PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Freestyle, anyone watching?

Pages : [1] 2

spotted mustang
Aug. 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
According to my time-difference calculations, the freestyle should kick off in 2 hours (3.15 am Alaska time). I'm camped out on my office floor (where I have internet) with my doggie by my side and a heap of junk food. Will y'all be watching, too?

Not to wish anything nasty on Anky or Isabell, but I root for the underdog - whoever that may be. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a real surprise and someone else won, and not just because of some judging booboo but on undisputed ability? Oh well, one can hope...

Equa
Aug. 19, 2008, 05:26 AM
Hmmm, well, I have it calculated as kicking off at 9.15pm Hong Kong Time, which is 11.15pm in Sydney...4 hours away....

DownYonder
Aug. 19, 2008, 05:35 AM
Start time is 19:15 Hong Kong time, so about 1-1/2 hours from now. Order of go and times are here.

http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/shows/2008/08og/pre_gpforder.html

nero
Aug. 19, 2008, 05:58 AM
Its starts 7.15pm HK time, 9.15pm Aust Eastern Time

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:13 AM
It's starting at 7:15am EST. Just a few minutes more!

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
It's started now! I* can't wait for Balagur!!

*with eyes held open with toothpicks...

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:30 AM
It's on now, wherever you are. ;)

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
Pink Floyd is EXACTLY what we need to wake up!

Altamont Sport Horses
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
where are you watching it?

Roan
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
OMG, Andreas!

"Another Brick in the Wall" just may not go over well in China -- gulp!

Led Zep, too, man that guy is brave.

Forte
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
I loved Andreas' music! It's a shame that Cara Whitham keeps calling him Jan!

bird4416
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
Guns N Roses, Green Day, Led Zepplin, Steve Miller, Pink Floyd and some I can't remember. A little too busy music wise for me all though very nicely ridden.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:38 AM

On the Net, from my bed on top of a mountain.

The TV feed from the Canadians yesterday was easily a minute ahead of me. Wierd reading about rails down and then waiting to see it.

shea'smom
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
Blah! Dang live feed, I can't get it!!!
Andreas's sounds like fun!!
Please keep up a commentary for those of us in the dark.
Thank goodness for the Oxygen programs in the evening. They are doing a good job.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:45 AM
Canada's Ashley Holzer riding Pop Art

70.950%

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:46 AM
They didn't think too poorly of Andreas's music as he got a decent score.

What happened with the entry of the canadian? The music started, she went to enter and the gait was closed. Ooops. Btw, nice program, but had to laugh went he pooped out on a piafe and she had to rely on the old spur up the butt.

Tucked_Away
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
They started the music for Pop Art before the bell had rung.

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
Wow, finally got my computer to work this morning. Sorry I missed Andreas' performance - love the music choices!

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:54 AM
Sweden's Jan Brink riding Briar
73.45%

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:54 AM
How nice to see a male rider kiss his horse for a change :-)

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:58 AM
"One Night In Baghdad" in organ music? My poor bleeding ears.

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:00 AM
Do the acustics sound funny, is it just my half awake ears, or too much wine last night? The percussion sounds like it's reverberating at times.

Tucked_Away
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:00 AM
How nice to see a male rider kiss his horse for a change :-)

Someone didn't watch the eventing...*g*

Are the pirouettes supposed to be three-beat like the canter? I'm seeing what looks like a lot of four-beat pirouettes. Not knocking; just curious.

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:02 AM
"One Night In Baghdad" in organ music? My poor bleeding ears.

That's "One Night in Bangkok"!! But I agree, not the best choice....

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:04 AM
I always like Briar.

Tinne's music was a bit boring with the screeching guitar and some of it sounded like the graduation march. Nice rider/horse pair.

ShotenStar
I haven't seen an HK weather report ... is it cooler there tonight? The horses seem less stressed / sweaty.

*star*

spotted mustang
Do the acustics sound funny, is it just my half awake ears, or too much wine last night? The percussion sounds like it's reverberating at times.

so is the picture. I swear I saw Jan's face fall off and land in his lap.:o

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:05 AM

It's tinny here. But Eurobeat synthisizer lends itself to that!

Sweden's Tinne Silfven on Solos Carex
71.450%

Elegante E
Are the pirouettes supposed to be three-beat like the canter? I'm seeing what looks like a lot of four-beat pirouettes. Not knocking; just curious.

They're supposed to stay in the same beat but many horses will hop a bit if they loose balance or aren't strong enough with one leg.

spotted mustang
anyone know how long this break will be?

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:06 AM
4 beat pirouette canter. for better score, it is more three beat. but these horses are tired and i'm starting to wonder if that footing isn't a little hard. they look like it is.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
That's "One Night in Bangkok"!! But I agree, not the best choice....

I was thinking it was a "bomb." <g>

monstrpony
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:07 AM

Theoretically, yes, they are supposed to be three-beat. But think of the physical mechanics of doing a pirouette, and see if you can figure out how it can possibly be three-beat. If they make the figure and stay in place and keep the feet moving vertically and stay close to their rhythm, they're doing damn good in my book. Personally, I think it's physically impossible to be sitting that much, have the forehand so elevated, and still have those two diagonal legs on the ground at the same time. Never mind that doing so would mean rotating the whole body around on the other hind leg--can you say "trashed hocks"?

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:08 AM
spotted mustang Did you happen to have too much wine last night too?:winkgrin: Where are you at in AK?

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
I thought I heard Brian O'Connor say the break was 15 min.

spotted mustang
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:13 AM
Nome - in the fog, on the tundra, with the slowest internet on earth (hence the hiccups in the live feed and the falling-down body parts)

and nope - no wine, but too much sugar and a bit of Dr Pepper

bird4416
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
so is the picture. I swear I saw Jan's face fall off and land in his lap.:o

What choo smokin', dood??

eurodressage
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:15 AM
Was anyone else just getting angry listening to Vilhelmson's h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e music??? One can't even call this music.. My god..

And to be honest, I didn't like Ashley's either. Hardly any of the music was in rhythm with the footfall of the hooves... But she and Pop Art showed some FANTASTic piaffe, I thought.

freestyle2music
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:15 AM
The best music so far is the music played during the pause. Next best is the music of Andreas Helgstrand.

Worst music (until now) Tinne Silfven

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:16 AM
NOME? Do you have horses there?

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:17 AM
Ashley's scores corrected upwards!:)

spotted mustang
What choo smokin', dood??

seriously - cross ma heart. Parts of the picture will freeze while the rest of the pic moves on. Hence Jan's handsome face was suddenly in his lap. Too funny the effect, tho a bit startling...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Rubbing eyes...

'nother west coaster checking in at 5am, I am a little late.:sleepy:

spotted mustang
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
fantastic - yep, four. All icelandics, none of them mine (yet) *sniff*

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
It could be worse, lol - I managed to woke up in time but couldn't get my computer to work for 30 mins. - grrr!

Minaret
Hence Jan's handsome face was suddenly in his lap.

Like "Matrix"? It did that during the jump off yesterday. Not funny at all.

Fantastic
Angery? No. Other peoples icky freestyle music doesn't make me angry, nor does little else. It neither of the riders music that you mention were to my liking. I think the way the music appears not to match the horses gaits is because of the not so good accustics and reverberating percussion.

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:22 AM
These early starts for equestrian, and late finishes on NBC for everything else, are wreaking havoc with my sleeping, plus I am too tired to concentrate properly when I ride, lol. Oh well, it is worth it to see all the rides in real time.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
She need a mirrored ball on the jumbotron for Saturday Night Fever...

yaya
I think the reverb is due to the multiple microphones recording the sound. Some are farther away from the speakers than others.

The reverb is worst when they are showing the people in the warmup area. We hear the sound from the mics in the ring and then the delay from the mics in the warmup.

Reynard Ridge

South Carolina, near the beach. :winkgrin:

The NBC live stream, which, is I assume, what you really want to know. :yes:

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
Theo Did you do Emma's music, or any other Olympians?

slc2
Whooo! this really holds together, the music much better (emma hindle)

Reynard Ridge
Have I completely lost my mind or am I hearing Staying Alive and the theme from Flashdance?? I am also showing my age since I *think* I recognize them. :D

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:26 AM
Reynard I know these songs too, and I personally like them!

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:26 AM
I'm showing my age, but I like this music*.

*and she could wear a torn sweatshirt to the "What A Feelin'"

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:28 AM
I would bet you Theo did not do emma's music.

oh she thought she'd get a 72! 74+! yah emma hindle!

one of emma's entourage said of the stuffed toy lion she was handed with standing up thick red hair, HAHA HA HA HAH , ah....'he looks like sjeff jensen', OH HA HA HA HA HAHAHA

COURTNEY! COURTNEY! COURTNEY! here she comes!!!!!! whoo hoo!

Oh! beautiful! but how will the judges think of this music with a less clear rhythm? it's almost impressionistic.

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
Nice score for our girl, Emma!!! Good for her :-)

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
Alright Emma! Thought that would put her in first!

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:30 AM
Have I completely lost my mind or am I hearing Staying Alive and the theme from Flashdance?? I am also showing my age since I *think* I recognize them. :D

Yeah, I guess the 70/80's are alive and well in England. Ick.

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:31 AM
Here's our girl, Courtney! Go Courtney, go!

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:31 AM
Courtney's up!

pntryder1
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:34 AM
wow, cara is being really hard on courtney on cbc...

p.s. my stupid satellite didn't record Saturday while I was gone...anyone know where i can see it?

PaulaM
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:35 AM
I am disappointed in Courtney's so far, the music doesn't seem to fit very well, just like background noise.

railmom
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:37 AM
Lovely pair, I am not fond of her music. Very forgettable.

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:39 AM
I think it is very risky, almost impressionistic.

By the way, one doesn't get points deducted for the genre of music, only how it fits the horse. there is no box on the score sheet, for, 'Deduction for Disco music'. I thought she scored very well.

No. It did not score well (courtney). Not over 70 for the first score. 69 something. she won't hold onto fifth.

here comes nadine!

spotted mustang
I did like her finishing music though

Forte
Courtenay needs a new freestyle before WEG. Maybe she was trying to emulate Anky and Imke with the piano music, but it just didn't work. I liked "one night in Bangkok" for Tinne, but the arrangement of the music was AWFUL!

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:40 AM
Have to say, did anyone else notice how soft she is on the curb bit? Not once did I see it horizontal the way most others have it constantly.

So, what was Cara saying? There was a bobble in the halfpass. She should looked happier at the end of her test like the europeans do even when things didn't go well.

Forte
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:42 AM
Why does the Canadian commentator keep saying that Courtney trained Mythilus from the beginning? Was he not already a GP horse when she got him? Not that she's not an amazing rider, it's just not accurate info. I believe Idocus also had much training from Lendon Gray before she got him, did he not?

slc2
oh god those unsyncopated drums are awful in the passage

the rest is better (nadine) canter music not so good....music during the twos is off.

oh kyras is going to be very light and fun.

Reynard Ridge
I am such a sap. I love Nadine's entrance. :sadsmile:

Fantastic
Lots of 70s and 80s music!

ridgeback
It looks like the team would have benefited by picking the team earlier and shown a bit in Europe before going to China..JMO

PaulaM
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
wow, what a lovely mare this Nadine is and the way the music matches wonderfully. They should get a great artistic score.

pntryder1
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
Cara was saying Courtney's music did not enhance her ride and was saying how she would be losing artistic marks all over the place because the transition music didn't enhance the way of going...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
Cute music for Nadine.

Cold Spring Farm
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:46 AM
Funny you should mention how the Europeans look happy at the end of the ride, no matter what!

I've thought that many times, watching the US riders as they finish up. Unless it's absolutely abysmal ....."SELL THE RIDE!"

A small bit of theatrics/enthusiasm at the end certainly helps and makes a much better impression that these riders who look almost defeated at the end of their ride.

Still think Courtney is the most elegant rider out there......the few bobbles really cost her....but what a star she is!

3Dogs
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:47 AM
I am loving Nadine.....

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:47 AM
Maybe I don't understand the scoring but compare ashley's scores to Courtney's shouldn't Ashley be in front of courtney?

Oh get it courtney did better in the special so when combined she beat ashley...

PaulaM
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
No, Courtney's average is .07 of a percent ahead of Ashley.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:50 AM
wow, with some of the scores being given, I am just waiting for 89.9% for Anky. :rolleyes:

akrogirl
Aghh - Emma pushed back a place, but Nadine's score was deserved.

Elegante E
Liked Nadine but didn't think the ride deserved that high of a score. Did you see how parked out the mare was at the halt and then there were some bobbles. Ok, and when I don't like the music, it makes it hard to appreciate the ride. Not that it was a bad ride, just didn't think it was better than some that went before - piafes had no sit.

railmom
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:51 AM
I like that Nadine, cute playful music!

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:51 AM
Watching this, I wonder if they should play familiar music during the regular tests to help relax the horses. They all seem much better today and I suspect the music helps. I know it does for my horses at home.

added: how long has Kyra been using this music, a decade????

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:53 AM
Cute music for KK and her horse!

Fantastic
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:53 AM
odd entrance music for Kyra.

Tucked_Away
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
...was that the song from Caberet?

Heeeey, one-handed pirouette.

yaya
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
They did have music playing during the regular tests. Don't know how familiar it was to the horses, though.

I do know I for one am sick of Pachelbel's Canon! (HOW many times did that play???)

Forte
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
Why does kyra keep looking down at the horse's left shoulder. Is there a tack problem or something?

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
Love the music and the transitions, but why does she keep looking down? It's like she is checking for her diagonal?

It is so much more difficult for me to evaluate the rides when they are choreographed....

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
Funny you should mention how the Europeans look happy at the end of the ride, no matter what!

I've thought that many times, watching the US riders as they finish up. Unless it's absolutely abysmal ....."SELL THE RIDE!"

A small bit of theatrics/enthusiasm at the end certainly helps and makes a much better impression that these riders who look almost defeated at the end of their ride.

Still think Courtney is the most elegant rider out there......the few bobbles really cost her....but what a star she is!

I've brought this up twice, I think, in the discussions of the live feed for dressage and was actually shot down for complaining that some riders just don't seem happy.

I think you're quite right; more and more this is becoming a positive (or negative) part of the ride. That moment just as the rider completes the halt can be pivotal, akin to the look on the face of a figure skater or gymnast upon completing a routine. Marks for general impression are being tabulated moments later. Why would the rider's impression o the ride NOT have some bearing?

Look at how Ashley Holzer entered the ring. Her face said "Hey, I'm psyched to be here! I can't wait for this test!" Compare to, say, DM, who looked like she wanted to puke or run to use the bathroom.

Some may think it's a small thing or shouldn't count or be considered, but I say, hey, in this case, use everything you can! Anky does.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
Maybe she is worried about why he seems so much more stiff than their other rides?

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
Kyra's music sounds like something that you would hear in a 1930's brothel........... none the less I did like her test..... minus the looking down at the left shoulder.

Fergs
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
Why does kyra keep looking down at the horse's left shoulder. Is there a tack problem or something?

I'm ignorant so hope someone can explain...why did she take the inside hand off the reins and place it down behind her thigh during the pirouettes?

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:02 AM
Bernadette PUJALS is sitting back so far with her upper body! Looks like she could slide right off!! haha

slc2
The final halt is much more important to spectators than judges. :lol: You guys are making it out to be far, far more of a big deal than it really is.

The smile at the end is for spectators, not judges.

Many people the way they focus and get in the zone, they just aren't going to be smiling and mugging for the camera at the end, they're going to be coming out of it and thinking more. That's just how it is. I think a forced, artificial smile just because people want it, looks grotesque.

That's the really gross thing about dressage turning into such a spectator sport. The public wants every person to act and behave exactly the same, no individuality. Sad.

pntryder1
At first I thought this music was interesting, now it screams cheesy dance club...

Elegante E
Kyra's music sounds like something that you would hear in a 1930's brothel........... none the less I did like her test..... minus the looking down at the left shoulder.

Uh, duh, cause that's where caberat is set - the musical her music is from.

added: joking, don't be offended.

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:04 AM
um ok I didn't know that! thanks for the info!

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:05 AM
how about bernadette pujals? she is riding a tired horse, but the music is great

You guys really have to stop dissing rides because you don't like the type of music, that isn't the point at all. A rider can ride a freestyle to ANY type of music.

yaya
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm ignorant so hope someone can explain...why did she take the inside hand off the reins and place it down behind her thigh during the pirouettes?

It's showmanship. "Look, I can do the pirouettes one-handed!"

Shows that she's not pulling him around with the inside rein.

AKDragooPhoto
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:06 AM
Caberet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabaret_%28musical%29

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:06 AM
I do like Bernadette's Mexican style of music except when it goes into crazy dance club music. Just a little to much for me!

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
Caberet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabaret_%28musical%29

I know what Cabaret is I just didn't realize the song that was playing was from it. That's all!

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
:uhoh:

AKDragooPhoto
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
Just trying to be helpful. Some people might not. Sorry you were insulted.

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
I like Pujal's music as well. Thought there were some really nice moments. They were off to the music for the walk transition which was odd as the music was fast and they were suddenly slow. Suspect they lost points on that. Her stallion is lovely! Some of the riders could use wax lips to fake a smile as they concentrate. Just a thought.

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:11 AM
Just trying to be helpful. Some people might not. Sorry you were insulted.

Don't be silly! I was not insulted. Sorry that it came off that way. Again thanks for the info.

Fergs
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's showmanship. "Look, I can do the pirouettes one-handed!"

Shows that she's not pulling him around with the inside rein.

Cool! Thanks for the explanation. I thought maybe it's something that's helpful for her horse. I've been doing this with my greenie in up-canter transitions, and it's a great exercise for horse and rider.

Pony+ an inch
Not that I am a knowledgable dressage person by any stretch of the imagination, but I loved Bernadette Pujal's freestyle. I thought the music was quite flavorful, and the choreography was captivating. I think it just needs some fine-tuning overall, and I'm thinking Vincent might be feeling a tad tired. Nevertheless what a good extra large pony.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Interesting tests. I love this part the most.

spotted mustang
bernadette's scor seems too low for me...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
I am so very well spoken this time of the morning. :sleepy: :rolleyes:

Some of these horses are showing their fatigue, IMO, but they are doing a VERY lovely job!

spotted mustang
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:14 AM
how is the final score tallied? Are GP special and kur averaged? Added?

slc2
"bernadette sits too far back"

I think after all this time, she knows better than you how to ride him.

--LL Cool J likes to hang out at Barnes and Noble and drink Frappucino's.

Bugs-n-Frodo
SM, I think Vincent looked tired and some of her timing was off a little... maybe. He's a lovely horse, she is a great rider, nice pair.

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
bernadette's scor seems too low for me...

She had some bobbles that were quite apparent. Plus, she's not dutch/german so the bobbles count more. LOL. Just joking.

Have to say Pujals' tempis are one of the few where the rider's leg isn't reaching back to the croup. I know she has short legs so it would be basically physically impossible, but watching her, she has a classic seat for that movement. Very nice to see.

freestyle2music
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
how about bernadette pujals? she is riding a tired horse, but the music is great

You guys really have to stop dissing rides because you don't like the type of music, that isn't the point at all. A rider can ride a freestyle to ANY type of music.

Bernadette had a very nice performance, but she should learn to make the choreography a little bit easier, because she overruns herself every time.

eurodressage
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
Did anyone recognize any of the songs in Hans Peter's music. I recognized his piaffe music but don't know the title.

Janet
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
Theoretically, yes, they are supposed to be three-beat. But think of the physical mechanics of doing a pirouette, and see if you can figure out how it can possibly be three-beat. If they make the figure and stay in place and keep the feet moving vertically and stay close to their rhythm, they're doing damn good in my book. Personally, I think it's physically impossible to be sitting that much, have the forehand so elevated, and still have those two diagonal legs on the ground at the same time. Never mind that doing so would mean rotating the whole body around on the other hind leg--can you say "trashed hocks"?
I THINK that one of the academic "gait analysis" teams looked at it recently, and determined that it is basically impossible to do a true pirrouette (on the spot) in 3 beats. ALL the horses are 4 beat if you slow it down enough. Some are more 4 beat than others.

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
"bernadette sits too far back"

I would like to see YOU try riding that horse. :lol:

He is a huge massive thing, you have to sit back on him sometimes. She is a miniscule little tiny person, that's what she has to do.

--LL Cool J likes to hang out at Barnes and Noble and drink Frappucino's.

O man people are really not understanding me this morning. I am in no way a great dressage expert or professional. I just thought that before she entered into the ring she looked really loose in her upper body. More so than some of the other competitors.

You sound like you have a lot of dressage experience. Could you tell me why she needs to sit farther back and be more loose than some of the other riders?

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:19 AM
The final halt is much more important to spectators than judges. :lol: You guys are making it out to be far, far more of a big deal than it really is.

The smile at the end is for spectators, not judges.

Many people the way they focus and get in the zone, they just aren't going to be smiling and mugging for the camera at the end, they're going to be coming out of it and thinking more. That's just how it is. I think a forced, artificial smile just because people want it, looks grotesque.

That's the really gross thing about dressage turning into such a spectator sport. The public wants every person to act and behave exactly the same, no individuality. Sad.

And the spectators cheer, and the judges hear it.... Let's face it, in Athens, Anky had the crowd eating out of her hands. Perhaps a tiny bit more pressure to give higher marks for overall impression?

Slc2, I think you and I have to just agree to disagree on this one...

It's not just the final halt, though I think Anky has perfected that. It's about going into that ring and exuding confidence, not incontinence.

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:20 AM
I know Theo, but it is still a nice ride and it still scored quite well. I guess you didn't do HER freestyle either, LOL, since you are criticizing it so freely ;)

That is only if you look at the pirouettes at a very slow speed in replay. With the eye, it should look as close to 3 beat as possible, it's just that simple. As close to three beat as possible.

A series of mini-rears, with the hind feet making 2 beats, and the front feet making 2 beats after, isn't the best score pirouette. It is not terrible but it is not the best score.

It should look more like the horse is cantering while someone is holding on to his tail. But every horse is more talented at one thing or another and the pirouette is the hardest thing in the test. Some horses pirouette better, some piaffe better, some do better extended work. Each one has a stronger and a weaker movement it can do. With the horse less talented for pirouette the rider can make a larger circle and get a better quality canter, and take the lesser 'ding' for the larger pirouette. The purity of gait counts for more than the size of the circle, but in the tightest race, the size of the circle can make a big difference in placing and who wins.

monstrpony
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:25 AM
I THINK that one of the academic "gait analysis" teams looked at it recently, and determined that it is basically impossible to do a true pirrouette (on the spot) in 3 beats. ALL the horses are 4 beat if you slow it down enough. Some are more 4 beat than others.

I know, but there was a thread on here a year or so ago that damned the gait analysis teams as ingoramuses, because *the canter MUST be three-beat!!* I thought it was hogwash at the time because of the physical impossibility, and I know my opinion counts for less that dirt here, but, just sayin', ya know. ;)

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:27 AM
i'm so excited for Anky and Isabell

o yea, don't forget Steffen!:winkgrin:

Elegante E
OMG, Gone With the Wind! What a hoot. Go white horsey.

Minaret
Go PINK PONY!!!!!

AKDragooPhoto
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:29 AM
New York, New York - there was a time this would have been thought of as an invasion from Russia!

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
Need to call theo. Maybe we can start a music fund for pink pony.

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
I would hate to be that horses groom...... YIKES!!

TeddyRocks
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
Go PINK PONY!!!!!

What an array of music! New York New York! and music from West Side Story... Awesome...

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:32 AM
His piaffe just makes me well up... I love this horse.

AKDragooPhoto
He looks like a baby bird before it get its feathers.

spotted mustang
Go PINK PONY!!!!!

pink pony took a crap right in front of the judges' box. :)

Pony+ an inch
I can't stop singing along to Balagur's freestyle... I LOVE broadway! And I also can't help help but notice how relaxed and even happy Balagur looks.

jetsetter
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:33 AM
AWW! I just loved it, in a cute little pony way!

spotted mustang
so...is he shorn? never seen one THAT pink...

Bugs-n-Frodo
I love Balagur's piaffe

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:34 AM
That pony has the loveliest piafes and a to die for canter pirouette! Some loss of rhythm issues throughout the test will lower their marks, but dang, some perfection along the way!!!

TeddyRocks
That was sooooo much fun! Out of the 7 rides I've seen... Such great music that matches the pink pony... GREAT choices, I thought...

railmom
Loved it! He really does look pink doesn't he :)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:35 AM
They are saving all the ridiculously high scores for Anky and Isabell.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
pink pony took a crap right in front of the judges' box. :)

Did they wack him with a newspaper?

Pony+ an inch
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
so...is he shorn? never seen one THAT pink...

I'm now thinking it's the stadium lighting, because when you get him out of the spotlight and look at him on the sidelines, he looks like your typical gray pony.

sniplover
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:38 AM
What music is playing for Satchmo?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Oh man, she'll only get an 86 % for this! Bad Satchmo.

jetsetter
OMG!!! Did you guys see that!!!!:eek:

Minaret
It's just terribly bad, pink pigment showing through. You see it in Arabs and is shunned in main ring halter. Look at the mottling around his eyes.

Doesn't seem to hurt his piaffe any, huh?

Elegante E
Oh and again a big issue with Piafe for Isabel!

sniplover
oh no! He totally lost his cool :(

AKDragooPhoto
And again!

slc2
OH SHIT AGAIN!:lol:

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:41 AM
Your feed is so far ahead of me!

How will they mark her *this* time?

Dorienna
So remember folks, don't do a reinback in a freestyle:-) according to Cara, no music goes backwards...

back to Satchmo

TeddyRocks
Fabulous half passes and changes... and again... She is so cool under pressure...

gjump
OMG!!!!!!!!! I can't believe what I'm watching... never thought I'd see the day!!!!

HOLY CRAP is an understatement!!!!!!!

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
Satchmo is going to be in America teaching some old lady to do dressage in about 6 weeks, :lol:

This is like what happened to Balkenhol's horse. Three strikes and you're out. Doesn't matter why.

But now you can see, once a mistake happens once, it is very likely to happen again.

And I don't think the horse got his tongue between the bits, or anything like that. It has to do with that spot in the ring.

I think it will be scored like yesterday, except Mr Rockwell will have gotten religion.

Bonapart moves alot like Rembrandt, that light.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
Satchmo has nearly perfect half passes!

Hmmm, obedient?

jetsetter
Satchmo is going to be in America teaching some old lady to do dressage in about 6 weeks, :lol:

HAHA!

freestyle2music

You might be right !

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:44 AM

oooh, can I be the old lady? Please please please????

Minaret

Or her dog's dinner.

Dorienna
what?? 78%???

TeddyRocks
extensions and what a treat at the end... Passage half passes... The greatness outweighs the blip... I know a major blip, but WOW... Even if she gets a zero for that move... Just wow...

78.1!!!

huntjump29

And I know the lady with the pockets to buy him.

Bugs-n-Frodo
ridiculous. :no::no::no:

spotted mustang
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:45 AM

she better be one hell of a rider, or she won't get much older :D

sniplover
78.1????

jetsetter
you have got to be kidding me! How is that possible?? Could someone explain?

Pony+ an inch
Some dressage person please explain that score... was everything else just incredibly perfect?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, she is Isabell.

ridgeback
now we know Anky will win..but the German's will have an excuse.

gjump
78%!!!!!!

Even with that episode???

Bugs-n-Frodo
Wait until Anky performs, she will get a high score no matter what. That's the way it IS!

sniplover
Even if there is some skewing of judging, I hate to see any horse and rider combo fail to perform when there's so much on the line. True of any sport really - you work so hard to get to the Olympics..

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:47 AM
I still think that score was pretty high. Others had passage halfpass and her's weren't as good as one of the others shown. She does have some amazing moves but still. Oh well, guess the music was so great, they just had to boost her score.

HandsomeBayFarm
I am loosing faith in the scoring process.....Satchmo couldnt get his hind feet off the ground and was there really that much difficluty in that test???????? O my.

Goodness, my co-worker who doesnt know which end of the horse to feed said that her test was blah!

Roan
We've gone through this before --

The moves are scored individually and even if she totally screws one up, she can make up for brilliance on the rest.

You have to look at the scores for each movement to understand how it works.

Eileen

Tucked_Away
Okay, this I can dig.

AKDragooPhoto
And now Califonia is being represented by Germany.

Tiki
Anybody know where you can see the scores???

TeddyRocks
Love her music already...

Minaret
I'm really really trying to wrap my brain around dressage scoring and I've come to the conclusion that one must first drink the koolaid for it to make sense.

Here, Bonaparte and Good Vibrations will make it all better. If not fair.

akrogirl
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
I still think that score was pretty high. Others had passage halfpass and her's weren't as good as one of the others shown. She does have some amazing moves but still. Oh well, guess the music was so great, they just had to boost her score.

Ah yes, but did the horse spook in time with the music? ;-)

TeddyRocks
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
And now Califonia is being represented by Germany.

Is Heike a Beach girl from way back?

Or a 70's love child?

I love that some of her music has the singing...

Dorienna
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
even the screw-up was in only one movement, wouldn't you get zapped for submission and harmony as well? or does that rule not count for Isabel and Anky?

Janet
Here
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/EQ/C73DD/EQX001101.shtml#EQX001101

Edited becuse I think they DO have teh technical and artistic separate- I wasn't reading it right.

jetsetter

http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/resultsandschedules/rsc=EQX001100/index.html

is this what you mean?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Oh no, that was PART of the coreography. :lol:

pntryder1
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:50 AM
Well Cara said she didn't think she would be in the medals before the scores were final, so there is someone else who thought the same...

scores are here

akrogirl
even the screw-up was in only one movement, wouldn't you get zapped for submission and harmony as well? or does that rule not count for Isabel and Anky?

It didn't seem to the first time - she still got 6's for submission, I believe.

Elegante E
Like Boneparte's music. Some transition problems from a piafe. Not sure what she was trying to do bt it didn't work. Two footed pirouettes. Haunches swinging a bit in the tempis. Still, like the horse - um, what is the neck thing at the walk for this horse, is he expecting to RK? Tempies and second pirouette was much better.

Roan
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:52 AM
It didn't seem to the first time - she still got 6's for submission, I believe.

Most of them do, because most of them are behind the vertical and that's part of the submission score.

Her IW's music was from the movie Alexander. One of my favorite soundtracks.

Eileen

wannabegifted
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:52 AM
yeah, judges here seem to ignore flaws... anky got a 5 in the first test for her so-called halt... That was not a halt, I don't care what universe you are in.

I'm sorry, I don't think that test (isabella's) deserved a 78 with that major behind the leg freak out, that is not submission.

AKDragooPhoto
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
HOw did we get to this from California Dreaming?

Janet
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'm really really trying to wrap my brain around dressage scoring and I've come to the conclusion that one must first drink the koolaid for it to make sense.

Here, Bonaparte and Good Vibrations will make it all better. If not fair.
If you DO want to understand it, I would start with looking at the actual freestyle score sheets.

I dind't "understand" the freestyle scores either until I was the scorer at a show with a lot of freestyles, and had to add them up.

To start with, the "artistic" score counts as much as the technical score, so any "bobble" cost half what it would in a regular text.

Then there is only one score for each movement. So, for instance, you only get ONE score for "collected trot", covering ALL the collected trot in the whole test.

Roan
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
Here
But they don't show the separate "technical" and "artistic" scores.

They'll post the results for each movement and the collective marks on the official site after it's over.

Eileen

wannabegifted
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
wow. I have lost all confidence in the judging. With two footed pirouetts, breaking into canter and walk from the piaffe... a 75? holy crap. wish I could score that well when my OTTB decides to do a medium canter out of the ring for a lengthen trot... maybe next time I will contest it.

AKDragooPhoto
Pink pony is on the medal bubble! Not overall though, oh well.

Bugs-n-Frodo
GO STEFFEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slc2
We HAVE been all through this. But this is the freestyle, not a test.

The scores are not really for 'each movement' in the freestyle, in the sense of every incident of piaffe, it will count EVEN LESS here, the piaffe was shown many other times, you will see. It will affect the general stuff more this time, the piaffe score less.

And when you see the score, think, she was probably going to get OVER 80% without that blip.

But now it is a problem for the horse's future. Unless they can be sure it is something only caused by this venue. Even if it is not once a mistake is made, it is far, far more likely to happen again. This is what killed Balkenhol with Goldstern. It started happening again and again. Once it was established it would not go away.

That is just how horses are. Once a mistake is made, you always, always live in dread of it.

Steffen is good. Wish he was a little quieter. Making some good choices, though.

He can't catch Heike, though. I don't think so.

Elegante E
I think Kemmer's scores were too high. Sorry to the experts but that was a blah test with lots of problems and very few wow moments. The white pony was better.

Ok, so here comes Steffan with his noisy legs. LOL.

TeddyRocks
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
Here they go!!!!!!!!!!!

AKDragooPhoto
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
Rolling Stones, nice.

pntryder1
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:58 AM
I wonder if the RIAA would get upset with this much direct use of the music on a televised event...great so far

Tucked_Away
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:58 AM
"Safety Dance"? And he's making it _work_? Give the man a gold medal right there.

Tiki
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys for the score references. Now I can see what is happening.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
If you DO want to understand it, I would start with looking at the actual freestyle score sheets.

I dind't "understand" the freestyle scores either until I was the scorer at a show with a lot of freestyles, and had to add them up.(snip good stuff)

Thanks and that does make sense. But I still don't like it! <G>

The artistry is fouled by the disobedience and, to me, it harms the elements more than in a regular test. Therefore, as queen of the world...

However, yes, reward spotty excellence over consistent mediocrity...

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
Nice transition from cante rpiroutette to piafe! Go steffan! New move there!

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
You have to learn how these events are judged before you start trashing the judges.

And no, actually, Balagur is not better. I get so tired of people just going ga-ga over that horse just because he's white. Good lord. Get some eyes.

Minaret
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Pink pony is on the medal bubble! Not overall though, oh well.

He won't medal, but by golly, he's sure put Orlov Trotters on the map!

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wow, that rocked!!!!

Did you see those canter halfpasses!!!!!

sniplover
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:04 AM
Steffen is my hero for the Safety Dance. Can't beat that. 76.5 for Steffen

slc2
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:04 AM
Artistically it was strong. It will not beat Heike. It is third. Told ya so!

Here comes the one everyone hates.

She looks looser than in the special. Watch out people. She is very relaxed this time. So is Salinero. For him. Some quick thinking there, it worked out. Minor stuff. That's all.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
No bronse for us! Damn!

That was good ride though, congrats Steffen.

pntryder1
You have to learn how these events are judged before you start trashing the judges.

And no, actually, Balagur is not better. I get so tired of people just going ga-ga over that horse just because he's white. Good lord. Get some eyes.

Cara didn't think it would be a top 3 finish....

railmom
Stephan was robbed!

TeddyRocks
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, that rocked!!!!

Did you see those canter halfpasses!!!!!

Can we medal with that??? LOVE RAVEL... What a fabulous go!

Bugs-n-Frodo
YUP!

pntryder1
Did I hear that wrong or did that mark get booed?

ridgeback
Steffen should be thrilled to have the youngest and most inexperienced horse and end up 4th...that is awesome:cool: Boy the German judge is tough on the American's..

Tiki
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:07 AM
76.500% in third place. Unless Anky falls off he's going to just barely miss an individual medal with a horse who did his first GP in March of this year. Oh my. Look out London!!!!!

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
Artistically it was strong. It will not beat Heike. It is third. Told ya so!

Here comes the one everyone hates.

She looks looser than in the special. Watch out people.

Just because someone does not like her training methods does not mean they hate her...:mad:

Tiki
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:09 AM
Artistically it was strong. It will not beat Heike. It is third. Told ya so!Wrong again Slick. The third was overall, he was 2nd so far in the Freestyle. It just won't hold for 3rd after Anky.

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
Wrong again Slick. The third was overall, he was 2nd so far in the Freestyle. It just won't hold for 3rd after Anky.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TeddyRocks
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
Isabel or Anky?

sniplover
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:12 AM
I love that she appeared to give him a pat after his one tempi changes - what a good boy

mxkextended
Steffen should be thrilled to have the youngest and most inexperienced horse and end up 4th...that is awesome:cool: Boy the German judge is tough on the American's..

Gee, wonder why they would be interested in keeping their rider in third?

I think Steffan's ride was awesome! Much more technically difficult than Heikes

Bugs-n-Frodo
Well, it was fun. Anky wins I bet. :sigh: I was not impressed with the music.

railmom
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:13 AM
Ha, ha again no final halt!

TeddyRocks
halt? Salute?

AKDragooPhoto
And again no halt. At least she and Isabell are consistent.

Madeline
Isabel or Anky?

Anky because her horse didn't balk and run backwards? Probably not.

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:14 AM
82.4 Anky wins

Combined 78.68

Wonder if Isabell would have won if her horse didn't blow..

Minaret
Does she do no halt as a means of saying "Ha, my score is high enough not to bother?"

A signature, if you will?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Absolutley ridiculous!

sniplover
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
82.4 for Anky

AKDragooPhoto
Back to the hunter ring I go.

sniplover
now that that's over, I can go to work, LOL

nero
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'M SOOO HAPPY. Good girl, good pony, yay.

Tiki
Steffen missed a medal on a horse green to GP by 0.305%. Ravel rocks!!!!!

Roan
Just because someone does not like her training methods does not mean they hate her...:mad:

Agreed.

Her forte is the freestyle and she deserved that mark.

Eileen

Bugs-n-Frodo
It was a good ride, not saying it wasn't but I think they scored over the top there. Come ON! Anky is going to petition to have the halt removed from the test. :lol:

Elegante E
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
Anky had a good test but no pizzaz. Of course, they gave her first. The way they were scoring, they had to. I still think Steffan deserved bronze. his test was better performed, better choreographed and had the expression so many keep saying is more important than correctness (which he had over Kemmer as well).

TeddyRocks
Some please tell her... And someone please translate... What did she say after her ride?

Thanks!

freestyle2music
My Personal Results :

1 : Anky
2 : Steffen
3 : Isabelle

But heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am only the music maker.

ridgeback
Look at that the German judge was fair and even scored higher then the dutch judge.. Maybe they aren't out to get Anky:lol:

freestyle2music
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
Some please tell her... And someone please translate... What did she say after her ride?

Thanks!

She was pissed off that Sjef wasn't there !