray
Mar. 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
Having said what I did, I think THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES was on her list. I really don't boycott her book club books...like some others here, I know people who set their schedules by Oprah's show and quote her.....there are smoe good books in her queue. I'm sorry. I jsut don't agree with ehr political views.

Moderator 1
Mar. 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
This forum does provide an opportunity to easily poke around in the Olympic-era threads, so dray probably genuinely wasn't seeking out Oprah threads! :lol:

That being said, this is an old thread and the episode it referenced is long over, so we'll close it down to avoid any further confusion.

Thanks!
Mod 1