PDA

View Full Version : Much intimidation for the Olympic Dressage Judges in Hongkong

freestyle2music
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:10 AM
Dutch Olympic judge Gislaine Fouarge complaint about the hugh intimidations from riders, trainers and coaches, during the last Olympics in HongKong, allthough he also mentioned that the riders, trainers and coaches didn't intimidate himself, he whitnessed many stalking and intimidations directed to his collegues. Head of the KNHS George de Jongh suggested that the FEI should start working with yellow and red cards, because he thinks that the judges can't functions under these circumstances.

canyonoak
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:53 AM
Oh goody: the judges fight back!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Well, can't blame them, they are after all fighting for their professional lives.

freestyle2music
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
Oh goody: the judges fight back!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Well, can't blame them, they are after all fighting for their professional lives.

Professional Lives ????

You probably mean to say addiction to POWER, because professional means to me "earning some bucks" .

Theo

canyonoak
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, they earn big bucks -- just not directly through judging fees.

LOL

SGray
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:01 PM
so strange

I'd think the judges could be intimidated by FEI officials - that riders could be intimidated by judges -- but judges intimidated by riders???

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:15 PM
Is he saying that there were attempts to intimidate / influence the judges at the Games? Are the riders / trainers even allowed to have any contact with the judges during the Games?
(I know there was some late night meeting, but I also know it led to an investigation so I am wondering what the rule is on this).

SGray
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
perhaps highlighted pages from FEI rulebook were slipped under some doors?

egontoast
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:38 PM
How can they be intimidated unless they allow themselves to be intimidated?

They should not be in communication with individual competitors other than officially. They should avoid socializing with the competitors because this presents the opportunity for real or apparent bias.

It's easy to avoid intimidation if you make it impossible.

3Dogs
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
egontoast - agree with you. I did wonder what sort of "intimidation" tactics were used?

was it like:

"we won't buy horses from you anymore"??:lol:

Ambrey
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:51 PM

I can see how that would be intimidating.

Coreene
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:59 PM
They should avoid socializing with the competitors because this presents the opportunity for real or apparent bias. Sort of like when the American judge went to the party celebrating the German's gold medal at WEG in '06.

dutchmike
Aug. 21, 2008, 03:58 PM
Can't take the heat?. Stay out of the kitchen:cool:. Had to be the dutch judge. Why do the majority of dutch people always complain?.

Mardi
Aug. 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
Dutch Olympic judge Gislaine Fouarge complaint about the huge intimidations from riders, trainers and coaches, during the last Olympics in HongKong, allthough he also mentioned that the riders, trainers and coaches didn't intimidate himself.....

Well of course he wouldn't be included.

I doubt that Sjef and Anky felt the need. :)

But seriously, how are judges able to come in contact with the competitors ? I thought they were sequestered, or something similar.

freestyle2music
Aug. 21, 2008, 04:55 PM
Can't take the heat?. Stay out of the kitchen:cool:. Had to be the dutch judge. Why do the majority of dutch people always complain?.

Learn to read please :confused::mad:

It probably was OK that the Dutch complained about the judging (after Anky had won gold) and for the benefit of Steffen Peters. When you hate the Dutch so much, please change your name.

Theo

dutchmike
Aug. 21, 2008, 05:12 PM
Learn to read please :confused::mad:

It probably was OK that the Dutch complained about the judging (after Anky had won gold) and for the benefit of Steffen Peters. When you hate the Dutch so much, please change your name.

Theo

I can't:no:. Dutch pasport etc ces't la vie. I feel more portuguese then dutch though to be honest having spend most of my life in Portugal

SGray
Aug. 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
I just would have thought that after the years spent judging at national levels, then international levels, before being promoted to "O" status....that it would take an Uzi to intimidate them

Sithly
Aug. 21, 2008, 05:16 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Mozart
Aug. 21, 2008, 05:47 PM
I would love to hear what the specific allegations of intimidation are. Glaring at them in the washroom? Kicking sand in their faces? Gangster hand signals? Invasions of their personal space while in line at the concession stand?

Come on M. Fouarge, don't be a tease.

Coral
Aug. 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
I would love to hear what the specific allegations of intimidation are. Glaring at them in the washroom? Kicking sand in their faces? Gangster hand signals? Invasions of their personal space while in line at the concession stand?

Maybe they threatened to "make them piaffe" the old fashioned way! :lol:

egontoast
Aug. 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=3463057#post3463057)

Maybe they threatened to "make them piaffe" the old fashioned way! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 21, 2008, 06:40 PM

I am actually really curious, considering that my family received death threats (and someone painted a massive swastika on our barn) after winning a particular championship at Madison Square Garden one year and we had to hire security for a time. And certainly in other Olympic sports, there have been allegations of intimidation tactics being used (e.g., ice dancing).

freestyle2music
Aug. 21, 2008, 08:16 PM
Some years ago I heard a horseowner scream at a judge "Heee I know exactly how your children go to school".

The thing I know from my sources at Hongkong is, that it never has been so bad, with name calling and stalking of the judges.

Why do you think that the FEI (Withages) has arranged two meetings with the countries and judges involved in the finals, in the middle of the night ?

Theo

Mike Matson
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
Why do you think that the FEI (Withages) has arranged two meetings with the countries and judges involved in the finals, in the middle of the night ?

To announce the winners? ;)

petitefilly
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
It all sounds so "cloak and dagger"! :) Maybe they should hire body guards. Some big dudes with mullets, or large bulges in their jackets (guns), or even a few guys with M16s and bandoliers!

Judges get mean! ~"Hey, dddddude, get off my cloud".

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
It all sounds so "cloak and dagger"! :) Maybe they should hire body guards. Some big dudes with mullets, or large bulges in their jackets (guns), or even a few guys with M16s and bandoliers!

Judges get mean! ~"Hey, dddddude, get off my cloud".

Or they could just disclose the names of people who pull stunts and file protests.

dutchmike
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a load of BS to me

Mardi
Aug. 22, 2008, 01:29 AM
To announce the winners? ;)

LOL !

OMG that is so funny... thank you.

silver2
Aug. 22, 2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post

Probably they threatened to have them banned from the bar. Having worked for several judges that is the threat I would use.

Mardi
Aug. 22, 2008, 01:34 AM
Every time he posts something serious, we get silly and make fun of it.

Theo: I appreciate the news from the front lines. Honest.

But back here in the barracks, we can't help but have a giggle about some it.

Hope you understand....

Equa
Aug. 22, 2008, 01:42 AM
I heard that there was a streaker - maybe that was meant to intimidate some dressage judges?

Dr. Whew
Aug. 22, 2008, 02:19 AM
I heard that there was a streaker - maybe that was meant to intimidate some dressage judges?

too much Schwung

Bats79
Aug. 22, 2008, 06:25 AM
How do you stalk a judge at the Olympics? I didn't think they just "wandered around"?

Melissa.Van Doren
Aug. 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
too much Schwung

:eek: :D :lol: :o

freestyle2music
Aug. 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
Every time he posts something serious, we get silly and make fun of it.

Theo: I appreciate the news from the front lines. Honest.

But back here in the barracks, we can't help but have a giggle about some it.

Hope you understand....

Mardi, I rather see these stories unfoald in the same old manner as always, than I watch television.

I don't want to play Freud but it tells me soooo much about the posters on this board.

Dorienna
Aug. 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
too much Schwung

oh my:eek: :winkgrin:

Mike Matson
Aug. 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
I don't want to play Freud but it tells me soooo much about the posters on this board.

Did anyone notice Theo posts on this board? ;)

half seat
Aug. 22, 2008, 12:12 PM
How would a yellow and red card system work in dressage? And what would be the time frame for the system relative to the actual tests?

freestyle2music
Aug. 23, 2008, 07:23 PM
Did anyone notice Theo posts on this board? ;)

What I did notice Mike is that you have posted a video of Reiner Klimke and Ahlerich claiming that this was a superior ride. Get your records straight and read what Reiner himself told about this ride. BTW.... The whole ride (from various angles) and in HQ-format is on the DVD called Rubinstein and his family Part1 and Part2.

Theo

slc2
Aug. 23, 2008, 07:37 PM
It's not schwung. It's schwing.

AiryFairy
Aug. 23, 2008, 08:34 PM
It's not schwung. It's schwing.

Not if it's past tense......

JSwan
Aug. 23, 2008, 08:47 PM
Did this happen before or after the champagne party?

quote=freestyle2music;3461201]Dutch Olympic judge Gislaine Fouarge complaint about the hugh intimidations from riders, trainers and coaches, during the last Olympics in HongKong, allthough he also mentioned that the riders, trainers and coaches didn't intimidate himself, he whitnessed many stalking and intimidations directed to his collegues. Head of the KNHS George de Jongh suggested that the FEI should start working with yellow and red cards, because he thinks that the judges can't functions under these circumstances.[/quote]

Mozart
Aug. 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
Or they could just disclose the names of people who pull stunts and file protests.

How very sensible.
So, if I may ask, why would the aggrieved judges not simply report those riders, trainers and coaches who attempt to intimidate them? The OP does not suggest that these are mysterious unknown people in trenchcoats who are intimidating judges but rather

a) riders
b) trainers
c) coaches

Surely these are known entities.

So report them. Why would they hold back?

BahamaMama
Aug. 25, 2008, 02:43 PM
How very sensible.
So, if I may ask, why would the aggrieved judges not simply report those riders, trainers and coaches who attempt to intimidate them? The OP does not suggest that these are mysterious unknown people in trenchcoats who are intimidating judges but rather

a) riders
b) trainers
c) coaches

Surely these are known entities.

So report them. Why would they hold back?

You mean report them to this forum :cool:

freestyle2music
Aug. 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
Take my word for it these people were reported, and action will be taken against them. But (as always) behind closed doors.:yes:

slc2
Aug. 25, 2008, 02:49 PM
I think things are a little nastier at the top than glaring at one an other in the washroom. I don't think judging any international sport is for the weak of constitution.

Mozart
Aug. 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
I think things are a little nastier at the top than glaring at one an other in the washroom. I don't think judging any international sport is for the weak of constitution.

No certainly not. One would have to be thick skinned at the very least. Which is why it is surprising to hear judges were "intimidated". One would think that would be counter productive. Sucking up would seem to be a much better plan.

freestyle2music
Aug. 25, 2008, 04:15 PM
No certainly not. One would have to be thick skinned at the very least. Which is why it is surprising to hear judges were "intimidated". One would think that would be counter productive. Sucking up would seem to be a much better plan.

But........................ It was counter productive :cool:;)