PDA

View Full Version : Ian Millar Appreciation Thread

Overo Kid
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well, the only jumping I got to see was on NBC yesterday, sigh. Don't get Oxygen, can't watch on my old computer. I couldn't believe it when they said Millar was 61, this is his ninth Olympics, and though he's won everything else around the world, he's never won an Olympic medal! So here's to Ian, I was rooting for you to get silver (I'm a U.S. citizen after all)--I'm so sad I didn't get to see it! Ah well, it'll be on youtube before too long.:)

Congratulations to the whole Canadian Team, and especially to Ian Millar for his first medal!!!:cool:

ryansgirl
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
He deserved it :yes::):yes:!! Congrats to him for finally getting a medal after all those years :sadsmile:. I just hope when I'm his age, I can still get on and at least go for a decent hack :)!!

Sonesta
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
I have always LOFFED Ian Miller. He's a class act!

Aug. 18, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hooray for Miller! He looked so genuinely happy after the jumpoff, too. No sour grapes, just an acknowledgment of good rounds on all sides, and a genuine enjoyment of the moment. I'm really happy for the Canadian team - they certainly deserved that medal!!

BAC
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:16 PM
I didn't get to watch either but I am thrilled for Ian. I was fortunate to get to see him and Big Ben compete at MSG many times though, glad he finally got his Olympic medal, he deserved one long ago.

imajacres
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:17 PM
happy happy dance for Ian ( and Mac, and Eric and Jill) :-)

egontoast
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
I admire Eric Lamaze for turning his life around and showing how high he can go without drugs.:cool:

FalseImpression
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
And yes congratulations Ian. I always cheered for you and I know who you meant when you said "You had an angel riding with you today". I so wish Lynn could have been with you!

You are a gentleman and a class act. Both Lynn and Big Ben were cheering you on!
Good luck on Thursday to the whole Canadian team and Captain Canada!!

Aug. 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
I always cheered for you and I know who you meant when you said "You had an angel riding with you today". I so wish Lynn could have been with you!

I didn't hear that, but yes... :sadsmile:

VirginiaBred
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sign me up as President of the Admiration Society!!! :yes:

Platinum Equestrian
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:05 PM
He's such a class act. We met him once at the Invitational a couple of years ago, and he was so friendly.

Overo Kid
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks, FalseImpression--I filxed the thread title!

lisagore
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:15 PM
Massive Applause for Ian Miller and all the rest of the Canadian team as well as the whole US team:D It does my heart alot of good to see those two rival teams so close in the final tally and everyone so sportsmanlike about it. Fabulous show guys! :yes::yes::yes:

kashmere
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:18 PM
i've had the pleasure of seeing him ride in person twice now; always brings tears to my eyes. huge congratulations on a well deserved medal. jill and eric both put in amazing rides as well - and mac, before he had to pull up.

huge congrats to team USA as well! of course, as a canuck i was hoping the great white north would get the gold, but the states definitely deserved it with those rides! well done!

justalittlex
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
His joy, amazement and friendliness were so lovely to observe in those last shots of the awards. And let's not forget his astounding riding ability.

sisu27
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:34 PM
Worshipped him as a child, was not disappointed upon meeting him, was lucky enough to ride out of his barn (dad likened it to skating with Wayne Gretzky) and I have NEVER seen him be anything but a true gentleman and the penultimate horseman.

NOBODY deserves this more than Ian.

I'm not an emotional girl (Finnish upbringing does not allow for it) BUT I have been blurry eyed many times today.

Amidst all your joy for your stellar gold medal team thank you to everyone who has acknowledged what a legend he is.

Here's to you Ian, well done:)

Spooks
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
I was whooping and cheering in my living room for Ian and the team! Luckily CBC/Bold covered the entire event so I did not miss a single moment. I am thrilled they got the silver and I think they did a fantastic job under the pressure of losing their 4th rider. I think Eric is a real contender for an individual medal too and wouldn't that be wonderful!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
A nice (brief) article from Reuters: Aug 18, 2008 "Ian Miller rolls back the years with silver " (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/canada_olympics_equestrian_canada_col;_ylt=Ahy.2zx FDPSl5yb4KyAUfL_NaMYA)

Overo Kid
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
Nice--thanks for the link! I had no idea early on they got the silver with just 3! Really impressive, wow!

Jasper'sMom
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hooray for Ian!! :yes::yes::yes:

veebug22
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
I remember admiring Ian Millar on Big Ben from magazines and TV when I was a kid in the Northwest. People like Ian just didn't exist at the shows I went to! I seem to remember he came to Thunderbird a couple times when I was in high school, but I wasn't there when he was. When I was a teenager my parents moved back to Ontario. Imagine how big-eyed I was when, at my first show in Ontario, he walked up to my trainer at the time and said hello while I was standing beside her. They knew each other, and to her it was just Ian, but to me... Wow. I watched out for him at every show thereafter, and how excited was I if he happened to nonchalently say hello in passing or to my trainer when I was with her. He made a big impact on me... I learned a lot from watching him. But not just how he rode. I learned by watching his humble and kind demeanor. He seemed to treat every person on the showgrounds and all his horses with respect. He was so genuine and unassuming, congratulatory of anyone that did well. He truly deserves our respect and appreciation.

jvanrens
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
A nice (brief) article from Reuters: Aug 18, 2008 "Ian Miller rolls back the years with silver " (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/canada_olympics_equestrian_canada_col;_ylt=Ahy.2zx FDPSl5yb4KyAUfL_NaMYA)

I like the one on the CBC site (http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/equestrian/story/2008/08/18/olympics-f-millar-medal.html) even better. :sadsmile:

Go Captian Canada! :D

Overo Kid
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
I like the one on the CBC site (http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/equestrian/story/2008/08/18/olympics-f-millar-medal.html) even better. :sadsmile:

Go Captian Canada! :D

That brought tears to my eyes, thanks for finding that.:)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

Kudos on finding that - I think the smile while riding "In Style" says so much about how he approaches the task at hand. Game face? Overrated nonsense. Horses feed off the rider and clearly he was game if Ian was too.

jvanrens
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
That brought tears to my eyes, thanks for finding that.:)

Not a problem, I've been monitoring the CBC site since the equestrian events started. ;) On the CBC vote for the Moment of the Day, one of the choices was to vote for the Canadian team silver, http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/olympicmoments/ , but unfortunately voting has ended for the day. :( My power was out for most of the evening and I just found out about it. Hopefully other showjumping fans got a vote in

Lori T
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ian used to winter at Grand Cypress in Orlando about 10 years ago. I would go down and watch him ride...wow, he was amazing. I learned so much just watching him! He is an incredible rider. Have the show jumping dvr'ed. Can't wait to watch it.

FalseImpression
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
Not a problem, I've been monitoring the CBC site since the equestrian events started. ;) On the CBC vote for the Moment of the Day, one of the choices was to vote for the Canadian team silver, http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/olympicmoments/ , but unfortunately voting has ended for the day. :( My power was out for most of the evening and I just found out about it. Hopefully other showjumping fans got a vote in

Well I voted by phone and by internet, so one of my votes was for you!!

Kenike
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:42 PM
I am so, so, SO happy for Ian! This is such a well deserved thing, and it took way too long for him to get it. I'm just so happy for him!

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:45 PM
Congrats to a man with some serious staying power!

I have to say, that when I hear the NBC commentators just about peeing themselves over that swimming guy who has done nothing more than win a fistful of medals, I think, "Eh, I doubt he'll still be around in another 28 years.." :yes:

3Dogs
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:49 PM
extraordinary - the man is extraordinary. Watching his round this morning had me breathless. And tearful. Wonderful piece on him - that CBC site - thanks whoever posted.

Agree RR - Michael Phelps will be long gone.....

but Dara Torres :D

mjhco
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:53 PM
YEAH for Captain Canada!

Class act. Wonderful horseman!

NO ONE can match his record!

lonewolf
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:07 PM
When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I remember turning on the tv just in time to watch Ian and Big Ben jump a clear round to help Canada win the Nations Cup at the Royal Winter Fair. From then on, he was my childhood hero. I clipped articles from any newspapers I found which mentioned him, and taped show jumping on CBC, watching the footage over and over. When Big Ben retired I clipped the tiny Reuters clip from the newspaper and made a silly little velvet and foam frame for it to keep on my desk.

As I got older and started riding in competitions myself, I got to see him in person at several shows. I have always been impressed by the way he makes a point of talking to young kids and aspiring riders, because he knows what it means to them. I think he knows that he has a responsibility to represent and to be a good ambassador for a sport which has been good to him, as he has been good to it. He is still an incredibly gifted rider and a consummate horseman.

Today I am a proud Canadian. Thanks to Ian and the whole team for giving us something to cheer for. And I am especially happy for Ian, for whom I was cheering most of all. This medal is well deserved, and a long time coming.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:25 PM
While I am thrilled for the team silver and proud of all the riders, Eric, Jill and Mac, it must be particularly bitter-sweet for Ian, Amy and Jonathan having lost his wife (and their mother), Lynn, earlier this year to cancer. After all these years, she is not there to enjoy the moment with them.

FAW
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ian is a class act. Yes, he is humble and always puts team Canada ahead of his own achievements. Certainly a mentor for all of us in the sport as to how to act.

Glad the US won the gold, but equally glad Canada was next door with the silver. At long last, Ian got his medal.

Hopeful Hunter
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:32 AM
I don't remember for sure, but I think it was in the early 1970s when I first saw Ian Millar ride at the old National Horse Show at Madison Square Garden. My mother had gotten tix to the event, an unusual acknowledgment that her lumpy, unathletic girl from central NJ - where the closest thing to a horse was the pony fur that covered someone's bad 70s sofa - loved the beasts. I remember Ian Millar was there, I guess on Big Ben, but what I rememberd most was that he was a big guy and really seemed to LIKE what he was doing.

Since then, Mr. Millar has remained my very favorite equestrian. He was riding at Harrisburg a few years ago when I got to present the trophies in the Thursday night class (my husband works for M&T Bank, and the guys in Harrisburg remembered his wife was horse crazy and asked if I might want to do the presentation as they were sponsoring -- I got to sit with the course designer, Richard Jeffries, all night and learned SO much!). I mustered up the courage after his ride to approach him "backstage" and tell him that I had long admired him and appreciated the distinction and sportsmanship he brought to our sport and he was SO gracious...HE is the kind of ambassador out sports need!

My husband even knows Ian Millar by name and sight. He's a huge favorite, and unpatriotic though it might be, I really wish he could have taken home team gold!

Lauruffian
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:37 AM
I was stunned and ecstatic to see Ian Miller riding in the preliminary rounds. I saw him and Big Ben win gold at the 1987 Pan Am games...when I was 14, and he was as far as I was concerned, "old." I got his autograph, though, and Rodney Jenkins's too while I was at it.

I really, REALLY wanted to see him medal. My 28-month-old son cheered "Go Ian! Go Ian!" with me as he rode (later it was, "Go Beezie!"). It was a fantastic ride and an incredible performance by BOTH teams. Would have been cool if they'd been allowed to stay tied and all get gold. :)

Go Ian!

BasqueMom
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:27 AM
Ian Miller has long been my favorite hunter/jumper rider. When I started riding in the
late 1980's, I watched him at MSG on Big Ben just wipe up the competition. What a
pair they were! Other riders were yanking and kicking and jerking--his ride was so smooth
and quiet in comparison.

Still have some of his and Big Ben's performances on tape--Beta tapes, but have hung on to the Beta player. Need to get this out and take a look--tis been many years since I watched them.

While I am very pleased the USA took the gold, I would have been just as pleased if
Canada (and Ian) had won it. Didn't get to see his round as the live stream decided
to "buffer" during his round...but his smile during the awards ceremony was just as
gratifying.

Sebastian
Aug. 19, 2008, 02:03 AM
Ian is fabulous. LOVE watching him ride -- and always will.

Seb :)

p.s. But, really was there a need to dis Michael Phelps in the process of showering Ian with his very deserved praise? Phelps' accomplishments are real too... :yes:

poltroon
Aug. 19, 2008, 02:11 AM
I am so happy for Ian and Canada. His Olympics have always been unlucky... 9th time is the charm! :D

Many years ago, I lucked into his book, Riding High (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=58), at a used bookstore - I treasured it then and now. I highly recommend it. It was published 18 years ago, in 1990, when his kids were still small.

hijumpin1
Aug. 19, 2008, 06:37 AM
Congrats to Ian and team Canada!

JRG
Aug. 19, 2008, 06:41 AM
"Captain Canada", what a great icon for showjumping. I loved watching him as a kid growing up. I am so happy for the Canadian team this year. Afterall I am Canadian and I do root for the home team as well as my adopted team.

kerlin
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:46 AM
Like everyone else, I am absolutely delighted for Ian Millar. :D

A friend linked to this article this morning:

When the smartly-dressed Ian Millar enters the Hong Kong stadium to take his Olympic rides, Lynn will be with him. He will carry a photo of her tucked inside his Canadian team uniform. (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=7e1f1c40-5422-4725-931a-82821ec742df&p=1)

Written before winning the medal, but really a very good article overall. :)

HardHeadedHanna
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
Is In Style a Dutch Warmblood?

Thank you

sisu27
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:09 AM
Is In Style a Dutch Warmblood?

Thank you

Yes

MTshowjumper
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:19 AM
Go Ian! He is a really nice guy. I met him while showing at Spruce Meadows. He was in my class and we kept crossing paths. Every day when he saw me he would say hi and ask how my round went and he complimented me on my horse. I had no idea who he was, I just thought he was a really friendly guy who looked vaugly familiar. At the end of the show I was walking out to the parking lot with my trainer when he waved at me and said hello. My trainer couldn't believe I had made friends with Ian Millar whithout having a clue as to who it was.

Overo Kid
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
Like everyone else, I am absolutely delighted for Ian Millar. :D

A friend linked to this article this morning:

When the smartly-dressed Ian Millar enters the Hong Kong stadium to take his Olympic rides, Lynn will be with him. He will carry a photo of her tucked inside his Canadian team uniform. (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=7e1f1c40-5422-4725-931a-82821ec742df&p=1)

Written before winning the medal, but really a very good article overall. :)

Great article--he just seems like such a positive, good man! I had no idea we'd get so many good articles and personal stories on this thread, keep 'em coming!

CatOnLap
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
The entire Canadian Team deserves a big hug from all of us at home. They put in absolutely amazing displays of skill, persistence and hope. Imagine going on to win silver after one of your horses has to retire due to injury! The rest of them must have seen their dreams evaporate when Mac's horse had to retire! But they didn't let that detract them. Awesome heart for the whole team.

akor
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
Ian rocks. I could say pages of other things, but that's the quickest way I knew to say it! Congratulations to him!

draftdriver
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:34 AM
Congratulations to Ian, who's technical finesse is just about the best around. Also to Jill (my around-the-corner neighbour) and the rest of the team, and all the horses!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
Not being Canadian I guess I didn't know that Ian had lost his wife this year.

Hence he's dedicated his silver medal to her :(

Canada's National Post Aug 19, 2008 "Millar dedicates medal to his deceased wife" (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=732608)

At 61, and after nine Olympics, show jumper Ian Millar won Canada a medal -- a silver -- and then said it was all for his wife, Lynn, who coached him for 35 years and died of cancer this year.

"This one's for Lynn," he would later tell his friend and publicist Jayne Huddleston.

"He was very emotional about it, the emotion of not having her there, coupled with the emotion that it has taken so long to get to that podium," Ms. Huddleston said.

In fact, it was a shared passion for horses that first introduced Mr. Millar to Lynn Doran, the woman who would go on to become his wife of 39 years, before she died of cancer in March.

Although she worked as a nurse, she had a passion for show jumping, from riding to teaching, training, buying and selling. She rode several kilo-metres from the farm where Mr. Millar worked.

He'll be 65 for the next Olympics - but he's already looking forward to it!

Mr. Millar already has a horse picked out for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London: Redefin, a 10-year old Holsteiner gelding, will be 14 for the Games.

Roan
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've also been following Ian since I was a kid.

I bet Big Ben is watching and smiling, too.

Eileen

Mozart
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:57 AM
I have never heard of him being anything other than a class act. He has done so much for the sport, practically every Canadian knows about him. All of my non - horsey friends and colleagues have been talkng about him and his medal.

And I completely agree with CatonLap. The entire team deserves accolades, they all overcame a lot to end up on that podium.

Overo Kid
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
I agree completely, I wanted a thread for Ian because of his great career, but what the whole team did is amazing! Imagine winning silver with 3 riders--knowing there's no margin for error! Go Team Canada!

gottagrey
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:37 AM
His joy, amazement and friendliness were so lovely to observe in those last shots of the awards. And let's not forget his astounding riding ability.

I didn't see any photos of Canada receiving their medals, only US - but watching Ian Millar finish up his course - what you said - his joy, amazement- brought tears to my eyes. I am absolutely thrilled for him and for Team Canada, probably more so than for the Americans (I'm an American) Not to take anything away from the USA but what a great story for Canada. It was a terrific class to watch.

SuperSTB
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
It was the first thing I thought- Ian has to medal for Lynn and Big Ben.

I think somewhere I still have some vcr tapes from the late 70's and 80's of show jumping. I went to MSG to watch show jumping in the 80's- Big Ben and Ian Miller was one of the few pairs to really dazzle me as a kid & teen.

I am extremely happy for him- he so deserves it!

Beverley
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:02 PM
I've enjoyed watching him since WIHS in the early 70s. Delighted to see him medal.

In Style got my vote (along with Cedric) for horse in the class I most wanted to steal.

Miss T
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:47 PM
According to the Olympic section in the Toronto Star today - they have a big, two-page spread with lotss of nice pics - he is a Holsteiner by Acord 11.

La Gringa
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
Congratulations to Ian Millar and the ENTIRE Canadian SJ team!!! They rode wonderfully.

Parminch
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:13 PM
I am so happy for Ian. He, as so many have said...is a true class act and a remarkable horseman. He so deserves all of the accolades that he is receiving. I am sure it was a very emotional time for he and his family, and it was obvious that Ben and Lynn were smiling down up on the entire Canadian team and especially "Captain Canada".

Wellspotted
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:38 PM
Congratulations, Ian!

Like the Overo Kid, I only have NBC, and no capability for watching the live streaming video online, and I am so glad I taped the tape that NBC showed on Sunday. How wonderful to get to see someone I have admired for so long!

Well done Ian!

SueL
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:38 PM
Mac Cone is also one of the truly good guys in the sport. I met him many years ago while in college in a clinic; he was funnier than hell, friendly and down to earth. I am very sorry his horse got hurt but happy that the rest of Team Canada carried the day under less than perfect circumstances.

Captain Canada is one of the superstars of our sport. He is so technically right on - but with this really soft, sympathetic ride. Very nice to watch.

The North Americans (US and Canada) done good. I only wish there were two gold medals to give out; the rides I saw certainly deserved them. But then, this is an objectively scored sport (unlike dressage, yuk to the scoring)

Fingers crossed that the US and Canada can sweep the individual medals

Sue

workl8
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:57 PM
I guess I am not alone in my appreciation of the great team Canada entered this year. Millar is an inspiration for all of us older riders.:winkgrin: We were at the World Cup last year and Jill Henselwood was so sweet. She personally autographed a photo for my daughter and didn't just sign her name -- she asked my daughter if she rode and personalized the autograph to include my daughter's pony's name. Congrats Team Canada and especially Captain Canada!

gottagrey
Aug. 19, 2008, 02:07 PM
extraordinary - the man is extraordinary. Watching his round this morning had me breathless. And tearful. Wonderful piece on him - that CBC site - thanks whoever posted.

Agree RR - Michael Phelps will be long gone.....

but Dara Torres :D

Not to take anything away from Michael Phelps - let's face it it is a great achievement however, he had many more opportunities to win - as do track and gymnastics. With Equestrian you have an 1100 lb partner who might not always agree with your strategy:lol: Yesterday there 7 partnerships all in synch. It was beautiful.

Frank B
Aug. 19, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ian made it easy for me to sit back and relax during the jump-off. No matter which team won, I'd be happy!

Mtn trails
Aug. 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
Congratulations Ian! He is truly a class act and deserves nothing less. I've always been a big admirer since the Big Ben days. He offered me a job working for him once, I should have taken him up on it. (I was working for another BNR at the time and thought loyalty counted for something. What was I thinking).

lauriep
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:19 PM
In 1978, the Canadians were in Europe for the World Championships with us, and we were often at the same venues, including the regular Aachen show (which is also where the WC were later in the summer). I spent a lot of time with Ian, and got to know Lynn and him very well. And Ian's certifiable groom, Pat (also known as Stella) who was a great friend. Over the ensuing years, I saw a lot of them at our U.S. shows and Lynn was always absolutely delightful, as was Ian.

Fast forward 20+ years to two years ago in FL. I had been away from the business for a long time and hadn't seen Lynn at all since, oh, 1982. I saw her in FL during the GP, and damn if she didn't remember me, my name, who I worked for, etc. One classy lady.

Way to go Ian!!! You soooo deserve it!!

AHorseSomeDay
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:27 PM
Congratulations to Ian! That's great. He deserves it. :)

JustABay
Aug. 19, 2008, 08:55 PM
I got to see Big Ben in person when I was about 12, at the Royal for the Big Ben retirement Tour. I got to give him a hug, and got my picture taken with him and Sandi Patterson. Years later I got to meet Ian, and got my picture taken with him, and they are both framed on my desk and are 2 of my most treasured possessions.
There was also talks of a Big Ben Park in Perth being made, and to help support it Ian brought some of Big Ben's tack (saddle bridle, halter and his own field boots) and there was a booth set up at The Royal with the items on display for everyone to touch and see. It was awesome to hold the reins to Big Ben's bridle, even if it was just hanging on a rack. Ian is an amazing person, and has been my idol ever since I can remember. I am so happy he finally got his medal.

FalseImpression
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
When you register on the www.cbc.ca site, there is a opportunity to send emails to each particular athlete. I did and I sent Ian the link to this thread. I have no idea if the athletes do read those emails, but I thought it would be neat if he knew how many people admire him south of the border!

I find the site very very informative and interesting!

Kairoshorses
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:56 PM
Captain Canada ROCKS....as do his kids. A few years ago, I was watching a jumping competition from Spruce Meadows, and I think his son got first, he got second, and his daughter third. What an amazing family!

And to watch him, at 61, do a double clear...well, it brought tears to my eyes.

So CONGRATS, Ian. You and your family and the team made us all--even us non-canooks--proud.

Interesting that the article about him has his last name spelled incorrectly (though it was correct in the text...!)

TropicalStorm
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
Couldn't happen to a better guy :yes: He's a wonderful ambassador of the sport.
I'm met him a couple of times now, down at Spruce, and I remember him being extremely kind to me. In fact, when I was 8, and just starting to ride, he overheard me asking my friend what a hand was (for height), tapped me on my shoulder and told his groom to bring his horse (Big Ben, although at the time I didn't know what an absolutely amazing horse he was) forward and showed me approximately how to measure :D. Then he told me to watch for him and his horse in the ring who stood 17.3hh and was larger then the rest :)
(hah, the things we remember)

Yay Captain Canada!!!

msrobin
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
Way to go Ian! Your awesome. So glad to see you get a medal should have come a lot sooner. Congrats

Minaret
Aug. 20, 2008, 12:28 AM
He's such a class act. We met him once at the Invitational a couple of years ago, and he was so friendly.

I met him a few decades ago at the Invitational when both of us were closer to being willowy and, yes, he was so friendly! His goodness glows from within and it is a lucky sport indeed to have him as a role model.

Er, and 61 isn't nearly as old as it seemed thirty years ago!

SweatySaddlepad
Aug. 20, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm very happy for Ian and Canada, congrats! One of the highlights of my life was meeting he and Big Ben at a World Qualifying event, I saw them compete several times over the years and win EVERYTIME. He and Ben could do no wrong, they were an amazing team and he is one of the best riders in the world and about as nice as they come. I look forward to watching them again in 4 years!

Dakotawyatt
Aug. 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
Glad I'm not the only American that was happy for the Canadians! I used to watch Ian and Big Ben, and Beth and Monopoly all the time on Sports South when they used to show lots of Spruce Meadows footage.

Mozart
Aug. 20, 2008, 10:59 AM
Just to give you an idea of how recognizable he is to the average Canadian, our local morning radio show had "what is Ian Millar's horse's name" as their daily Olympic trivia question. The second person got it. The caller also commented on how good looking he was and asked if he was single! (Sadly, yes)

My only mini beef is that I wish the owners of these horses got a bit of recognition from the media as well. Ian is a master technician of the sport but he is also well mounted due to the efforts of Sue Grange and Lothlorien Farms, who incidentally donate a portion of their horses' winning to "Right to Play", an association that makes sports available to disadvantaged children. I think that is pretty classy too.

red mare
Aug. 20, 2008, 11:25 AM
Couldn't happen to a better guy :yes: He's a wonderful ambassador of the sport.

Truly a class act! Way to go, Ian!

MaryG reader
Aug. 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
I heard about this thread on another board. I had to come on and post. t's clear to me that the people posting on this thread don't know the real Ian Millar. No one who does would idolize this man. You have all been fooled by the smile he likes to put on. There is nothing behind it. I shouldn't say nothing. There are plenty of qualities no young person would want to emulate and no smart person would idolize. It's rather pathetic that public personalities can fool people in this way.

Jumpster
Aug. 23, 2008, 05:02 PM
DITTO. It is no diggerent than the "George Morris' phenomenea in the US!

Jumpster
Aug. 23, 2008, 05:03 PM
"Different"

FalseImpression
Aug. 23, 2008, 05:05 PM
Whatever your beef is, you should be ashamed of yourself for coming here and posting.
Sour grapes!!!

jse
Aug. 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
I heard about this thread on another board. I had to come on and post. t's clear to me that the people posting on this thread don't know the real Ian Millar. No one who does would idolize this man. You have all been fooled by the smile he likes to put on. There is nothing behind it. I shouldn't say nothing. There are plenty of qualities no young person would want to emulate and no smart person would idolize. It's rather pathetic that public personalities can fool people in this way.

Who pee'd in your Cheerios?

MaryG reader
Aug. 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not ashamed but, if I wasn't one to follow the rules, I could tell you a lot that the subject of this thread has to be ashamed about. Most everyone on the Canadian horse show circuit could.

I have no sour grapes. I'm Canadian. I'm happy the country won a medal. I don't idolize the man (and I use that term lightly).

sisu27
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well there is one in every crowd isn't there? [edit] I can attest to the contrary in regards to Ian, I rode out of his barn. You can think what you like but what kind of jerk feels compelled to add that venom to such a nice thread? You are a sad individual and if you are even slightly human you will delete your post.

So uncalled for.

jse
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm not ashamed but, if I wasn't one to follow the rules, I could tell you a lot that the subject of this thread has to be ashamed about. Most everyone on the Canadian horse show circuit could.

I have no sour grapes. I'm Canadian. I'm happy the country won a medal. I don't idolize the man (and I use that term lightly).

Most everyone could tell you bad things about pretty much anyone in the horse industry. So what.
Why focus on that?
What's your point in coming here?

MaryG reader
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
Most everyone could tell you bad things about pretty much anyone in the horse industry. So what.
Why focus on that?
What's your point in coming here?

My question to you would be why not let the truth be known and, if we can't focus on the truth, why allow a long thread to go on that focuses on a myth?

jse
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:15 PM
My question to you would be why not let the truth be known and, if we can't focus on the truth, why allow a long thread to go on that focuses on a myth?

Well to be honest with you, the truth is, everyone has skeletons in their closet. No one is perfect and everyone has made mistakes...it's inevitable. So why focus on that? Why not focus on the good things and stick with the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Hmm?

FalseImpression
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
Even if "Most everyone on the Canadian horse show circuit could", at least they have enough class to stay away.... which can't be said about you! And all you are saying is "innuendo" anyway... Truth? what truth? At least, don't hide.. come out with it!

I am sure anybody can find dirt on any international rider... Ian deserved that medal and we are all happy he was part of the team who won it. Can't you appreciate that and the fact that after so many Olympics, he did get to bring something home?

Again, sour grapes of some kind or other!

sisu27
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:22 PM

You're a real humanitarian. You are not speaking the truth, you are voicing your opinion, which nobody asked for. The point and title of the thread was to appreciate the man, not talk $hit about him. Who are you exactly and why should you care?

MaryG reader
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
Well to be honest with you, the truth is, everyone has skeletons in their closet. No one is perfect and everyone has made mistakes...it's inevitable. So why focus on that? Why not focus on the good things and stick with the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Hmm?

I would if the good things outweighed the bad. Yes their are lots of people with skeletons in their closet. Trouble is he doesn't keep his in his closet. He wear them on his sleeve.

I stated my case. If you want to worship the ground he walks on be prepared to be walked on.

jse
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:27 PM
I would if the good things outweighed the bad. Yes their are lots of people with skeletons in their closet. Trouble is he doesn't keep his in his closet. He wear them on his sleeve.

I stated my case. If you want to worship the ground he walks on be prepared to be walked on.

That's funny cause I've never heard one bad thing about the man. Seems to me he must keep his skeletons in his closet. No one I know has ever said a mean thing about the man, I've only ever heard the good.

Like someone else said....what you are stating is your opinion and really, based on the fact that this is an Ian Millar appreciation thread, no one asked you.

Moderators will probably close this one too....such a shame.

sisu27
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:28 PM

Again, who are you? If you are so intent on spewing this garbage I want to know why I should believe you.

Roan
Aug. 23, 2008, 06:32 PM
This is an Ian Millar Appreciation thread. If you want to start an Ian Millar UNappreciation thread, please do. But it's not fair for you to sabotage this one.

Eileen

FalseImpression
Aug. 23, 2008, 07:23 PM
It makes me so angry... obviously you saw the link on EMG.. but you did not have the nerve to post there, did you? You knew, you'd be shot down asap by the mods and posters.

jse
Aug. 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
It makes me so angry... obviously you saw the link on EMG.. but you did not have the nerve to post there, did you? You knew, you'd be shot down asap by the mods and posters.

Isn't it ridiculous?
I asked my husband who has been just about everywhere with jumpers, including Canada, if he's ever heard a bad thing at the Captain and he said no. And my husband is a good judge of character.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
There's something about new posters who come on so strong that makes me think .. why?

Moderator 1
Aug. 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
We removed a number of posts containing various innuendo and responses to it, back-and-forth personal commentary, etc. Apparently, someone felt the need to voice an opposing opinion regarding the sentiments being expressed about Ian in this thread. Fine, that opinion has been voiced.

Everyone has their detractors for various reasons. If those reasons relate to an individual's personal/non-horsey life or are not based on proven facts, it doesn't belong on this board, so there likely isn't more to be said on that front.

We encourage those who don't support that opposing opinion to refocus on the reasons why they were originally drawn to this thread--appreciation of Ian vs. arguing with someone set on an opposing viewpoint.

Thanks,
Mod 1

Foxtrot's
Aug. 24, 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Mod.1. Lately this board has been diminished by personal vendettas against certain people. We know it is just a BB, but because people are posting under pseudos, there is a lot of spite out there from people who do not have the brass to say it face to face.

What makes this BB special is the other posters; posters with heart and knowledge, humour, and so on.

jse
Aug. 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you mod. 1.
Sorry I kept fuel in the fire :no:
I hope this serves as an example and that people actually read and comprehend the rules of the board in the future.

MaryG reader
Aug. 25, 2008, 08:09 AM
We know it is just a BB, but because people are posting under pseudos, there is a lot of spite out there from people who do not have the brass to say it face to face.

No spite on my part. Just trying to help younger people not get hurt by the illusions they hold about people who seem important to them. No one is perfect and putting them on a pedestal can end up really disappointing. Young people are very susecptible to this and I was just trying to snap some people back to reality.

I have said it face to face with the subject. No shyness on my part either.

HORSEBACKRIDER
Aug. 25, 2008, 08:36 AM
No spite on my part. Just trying to help younger people not get hurt by the illusions they hold about people who seem important to them. No one is perfect and putting them on a pedestal can end up really disappointing. Young people are very susecptible to this and I was just trying to snap some people back to reality.

No shyness, no kindness, no class.

Presses the ignore button.

FalseImpression
Aug. 25, 2008, 10:44 AM

This forum does not cater to young people who would be "susecptible" (remember your comment about spelling?).. we are all adults who know that nobody is perfect, but WE can make the difference between personal and professional lives. I wish you would show some "class" (but that is beyond you!) and realize you will not get anyone to agree with you on this bb.

So long!

Foxtrot's
Aug. 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
Oh my - you are only trying to help young people??? There are other, more practical, ways.

veebug22
Aug. 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm not a young kid anymore, but perhaps I was susceptible when I was a kid and first met Ian. Every person that is looked up to has things in their closet, and sides that aren't as admirable, but those aren't the sides I learned from or saw in Ian. What I saw was someone that exemplified honesty, talent, encouragement of others, humility, and oh, did I mention talent?? That's what I saw and what was impressed upon me, and those are the qualities I took away, so whatever the beef that has come up, he has contributed to this sport in so many ways... including making a positive impression on riders of all ages, and helping them aspire to the admirable qualities he displayed. I wouldn't say I showed extensively in Ontario, but I showed quite a bit and have lots of good friends (in Canada) who have been around the same circles and shows as him for a loonnnggg time, and they think he's a good guy. To us, he continues to show why he should be so admired.

Go Captain Canada!!!! :D

Moderator 1
Aug. 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
If someone doesn't appreciate Ian Millar's Olympic accomplishments per the main topic of this thread, he/she can state that opinion, as has been done. That person is not welcome to take over the thread to repeatedly engage others who do in an argument.

We encourage other posters to utilize the "alert" or "ignore" features where appropriate.

Thanks,
Mod 1

vineyridge
Aug. 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
Perhaps this is stirring the pot, and perhaps this post doesn't belong here, and it really doesn't have to do with Ian Millar directly, but....

Several years ago on one of the Spruce Meadows telecasts, Johnathan (Jonathan?) Millar had a horse stop on him twice in a round. I have never ever seen any jumping rider beat his horse so unmercifully in the ring as JM did after the second stop.

I was appalled that anyone with the Millar name would lose his temper so completely with his ride. I was reminded of the use of the whip in slavery days in the South. :mad:

Just saying...

And this was not Ian, but his son.

Congratulations to IM for his medal, and for a lovely performance in Hong Kong. But you Canadians need to be very wary of putting JM on a Team unless he's learned to keep his temper under tight control. A bad round is no excuse for beating a horse.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hope the stewards were on hand to take care of that.

chukkerchild
Aug. 27, 2008, 03:37 PM
The stories I've heard about pretty much every big name rider usually come from ejected former students. My guess is that these top riders train hard, push hard, demand a lot-- that's how they got to the top. If you can't stand the heat, don't... sit in the fire? Something like that.

sisu27
Aug. 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
Perhaps this is stirring the pot, and perhaps this post doesn't belong here, and it really doesn't have to do with Ian Millar directly, but....

Several years ago on one of the Spruce Meadows telecasts, Johnathan (Jonathan?) Millar had a horse stop on him twice in a round. I have never ever seen any jumping rider beat his horse so unmercifully in the ring as JM did after the second stop.

I was appalled that anyone with the Millar name would lose his temper so completely with his ride. I was reminded of the use of the whip in slavery days in the South. :mad:

Just saying...

And this was not Ian, but his son.

Congratulations to IM for his medal, and for a lovely performance in Hong Kong. But you Canadians need to be very wary of putting JM on a Team unless he's learned to keep his temper under tight control. A bad round is no excuse for beating a horse.

Once again...I rode out of their barn. We rode in the same arena. I have never seen IM, JM or AM do anything like that. I'm not saying the story is untrue but I am saying it is out of character from what I saw. Can we all honestly say we haven't had our moments of frustration while on a horse? I remember being a lot less patient and understanding when I was younger and admitedly, not always nice. My current horse and I would have killed each other had I had him as a teen. This is the problem, you don't really know the horse or rider and you see him deliver a beating once on a horse that is stopping years ago and now he is a convicted horse abuser and should not be considered for the team. C'mon. I also can't get too excited about a beating with a jumping bat...I've seen far more damage done by daily draw rein crankings at any given dressage barn. Not making excuses for beating a horse if it is just loss of temper or poor ride.

Aussie_Dog
Aug. 27, 2008, 11:59 PM
I saw that telecast, too, actually, and I believe it was sometime around 2001-2003 (give or take). I'm surprised someone else remembers that, because that image has stuck in my mind. Horse refused twice, and then Jonathan was holding him in place and slapping his rump repeatedly with the crop, and I could be wrong, but I remember the horse's mouth open in distress and he might have been crying out (being a telecast, and being young, my brain might have embellished things). I've been, lets just say, distrustful of Jonathan Millar since (Mario Deslauriers did it once, too, and I'm sure I remember his horse crying out too, being held back while being whipped. I like him even less than Jonathan, as a result. It might have been when his horse refused at Spruce Meadows' table top, and Mario fell off, or almost fell off). I've been wary of hating these riders right out, because lets be honest, they're the ones riding and they know these horses better than I do. Who's to say these horses haven't been schooled extensively over similar jumps at home, showing not fear over the jumps but distain or just a lack of wanting to work over them, and the whipping was over that and not out of frustration. But then again, the whipping was pretty brutal-looking. But like I say, the riders know best. You can tell I'm confused on the matter, lol

For what it's worth, I, too, agree that it's out of character for both riders, and I haven't seen a similar "tantrum" before or since.

Moderator 1
Aug. 29, 2008, 08:35 AM
Please stay on topic--the OP of the thread concerns IM and his accomplishment in this Olympic Games.

Thanks!
Mod 1

ridenslide
Sep. 2, 2008, 09:36 AM
Congratulations Ian!I AM happy that he reached his goal of an Olympic medal.

He has the BEST PR on the planet.;)
I will leave it at that.:winkgrin:

And , yes, I do know from personal experience, and yes, I do admire the man.:eek:
Do I like everything he does? Nope.:no::eek:

Is he a true horseman? Absolutely, in the highest sense of the word.
As he is a fierce competitor.He is always thinking & working.

I was there during the Ben Era. My husband drove ben to Guelph for his second surgery after which Ben recovered & had his most winning year EVER.
We rode and planned worked, and good grief, did we drink coffee.

Lynn taught me her fabulous lungeing program, which I use to this day. Who needs a whip? You get fit, sound horses. Ian made me learn it.

Ian made me learn. Ian also made me cry, pretty much every day. I was not one of his customers. I was his Assistant trainer's fiancee.I was disposable.
I walked out of a year and a half of "torture":winkgrin: having trained my first jumper, showing in the High AO and ending up 6th in the CET that year. A customer of Jill Henselwood's bought that "woman-broke" ;) horse.

THen there are the other horses I got to ride, including Ben.I HATED riding Ben & Baarlo!I knew I was going to die they were so spooky. How Ian got accomplished what he did, in a medium loose-ring SNAFFLE, still amazes me.
If he had to use "gear" on a horse, I really didn't want to get near it.

I cannot put a value on what I learned off & on the horses in that time.

So, Thank you, Ian, Lynn, Jonathon, & Amy. Yes, Lynn & Ben were watching.

ps, Ian,When we sold Ewald to Heather Fox,& Jill , Gilles(Jellybean) DID tell me that you said he was the best broke horse you had ever sat on!!!:eek: Woman broke- ha!:lol:

MaryG reader
Sep. 12, 2008, 08:16 AM
Congratulations Ian!I AM happy that he reached his goal of an Olympic medal.

He has the BEST PR on the planet.;)
I will leave it at that.:winkgrin:

And , yes, I do know from personal experience, and yes, I do admire the man.:eek:
Do I like everything he does? Nope.:no::eek:

Is he a true horseman? Absolutely, in the highest sense of the word.
As he is a fierce competitor.He is always thinking & working.

I was there during the Ben Era. My husband drove ben to Guelph for his second surgery after which Ben recovered & had his most winning year EVER.
We rode and planned worked, and good grief, did we drink coffee.

Lynn taught me her fabulous lungeing program, which I use to this day. Who needs a whip? You get fit, sound horses. Ian made me learn it.

Ian made me learn. Ian also made me cry, pretty much every day. I was not one of his customers. I was his Assistant trainer's fiancee.I was disposable.
I walked out of a year and a half of "torture":winkgrin: having trained my first jumper, showing in the High AO and ending up 6th in the CET that year. A customer of Jill Henselwood's bought that "woman-broke" ;) horse.

THen there are the other horses I got to ride, including Ben.I HATED riding Ben & Baarlo!I knew I was going to die they were so spooky. How Ian got accomplished what he did, in a medium loose-ring SNAFFLE, still amazes me.
If he had to use "gear" on a horse, I really didn't want to get near it.

I cannot put a value on what I learned off & on the horses in that time.

So, Thank you, Ian, Lynn, Jonathon, & Amy. Yes, Lynn & Ben were watching.

ps, Ian,When we sold Ewald to Heather Fox,& Jill , Gilles(Jellybean) DID tell me that you said he was the best broke horse you had ever sat on!!!:eek: Woman broke- ha!:lol:

This is the most realistic post I've seen on this thread. And you got it RIGHT when you said he has the best PR on the Planet. I know his long-time PR person and I don't believe the crap she's had to take from him while she's created that "Captain Canada" image. No professional should have to take it from a client.

FalseImpression
Sep. 12, 2008, 10:07 AM
"and I don't believe the crap she's had to take to from him"....

You never will give it a rest, will you? Once again, any "well known figure" in any sport or any field will have an ego that does not please everyone.... No matter what he did to you personally, we still admire the horseman/rider. Just accept that!

ridenslide
Sep. 12, 2008, 10:54 AM
I still love & admire the man. He and Lynn taught me more than i could ever have hoped to learn anywhere else. THAT is invaluable. What goes on behind the scenes pales in comparison to other programs at that level. Please, Accept that the MAN has his faults.At least he isn't out getting into bar fights or baring himself in public, doing drugs, etc.
I think Mario and Mac Cone are great,too BTW.The Cones are a GREAT family!!!!But this thread is not about those people.

At the Atlanta Olympics, hubby was doing TV coverage for Canada, so we got to walk the the course. I was walking some humongous line, marveling at the fact that "I" was on the Olympic showjumping course, when I heard, "Hey, Honey, how ARE you?"from ACROSS the ring!!:eek: Oh, crap.I recognized that voice--from where, think quick? Turn around slowly, hubby of course has SNAPPED around.OOOHHHHH!!!! IAN!!!! OF course. He GAVE me that nickname.PHEW! {Hubby called me honey ALL the time before we were married( i think to claim his turf), so then Ian & his cronies started & then EVERYBODY did...wives included!}My chaps said Honey-what does that say?:winkgrin:!
Back to the coursewalk,Ian was walking with Lynn & the German team.
We got up to their group & greeted as old friends do, with hugs.Lynn & I struck up on family & the men on whatever the men were talking about.
The German team could not stop looking back and forth from Ian,Lynn & me & talking amongst themselves,appearing very confused.I assumed, they were concerned about a particularly combination.
Paul finally translated that they were confused about Ian calling out to his "honey" in front of her husband, his wife and the world.
We ALL got a good laugh from THAT one!:lol:

Foxtrot's
Sep. 12, 2008, 12:40 PM
What would Ian think if he was to read this thread and find out that his PR person is talking about him this way to others - (I hope he's too busy to read this malarky, or too sensible). Of the ten posts Mary has made, they are all negative.

MaryG reader
Sep. 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
What would Ian think if he was to read this thread and find out that his PR person is talking about him this way to others - (I hope he's too busy to read this malarky, or too sensible). Of the ten posts Mary has made, they are all negative.

Who said his PR person is on this thread? Is she? Which poster is she?

How do you know she's talking about him?