PDA

View Full Version : Funny things your non-horsey ppl say re: equestrian in the olympics

Keep1Belle
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
So, figures the one day SJ is on a channel I get, I am riding. I thought I would be home in time, but no such luck.

Anyway. My boyfriend watched and I asked him what he thought of it. this is his reply:

"it was pretty amazing. i still don't know how they get those horses to do that. the obstacle is purposely set up to confuse the horse. trying to make optical illusions with the water and brightly painted fences. it's nuts"

Me (sarcasticly) "Boyfriend, so you think they are playing Jedi mind tricks on the horses?"

Boyfriend: " Yes yes. that is exactly whats going on. the poor horses dont even know it"

ROTFL

caffeinated
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:42 PM
"But... what is the point of this 'dressage'?"

Mozart
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
Great idea for a fun thread. I told a work colleague that Canada won team silver in show jumping and she said "Oh, is that the synchronized jumping event?" :lol:

Maybe next Olympics...

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
One of the funniest non-horsey perspective things I've ever read:

The Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games in 1996 included in their original budget for the overall event an allowance to provide horses for the athletes in the equestrian competitions. :D

I guess they thought it was like providing discuses for the throwers or poles for the vaulters. They actually did not know that horse people at the Olympics prefer to bring their own mounts. :lol:

DeLovely
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not related to the Olympics, but funny...

Overheard at the barn:
"Daddy, why is Aunt Helen making that horse go in circles?"(lunging)
reply:
"Well, she's trying to make him dizzy before she climbs on."

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:13 PM
My younger brother when I was watching the 1992 Olympics on cable and he was about 6 asked me why so many of the riders "spanked" their horses at the end of their turn. "Is it so they'll do better and win next time?"

HJALO
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
from my fiance (bless his heart):

"Don't the horses get tired having to do 3 different events?" (meaning showjumping, dressage and eventing

And, this really got me:
"Boy, those jumps are A LOT bigger than the ones you jump!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Milocalwinnings
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:23 PM
My dad was watching dressage (I was amazed, he actually sat through all of Dressage and SJ! We're making progress!)

Dad: "What in the world is a 'fly change'?"
Me: "A fly change? Do you mean a Flying Lead Change?"
Dad: "I don't know.... I thought they said a Fly Change"
Me: "Well, a flying change is hard to explain.... you know how horses have to be on a certain lead when cantering?"
Dad: "No....."
Me: "well nevermind. It's basically where they canter and change the lead without going back down to a trot.... "
Dad: "Ohh! I see it! So every two strides you do a flying lead change"
Me: "No, not exactly- you can. Or when changing directions or each stride etc".

Dad: "Wow, this is horrible! The horse is going down the centerline almost sideways!"
Me: "They are supposed to be.... they are doing a shoulder in so they aren't supposed to have their whole body straight"

Dad: "Oh my gosh! Why is the horse rearing up in a circle like that?"
Me: ":sigh: it's a canter pirouette (sp?). They aren't rearing up.... they are doing fine"

Show Jumping:
Dad: "Jeeze, this is boring- where are all the exciting jumps? Where is the water, big logs or anything?!"
Me: "That's cross country. They already did those. This is stadium.... it's supposed to be set up this way- you don't have logs and big water jumps in stadium"

My dad is not very horsey. He tries though.... and it makes for some good entertainment sometimes;)

johnnysauntie
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:28 PM
My husband was messing with our computer, since I was having trouble getting NBC's streaming video to work. He fiddled away while I hopped up and down, hoping to see the eventing dressage. He finally got it to work and said "Wow, that's a bouncy horse. It must be hard to make them bounce like that." I scampered over, to see fits of very athletic bucking, I think it was that poor guy from the Netherlands who ended up with an awful score, the horse was just having none of dressage that day ....

HJALO
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=Milocalwinnings;3453885]My dad was watching dressage (I was amazed, he actually sat through all of Dressage and SJ! We're making progress!)

Dad: "Wow, this is horrible! The horse is going down the centerline almost sideways!"

Dad: "Oh my gosh! Why is the horse rearing up in a circle like that?"

Dad: "Jeeze, this is boring- where are all the exciting jumps? Where is the water, big logs or anything?!"
[QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol: That is fantastic!

Jasper'sMom
Aug. 18, 2008, 05:40 PM

The Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games in 1996 included in their original budget for the overall event an allowance to provide horses for the athletes in the equestrian competitions. :D

I guess they thought it was like providing discuses for the throwers or poles for the vaulters. They actually did not know that horse people at the Olympics prefer to bring their own mounts. :lol:

That is funny! I wonder what they budgeted or where they thought they might buy these horses? Non-horsey people are usually *ahem* a little startled to find out what an Olympic level horse costs...

citydog
Aug. 18, 2008, 05:54 PM

The horses used in the modern pentathlon (shooting, fencing, swimming, show jumping, and running) are indeed supplied by the organizers.

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
According to the story I read (can't remember source, it was in 1996), they did indeed include horse allowance for ALL equestrian events in the initial draft of the budget.

dogchushu
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
My brother, while watching dressage, asked me "how long does it take horses to memorize this?" Yes. He thought the horses memorized the entire dressage test.

Ibex
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
Email with the youtube link to Matinee.

"So is this what you do???? SO COOL!!!"

Yup, that's what I do... in my fantasies... :lol:

Elegante E
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
A friend in Singapore reported that they weren't showing her favorite events on tv very much (Diving and ghymnastics - hmm, she should come here). But she did get to see some horses which were "prancing and dancing about" which she enjoyed. I'm thinking she meant dressage - not that I haven't tried explaining it to her for nearly a decade.

Ajierene
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
That is funny! I wonder what they budgeted or where they thought they might buy these horses? Non-horsey people are usually *ahem* a little startled to find out what an Olympic level horse costs...

I got a nice tax refund last year and finally lived my dream of buying a nice jumping and dressage saddle and finally getting out of my childhood saddle.

My boyfriend went with me to pick up one of my saddles and was floored to find out it cost over $1,000. I told him that $1200 is not that much for a good saddle...

Kenike
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
My FIL is a small rancher in Texas, so not exactly non-horsey, but certainly not exactly horsey, either. He wrote me an email yesterday expressly to tell me he was thinking of me and that he loved the "grey Arabian" the "little lady" from the U.S. was riding. :lol:
He was talking about Laura Kraut and Cedric. I did correct him on the breeding, but only after I had a good laugh. It was cute....at least to me

4Martini
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
One of my co-workers said he thought the dressage horses looked drunk stumbling sideways across the arena and kept cheering for them to go straight. I tried to explain it was actually hard to get them to stumble sideways.

Wellspotted
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
dressagetraks posted:

The Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games in 1996 included in their original budget for the overall event an allowance to provide horses for the athletes in the equestrian competitions.

I think that's kind of thoughtful, really. Maybe they got the idea from intercollegiate competitions where the riders have to ride the horses provided at the venue. At least they were giving the matter some thought!

Reiter
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm totally in the dark ages when it comes to technology, I have dial-up internet and no cable, etc.
So I was begging my father-in-law to tape some of the equestrian events for me. He asked me if I wanted to see the men's or the women's! ;)

Traum
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:40 PM
A friend of mine happened to catch dressage and posted this description on his blog. "he thought walking around the ring was the warm up. No, it is horse parading and posing" :lol:

Haven't I taught him better than that?!

TexasTB
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
my cousin, while watching individual dressage last night:

during the passage/ piaffe tour:
"so, is it really hard to train the horse to gallop like that??"

and during the lateral work:
"wow, how do they make the horses do that? do they just have to pull on the reins alot??"

hahaha i had a good laugh..

Mayaty02
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
My 5 yr old daughter was watching the dressage with me and during the flying lead changes every stride, she said:

"I didn't know horses could skip!"

I'd never thought of it that way but it sure does look like skipping :)

My husband today who should know better, was watching the team show jumping jump off and was only looking at the time, he thought the higher the time, the better, notwithstanding any jumps falling down :) and of course, he said:

"wow that was incredible (after seeing Special Ed go), I mean the horse, not the rider" (because of course riding is not a sport and requires no athletic ability at all) :no:

Carol O
Aug. 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
Dressage:

They say "That's not a sport! The horse is doing all the work!" , at which point I offer my PSG schoolmaster to them and ask them to try simply riding down the centerline at a trot, and halt squarely at X. Nobody has taken me up on this yet.

Others say it is like watching paint dry. They just need to see it done badly, and then see it doen well, I think!

kateh
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
They just need to see it done badly, and then see it doen well, I think!

I don't know, my friend told me he almost fell asleep watching the dressage. :lol:

Prieta
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
:lol::lol:
One of my co-workers said he thought the dressage horses looked drunk stumbling sideways across the arena and kept cheering for them to go straight. I tried to explain it was actually hard to get them to stumble sideways.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
Just got a note from my Dad. My stepmother is trying to record all of this for me, since I don't get the right channels. She's having to run interference with him over the equipment but is doing a great job so far, got most things.

Dad has actually watched a bit of it, in spite of a negative score HQ. He was asking on cross country if I knew how BIG those jumps were and if I knew they did it in the rain. :eek:

Anyway, tonight's email: "We just recorded the USA jumping the GOLD medal for you."

The mental image on that one was pretty funny. Jumping the gold medal.

All silly comments aside, I can't wait to get these recordings from them and clean them up (have all non horse events removed). Should wind up with a nice DVD or two of solid horses.

MelantheLLC
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:11 PM
Great idea for a fun thread. I told a work colleague that Canada won team silver in show jumping and she said "Oh, is that the synchronized jumping event?" :lol:

Maybe next Olympics...

YES! I'd pay to see synchronized jumping. They could wear sparkly caps that match! And do it to music! NBC execs would love it!

Equa
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:15 PM
The only reason our dear relatives and other loved ones say such cute (stupid) things when watching equestrian sports is because the commentary is so woefully BAD!!!!

Grrrrrrrr!!!! It is making me very angry. The Australian Channel 7 commentator is a jockey (yep, he has one of those voices too....) who just because he has thrown a leg over a horse once or twice, and becuase the Rugby guys thinks he's OK, has been put in the hot seat.

What he says is ludicrous (and there has been some attenpt to educate him, I've been told).

Imagine if the swimming commentators said dumb, obvious things as "They've all dived in. Now they are swimming to the other end of the pool. They are doing Butterstroke (or Breastfly, take your pick of malapropisms)." This is what the jockey sounds like when describing a showjumping round - he merely states the obvious - and gets even THAT wrong.

When people say watching Grand Prix dressage is like watching paint dry, I really wonder why we can't do the same as all those far less visually interesting sports, such as swimming (flies crawling along a wall), golf (what the?), tennis (slow ping pong), distance running, cycling (round and round the velodrome...) that are given life by good expert commentary.

It makes ALL the difference, and empowers viewers, so that they don't have to ask stupid questions. And I would not feel so cranky.

SarahandSam
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
Watching showjumping yesterday with husband and father-in-law... f-i-l asks, "Well, what if the horse doesn't want to do all that jumping?" Coincidentally, that was just the moment that--I think it was Beezie's horse?--decided to refuse coming into the triple combination. "Well, that would be your answer..."

Husband and father-in-law also were getting a kick out of all the times the announcer pointed out how many horses had a foot in the water jump. "And he came nicely out of the water jump, where we've seen so many horses have difficulty... that's thirteen feet wide and it's so easy for them to get a foot in, as so many have today..." They really did mention it with every freaking round...

kateh
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
YES! I'd pay to see synchronized jumping. They could wear sparkly caps that match! And do it to music! NBC execs would love it!

Or they could do SJ hunt team style-each horse/horse crash worth 4 faults.

springer
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
My husband, watching Olympic dressage:
"Why are they doing that?"
(he's from Montana) :)

Equa
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
Watching the gymnastics, I thought they could repackage equestrian with sparkly lycra, and have each combination just do a run-up to a wickedly difficult jump (like a vault) - judged on style and execution.

The Dr-sarge could be indoors on a bouncy surface in a 20 x 20 ring and go for 1.5 minutes. Vaulting moves by the rider, plus tricks such as cantering backwards and rearing could score extra, as would juggling riding crops while piaffing. The end would require lying down like a dying swan. (artistic gymnastics).

Eventing would be repackaged as a true endurance triathlon thing. Forget going back to the classic long format - bring on the 100 kilometers - and make it a true race - all setting off at once. Getting off and fighting, or swinging of the horse's tail while it climbs a ravine would be encouraged. As would a swimming sector. First past the post wins gold.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:11 PM
The BF watching a well done Passage (likely for the first time in his life):

"Hehe, that horse is dancing!" (I was impressed, because my lively demonstration of flying leadchanges (the day *I* learned to ride them) cantering around the living room only solicited eyerolling).

SR Rider
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:17 PM
how about the friend/loved one who asks why you still take riding lessons after
all these years...don't you think you know how to do it by now

Individualblue07
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
So my sister... Is a total ballerina!
She came to one of my shows to watch me ride, and afterwords when i was hosing of my horse, i asked her to hand me a bottle of shampoo. She looked at me, the horse, then the ground. She looked back at me and said " Uh yea, i dont think so. Theres horse poop every where! It SMELLS and im wearing my nice sandals... i dont "do" getting dirty. SOrry"

She tends to crack me up. The other day i was watching the dressage, and she came and said to me "oh my gosh! Are they like pretending to be from the old days and dancing? I dont get it! Oh my gosh! That horse is out of control!!!!"

So i of course had to tell her... "umm... no, thats part of their test."

Out of everything... The funniest thing she EVER said was when i was asking her to help me come up with a show name for a horse at my barn last year. His barn name was Laddy... so i told her to come up with some things and out of no where... she shouts: "CLIMB UP MY LADDY!!!!" I could not stop laughing!

Oh how people that have no idea whats going on crack me up! lol

Pat
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:31 PM

Ya know, after all these years, I finally got that one recently!! I don't remember exactly how it came up or what I said, but it was along the lines of "well, there's always something new to learn." That must have satisfied the person since that's all I remember.

I'm watching alone. I like it this way, no explaining and nobody distracting me. But it's freeking out the dog because I'm not all that quiet about it. When that one horse caught a flyer to the water and clipped the line, well I squeeked like I was hanging over the rail and it was *my* horse getting a bad distance. Dog just about peed his pants, I scared him so bad.:lol::lol:

CrazyDog
Aug. 19, 2008, 07:29 AM
Watching showjumping yesterday with husband and father-in-law... f-i-l asks, "Well, what if the horse doesn't want to do all that jumping?" Coincidentally, that was just the moment that--I think it was Beezie's horse?--decided to refuse coming into the triple combination. "Well, that would be your answer..."

Husband and father-in-law also were getting a kick out of all the times the announcer pointed out how many horses had a foot in the water jump. "And he came nicely out of the water jump, where we've seen so many horses have difficulty... that's thirteen feet wide and it's so easy for them to get a foot in, as so many have today..." They really did mention it with every freaking round...

Was that the BBC commentary by any chance? I am very lucky to have most of the equestrian events shown live in their entirety (and a lovely husband who is taping them for me) but I need to watch them with the sound turned off. :)

SarahandSam
Aug. 19, 2008, 09:12 AM
Was that the BBC commentary by any chance? I am very lucky to have most of the equestrian events shown live in their entirety (and a lovely husband who is taping them for me) but I need to watch them with the sound turned off. :)

No, it was the American commentary--I think I'm turning the sound off from this point on too. (;

lisa
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
My 5 yr old daughter was watching the dressage with me and during the flying lead changes every stride, she said:

"I didn't know horses could skip!"

I'd never thought of it that way but it sure does look like skipping :)

And we (daughter and I) do tempi changes instead of skip... :)

LisaB
Aug. 19, 2008, 10:45 AM
"Do they supply the horses or do you have to bring your own?"

Oh yeah, actually have gotten that more than once.

chukkerchild
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
My grandpa called me all excited when the jump-off between Canada and the US was on to make sure I was watching it. After we found out who won, he was like, "Canada will get gold in 2012-- you'll be there!" And I was like, "Hahaha, in my dreams." And he was like, all seriously, "If you need ANY financial support, we're here, we know you can do it!"

Well, look, I only have about a foot and a half to go!!

talkofthetown
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:45 AM
Haven't read all of these yet, but the first few made me laugh.

We were talking to our very non-horsey, but very polite friends, and explaining how we know people in mulitple equestrian events, from multiple countries. The husband said "Oh, that's right, we just found out that you can ride horses in the Olympics".

Uh, yeah....? :lol:

caffeinated
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
My grandpa called me all excited when the jump-off between Canada and the US was on to make sure I was watching it. After we found out who won, he was like, "Canada will get gold in 2012-- you'll be there!" And I was like, "Hahaha, in my dreams." And he was like, all seriously, "If you need ANY financial support, we're here, we know you can do it!"

aww! that's so cute!

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
Had Isabell's horse not had a meltdown based on the scores she most likely would have received for that part of the test would she have won?

ponyjumper4
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:30 PM

I usually respond with "yeah, well Michael Jordan still had a basketball coach and had to go to practice", or Tom Brady, depending on the person's sport of choice.

petitefilly
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
I don't know, my friend told me he almost fell asleep watching the dressage. :lol:

:):):):) My Dear Husband has now been to a **world cup** and still falls asleep at every ride! He says it is like watching paint dry. OHMY! So...... I give him a job now while we go places, he gets the video camera and takes the movies. He always asks now-----when will that "Spanky, or Panky, or whatever going to ride?" :) He also likes the announcers in Europe who roll their 'r's' when calling out the names.

I have him on alert now: FILM at eleven~!

hey101
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
My hubby actually is fairly horsey, so his comments during the eventing XC were pretty astute... he was yelling at Amy to get Poggio under control about 10 strides out from her fall, and how Karen didn't set Mandiba up well at all with her run-out at the (brush was it? can't remember now). OTOH he can recognize true genius when he sees it... had GREAT things to say about Toddy (even if he WAS wearing THOSE PANTS :lol:). And just before Authentic refused the triple, he said "I think he has something wrong with his ear- he's shaking his head and not even looking at that jump". He does think dressage is pretty boring... I didn't make him suffer through it, I watched it later by myself. And he has now decided that there IS a sport out there that is less "manly" than riding in the English outfits... sychronized diving. LOL.

As far as dressage being like paint drying... you have to remember, to each his own. I myself find gymnastics to be mind-numbingly boring... after all, they all do the same darn thing over and over! And then I remembered that everyone does the same dressage test, and rides the same XC test, and jumps the same stadium test...:D.

icy98ach
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:36 PM
I was watching the showjumping last night with my boyfriend and after the 3rd horse he said that it was like watching paint dry and he was about to walk out of the room. In walks horse #4 wearing an ear bonnet and he said, "Look look at the BatHorse!" Apparently anything wearing a hat over their ears officially turns into a Bat-(fill in the blank).

A few minutes later started to referring to them as horse yarmulke!

jesterjigger
Aug. 20, 2008, 11:14 AM
Most of my co-workers and in-laws have the same gripes.

Why are they dressed the same?
Why aren't they dressed in a costume representing their country (Americans should be dressed as cowboys was one example given to me)
Does the horse get a medal too? (Three different people said that they didn't think it was fair that only the rider got a medal when the horse did all the work)

I loved watching the dressage, but most of the music was mind numbingly boring. We'll see what comments I get today.

Equilibrium
Aug. 20, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well Mr. Equilibrium is very horsey and the better horseman for sure, but Dressage just ain't his thing. So he's been annoyed with all the dressage watching of late especially as he's missing racing. But anyway in comes Don Schufro, a horse I adore, and whata know, Pink Floyd is playing. Somebody perked up and said, well isn't it about time somebody used some decent music. Then thought it might be fun to try out his own riding to music on his ever trusty ISH. Please don't, for the love of God, please don't!!!!! That would be one of those youtube distasters we all laugh about.

Terri

VarsityHero4
Aug. 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
I heard someone on the radio the other day (from what I get they were talking about dressage) and they said, "They just go around in circles dancing. I can't tell if they're judging the rider, the horse, or the outfit!"

forward ride
Aug. 20, 2008, 03:19 PM
watching the dressage special with the BF when Anky comes in (and BF had pretty much sat down on couch with me and started paying attention):

me: "She is a beautiful rider."

BF: "SHE? That's a dude, look at the tophat."

and during the freestyle, BF appears to have learned the tophat lesson:

me: "Look at his legs there" (when horse was coming across diagonal at extended trot)

BF: "That's a chick riding."

me: "no, the horse's legs, not the rider's"

eventer@heart
Aug. 20, 2008, 04:59 PM
not Olympic but a friend of mine came to my last event and walked X-C with me. There were 2 options for the first fence and she asked which I was going to jump - I said all of mine were labeled with the purple & white numbers.

She replied, "oh, so horses can see in color and your horse knows to jump the ones with purple & white" :eek: not as a question - just a statement - thought this was pretty funny!

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 20, 2008, 05:40 PM

But aren't the horses borrowed for decathlon (or pentathalon or whatever it is that has a small SJ component)?

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 20, 2008, 05:42 PM
said that they didn't think it was fair that only the rider got a medal when the horse did all the work)

LOL that is too funny.

Mozart
Aug. 20, 2008, 05:42 PM
But aren't the horses borrowed for decathlon (or pentathalon or whatever it is that has a small SJ component)?

Modern pentathlon. Yes. But why anyone would lend their good horse to be jumped 3'6" by pentathletes who will hang on to their face before, during and after the jump is beyond me.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
Modern pentathlon. Yes. But why anyone would lend their good horse to be jumped 3'6" by pentathletes who will hang on to their face before, during and after the jump is beyond me.

I know; I have thought the same when watching it. I was just thinking that might explain the provision in the Atlanta Olympics' budget for horses.

kayla
Aug. 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
Good commentary definitely factors in. My sweetie took me to see the Lippizan tour, which has some decent commentary for those who don't know what the horses are doing.

My bf was surprised to find out that foaming at the mouth was good. He'd seen horses froth while overseas and thought it was a sign of horse abuse!

larosa90
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:22 AM
I kid you not, I was just cruising the NBC.com site and under browse video by sport, it has:

Olympics Equestrian

Team USA Jumps for Joy
Download

German Rides to Double Gold
Download

Women's Cross Country Equestrian
Download

Go and see for yourself at ...

http://www.nbc.com/olympicsonthego/browse_by.shtml

dirteater
Aug. 21, 2008, 06:27 AM
I had a coworker ask me why we don't ride zebras in dressage instead of horses, because a zebra is "just a fancier horse." :lol:

Sandy M
Aug. 21, 2008, 07:59 AM
I know; I have thought the same when watching it. I was just thinking that might explain the provision in the Atlanta Olympics' budget for horses.

Can't speak for others, but my second eventing gelding - a 16.3 Appy - could easily jump up to 5 feet (I evented him through prelim, did jumpers to 4'6" and once did a six bar to 5'3" before MY nerve failed), and believe me, no incompetent rider could screw him up. He did what he wanted. I used a relatively mild bit on him, because it made little difference what you put in his mouth. I could jump small courses on him bridleless, but if he wanted to go (on x-country, say), he had a mouth of iron. I could adjust him in front of the fences, but if a rider got left behind, dropped him or otherwise screwed up, he would still jump 99.5% of the time. I would have been willing to donate him for use in 1984 for the Pentathalon. ROFLOL!

DawnT
Aug. 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
not Olympic but a friend of mine came to my last event and walked X-C with me. There were 2 options for the first fence and she asked which I was going to jump - I said all of mine were labeled with the purple & white numbers.

She replied, "oh, so horses can see in color and your horse knows to jump the ones with purple & white" :eek: not as a question - just a statement - thought this was pretty funny!

My daughter has these kind of friends. Don't have a clue but come along and try so hard to understand and support her. They make the whole weekend fun.

aljohnso
Aug. 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
I just got this in an email from my father-in-law

"We saw some of the Olympics Dressage. The German woman was doing well but then for a few moments the horse refused to respond to her direction. Something about the big screen TV, loud speaker or something. Obedience was marked down."

made me smile.

hedgren
Aug. 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
So, figures the one day SJ is on a channel I get, I am riding. I thought I would be home in time, but no such luck.

Anyway. My boyfriend watched and I asked him what he thought of it. this is his reply:

"it was pretty amazing. i still don't know how they get those horses to do that. the obstacle is purposely set up to confuse the horse. trying to make optical illusions with the water and brightly painted fences. it's nuts"

Me (sarcasticly) "Boyfriend, so you think they are playing Jedi mind tricks on the horses?"

Boyfriend: " Yes yes. that is exactly whats going on. the poor horses dont even know it"

ROTFL
speaking of Jedi Mind tricks...my boyfirend (a big star wars fan) was watching me compete and just as I was about to go in he called out "may the horse be with you" - cute... :)

swgarasu
Aug. 21, 2008, 11:59 AM
speaking of Jedi Mind tricks...my boyfirend (a big star wars fan) was watching me compete and just as I was about to go in he called out "may the horse be with you" - cute... :)

LOL... I like that. :)

*jumper*
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:30 PM

http://www.nbcolympics.com/modernpentathlon/photos/galleryid=243245.html

:eek: Funny how half those pictures are of crashes...

HOLYYY I just realized there are a few gory pictures in there...don't look if you're squeamish!

shmeg<33
Aug. 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm at home watching the Olympic Showjumping Individual.
My non-horsey dad is at the doctor, checking the current results every few minutes on his phone.

He texts me...

Dad- I see Clay is in a tie for 1st.

Me- Who the heck is Clay?

Dad- You know, the really good guy rider from the U.S.

Me- ...there is no Clay, dad.

Dad- Wow. For once I know more about riding than you do!! How disappointing, Meg. All these years we pay so much for your riding career and you don't even know the names of the Olympic riders for the U.S? I'm shocked.

Me- You mean Mclain? Mclain Ward, dad.

Dad- Oh.

He's so cool. :cool:

Pixie Dust
Aug. 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
One of my coworkers asked me why they all had their manes shaved. I said they were braided, not shaved. She didn't believe me. "oh no, they were all shaved ... I hope that grows back!!"

During triple crown season, one of my coworkers thought he was being BRILLIANT and said that the horses should wear breath right nasal strips. I completely ruined his fun when I said "um, actually they do have nasal strips." Once again, didn't believe me.

xabbracadabra
Aug. 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/modernpentathlon/photos/galleryid=243245.html

:eek: Funny how half those pictures are of crashes...

HOLYYY I just realized there are a few gory pictures in there...don't look if you're squeamish!

Thats shameful...those poor horses have to suffer through those riders over fences those size. Maybe they should lower the height at least or take the horses out of it totally...they don't deserve to be treated like that.

Or wait, maybe they should acutally be required to take actual riding lessons all the time and learn how to ride