PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country on Oxygen Now

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
Amy just came on course for those wanting to watch the US.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:18 PM
Not here on the West Coast.

Platinum Equestrian
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks... :)

Appsolute
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
I believe it is supposed to be on around 6-8PM on the west coast.. wish I still had oxygen network...

Oh.. and I know some people complained that it depened on your service provider. Some were not showing the Olympic coverage on oxygen at all.

Clear Blue
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
Can you get it on the internet?

Shortiesofine13
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:26 PM
watching it now.

The italian Vittoria Pannizzon's horse Role Model is gorgeous!!

AT's ride was well... interesting.

Portia
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:26 PM
They showed the live feed of the entire XC on the internet yesterday evening. I don't know if all or part of it is available or will be available in the archives.

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:30 PM
Not here on the West Coast.

Sorry...should have said east coast - was typing quickly...

LJD
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:30 PM
Fabulous. I don't get Oxygen.

Shortiesofine13
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:33 PM
Gina and McKinlaugh are on now as well

HunterGirl18
Aug. 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
Didn't an American fall? I tuned in a little late...
But some of those jumps are intense. I see many people are going off time too. Lovely.

2 tbs
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
Watched the whole thing last night. I don't believe one rider came in under the time allowed. There were a couple that were sorta close but not really.

And yes, Amy fell.

Shortiesofine13
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
yes, Amy Tyron fell. A chinese rider and China's Alex Hua Tian, and New Zealand's Andrew Nicholson have fallen so far as well

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:08 PM
A lot of falls and that one fall and your eliminated really changing the playing field. People were saying this will not effect upper level riders - but even if I didn't place in the Olympics, I would like to say I finished. These riders are not going to be able to say that.

If I remember correctly, 8:22 was the fastest time - optimum time of 8:00

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
Just saw Karen's first refusal. Looked like the horse slipped. Then he reared a bit and looks like Karen could have come off!

Anne FS
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:20 PM
Wow. I have never been as impressed with Karen O'Connor's riding ability as I was when I saw her stay on AND get her horse back on that first refusal. That was amazing.

Also just saw Phillip Dutton's finish and I was a little worried about his horse. Ran great on course and through the finish but as soon as he stopped, man, he looked beat. What a brave heart.

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:36 PM
I noticed the team jump to his horse, though. I hadn't noticed that with the other riders that we saw in the box. They might have just not shown it, but man, that horse was barely stopped and one person is taking of his saddle, one is taking off his bridle, another is putting on the halter, and another is taking out his studs. WOW.

Nikki^
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
My DVR taped it so I get to see the rides in slow motion, backwards and forward. It's really neat to see the riders set up the horses and how beautiful their positions are over the fences.

Mark Todd gets my vote for the best position ever. His leg didn't budge at all and his releases were gorgeous. I want to have legs of steel like him!:D

All those horses were fantastic and seemed to fair the heat very well thanks to the overcast.

AT to me seemed she lost control after starting the brush fence that goes downhill to the skinny. When she jumped the brush fence and went down the hill I thought she was going to crash. It was fantastic looking how cat like Poggio took that fence and to see it in slow motion is awesome. If it were me my heart would be in my throat.:eek: You can see AT was having a horrible time keeping Poggio under control and didn't set him up at all for the next fence.

dressagetraks
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
Did you see Connaught finish at Rolex? He looked beat after cross country; Phillip even jumped off before they stopped and started unsaddling him, horse really puffing. He jumped great the next day and won. I think Connaught must just be one of those who gives 150% and feels it right after he stops.

Just had a call from my dad. My stepmother is going to try to record things for me "if I can keep the recorder away from your father." Dad is an addicted channel-switcher and recorded-movie switcher. Anyway, they are obviously recording tonight, and he is actually watching the horses! :eek: My dad knows that they have four feet and that's about it. He asked me right after my first purebred Trakehner foal was born if he was good enough to run in the Kentucky Derby. He also never watches anything for more than two minutes, but he is watching this. Conversation ran something like:

"Hey, I'm watching the horses! Do you know how BIG some of those jumps are?" :eek:

"Yes, Dad, they're big."

"It's raining, too. Do you know they do this in the rain?"

"Yes."

"They just showed a rider fall. But some of the others, they really look like it's fun."

"They do think it's fun, Dad."

"I can't believe people actually do this. It's kind of neat, though. Do you do this?"

"No, Dad. Not this."

"Pretty neat. You'll enjoy this. Oh, here comes the US. . . "

Equestrian conversations with the non horsey. :D

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:47 PM
"Hey, I'm watching the horses! Do you know how BIG some of those jumps are?" :eek:
Equestrian conversations with the non horsey. :D

He he - I am surrounded by non horsey - always exciting to talk to them. They are very entertaining.

piaffeprincess98
Aug. 11, 2008, 09:08 PM
They started it promptly at 6pm and went until 7:30. What a treat. I prefer to watch it on tv rather than my laptop; I might watch some more online later.

equest
Aug. 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
Wow. I have never been as impressed with Karen O'Connor's riding ability as I was when I saw her stay on AND get her horse back on that first refusal. That was amazing.

Also just saw Phillip Dutton's finish and I was a little worried about his horse. Ran great on course and through the finish but as soon as he stopped, man, he looked beat. What a brave heart.

I was impressed with Karen and I felt for her, after what she has been through losing Teddy. She made the best of the circumstances.

Tough breaks for the U.S. team.

Angela Freda
Aug. 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
WHY. Do they have several. Different. Channels. Showing various events. At different times of the day/night?
Seems to me, simpleton that I might be, it would be best for NBC to pick a channel and stick with it? Sure show the popular sports primetime on NBC itself... but how would I ever have guessed that Eventing would be on Oxygen? Pick one of your NBC channels and show Olympic events. All day.

*headdesk*

2 tbs
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:11 PM
As much as that would be nice for us, that doesn't work for TV. It costs a small fortune to get this stuff put together for TV broadcast as well as using the airtime etc. There are so many reasons why they do it the way they do. Could it be better? Probably but nothing is perfect ;)

Besides, they are offering so many events via live streaming (again, not a great option for all but it is for many) I'm sure they figure between the two options you'll get to see something.;)

Mariequi
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm thrilled to have seen so much between the i-net and Oxygen, USA and NBC. And I don't usually get to watch so many other sports. Phelps just broke another record. Geez!

Re Phillip's dismounting before his horse has stopped after xc finish, I made note of it in the past. I can't say I made note if it was always Connaught!

JenEM
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:15 AM
And from NBC's point of view, it is all the same thing ;) Universal owns NBC, CNBC, USA, Oxygen, etc (is Bravo showing events this year?), and they get much better ratings and ad revenue from any Olympics than they would for the umpteenth repeat of Law&Order.

I was working for an NBC affiliate for the last summer games, and it was great fun. There were a lot of sports on in the middle of the night I never would have thought of watching, but enjoyed, like kayaking :)

It's far more likely someone will be channel surfing and stop on horses on Oxygen at 7PM than on regular NBC at 2AM.

Ja Da Dee
Aug. 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have to say, watching the eventing dressage in HD on USA was AWESOME! I was in HEAVEN.

Angela Freda
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
Besides, they are offering so many events via live streaming (again, not a great option for all but it is for many) I'm sure they figure between the two options you'll get to see something.;)
Right.
And I have already added it to the list of reasons DH should have listened to me and NOT gotten a Mac.

piaffeprincess98
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:05 PM
Right.
And I have already added it to the list of reasons DH should have listened to me and NOT gotten a Mac.

Can you not get the live streaming to work on your Mac? It works fine on mine. You just need the Silverlight plug in.

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
Here's a link to the NBC equestrian video page:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/video/index.html
Be prepared! One of the videos includes just about all of the cross country rides and lasts almost four hours!