PDA

View Full Version : Dressage has begun

Pages : 1 [2]

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
Has today's started yet? Comments?

New thread has been started but I don't know where everyone is...

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 14, 2008, 08:47 AM
There's a link to the order of go on the first page of this thread.

Forte
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hooray for Bernadette and Vincent! What a lovely ride.
Did anyone else think that the score for Elvis was a little generous?

wildswan
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:18 AM
Does she have any horses coming up that she has trained from beginning to Grand Prix?

I think she has trained Wyoming herself. And she has a young horse still in Germany that they just bought to bring up the levels.

bird4416
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:30 AM
What happened with Brentina? I thought she was better than her score reflected.

Forte
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
What a bummer Debbie! Definitely not Brentina's best day. Does anyone know if this great mare is going to be retired after these Olympics?

GiGi
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yes she is retiring B after the Olympics.

de echte critter
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
According to the NBC commentary, Brentina will be retired after these games.

BAC
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:21 AM
Look.

Courtney already got her 70+.
Brentina will not get below 70.
Ravel will not get below 70.

:no:

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
Yes she is retiring B after the Olympics.Should have happened long, long, long ago.

BAC
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
According to the NBC commentary, Brentina will be retired after these games.

It is planned for the next World Cup in Las Vegas. Her owners have a connection to the arena, I believe it is named after Mr. Thomas.

DownYonder
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
I suppose to break Germany's stranglehold on Team Gold the other teams need to ride better..

Obviously. :winkgrin:

Who knows maybe it will be this year;)

Well, so much for that pipedream. :lol:

DownYonder
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
My heart breaks for Debbie. They had to have known Brentina's soundness and fitness was iffy coming into this competition, but I'm sure there was a lot of pressure to ensure that they were on the Team - both for sentimental reasons, and because the powers that be wanted this very experienced pair there to anchor the team. What a huge bummer for Debbie, and also for Courtney and Steffen, who both turned in very solid performances.

But big congrats to the Danes - I had a feeling they would seriously be in the hunt for the Bronze!

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
It is planned for the next World Cup in Las Vegas. Her owners have a connection to the arena, I believe it is named after Mr. Thomas.That's just the ceremony.

BAC
Aug. 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
That's just the ceremony.

I know, that's what I was referring to.

snoopy
Aug. 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
Should have happened long, long, long ago.

I am glad someone said it....It does her and her accomplishments a huge
dis-service to go out on this note.

vineyridge
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
Are you guys saying that the judges at the Olympic selection competition in California gave Brentina the scores she needed to make the team. Because she did end up in Second Place, and both Steffen Peters and CDK had two horses in the top five. Quite a drop down to the next rider who was sixth, IIRC.

Fact is that Brentina won her right to go to Hong Kong in the arena--unless the judging was biased. If she had had a good day today, we'd have been a lot better off than if we'd sent number six or lower.

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
I am saying that I would have retired her several years ago. Look at Aachen. The horse has been hit and miss for several years now.

And this is nothing against Debbie; we were both riding at Hillsview Saddle Club in Santa Ana long before dressage was ever a consideration. I am very sad for her that it ended this way, but I am sadder for the US as a whole.

slc2
Aug. 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
The horses generally score much, much higher at the selections than they ever do during the competition they're selecting for unless the competition is in usa judged by american judges. The scores at the selection trials aren't an indication of anything.

egontoast
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
The horses generally score much, much higher at the selections than they ever do during the competition they're selecting for unless the competition is in usa judged by american judges. The scores at the selection trials aren't an indication of anything.

:confused:

Well, surely, in a bell curve sense, they give an idea of the relative merits of the Americans in order to determine who should go to the olympics out of the pool of contenders. If not, why bother with a selection process and, if not, are you saying the judges for the trials were incompetent or corrupt?

This should be interesting.

vineyridge
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:19 PM
slc, you misunderstand what I'm saying.

If Brentina is so creaky and past her prime, how did it happen that she managed to beat all but one horse at the selection trials? She must have done a hell of a job during those days to score what she did. She just didn't have it today, for whatever reason. Once on arrival in Hong Kong, the coach could have replaced her with the 7th place finisher in the selection trials if the mare was that off. He didn't. And I do think that there is a lot more freedom from pressure once the horses and riders and alternates are at the venue.

I would certainly hope that the US selection judges were not so blind that they would send an obviously incapable horse to the Olympics. Brentina scored better than both of CKD's horses and one of SPs. If it's all politics, I am ashamed of the US managers who would let a horse with nothing left to prove go out and labor through pain for a competition that they must have known she would tank.

freestyle2music
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
:confused:

Well, surely, in a bell curve sense, they give an idea of the relative merits of the Americans in order to determine who should go to the olympics out of the pool of contenders. If not, why bother with a selection process and, if not, are you saying the judges for the trials were incompetent or corrupt?

This should be interesting.

I stated this already several times, you need to invite international judges for these selection games (not only one, but possibly four).

Didn't I tell you that CDK and Mythilus should become the leading lady of the USA team. Am I a dressage guru ?????? Nooo but I can listen very well and can hear the topjudges talking about this horse and rider. You don't need a selection commission you just need somebody to sit at the bars and restaurants where the judges drink and eat. And i am sure that Mike Matson will volunteer for this job.

Theo

egontoast
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:39 PM
Didn't I tell you that CDK and Mythilus should become the leading lady of the USA team

Charles De Kunffy -leading lady???:no:

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
I don't think judges should be sitting in the bar together while judging...That would not happen in the Quarter Horse world..