PDA

View Full Version : Why only three team members in dressage?

fordtraktor
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:24 AM
Why are there only three dressage team members? All the other horse sports have a drop score, and I thought I remembered dressage having the same in previous Olympics (but I could be wrong). Why not four, with three counting for medals?

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:27 AM
Why are there only three dressage team members? All the other horse sports have a drop score, and I thought I remembered dressage having the same in previous Olympics (but I could be wrong). Why not four, with three counting for medals?

$$$$ ????

Foxtrot's
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
To enable more countries to enter.

poltroon
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
I thought you were always allowed to field only 3 if you wanted.

BAC
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:58 PM
You used to be allowed to field a team of 4 but could only send 3 if that is all you had or could afford. Some countries just don't have 4 qualified riders. But at least you had the option to send 4, that way if one went lame or had a poor performance it didn't automatically knock you out of medal contention.

Kimberlee
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:24 PM
They had five per team for the eventing teams, right?

Tootsie
Aug. 15, 2008, 05:46 AM
I think it might have a lot to do with time as well. The eventers have more because their horses were a bit lighter and were able to compete the two days of dressage in the morning as well. But the dressage horses being bigger heavier horses have to compete at night under lights. I cant imagine those horses doing that type of work at 11am in the morning here like the eventers did. The eventer also had a shorted dressage test (only 4 and a half minutes) in order to get through their rides.

Ajierene
Aug. 15, 2008, 08:54 AM
I saw some of the comments on the video feed. Imtiaz mentioned that only three are allowed to compete, but you are allowed a traveling reserve. So while you cannot have a drop score, you can have 4 go to Hong Kong.

It makes sense to do it this way for dressage because the chance of being eliminated during the test is slim. If you were only allowed to compete the 'reserve' event horses if someone else could not continue, you would be out of luck for the team if someone was eliminated in cross country or stadium, or spun. Allowing extra competitors to compete in Eventing alleviates the issue of having three compete, then one out and suddenly you don't have a team.

ise@ssl
Aug. 15, 2008, 09:14 AM
It's ridiculous that this changes all the time. For the Sydney Olympics the Team was 4 with one alternate and the USA shipped Kathleen Raine's horse all the way to Sydney as the alternate and never read the FINE PRINT. The Alternate horse had to be a horse ridden by one of the 4 selected Team members. So even if they had to pull one of the 4 horses on the team they couldn't have had Kathleen ride. Amazing that we have people PAID on staff at the USET that could make not only a costly mistake but one that could have affected the Team if on of the top 4 horses couldn't go. Talk about idiocy.

Who knows what the process will be for London in 4 years.

petitefilly
Aug. 15, 2008, 10:55 AM

One, one minute ride! Winner takes all.

$$$$ rules, and equestrian is a sport that takes more Earth than other sports and the powers that be would ideally get rid of the equestrian sports to save coinage. In Britain no such thing would be thought of, but in China they really did NOT want the equestrian in the Oympics. Why do you think they were put in Hong Kong? You can give all the reasoning you want, but it comes down to no golf course was available in Beijing.

:):):):):)

Stubborn Mare
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
I heard one of the BBC commentators mention that elimiating the possibility of a drop score means a more level playing field. In other words, a country like Germany, with an ability to easily field four high-scoring pairs, wouldn't necessarily have the competetive advantage over a less dressage-friendly country with only a couple of good horses/riders. In HK, at least every score counts and each rider feels equal pressure to perform to the maximum. Does that make sense?

Tiki
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:39 PM
Speaking of our wonderful NGB
For the Sydney Olympics the Team was 4 with one alternate and the USA shipped Kathleen Raine's horse all the way to Sydney as the alternate and never read the FINE PRINT.why oh why didn't they learn from this? There's the issue this year with Phillip Duttons 700 gram boots. Poor Phillip didn't know. The Coach didn't know. The NGB didn't know. Doesn't anyone take any responsibility for anything in this country anymore? BTW, a whole bunch of people on the eventing board weighed their boots and none of them came close to 700 grams - they were all around 200 - 250 grams. What's up with the 700 gram boots than NO ONE knew were illegal?????

FEI_JR2004
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
The reasoning for only having three is that then more countries could compete, such as Brazil, leaving the same number of total horses.

And petitefilly -- the reason it was all in Hong Kong rather than Beijing was because of quarantine concerns, which were very valid concerns for the safety and welfare of the horses. Many nations won't allow in horses that had been on the mainland of China, and many others require long term quarantine. Participation in the games would have been virtually nil if they would have been held in Beijing rather than Hong Kong. Would you want to take your Olympic-quality horse and end up having to leave it in China after the games because of diseases or quarantine issues?

freestyle2music
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's ridiculous that this changes all the time. For the Sydney Olympics the Team was 4 with one alternate and the USA shipped Kathleen Raine's horse all the way to Sydney as the alternate and never read the FINE PRINT. The Alternate horse had to be a horse ridden by one of the 4 selected Team members. So even if they had to pull one of the 4 horses on the team they couldn't have had Kathleen ride. Amazing that we have people PAID on staff at the USET that could make not only a costly mistake but one that could have affected the Team if on of the top 4 horses couldn't go. Talk about idiocy.

You are so right. Kathleen went al the way to Sydney (many weeks in quarantaine etc) to find out that the USDF/USET (whatever) didn't read the rules. Hubertus Schmidt was DQ'ed because he didn't know the new rule that it was forbidden to take a whip into the arena. An eventing rider got DQ 'ed because his boots were to heavy. And most of the national coaches in Hongkong didn't know that they can use their reserve rider 2 minutes before 12. Rules are changing every day, but it's the responsibilty of the governing bodies to keep the riders informed, and in case of the Olympics this shouldn't be so difficult.

Theo

poltroon
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Speaking of our wonderful NGB why oh why didn't they learn from this? There's the issue this year with Phillip Duttons 700 gram boots. Poor Phillip didn't know. The Coach didn't know. The NGB didn't know. Doesn't anyone take any responsibility for anything in this country anymore? BTW, a whole bunch of people on the eventing board weighed their boots and none of them came close to 700 grams - they were all around 200 - 250 grams. What's up with the 700 gram boots than NO ONE knew were illegal?????

If you read the thread in the eventing forum, you'll see that even among the TDs they're not clear that the rule is in effect for eventing based on reading the FEI notices.