PDA

View Full Version : Dressage has begun

Pages : [1] 2

wildswan
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
So any one up watching and ready to comment?

Lamma70
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:35 AM
I'm up, but not sure if I am really up to commenting too much! :)

Although...after the first two rides, it seems like they may be judging pretty harshly today. I thought the first Dutch rider would have gotten higher than a 69 (although not a horrible score), and Daniel Pinto would have gotten higher than a 63...but what do I know??? I will be curious to see how Courtney King does.

Lamma70
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
But...after the third rider has received a 60...I think they are judging fairly in comparison to the first two riders.

Wow...it's even more amazing to watch these dressage horses after watching eventing dressage. Not that they were horrible, but I just love watching high level dressage.

2hsmommy
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
No comments from this peanut, I'll just sit back and enjoy!!

fernie fox
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think Nadines score was a little conservative,,,but she was the first ride.

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:53 AM
It's interesting that they did not roll the centerline for the GP dressage like they did for the eventing.

(And someone needs to move that leaf from the camera at B!)

NRB
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:02 AM
anyone have the order of go?

LD1129
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:03 AM
Im stuck at work and not able to watch please keep the Dressage info coming :D

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:04 AM
anyone have the order of go?

Here you are:
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/EQ/C51DB/EQX001900.shtml#EQX001901

Raji
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
Comments PLEASE !!!! for those of us with dial-up and no cable :-(
or stuck at work. Can we make this thread like the live thread on eventing?

Lamma70
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:14 AM
Heath Ryan with Australia is in the ring now...he used to event apparently.

Lamma70
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
The Japanese rider just went and scored a 59. I missed the ride though. Was it that bad of a ride???

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think it is being judged very, very fairly. A 59 for the Japanese rider-generous.:no:

not ready to be there. good effort, but not ready to be there.

wildswan
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's being judged very fairly relative to each other. Wish they didn't keep panning to horse and rider's head during the walk though. Alnd I think it's a little hard to judge from here given how they keep switching angles and sometimes we don't get the best judging angle. I think Leslie's test started out weak (it appeared to me the horse was behind the leg), but as a credit to Leslie, I think it improved as she went along.

East Coaster
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:28 AM
Leslie Reid of Canada just finished with a score of 59.750%. Orion appeared very aware of his surroundings.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:29 AM
she was just trying to survive.

god bless em both she did the best she could, orion sure showed some class to listen to her, he was absolutely terrified.

i think we will see a lot of low scores today...

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hans Peter and Nadine did have a ride without mistakes. However he had some minor points in the Piaffe and the transitions from Piaffe to Passage.

Nadine's extended gaits must have been scored very high, and the half passes were very good. And I don't think we get to see such wonderfull flying changes anymore dureing this competition.

Leslie Reid just finished with a score under 60%.

I think that the judges had brought themselves into problems. Scoring HP and Nadine 69.625% (imho 3% to low) will leave them no much space to go up.
The lesser riders are suffering from this. Which is BTW very common when one of the better riders and horses have to start as #1 combination.

After the break we will know a little bit more.

Theo

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
I came in on the third ride. Was a bit dissappointed with the lusitano but nice, calm ride (too calm probably).

Realy enjoyed watching Patrick Kittel. Lovely ride. Nice harmony.

fernie fox
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
It's driving me nuts.

I really like to see the walk.

The judging is great, the subdued rides are not getting such good marks.

I really feel for the first rider[horse was Nadine],He did deserve a much higher score.

I love the camera angle on some of the movements,I am surprised at the uneven push from behind on a few of these horse.

They are not lame by any means,just uneven.

JMHO.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
the mouth wasnt quiet...oh god no....cheerleaders....

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree Nadine's score was quite low. The horse was lovely.

How in the world did the Japanese rider get a 59? She walked between trot transitions in the corners... her canter work saved her, I guess. She clearly was not riding at an Olympic level. The horse seemed rather a nice packer, however.

I was surprised at Heath Ryans score of 62 ... the horse was a little behind the bit but it wasn't that bad. :confused: Perhaps I missed something ... he was flicking his hind feet out in a strange way.

I was enthralled by the Portugese rider on the black stallion .... oooh. So much eye candy early in the AM!

lxt
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
Heath Ryan with Australia is in the ring now...he used to event apparently.

Still does - he fell at Rolex last year and broke I think a collarbone? and then went and won a CDI in Sydney the next weekend. Heath is well known for his strong opinions, generosity, and riding umpteen horses at the top levels of both eventing and dressage. He rode very quietly today, looked nervous.

quietann
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm more of an eventing sort, but watching this is quite enjoyable.

If the horses are not lame behind (and a few of them certainly look that way to me), what is making their push-offs uneven?

BTW -- I can't tell. Did they settle the issue of the Jumbotron one way or the other?

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:40 AM
It's driving me nuts.

I really like to see the walk.

The judging is great, the subdued rides are not getting such good marks.

I really feel for the first rider[horse was Nadine],He did deserve a much higher score.

I love the camera angle on some of the movements,I am surprised at the uneven push from behind on a few of these horse.

They are not lame by any means,just uneven.

JMHO.

What struck me the most is the fact that so many riders are already tired and sweating half way the test. As i stated before the horses seem to have adapted the temperatures and humidity much quicker than the riders ;)

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:41 AM
The IM commentator for NBC said Ryan was the assistant coach for the Austrailian silver medal eventing team this year.

TeddyRocks
Is the guy that is announcing the same guy that does the horse show here in the US, mainly the hunter/jumper shows, in Wellington and Tampa etc? Just sounds very familiar. What is his name?

Go USA... Good luck Courtney!!!

Forte
I thought that the score for the Japanese rider was pretty generous. She did have a very nice seat though, and I'm sure has lots of potential for improvement. A shame about Leslie's test. I thought she roder like a genius given how freaked out the horse was. Does anyone know if he really used to be a jumper? I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would buy a Jazz son for a jumper.
My favorite horse so far has been Floresco. He could be more active behind, but what a lovely ridable looking horse and beautifully ridden as well.

wildswan
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:45 AM
Is the guy that is announcing the same guy that does the horse show here in the US, mainly the hunter/jumper shows, in Wellington and Tampa etc? Just sounds very familiar. What is his name?

Brian OƇonnor

East Coaster
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
A shame about Leslie's test. I thought she roder like a genius given how freaked out the horse was. Does anyone know if he really used to be a jumper? I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would buy a Jazz son for a jumper.

The CBC commentators stated that Orion was a former jumper.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:47 AM

Are you talking about Peter Doubleday?

DownYonder
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
I agree Nadine's score was quite low. The horse was lovely.

Nadine? I thought she was in the second group - i.e., rides tomorrow.:confused:

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:50 AM
Clearwater was uneven in the half passes but i think he is just in a very bad mood and against the hand, it was not his best.

I haven't seen a lame horse yet, but I think the riders are really struggling with the venue, I think there is no ventilation, the distractions, it looks horrid in there... and I haven't seen anyone have a pleasant ride yet.

TeddyRocks
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
Liked Anne Van Olst's horse, Clearwater... VERY cute boy... But only scored a 67%... HUH? I didn't see the first ride but I thought that would have been closer to 69 or even 70%. What di I know. :)

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
Clearwater was uneven in the half passes but i think he is just in a very bad mood and against the hand, it was not his best.

I haven't seen a lame horse yet, but I think the riders are really struggling with the venue, I think there is no ventilation, the distractions, it looks horrid in there... and I haven't seen anyone have a pleasant ride yet.

I thought the venue was supposed to be so great?

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
it appears to be situated down in a natural depression or bowl so i doubt there is much air movement at all. all the riders are fit yet they look completely done in. and there is the tv.

boblet will have a better test i think.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
Clearly my plain straight-across browband is passe! Will need to go buy a droopy one. :winkgrin:

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:56 AM
Liked Anne Van Olst's horse, Clearwater... VERY cute boy... But only scored a 67%... HUH? I didn't see the first ride but I thought that would have been closer to 69 or even 70%. What di I know. :)

You are right, but this has to do with the fact that the judges have set their marks 3% to low with Happy and Nadine.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:57 AM
it appears to be situated down in a natural depression or bowl so i doubt there is much air movement at all. all the riders are fit yet they look completely done in. and there is the tv.

boblet will have a better test i think.

Yikes I feel for them I hate humidity:no: Hope they are drinking tons of water.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:59 AM
You are right, but this has to do with the fact that the judges have set their marks 3% to low with Happy and Nadine.

Who knows maybe they are seeing something that can't be seen on a tv or labtop?

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ok everyone close your eyes take a deep breath and say a little prayer for Courtney & Mythilus.

GO USA!!!

vahunter
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
there's also non-stop planes taking off - if we can hear it loudly on the internet, it must be very loud in the stadium.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
i think van olst was fairly judged. didn't look like a good day for him.

kemmer is reliable as usual!

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
Kemmer's ride will be hard to beat ... that was beautiful.

Forte
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
the commentators said that Orion used to be a jumper, but they were also wrong about his being a Danish warmblood, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong about him being a jumper as well.

TeddyRocks
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Kemmer's ride will be hard to beat ... that was beautiful.

Very good Piaffe Passage tour, and I really liked her changes... Nice boy... very well behaved at the finish too. I wouldn't have the guts to drop my reins. :-) hehe the bug eyes came out, but not a foot out of place as she left arena.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:14 AM
Wow the judges were in complete agreement on that one!!!:D

East Coaster
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:14 AM
Wow! The Russian horse Wat a Feeling is huge!

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
The Japanese rider almost lost it when her horse spooked after she dropped the reins.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
Wow! The Russian horse Wat a Feeling is huge!

He is big, and in my mind lacks some expression ... he's like a tank out there huffing and puffing (I know it's hot).

They just showed the rider standing next to him ... he must be 18 hands or she's really short.

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:17 AM
I LOVED Bonaparte... that was a beautiful test to watch.

The Russian horse bored me.

East Coaster
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
He is big, and in my mind lacks some expression ... he's like a tank out there huffing and puffing (I know it's hot).

I agree. His right front lacked something.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
wat a feeling is right, very overweight. MAN that horse was blowing after the test. i thought he was going to fall down.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oh my, does Redford have flies on his belly or is that piaffe? ;)

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
Oh my, does Redford have flies on his belly or is that piaffe? ;)

Little too much traning from behind with a longe whip, perhaps?

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
I've just started watching. (Missed Kemmer -- dang!!)

My only comment: Is it too much to ask that, after completing a very difficult Olympic GP test, these riders SMILE? The faces of the two I've seen are so stoic. Aren't they proud to have gotten this far? I swear this is one of Anky's greatest tools. SHE manages to look pleased even if the horse has spooked himself blind.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
Courtney and Mythilus

The judges partly agreed, however this was by far the best ride untill now !

Theo

TeddyRocks
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
Go Courtney!!!

70.417% !!!

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
OMG you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so exciting!!!! Wow one judge had her 1st and the German judge 5th....:(

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
Not a single mistake, but not enough.

FlightCheck
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
What a beautiful, harmonius test for Courtney and Myth...

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
Woohoo!!! Nice job, Courtney and Mythilus!!!

Nikki^
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
The player is messing up. It seems everyone got on when she was riding and I missed the ride. What score did she get?

LD1129
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
Way to go Courtney and Mythilus :D:D:D

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:41 AM
Not a single mistake, but not enough.

Ok I'm not watching but not enough??? come on she's started the U.S. off in 2nd place...I'm happy

yaya
Whoa, that Brazilian horse is way uneven behind in the passage!

Big step, little step, big step, little step...

And his hind legs are miles apart in the pirouette.

wildswan
Courtney & Myth's piaffe/passage transitions are starting to remind me of Nichole & Rembrandt.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:42 AM
The player is messing up. It seems everyone got on when she was riding and I missed the ride. What score did she get?

Not enough.

The ride of CK/M was super. And the Dutch and German judges were wrong with their scores.

Mythilus starts looking like his father (Ferro) more and more every day.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:43 AM
Mythilus was impeccably turned out .... he looked wonderful.

So far I have not cared for either of the Brazilian team's horses. I don't find them pretty to watch.

And not to be Tim Gunn of the dressage venue, but a white lined cavesson and a gold browband do not belong together.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:44 AM
Not enough.

The ride of CK/M was super. And the Dutch and German judges were wrong with their scores.

Mythilus starts looking like his father (Ferro) more and more every day.

Didn't the dutch place her 2nd? what was wrong with the score?

OOPS I CHECKED HE PLACED HER 3RD

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
Sunrise must have some serious flies too... for the whole test ;) I thought Courtney's ride was better....

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
Imke's horse's tongue is out flapping around (zig zags)

that score was a wee bit high.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
That's a really long-backed mare. Wow, a 70. Guess tongue flapping isn't too big of a deal.

Someone here explain why she beat Courtney? What was better?

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
Wow. I can't believe they placed Sunrise above Mythilus.

Tongue was flapping in the breeze on the zigzags, piaffes traveled, nowhere near as harmonious a ride as Courtney's.

At least 3 of the 5 placed Courtney ahead, but it wasn't enough.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:56 AM
Imke's horse's tongue is out flapping around (zig zags)

IT was like a flag! How could he get higher than King with all that tension?

I thought King rode conservatively but it was lovely.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:56 AM
That's a really long-backed mare. Wow, a 70. Guess tongue flapping isn't too big of a deal.

Someone here explain why she beat Courtney? What was better?

No, but look at the judges. Hmm, harken back to Greece.

Dutch Girl
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am glad someone else thought her back was long. I thought Sunrise looked like two different horses out there. How could the judges put her ahead of Courtney with the tail swishing and tongue flapping...:no:

Forte
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:58 AM
I thought Imke's score was a little generous. Between the tongue flapping and the tight neck I thought the score would have been high 60s. What do you guys think about her hind end and back? To me she looks like 2 different horses stuck together.

Ginger
Please someone tell me why Imke's ride was better than Courtney's???????

SnowFalen
I was definitely questioning Imke scoring higher than Courtney. Her test was so much more relaxed and fluid. That's why I jumped on the board really quick, nobody better to truly break it down :D

fernie fox
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:00 AM
Courtney rode very conservatively.

Wow,they are going to be great when she is ready to ride ".closer to the edge";)

Nice horse and rider.:D

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:01 AM
I am glad someone else thought her back was long. I thought Sunrise looked like two different horses out there. How could the judges put her ahead of Courtney with the tail swishing and tongue flapping...:no:

How could they put Courtney behind Heike Kemmer and Bonaparte ?

Theo

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
All I can think of is that perhaps King was just a little too conservative .... Sunrise was very expressive ... I am not saying that's right.

I thought she looked like a pissy mare to ride, but you have to admit, collecting a horse with that long of a loin connection has got to take some talent.

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
My $.02 is that the judges will choose the more expressive horse over the more technically correct, conservative ride every time. For example Salinero vs. Brentina... I think the more expressive horse gets high marks in overall impression, marks which tend to make up for specific problems within the test.

Still and all, I'm quite smitten with Sunrise and would happily add her to my broodmare band!

Forte
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
Totally agree that Courtney should have scored higher than Imke. Her test was conservative, but overall the level of throughness and engagement was better than Sunrise. I do think the judges were correct to put Bonaparte first though. Heike was really the only rider to take risks and ride boldly forward.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
The only things I commented on to myself during Courtney's test was that Myth triangulates in the piaffe and barely lifts his hind legs, and that the canter zigzags looked a little hectic.

Sunrise is a bit more expressive mover.

But I'm reaching here--I thought Courtney's ride was nicer to watch overall.

canyonoak
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think Sunrise/Imke were underscored.

Yes, tongue came out during zig-zag.

BUT the mare stayed working through her body, had the best piaffe I've seen her do, stayed in really good balance and expression, did better half-pass work than, say, Mythilus and was not as tight in the neck or body.

So far, Im a little shocked at the judging.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
Did anyone else think the Frenchy's, Boblet, piafes were the bomb? Haven't seen anyone else as fluid or light. I liked his test a lot.

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
I thought Courtney's ride was nicer to watch overall.

Me too. I much preferred it to Imke's. From a distance, Courtney and Myth resemble Anky and Salinero...same type of elegance and presence.

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
Also...having the live stream is WONDERFUL.

Thanks, NBC !

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:11 AM

BUT the mare stayed working through her body, had the best piaffe I've seen her do, stayed in really good balance and expression, did better half-pass work than, say, Mythilus and was not as tight in the neck or body.

Hmm, and I thought she was really struggling with the mare at times and going btv to hold her back, with lots of neck tension. Didn't think King had neck tension.

fordtraktor
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:12 AM
I agree about the zigzags, EH. Also, the extended canter was not very extended, and it took half the ring to get to the extended trot. But Courtney's ride was a pleasure to watch and I was expecting her to get a better score than Bonaparte, who was fine but lackluster. Of course, you automatically get three % points for being German, so perhaps the numbers were accurate.

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
The Spanish bred horses just don't do anything for me.

Jazzy Lady
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Nice to hear that Courtney trained that horse from nothing to GP. :) It was a beautiful ride.

Too bad about Leslie. I missed it, but that's a shame.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
canyonoak: I thought Imke was underscored

I thought she was over scored, LOL.

Novatel was wonderful. What a busy little horse, and what a neck!

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
The Spanish bred horses just don't do anything for me.

I am the opposite, the 12 year old in me loves the Iberian horses, they are princess horses! :) Too bad it was a mediocre test.

We mentioned this before but it has to be wicked hot out there, I am starting to feel sorry for the horses and riders, they seriously look like they are suffering.

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
where are you finding the individual judges' scores ?

Fantastic
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
Anyone else notice how China's Lina Lui on Pirouska sits crooked in the saddle to the left? Not a very impressive test. I was also surprised at how flat the horse moves. No suspension. No much jump at the canter.

It will be interesting to see what score the home town girl gets.

dressagetraks
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
On the NBC equestrian homepage, there's a thing just above the central picture, right next to "watch live" that says "real time results." It updates itself constantly. Marks from all judges are there.

Nice for those of us who can't watch the livestream. Keep the comments coming, please!

ceffyl
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/EQ/C73DB/EQX001900.shtml#EQX001901

Click on resutls at top left, then results on right and it brings up latest scores

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
Liked the Chinese rider. Thought the horse was mediocre but that she rode with grace and tact. When the horse stalled before the piafes, she didn't take her calf off and jab with the spurs but kept it on and encouraged - didn't to the piafe wiggle dance either!

DownYonder
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, nice ride from the Chinese rider. The mare lacks brilliance, but she looks like very obedient.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
Anyone else notice how China's Lina Lui on Pirouska sits crooked in the saddle to the left? Not a very impressive test. I was also surprised at how flat the horse moves. No suspension. No much jump at the canter.

It will be interesting to see what score the home town girl gets.

They gave her a 60, which was generous. I personally want someone to buy me that horse for a schoolmaster!

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:32 AM

Yes Imke was underscored but as predicted already some months ago it was the German judge Riexinger who placed her #6 and 3% under the other judges, but what else is new. Dutch judges like Jan Peeters and Wim Ernes knew how it worked at these kind of competitions. Ghislain Fouarge still has to learn a lot.

Theo

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
Currently in Hong Kong (10:30 pm their time)....

Temp: 84F

Humidity: 78%

Wind: 10 mph

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

(cliche of the day)

Fantastic
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:39 AM
Lina Liu is a nice kind rider and Pirouska would make definately make someone a nice schoolmaster.

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know who the Chinese rider trained with?

Gucci Cowgirl
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ok, I didn't wake up early enough to watch Orion and Leslie, but as a person who has ridden that horse easily a couple hundred times, I can attest to how much "fun" it can be to keep his attention. He is a typical Jazz, but has been getting better all the time. As far as I know, he was never a jumper. He did the stallion tests, and they have to jump a little for those, but thats about it. He's just hot and spooky, always has been.

Too bad. Just goes to show that this sport is extremely difficult, and you can't always expect the same things every time in the ring.

DownYonder
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:42 AM

Yes, the rider was crooked. And the mare is flat, but she is Anglo-Arab. They often do not have the brilliance of gaits we are used to seeing in top international warmbloods. I agree with another poster, though - I wouldn't mind having her as a schoolmaster!

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
Ok, I didn't wake up early enough to watch Orion and Leslie, but as a person who has ridden that horse easily a hundred times, I can attest to how much "fun" it can be to keep his attention. He is a typical Jazz, but has been getting better all the time. As far as I know, he was never a jumper. He did the stallion tests, and they have to jump a little for those, but thats about it. He's just hot and spooky, always has been.

Too bad. Just goes to show that this sport is extremely difficult, and you can't always expect the same things every time in the ring.

Anytime you bring an animal into the equation it can be difficult...I spoke to someone in Europe that is watching it on TV and she said it is soooooooo loud in that arena...I think all the riders should be proud.. The judges are being quite tough with their scoring and what's up with the German judge?

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
the 'schoolmaster' mare can go better.

Interesting - many Olympic riders making scores that would not qualify them to move up under the new Qualification program in USA.....

looks like Yagi just got told by Mr Dow Jones to let him do his job...

Gucci Cowgirl
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
orion doesn't mind noises - he is more of a visual spooker.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:52 AM

Interesting - many Olympic riders making scores that would not qualify them to move up under the new Qualification program in USA.....

I thought the same thing. :lol: Where on earth are the members of the DC FROM?

Ginger
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
Wow! fluid, harmonious rides are being rewarded! Emma had a lovely ride!!

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Japanese rider is painful to watch ....and her expression looks like she's about to pass out.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:59 AM

looks like Yagi just got told by Mr Dow Jones to let him do his job...

They don't have to move up anymore, because there is nothing higher than the GP :D

Forte
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
I think it's really great for the sport to see so many riders from non traditional dressage countries like China, Korea and Brazil so well represented in this competition. Hopefully we will see more of them in the future.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
um...she always looks like that. if only she would sit on the left side of the saddle sometimes too.

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
Speaking of expressions, I have to say that I LOVE it when riders show a bit of emotion. Hindle's ride was fantastic; it's so nice to see that she was very pleased with it herself. I find it very moving.

Can't stand these stoics. I mean, these riders have made it to the OLYMPICS and finished their tests. Granted, there are mistakes, but how is it they can't even smile the tiniest bit when they finish their tests?

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:04 PM
The Japanese riders make me think "if only I had enough money, and a second passport, I could be an olympian too!" Sigh. Just need to win the lottery. Couldn't look any worse.

I liked how the Korean guy scratched his horse's face and loosened the girth himself after his ride. Like to see the riders do the minimum check on their horses - even though I know how tired and distracted they are.

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
Re: commentating

Not a complaint...just a wish for better.

Is it not possible to identify a horse's breed or registry ?

Now we have an "Italian born gelding"

The rider from Brazil rode a Brazilian warmblood. Looked like a Lusitano or Andy to me....

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:11 PM

Interesting - many Olympic riders making scores that would not qualify them to move up under the new Qualification program in USA......Maybe they're actually using the rule book instead of scoring what "looks nice".

BTV and broken C3, the song of GP.

I think I preferred the eventing dressage.

Eileen

Edgewood
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
My $.02 is that the judges will choose the more expressive horse over the more technically correct, conservative ride every time. For example Salinero vs. Brentina... I think the more expressive horse gets high marks in overall impression, marks which tend to make up for specific problems within the test.

Still and all, I'm quite smitten with Sunrise and would happily add her to my broodmare band!
I agree with you Hansika. I think Sunrise had more expression that Mythius (but Courtney can pump it up for her next tests).

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
I don't think that's fair, hansiska. Some people are just quieter with their emotions. You can't judge people like that, I'm sure they care alot and have feelings....there is plenty of screaming on fencing....

springer
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
May I ask where you guys are watching the dressage? I have dish network and here in Missoula I don't see coverage starting til 4 pm! Yikes!

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
NBCOlympics.com live stream.

Roan
OMG, pole at the highest point! Quick, look 'cause you won't see many of those!

Eileen

skykingismybaby1
Watching on nbcolympics.com live feed.

East Coaster
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, last rider already!!!

Ember
Live feed on NBC ROCKS!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=eq1h-bj-sd34-081308-190502

Kwill
I liked the Italian's ride ... clearly I was the only one, however. I love those floppy ears!

It's becoming apparent that expression is very important today.

I was always told head bobbling was a no-no ... he did a lot of that. (I meant the rider)

And I am not happy at all with the IM commentary, have you noticed he is rather clueless?

I love Relampago. Even the person who doesn't go for Spanish must admit he's gorgeous!

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:19 PM
Relampago is a Lusitano? I actually like him! I wouldn't have guessed...

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:19 PM
Now, THAT was a GP ride.

Eileen

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
65%? Good god, get some glasses!

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
65 ... not super, but not bad.

The judging is baffling, but maybe we aren't seeing some things.

Mardi
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
Is that Nicho Meredith announcing ringside ? Sounds like him.

Wow - Relampago...beautifully done

lxt
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Yay! So happy for Hayley. He is a super horse, and I think only started GP this year.

Eyemadonkee
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Can't wait until tomorrow.......

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
the dutch judge appears to be swinging things.:D

relampago's rider is a student of german isabel werth.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
65 ... not super, but not bad.

The judging is baffling, but maybe we aren't seeing some things.

No, IMO they're still judging flash and pomp instead of correctness. That Lusi had a few errors, but he was far more correct than most of the other ten ahead of him.

WHy do I watch this crap? It just pisses me off. Sigh.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
the dutch judge appears to be swinging things.:DGet him over here, I'll show him what "swing" is. Grrrr.

relampago's rider is a student of german isabel werth.Yep and that explains a lot. Super horse, super rider. Should be in the top 5, IMO.

Eileen

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
None of the Iberian type horses seem to have scored well today.

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
Live feed on NBC ROCKS!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=eq1h-bj-sd34-081308-190502

I second that!! Fabulous

(***sssshhhhh, don't tell my boss I was watching***)

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:29 PM

Eileen

LOL, that's one of the first things I look for and you almost never see it, even among some of the biggest names in dressage. Its sad really.

Gucci Cowgirl
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:32 PM
No, IMO they're still judging flash and pomp instead of correctness. That Lusi had a few errors, but he was far more correct than most of the other ten ahead of him.

WHy do I watch this crap? It just pisses me off. Sigh.

crap? that's pretty harsh. how many Olympics have you competed in? Do you have any idea how hard these people work to get where they are?

nobody is perfect. nobody. that doesnt mean they don't deserve respect or admiration for all the GOOD qualities they have. one or two imperfect aspects does not a "crappy" horse/rider team make.

what was that saying? something about "if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all"..

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:32 PM
None of the Iberian type horses seem to have scored well today.

As a huge baroque fan and Lipizzan owner, the only one I would have scored well was Hayley. The others just weren't good representatives of the type and were lacking in classical training.

My 2 cents

Eileen

Mike Matson
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
For those that want to see what dressage looked like 24 years ago at the 1984 Olympics, I posted a YouTube video of Klimke and Ahlerich performing their gold medal ride. You be the judge of yesterday vs. today.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbqokuTzh8

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:34 PM
I second that!! Fabulous

(***sssshhhhh, don't tell my boss I was watching***)

I think it's so great we can see it live. I have been watching all week. I will still watch the TV coverage, but this is so much better without all the editing.

It's been fun chatting with the CotH folks about it, too.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
Can NBC get nothing totally right? Went to check out the scored (didn't watch them live, oops) and they cut off the final scores on the listings. Ugh.

Thought Relampago was good but he lost rhythm some times. Thought he was a bit sloppy in the zig zag but really nice over all. I thought the other Iberians had soso rides.

Some day dressage will be like western pleasure where it's all about the bling. Then we won't have to worry about proper scoring or not.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
crap? that's pretty harsh. how many Olympics have you competed in? Do you have any idea how hard these people work to get where they are?

nobody is perfect. nobody. that doesnt mean they don't deserve respect or admiration for all the GOOD qualities they have. one or two imperfect aspects does not a "crappy" horse/rider team make.

what was that saying? something about "if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all"..
Oh man, it's the Anky fan.

You have your opinion, I have mine. If you don't like the fact that I want to see riding and scoring by the rule book, that's your prerogative.

I'm not going to get into another mindless debate with you, so save your keyboard.

Eileen

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
Roan, I think you are getting a little too cathected.

Just because Gucci Cowgirl has not totally trashed some rider to your level of satisfaction, doesn't mean she is wrong about everything in the world. In fact, she has a damn good eye and a lot more experience than you.

Why don't you tell their riders that they are crap to their faces? That's a horrible, horrible thing to say. I think your concept of what the rules are, needs some corrections anyway. You go way, way overboard.

Everyone makes mistakes and no one's perfect, come on, for heaven's sake. It doesn't mean their whole training is for shit, one might point out this or that to sharpen one's own eye, but to say they're crap, God.

They just aren't as experienced as some of the others, each one has different weaknesses, strengths, sitting a little to one side, doing this, doing that, everyone has different things they do wrong or right.

It doesn't mean they're crap.

How'd you like to have someone say your riding is crap?

These people work very hard Roan. I don't think you've exactly devoted your entire life to riding dressage at the international level for the last 4, 8, 12 years like they have.

LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE!!!! LOL!

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
For those that want to see what dressage looked like 24 years ago at the 1984 Olympics, I posted a YouTube video of Klimke and Ahlerich performing their gold medal ride. You be the judge of yesterday vs. today.

Thank you, Mike!

That's one of my favorite videos and something everyone can aspire to -- ammie or pro. The day dressage goes back to the way it should be will be a happy day for the horses involved.

How about some vids of Absent et al, too?

Eileen

Gucci Cowgirl
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Actually, I am not an Anky fan. I don't agree with her training methods or particularly enjoy watching her tests. BUT I have an immense appreciation for the hard work, experience, knwledge and dedication that she brings to her sport.

I don't really understand how you can debate that, even if you don't agree with the specific training methods.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
SLC,

Tell Brittany she can go home and cry.

I hardly think that people who have worked all their life to get where they are would give a flying floogle as to what a crappy ammie rider has to say about them.

Thffpt! :winkgrin:

Eileen

Kwill
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
And here I was thinking we got thru an entire thread on the dressage with minimal flames ... LOL.

Well it was nice while it lasted.

That being said, even the worst rider competing rides tons better than I do, and one has to admire the dedication to get where they are.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:47 PM
Actually, I am not an Anky fan. I don't agree with her training methods or particularly enjoy watching her tests. BUT I have an immense appreciation for the hard work, experience, knwledge and dedication that she brings to her sport.

I don't really understand how you can debate that, even if you don't agree with the specific training methods.

Because I appreciate MORE the people who bring hard work, experience, knowledge and dedication to the sport that do it CORRECTLY.

Those are the people who are *not* getting scored well and that, well, that just sucks and it's highly unfair.

I say "crap" because I cannot learn from 90% of these riders. That's why I watch, to LEARN. I don't need to learn how to do stuff incorrectly, that's easy. I want to learn how to do it correctly.

Put some more Hayleys in the ring. Werth. A few others. Those are the people I appreciate.

I want to see more horses scoring high -- those that have the pole at the highest point, the nose IFV at the extended trot, PURE gaits and GOOD, sitting piaffes. Score them well and quit scoring hollow-backs, broken C3 and BTV, and I'll shuddup.

Eileen :yes:

petitefilly
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
I thought the venue was supposed to be so great?

It might be great in it's design, but it has horrible weather. It looks like it might be over 90~F right now in the evening. EVERY one looks beat up, wet with sweat, horses are breathing heavily, the Russian horse was near death at the end of his ride. I do not think ANY air is circulating, the stadiums pretty much close the area in bowl.

The rides are what I would call conservative, and it has to be the heat and humidity; no one can ride when they feel like fainting. JMHO

We'll see if the heat breaks.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks Mike! Do you know what his score was? Just curious.

Btw, WAZ talked about how Klimke warmed up for that particular ride at one of his clinics. He said he was incredibly impressed with Klimke's slow and easy warm up, taking his horse from walk to more energetic walk and slowly bringing him to collection (there were several warmup rings that they moved through and with each the horse was brought a little more together). On the vid, it was impressive how Klimke rode trot to extended trot for just a few strides as his warmup before going in. No piafe and passage outside the ring.

onceandfuture
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
Is the NBC Live Feed of the GP over? Waaa.

Equibrit
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
SLC,

Tell Brittany she can go home and cry.

I hardly think that people who have worked all their life to get where they are would give a flying floogle as to what a crappy ammie rider has to say about them.

Thffpt! :winkgrin:

Eileen

They're not the ONLY ones!

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
Is the NBC Live Feed of the GP over? Waaa.

go here http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=CT/sport=EQ/online.html

to set alerts for the next round so you don't miss it

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
And here I was thinking we got thru an entire thread on the dressage with minimal flames ... LOL.

Well it was nice while it lasted.

That being said, even the worst rider competing rides tons better than I do, and one has to admire the dedication to get where they are.

It won't be flamey long. I've pretty much said what I wanted to say . . . except for the fact that I would far rather ride like Ingrid Klimke than any of the top nine riders in this first half of the GP. Ten was Hayley and she was rad.

I think I learned more from watching the eventing dressage than anything in the GP thus far. Watching Ingrid's extended trot was a joy and showed me how it should be done. She was so fluid.

Eileen

petitefilly
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
where are you finding the individual judges' scores ?

I do not where they are on line printed, but if you watch the streaming video they are announced in the background. You have to listen and write them down. :P:)

petitefilly
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
They gave her a 60, which was generous. I personally want someone to buy me that horse for a schoolmaster!

<said of the japanese rider>

:):):):):) Stand in line! The line forms behind me. :):):):):)

Money is wonderful thing.

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks Mike! Do you know what his score was? Just curious.

I don't know what the score was but I do remember reading that it was the highest score ever for an Olympic winner as of that time, or something to that effect.

Love the harmony between Ahlerich and RK, none of this pushing/pulling on the rider's part that is so prevalent today and the horse is happy. Beautiful transitions, I also loved how Ahlerich's ears were constantly moving, he was so attentive to his rider. I was fortunate to get to see them do an exhibition at MSG one year. It was a thing of beauty to watch them.

Mike, how about a video of Nicole and Rembrant too?

Denali
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
I enjoyed watching the live feed this morning. Some lovely rides and I thought it was great to see riders from countries not usually on the international dressage scene.

Then I came and read this thread... and as usual, feel sick over why the hell I picked this as a sport to fall in love with. I'm sorry, but the catty side line critiquing is just gross. I thoroughly enjoy developing my eye through educational discussion, but this kind of chatter just makes me sad and discouraged.

Mike Matson
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
Elegante,

The total score for that GPS ride was 1504 but I don't know what the total for a GPS ride was in 1984. Maybe someone else can supply that info and provide a % score.

The judges were Schutte (Germany), Hall (Great Britain), Niggli (Switzerland), and Thackeray (United States).

FancyFree
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks SGray for the link.

canyonoak
well, the team competition is pretty much over, thanks to Riexinger.

So Germany, Gold; I think U.S. Silver, and Dutch fighting for bronze with maybe Denmark.

I cant wait for the rehash of judging at the next Global Dressage Forum.

et tu, Theo??

mp

Whether she works hard, is knowledgeable, dedicated etc etc or not isn't the point. It's that the riding (not just hers, but overall) doesn't seem to be judged by the correct standards. I see horses that are expressive, but also overbent and tense. I got dinged pretty good for that on my last test, which was TL-4. So don't ask about my abilities, OK? :lol:

Roan, I enjoyed the eventing dressage, too. Less potential among the horses, but more harmony between them and their riders.

I loved watching Ingrid ride in all phases. She is incredible.

fordtraktor
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
I love how forward Alherich is, and how evenly matched his movement is. Several of today's horses are glorified hackney ponies -- too much flash in the front, none in the back. I don't care for that look...might as well show Saddlebreds if you like that kind of flair. I can't believe it is a step forward when I can hardly tell the difference between a horse's trot and passage. Quaterback and his type will do more harm than good for dressage.

egontoast
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
geez

Are you guys going to do this every Olympics?

the " our fav was robbed !! " thing? It gets a little old.

Last time it was D.M. and the rest of the world did not agree with you.

And, no, I haven't seen the rides yet so you can jump all over me.

It was just a little deja vu all over again.:no:

Tanyanoel
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
There is nothing to click to watch the current shizzle, is it all done for the day already? It says it goes on until 10:30 and it's only 9?

Maude
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm really not interested in everyone's opinion and bickering. Does anyone have the results and scores and the placings? I have dial up unfortunately, so... Thanks.

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
scoring

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/EQ/C73DB/EQX001900.shtml#EQX001901

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
eggie,

I don't follow GP and I don't have a fav. I didn't have a fav in the eventing, either. I just want to see some correct tests and riding.

I didn't think that was going to be such a high expectation for an Olympic event.

Eileen

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think I learned more from watching the eventing dressage than anything in the GP thus far. Watching Ingrid's extended trot was a joy and showed me how it should be done. She was so fluid.

Eileen

Ingrid is very special but of course so is her background. It is too bad her father was not here to see it.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:18 PM

So Germany, Gold; I think U.S. Silver, and Dutch fighting for bronze with maybe Denmark.

et tu, Theo??

I think that it will be the same as so many of the past Olympics:
Germany Gold, Netherlands Silver, and the USA and Danish riders fighting for Bronze. For the UK-team it's a big lost that Carl didn't make it.

But : Let me put it this way : I had hoped that our Dutch judge was cut from the same wood as the German judge.

Theo

Maude
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
SGray, Thanks for posting the scores!

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ingrid is very special but of course so is her background. It is too bad her father was not here to see it.

Agreed! I would kill to have someone like him as my father.

Eileen

egontoast
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
I just find it interesting that people still seem to think that accuracy on the letter and conservative riding must always trump expression with a few mistakes.

It's not western pleasure. Accurate transitions on the letter without regard to expression is not the ideal. Expression is also rewarded.

That's what makes it so interesting for some of us. A fine line.

It's an exciting and wonderful sport.

The most submissive obediant horse is not necessarily the best.

Mozart
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:24 PM

Ingrid Klimke is my dream coach as well. In the category of "Mozart wins the lottery and suddenly develops some ability and has her pick of coaches" dream.

One of the commentators I heard said her mother Ruth Klimke is a former German National tennis champion, so she certainly has the background to be athletic and competitive. Never forget the influence of the dam line ;)

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:27 PM

What, the team competition is finished? Isn't there another round of team competition tomorrow? At least that is what is published on COTH's schedule: Thursday, Aug. 14: Dressage-Grand Prix team competition; medal ceremony.

And the individual competition (GPS) to start on Saturday.

Mozart
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
What, the team competition is finished? Isn't there another round of team competition tomorrow? At least that is what is published on COTH's schedule: Thursday, Aug. 14: Dressage-Grand Prix team competition; medal ceremony.

And the individual competition (GPS) to start on Saturday.

No, competition is not finished. More horses to come. I believe canyonoak means it is a forgone conclusion.

MelantheLLC
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
The rewind is up now. Got to http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/video/index.html

and choose WATCH: Dressage qualifier

Coreene
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well, bummer that this won't be the years for a Dutch team gold, but life goes on! And fab for Emma Hindle. :yes:

Mike Matson
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
The Dutch with two team riders today vs. one each for the Germans and Americans needed to slam the door shut with their scores. They didn't do it. Courtney did exactly what she needed to do as the first team rider - a conservative, well ridden test that scored 70%. She knew her job and rode every stride to get that score. Kemmer for Germany also did his job with a great ride for a 72%. Now the weight is on Anky but it may not be enough considering the quality of the remaining riders for Germany and the United States.

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:48 PM
No, competition is not finished. More horses to come. I believe canyonoak means it is a forgone conclusion.

Thanks so much but I find it hard to believe silver for the US is a forgone conclusion although that would be wonderful. What happened to the Dutch? I cannot watch at work unfortunately so I am totally dependent on comments from the BB.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:26 PM

Canyonoak was also pointing at the fact that the German judge Riexinger is consistantly marking the Dutch riders very low. Together with having the pole position, it will make it very hard for the Dutch team to aim for Gold.

We only hope that the Dutch judge may step into the shoes of the German judge and strike back. However knowing Ghislain Fouarge he is not that kind of judge at all.

As stated before the ride of Courtney and Mythilus was the best.

And a very nice tribute to the breeder of Ferro who died the day before he was heading for Hongkong to watch his babies ride at the Olympics.

J-Lu
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:34 PM

Of the Chinese horse, Piroschka...

As someone else said, stand in line! I LOVED this mare and would love to ride her. Her ears were relaxed and listening the whole time, and she looks incredibly easy to ride and like she has a very tolerant nature. I think the website info states she's an anglo-arabian. Too cool.

I liked that the rider didn't jab in the piaffe and personally, I agree with that 60%. I think her only real mistake was in the two-tempis and in the placement of things like the zig zag and the centerline. But the horse was pleasantly doing her job and was easy to watch. I would love to get a 60% in the Grand Prix at the Olympics. :yes:

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
Canyonoak was also pointing at the fact that the German judge Riexinger is consistantly marking the Dutch riders very low. Together with having the pole position, it will make it very hard for the Dutch team to aim for Gold.

I was wondering what the reference to Riexinger meant, thought it might be one of the riders. The biased judging is what I dislike so much about international level dressage although I realize it is not limited to only this discipline. It is a shame these riders who work so hard for this moment have to be subjected to such politics.

slc2
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
I've been thinking about it alot this morning.

What sets the Olympics apart from all other competitions is that alot of people get to go who wouldn't get to go alot of other top competitions. So we have our Courtney King/Dyes and we have our Eddie the Eagles.

Well, what's so bad about that? I am not really sure that is so bad.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:45 PM

et tu, Theo??

How can you say that when only one American rider has gone? We have no idea how Debbie and Stefan are going to do..

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:48 PM
I think that it will be the same as so many of the past Olympics:
Germany Gold, Netherlands Silver, and the USA and Danish riders fighting for Bronze. For the UK-team it's a big lost that Carl didn't make it.

But : Let me put it this way : I had hoped that our Dutch judge was cut from the same wood as the German judge.

Theo

Integrity is more important Theo and clearly the Dutch judge has it and the German judge does not...

FancyFree
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:00 PM
How can you say that when only one American rider has gone? We have no idea how Debbie and Stefan are going to do..

I agree! I can not wait to watch them. What a fabulous ride for Courtney King-Dye! Beautiful.

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was wondering what the reference to Riexinger meant, thought it might be one of the riders. The biased judging is what I dislike so much about international level dressage although I realize it is not limited to only this discipline. It is a shame these riders who work so hard for this moment have to be subjected to such politics.

Yes but this is reality. Look at how the German and Dutch judges pointed down Courtney and Mythilus. As an insider I know that the Germans and Dutch want to defend their castles. But as a lover of the dressagesport I know that we have to give other countries a fair chance (read honest judging) to have a piece of the cake. Untill today it's name-judging !!

Theo

wildswan
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:32 PM
I've been thinking about it alot this morning.

What sets the Olympics apart from all other competitions is that alot of people get to go who wouldn't get to go alot of other top competitions. So we have our Courtney King/Dyes and we have our Eddie the Eagles.

Could you please clarify the above comment? Did you mean Courtny and Eddie are both "wouldn't get to go" or at the opposite ends of the equation. I think I know, but want to make sure?

canyonoak
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
Look.

It is going to take 3 scores over 70 to medal.

Nadine got a 69. If Imke gets a 71, that average 70, the Dutch are OK.
But Riexinger goes LOW, and now the Dutch are below 70 average.

Both the Germans and the US have TWO rides tomorrow.

Courtney already got her 70+.
Brentina will not get below 70.
Ravel will not get below 70.

Elvis may get a 69 but then there is the monster, Isabell ( I use this term affectionately, as I adore Isabell's riding and horsemanship). She goes well after Anky.

No matter what Riexinger does about Anky...there are all the points to play with to ensure the Germans get gold. They don't need a lot of points, they need a decimal place.
Easy to do in such a subjective sport.

Depending on what Ravel pulls off--remember he goes last--the U.S. could conceivably outpoint the Dutch.

It all looks great on paper--everyone else was scored fairly correctly, albeit low.

I think it does nothing for the sport to give these low scores,and in fact, probably makes future riding stars look to other disciplines.

It is not that I so want the Dutch to win.
I want a fair playing field; I want to jump and down and root for personal favorites, and feel it is a contest, as the eventing turned out to be.

Sjef was right to complain about Riexinger at Rotterdam. For all the good it did.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:43 PM
Look.

I don't think you can be so sure...we have no idea how those horses will react in that ring they could blow up/come up lame or they could be fantastic and the German's could fall apart and maybe the U.S. will when Gold.. Look at gymnastics nothing is for sure until the fat lady sings..JMO or maybe you are right and the judging is that pathetic that no matter what some of these guys do they will win..SIGH..

Nikki^
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:52 PM

Eileen

Which horse and rider? We have the replay on now and I want to watch that test.

Thank you NBC!!! :D

BAC
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:59 PM
Look.

Sjef was right to complain about Riexinger at Rotterdam. For all the good it did.

I wish I could be as sure as you are but anything can happen and there is no guarantee those horses will score as you say. We will just have to wait and see (although I would be thrilled for us if US does get the silver medal).

Coreene
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
Look.

Elvis may get a 69 but then there is the monster, Isabell ( I use this term affectionately, as I adore Isabell's riding and horsemanship). She goes well after Anky.

No matter what Riexinger does about Anky...there are all the points to play with to ensure the Germans get gold. They don't need a lot of points, they need a decimal place.
Easy to do in such a subjective sport.

Depending on what Ravel pulls off--remember he goes last--the U.S. could conceivably outpoint the Dutch.

It all looks great on paper--everyone else was scored fairly correctly, albeit low.

I think it does nothing for the sport to give these low scores,and in fact, probably makes future riding stars look to other disciplines.

It is not that I so want the Dutch to win.
I want a fair playing field; I want to jump and down and root for personal favorites, and feel it is a contest, as the eventing turned out to be.

Sjef was right to complain about Riexinger at Rotterdam. For all the good it did.You're absolutely right.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:09 PM
You're absolutely right.

She very well could be and I would be beyond excited but you guys act like these horses are robots and they can't do anything wrong:confused: Unless of course you are saying the judging is that corrupt:sadsmile:

dressagetraks
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:29 PM
I agree that horses can be horses, but in the COTH coverage from this morning, there is a quote from a Dutch rider basically conceding gold to Germany and stating it will be a tussle with the US for the lower medals.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:54 PM
Which horse and rider? We have the replay on now and I want to watch that test.

Thank you NBC!!! :D

Hayley Beresford of Australia on Relampago, #203. Right near the end.

Eileen

freestyle2music
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
This whole judging saga isn't new. It bubbles to the surface during every OS, WEG and WC-Final.

We really have to go to a 10 judge system, in which the highest an lowest scores are scratched.

When there are math-guru's out there, you could start with doing this with the recent scores, and you will notice that it doesn't change anything in the placing of the riders, but you will notice that the gaps between the top 10 riders would be much lower.

Theo

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:14 PM
Who is Courtney King-Dye's trainer?

Eileen

wildswan
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:19 PM
Who is Courtney King-Dye's trainer?

Eileen

I know she started with Lendon Grey(sp), may still get a lot of help from her, but also Klaus, of course, and Steffen.

FullCircleTraining
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:20 PM
As a huge baroque fan and Lipizzan owner, the only one I would have scored well was Hayley. The others just weren't good representatives of the type and were lacking in classical training.

My 2 cents

Eileen

I haven't read the whole thread yet - I stopped with this post - but I had to agree with what everyone had been saying over the last page or so...

I happen to not be a fan of the baroque horses (in general). I wasn't impressed with any of them today and actually kept thinking the same thing Eileen just said - that they "weren't good representatives" and really were not helping the image of the baroque horse in competitive dressage... That is until I saw Relampago and Hayley Beresford. If I was going to have any of the Lusitanos we saw today, it would be him.

Beautiful, correct test. Expression. Fluidity. Loved his changes. The score should have been higher, IMO.

Roan
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
I know she started with Lendon Grey(sp), may still get a lot of help from her, but also Klaus, of course, and Steffen.

Thank you.

I watched her ride at the Washington International and she and her horse (same horse? Can't remember) just seem . . . different. . . here. Overall, I mean. Might be the conservativeness some have commented on, dunno. Wish I had more memory of her ride at WIHS.

Eileen

FullCircleTraining
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:27 PM
I can't believe it is a step forward when I can hardly tell the difference between a horse's trot and passage.

:lol: I actually caught myself thinking that several times, too... "Okay, so is that supposed to be trot or passage? Where are we in the test...?" ;)

Joanne
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:36 PM
I can't figure out the schedule. Is there supposed to be some more dressage on the internet tonight? The schedule I looked at said Wed. 8-13: 7:30 pm individual dessage and team dressage.

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
I can't figure out the schedule. Is there supposed to be some more dressage on the internet tonight? The schedule I looked at said Wed. 8-13: 7:30 pm individual dessage and team dressage.

streaming online tomorrow morning 6:15 am

remember, they are ~12 hours ahead of us and are competing at night under lights

DreamTime
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
Now usually I don't comment on these threads, just shrugging off the various sniper attacks. But here is my take as somebody who's German, living in the US, having ridden in my wild student days with Dr. Klimke, having ridden through I-1 on horses I've trained myself (or fixed), and still espousing Dr. Klimke's training methods. Rode with him last at the Equitana in Louisville, where I organized a dressage matinee with him.

Best seat of the day - without a doubt, Courtney King - just lovely. Best overall ride of the day - Heike Kemmer, piaffe actually on the spot (how many creeping ones did we see), super walk, risks taken (extended canter, kind of like Klimke on the 84 vid). Happiest athlete - Lancet with Emma Hindle - now he just looked content, his gaits were fluid (all three), ears were flopping. Sunrise - too tense, tongue problems in the zig-zags, behind the vertical at times, seemed broken in two at times - sorry, I thought score was high - she should have been behind Courtney King. Courtney King's ride was too conservative to do better, and the canter work was a bit flat (weakest gait of the horse). Extended canter, not much there. Liked Relampago - overall quite nice, maybe a bit underscored. Nadine and Gal - I actually liked better than Sunrise, less tension, but they were first pair, and that's literally the luck of the draw. The scores in the 50s deserved to be that....

Flamesuit on :-)

Carolin Walz
www.dreamtimefarm.com

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:40 PM

go back to the schedule
http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=CT/sport=EQ/online

and use the 'alert me' function for the events you want to see

Beezer
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
And the Dutch and German judges were wrong with their scores.

Cannot. Stop. Self. Must. Mark. This. Moment. In. History.

Theo said the **DUTCH** judge was incorrect! :D

Carry on. :p

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
keep in mind that the second half is tomorrow and Teams generally put their strongest competitors at end

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:43 PM
Cannot. Stop. Self. Must. Mark. This. Moment. In. History.

Theo said the **DUTCH** judge was incorrect! :D

Carry on. :p

ROTFLMAO:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Joanne
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks very much for helping out with the schedule!!!

SGray
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:52 PM
others helped me

just paying it forward

COTHers are a wonderful resource

Coreene
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:56 PM
Carolin, slight correction, it's Nadine and Hans Peter Minderhoud. Edward Gal is not competing.

Sabine
Aug. 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
keep in mind that the second half is tomorrow and Teams generally put their strongest competitors at end

This is not the case here as the starting order was determined by draw. The draw just didn't help the dutch team very much.

I do agree with Oakie's math- however only if the top riders of the Dutch/Germany/US are not more than 3 full points ahead of the field. If they are or if one of them is- this will mathematically clean up the lower scores...should be very interesting tomorrow...

mickeydoodle
Aug. 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
Courtney's ride with Myth was so nice and fluid- with a little more seasoning they are going to be amazing. Bonaparte was excellent today-very fluid and electric. Sunrise just looked tense, she had a great fluid test last year at the World Cup in Vegas and this was not of the same quality. Lancet looked great, nice test.

Brooklyn Born
Aug. 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
I thought dressage was on Oxygen channel now, but it's tennis! Where are you guys watching the dressage?

Equibrit
Aug. 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com

Brooklyn Born
Aug. 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the link!

vineyridge
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
Has the FEI looked at how figure skating addressed its judging scandals? :cool:

Because the mindset of the judges (per Theo) certainly seems to be the old figure skating disgrace.

ozjb
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
I have no comments, just want to say a big thank you for this thread!

I live in Australia. We have one channel broadcasting. Swimming is apparently the only sport being contested at the Olympics this year. I have seen EVERY heat of EVERY event. I have seen the Australians win medals over and over, in slow motion. In super slow motion. LOL

If an Aussie looks like they might win something, there is a quick cut to the performance and then . . . back to the pool!!!

Can't access the NBC site and while the Danish are also streaming, my so called broadband can't keep up. But, never mind, there will be DVDs, right?

Oh, we do have an ex-jockey who is doing the equestrian commentary. (We got to see some of the eventing as the Aussies were in medal contention.) The guy is totally clueless. It's so bad it's hysterical. The funniest bit is reading the Australian reaction to this guy. VERY, very funny stuff on some of the forums!

Will be checking in here to see how things are going!

Schiffon
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
I agree with DreamTime completely on Bonaparte, Mythilus, Lancet and Surprise.

Mythilus' piaffe was very active but I'd like to see him with a slightly slower tempo.

Not only was Surprise's tongue ugly in the zig-zag, the horse was horribly unbalanced. Zoom to the left, screech (ie huge half-halt), change, lean and zoom to the right, repeat. Yuck. I think she got a considerable number of "exposure" points for having had some high placings in Europe the last couple of years. Was the mare better then?

I just shake my head at those "poll highest" fanatics who preferred the eventing dressage. You have to look at the rest of the horse! Except for the top 15-20 horses, there were major problems in relaxation and harmony and the horse's muscular development showed these were long-term issues, not just that night. The reason their poll is high is because they are braced and hollow in the topline while the rider is pulling on them!

Forte
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
Am I missing something here? Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that the German judge is marking unfairly? He did place the German rider first, but so did 3 of the 4 other judges, including the Dutch judge. His scores for Minderhoud were well in line with the other judges. Yes, he did score Sunrise a bit lower than the other judges, but I think you could make a very good argument that a GP test when the horse's tongue is flapping around on several occasions is probably not deserving of a 70%. Even so, he was only about 2% lower than the average score.

whitewolfe001
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
Clearly my plain straight-across browband is passe! Will need to go buy a droopy one. :winkgrin:

LOL

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
Speaking of expressions, I have to say that I LOVE it when riders show a bit of emotion. Hindle's ride was fantastic; it's so nice to see that she was very pleased with it herself. I find it very moving.

Can't stand these stoics. I mean, these riders have made it to the OLYMPICS and finished their tests. Granted, there are mistakes, but how is it they can't even smile the tiniest bit when they finish their tests?

I don't think that's fair, hansiska. Some people are just quieter with their emotions. You can't judge people like that, I'm sure they care alot and have feelings....there is plenty of screaming on fencing....

I agree. Some people are reticent and shy about expressing emotion. Doubtless, every one of these riders cares a great deal about what they're doing. I think it's safe to argue that expressing emotion is a bit taboo in some cultures and that those cultures/ countries are represented in the dressage ring in Hong Kong.

But, as I said earlier in this thread:

Is it too much to ask that, after completing a very difficult Olympic GP test, these riders SMILE? The faces of the two I've seen are so stoic. Aren't they proud to have gotten this far? I swear this is one of Anky's greatest tools. SHE manages to look pleased even if the horse has spooked himself blind.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Anky may have managed to add this factor to her tests and is able to use it to her advantage. Think about it. Just as horse and rider are completing the test -- and the judges' eyes are still upon them -- the rider shows complete exuberance and enthusiasm. The crowd reacts. Can we be sure the judges do not?

I liken it to the smile on the face of the gymnast or figure skater at the end of the routine. Did anyone else notice that Hindle actually threw BOTH arms up, like a gymnast? Or that Schellekins-Bartels -- Anky's teammate -- also looked jubilant at the end of her test? When a sport has marks for overall impression, why wouldn't the expression on the face of the athlete/performer at the end of the test matter?

I honestly don't mean to be "unfair"; I'm really, really happy for every rider who's made it this far. I want to see them be pleased with themselves. When a rider doesn't show me this, I wonder if they're unhappy with their performance or suffering (understandably) from nerves. I wonder too if the judges may be left with the same impression.

dutchfan
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:15 PM
Nice to hear that Courtney trained that horse from nothing to GP. :) It was a beautiful ride.

Hunh? CKD just got the ride on Mythilus in 2005......

"King has been riding Mythilus for Malloch, an amateur dressage rider, for two years. "Richard Malloch had originally found and purchased 'Myth' as his own mount, but fully supported me riding him exclusively when it appeared that we had a good chance to make the Pan Am team last year," King explained. "Then in Europe this fall, when it was clear that 'Myth' is a candidate for the 2008 Olympics, Rich decided that he is actually a professional's international horse rather than an amateur's mount, so he decided to sell him, with the caveat that the new owners would allow me to remain the rider."

With support from Malloch, King and Mythilus made their show ring debut in Florida at the 2007 Winter Equestrian Festival, competing in small tour classes."

hsheffield
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
forte, I'm with you.

sunrise lacked harmony and was clearly being scored on previous rides rather than present performance. I don't think the german judge was out of line at all. in fact, I would argue that the judges who placed her so high are damaging the credibility of dressage.

naughty judges.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
forte, I'm with you.

sunrise lacked harmony and was clearly being scored on previous rides rather than present performance. I don't think the german judge was out of line at all. in fact, I would argue that the judges who placed her so high are damaging the credibility of dressage.

naughty judges.

I think everyone has opinions but to conclude the judges are damaging the credibility of dressage because they liked sunrise is a bit of a stretch. I know some upper level riders that would disagree with you..

yaya
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:33 PM
This is not the case here as the starting order was determined by draw. The draw just didn't help the dutch team very much.

The draw was by teams, and the teams each determined the order of their riders. As was said above, the teams put their strongest riders on the second day.

lark berry
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hunh? CKD just got the ride on Mythilus in 2005......

"King has been riding Mythilus for Malloch, an amateur dressage rider, for two years. "Richard Malloch had originally found and purchased 'Myth' as his own mount, but fully supported me riding him exclusively when it appeared that we had a good chance to make the Pan Am team last year," King explained. "Then in Europe this fall, when it was clear that 'Myth' is a candidate for the 2008 Olympics, Rich decided that he is actually a professional's international horse rather than an amateur's mount, so he decided to sell him, with the caveat that the new owners would allow me to remain the rider."

With support from Malloch, King and Mythilus made their show ring debut in Florida at the 2007 Winter Equestrian Festival, competing in small tour classes."

You are correct. Myth was already a
GP horse in Holland when he was purchased.

quietann
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
I just shake my head at those "poll highest" fanatics who preferred the eventing dressage. You have to look at the rest of the horse! Except for the top 15-20 horses, there were major problems in relaxation and harmony and the horse's muscular development showed these were long-term issues, not just that night. The reason their poll is high is because they are braced and hollow in the topline while the rider is pulling on them!

I suppose it's because I am a mostly wannabe eventer that I preferred eventing dressage. The horses have to be versatile, and the muscular development is very different as is the conditioning. (To me, a lot of the dressage-dressage horses look way too fat!) I watched eventing dressage looking for clues as to the horses' ridability in other phases -- are they balanced, quick on their feet, ready to move?

There's also a tradition of event horses needing to be able to "think for themselves." It is less now, with the loss of the long format event and more WBs coming into the sport. Many believe that the very precise control over the horse required in today's harder dressage tests is detrimental to the development of the horse's ability to get itself and its rider out of a tough spot over fences.

I watched this morning's tests with a friend who is a very experienced eventer, and here's an interesting tidbit: she *liked* the way Sunrise did her lead changes during the canter zig-zag. Said the horse looked like she would be very "catty" over fences, which is a compliment! Others on this BB say Sunrise was leaning too much. As much as anything, this says the two disciplines have very different goals.

Dressage-dressage is still interesting, but I dis see some horses that just look so wound up and unhappy during their tests. And some of them looked downright lame during the piaffe or some of the other more difficult moves.

That said, I have my low-level, little event mare in pure dressage training right now with a woman who was short-listed for the Olympics some years ago. It's largely to help her relax and use herself better, with the hope and expectation that she will be more relaxed over fences if she's working off her hindquarters and doesn't feel like she's going to fall on her face. The transition she's going through is really great to see.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
OK... Just love the partnership with Hans and Nadine and Emma Hindle and her mount. Nadine seemed happy in her work. Emma was joyous and appreciative, plus put in a beautiful test!

Courtney's ride was so harmonious - not brilliant, but harmonious.

pattir7
Aug. 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
Did no one notice the extreme tail swishing on Sunrise? I'm no judge so I won't comment on the quality of the movements... but the whole thing lacked harmony.. I thought... :confused:

wildswan
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
Thank you.

I watched her ride at the Washington International and she and her horse (same horse? Can't remember) just seem . . . different. . . here. Overall, I mean. Might be the conservativeness some have commented on, dunno. Wish I had more memory of her ride at WIHS.

Eileen

Yes, it could have been a completely different horse. I think she has 4 horses currently training at GP level. She has been competing both Idocus, Myth, and Rendezvous at least since last fall/winter, then qualified for the team at the Selection Trials in California on both Idocus and Myth. And here she is with Myth in HK, their first time in front of the "big audience" to quote EuroDressage (although she did compete Myth in Europe last winter at Paderborn, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt but maybe those are considered "little audiences"?:winkgrin:).

Way to go Courtney! Not to put her under too much pressure :D:D but I think in the near future (maybe not this Olympics but soon) she will be the US answer to Anky and Isabell.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:58 AM
Courtney rode Idocus at the Washington International last year.

As for Mythilus, imo, that pair gets better and better every time they go out. They are just amazing together.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
Way to go Courtney! Not to put her under too much pressure :D:D but I think in the near future (maybe not this Olympics but soon) she will be the US answer to Anky and Isabell.

Ditto.

nero
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:21 AM
I just find it interesting that people still seem to think that accuracy on the letter and conservative riding must always trump expression with a few mistakes.

It's not western pleasure. Accurate transitions on the letter without regard to expression is not the ideal. Expression is also rewarded.

That's what makes it so interesting for some of us. A fine line.

It's an exciting and wonderful sport.

The most submissive obediant horse is not necessarily the best.

I couldn't agree more. In the context of Dressage-as-a-sport the expression is an important aspect of the ride. Expression and flamboyance shouldn't come at the expense of correctness BUT the are not mutually exclusive, a horse like Warum Nitch for example has both and is a joy to watch. Bonaparte too. Expression can often be indicative that other aspects of training such as forward and engagement have been sastified.

Want to say LOVED Bonaparte's test - what a piaffe - but also liked that little Selle Francais horse, he looks like a dream to ride, so soft into the contact. Thought Aussie Hayley did a great job on a super horse that will be awesome once he's a bit stronger, but did not like Heath Ryan's test, horse was almost face planting, no forward, no engagement and was practically in a 1st level frame.

Looking forward to the big guns tonight, Go Aussies, Go Dutchies!

DownYonder
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:50 AM
Did anyone else notice that Hindle actually threw BOTH arms up, like a gymnast?

Emma Hindle is well known to be a showboat, anyway - she loves to play to the crowd. She had a very nice ride, though, and I have no problem with her score or placing.

I *am* a bit surprised, though, at Imke's score. It appears that only the German judge penalized her mare for waving her tongue around. I'm sure the other judges will claim that they also penalized her, but the rest of the test wasn't good enough to justify her score.

It *appears* that the judges have pre-determined that the Dutch team WILL finish in the top two, and they sure as heck aren't going to do anything to jeopardize that. And I say that as someone rooting for the Dutch - I would LOVE to see some other country break Germany's stranglehold on Team Gold at the Olympics.

Sannois
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
I don't know what the score was but I do remember reading that it was the highest score ever for an Olympic winner as of that time, or something to that effect.

Love the harmony between Ahlerich and RK, none of this pushing/pulling on the rider's part that is so prevalent today and the horse is happy. Beautiful transitions, I also loved how Ahlerich's ears were constantly moving, he was so attentive to his rider. I was fortunate to get to see them do an exhibition at MSG one year. It was a thing of beauty to watch them.

Mike, how about a video of Nicole and Rembrant too?

What a gorgeous ride and a harmonious pair.
Ahlerich and his ears say it all. I love when they are softly lopped to the sides. Awesome. ;)

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yes, it could have been a completely different horse. I think she has 4 horses currently training at GP level. She has been competing both Idocus, Myth, and Rendezvous at least since last fall/winter, then qualified for the team at the Selection Trials in California on both Idocus and Myth. And here she is with Myth in HK, their first time in front of the "big audience" to quote EuroDressage (although she did compete Myth in Europe last winter at Paderborn, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt but maybe those are considered "little audiences"?:winkgrin:).

Does she have any horses coming up that she has trained from beginning to Grand Prix?

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:29 AM

It *appears* that the judges have pre-determined that the Dutch team WILL finish in the top two, and they sure as heck aren't going to do anything to jeopardize that. And I say that as someone rooting for the Dutch - I would LOVE to see some other country break Germany's stranglehold on Team Gold at the Olympics.

I suppose to break Germany's stranglehold on Team Gold the other teams need to ride better.. Who knows maybe it will be this year;)

dressagetraks
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:32 AM
Has today's started yet? Comments?

reprise
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:37 AM
Today's has started. Does anyone have a link to the order of go?