PDA

View Full Version : You, or Horse's, Relative At the Olympics?

OneDaySoon
Aug. 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
Do you, or your horse, have a relative competing in the Beijing Olympics?

I think we have Miner's Frolic in eventing (Teddy's relative) and there is an undisclosed Pentathalon Mom on here.

I bet we have several in dressage. Let's here from all of you!

My horse "Fly Me Home" is half-brother to "Falcao" who is competing in Individual dressage for Austria. They are both sired by Feiner Stern. Given FS's recent passing nice to have one of his babies carrying the torch for him.

Kind of cool similarity, huh?

Falcao
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/41586/2142648490098335381S600x600Q85.jpg

Fly Me Home
http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/41156/2082457720098335381S600x600Q85.jpg

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
If we're counting relatives to the "we wish they were there's" yes, I have an adorable full brother to Theodore O'Connor munching hay in my barn this very moment. I was looking forward to giving him play by play, but he is unconcerned by the fuss.

OneDaySoon
Aug. 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
If we're counting relatives to the "we wish they were there's" yes, I have an adorable full brother to Theodore O'Connor munching hay in my barn this very moment. I was looking forward to giving him play by play, but he is unconcerned by the fuss.

Post a photo!!!! That would be lovely to see and remind us of Teddy.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
oh, guess I am a little slow. ;) Will have to tell him a bit about Miners Frolic!-

pegasusmom
Aug. 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Would past Olympics count?? Carrick's nephew lives here.

pwynnnorman
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
Not quite, gals. Ted's Mom and sister produced foals by Miner's Frolic's sire. Got one by Summersong's sire in the oven, too!

zippandrich
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
We have a half brother of mandiba where i board. his name is Master Illusion, he is a a sweet heart on the ground but i guess he has a nasty buck which i would say he could have he is at least 17.1 blood-bay with a short back. He hurt his rider back in april and he was sat for the past months he leaves for flordia with his owner end of the month. Another girl and I are going to miss free jumping him 3'9 and him just canter over them :) like are you guys really think thats big? watch this :) We are going to miss you M.I.

spacely
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:57 PM
Courageous Comet is by Comet Shine. I had a colt in 2005 by Comet Shine & I currently own a mare by Comet Shine. The colt is headed to the hunter ring & the mare could be a fancy hunter but due to injury she's a broodmare. I have seen Comet Shine in the flesh & he is fantastic!

pwynnnorman
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:08 PM
Courageous Comet is by Comet Shine. I had a colt in 2005 by Comet Shine & I currently own a mare by Comet Shine. The colt is headed to the hunter ring & the mare could be a fancy hunter but due to injury she's a broodmare. I have seen Comet Shine in the flesh & he is fantastic!

Do you still own her? Have you bred her yet? To whom? Does she move like CC, too?

OneDaySoon
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
Oh you guys are just making me DRROOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!! Thank goodness for great breeders!

Please post photos of these horsey relatives too.

Forte
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
The dressage stallion Vincent ridden by Bernadett Pujals is by Weltmeyer. My little mare Wolte (by Wolkentanz) is a Weltmeyer granddaughter. The japanese dressage rider is also riding a mare named Whisper (by Wolkenstein II, who is another Weltmeyer son.) My previous show horse was also by Wolkenstein II.
Lotsospots who posts here also has a mare by Briar, who is representing Sweden in dressage.

00Jumper
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
My wild beast mare is a cousin of one of the showjumping horses (can't remember which ahh!). Her grandsire on her mom's side is Voltaire, and one of the showjumper's sire is Voltaire. :) It made me smile to see that in the Chronicle.

Kenike
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
Do human relatives count? :lol: Not competing, but certainly working (for NBC, actually)

yellowbritches
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
I want to say our crazy red Irish horse is related to Parkmore Ed (via Carnival Knight, but I could be wrong. I seem to remember hearing something about Carnival Knight and Parkmore Ed). He IS related to both of Leslie Law's Shear boys (they are by Carnvial Knight, Ruby is out of a mare by Carnival Knight), and several other British and Irish bred horses, many of whom have competed at 4 star. Ruby was capable, just unwillingly. :no:

Denali
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:27 PM
My boy is by Donnerhall, so of course! And I would have been surprised if there were not. :D

Can I lie and say he is JUST LIKE Don Schufro? ;)

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:32 PM
I want to say our crazy red Irish horse is related to Parkmore Ed (via Carnival Knight, but I could be wrong. I seem to remember hearing something about Carnival Knight and Parkmore Ed). He IS related to both of Leslie Law's Shear boys (they are by Carnvial Knight, Ruby is out of a mare by Carnival Knight), and several other British and Irish bred horses, many of whom have competed at 4 star. Ruby was capable, just unwillingly. :no:

Carnival Night is the paternal g-sire of Parkmore Ed. He is also the damsire of the Shear brothers, not their sire (same relationship as your mare).

yellowbritches
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification, though I could swear the Shear boys were by him. Oh well. It would be more fun to boast about his relations if he actually lived up to his potential! :lol:

seamusdarcy
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
Not horse related but my nephew is at the Olympics as the swimming coach for the US Virgin Islands Swim Team - there is only one swimmer on the team, and five athletes altogether, i think. But still pretty impressive.

jumper27
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
My jumper is by Darco, who is Sapphire's father :). Darco has also sired a lot of horses on the grand prix circuit (Ublesco, Tarco van ter Moude, Tarco, etc).

vineyridge
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
My filly is a double cousin of Courageous Comet--Fappiano and Vice Regent as grandsires.

spacely
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:59 PM
Do you still own her? Have you bred her yet? To whom? Does she move like CC, too?

Wynn, I have not seen CC move, but my mare is a fancy hunter mover with a jump to match. I just got her a few months ago & tried to breed her twice but she didn't want to play this year. She was in foal at 16 days & then open at 30 the first time. I bred her back & she did not catch. She was just off the track, so I think that there was still too much "junk" in her system. We'll try again next year. She's 16.1h, chestnut & very blingy (blaze, 3 whites, tons of birdcatcher spots - yes, sabino;)). There are a few pics on my website, but none are conformation shots. Still trying for that one.;) She lives about a mile away from her Daddy at my friend's place right now. I have seen a bunch of other Comet Shine kids at his owner's & I liked pretty much all of them. There are more CS mares where she came from too.

I just got word from his owner that the '05 Comet Shine gelding has been started & could go in any direction. He's definitely a hunter type though. He is out of a Mehmet mare.

sfstable
Aug. 11, 2008, 09:41 PM
I have several with "1/2 siblings" in the Olympics.

My 3 year old (home-bred and I have been told first US bred and born) Selle Francais filly by Quattro B has two "1/2 brothers" listed in dressage -- Quantum Tyme and Quando Quando. She is a jumper though.

My 5 year old KWPN mare by Larino has a "1/2 brother" in jumpers

My yearling KWPN filly by Concorde has a "1/2 brother" in jumpers

TBlitz
Aug. 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
My yearling is probably related somehow to most of the horses with Irish Draught blood in them. There's not a giant gene pool for the IDs and his pedigree (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/flagmounts+trademark) contains most of the popular sport lines (though he doesn't have the Sea Crest or Ben Purple lines). I know alot of the IDSHs in the eventing have King of Diamonds in their pedigree, so they are distantly related to my guy.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:21 PM
In our town of l00,000 people we have nine athletes in Beijing now and one Equestrian para-Olympian will be going to Beijing.
That works out to one athlete to every thousant people - I think that sounds cool. Perhaps we have something in our well water.

OneDaySoon
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
In our town of l00,000 people we have nine athletes in Beijing now and one Equestrian para-Olympian will be going to Beijing.
That works out to one athlete to every thousant people - I think that sounds cool. Perhaps we have something in our well water.

Wow! What town is that?

allpurpose
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Does anyone know if "Before I Do It" ridden by Samantha Albert of Jamaica is related to Darren Chacchia's "Better I Do It"? I can't find any pedigree information on "Before". Just wondering...anybody know?

vineyridge
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yes. I think they are either by the same sire or siblings. And I believe Ms. Albert may have bred them both.

PiaffeDreams
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:16 PM
My horse Ernst August (http://bp0.blogger.com/_zTe7JGS3eRE/RwHrRKb9MjI/AAAAAAAAAHc/38JGSuifOhQ/s1600-h/Ernie_AHShighscore.jpg) is by Escudo I, by Espri, the sire of Nadine Capellmann's horse Elvis. My guy's damsire, Augustinus, is also the damsire of Debbie McDonald's Felix (although he isn't at the games, but I think its cool)

I just finished up giving a lesson to a student on her Landkoenig mare and so we will be cheering on Lantinus for sure in the show-jumping.

Mardi
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
One of my mares is in foal to Harmony's Rousseau.

Rousseau's half-brother is Harmony's Mythilus, on the US dressage team.

Both Rousseau and Mythilus are by Olympic Ferro...so that means that my mare's foal has an uncle showing in dressage at the Olympics this year.

If there are any show jumpers by For Pleasure...he's another uncle (mare's sire is 1/2 bro of For Pleasure).

It's fun having relatives there...no matter how distant. :)

spacely
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:52 PM
Rousseau's half-brother is Harmony's Mythilus, on the US dressage team.

Both Rousseau and Mythilus are by Olympic Ferro...

Quick clarification here....When horses share the same sire they are NOT considered half siblings. When they share the same dam, they are. Generally, you say "brother/sister in blood" when you are talking about horses that share a sire.

I'm not singling you out Mardi. Just trying to clarify. :)

Mardi
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks !

I had heard term "brothers in blood" before didn't know exactly what it meant.

Why is it that way...that if 2 horses are from the same sire, they are not called 1/2 brothers ?

Also...what about when QH breeders say about a sire and his offspring: "Bucky is the own son of Larky". What does "own son" mean ? It can't be his only son.....

spacely
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
"Own son" just means that the horse is by a stallion rather than by a son of the particular stallion. At least that's the way I interpret it.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:39 AM
The reason that the term brother and sister are reserved for progeny of the same dam is because that is a special relationship, while being by the same sire is not nearly as unique. A mare may have 15 foals in her lifetime if all goes well. In the same time frame a stallion can put 1000+ foals on the ground.

TwoDreamRides
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
Our little guy Coroniro aka "Nero" [ http://timberridgebreeding.tripod.com/id17.html -- top right] has relatives in the Olympics. Corlato and Russell II are aunt and uncle "in blood" to him, both in Show Jumping for GB. [as in, his sire -- Coromino -- is brother in blood to Corlato and Russell II]

Kenike
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:04 AM

Now THAT is cool!! :yes:

Marydell
Aug. 12, 2008, 05:38 AM
We have a yearling Don Schufro daughter. Then our own stallion, Don Principe is a brother in blood to Don Schufro being by Donnerhall, himself. So several nieces and nephews as well.

We also have a Landkoenig son, out of a Contender dam. He would be related to the Contango( Ravel) and Lantinus horses.

Maryanna Haymon
www.marydellfarm.com
www.sporthorsestallionexpo.com
2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

DownYonder
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have a homebred mare by Feiner Stern, who - as already mentioned - is the sire of the Austrian dressage horse Falcao. And my 5 y/o is a Donnerhall grandson.

We also have a Jazz daughter in the barn. Jazz is the sire of the Canadian dressage horse, Orion.

And a friend of mine has a Don Schufro son.

wishful_thinking
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:56 AM
I have a true half brother to Ringwood Cockatoo who was selected and so nearly made it to Hong Kong. I also have a filly who is out of a true half sister to him.

tom
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:14 AM
The damsire of Hickstead (showjumping for Canada with Eric Lamaze) is my stallion Ekstein.

The dam of Itot du Chateau (showjumping for Australia with Edwina Alexander) is a half-sister (same dam) of my stallion Desir du Chateau.

OneDaySoon
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:49 AM
Quick clarification here....When horses share the same sire they are NOT considered half siblings. When they share the same dam, they are. Generally, you say "brother/sister in blood" when you are talking about horses that share a sire.

I'm not singling you out Mardi. Just trying to clarify. :)

Thanks for the clarification Spacely, still fun to see and hear who the relatives are. I am still waiting to here more about that Canadian town!

Home Again Farm
Aug. 12, 2008, 09:38 AM
I have a daughter of Don Schufro. She is out of my Rohdiamant mare and a very special girl, though tall. :yes: :winkgrin: :D:D:D

DownYonder
Aug. 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
The damsire of Hickstead (showjumping for Canada with Eric Lamaze) is my stallion Ekstein.

The dam of Itot du Chateau (showjumping for Australia with Edwina Alexander) is a half-sister (same dam) of my stallion Desir du Chateau.

Wow, that is very cool! Congrats on both!

smhlin110
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
Isabel Werth's Satchmo and my horse are brothers in blood, so I am secretly rooting for the German team if it comes down to GER vs. NED for the Gold! :)

(I still like to think of them as half brothers!)

Aorrowan
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:33 AM
My new mare is one of the few, and possibly the only, by Livewire!

AllyB
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
My young gelding is nephew (in human terms) to Shutterfly. He is grandson of Silvio I. Pretty cool.

Mozart
Aug. 12, 2008, 05:24 PM

You own Ekstein???
How very cool.

Hickstead has springs where others have hooves!

Foxtrot's
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
The little town is Langley, BC. The original figures were skewed somewhat, but with 88 BC athletes and 9 coming from Langley, it puts us up there. Add our three equestrian para-Olympians and one wheelchair basketball athlete, we are feeling "very Olympic" as they say.

belambi
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:04 AM
my two and a half year old Harry, is by Earl..so is very much common bloodlines with Elvis.
(But i doubt they would want much to do with him!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5YzPzR_AeE

OneDaySoon
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:58 AM
The little town is Langley, BC. The original figures were skewed somewhat, but with 88 BC athletes and 9 coming from Langley, it puts us up there. Add our three equestrian para-Olympians and one wheelchair basketball athlete, we are feeling "very Olympic" as they say.

Oh Foxtrot - you made my day!!!! I knew I had Olympic blood floating around in me somewhere!

Fingers crossed for you know who :yes:.

FMulder
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
I own the stallion Dallas van Overis, who's dam is the uterine sister of Ian Millar's In Style, so I guess that qualifies under the original question.

When you add in Darco x Concorde x Calando I and that the mother is the uterine sister of Lord Z, well I guess Dallas is related to 50% of the horses there, but it's only the motherline which counts.

Here's a little Youtube of Dallas http://uk.youtube.com/user/kenrehill

maple_brook
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
I usually only count relatives on the dam side.

But since we are throughing out sire connections, I have a Weltmeyer mare and two Donnerhall-line mares.

I wish the on-line information included more information about the horses (ie: the names and short pedigrees)

pintopiaffe
Aug. 16, 2008, 11:56 PM
OOOH! I just found out that Relampago, who caught my eye yesterday (I'm watching replays) is the son of one of my favorite Lusitanos, Luar.

I know Luar well. My stallion boarded at his barn for a while. But--my 'brush with fame' is that I braided Luar for his last exhibition in May! :D :D :D

I KNEW I liked Relampago, and now I definitely see the resemblance--no wonder I liked him, I LOFF his Da. :D

Bats79
Aug. 17, 2008, 12:46 AM
Our foundation stallion Romedio is the great grandsire of Drossel Dan, Australian showjumper (we had a full brother and sister to the dam sire). All the horses from that breeder are related to our horses and all our horses are related to him.

Marius winner of the 3DE individual is from the same stamm as our stallion as well.

I've got two by Rabino and there's a Rabino in the showjumping.

Makes the best stallion to use difficult to pick when half the top dressage horses are by jumping stallions. :)

Equa
Aug. 17, 2008, 10:16 AM
We have TWO!

Our 1* eventer is a brother of a showjumper, KS Genoa, by Graf Landau. And I have a gorgeous gelding in training who is by Wenzel I, who is also the sire of Emma Hindle's Lancet.

And I'm sure the Baby has some rellies there (C-line, Argentinus line etc). And his breeder has a son (human) who is a reserve sj rider for Aus.

tom
Aug. 17, 2008, 11:34 AM

Add Don Porfirio to the list: Indoctro x Ekstein. Ridden by Antonio Chedraui for Mexico.

fish
Aug. 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have 2 grandsons of Cassini I, sire of Cumano (Bel.), Carlsson vom Dach (USA), and Camiro (Norway).

Haven't checked dam sides (yet).

Portia
Aug. 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
My yearling and foal (by Torino out of the REAL Portia) are great-grandfoals of Cassini I. Haven't checked for Heartbreaker or Pikadero connections yet.

Also haven't checked for Davignport or Lemon XX connections for my gelding.

Tom, you've got some very, very nice stallions!

Mozart
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Add Don Porfirio to the list: Indoctro x Ekstein. Ridden by Antonio Chedraui for Mexico.

Big congratulations to you tom. You must be very proud.

DMK
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, I just bought a yearling who is out of a Cox's Ridge mare. And I was fairly interested in him since Cox's Ridge is by the same sire as Jaguar Mail's sire (Hand in Glove). It's a distant one, but it's about as close as an American TB is going to get to a European sport horse. Oh yes, and both my TBs have Sicambre (sire of Sacramento Song xx) so that makes them related to a fair amount of horses. Again, not so close as to matter a whit, but having two US born TBs with Sicambre has to be beating the odds (doesn't hurt that both were by foreign born sires though!)

Portia
Aug. 18, 2008, 12:04 PM
Ponygirl said in a thread on the Breeding board that Heartbreaker is damsire of at least two horses, Wido and Cornet Obolensky. So my yearling and foal are related to several on both sides of their sire's family.

risingstarfarm
Aug. 18, 2008, 01:20 PM
My young stallions Deja Blue B is by Ferro, so he is related to Harmony's Mythilus.

My other stallion Cielo B is a great grandson of Darco (sire Simsalabim, grand sire Nonstop), so he is related to Sapphire. He is also related to Jumpy des Fontaines since his damsire is Jus de Pomme (sire of Jumpy).