PDA

View Full Version : Beach volleyball...

EllenAspen
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
Prime time coverage of beach volleyball every night. How can that be more exciting than equestrian...I'm sorry!!!:eek:

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
I was just grumbling about that, myself. Sheesh, how can they make beach vollyball last so many nights?

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
They play nekked. <shrug> You want to compete with that?

:winkgrin:

SR Rider
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
Funny to see this thread..I just emailed NBC regarding this...made a comment that perhaps if our riders rode half naked that we might get some coverage. All this air time for so few atheletes....

Made a comment that I thought it was time for "fair and balanced sports" coverage, but
until then I would watch another station.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
Funny to see this thread..I just emailed NBC regarding this...made a comment that perhaps if our riders rode half naked that we might get some coverage. All this air time for so few atheletes....

Made a comment that I thought it was time for "fair and balanced sports" coverage, but
until then I would watch another station.

Lets be honest most hunter/jumper riders think watching dressage is like watching paint dry and I wonder how many dressage riders would watch the show jumping.

FMulder
Aug. 14, 2008, 03:54 AM
Yes, but who'd have missed virtually naked women running around sweating on sand...........................more importantly, I could have died yesterday when I was the match up between............................RUSSIA AND GEORGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm amazed they were using grenades instead of a ball.

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Yes, but who'd have missed virtually naked women running around sweating on sand...........................more importantly, I could have died yesterday when I was the match up between............................RUSSIA AND GEORGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm amazed they were using grenades instead of a ball.

War is between governments not people:(

2 tbs
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:48 AM
Although I totally agree and had my share of grumbling the last oh what week now? about all the coverage on nekkid beach volley ball, I have to admit we are getting access to more Equestrian than ever.

Some may not, and that's unfortunate, but for those that get Oxygen, we are getting pretty much an hour and a half every night. Summer Olympics of the past have shown us highlights at best or maybe some middle of the morning half hour coverage with only a couple riders. (Athens showed us a good bit I suppose but I believe it's about equal to what we have now - prior to that we got much less).

Then we have live streaming video. Again, not optimal, as they are mostly riding at night which means we have to watch during the day and let's face it- most of us work during the day either without access to a computer or a job that allows streaming video (I hate my job for many reasons and this is one of them-at least for the olympics, after that I could care less if I have access at work;)).

Again though, it's there. It will only get better in years to come (I hope!). I for one am thanking them for showing what they have-and asking for more but not complaining about the other stuff. I just turn off the nekkid waterless sports. Ratings speak very loudly to the folks at TV stations (I live with someone who works for NBC - we have had this conversation ever time I start to grumble). If I don't watch, I speak louder to the right people.:)

On a supportive note, you have to admit if you've caught any of the volleyball, our mighty girl duo has been kicking some serious butt out there:D

Maude
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:22 AM
I cannot believe that there is even an Olympic sport like Beach Volleyball. Barefeet, sand and unflattering bikinis. Seriously, come on...

caffeinated
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:51 AM
On a supportive note, you have to admit if you've caught any of the volleyball, our mighty girl duo has been kicking some serious butt out there:D

They really have :) I don't mind the beach volleyball so much, really, it's one of the few sports I can watch with the BF that I actually like and he doesn't grumble about, LOL

Frank B
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
Oh whine, whine, whine! Do I detect a bit of jealousy of those athletic young ladies scurrying around on the sand?

We're getting better coverage of Equestrian than we've ever had. Put on your Big Girl Panties(tm) and deal with it!

I'd be overjoyed if they allocated 1/10 of the time to sailing and shooting that they've given to Equestrian!

Nikki^
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
Also if you guys missed the Dressage/Jumping/Eventing events during the day you can always see them again on the rewind on the NBC website.

I think the Show Jumping Finals will be on prime time especially if we are in favor of getting the gold. That would be so awesome to watch live in HD. Let's hope our team kicks it into gear. :D

DLee
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh whine, whine, whine! Do I detect a bit of jealousy of those athletic young ladies scurrying around on the sand?

Typical reaction. :rolleyes: I want to know where the speedos are on the men? Double standard!

magnolia73
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
The beach volleyball team has been undefeated in something like 95% of their matches for the last 4 years. Those two really do dominate their sport- that may be why they get coverage. (well, that and their lack of actual body coverage).

pony grandma
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
And it's the shake of my head :no: when they call the female gymnasts the "Women's team!"

marta
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
i'd love to see shooting and team handball (live stream at 10 a.m. doesn't make for much of work productivity).

instead i spent about an hour the other day watching synchronized diving... how did that ever qualify for an olympic sport? is diving by itself not enough?

Hunter Princess
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
I enjoy watching the synchronized diving actually...but to each his own.

Personally, I can't stand the fact that ping pong is an Olympic sport.

flshgordon
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
Typical reaction. :rolleyes: I want to know where the speedos are on the men? Double standard!

um.....swimming? diving? water polo? There are enough speedos on the tv at night to blind me! :eek: I'm glad when they finally pull up their competition "skins" in swimming so I don't have to look at little muffin top butt cheeks over teeny speedos :lol:

Speedos just don't do it for me!

Nomoreusernames
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
O.K., explain the televising of ping pong and badminton... The speedos are in men's diving. Boy, were the women's gymnastic outfits unflattering.

HJALO
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Lets be honest most hunter/jumper riders think watching dressage is like watching paint dry and I wonder how many dressage riders would watch the show jumping.

Oh, I don't know. I love watching the dressage and I'm a H/J rider. I think it's just beautiful. Makes me want to switch disciplines. ;) although, I guess it wouldn't be a way to get away from the biased judging! Now that's something both have in common.

WhiteCamry
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:17 PM

Try the diving competition.

Libish
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:15 PM

We're getting better coverage of Equestrian than we've ever had. Put on your Big Girl Panties(tm) and deal with it!

I'd be overjoyed if they allocated 1/10 of the time to sailing and shooting that they've given to Equestrian!

I totally agree.

I love watching the beach volleyball - those ladies rock!

caffeinated
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
O.K., explain the televising of ping pong

I like ping pong :uhoh:

I think that sports a lot of people have access to, or have played, are the ones that are more likely to be on TV (and I kind of think that's fine). :)

danceronice
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:00 PM
Try the diving competition.

I was about to say, wither Speedos on men? Three words: men's. Synchronized. Diving. I know nothing about diving and I enjoyed watching that.

And I would totally watch badminton. I love badminton.

Sabine
Aug. 14, 2008, 04:18 PM
I guess I'll be the lone ranger here- but I love watching beach volleyball...of course I am prejudiced as I am also the mom of an aspiring serious volleyball player- whose coach happens to be the same gentleman coaching our lady beach volleyball team in Beijing...it's a very tough, extremely athletic sport...I can vouch for that!

Foxtrot's
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
teeny, tiny fact - the sides of the bikini bottoms can be no less than 7cms!

FarnleyGarnet
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:18 PM
Ok I'll jump in and defend the beach volleyball coverage too.

I'm not a big fan of the sport in general but come on guys... Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh are 2 of the best athletes at the Olympics... and they're American. :)

Beach volleyball is a pretty new to sport for the Olympics. They are the only team EVER in beach volleyball to defend an Olympic medal. If I remember correctly they've only lost one match in the last year. How many other athletes can say that?

Sure they're getting coverage because they're in bikinis. It's also a pretty easy game to watch and keep score. But remember that they're also getting coverage because they are the best of the best.

Fallbrook
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
According to my co-workers, this slide show entitled "cracking the code" perfectly explains why B. VB is more popular than Equestrian events. You have to see all the slides to fully appreciate the comparison

http://www.nbcolympics.com/beachvolleyball/photos/galleryid=122861.html

bird4416
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
According to my co-workers, this slide show entitled "cracking the code" perfectly explains why B. VB is more popular than Equestrian events. You have to see all the slides to fully appreciate the comparison

Surely, one of those women is named Sandy Cheeks. :)

Peggy
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:34 PM

And to think that riders obsess about VPL.

WRT the prime time coverage, I just wish the gymnastics came on earlier: 11pm-1am is kind of late when you're supposed to be on a horse at the barn an hour away by 7am:sleepy: I've been using most of my available digital neurons to "tape" the equestrian but I think I'll break down and record the gymnastics tonite so I can get to bed at a better hour. Then, to add insult to injury, it's not actually live on the west coast, despite what it says on your TV.

pony grandma
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:41 PM
According to my co-workers, this slide show entitled "cracking the code" perfectly explains why B. VB is more popular than Equestrian events. You have to see all the slides to fully appreciate the comparison.http://www.nbcolympics.com/beachvolleyball/photos/galleryid=122861.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: What you guys won't come up with! Super dooper researchers that you are. Internet info junkies!

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:54 PM
I love the live streaming of the horse events but, honestly, the rest of the coverage, the admittedly small bits we have seen, is leaving me cold. And NBC's commentary on China is embarrassingly juvenile. Really, people getting all shivery over different cuisines, as one example, is just ridiculous and demonstrates a real lack of depth or interest in cultural differences.

The good news is that there does seem to be something for everyone. If you don't love the horses, there's beach volleyball, and if sand up your butt doesn't turn you on, well, there's syncronized diving to enthrall you and dislodge that irritating sand. :yes:

akrogirl
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
Oh, I don't know. I love watching the dressage and I'm a H/J rider. I think it's just beautiful. Makes me want to switch disciplines. ;) although, I guess it wouldn't be a way to get away from the biased judging! Now that's something both have in common.

I love watching dressage, and even Mr. Akro likes it and can make informed comments :-) Heck, he has even participated in the mini judging clinics given at some of our local shows! He is not, however, a fan of beach volleyball ;-)

Coral
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:24 PM

Wow, that might be the most amusing thing I've seen all day. The fact that NBC devotes an entire slide show to that is just hysterical. :lol:

DLee
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:26 PM

I seriously need some more self tanner. :yes: A smaller butt would be nice as well. :lol:

I actually like the beach volleyball too. But I still think the guys in the sand should dress more accordingly with the women. :D

Beezer
Aug. 15, 2008, 01:50 AM
When equestrian sports have the kind of ratings and sponsorship and name recognition that beach volleyball has, it will be in prime time on the network. And doubly so if the U.S. wins the gold. ;)

Until then, join soccer, cycling, rowing, boxing, shooting, fencing, yadda yadda yadda in the specialized sports that everyone rants and raves is under-covered. And soccer is the world's most popular sport!

I've said it before elsewhere: There are many, many events that are going uncovered (do you really think that every gymnast in every event is being shown? Or every swimming event?). But the web is your friend. If you're in the minute minority that cannot get the online coverage, that's really not NBC's fault. ;)

countingstrides
Aug. 15, 2008, 02:17 AM
As a natvie SoCal girl, I have to give my beach VB gals their props. Misty and Kerry have the best personalities, and they kick @$$! I have really been enjoying all the coverage, beach VB included.

Chief2
Aug. 15, 2008, 04:55 PM
Not having cable or a MAC capable of receiving live stream, I watch the Olympics on network TV. The only things we are getting are the sports popular in the US and that the US is consistently in the medals for. Talk about a slanted perspective!

So, I took a tip from a poster on another thread and went up on the BBC website today to see photos of all the sports going on that we haven't even HEARD about! THEN, I felt like I was really watching the Olympics! That is where I'll be going for my photos from here on in, I guess. Thanks! :)

ETA" As for Speedos on the guys riding horses...eewww!