PDA

View Full Version : GO GINA!!!

LisaB
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:51 AM
WOO HOO! Couldn't happen to a nicer person and a more magnificent horse!

groomette
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:52 AM
Great Job!!!

Maryalden
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
What happened?? I'm at work and can't watch!!!

Tazzie
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
Whoo Hooo Gina!

I am so happy for them!

On a side note - he is a HUGE horse! Watching the live feed of their xcty round she looked like a 12 year old with her legs out to the side on him!

Tazzie
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
What happened?? I'm at work and can't watch!!!

Gina got Individual Silver, behind Marius with Gold!

ponyjumper4
Gina won individual silver. The german needed a clean round to win and he got one.

LisaB
Silver!
And yes, he's a big boy. Who would have guessed that a 17.2 h ISH would do so well in the heat on a tight small course with mogul type ground? Hats off to Gina for such a great job.

Cooper
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
SO, so happy for her. A well deserved win for Gina & Big Mac!!!!!

Maryalden
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:58 AM
OMG!!! Way to go Gina!! "I Wish They All Could Be California Girls....":cool:

JumpingInMyDreams
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:59 AM
Beautiful horse & rider. Good Job!!

CookiePony
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
I wish we had an applause icon! :):D:cool::yes:

RxCate
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ugh I just got to this thread and tuned in and realized I've missed it :(

Poo! Congrats to Gina though!

Grasshopper
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
CONGRATS to Gina!! As others have said, couldn't have happened to a nicer person. I had the opportunity to clinic with and watch Gina in action while we lived in CA, and she is genuinely nice, motivated, and talented both as a rider and instructor!

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:20 PM
So awesome for her!!!

AdAblurr02
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
Silver!
And yes, he's a big boy. Who would have guessed that a 17.2 h ISH would do so well in the heat on a tight small course with mogul type ground? Hats off to Gina for such a great job.

I had the incredible opportunity to be filming on the **** course at Rebecca Farm - hunkered down opposite the water, as McKinlaigh and Gina Miles topped that big hill and thundered down straight toward me. It was magnificent - you can hear this powerful horse coming before he comes into sight!

FWIW, when the British Army took Irishbred Artillery horses into North AFrica, they were also astounded (they said "pleasantly surprised") at how well those big horses acclimated and handled the heat. Speaking from firsthand experience, my purebred stallion is better in heat and humidity than my Thoroughbreds, or a lot of the halfbreds.

God, this is just superb news!

Yay Gina!

JDW
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
I had the incredible opportunity to be filming on the **** course at Rebecca Farm - hunkered down opposite the water, as McKinlaigh and Gina Miles topped that big hill and thundered down straight toward me. It was magnificent - you can hear this powerful horse coming before he comes into sight!

. . .

Yay Gina!

Me, too! I was sitting on the hill filming them, too. Gave me the chills just watching them gallop across the field.

Yay McKinlaigh!!! :-D

dcm
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yay Gina! Woot McKinlaigh! :yes:

Anne FS
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
WOW!! Congratulations! I'm so happy for her. AND I read that she was the flagbearer at the Hong Kong opening ceremonies. Chosen by lot, but still, flagbearer and medallist!! W00t!!!

missamandarose
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
THRILLED FOR GINA!!!!!

Holly Jeanne
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
Good for her! Even if I wasn't familiar with her, the smile she had on her face at the end of her cross country was infectious and I was rooting for her. :)

kerlin
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
Just got back to my computer to hear this fantastic news - WOOHOO, Gina and Mac!!! Congratulations!!!

TeddyRocks
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:32 PM
Yay Gina! Woot McKinlaigh! :yes:

Go Gina... Go McKinlaigh! Awesome horse, awesome rider... Does anyone know his breeding? I mean bloodlines. I know he's ISH??? or Is he a cross? But who is his sire and dam?

Thanks and go Team USA...

On to dressage!

AM
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
And lets not forget McKinlaigh's owners, Thom Schulz and Laura Coats. I met them and Gina's mom (and sometimes her son) on a trip to the 2002 WEG in Jerez. Such nice people and happy to be supporting Gina and a great horse!

AdAblurr02
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
Go Gina... Go McKinlaigh! Awesome horse, awesome rider... Does anyone know his breeding? I mean bloodlines. I know he's ISH??? or Is he a cross? But who is his sire and dam?

Thanks and go Team USA...

On to dressage!

McKinlaigh is an Irish Draught Sporthorse (IDSH)
An Irish Sporthorse (ISH) may or may not have Irish Draught blood - ISH is registered with the Irish Horse Board, not a breed registry.

Sire is Highland King IDSH (deceased), by the TB Highland Flight and out of the Registered Irish Draught mare Ashling.

Dam is listed as Kilcimney Hostess (ISH) x Stretchwood Lad (TB)

I'm thinking he's 3/8 or so Irish Draught blood, but cannot provide any further info - am looking into it in my capacity as editor of The Blarney, official quarterly publication of the Irish Draught Horse Society of North America.

This is so good!

Libish
Aug. 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
WooHoo! It was very exciting to watch! Thanks NBC! Then, the recap again on USA & Oxygen.....

Stay Gold
Aug. 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
Having lived in CA for the past 26 years and seeing Gina at all the shows... I'm so happy for her and Big Mac! Way to keep it together for team USA.

Sannois
Aug. 12, 2008, 02:16 PM
Ugh I just got to this thread and tuned in and realized I've missed it :(

Poo! Congrats to Gina though!

Tune into Oxygen tonight at 6 for showjumping on TV. :)

Waterwitch
Aug. 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking he's 3/8 or so Irish Draught blood, but cannot provide any further info

McKinlaigh is actually 1/2 Irish Draught - both his parents are straight halfbreds. Highland King is by Highland Flight xx out of the Irish Draught mare Ashling who is by King of Diamonds RID, and Kilcumney Hostess is by Stretchworth Lad xx out of the Irish Draught mare Thomastown Baroness who is by Boulavogue RID.

Well done Gina and Mac!!

Sebastian
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
As promised...

YAY GINA!! YAY McKINLAIGH!!! YAY WEST COAST!!!!!
:p

Seb :cool:

ozjb
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
Yippee!!!! Gina is the one US rider that we sort of know, so we were cheering for her from the start.

A few years ago, my daughter and I were able to attend the US Pony Club Festival in Lexington and Gina was teaching one of the unmounted clinics. She was SO kind to the children and taught them well.

My daughter has this grotty, red New South Wales Eventing baseball cap that she wears everywhere and gets eventers to sign whenever she can. So, now I am thinking I need to go outline Gina's signature in silver!

shea'smom
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:17 PM
Gina is a Graduate A from the US Pony Club and volunteers her time as a National Examiner. She ROCKS!!!!!

mp
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:30 PM
Tune into Oxygen tonight at 6 for showjumping on TV. :)

6 p.m. EDST. If you live in the midwest, it's 5 p.m. I missed half the xcountry last night. :p

Kenike
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
Not reading any of the thread because of enough spoilers (:eek: :lol:), but just heard the TV broadcast commentators mention that she is also an ammie!! Way to go, girl! Seriously, it's people like you who give the rest of us a little boost of hope

J. Turner
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yay! Gina - what a great horse. All the riders looked like they really loved their horses. Wish we could've seen the victory gallop/medal ceremony, but thank you a million times to NBC/Oxygen for televising so much riding!

If anyone sees Melanie Smith-Taylor anywhere, please tell her to pass the thanks on to NBC.

Kenike
Aug. 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
I thought it was strange they said she was an amateur, but I admit to not following eventing as closely as the jumpers (a little more my world). Thanks for the correction :)

There's a great picture in the photo album of Karen and Teddy on the NBC Olympics site of Gina sitting on McKinlaigh and Karen on Teddy next to them. Very cute!

WindyIsles
Aug. 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah Gina!!

Whoo! Big Mac!

YAY ISH!! *waves her Irish flags*

poltroon
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:11 AM
I thought it was strange they said she was an amateur, but I admit to not following eventing as closely as the jumpers (a little more my world). Thanks for the correction :)

There's a great picture in the photo album of Karen and Teddy on the NBC Olympics site of Gina sitting on McKinlaigh and Karen on Teddy next to them. Very cute!

The german gold medalist, Hinrich Romeike, is the amateur. He's a dentist.

a1ngot8r
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:19 AM
Mac and Gina were amazing too watch, we are here in HK and she is one of the best! The triple combination in the first SJ round was very tight...many horses looked like they could barely get the strides in. We though uh oh....with Mac's size and stride this could be tough! But Gina and Mac did it the best of anyone....made it look easy! They were so balanced, it was picture perfect. We felt so proud to be from the USA and from CA and watch her get her medal. Go Gina!!!

lizathenag
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have been lucky to be aware of Gina since she was in Pony Club. I seem to remember that several years ago she spent the winter doing jumper classes with the big boy and wow, did that pay off!

kookicat
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
I never saw her show jumping, but her xc was fantasticly ridden!

Gunnar
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
So happy for our CA girl! After her dissappointing Rolex (colic and no competing) it was great to see her. During the Prince Phillip cup at Rolex she rode one of the ponies in the Games! It was great to watch!:lol: the PCer's had to bend over to get a sock I believe and they all vaulted back on but Gina had to put her foot in the stirrup and mount normally! She was a very good sport! :cool:

We get to see her ride more than most of you and she is very consistent so I am not suprised at her success! :yes:

Loves to ride
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not usually a member of anyone's fan club but I finally watched the eventing show jumping team and individual finals and WOW, Gina sure is one class act! She and "Mac" are a wonderful pair and a sheer joy to watch...

&WithStyle
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
She rode absolutely beautifully! So smooth and both rounds looked flawless! Really carried the US team!