PDA

View Full Version : No Jumbotron for Showjumping?!?

Tiligsmom
Aug. 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
Did you notice that the jumbotron was not active for the Show Jumping? Wondering why they get a break and the Eventers and Dressagers didn't...:confused:

BTW...I think they should have shut the $#%! thing off for all equestrian sports:mad:

2 tbs
Aug. 16, 2008, 12:39 AM
The big screen wasn't in the ring for the stadium portion of the eventing either (at least I don't believe it was).

Difference is, Dressage is in one small area of a very large arena. Horse and rider are also performing very technical moves therefore nerly impossible to see from majority of the seats.

Show jumping has big colorful jumps all over the ring. You don't need to see a horse knock a rail down as you will most likely hear it.

I think it's great they offered a super large screen. Maybe not the best placement but at least they tried to give those spectating a chance to see the test being performed a great distance away from them.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 16, 2008, 01:40 AM
Well 2tbs.... I gotta give you credit for creativity, but the logic doesn't hold up. The Jumbotron was on for the showjumping portion of eventing.....

Fixerupper
Aug. 17, 2008, 02:31 AM
I'm betting it's because the jumpers had more time and leverage to argue the point. The positioning is really is not horse friendly, and the only really big boo boo we've seen at this venue (bet it cost a bundle too!)

2 tbs
Aug. 17, 2008, 02:00 PM
Creative thinking or not on my part, I'm indifferent to it's presence. This is the Olympics. It might not be ideal and I agree there may be better options for location but I have yet to see a horse have a melt down over it. If there were any - they probably weren't top contenders anyway.

My horse has put up with a serious circus going on around him at the racetrack, the hunter ring, and local fair (very non horse savvy people as well as various livestock and carnival rides). I'm a totally ammy rider and we handle it just fine. Given time to practice in the ring with that big screen (as these riders were) I'm sure he'd be fine there too.

I still belive the Show Jumping course is bigger and uses more space than the Eventing Stadium portion therefore the screen is not needed. I'm unaware of the screen being on for the Eventing Stadium but again, if it was, the horses seemed to handle it fine.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 17, 2008, 02:32 PM
My horse has put up with a serious circus going on around him at the racetrack, the hunter ring, and local fair (very non horse savvy people as well as various livestock and carnival rides). I'm a totally ammy rider and we handle it just fine. Given time to practice in the ring with that big screen (as these riders were) I'm sure he'd be fine there too.

Perhaps if Isabelle Werth rode as well as you she would not have a problem with it. :rolleyes:

slc2
Aug. 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
LOL. Sorry, your carnival rides are nothing compared to what those horses and riders usually have to contend with. And I doubt your horses are as fit as racehorses and on 20 lbs of grain a day, either. It's a slightly different animal.

I think it was off because everyone who had to ride with it on raised holy hell, that's why I think it was off.

Even if no one said a word, any fool could see it created a condition completely unlike any other competition venue. But people DID object, alot, very publicly, and they are far better riders than any of you all, and far more experienced riding in big stadiums and under very adverse conditions, so don't go comparing your ride on Old Sugar at the County Fair to them.

I think it clearly ruined quite a few dressage tests and it was a stupid thing to have there, not one other competition in the world has a big screen like that THAT close to the horses. It's absurd to have totally unfamiliar conditions at the olympics just because someone wants to make the sport more of a circus spectacle.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
:lol: SLC and Yankee Lawyer - you guys crack me up! Couldn't agree with you more.

Once they made the decision to keep the #$%& thing on for Eventing, I figured they would keep it on for dressage and showjumping as well. Give everyone the same disadvantage :(. But....show jumpers seem to be the only group who have the luxury of a quiet Jumbotron. Very odd.

2 tbs
Aug. 17, 2008, 04:51 PM
My point was, if my horse and I can put up with crazy stuff at our little level then the international horses that fly on airplanes all over the place should be able to put up with the screen after a little practice which they most certainly had. It's called perspective people - get some.:cool:

And PUHLEEZ! YL!!! That screen was BEHIND Isabelle when her horse did his "routine" in the GPS the other day. The spookiness she dealt with in practice was unfortunate but obviously it has had no effect on her now has it? Especially considering she's sitting in 1st place with a 75 regardless of the disobediance by her horse :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funniest thing about this is you guys want to blame the screen for causing havoc for many riders yet when Brentina was said to be spooking no one can find anything in the ring to spook her. Amazing. :no:

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
I will say that if I were a contender for the gold medal and had busted my butt my whole life to get to the Olympics, and managed to get through all the hoops to get there, I would not hesitate to ask that something like the jumbotron be removed if I thought it was going to pose a problem. I would follow the rules and go through whatever procedures are in place to express a grievance about the show conditions, but I would not be dumb enough to pretend to be stoic about something if it bothered me.

And I disagree that it had nothing to do with Satchmo's spook. He had spooked at it before in practice and was clearly not happy with it. Whether he was actually facing it at the precise moment he spooked -- if in fact that is what had him on edge to begin with -- is irrelevant.

Besides, the jumbotron is TACKY. Can't anyone watch a sporting event any more without it being like a rock concert? I can remember going to the US Open and people would have a cow if you dared even whisper anything during a match because doing so might disturb the players. Now apparently the other extreme is de rigeur.

As for Brentina, I never said anything about her spooking one way or the other. I stayed away from the Brentina thread as it pained me to read some of the arrogant quarterbacking on that thread from people who have zero experience with that level of competition.

2 tbs
Aug. 17, 2008, 09:16 PM
Like I said earlier, I don't disagree that there could be better placement for it and I also agree that it may not really be necessary. However, we need to think outside the box. Animals are a tricky factor in this sport. All the other events at the olympics involve humans and inanimate objects. Although a rider may say they've worked their tail off to get there and only want a fair shot at a chance for a medal, the people in charge probably view that as whining.

When building these facilities and creating the billboards and jumbotrons I'm sure they do so with more consideration to the spector than the anthlete. People can just as easily be distracted by all the electronic hoopla as a horse. In fact, there were strict guidelines in the diving: "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" yet when the tv camera panned back to show the crowd all you saw were camera flashes.

That's just how it goes. At this level of competition the athletes have to find a way through adversity. If the jumbotron was on for one part of equestrian then it should be on for the others but apparently it's not. Why it's like that is anyone's guess unless there is a report on it somewhere.

I don't mean to pissy about this but seriously, these are the top riders and horses in the world. They have to be able to find a way through it without making excuses. Maybe the riders did come together and managed to get them to turn off the screen. I have to think that's not the case because the riders in the individual dressage had more time than the eventers to lobby against the screen yet they continue to have it in for their tests.

Phyxius
Aug. 17, 2008, 10:27 PM
2tbs, I'm with you totally. There are riders there who said they have no problem with the screen or with getting past any problems with the screen.

If you watched the stadium rounds of the eventers you would have noticed that not only was the screen playing with the horses heading towards it before turning down a combination...there was also a HUGE mechanical gate that swung up whenever a horse was at that part of the course. I would have been more pissed about the gate than about the screen unless they also schooled with the gate lifting.

2 tbs
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:33 AM
If you watched the stadium rounds of the eventers you would have noticed that not only was the screen playing with the horses heading towards it before turning down a combination...there was also a HUGE mechanical gate that swung up whenever a horse was at that part of the course. I would have been more pissed about the gate than about the screen unless they also schooled with the gate lifting.

I haven't been able to sit and watch much and the only part I caught online was the cross country. However I did notice that gate in the stadium and wondered what on earth that thing was doing :uhoh:

Seems the horses "tripped" the gate as they rode past. To me that would be worse than a screen. Again though, something horses at this level are probably used to. Me? I'd be waiting for my horse to lose his mind or simply exit stage left :lol:

Catsdorule-sigh
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
A couple points about the Jumbotron:

The FEI needs to have someone with the authority at these venues to take care of such matters, perhaps backed by some FEI requirements. Where to place the big video monitors can't be left to the inspirations of the stadium builders. Ditto the gate. Someone needs to be there to instruct non-horse types how to go about building an equestrian stadium.

Having the monitor down at arena level is absurd. The people who need it the most are still far away from it, in the upper tier seats. Two to four monitors, depending on the seating, at THEIR eye level, not the horses.

I disagree that the monitor would not have an effect when it's behind the horse- horses see far more behind them than we can, due to the placement of their eyes. In fact, having it behind them showing motion might be worse.

Who knows how horse vision really sees a monitor? Anyone remember how you always saw a flicker on the screen when anyone shot footage of a film being shown on TV? You didn't see it until it was taped from a monitor view. We don't know how video appears to horses. I was appalled to see a jump that looked (caveat, poor video I was watching) like the top part was painted a medium to dark blue. On a gray scale, that could so blend into another color of the same saturation that if there isn't a clear distinction in line of sight of the jump, it should be considered a hazard. (If horses are truly color blind)

Now that the problem has been presented, it's up to the governing authorities to rectify it so it is not an issue. It's placement could be considered a safety hazard.

I am not saying that horses don't have to get used to stuff and there is always stuff you can't control. But what you can, should be dealt with and the jumbotron, from a horse and viewers standpoint, didn't belong at arena level. If you are already sitting that far away from the action, looking UP or OVER across the stadium to the other side is not going to detract from your experience any more than watching the jumbotron at one end while horse and rider are at the other. For most spectators, the view is going to be closer and at a better angle.

A little thought ought to prevail but often, sadly, does not. As a kid I was in a Western Pleasure class when one of the rodeo bulls jumped the fence into the ring. Fortunately, most of us were pulled out to the middle and only the few left who could ribbon were still going around the ring- situation could have been a lot worse. Then two cowboys chased the bull around the ring with all the kids still in it until the bull crashed through the fence this time and high tailed out of there. Upshot was- bulls should not have been in a paddock next to the side arena we were using. We also should have been in the main arena which was away from where the rodeo and circus livestock were kept. I know of no way to get a horse used to seal water that the circus just dumped over the fence next to one of the trail obstacles.....

To me, the jumbotron seemed more like showing off than doing the spectators any service.

2 tbs
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
I disagree that the monitor would not have an effect when it's behind the horse- horses see far more behind them than we can, due to the placement of their eyes. In fact, having it behind them showing motion might be worse.

Well, I'll give you that. I wasn't thinking specifically about the way the horses see so sure, behind them could be worse.

However, that makes the comment about Isabell even that much more off base because 1. her horse didn't spook and 2. he ran backwards AT the monitor so if he caught the motion in his eye from behind he should've run AWAY from it which would've actually been a forward movement.

I'm not arguing that it was probably a bad idea but complaining about what events it's on for and what events it's not on for is sorta silly. Many of the riders have said the jumbotron wasn't an issue and those are the riders having to ride with it on. Why it's not on for the Show Jumping portion of the equestrian events but was on for the Eventing and Dressage is unknown at this point. However, different horses different riders. It is what it is so there you have it. It was on for ALL of eventing and ALL of dressage - not just some riders therefore it was fair enough.

**Note I didn't say anything about it being right.

Fixerupper
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
Jumbotron was back on for the jumpers - guess they just had to recharge the batteries :lol:
As for Satchmo..to me it looked more like he got his tongue over or between the bits, or even bit his tongue than it did a spook or disobedience.

2 tbs
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:12 PM
Jumbotron was back on for the jumpers - guess they just had to recharge the batteries :lol:
As for Satchmo..to me it looked more like he got his tongue over or between the bits, or even bit his tongue than it did a spook or disobedience.

Ah see. All should be right with the world now :uhoh::cool: Screens for equestrians all around!

I haven't gotten to watch the jumping yet-will as soon as I shower though! Sounds like it was a rough day out there for some. Hope everyone is well after a good nights rest.:)