willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:59 AM
WOW

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Has to change my sig line LOL

Jealoushe
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Let's go, show em what the dirty north is made of!!!!!!!

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
GO SAPPHIRE... I do love her

BAC
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
Are all team members jumping off or just one from each? Sorry but I can't watch live so have no way of knowing what is going on. Thanks.

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
We all ride..our disadvantage is we only have 3 riders/....

SAPPHIRE CLEAR

Dorienna
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
sapphire goes clean

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
[crap] rail for Jill

Dorienna
special ed 4 faults

willowoodstables
ED/JILL= 4 FAULTS

GreystoneKC
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
OMG Sapphire!

I hope everyone moves over to this thread lol

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
OMG Sapphire!

I hope everyone moves over to this thread lol

Me too...Cedric looks good

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
Cedric CLEAR...omg omg omg

BLBGP
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:11 AM
We have to manage two threads now?! Just watching is stressful enough!

willowoodstables
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:11 AM
GO HICKSTEAD

ika
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
Ahhh I just started watching everything from the beginning! I still want to know what happens though.. keep the info coming!

willowoodstables
WOOT WOOT HICKSTEAD CLEAR AND FAST

00Jumper
OH YEAH CEDRIC!!! COME ON WILL AND BEEZIE!!!

Jazzy Lady
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:13 AM
Holy... Eric was blazing fast.

Jealoushe
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
Eric Rules WHOOOOOOOOT

GreystoneKC
Hickstead clean and FAST!!!! Holy cow!!!! Stunning! C'MON WILL!!!!

willowoodstables
YAH USA WINS THE GOLD...CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorienna
us gold, canada silver

Jazzy Lady
Oh poo... Congrats to the US!!!

Congrats to Canada with silver!!!! Still crazy amazing!!!!

Reds-n-Greys
Hi Sorry - late to the party....GO!! USA!!

how high are the jumps for the jump off??

GreystoneKC
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
USA WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santpoort
Wow Will! He did it!

00Jumper
US WINS GOLD US WINS GOLD OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

mtaylormusic
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Oh poo... Congrats to the US!!!

Congrats to Canada with silver!!!! Still crazy amazing!!!!

Did Will go clean?

3Dogs
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
unfrigging beautiful performances - all of them, but Hickstead and Eric - what speed AND beautiful jumping!
Go Sapphire and Cedric and now WILL - what a ride!

Jazzy Lady
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
yes

akrogirl
Wow Will! He did it!

I am so happy for him - I'm glad he didn't have to be the drop score.

willowoodstables
Ya know...we were amazing with just three riders...what a perforamce..and USA?? well what a team..with Sapphire, Carlson, Authentic, Cedric being amazing..and of course HICKSTEAD for Horse of the YEAR!!!!

Janie
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
Great work USA, you too Canada!

Looking forward to the indiv comp now!

Night!

vxf111
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:19 AM
How terrific for team USA and also for Canada! What a proud moment!!! :) Is this Canada's first medal of the games?!

That Sapphire, she is really special. Like "Gem Twist" special. What a team the US was able to field this year!

akrogirl
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
After all the doubts and questions during the selection process, things sure worked out for the best, lol.

akrogirl
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
Nice to hear Will giving so much credit to his horse :-)

Jealoushe
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
How terrific for team USA and also for Canada! What a proud moment!!! :) Is this Canada's first medal of the games?!

No we are up to 9 now!

Leena
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
I am so happy for Canada silver !!!!!

Congrats to the Canadian team ! Well done !

copper1
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yea for the USA! Congrats to Canada and thanksfor the wonderful jump off!

00Jumper
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
Congrats to US for gold, Canada for their hard-fought silver and Norway for the bronze! It was a hugely exciting competition and I am SO HAPPY for everyone! What a great team finale!!

sisu27
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
Ya know...we were amazing with just three riders...what a perforamce..and USA?? well what a team..with Sapphire, Carlson, Authentic, Cedric being amazing..and of course HICKSTEAD for Horse of the YEAR!!!!

Yes! Given the circumstances we were AWESOME!!

No shame in losing to that bunch either.

Congrats to all.

The individual competition is going to be FIERCE!!

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! USA! USA! USA!

Pokey
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
after watching McClain go - I said to myself - wow - good pick for the team. He's been rock solid in team (like Beezie in Athens).

I am so crazy happy for them, damn it - it made me cry for godsakes! I am thrilled that North America took gold and silver.

Way to go Will - what a phenomenal ride. All of them really, just amazingly solid. GO USA!

NoGreatMischief
So proud of Canada right now! Whooooooo! Silver!!!!

And congrats to the USA of course, what a close race! :D

Melzy
GOLD BABY GOLD! CONGRATULATIONS to Beezie, Laura, McLain and Will!!! Thanks for all the thrill rides!!! Congratulations to Team Canada too! WOW Can you tell I'm excited for everybody? LOL

KSevnter
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
Is this Ian Miller's first olympic medal? If so, he deserves it after all this time. Such an amazing horseman and human being.

vxf111
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
Didn't mean to diss Canada by asking about their medals. I've ONLY been watching equestrian (and of course being bombarded with Michael Phelps) so I don't know how any of the other events are going. What an awesome day for both team USA and Canada. What a tremendous showing from the horses and what great sports all of the riders are!

Pokey
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
See, this is when COTH is so great...I'm just beside myself with how the USA rode, so happy for Canada. And I emailed my husband at work - and he pretty much thinks I'm crazy for being so worked up about all this. :0

boosma47
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
WOW! It's been a long time coming, for US and CA. Way to go! And, Norway, too.

Chalk up another milestone for GM - may he endure forever!

Mozart
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
This is a very big deal for Canada. I am babbling to all my colleagues.

Michel Vaillancourt won an Individual Silver in Show Jumping on Branch County in 1976 and the Dressage Team won team bronze in 1988.

I don't think there have been any others.

So a very big deal indeed!

All fingers and toes crossed for Eric and Hickstead for the individual.

Whasthehubbubbub
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
I love McClain and Sapphire so much, but i was so disappointed that he did not wear the flag "sticker" on his helmet, nor did he have his hand on his chest during the national anthem...Will did. What's going on McClain, please...please I hope that was an oversight.

BCEVENTER
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Is this Ian Miller's first olympic medal? If so, he deserves it after all this time. Such an amazing horseman and human being.

:yes: Yep, Ian's first medal at the olympics after 9 years. TOTALLY deserved it!!

DMK
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:29 PM
nor did he have his hand on his chest during the national anthem...

eh, that goes 50-50 in just about any sporting event and about half the time I am at an event and the anthem plays, I'll look around and be in the minority with my hand on my heart. I wouldn't make too much of it unless maybe he whips out the black panther fist salute at teh ind medal ceremony. ;) Then hysteria can reign once again. :D :lol:

I wondered about the flag but then again I think we should have the big flag motif sticker on the GPA speed airs like Norway and Germany. Maybe he is just a purist, because every time I bring that opinion up all the die hard traditionalists have a cow at the thought of competing in anything other than a traditional black helmet. Maybe McLain is one of those? :D

Wanderluster
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:31 PM
I didn't know that I could get goosebumps and tears at the same time. What an incredible finish.

Madeline
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
I wondered about the flag but then again I think we should have the big flag motif sticker on the GPA speed airs like Norway and Germany. Maybe he is just a purist, because every time I bring that opinion up all the die hard traditionalists have a cow at the thought of competing in anything other than a traditional black helmet. Maybe McLain is one of those? :D

Maybe, just maybe, he has sponsorship from a different helmet company.

magnolia73
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he has sponsorship from a different helmet company.

I did not like the sponsor patches on some of the team's jackets. Perhaps for regular competition, but at the Olympics- please. It looked the worse on the dressage shadbellies. All elegant with a big honkin Pikeur logo....

caffeinated
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
I love McClain and Sapphire so much, but i was so disappointed that he did not wear the flag "sticker" on his helmet, nor did he have his hand on his chest during the national anthem...Will did. What's going on McClain, please...please I hope that was an oversight.

Clearly, he hates America.

BAC
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
:yes: Yep, Ian's first medal at the olympics after 9 years. TOTALLY deserved it!!

Wow, I didn't realize that, he definitely deserves it, I am very happy for him.

DMK
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:45 PM
sponsorhip could be the issue, but it looked like everyone was in a GPA, but who knows?

Mags, I agree - I thought the dressage coats for Germany were um, a bit over the top, like maybe you might have to work harder to keep your left side up and even it was so weighted down from sponsorship patches!

Pokey
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:51 PM
I am immensely proud of the US and Canada for winning gold and silver. And it was so much fun to watch Beezie and Laura Kraut's response to winning, giddy and crying on the podium, and Will's ecstatic face. I'm sure McClain is pleased - he just doesn't seem to show his emotion about it outwardly. Consummate professional, and maybe figures that games are not over yet.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:56 PM
YAY!!!!! Go Team USA!!! I have to say, after eventing and dressage, I a SO thrilled about this medal. Well, eventing was fine, but dressage is not going as planned so far. :lol:

Congratualtions to CANADA!!!!! WAAAHOOOO!!!

akrogirl
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

I thought I saw Laura give Will a nudge before he put his hand on his chest ;-) Not sure why McLain wouldn't have the helmet sticker though.

DMK
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
I thought I saw Laura give Will a nudge before he put his hand on his chest ;-)

I saw the same thing - clearly Beezie dropped the ball on her side. You have to leave it to the women to make sure the men are presentable in public, right? :D

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
Whoo-hooo!!!! What a finish! Congratulations to the US and to Canada.

Maybe this one might actually make main NBC channels with the exciting jumpoff and with USA winning? I really think that the average John Q. Public sitting at home would LOVE watching a victory gallop. No other Olympic sport gets to do a victory gallop.

Tackpud
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:22 PM
OMG!!!!!! Just got in from a faculty meeting and this is awesome!! Go USA! I'm so happy Beezie and McLain got their team medals on the podium this time. What a thrill!

Tiramit
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
What an amazing team competition!!!!! Team USA really came through - 3 clears in the jump off!!! It was a nail biter and the medals for both teams were richly deserved. Congrats to McLain, Laura, Will and Beezie! And congrats to Team Canada who surely gave us a run for our money!! :D

And lest we forget, congrats to the man himself, George Morris, for expertly guiding this team to
victory!

It was wonderful to watch today - McLain and Beezie, the polished professionals, Laura the proud of her pony rider (her face after going clear the first time was priceless!) and Will who looked as happy as a school boy.

Bring on the individual competition!

monalisa
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
Someone told me this would be on Oxygen tonight from 6 to 8 pm.

lonewolf
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
Proud and excited Canadian here. I am so happy!

And of course no shame in coming in second to the great US riders. Especially with no drop score.

Happy happy happy.

ponyjumper4
Aug. 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
after watching McClain go - I said to myself - wow - good pick for the team. He's been rock solid in team (like Beezie in Athens).

He and Sapphire were just as solid in Athens. If it wasn't for his brilliant idea to jump scenery to shave seconds (which Kappler also did), we wouldn't have had silver in the jump off (which of course turned to gold when Ludger's horse was disqualified)

sisu27
Proud and excited Canadian here. I am so happy!

And of course no shame in coming in second to the great US riders. Especially with no drop score.

Happy happy happy.

Me too but is anyone else sad that Ian didn't get to have this experience with Ben? I love In Style but Ben was so special and it was the one thing they didn't get. I guess Lyn and Ben were up there watching and cheering him on though.

Cinnybren
WooHoo Team USA!! And a second WooHoo for Team Cananda!!!! Terrrific finish! Truthfully, I love watching all the riders at this level, no matter what country, for the most part they and their horses are all absolutely amazing!!

Pokey
Aug. 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
"He and Sapphire were just as solid in Athens."

No harm meant. See - I didn't know that about any of the rides in Athens, because I wasn't able to watch last time, nor was I aware of COTH. But now, with live feed, I get to see everything! And I am very partial to John and Beezie anyway...so always give them extra credit regardless :)

EMWalker
Aug. 18, 2008, 02:28 PM
Team USA just got a huge shout out on ESPN!!! They announced the team winning gold and they said all the names of the horses. Pretty cool!

retreadeventer
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
A North American one-two, how often does THAT happen!?
Awesome we won gold, just AWESOME. That is such a great thing for ALL horse sports in the US, you can't imagine! A rising tide lifts all boats.

TraksRuleDutchDrool
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:10 PM
Me too but is anyone else sad that Ian didn't get to have this experience with Ben? I love In Style but Ben was so special and it was the one thing they didn't get. I guess Lyn and Ben were up there watching and cheering him on though.

That was very touching :yes: I think you're right!

Fairview Horse Center
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:24 PM
nor did he have his hand on his chest during the national anthem...Will did.

Just to clarify, when I was growing up, we were taught that you were not supposed to put your hand on your heart for the National Anthem, ONLY for the The Pledge of Allegiance. We were taught it was NOT correct to place your hand over your heart during the Anthem. Not sure when that changed, but my guess is that many people, like myself do not because we feel it is something ONLY done for the Pledge of Allegiance. We were taught to stand quietly, with our arms straight down at our sides.

RainyDayRide
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
Just to clarify, when I was growing up, we were taught that you were not supposed to put your hand on your heart for the National Anthem, ONLY for the The Pledge of Allegiance. We were taught it was NOT correct to place your hand over your heart during the Anthem. Not sure when that changed, but my guess is that many people, like myself do not because we feel it is something ONLY done for the Pledge of Allegiance.

me too ... the bit about putting your hand on your heart for the anthem began about the same time the requirement to "put a flag pin in your lapel or you're not patriotic" began.

Fairview Horse Center
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:37 PM
me too ... the bit about putting your hand on your heart for the anthem began about the same time the requirement to "put a flag pin in your lapel or you're not patriotic" began.

My feelings are that so many people didn't know what was the right way to stand, and put their hand on their heart, that it THEN became the custom to go ahead and do that. I personally would have a hard time placing my hand on my heart now for the Anthem, because everything tells me that is totally wrong, and I have been around too many people that have said, they just do that because they don't know what is correct. They don't know any better.

I am sure I will continue to stand quietly facing the flag, with my arms straight down until the day I die. That is what I was taught, and just can't get my head around to change to be "in vogue".

The Pledge of Allegiance to me is special, and deserves special tratment.

luv2jump
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
Ian's trip did it for me - I think he deserves it more than anyone - what a great guy!!! I loved to watch his reaction when he saw he was clean. An oldie but a goodie! I have watched him for years and am so glad he has finally gotten a medal!!!
Luv2Jump

EquineLVR
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
I am so BUMMED I missed it!! BUT WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO team USA and Canada!!! I am so excited to watch the re-run tonight!!

forward ride
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
yay!!! how awesome!

i swear, i am in awe of Sapphire and McLain every time I see them go. just so amazing.

congrats to Captain Canada too....that was a long time coming. :)

i hope my tivo works so I can watch when I get home... :)

aside--how did Ian not win a gold (or any medal at all) with Ben?? did they skip the Olympics or something?

dressagetraks
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm sure others will have far more information, but I do remember watching Ben and Ian in 1992 - when they had the special cable channels you could subscribe to for all sorts of equestrian coverage.

IIRC, In one of the rounds, not sure which but don't think it was team, some individual qualifier, maybe, Ben whacked himself badly, I believe behind, and was limping for a few strides after that - not 3-legged catastrophic, but definitely was off, like he stung himself badly. Ian pulled him up after that and withdrew.

Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody, but I'm pretty sure that was Ian and Ben. I remember thinking what a classy move that was and showing concern and respect for his horse.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
Canada sent a team to Helsinki in l952. In l968 in Mexico Canada won Gold with Jim Day, Jim Elder and Tom Gayford.

In l976 in Montreal Michael Vaillancourt won ind. silver on Branch County.

In the LA Olympics in l932 they did not award team medals because no teams made it through the course. (Saw that on CBC's site.)

Giddy-up
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:31 PM

Actually 9 Olympics would be more like 36 years give or take. ;)

Way to go Ian--he posed for a picture at Spruce this summer with us crazy USA girls & couldn't have been nicer about it. :D
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/ars0525/2008%20Spruce%20Meadows/2008SpruceMeadows040.jpg

And YAY for Team USA!!!! :cool:

AHorseSomeDay
Aug. 18, 2008, 06:51 PM
:D Great news! Yay for Canada and USA!!!

What happened to Mac Cone's horse? How did the horse get hurt?