View Full Version : Has the showjumping been postponed due to inclement weather?

Aug. 20, 2008, 11:43 PM
I just heard this mentioned on CBC. Apparently its raining just as hard in Hong Kong as it is in Beijing, and this evening's showjumping is in danger of being postponed.

Reason I'm wondering is because I've got my HDD programmed to tape, and am wondering if I need to cancel it (am running out of room!);

and, more importantly, I need to know if it happened or not so I can enforce a self-inflicted media blackout all day tomorrow. I HATE hearing the results before I watch my tape!!! Especially for the showjumping: I really really want to be surprised and wowed :)

Anyone have contacts in Hong Kong who would know?

Aug. 21, 2008, 12:33 AM
You might try checking the blogs referenced in the thread at the top of this forum. Also check the official websites (USOC, FEI, etc.). If you find out anything, be sure to let us know! (I've got to go bring in groceries sitting out in the truck, otherwise I'd check myself!!) :cool:

Aug. 21, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm dying to know too! I was planning on being "sick" tomorrow.....

Aug. 21, 2008, 12:49 AM
It's still on my schedule according to my cable box. If any one hears otherwise it would be nice to know, I was plannig on getting up at 4 am to watch :confused:

Pinto WB
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:56 AM
Just checked the forecast for Hong Kong on Weather.com and The Weather Network, both are showing only 40-ish % chance of showers and scattered thundershowers for Hong Kong on Thursday and Thursday evening- with heavy rain not till Friday.

Aug. 21, 2008, 12:57 AM
This is from the BBC live Olympic feed

0335: "On the Hong Kong weather - there is a typhoon level 1 warning in place now and it is expected to be raised to a level 3 this afternoon. My doorman says it's a big one, could be a T10 by the morning. I would say not much chance of any equestrian in the evening."
trigger_in_hk on 606


Not looking good according to the weather.
Squally rain -gale force wind. Agh I was so looking forward to it.

Aug. 21, 2008, 01:45 AM
Here's what I found about the typhoon. Looks like it could be close to Hong Kong and is expected to intensify.


Aug. 21, 2008, 02:15 AM
This is what the live feed says:

0531: "On the equestrian front here in Hong Kong - the typhoon is coming but the fallback situation is to use the indoor arena (yes, they built one just in case). But there is no room for spectators - pity, it is like BMX on horses."
SaikungDavid on 606

Aug. 21, 2008, 02:47 AM
Here's the latest on the USEF blog by Brian. Looks like the weather will deteriorate as the day goes on.


Aug. 21, 2008, 04:00 AM
Recent post from BBC.

0629: I've just read some more reassurances from equestrian organisers in Hong Kong, insisting that tonight's individual jumping final will go ahead despite the threat of a typhoon off the coast. I bet they haven't run that past the horses. "Sorry, jump what? In that?"

His Greyness
Aug. 21, 2008, 05:45 AM
Recent report from local Hong Kong paper "The Standard" (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking_news_detail.asp?id=3866&icid=3&d_str=20080808) says the final competition will go ahead as planned since Typhoon Nuri isn't expected to hit Hong Kong until tomorrow.

However the temperature in Hong Kong today is very hot - 90 degrees Fahrenheit at 4:00 p.m. Hong Kong time.

Aug. 21, 2008, 06:08 AM
Whilst doing chores the radio announced Denis Lynch and Lantinus had withdrawn. It also said four other riders had withdrawn, but not sure who they are. I haven't as yet been able to confirm this but supposedly a press conference is taking place at 11:00am Irish time which would be 6pm Hong Kong time I believe.


Aug. 21, 2008, 06:39 AM
From BBC:

1025: Bombshell news from the show jumping... A number of horses have tested positive for banned substances - don't know which ones or what substance. Four have been disqualified from tonight's finale - and they will also be dq'd from the team event a few days ago. GB finished 7th in the team event - so we don't think it would affect them - but we believe it could affect the medals. Think something should develop in next 10 mins with a press conference at 1100 BST

Aug. 21, 2008, 06:47 AM
Unconfirmed, from another site, the following are disqualified for the Show Jumping Finals:

Tony Hansen (NOR)

Will Simpson (USA)

Denis Lynch (IRL)

Bernardo Alves (BRA)

Christian Ahlmann (D)

Aug. 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
From BBC:

"1050: Serious faces now. It has been confirmed that four horses - representing Brazil, Germany, Ireland and Norway - have been suspended for testing positive for a prohibited substance."

Aug. 21, 2008, 08:04 AM
Unconfirmed, from another site, the following are disqualified for the Show Jumping Finals:

Tony Hansen (NOR)

Will Simpson (USA)

Denis Lynch (IRL)

Bernardo Alves (BRA)

Christian Ahlmann (D)

I think you are mistaken -- NOT Will Simpson. The others are correct.

Aug. 21, 2008, 08:06 AM

It was before the official announcement.

Aug. 21, 2008, 08:08 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT DENIS!!!!! I am crushed!!! :(

Aug. 21, 2008, 08:10 AM
Will may have made that list because he is the only US rider not contesting the finals...but not for doping!