PDA

View Full Version : Equestrian is the Laughing Stock @ NBC

MFP
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:26 PM
OK... Not to throw anyone under the bus, but a good friend of mine husband is one of the highest ranking decision makers at NBC's Olympic Production (He is a really great guy and I would hate to make his name public). I had dinner with this them right before he left for China... and I asked him why NBC never covers Equestrian Events. He started Laughing. He mentioned that Equestrian is the 'joke' at NBC... Any time they are looking to fill a spot with coverage someone states "lets put on equestrian" (sarcastically) and everyone in the room laughs. He said that Judo is also the other running joke at NBC as well.

He also mentioned that no one at NBC really knows anything about equestrian, and they also get the most request for our sport. FYI, NBC is not in Hong Kong covering equestrian... they contracted it out.

Personally, I am happy that we have the live feed... that is a good start. Too bad Animal Planet or Outdoor Sports Network can't step in and purchase the rights to the equestrian. I have no idea how that stuff works...

-MFP

ponyjumper4
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
did you really expect differently?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:31 PM
They laugh because they are ignorant! I've heard it say like this: They don't know no better.

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
and they also get the most request for our sport.

Shouldn't that tell them something?????!!

Wellspotted
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
OK, once these Olympics are over, let's ALL sit down and write letters to Bob Costas and the other NBC Olympics people.

I mean ALL. OF. US. All horse fans. Anyone who wants to see more equestrian coverage in 2012.

Write intelligent, well-thought-out letters, or send e-mails with links to exciting video clips. Maybe from the BBC and other networks that do cover equestrian sports. After all, if an "ordinary working man" in England can know the names of show jumpers, why can't an ordinary American?

Sell the sport to NBC. Be a REAL supporter. Convince them. Invite them to your barn, to local shows. SHOW them that equestrian competition is exciting. Introduce them to a horse up close--maybe a big 17-hand-plus WB to impress them. If the Clydesdales can sell Bud, can WBs and TBs and DCs (DXs?) and all other horses sell equestrian sports?

Some woman (sorry, don't know her name) brought Bob Costas a scorpion on a stick tonight, and he suggested that tomorrow she cover the traffic in Beijing. Stick Bob on a big-moving dressage horse or face him with a cross country fence and SHOW that it's exciting!

And for the sport's sake, MFP, tell us your friend's name so we can write to him! As he's such a "really great guy," maybe he'll sit up and take notice!

MFP
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
OK, once these Olympics are over, let's ALL sit down and write letters to Bob Costas and the other NBC Olympics people.

I mean ALL. OF. US. All horse fans. Anyone who wants to see more equestrian coverage in 2012.

Write intelligent, well-thought-out letters, or send e-mails with links to exciting video clips. Maybe from the BBC and other networks that do cover equestrian sports. After all, if an "ordinary working man" in England can know the names of show jumpers, why can't an ordinary American?

Sell the sport to NBC. Be a REAL supporter. Convince them.

I am ALL FOR THAT!!! It would be nice to see COTH or the USET develop a 'standard' letter that we can all print, sign and send off... Also, there has to be people from all three disciplines that are willing to work with NBC as 'experts' in our sport so they will have more of a comfort level covering it.

Ajierene
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:43 PM
That doesn't really coincide with the fact that Oxygen has been showing Equestrian sports between 6 and 8 pm - prime time hours.

While 8pm and later are better slots as far as ratings go, 6-8pm are still great slots.

If the Equestrian sports are really the 'laughing stock', why wouldn't they show them at midnight or later.

EDIT: I do think that writing letters thanking for the live feed and mentioning how much we liked the TV coverage would help in getting the Equestrian sports on TV more.

Wellspotted
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:47 PM
OK, well, once these Olympics are over I will do my best to get in touch with the one "big league" barn near me and try to get them interested in working on this with us. I know of a couple of other local barns too and will try to get them in on it as well. We may be the "minors" here where I live, but we are horse people and we all have TVs!

BoyleHeightsKid
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:54 PM
I'm all for writing letters. I think that's a great idea! We would all need to do it though, to get their attention.

Portia
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:55 PM
Equestrian may be the name they use for their jokes, but let's face it -- they feel that way about virtually every other sport outside of gymnastics, swimming, diving, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and athletics (track & field). We've all seen tons of white water rafting, haven't we? And that ten minutes of the women's time trials in cycling that they showed tonight on NBC primetime was really great, given that the gold medalist was an American. :rolleyes: They don't even have correspondents in Beijing for most of the sports -- they're just looking at the feed and commentating from the NBC studios at 30 Rock.

We -- and the fans of all the other marginalized sports -- are getting the live feed, which is great and far more coverage than in the past. That access is only going to be greater in 4 years. And they've been showing far more of the equestrian on Oxygen than they ever have in the past -- they put it on the women's channel and they know that's the audience for it in this country. So I'm happy about that and not going to complain.

They're buying the equestrian feed from the BBC -- you can see the BBC cameramen sometimes -- and what would be really great is if they would just go ahead and use the BBC commentary on the live feed at the same time. So maybe suggestions rather than complaints might be more useful in the long run.

Anne FS
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
It would be nice to see COTH or the USET develop a 'standard' letter that we can all print, sign and send off...

A standard letter is not nearly as effective as individual letters. Getting 1,000 letters that are obviously identical and part of an organization's campaign doesn't have nearly the weight of 1,000 letters that are all obviously individually written.

I agree that kudos for the live feed are definitely in order.

springer
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
America wants T & A. A few letters aren't going to fix it. I wish I could move to Germany!

dwblover
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:45 PM
I agree that we must thank them for the internet coverage. Something is better than nothing. And I also think they do not know just how many fans of dressage and other equestrian sports there are in this country. I think letters would be wonderful, but not angry letters about what they didn't show. They will get thrown in the trash. But letters thanking them for the coverage they had and asking for more. If we all wrote letters they would get an idea of just how many of us there are.

STF
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:51 PM
I say we put the big wigs at NBC on a XC Olympic run and after they pull their sphincter (sp?) muscle out of their throat, then they can laugh about "equestrain"...........

twofatponies
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:51 PM
America wants T & A. A few letters aren't going to fix it. I wish I could move to Germany!

Fine, so put the dressage riders in bikinis! :rolleyes:

LessonLearned
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:52 PM
You know, I have just found the coverage -- 'banished' to a minor cable network -- sad. I realize that this is the most concentrated coverage Equestrian sports have ever have. And I am delighted to not have to be up at 6 a.m. to catch a glimpse of some dressage.

However, I remember being a little kid and watching the primetime Olympic coverage. It was my introduction to eventing and the only time I ever saw anything related to horses (other than racing) on television. For a kid from Philadelphia that was huge.

I imagine many kids are not getting that 'glimpse' this time around. I agree that we NEED to let NBC know that they need to take Equestrian sports seriously!!!!!!

Lost In Space
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
It's great so many of you can get the live feed but for those of us with Mac's we aren't able to. Don't you think someone like NBC could figure out how to make it available for Mac users too. I would love to watch the live feed. I watched the Oxygen channel, I also video taped it, saw only 2 horses go. I might have missed others since I was switching channels. How long was the Equestrian on?

FAW
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm staying up all night for the checkers coverage..lol

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:30 PM
Some woman (sorry, don't know her name) brought Bob Costas a scorpion on a stick tonight, and he suggested that tomorrow she cover the traffic in Beijing.

If you gave me a scorpion on a stick, I'd tell you to go play in traffic too! :eek:

fsf
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
It's great so many of you can get the live feed but for those of us with Mac's we aren't able to. Don't you think someone like NBC could figure out how to make it available for Mac users too. I would love to watch the live feed. I watched the Oxygen channel, I also video taped it, saw only 2 horses go. I might have missed others since I was switching channels. How long was the Equestrian on?

:mad: Equestrian was only on for 30 min., and the only ride they showed in full was Courtney's. Then they switched to gymnastics.

CristyC
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
I get it on my Mac just fine. You do have to have a newer mac with the intel processing chip. Only my laptop has that but it worked out nicely.... I can work on the Big Mac (non Intel desktop) and have the feeds on the mactop. Plus they also have replays... in thier entirety so no 4-5 am's for me! (Mountain Time)

LexInVA
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:40 PM
All you need to access the feeds is Silverlight (the Microsoft equivalent of Adobe Flash video) which runs on the Mac platform though I think it's Intel Mac only which leaves a huge number of Apple customers out since many of their systems are only now reaching the end of life period if they haven't had regular maintenance or refurbishment.

FalseImpression
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
we in Canada cannot fault CBC. Granted they offer Equestrian coverage on their digital channel, but it is very very complete. Live coverage in the morning and rerun at night. We saw all the dressage/XC/SJ twice. We did miss some of the Canadian riders XC, but they did show the problems later on.

To top it all, Bold TV is offered as extra for $2.79/month if you already have a digital box, but when I called to order it and refused the package of 5 extra channels for $10.. they gave it to me free for 3 months!!!! Bold TV only shows equestrian events and sailing! The regular network shows all the other sports (but we did not see much of the cycling events either).

I feel quite privileged this year that I don't have to sit in front of a computer (and the nbc stream does not work in Canada).

So thank you CBC!!

Peggy
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
It's great so many of you can get the live feed but for those of us with Mac's we aren't able to. Don't you think someone like NBC could figure out how to make it available for Mac users too. <snip>?
Think about it. What do the initials MSNBC stand for?

Fixerupper
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:05 AM
Another 'brag' for Canadian tv - CBC affiliate (originally 'Country Canada', now called 'Bold') had full coverage of WEG and is again covering every ride in HK (definitely not Canadian cameras but feed from whomever is doing it). I recommend individual letters/e-mail to whatever channel in the US is covering horse sport (Oxygen?). It is all about viewers so make yourselves heard!

Angela Freda
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
It's great so many of you can get the live feed but for those of us with Mac's we aren't able to. Don't you think someone like NBC could figure out how to make it available for Mac users too.
I begged my husband not to get a Mac.
Just sucks.

Wellspotted
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:17 AM
Springer posted:

Well, that's certainly a winning attitude! (NOT!).

Who said anything about a few letters? I suggested we ALL write. I think there are more than a few of us!

And as for what "America" wants--am I not part of America? I, for one American, don't want "just" T&A (frankly don't care much for T at all). That sort of statement really makes me angry. "America wants [fill in the blank." America is not some huge organism; it is a country made up of individuals with diverse tastes.

Go ahead, move to Germany, if you can get a work permit. It's a nice country, at least what I've seen of it.

Xanthoria
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:30 AM
Just sucks.

you can get it on Macs with Intel - we've been watching along on the Mac Book Pro :)

wildswan
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:36 AM
I may be naive here, but I think the folks at NBC respond to market demand. I'm willing to bet that after these games are over they will analyze the "hits" they received on each of the venues on live streaming. If they see a lot of hits for a particular venue (e.g., equestrian) that translates into a bigger bottom line $ value for producing coverage in that venue. Hits on live streaming is a real indication of how many people care about seeing this sport broadcast (regardless of the medium). I think # of hits on live streaming is going to mean more to them than all the letters we can generate combined. Just because you are an equestrian doesn't mean you watch equestrian events.

Go out there and get all your friends and neighbors to fire up their computers and open up one of the equestrian rewind videos. I don't even care if they watch it, just open it and let it run while they go have a cup of coffee. NBC won't know the difference.

Sabine
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:48 AM
I may be naive here, but I think the folks at NBC respond to market demand. I'm willing to bet that after these games are over they will analyze the "hits" they received on each of the venues on live streaming. If they see a lot of hits for a particular venue (e.g., equestrian) that translates into a bigger bottom line $ value for producing coverage in that venue. Hits on live streaming is a real indication of how many people care about seeing this sport broadcast (regardless of the medium). I think # of hits on live streaming is going to mean more to them than all the letters we can generate combined. Just because you are an equestrian doesn't mean you watch equestrian events.

Go out there and get all your friends and neighbors to fire up their computers and open up one of the equestrian rewind videos. I don't even care if they watch it, just open it and let it run while they go have a cup of coffee. NBC won't know the difference.

You are right on this one for sure. We all do the analytics now on the web hits and this is definitely the way the future will work. However I also do believe that the networks are some of the last bastions truly run by men. Those men came up the ranks and equestrian was not part of the menu.
It has recently become a lot more popular. Their decision making processes are glued to patterns that were a sure hit 10 years ago- not now. It's way too risky to change the programming to such a large degree while associating such high costs with it - when you KNOW- like FOR SURE- that you have high quality topics that WILL get mass approval....
Noone will go out on a limb like that- the answer is web feeds- and they will get better and include Macs and be even more comprehensive...
The software that Microsoft put together to cover this last minute is still in beta testing..so you know- we're just again becoming witness to a huge change in how stuff is served up!!

I suggest- buy bigger monitors for your computers- or use your TV as monitor for your computer....;))

Wellspotted
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:24 AM
It is a really good idea, for those of us who have computers that can load the clips.

For the rest of us ... well ...

I do think that this thread has a lot of good examples of the reality of being an equestrian-event fan. Some people believe that equestrian events shouldn't be included in the Olympic Games because equestrian sports are elitist and only for the rich. This thread is great proof that that is just plain not the case! Most of the horse owners I know are struggling financially, hoping to find affordable hay, etc., not rushing out and buying the latest computers just so they can watch the Olympics on them. And come next February, with the switch to digital-only TV viewing, we'll get another hit in the wallet.

ShotenStar
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:45 AM

I'm on a Mac and the live feed is working wonderfully well for me (OS 10.5.2 with fiber optic internet service). And I did send NBC an email, complimenting them on the live feed and the extensive video replays that are available. I will probably send them another one at the end.

*star*

AiryFairy
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:59 AM

Why do you think that dreadfully boring beach volleyball is getting so much air time?

2 tbs
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:08 AM
I live with someone who works for NBC (well, our local affiliate anyway). He and his big-wig boss sat and went over ratings the other night. Don't watch what you aren't interested in. End of story.

If you like it-watch it. The more people that watch (online, replays, tv etc) the more likely the coverage in the future.

You can write letters-never hurts. Complaining and whining don't get the best results. They go into a pile and get looked at "when they feel like it". They do take the complaints into consideration but ultimately it's the ratings that get the job done.

Also, we want to see everything. I think that's an American way of thinking. Now, before you jump all over me for that statement read the rest of this please. It's truly not feesable to cover all sports through all sets. It costs the stations a small fortune to broadcast what they do. They pull ratings from the past and try to give us coverage of the biggest draws. They really can't please everyone. I am of the thought process that you don't know what people will watch until you try it. However, majority wins - always. I could keep going but I'm sure you all get my point.

Watch, watch, and watch again everything equestrian you can. That will get results. NBC has done a great job getting as much out there as they can this year--more stations, more coverage (even if minimal) on events that we often haven't seen in the past. If you want more equestrian - be the majority. Maybe the man from the op laughs when people bring it up as a filler but I can tell you my local station has already taken notice and isn't laughing :yes:

AnotherRound
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:26 AM

Sell the sport to NBC. Be a REAL supporter. Convince them. Invite them to your barn, to local shows. SHOW them that equestrian competition is exciting. Introduce them to a horse up close--maybe a big 17-hand-plus WB to impress them. If the Clydesdales can sell Bud, can WBs and TBs and DCs (DXs?) and all other horses sell equestrian sports?

Some woman (sorry, don't know her name) brought Bob Costas a scorpion on a stick tonight, and he suggested that tomorrow she cover the traffic in Beijing. Stick Bob on a big-moving dressage horse or face him with a cross country fence and SHOW that it's exciting!

And for the sport's sake, MFP, tell us your friend's name so we can write to him! As he's such a "really great guy," maybe he'll sit up and take notice!

Wow, superspot, you're good. I'm not a joiner, but you have me excited about making a difference. You do know how to sell something, and I would like you to continue to promote these suggestions, because the sane and intelligent way you discuss this seems very well thought out and that's what turns something from a joke to an eye opening. I'd like to see sports in US take these sports seriously. How to promote it?

Maude
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
Still don't get the beach volleyball thing. The horses are wearing less and are much more attractive :)

AnotherRound
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, now I read 2tbs post and I agree with that too. It is ratings which drives the US coverage. Can you elaborate about your local station which is covering equestrian? What makes them cover it, where are you (generally) and what kind of station is that, what drives their decisions to cover?

Bravestrom
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:33 AM
Another 'brag' for Canadian tv - CBC affiliate (originally 'Country Canada', now called 'Bold') had full coverage of WEG and is again covering every ride in HK (definitely not Canadian cameras but feed from whomever is doing it). I recommend individual letters/e-mail to whatever channel in the US is covering horse sport (Oxygen?). It is all about viewers so make yourselves heard!

Another brag for our canadian coverage. It is fantastic to be able to watch all it. We have been watching horse events on bold (used to be cc) for a while now and are thrilled to see the response it is getting. Apparently lots of people are requesting the channel from cable and satellite providers - just goes to show - broadcast it and they will come.

I think that if they promoted these stations in the horse mags they would get even more viewers.

If they show it praise them and watch it, if they don't show it - ask for it so they know we want it.

EventFan
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:38 AM
I for one am sick of beach volleyball.

Mardi
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
If they knew how much big money was involved in equestrian sports, they'd be all over it.

If they also knew how much big money equestrian sports generates in the US, they'd be all over it.

If they knew how many people are involved in equestrian sports - at all levels - they'd be all over it.

When they acknowledge that show horses outnumber race horses in the US by 3:1, then they'll pay more attention.

redpepper
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
Well I surmised that was the reason why there were so very few equestrian events on the major channels, but my local cable company won't even respond to my request for the Horse channel, But there is lots of beach volleyball, replays of football games, all that male interest stuff

caffeinated
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
Well I surmised that was the reason why there were so very few equestrian events on the major channels, but my local cable company won't even respond to my request for the Horse channel, But there is lots of beach volleyball, replays of football games, all that male interest stuff

I wrote my cable company asking for the Horse channel, and they wrote back a very nice email saying "we already have Horse Racing TV!" heh

Frank B
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've been taping the coverage on USA and OXYGEN and have almost filled one tape. That's almost six hours worth so far, and we're barely out of Eventing.

I agree that a "form letter" is not the way to go. However, if some media-savvy person would list some "talking points" (forgive the mediaspeak) that we could re-word in our individual letters, it might garner us a bit more attention.

From what I can tell, the only thing that the mass media is motivated by is $$$ and their political agendas.

Oh, and ditch the cable! Get satellite!

horsephotolady
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:30 AM
Even my husband is sick of beach volleyball. It came on last night and he said "turn it off--not going to spend another evening watching this!"

It's a great idea to tune into the Equestrian as much as possible, however, in many areas it is simply not possible to tune in. In my region, there is no Oxygen channel. Cable company doesn't carry it.

I work at a large university veterinary clinic--LOTS of people here would like to watch some equestrian on their computers--guess what? We're still using Windows 2000 here, and the videos don't work with that.

We've got a whole region here in Michigan who wants to watch and can't!

Then, on top of that, the other events that I want to watch (gymnastics) are being broadcast after 10:00 p.m. I work every day, as do most of the other people I know. I can't stay up late and be effective at work.

So, in spite of that fact that there is supposedly so much more coverage this year, I'm seeing less Olympics than I ever have in the past. I'm really not a very happy camper this year.

Anne FS
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:01 AM
the only thing that the mass media is motivated by is $$$ and their political agendas.

It's a good thing in your letters to mention sponsors by name and that you went out and bought their product based on their support of Equestrian. Now I can't buy a Rolex, but if there's a commercial for Tide or Coca-Cola or cereal or chewing gum, go buy some and tell the networks you did that BECAUSE they advertised in your sport.

FarnleyGarnet
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
:yes:It's all about the money.

I work in online advertising for a major newspaper. Sadly sometimes it's the advertisers that drive the content of our site. If advertisers don't see the value of running alongside equestrian content they aren't going to pay money to run there. If they'd rather pay top dollar to run alongside beach volleyball which sport do you think there will be more coverage on? That being said there is always a separation of advertising and content for media outlets for legal reasons. I'm sure the networks are the same way.

The best thing you can do is watch the live stream online... and if you want to be really, really helpful, CLICK ON THE ADS! Advertisers track how many views and how many clicks their ads got. No one at the networks would be giggling if they realized the demographic they are reaching with equestrians. Think about it... the majority of us are female, aged 20-60 (don't mean to offend anyone!), with 50k+ household income (again, don't mean to offend!), brand loyal, and have disposalbe income. Do you know how many advertisers jump at targeting that kind of audience?! We should be the ones laughing... those advertisers are spending millions paying top dollar to do demographic targeting and they don't even realize all they had to do was spend less and purchase the ad space within equestrian to get the same results. :lol:

Letters are a good idea too. In your letter mention how many hours you streamed on the live feed or watched on tv. Tell a bit about yourself in the letter. Explaining that you're a 46 year old accountant who just bought a new mac computer and a ford f350 this year may sound silly, but the person reading the letter will think "Wow we need to set up meetings with apple, ford, and charles schwab about sponsoring this silly equestrian stuff next time!"

Oh and keep checking Beezie's blog! ;) Fortunately there are a few girls down in the newsroom who like horses too!

Frank B
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:07 AM
...being broadcast after 10:00 p.m. I work every day, as do most of the other people I know. I can't stay up late and be effective at work...

Seriously, I've noticed this same comment frequently as of late, both on-line and in the real world. Has the demise of the VCR made timeshifting more difficult now than it was during the VCR's hey-day? I honestly don't know, because my combo machine is play-only for DVDs. I still do my recording on tape.

...Think about it... the majority of us are female, aged 20-60 (don't mean to offend anyone!), with 50k+ household income (again, don't mean to offend!), brand loyal, and have disposalbe income...
Yes, but does this constitute a demographic that will succumb to an ad and be persuaded to part with its hard-earned $$$ ?

Anne FS
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
Just sucks.

That's crazy. They're great. Of course you can watch the videos on them, and with Mac when all the PC users are getting viruses, you just keep on truckin'. My daughter got a Mac when she went to college and within the first week a massive virus hit and the entire university system was shut down. Didn't affect her in the least.

shawneeAcres
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
I am totally unable to watch the live feeds!! I have a PC (not MAC) and downloaded Silverlight (or what the heck ever it is called!) and NOTHING! I have watched live feeds from Upperville, from AQHA Youth world shows as well as numerous other shows with NO PROBLEMS (and no "Silverlight" needed either) and am pretty ticked off about it!

hessy35
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:17 AM
OK... Not to throw anyone under the bus, but a good friend of mine husband is one of the highest ranking decision makers at NBC's Olympic Production (He is a really great guy and I would hate to make his name public). I had dinner with this them right before he left for China... and I asked him why NBC never covers Equestrian Events. He started Laughing. He mentioned that Equestrian is the 'joke' at NBC... Any time they are looking to fill a spot with coverage someone states "lets put on equestrian" (sarcastically) and everyone in the room laughs. He said that Judo is also the other running joke at NBC as well.

He also mentioned that no one at NBC really knows anything about equestrian, and they also get the most request for our sport. FYI, NBC is not in Hong Kong covering equestrian... they contracted it out.

Personally, I am happy that we have the live feed... that is a good start. Too bad Animal Planet or Outdoor Sports Network can't step in and purchase the rights to the equestrian. I have no idea how that stuff works...

-MFP

People don't understand the sport so they can't enjoy it. Feel privilege that we do understand it.. therefore that makes us far more brilliant than the majority of people who's brains can only watch volleyball.. :)

vineyridge
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
The FEI could help with getting advertising dollars into big markets, couldn't they? They have the Samsung Team World Cup, the HSBC Eventing series, Rolex for the Individual World Cups, and some of the European big events and horses also have big sponsors who do business in the US. Audi and Mitsubishi are a couple of those. Lexus used to be a sponsor at Rolex. Alltech is a United States horse supply company that bought the naming rights to the next WEG.

If sponsors were able to put dollars on the table for the horse part of the Olympics, maybe NBC would carry more.

One thing I've noticed is that the (mostly European) sponsored horses don't carry their sponsors' names into the Olympics. I'm assuming that is an Olympic rule.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:21 AM
Seriously, I've noticed this same comment frequently as of late, both on-line and in the real world. Has the demise of the VCR made timeshifting more difficult now than it was during the VCR's hey-day? I honestly don't know, because my combo machine is play-only for DVDs. I still do my recording on tape.

No, it's easier than ever now with DVRs and Tivo like devices. You can even set your device to record any thing that is "horse" or "equestrian" related, the device will look through program listings and descriptions and record things you probably didn't even know were on.

With the live (as it happens) coverage of every second of Equestrian online, and rewind abilities online, plus the showing of equestrian coverage on various cable channels, this has to be the best covered Olympics from an equestrian POV. But it seems some people aren't happy unless it's being shown on prime time on NBC.

The future of coverage of stuff like this, for all minority sports and interests, lies online, and the quality will only get better over time. I follow several other sports that are unheard of in the US, but through the wonders of modern technology I can watch games live on my computer from the other side of the world. So keep your computer up to date and make sure you have a fast connection.

horsephotolady
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
ShawneeAcres:
I totally agree with you. I can watch video all over the internet. But not the Olympics! Why didn't they use a technology that was more widely available!?

Anne FS
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
So, in spite of that fact that there is supposedly so much more coverage this year, I'm seeing less Olympics than I ever have in the past. I'm really not a very happy camper this year.

Well, it can't be helped that it's in China and the 11am - 1pm events are 11pm+ here. I think it's great to see so much live on tv (I can't see the computer stream - I have Linux, which isn't supported).

FarnleyGarnet - oooo, clicking on the ads! You're so right!! Good point.

Since I can't watch it live on computer, I do make a point to go to the NBC site and also the Sports Illustrated site; you can choose by sport and I click Equestrian LOTS to check on how things are going, read the Eq athletes profiles, the feature stories, everything, so Eq will get lots of clicks, because I KNOW they're tracking them. Now I'll take Farnley's advice and make sure to click on the ads that come up in the Equestrian areas.

MFP
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
I would like to see NBC put Matt Lauer or Bob Costa on a horse and have them attempt to do a dressage test or jump a fence... That should give NBC some GREAT ratings...

Mozart
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:13 PM
Another one glued to Bold. I believe the CBC was given an award last year (or year before) by Equine Canada for "Broadcaster of the Year". Stroking them when they have done good doesn't hurt. I am going to have to remember to write a letter at the end of the Olympics and thank them for their excellent coverage.

Seriously sleep deprived though, I PVR during the day and watch it at night. Yawn. Need more coffee.

katie16
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
Not that anyone asked, but just my two cents on why I don't expect greater coverage of equestrian competition.

1) Time is a factor. It takes a long time to finish an event and determine a winner or place standings. So many of the sports that DO get covered are faster paced individual or group activiteis - you know the final outcome more quickly. Seems that many a consumer likes instant gratification - especially if you only have a half hour to sit and watch.

2) Equestrian is harder to understand for a non-equestrian viewer. Most anyone can watch a track and field event and know who did a better job. I don't think the same can be said for Dressage. Often it seems that the "exciting" and "interesting" part of equestrian competition for the non-equestrian are the things that go wrong (falls, spooking, etc.).

Sadly, I can think of many parents, friends, spouses, etc. that have a hard time hanging out at a horse show where someone that they know is competing. I cannot imagine that they would have an interest in sitting and watching those they don't know.

I am pleased that we have the live feed option. Frankly, I think that is a great compromise for those of us who want to watch all of it and the business of providing an entertaining show for the average consumer to watch. I would rather have a live feed option of all the equestrian events than have limited viewing of it on television during primetime.

J. Turner
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:28 PM

Tight white pants aren't enough? Black boots and whips? Put bikinis tops on the XC rides on the women and no shirts on the men. That should help. Except with that Polish or Belarus guy.

katie16
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
I would like to see NBC put Matt Lauer or Bob Costa on a horse and have them attempt to do a dressage test or jump a fence... That should give NBC some GREAT ratings...

I believe that the Today Show put Hoda on Phillip Dutton's horse the other day - she was all dressed in the pink coat and everything.

Appsolute
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Of course!! Gees.. almost forgot about that "MS" part!

Older mac user here (hey, unlike my piece of crap PC, its still running strong after 6 years, no need for a new one!). Therefore I can't watch ANY of the videos on the NBC site.. not live feeds, not replays.. It sucks!

GRR on NBC, I can't believe they REPLAY sports (usually sports with minmal clothing!) rather then show differnt sports. I don't care if equestrian isn't shown prime time, I know its not every one's gig. But show me SOME THING differnt! Rafting is SO COOL! Show me some cycling! Haven't see any martial arts...

Think about it. What do the initials MSNBC stand for?

poltroon
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
ShawneeAcres:
I totally agree with you. I can watch video all over the internet. But not the Olympics! Why didn't they use a technology that was more widely available!?

I believe that it's a Microsoft scheme to increase their market share in online video.

I never would have downloaded Silverlight otherwise.

poltroon
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:03 PM
By the way, I love watching the whitewater canoeing and kayaking - two sports that are dramatically like show jumping IMHO - the person is at the mercy of the river and has to work with it instead of against it, and one little thing can move the gold medal favorite to also-ran.

They aren't even doing live streaming of the whitewater.

I've run across a lot of random people who spontaneously tell me that they're staying up too late watching equestrian - people who don't necessarily know how horsey I am and people who I didn't even know had much interest in horses.

poltroon
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm kind of cheered to hear we're the laughingstock. At least they think about us at all. :D

Chester's Mom
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
They're buying the equestrian feed from the BBC -- you can see the BBC cameramen sometimes -- and what would be really great is if they would just go ahead and use the BBC commentary on the live feed at the same time. So maybe suggestions rather than complaints might be more useful in the long run.

Great suggestion; BBC truly knows how to present our sports to their best advantage. It is VERY hard for the average non-horsey person to follow the cut & paste coverage we are seeing on Oxygen. DH wanted to root for the US on cross country but couldn't tell which horses were ours. He wants to understand dressage; and the commentary is ok but could be so much more .... I (of course) try to fill him in! Some explanation as to why it is hard to do well would help tremendously.

And lets face it, the angles of the shots in xcntry and SJ give no real feel for the size of the course OR the jumps! Now he has been to KHP and some jumping 'in person' he is much more impressed. Lots of shots (maybe between rounds) of each jump with a story about it and footage from on the ground next to it ... a discussion of the various approaches and what mistakes to look for... equals new enthusiastic fan!

poltroon
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
DH has complained that they've done a lousy job of explaining the scoring or play or techniques in any of the sports, and I would agree. On the other hand, it's a tough balance between taking 5 minutes for that and removing 5 minutes of competition.

Jumphigh83
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
If I see one more minute of beach volleyball I am going to toss my cookies. :dead::dead:

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
Have you ever seen Bob Costas cover horse racing? Blargh. He's one of the absolute worst- he's unwatchable. I think I prefer to view my other favorite horse sports without him being involved.

And I totally agree that the economic/viewing vote is certianly the post powerful. So keep clicking and watching the horse sports.

Auventera Two
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
Well I admit - when I watch the olympics, just about the last thing I think about is the equestrian events. I only want to watch swimming and gymnastics. I think I'd be bummed if I turned on the tv and had to watch Anky instead of Phelps. I don't mind watching highlights after-the-fact, but live coverage? No way, no horses. I see horses every day. I want to watch something DIFFERENT that I dont' get to see every day! :cool:

I most definitely do NOT think the horse sports should be the "laughing stock." That's just absurd. Those are hard working athletes - horses and humans - who worked hard to get there. They DO deserve the coverage, and people should be able to see them. I just personally prefer not to watch the horse coverage, but there SHOULD be good coverage for the horse people that DO want to watch.

But for me, I'll take those rock hard bodies in speedos any day over a tophat and tails. :eek: Come ON ladies, it doesn't get better than this http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=michael%20phelps&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi :eek: :lol: :winkgrin: If that first picture doesn't give you a heart attack then there's no hope for you! LOL

cyberbay
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
NBC Sports is in the business to make money, and if they know that they would be moving in a direction that will make them money (like, growing audiences from streaming or broadcast or target-market networks), they will go there.

Hearing from viewers really does affect their outlook, so it's great to let the division know. If you're really going to deal with NBC, then above all, be business-like. Ditch the anecdotes, and get the hard numbers on the sport-horse industry in the U.S. and Canada (and maybe Mexico?) and present the NBC Sports powers that be with that info. These people who laugh at the horse sports are hard-core Big 4 types, but they want to be making money with them. So, don't engage with them until you can give them the facts -- audience, demographics, etc. -- that WILL engage them and let them do what matters to them, which is attracting those advertisers and making money for their division.

I agree, they may be laughing, but they also air Rolex Kentucky, etc. They want to be where the money is. And it's not at all unusual to contract out to other broadcasters who have the expertise in the more 'specialized' sports. They've done quite a bit.

warmbloodzrock
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
Why is it being laughed at in the first place? I know thats a dumb question but really whats so funny??? :confused:

Is it because its boring to watch for people who don't know anything about the sport?

Is it because we wear funny attire?

Is it because they don't consider it a sport???

I'm just a lil confused??

Anne FS
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
1) and 1A) You ask 2 questions and then answer them perfectly
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Read your own post for the answer to your questions.

:D

AM
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:44 PM
I shared this morning's dressage live broadcast with my officemate and she loved it. She does figures in roller skating and she understood it right away.

caffeinated
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
Well at least people are watching- my co-worker just asked "what is the point of this dressage thing?" and seemed really shocked when I told him it was physically demanding.

It's hard not to get insulted at that though. I mean, what is the point of pairs diving? Or downhill skiing?

BuddyRoo
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've heard that you can watch on Oxygen, and being close to Canada, some of us even get CBC which I've heard has good coverage. Unfortunately, my cable company carries neither of those.

I'm only getting 2 channels...the main NBC station and one other that has mostly just had boxing on.

I do have DVR and was all geeked when I heard the Oxygen schedule...but alas, not offered.

I've not had a lot of time to sit down and watch the nbcolympics.com stuff yet because I don't have an appropriate computer at home--only my work machine. But I intend to watch some and get caught up.

All that said...my mom, who really doesn't know much about eventing or dressage or jumping...has called me excitedly before, during, and after every equestrian broadcast. She's totally geeked. And several coworkers have asked me about the schedule as they'd like to watch (not horse people either, just see all my videos from Rolex and such and think it's neat).

I don't necessarily think most people NEED to understand all of the technicalities involved to enjoy watching horses jump big stuff or put together a lovely dressage test.

I will say though...aside from watching Phelps kick butt, there hasn't been that much that has excited me thus far on prime time. I wish they'd show more finals in other sports rather than all the prelim/qualifying in swimming and such. Goodness.

vineyridge
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
As I said on the other thread, it was possible to have a complete XC run, or danged close to it, live and German TV did it for Marius. I just watched. And I'm fixing to watch it again. If the BBC is responsible for the cutting and pasting and switching around, they did a terrible job. Since NBC is not doing this live for TV, why couldn't they spend the money to get complete rides and then edit the tapes themselves?

dogchushu
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
Any time they are looking to fill a spot with coverage someone states "lets put on equestrian" (sarcastically) and everyone in the room laughs. He said that Judo is also the other running joke at NBC as well.

Oddly enough, I have many friends who are into judo. They write, email, phone the networks all the time looking for more judo coverage! I wonder if the laughter is more due to an inside joke than lack of respect for our sport. I have a suspicion judo and equestrian may be sports that get a lot of requests, but not such high ratings.

Well at least people are watching- my co-worker just asked "what is the point of this dressage thing?" and seemed really shocked when I told him it was physically demanding.

It's hard not to get insulted at that though. I mean, what is the point of pairs diving? Or downhill skiing?

Come to think of it, what's the point of all these different swimming strokes? If you have to swim from Point A to Point B, wouldn't you do it in the fastest, most efficient way possible? Why would you ever do a backstroke, breast stroke, or butterfly?

Imagine if track went the same way: we'd have the 100 m skipping race, the 200 m running backwards race... :D

2 tbs
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
Well, now I read 2tbs post and I agree with that too. It is ratings which drives the US coverage. Can you elaborate about your local station which is covering equestrian? What makes them cover it, where are you (generally) and what kind of station is that, what drives their decisions to cover?

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. My local station is Channel 11 (WPXI). I'm only seeing what's on Oxygen but the amount of viewers (Olympics-wide) was noted as well as specific events...one being the cross country on Oxygen. They were glad it was money well spent as they were unsure anyone would watch especially on Oxygen.

Any time I complain about equestrian stuff getting bumped or not covered in general (no matter what the event), I am told by my BF to get as many people to watch as possible as that's the best way to change the minds of those deciding what to air and when. Hell, in this city, they cut off the last few minutes of a football game (might even have been a super bowl) to air Heidi :eek: - NOT wise and they have since mended the error of their ways. Biggest reason-everyone turned off the tv or at least the channel when the movie came on. Other reason-enough correspondence was rec'd regarding their giant mistake :winkgrin:

Equestrian events are super hard to put on for the public. For some reason, regardless of how many people think horses are beautiful, they won't watch an entire broadcast of horsie stuff. I don't know if they get bored because horses are just going in circles most of the time or randomly jumping things sometimes or what but they don't watch and TV has noted that over the years. As a kid I watched the Budwiser Grand Prix on TV many times. As I got older horsie things faded more and more.

Horse things are very technical and if you aren't "into" the sport I can see why watching only a little would get, well, boring. We have the same problem with Hockey (I love it and go to as many games as possible but on tv it can get boring to watch). Still though, the more we watch and the more we express our gratitude for seeing what we have as well as expressing a desire for more, the more likely we are to get it.:D

danceronice
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
I shared this morning's dressage live broadcast with my officemate and she loved it. She does figures in roller skating and she understood it right away.

Heh. Ask her if she knows why they were ultimately dumped by the ISU for *figure* skating. I bet she knows--it's because figures were ultimately deemed too costly in terms of training and ice time required, because they make it very easy for judges to put someone so far ahead no one else can win, but most important of all they are inherently NOT TV-friendly. They are tedious, they are boring, and in skating, where they are actually looking at the marks on the ice, no one but the judges can actually see anything important. They also took up a huge amount of time and made for really, really, REALLY dull TV. While it's definitely true basic skating skills have slid since they were eliminated, and there's a strong argument they should still be part of the test stream in some form, no one wants to see them back in competition. Because they are dull to WATCH. Dressage suffers from a similar problem. If you aren't doing it, even if you know how, it can get old really fast.

Eventer13
Aug. 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
Imagine if track went the same way: we'd have the 100 m skipping race, the 200 m running backwards race... :D

That would make me watch track :lol:

half seat
Aug. 14, 2008, 03:31 PM

I'll add to this -- THANK THEM for the coverage they already show.

I'm always amazed that, when they finally DO show equestrian events, people complain that the coverage isn't good enough or something like that. No wonder they don't want to show it - every time they make an attempt, they get criticized.

gottagrey
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
Considering NBC has televised Rolex for the past couple of years, I'm thinking equestrian might be the laughing stock but one would think a big muckety muck at NBC had a little something to do with it -there have been threads over on eventing during Rolex thanking the fellow from NBC for televising Rolex. I am often amazed at how many people poo-poo equestrian sports - if they only knew how many corporate CEO's, celebrities are involved w/ horses - they might be surprised.

I was watching the showjumping they had on Animal Planet in Aachen - 55,000 were there watching the showjumping ! which is amazing considering that pretty much is a sellout at many pro-football stadiums !

Larksmom
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:15 PM
1 Boob Costas doesn't consider horses atheletes. His coverage of racing is cringeworthy, and at the turn of the century, he had a cow because Secretariat was considered one of the top 50 atheletes of the previous century. Their horse racing coverage is deteriorating event by event.
2. I watched the entire 3-day competition LIVE from Greece on some cable network. It was on at a funky time, but we got it all.
3. Live streaming is always good. Some of us get it, some of us don't. Unfortunately, I don't but I do get Oxygen. I just finished editing the eventing part of the Olympics, and it took about 4 hours of tape. I will write a letter, but not to Costas. Breath wasted there.
4. Eventing has had a fairly bad year. Thank God there were no disasters in HK.
5. I am able [not necessarilary willing!] to watch NBC coverage every night. They manage to cut out everything but the US and the winners.
6.I REFUSE TO WATCH VOLLEYBALL!!!

Eventer55
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:30 PM
Watching Dressage is likened to ballet, you either get or you don't. We have 2 friends who are HOOKED on Dressage and neither has ever ridden!!! They are quite well educated and have been to the ballet, opera etc. They subscribe to some station that has dressage programming.

I can't see "Boob Costas" having the where with all to understand Dressage. Personally, I did write NBC and thanked them, but I doubt they will bother with the emails.

Elghund2
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
Its nice to email and send letters but its not goin to change their minds. There's not enough money in it for them. Think about it. They farmed out the eventing to the Oxygen network. A network that caters to women.

The horse demographic is not big enough for them to worry about.

Even if you put the women in bikinis I wouldn't watch dressage without falling asleep. Actually the same could be said for stadium.

gottagrey
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
They talked about the 31 y/o old gymast on the German team but Ian Millar and I believe a dressage rider who are in their 60's doesn't that deserve some tidbit - of course that would bring up the debate about whether or not equestrian/riding horses is a "sport".

Catsdorule-sigh
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
I wouldn’t waste time with Bob Costas, he isn’t going to be the final decision maker on coverage.

NBC can analyze the live streaming, but would that be truly representative of many equestrian folks who live outside of cable coverage? Maybe I’m wrong but it seems unless you are a cable subscriber you’re out of luck, you can’t even do streaming. What is really objectionable is that it seems there must be an agreement between NBC and other countries not to allow any live or taped coverage. Maybe that works if you have cable but otherwise, I have been shut out of anything from the CBC, BBC, and Australia. The one German ride made it to YouTube and I hope it’s still available.

If you’re not a ratings household, you can watch all you want and not affect anything. NBC needs to find out how many people really do watch equestrian sports.

Write letters to local station managers, NBC management, and the companies advertising on the Olympics. $$$ create attention and advertisers have a lot of influence. Advertisers will pay attention to a demographic missed.

Facts and demographics. Which age and socio-economic group watch the most horse sports? Are they affluent and attractive to potential advertisers?

Don’t even suggest putting a camera on an anchor person unless that person can ride the horse in that venue. Do find a qualified person who might be willing to ride with a helmet cam or something like that for a bird’s eye view of say, jumping into the water down a big drop in cross country. Put a microphone on the person, too. One of the most entertaining jumps at a cross country I was at years ago was because we could hear the riders talking the horses and themselves over the jump. Some do, some don’t, but it’s the human interest factor.

Maybe the FEI should consider covering the equestrian events themselves and selling the feed back to the networks- with the proviso of guaranteed time slots and length of coverage. Production can be contracted out and getting someone with previous experience would be a good thing.

I remember watching a fair amount of cross country and jumping during the 1984 Olympics- but that was also the ABC network, in their heyday of sports, with Jim McKay. Probably helped that it was in the networks western back yard.

Ultimately, it's is the sports anchors, many of them former jocks, (not the equestrian kind) who decide coverage. I asked the sports anchor of a station years ago why he didn't cover any of the local three-day. He said that unless the sport involved chasing a ball, or puck, people didn't understand it and weren't interested in it. I disagree with that, but that's kind of the mentality you're dealing with.

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
Television 101

It is all about ratings. Ratings help you set your ad price. In the US, equestrian on TV does not get ratings. And 99% of the US thinks dressage is like watching paint dry.

2 tbs
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
Actually, on other events as well as the equestrian events, they have mentioned the age of riders. They also mentioned it in the opening ceremonies.

As far as whether or not equestrian is a sport? Well that's how things go. Many, myself included, are surprised certain things are sports (ping pong, badminton etc). However, for those involved in the game of course it's the most important thing. It's all in perspective.

I've been riding for 23 years. I have only recently started hearing (a limited number of...) folks accept riding as exercise. When people don't know about it they assume it's not up to the standard of the things they do know. Just life...unfortunately.

throwurheart
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:39 PM

I'm on apple and on the live feed just fine...

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Funny, 'cause I sent them an email to the "comments on Olympic coverage" link saying thanks for such a great job covering the Equestrian events. Guess I should be thanking someone else!

Kenike
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
I love the idea of the letter writing! Starting with a sincere thank you for showing more than they have since I was a little girl (I, too, remember watching all three disciplines during primetime not so very long ago...I'm 32). I also think it's been pretty obvious for a while that sports such as ours aren't exactly favored. Which, frankly, is quite sad.

The best we can do is politely and respectfully keep asking for more consideration. Even if that mean putting a few correspondents in a couple of up/down lessons.

LexInVA
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Those of you who have Macs and can't get the feed, are you using an OS X system with a G5 CPU or is it a newer Intel Mac? Microsoft won't give anything specific as to the hardware requirements but they only list OS X as the requirement for Mac playback of Silverlight feeds.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:47 PM
... and I asked him why NBC never covers Equestrian Events.

Never? Are you sure about that?

So the Rolex annual coverage is considered something other then 'equestrian'? How about the fact that NBC has aired for the last 2 years the AQHA Championships (http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/nbc-sports-american-quarter-horse-12-06.html)? Or the fact that NBC will be airing the World Equestrian Games in 2010? Again .. NBC never airs equestrian event?

With all due respect what would NBC also pick up for additional equestian coverage? Dressage never will happen so its pointless - heck not even cable is picking that up.

Showjumping doesn't have its act together (IMHO) to package the American Grand Prix series (AGA) correctly with advertisers ready to underwrite the required tv ads. It certainly won't now that Budwesier will most likely not renew their title sponsorship. (As an aside, CBS was burned royally (http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-4798342_ITM) by the pennyless twists behind the Las Vegas World Invitational a few years ago. Giving any major network reason to be suspect.)

Other one-off show jumping events - like a Devon - are just that regional only. A national network isn't going to waste time with a sports show that is in large part, in that example, for the Philadelphia market.

Thats why Fox Sports west coast did for a time have California showjumping as it made sense for that region only.

Rolex is a national and international showcase. It also has lined up enough sponsors to get it onto TV with guaranteed ad buys from the State of Kentucky and others. That is critical.

I won't even go into the NBC support for horse racing - Kentucky Derby, Santa Anita Derby, Preakness, and Wood Memorial Stakes. They were outbid for the Breeders' Cup (which they held from its 1984 inception until 2006) as well as the Belmont Stakes.

huntrpaint
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:04 PM
I agree that we must thank them for the internet coverage. Something is better than nothing. And I also think they do not know just how many fans of dressage and other equestrian sports there are in this country. I think letters would be wonderful, but not angry letters about what they didn't show. They will get thrown in the trash. But letters thanking them for the coverage they had and asking for more. If we all wrote letters they would get an idea of just how many of us there are.

If they know anything about computers they will have kept track of how many people used the life feed. I can tell by the minute who hits my website and how many per day and we're just a little ol'family practice clinic.

throwurheart
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:19 PM
Those of you who have Macs and can't get the feed, are you using an OS X system with a G5 CPU or is it a newer Intel Mac? Microsoft won't give anything specific as to the hardware requirements but they only list OS X as the requirement for Mac playback of Silverlight feeds.

I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro, circa 2007.

Gotta say, this Olympics ROCKS!! This live feed is amazing. I have watched literally zero minutes of any other sport, because I don't have time -- calendar full with work, riding, and watching Olympic Equestrian!!!

(Sorry, I'm a little excited.)

Ajierene
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
For those that are complaining and stating 'so many people are equestrians, so why not', according to statistics, less than 4% of the US population owns horses. Add people that have been exposed to horses and you might get 6%.

Not really a big percentage of the population.
http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/ownership.asp
http://www.appma.org/newsletter/july2005/survey_says.html

Not really a large part of the population.

TV shows go by ratings and what will sell advertising space. If they cannot sell advertising space, they don't make any money.

I have discussed this with my friend's dad. My friend is working his way into Spec Miata Racing. He started small, just like me, but he has been able to get sponsorship. The difference? He races cars - everyone owns a car. People can understand car racing. People will watch car racing. Even if the company is not a car related company, they can be convinced that people will watch it. My friend has a very good record also, which helps of course.

The problem with horse sports is if you go to the CEO of a companyand ask for sponsorship for your Three Day Eventing goals, he is likely going to look at you like you have two heads. Mention car racing and even if he does not know what Spec Miata is, he will know what car racing is.

It is the same thing with coverage of Equestrian Sports - if the advertisers do not think people will tune in, they will not spend their money on ads for that program. So the best thing to do is write nice letters and have people tune in.

As for watching ratings - yes, if you are not a ratings household what you watch won't matter. Why do you think nbc olympics asks for your zip code and cable provider? Maybe because they are going to gather information on who watches what where? Say they get huge numbers in Virginia. Virginia will likely see a surge in what is shown when in the future. Really low numbers in Montana - they aren't going to waste their time and the advertisers are not going to pay.

How does my friend get sponsors? Letters from other sponsors stating how sales have increased and his record of being in the winners circle (really, unless it is NASCAR, people don't know what stickers are on what car unless you are at least the top three). How do TV stations get advertisers? Proof that if they put a show on people will watch and thus watch the commercials - this can be done with studying the statistics on the live feeds and other news pieces and such that are on the website.

So gripe all you want and complain about volleyball - but understand that this is a business and not subject to the fancies of 5% of the population.

luckles
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
I agree with everyone that I would love to see more equestrian tv coverage. When writing your letters, remind them of the equestrian demographics...this is the buzz word for tv people as they depend on advertising revenue. Equestrian has the highest income demographic of most sports. It is driven by women (key demographic) with substantial disposable income. These are the things they need to realize along with getting many, many letters requesting more coverage. Remember...they are driven by the almighty dollar!

grayarabs
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
I remember the '92 games - where we could rent a box - and there were the red, white and blue channels. I paid for the package - whatever - it seems like everything was shown - entire tests - all riders/horses? 3Day and SJ. It was just great. Seems like we could choose what we wanted to watch - in other sports as well - not like now - where if you flip channels you have a choice between beach volleyball, boxing and other sports I am at least not remotely interested in.
Hours of beach volleyball? Come on!!!
I guess there are just so many hours a day they can televise - but it would be nice if with present system they could poll folks ahead of time - and air accordingly.
Now we get what they decide we get. Hours of volleyball - I have yet to see a horse.
Have watched swimming and gymnastics - but yes - the latter running too late at night.
In regards to letters etc - I don't think a million form letters is the right thing.
I think that perhaps each city should combine their forces - and at shows/events have a petition of sorts - asking for more coverage - where folks could sign their names and add comments/whatever. For example - Houston: dressage shows, H/J shows, eventing, etc - at the shows have folks sign the same page/pages - on the society letterhead - thereby each city mailing to someone? NBC? perhaps 20 pages of signatures - instead of 20000 individual pieces of paper - per city or whatever.

grayarabs
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
Other thoughts: next O's in London, right? A more horsey country - perhaps that will help - who knows.
Regarding watching NBC - I don't have a great understanding of this - but I tune in evenings when the coverage starts. Last night started with beach volleyball - I did not watch - but left the TV on that channel - and went to do something else - coming back to see if anything interesting on. Do the networks consider that I am watching beach volleyball - for ratings - I mean how do they know? Stupid question I am sure - but by dint of my TV on that station am I supporting coverage of beach volleyball? If yes - would it not be better to change channels during things like BV - so ratings would not be so high?
I mean - I just moaned when I continued to see BV - muted the sound - finally did a crossword puzzle on the couch - looking up to see when swimming or gymnastics was going to start.

MissIndependence
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:55 PM
How much beach volleyball can one person watch???? MOTHER OF GOD. If I see Kerry Walsh's butt in the sand one more time......

Sorry - maybe it's just me - but they ain't that hot....male OR female.

Ajierene
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
Other thoughts: next O's in London, right? A more horsey country - perhaps that will help - who knows.
Regarding watching NBC - I don't have a great understanding of this - but I tune in evenings when the coverage starts. Last night started with beach volleyball - I did not watch - but left the TV on that channel - and went to do something else - coming back to see if anything interesting on. Do the networks consider that I am watching beach volleyball - for ratings - I mean how do they know? Stupid question I am sure - but by dint of my TV on that station am I supporting coverage of beach volleyball? If yes - would it not be better to change channels during things like BV - so ratings would not be so high?
I mean - I just moaned when I continued to see BV - muted the sound - finally did a crossword puzzle on the couch - looking up to see when swimming or gymnastics was going to start.

Unless you are a ratings household, what you watch does not matter. Ratings households are paid a certain amount of money and given a special box with buttons to push. This is how TV ratings happen. So do whatever you want with your TV.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_are_the_Nielsen_Ratings_determined

Online may be different - while I have not found 'proof', I have a sneaking suspicion that the zip code and provider information you are asked for will track who watches what where. The internet has made this easier than trying to track what people watch on TV. You can monitor how many 'hits' different links get. So write nice letters and click on everything horsey on nbcolympics.com.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
I remember the '92 games - where we could rent a box - and there were the red, white and blue channels. I paid for the package - whatever - it seems like everything was shown - entire tests - all riders/horses? 3Day and SJ. It was just great. Seems like we could choose what we wanted to watch - in other sports as well - not like now -

But you can do that now, it's all online. They have shown every minute of equestrian sports so far, and lots of other minority interest sports besides, and it's all FREE, not like before when you had to pay.
That's where the future of things like this is going, live streaming, and the quality is getting better and better. There's going to be a blurring of lines between TVs and computers over the next decade.
ESPN just showed every game of the Euro Championships (soccer) last month online. I could pop out my laptop in a coffee shoe and watch Spain play Russia, in either English or Spanish, or I could comeback and watch the replay if I got busy. The quality was excellent, and I imagine it will only get better.
I now some people are married to TVs, and don't like watching on a monitor. To me it's the same difference, probably because I've never owned a large TV.

Peggy
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
The 2008 live feed for equestrian is definitely reminiscent of the RWB channels in 1992 in terms of coverage of horses competing. I recall less of people finishing the xc course and more of horses galloping around the xc course. There were also live(?) commentators and other cool stuff -- anyone else remember the lengthly interview with George Morris?

Our family ended up watching the RWB channels even for non-equestrian sports, such as gymnastics, b/c the commentators were a bit more balanced and you got to see people from a variety of countries.

MelantheLLC
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:26 AM
The internet has made this easier than trying to track what people watch on TV. You can monitor how many 'hits' different links get. So write nice letters and click on everything horsey on nbcolympics.com.

Even better, click through on the ads on the equestrian pages. Lots of times!

Shop Target! ;)

MEP
Aug. 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
*snip* Personally, I did write NBC and thanked them, but I doubt they will bother with the emails.

Actually, I sent an email to:

Olympics.comFeedback@nbcuni.com

after the first day of 3-day dressage to thank them for the live-stream and replay coverage - and I got an email back :eek: saying thanks and enjoy the coverage! I was impressed that someone had bothered to read my email, let alone reply. So, definitely, write & say "equestrian" over and over. Someone somewhere is paying attention. (Don't know whether that someone has any influence on programming, but you never know!)

piaffeprincess98
Aug. 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm able to get it. I watched the eventing show jumping live on my Macbook Pro.

Sonesta
Aug. 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
Here are some figures you can use for ammunition in your letters:

These figures come from the American Horse Council, “The Economic Impact of the Horse Industry on the United States - 2005

Highlights of the national study include:

There are 9.2 million horses in the United States.

4.6 million Americans are involved in the industry as horse owners, service providers, employees and volunteers. Tens of millions more participate as spectators.

2 million people own horses.

The horse industry has a direct economic effect on the U.S.of $39 billion annually.

The industry has a $102 billion impact on the U.S.economy when the multiplier effect of spending by industry suppliers and employees is taken into account. Including off-site spending of spectators would result in an even higher figure.

The industry directly provides 460,000 full-time equivalent (FTE) jobs.

Spending by suppliers and employees generates additional jobs for a total employment impact of 1.4 million FTE jobs.

The horse industry pays $1.9 billion in taxes to all levels of government.

Approximately 34% of horse owners have a household income of less than $50,000 and 28% have an annual income of over $100,000. 46% of horse owners have an income of between $25,000 to $75,000.

Over 70% of horse owners live in communities of 50,000 or less.

There are horses in every state. Forty-five states have at least 20,000 horses each.

Numbers of Horses
The study concludes that there are 9.2 million horses in the U.S., including horses used for racing, showing, competition, sport, breeding, recreation and work. This includes horses used both commercially and for pleasure.

Specifically, the number of horses by activity is:

Racing - 844,531
Showing - 2,718,954
Recreation - 3,906,923
Other - 1,752,439
Total - 9,222,847

“Other” activities include farm and ranch work, rodeo, carriage horses, polo, police work, informal competitions, etc.

Participation
4.6 million people are involved in the horse industry in some way, either as owners, employees, service providers or volunteers. This includes 2 million horse owners, of which 238,000 are involved in breeding, 481,000 in competing, 1.1 million involved in other activities, 119,000 service providers and 702,000 employees, full- and part-time and 2 million family members and volunteers. That means that 1 out of every 63 Americans is involved with horses.

The Size and Impact of the Industry

Gross Domestic Product
The study documents the economic impact of the industry in terms of jobs and contribution to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

The study’s results show that the industry directly produces goods and services of $38.8 billion and has a total impact of $101.5 billion on U.S. GDP.

It is strong in each activity with racing, showing and recreation each contributing between $10.5 and $12 billion to the total value of goods and services produced by the industry.

Specifically, the GDP effect for each (in billions of dollars) is [first number is the direct effect, second number is the total effect]:

Racing 10.6/26.1
Showing 10.8/28.7
Recreation 11.8/31.9
Other 5.5/14.6

Total 38.8101.58

Employment
The industry employs 701,946 people directly. Some are part-time employees and some are seasonal so this equates to 453,612 full-time equivalent jobs.

The industry supports a total of over 1.4 million FTE jobs across the U.S. as follows [again first number is direct effect, second is total effect]:

Racing 146,625/383,826
Showing 99,051/380,416
Recreation 128,324/435,082
Other 79,612/212,010
Total 453,612/1,411,333

Taxes
The industry pays a total of $1.9 billion in taxes to federal, state and local governments as follows (in millions of dollars):
Federal - $588
State - $1,017
Local - $275

The Diversity of the Industry
The results of the study show that the horse business is a highly diverse industry that supports a wide variety of activities in all regions of the country. It combines the primarily rural activities of breeding, training, maintaining and riding horses with the more urban activities of operating racetracks, off-track betting parlors, horse shows and public sales.

Income Levels
The study dispels the misperception that the horse industry is an activity only for wealthy individuals. In fact, the horse industry is a diverse activity with stakeholders including recreational and show horse riders, and moderate-income track, show and stable employees and volunteers.

Approximately 34% of horse owners have a household income of less than $50,000 and 28% have an annual income of over $100,000. 46% of horse owners have an income of between $25,000 to $75,000.

Community Size
Over 70% of horse owners live in communities of 50,000 or less.

Sonesta
Aug. 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
Of course, this is for ALL horses. The demographics of those involved in the Olympic sports is on a much higher end.

vineyridge
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
On Oxygen Wednesday, for the first time, they showed a horse related ad. It was from Purina for their feeds. I was stunned.

How many other folks noticed that?

I forgot to record yesterday's dressage, but did the Purina ad show up there?

Shouldn't we also write Purina and thank them for their support?

2 tbs
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
They've been showing that Purina ad throughout their whole equestrian coverage. I've seen it at least 3 times each night.

However, that's another big point. Adverstising isn't wanting to buy slots during an event people aren't watching. We need to get our horse advertisers to buy commercial time for those events and that would be a huge help.

Think about when they air the Rolex. Yes, Rolex is Rolex but they air their horsie version of their commercials a million times during the coverage. If we could get more companies to buy commercial time for equestrian coverage that'd be a huge push since that's the income needed pay for the airtime.

BLBGP
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
It is amazing that we are able to watch the live stream (a live stream with excellent production value, no less) for free. Makes me happy.

JRG
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have to say I for one have watched more Oxygen channel then I ever have this week.

I also agree, it is about getting on the radar to what we equestrians are watching.

I would love to see the coverage of events on at 8:30pm, that way I am done with the barn and I am at home I can actually watch.

greeneyes86
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
I am totally unable to watch the live feeds!! I have a PC (not MAC) and downloaded Silverlight (or what the heck ever it is called!) and NOTHING! I have watched live feeds from Upperville, from AQHA Youth world shows as well as numerous other shows with NO PROBLEMS (and no "Silverlight" needed either) and am pretty ticked off about it!

Silverlight is Microsoft's competition to Adobe's Flash Player...since Microsoft owns NBC too, requiring Silverlight is just one more way that they are monopolizing the coverage. You can watch all the other videos on the internet because those run off of Flash.

magnum
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
Excuse me... but WTF?

189 hours straight of BEACH VOLLEYBALL?

In addition to equestrian, aren't there 299 OTHER sports in this Olympics? This seems very insulting to the other venues and their respective athletes ... they are there giving their best and can't get shown against ... beach volleyball?

What about showing highlights of it ALL ... archery, shooting, martial arts, etc.?

So, is it now that who NBC *decides* who gets to be a star? Who gets the most post-Olympic endorsements? Doesn't the gold medal winner for archery (or equestrian) ALSO get to be on a cereal box? I guess not, not if NBC chooses instead to ignore some sports entirely whilst spending copious broadcast minutes talking about someone's tennis shoes and specialty swimwear ...

Thanks for letting me vent ...

Magnum

LexInVA
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
Silverlight is Microsoft's competition to Adobe's Flash Player...since Microsoft owns NBC too, requiring Silverlight is just one more way that they are monopolizing the coverage. You can watch all the other videos on the internet because those run off of Flash.

Actually Microsoft and NBC parted ways on MSNBC a few years back. They now control less than a fifth of the ownership of the joint network though they are largely responsible for the online portal. Having used both Flash and Silverlight, I think Silverlight is definitely the better package since it is not only easy to integrate but the quality is there as well.

ottb
Aug. 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
America wants T & A. A few letters aren't going to fix it. I wish I could move to Germany!what's dominated the coverage women's beach volleybal and women's gymnastics.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm sure just about every sport would die to be aired on NBC and in prime time no less.

Physically it cannot be done so indeed choices are made. I'm certain the popularity of a sport dictates where it "ranks" in programming planning decisions as do the chances of the sport winning the gold/silver/bronze, and then if the sport has any popular stars who are a draw themselves. Example with the latter - Jenny Finch of the US Women's Softball.

The "NBC Channel" (for lack of a better descriptive) always will show the uber popular sports of swimming and gymnastics. Everything else just has to find a place in the pecking order.

Let's look at the facts ...

#1 Equestrian sports are mostly female in participation and interest. I'm a guy who rides and who competes and cannot change the fact it's never going to become a big male draw for viewership in my life. #2 The US teams and individuals, with all due respect, were not entering these games with credible expectations of any gold.

So you have the Oxygen Network that NBC far overpaid for and has been a financial mess to date. It is a female channel that tried to knock off Lifetime and they thought by inking a key deal with Oprah to air "after the show" exclusives of what was discussed on the show but left out of the 1-hour syndicated package would do the trick. It didn't

Anyhow, NBC owns it and likely said it was a perfect math - hours and hours of competition suited for a cable channel. Does that ignore the fact that Oxygen is seen in a fraction of American homes then that of USA Network? Or smaller then MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, Telemundo ... etc?

That said - if the US suddenly was in line for a gold medal - as David O'Connor was for individual, then NBC would do the same thing they did then: they'd move the medal round coverage onto NBC proper. If the teams are vying for 8th place? Then it will remain in the tv equivalent of Siberia.

As for Womens volleyball that has seen a big upswing in the audience size at EVP tour events and tv coverage long before the Olympics. Sex does sell, quasi-lipstick lesbian suggestions (yea, I know that's unPC, deal with it) brings in a huge male audience, and the US has seemingly always had a thing for California beach sports ... I don't get it as they aren't that cute, I get tired of the black support device on that gal's shoulder and frankly volleyball (to me) is at best a high school sport like backyard b-b-q badminton, table tennis, and croquet. However the latter isn't an Olympic sport almost shockingly ;)

2 tbs
Aug. 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
There are justified reasons why gymnastics and volleyball have gotten the most coverage (along with Michael Phelps).

Go back and read the thread - it's all in here :)

Until Equestrian events can get the support of advertisers and more watchers what we have is better than nothing which is what has been more normal in many Olympics past.

Actions (aka money) speak to tv stations. Sitting here complaining about it isn't going to get it done. Write your letters, get in front of the tv and or computer and seek advertisers willing to buy time during the airing of equestrian events.

Diva98
Aug. 15, 2008, 03:23 PM
But you can do that now, it's all online. They have shown every minute of equestrian sports so far, and lots of other minority interest sports besides, and it's all FREE, not like before when you had to pay.
That's where the future of things like this is going, live streaming, and the quality is getting better and better. There's going to be a blurring of lines between TVs and computers over the next decade.
ESPN just showed every game of the Euro Championships (soccer) last month online. I could pop out my laptop in a coffee shoe and watch Spain play Russia, in either English or Spanish, or I could comeback and watch the replay if I got busy. The quality was excellent, and I imagine it will only get better.
I now some people are married to TVs, and don't like watching on a monitor. To me it's the same difference, probably because I've never owned a large TV.

I couldn't agree more ... I think the live streaming is amazing, the quality is great and it is wonderful to be able to go back and watch repeats as well. All without commercials! I prefer this to having it on NBC itself. And I'm watching it on my Mac without any problems.

Count me as one who will be sending NBC a big thank you.

Madeline
Aug. 15, 2008, 03:34 PM

Hey. It's not like they're charging for Silverlight. Or the live stream.

Make nice. Say thanks.

yaya
Aug. 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
And you don't *have* to use Silverlight, there is a "proceed without plug-in" option.

I find the picture is sharper without Silverlight, and it doesn't skip or buffer.

Diva98
Aug. 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
I have the opposite experience - without the plug in I get a lot of starts and stops and buffering and the quality is way worse. Silverlight on my Mac is perfect. At work I am on a PC and I am not allowed to download anything, so I watch without the plug in and I have ended up listening for knock downs instead of being able to see them. :D

oskaar
Aug. 16, 2008, 01:27 AM

I have a Mac and I have no problem.

Madeline
Aug. 16, 2008, 07:55 AM
Is there anyone else out there enjoying the whining of those with old MAcs who can't get the live feed? After years of "Macs are better" "No viruses" "Easier to use" "You dummies with PC's"...

Update your MAc and stop whining... Or get a PC.

By my calculations, they showed 80 minutes of show jumping last night on Oxygen. Complete rounds. Decent commentary, considering that the commentary was recorded live so there was a lot of repetition of some info.

Thanks, NBC

gottagrey
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:35 AM
In some of the show jumping commentary as Beezie Madden was going they mentioned she was part of the US Gold Medal Team in Athens but did not get the medal until later because of some debate w/ the results and Germany - I knew there was a the show jumping debate w/ Medals in Eventing w/ Bettina Hoy so the medals were switched around but was there another problem w/ Germany in show jumping ?

Madeline
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
In some of the show jumping commentary as Beezie Madden was going they mentioned she was part of the US Gold Medal Team in Athens but did not get the medal until later because of some debate w/ the results and Germany - I knew there was a the show jumping debate w/ Medals in Eventing w/ Bettina Hoy so the medals were switched around but was there another problem w/ Germany in show jumping ?

Yes. Ludger Beerbaum's horse tested positive for a banned steroid. Probably unintentional, and almost certainly no effect on the outcome, but there are rules...

Susan P
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
Keep in mind that the people that laugh at Equestrian Sports are shoving Women's Beach Volleyball in our faces day in and day out. Could it be the very tall women in bikinis? :rolleyes:

-MFP

gottagrey
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Ha I just looked it up online - first time I did a search came back w/ wacky stuff - then did another one and it showed up . Wow to think that in 2004 both Eventing and Show Jumping Germany lost their Gold - lets hope all goes well for everyone in 2008!

Ajierene
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Is there anyone else out there enjoying the whining of those with old MAcs who can't get the live feed? After years of "Macs are better" "No viruses" "Easier to use" "You dummies with PC's"...

By my calculations, they showed 80 minutes of show jumping last night on Oxygen. Complete rounds. Decent commentary, considering that the commentary was recorded live so there was a lot of repetition of some info.

Thanks, NBC

Yes...I am laughing and considering sending this info on to my step-sister - confirmed Apple. My brother and I are confirmed IBM compatible users. So it is a bit of a family rivalry/joke.

OH, and someone said '189 minutes of volleyball'. Show jumping the other night, stadium and cross country for eventing. Each about 80 minutes. That means 240 minutes of equestrian sports.

Beach Volleyball - like the other team sports - will have heats and games. That means more playing time. Team A vs. Team B - go on to the next level. All the way up until you have only two teams battling it out for gold and silver. Equestrian sports in the Olympics don't have that. So overall, there is going to be less air time for Equestrian Sports.

outrageous
Aug. 16, 2008, 11:54 AM

Maybe this has been addressed already, but I have a Mac (a little over 2 year old) and I have no problems watching the live feed with Safari. Neither do the other people I know who use theirs to watch the online videos.

poltroon
Aug. 16, 2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks, NBC

I don't think people with older PCs can use it either.

This arrangement with Silverlight is clearly a play by Microsoft to increase their marketshare with their new video player, and to get some power away from open standards, and to force/encourage people to upgrade to new hardware and Vista. That's how Microsoft makes money, by finding ways to make your perfectly usable old computer unusable.

Since you enjoy whining, ;) I'll whine that since I foolishly entered my correct zipcode, which corresponds to the San Francisco media market, I get my feed plastered with inopportune commercials that none of the rest of you see. So for example, Beezie Madden started on course, jumped two or three fences, and then I had an ad... and then they were on the next horse when it returned to the live feed.

I figure my ad views are paying for the feed for the rest of you, so there. ;)

poltroon
Aug. 16, 2008, 12:22 PM
As earlier stated, when we're in contention for a medal they tend to move the coverage to the network - but actually I far prefer it on the cable channel. When it goes to the network, they tend to make it more fluffy and they show fewer riders in total. On the cable channel, they're happy to show us the Egyptian rider et al.

2 tbs
Aug. 16, 2008, 01:42 PM
How 'bout this for a spin on the "why this sport over that" on tv:

Besides the fact that some are a majority favorite and some happen to be a kick arse team of likely gold medalists, what about the days and times related to the country these sports are taking place in??

In other words, it just so happens that China is 12 hrs ahead of the US so that means 7 pm there is 7 am here (east coast at least). On top of that, they are also performing equestrian events on the same days gymnastics and beach volley ball and swimming are taking place.

If the equestrian events didn't start until the 2nd week or something like that, we might find ourselves getting even more coverage as it's certainly a bigger draw than many other events.

Unfortunately, having so many rounds and overall events crammed into 2 weeks doesn't allow for optimum tv scheduling. What can you do about that?? Nothing. Just be happy with what you do have :)

Ajierene
Aug. 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
I figure my ad views are paying for the feed for the rest of you, so there. ;)

Thank you for your sacrifice, I haven't had any commercials. Next time, I offer my zip code for you to use.

sascha
Aug. 16, 2008, 02:37 PM
I happily watched the Danish feed while simultaneously listening to the CBC feed on my Mac mini this morning. The little guy (all 7"x2"x7") of him was probably working hard to stream both videos at once, give me a nice piccy on my big ol' monitor and run about a half dozen web pages, but gosh, there was not a fan noise to be heard from him. :cool:

Having said that, I did need to fart about to update QuickTime before the CBC feed would work properly for me. I think, though, that us Mac users are so used to just plugging crap in and having it work/load/function without a problem that when something demanding coddling comes along we become stymied. You PC users are used to having to molly coddle your computers along. ;)

buryinghill4
Aug. 16, 2008, 03:19 PM
Good luck with the letter writing.:winkgrin: I hope y'all get hours of equestrian sports from London in 2012. I truly do.

Fenway Park sells out for every game. Long before the actual date.
If you put showjumping in the park would every performance be a sell out? How about an hour of dressage, an hour of showjumping, and an hour of regular conformation hunters? Would that sell 40,000 hot dogs and 1 million gallons of Budweiser?

I love equestrian sports too, but the masses don't want to watch 4 hours of A K E H C M B F... It IS seen as elitist.

The weanie women doing their floor exercises was amazing to watch! :eek: I might be easily tempted to change channels if they were on against equestrian sports.

Ajierene
Aug. 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
The weanie women doing their floor exercises was amazing to watch! :eek: I might be easily tempted to change channels if they were on against equestrian sports.

Did you watch the weight lifting?!?

Teeny tiny women lifting bar bells that looked heavier than them above their heads! It was amazing! They looks about 5'2" and 150 lbs or something - just small people lifting a bar bell that weighed over 200 lbs.

petitefilly
Aug. 16, 2008, 07:52 PM
Still don't get the beach volleyball thing. The horses are wearing less and are much more attractive :)

I don't either! The women don't even have boobs!!! So what is the center of attraction? Butt cracks? Please enlighten me too!

silver2
Aug. 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
He also mentioned that no one at NBC really knows anything about equestrian
As far as I can tell no one at NBC knows anything about any sports, period.

The swimming commentary was hilarious: "so, it's really very important that they get off the blocks quickly and that they reach the end as fast as possible". No shit? And they only show the US competitors. That makes me INSANE.

The further NBC is from any sport I'm interested in the better.

Oxygen is doing a great job of showing the horse stuff for a US station, imho. There are no 20 minute segments on Chinese cooking (I want to slap that NBC woman silly.) You get to see competitors from other countries even silly, small countries that no one cares about! LOSERS, I mean Americans who fail to win gold, are not hounded by news anchors trying to make them cry. It's all good.

They should give it to HBO or ESPN next time. They know how to do sports.

petitefilly
Aug. 16, 2008, 07:57 PM
Maybe this has been addressed already, but I have a Mac (a little over 2 year old) and I have no problems watching the live feed with Safari. Neither do the other people I know who use theirs to watch the online videos.

Did you have a problem today with a highly jerky video feed? Mine froze and the horse kept on snorting along so I knew the sound was being covered. Whole rides were a series of still frames. I have a brand new intel chip in a very sweet new mac, so newness was not a factor.

I had to hotfoot it over to my friend's house who has a PC and I watched on her PC just fine.

Crap, I had mine all poised on my TV with a cable and it was fine for the Eventing.

I think Silverlight sux.
:(:(:(:(

Hannahsmom
Aug. 16, 2008, 08:37 PM
That doesn't really coincide with the fact that Oxygen has been showing Equestrian sports between 6 and 8 pm - prime time hours.

While 8pm and later are better slots as far as ratings go, 6-8pm are still great slots.

If the Equestrian sports are really the 'laughing stock', why wouldn't they show them at midnight or later.

EDIT: I do think that writing letters thanking for the live feed and mentioning how much we liked the TV coverage would help in getting the Equestrian sports on TV more.

Not my Oxygen channel. :no: Must depend on which provider I guess.

Frank B
Aug. 16, 2008, 08:44 PM
...Oxygen is doing a great job of showing the horse stuff for a US station, imho...
From what I understand, what we're seeing is actually taped by BBC. Too bad they won't leave in the BBC commentary instead of using those motor-mouths in New York. They must be paid by the word.

Paragon
Aug. 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know what's being aired on television, as I don't subscribe, but holy crapola they've made a lot available on the web. I watched three hours of cross-country and two hours of show jumping today, and there's still a ton more.

I'm pretty delighted. :D

EMWalker
Aug. 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have to admit that I am pretty happy with what I have seen as far a coverage. I have watched bright and early every AM on the internet and then I get Oxygen and have been TiVo-ing and it's fine.
It's stinks as far as prime time coverage goes but lets face it, MOST people don't know a thing about equestrian events. Most people don't care to watch 2 hours of 8 minute dressage tests that basically look the same to the average person. And the TV camera's don't do the Grand Prix jumps justice in hight.

Compared to the last Olympics, I will take this coverage for sure!!! :yes:

JinxyPoo
Aug. 16, 2008, 09:32 PM
I don't really see what the problem is. Of course we as equestrians want to watch our sport on TV. But equestrian is definitely not the only sport that gets little to no airtime. I'm sure all those athletes would love to see their sports on TV too, but NBC has to market what's the most popular. Plus, you can watch stuff live online which is pretty cool, and if you miss it, you can watch the entire thing in its 3-4 hour entirety so I really don't see what the problem is.

jkt1026
Aug. 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
I am thankful for the live feed and for what minimal coverage they are providing. It is insulting to hear that equestrian events are considered a joke -Seeing as most of those folks won't get within a foot of a horse because they are too scared. I am an avid badminton player and watcher, so I get teased about both of my events. I always try to point out that Badminton is the second most played sport in the world (behind soccer), it's big everywhere but in the US, and also like to point out that the horsebackriding is the only sport in the world in which men and women compete on equal ground, against each other individually. Then I offer to let them ride my Friesian or Oldenberg mares (after showing a picture bc they are quite sturdy looking girls) and they shut up.
:)

buryinghill4
Aug. 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
and also like to point out that the horsebackriding is the only sport in the world in which men and women compete on equal ground.
sailing too

buryinghill4
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
and also like to point out that the horsebackriding is the only sport in the world in which men and women compete on equal ground.
:)
doubles badminton
doubles tennis

:yes:

jkt1026
Aug. 16, 2008, 11:18 PM
Against each other individually I should have added - Sorry about that! :)

dcm
Aug. 17, 2008, 12:59 AM
My boss and I were talking about the TV coverage (i.e. staying up late to watch swimming and gymnastics).

He mentioned his wife was miffed at NBC for all the beach volleyball coverage, then she asked where all the equestrian coverage was. These are no horse people, mind you, not even animal people. She, and their two girls, just wanted to watch the "pretty horses".

I just told him to check the internet. Lots of video replays and some live if you catch it right. ;)

To the OP - please relay to your NBC friend that NBC News is the laughing stock of the news world. Then thank him for farming out the Olympic equestrian coverage to a broadcasting company that appreciates the sport and its fans, and add double thanks for putting the video feed on the internet. :yes:

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 17, 2008, 01:16 AM
To the OP - please relay to your NBC friend that NBC News is the laughing stock of the news world. Then thank him for farming out the Olympic equestrian coverage to a broadcasting company that appreciates the sport and its fans, and add double thanks for putting the video feed on the internet. :yes:

What did NBC farm out? NBC isn't filming anything at the Olympic, except for maybe interviews. That's always been the case.

There seems to be a prevalent belief around here that networks from around the world all send their own crews to film each sport. They don't. Just think of how completely impractical that would be, 50 to 100 different crews with 4 or 5 cameras a piece at each venue. They might send a few reporters and a couple of guys to film the reporters doing interviews and on site reports, but all the sports footage is filmed in house by a company hired by the Olympic people, who then sell it to the highest bidder in each individual country.
Everyone around the world is watching the same footage.

Beanie
Aug. 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
I was in Switzerland this past week and have to tell you I was jealous of the great coverage of the equestrian events. They were on live (in the afternoon) and they showed tons of rides. I felt like I was at Rolex watching the huge screens with ride after ride. I was in heaven - it would have only been better if I spoke French!

Coverage was completely different for other sports as well. Lots of handball (which I guess is very popular) and fencing. We were all talking about sports we never see and were amazed they were part of the Olympics, as they never are shown here.

This year is much better than ever before but I agree it could be so much better. Even if they only added the verbal commentary to the live feed.

dcm
Aug. 17, 2008, 11:12 PM
What did NBC farm out? NBC isn't filming anything at the Olympic, except for maybe interviews. That's always been the case.

There seems to be a prevalent belief around here that networks from around the world all send their own crews to film each sport. They don't. Just think of how completely impractical that would be, 50 to 100 different crews with 4 or 5 cameras a piece at each venue. They might send a few reporters and a couple of guys to film the reporters doing interviews and on site reports, but all the sports footage is filmed in house by a company hired by the Olympic people, who then sell it to the highest bidder in each individual country.
Everyone around the world is watching the same footage.

Well then just call me a dumb a**. :rolleyes:

Geez. It's a figure of speech. Honey, I am not stupid enough to think that 50 nations are filming their own versions of the Olympics. I am in the US and my coverage is supposed to be from NBC, and they sure as hell aren't showing it on my TV. I don't get the Oxygen channel despite having 150 cable channels. The live internet coverage I am getting does not even have an American commentator even though it is being shown on NBC - an American broadcasting company.

So as far as I am concerned, they have farmed out equestrian coverage. :sigh:

gottagrey
Aug. 17, 2008, 11:38 PM
Well I have to say so far I've been very happy w/ equestrian coverage over at Oxygen channel, today I watched I think 8 or 9 riders on NBC- when it came on I think they were on the 50th or so rider - only one clean round until McLain Ward entered. Anyway at first it was horse, then 6 commercials, then horse, 6 more commercials. I normally think Melanie Smith Taylor does a good job but geeze Louise if I heard one more "This is the tricky part of the course"....

MGA828
Aug. 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
I normally think Melanie Smith Taylor does a good job but geeze Louise if I heard one more "This is the tricky part of the course"....

LOL - I was laughing so hard when I read this!!!! No Joke, she is starting to drive me nuts, just saying the same thing over and over again. I almost want to mute the TV, but then I can't hear the horses which I love.

Sukey1971
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:14 AM
I've said it before. Look at the sports that get the primetime coverage - swimming, diving, track, gymnastics, beach volleyball, triathlon. What do they all have in common? The people doing them are mostly under 25, aren't wearing very much, and what they do wear is skin-tight. You think the networks are going to show a 40-year-old equestrian who is covered up from head to toe? Ain't happening, at least not as long as we have middle-aged men making the programming decisions (my apologies to any middle-aged man who reads this). The only sport worse than equestrian to them is fencing, where even the faces are covered. In fact, the US won all 3 medals in one of the fencing events, and I sure didn't see it on primetime TV.

Ajierene
Aug. 18, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've said it before. Look at the sports that get the primetime coverage - swimming, diving, track, gymnastics, beach volleyball, triathlon. What do they all have in common? The people doing them are mostly under 25, aren't wearing very much, and what they do wear is skin-tight. You think the networks are going to show a 40-year-old equestrian who is covered up from head to toe? Ain't happening, at least not as long as we have middle-aged men making the programming decisions (my apologies to any middle-aged man who reads this). The only sport worse than equestrian to them is fencing, where even the faces are covered. In fact, the US won all 3 medals in one of the fencing events, and I sure didn't see it on primetime TV.

NBC has been talking quite a bit about Dora Torres - 41? somewhere near there.
The US Beach Volleyball team - Branagh is 29 and Youngs is 39. Most of the other countries are at least mid-twenties if not older, though Youngs is the oldest. The 18 year old on the Chinese team was mentioned as being the youngest and how unusual that is.

What do all these sports really have in common? They are popular, the programmers feel that the US citizens can get behind them, understand them, etc.

Basketball is currently being shown a lot - where does it fit into the 'young and tight clothing' model everyone seems to be touting.

Equestrian sports, Fencing, Judo, all sports that are not as popular in the US. Gymnastics is very traditionally a part of prime time Olympics. Sure, it helps that the people in the sports are fit and able to wear outfits that show off this fitness, but to put it just to that is to miss the other factors that effect when Equestrian sports are shown - namely popularity and ease of understanding the rules.

Arizona DQ
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
[I normally think Melanie Smith Taylor does a good job but geeze Louise if I heard one more "This is the tricky part of the course"....[/QUOTE]

LOL. Or if she says one more time that the jump cups are very shallow. Even hubby can repeat everything she is saying and is getting tired of the whole commentary. Why could she not give a little back ground on horse and rider or something else??? :no:

PangurBan
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:21 PM
CBC BOLD is covering every ride at the equestrian venue. We've had sensational coverage, with every horse being covered. It's been almost overkill (although I still taped it in case I missed someone) This channel also carries (as a matter of course) the FEI Samsung jumping, venues like Spruce Meadows, and other major equestrian events that are not necessarily based in Canada.
I like that the Canadian coverage is also showing all the athletes, and not just those from Canada.
So, I've got hours of tape, for those of you who have missed stuf:winkgrin:
Congrats on your Gold medal showjumping round -- but of course I'm really sad that Canada only had 3 horses... It was a great competition, and both gold and silver were well deserved and could have as easily been switched around. It was wonderful to see North America up at the top!

Coral
Aug. 18, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think the ads might have to do with your connection and download speeds more than zip codes or anything like that. I've had a single ad in all of my hours of live streaming (I've watched everything so far except for this morning's rides) and the only ad I ever got was when my boyfriend was downloading a big file. I got the buffering message a lot of people complain about and then one ad. Then I yelled at the bf and he queued his download for later in the day and everything was fine. :D

Does anyone have an email address to send comments and thanks to NBC for providing the live streaming to us? Every time I'm on the web site I look for a "Send us a comment link" but haven't found one yet. I also click on their ads at least once while I'm watching to help pay the bills while they are dragging the arena or something and I encourage everyone else to do that too :yes:

AHC
Aug. 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
Of course I'd like to see the equestrian events covered in prime time, but I think it's pretty amazing to be able to watch the live feed on the computer with no commercials. Especially this morning when the US team won show jumping gold! And if I had missed it, I could go back and watch later. That's good too!

While in theory I want more people to see how amazing these human and equine athletes are, mostly what I care about is being able to watch it myself. And I want to watch every horse, not just the half dozen the network chooses to show me. So I will definitely send a thank you to NBC for the live feed.

My guess is that the show jumping will be mentioned on the prime time broadcast tonight on NBC. Maybe they'll even show a round or two. Why? Because we won the gold, and as we know, they do tend to report on sports when we win.

gully's pilot
Aug. 18, 2008, 05:32 PM
My children and I were glued to the computer for eventing and for this morning's final showjumping round. I would so much rather watch the entire thing with no commercials or bone-headed remarks than ever see it on networks again.

Spooks
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
I think you folks in the US should definitely make yourselves heard, in time for the next WEG which will be held in Kentucky. There is just no reason why one of the networks can't cover that event. CBC does do a great job here - they show all of the big events at Spruce Meadows all summer, plus the Royal Winter Fair, and their affiliate Bold has 100% WEG and Olympic coverage (also covers Spruce too) with really good commentary as well.

I think if I had to listen to Bob Costas cover equestrian events I would watch on mute. Even the NBC commentary for the opening ceremonies was a disgrace to broadcasting.

lms
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well NBC does want to show an interest in horse sports...maybe not as much as beach volleyball or trampoline but.....see the press release on 2010 WEG

05/01/2008

LEXINGTON, KY - The World Games 2010 Foundation and NBC Sports today announced NBC as the official network broadcast partner for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, which will be held at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY from September 25th to October 10th, 2010.

The Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games will be the largest equestrian event ever held in the United States, and will be America's largest spectator sporting event in 2010. More than 800 athletes and 900 horses from 60+ countries will compete for eight world championships in equestrian sport.

NBC's coverage of the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games represents the largest major network broadcast of equestrian sport in U.S. television history.

NBC Sports will provide six hours of televised coverage during three weekends across the sixteen days of the Games. The programming will include coverage of the world championships in each of the eight equestrian disciplines of the Games, as well as coverage of opening and closing ceremonies and other features surrounding the event. Additionally, NBC Sports holds the digital rights for the event, making it available on multiple platforms including mobile and live streaming on NBC Sports.com.

"NBC Sports is thrilled to be the broadcast partner of the world's most prestigious Equestrian event," said Jon Miller, Executive Vice President, NBC Sports. "By devoting six hours over three consecutive weekends, in addition to our digital rights, we will bring viewers comprehensive coverage of the biggest event in the sport of Equestrian."

"NBC's historic commitment to the 2010 Games is a significant milestone for equestrian sport and for the World Equestrian Games, and we are very enthusiastic about their decision to devote such considerable coverage to America's largest spectator sporting event in 2010," said World Games 2010 Foundation CEO Jack Kelly.

The Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, to be held at the Kentucky Horse Park September 25-October 10, 2010, are the world championships of the eight equestrian disciplines recognized by the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI), and are held every four years. The Games have never before been held outside of Europe; nor have all eight disciplines ever previously been held together at a single site— both firsts that will be achieved at the Kentucky Horse Park. The 2010 Games are expected to have a statewide economic impact of $150 million, and current sponsors include the Rolex Company and an unprecedented $10 million title sponsor, Alltech. It is anticipated that more than 600,000 spectators will attend the 16-day competition.

poltroon
Aug. 19, 2008, 03:06 AM
NBC has also been covering Rolex for the past few years, and some network (is it NBC?) has also been covering the World Cup when it comes to Las Vegas.

LexInVA
Aug. 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
I hope they are gonna be shooting and broadcasting it in HD. It's seriously pathetic and inexcusable that events like Rolex are shot by production companies using cameras almost as old as I am. When I read that they were broadcasting the last Rolex in HD, I was thinking, okay this is a good thing. I turn it on and what the **** do I see? The 4:3 SD feed with NBC borders upscaled to 1080i. :mad: It's not hard to shoot HDTV footage and crop the video in realtime for SDTV. They do it for soccer, football, and many other sports.

JSwan
Aug. 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
Lex - I'm not up on all this technology stuff.... but WEG is going to be after February 2009.... and we're all supposed to have our TV's upgraded or some such nonsense - because everything is going digital.

So... though I don't think that really affects the method of taping/filming, is it possible crews are upgrading their equipment as well? Because I was under the impression that the quality of image is better with digital/HD, in which case pretty everything is going to look like doo doo unless they upgrade.

Could be off base - just speculating.....

LexInVA
Aug. 19, 2008, 04:11 PM
Lex - I'm not up on all this technology stuff.... but WEG is going to be after February 2009.... and we're all supposed to have our TV's upgraded or some such nonsense - because everything is going digital.

So... though I don't think that really affects the method of taping/filming, is it possible crews are upgrading their equipment as well? Because I was under the impression that the quality of image is better with digital/HD, in which case pretty everything is going to look like doo doo unless they upgrade.

Could be off base - just speculating.....

Well, the information is kinda fuzzy regarding the WEG. The stuff on the website implies that it is being broadcast globally though NBC is simply getting footage cobbled together and broadcasting it. That means that some production company is going to be shooting the games so it will be in whatever format they shoot it in. They haven't released any specifics about the production company and it's possible they haven't chosen one yet. :( The thing about the 09 transition that people don't understand because of the marketing of it is that it's not an actual transition to HD broadcasting. It's just a transition to all digital broadcasting. Major networks will be broadcasting in HD but content will continue to be a mix of SD/HD across the board until they start shooting everything in HD. News and other live network content will continue to be SD for at least a few more years because live broadcast studio cameras are huge/expensive. :cry:

Frank B
Aug. 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
...CBC does do a great job here...
Agreed 110%! When the US mass media isn't pushing it's collective political agenda, it's offering such programming milestones as Judge Judy and Bevis & Butthead!

Wellspotted
Aug. 20, 2008, 03:15 PM
I think you folks in the US should definitely make yourselves heard, in time for the next WEG which will be held in Kentucky. There is just no reason why one of the networks can't cover that event. CBC does do a great job here - they show all of the big events at Spruce Meadows all summer, plus the Royal Winter Fair, and their affiliate Bold has 100% WEG and Olympic coverage (also covers Spruce too) with really good commentary as well.

I think if I had to listen to Bob Costas cover equestrian events I would watch on mute. Even the NBC commentary for the opening ceremonies was a disgrace to broadcasting.

I have been watching a lot of the competitions on mute. The ceaseless chatter (yes, chatter) of the commentators was giving me headaches.

Last night a woman was in the studio with Bob Costas (sorry, I don't know her name) talking about kite-flying in China. She said that the Chinese had invented gunpowder, paper, and kites. Bob Costas replied, "Who knew?" I thought, "Well. Bob, honey, if you didn't, you need to go bone up on your knowledge of Britain before the next Olympics." I admit I was embarrassed for him and by him, but I also didn't like his attitude of not even acting informed and interested. Sometimes he doesn't seem to me to take a serious interested in his subject matter.

And OK, as long as I'm venting ... am I the only person who was irritated that for 2 nights now NBC has not been doing live coverage in PrimeTime? I had been looking forward to watching more the gymnastics live, only to find that they were broadcasting a day late, and so I read on Yahoo! that Shawn Johnson had won the gold before I even got to see the competition on TV!

As for those people who prefer watching live streaming video on your computers, I don't have that capability, so I am one of the people who wants NBC to cover more equestrian events and cover them live. Today I was at the library, which has superduper high-speed computers, and I couldn't watch any of the videos there! And I really wanted to see Anky's nonhalt for myself!