PDA

View Full Version : Pawel Spisak and Weriusz

Mozart
Aug. 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
What a nice duo. When the horse entered the dressage ring I thought to myself "hello, what have we here". Nice horse.

Anyone know anything about this horse particularly re: breeding?

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
WERIUSZ: dk. b. g., 14, Polish-bred by Chyszów—Feiertraum mare, owned by Leslaw Spisak.

That is all I could find and it was in the Chronicle

RAyers
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
Did you see his XC round yesterday? Gorgeous ride!

Reed

Moody Mare
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:19 PM

Reed

I'll 2nd that. I was definitely WOW'd by his XC! I think he was my favorite of the day; 2nd only to all the USA riders. LOL I didn't see dressage, but I'll youtube it later. He's 26 and competing in his 2nd Olympics. My goodness!

I'd be interested to hear/read Mr. Wofford's critique on him, and on that XC ride.

Mozart
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:21 PM

Reed

I PVR'd it but haven't watched all of Xcountry yet. I just caught the last three rides. Watching the rest is on tonight's agenda! I just saw the results and saw they had a very respectable one.

Mozart
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
WERIUSZ: dk. b. g., 14, Polish-bred by Chyszów—Feiertraum mare, owned by Leslaw Spisak.

That is all I could find and it was in the Chronicle

Thanks for looking that up!

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for looking that up!
No prob- this is what the official Olympic site says about his breeding: Polish Horse Breeders Association. So who really knows WHAT he is besides Polish?

Regal Grace
Aug. 11, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'll 2nd that. I was definitely WOW'd by his XC! I think he was my favorite of the day; 2nd only to all the USA riders. LOL I didn't see dressage, but I'll youtube it later. He's 26 and competing in his 2nd Olympics. My goodness!

I'd be interested to hear/read Mr. Wofford's critique on him, and on that XC ride.

I could be confusing it with another rider but I could have swore Jimmy mentioned him as rider to watch a year or so back...possibly on his blog re: WEG in Achen

Moody Mare
Aug. 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
I could be confusing it with another rider but I could have swore Jimmy mentioned him as rider to watch a year or so back...possibly on his blog re: WEG in Achen

You're right. And from exactly where you said I'd find it. Not sure if I'm allowed to link the source or not, so...

Here's what he wrote:
"You probably won't see him again as he comes from Poland, and they don't have much in the way of owners there or big time eventing, but this kid has the stuff. At the start of World War II, in September of 1939, the Polish Cavalry defending Warsaw charged German Panzer tanks, armed only with lances. I'll bet his grandfather was involved. Brave kid with a future in the sport if he can seize it. My pick for the "who-dat" award would be Pawel Spisak. Don't get me wrong, Pawel stunk up the joint today, but that's what rookies do. He'll get over it. His horse isn't worth the powder to blow him up, but I'm just sayin'..." Jimmy Wofford

Jimmy's wrong on one count though. Spisak's MARE is worth a lot more than he gives credit for. She's made it to the Olympics twice now. It looks to me like Spisak loves that mare too! :-)

Regal Grace
Aug. 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
You're right. And from exactly where you said I'd find it. Not sure if I'm allowed to link the source or not, so...

Here's what he wrote:
"You probably won't see him again as he comes from Poland, and they don't have much in the way of owners there or big time eventing, but this kid has the stuff. At the start of World War II, in September of 1939, the Polish Cavalry defending Warsaw charged German Panzer tanks, armed only with lances. I'll bet his grandfather was involved. Brave kid with a future in the sport if he can seize it. My pick for the "who-dat" award would be Pawel Spisak. Don't get me wrong, Pawel stunk up the joint today, but that's what rookies do. He'll get over it. His horse isn't worth the powder to blow him up, but I'm just sayin'..." Jimmy Wofford

Jimmy's wrong on one count though. Spisak's MARE is worth a lot more than he gives credit for. She's made it to the Olympics twice now. It looks to me like Spisak loves that mare too! :-)

Yup when JW said "who-dat" it stuck in my mind but he usually gives out that award in his Rolex preview which was why I was not sure if it was the same rider. Glad to see Pawel and his mare prove Jimmy wrong on that count. Which goes to the heart of why I love eventing. A rider building a partnership with his or her horse. Some of my favorite riders have been the ones that have taken horses that nobody wanted or were told they did not have the "right stuff" and prove them wrong.

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 04:39 PM
GO POLAND!!!

He looked really good over cross country and dressage. Unfortunately he is currently 33rd, which leaves him out of the individual medal chance, but it is still very good standings. Especially for a country that is not all that strong economically.

CenterlineGirl2
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
His horse is not a mare, Wierusz is a male name so its a gelding or stallion for sure.
Anyways, its nice to see him be successful. I am fron Poland and have met him on several occassions at a few parties back when he was still a young rider. (haha, my friend had a serious crush on him!)
I think Poland has some really good riders, but sponsors are lacking and so are trainers. But the biggest problem IMO is the attitude. Example:

I was in Poland during the last Olympics in Athens. I was visiting a fairly big event and was talking to some of the big names in Polish eventing (trainers). I said "its really too bad that our boys didn't do so well in Athens" (the highest placed was I think 45th or 46th)
The "trainer" replied to me "are you crazy??? they made it through cross country!, they did great!"

So expectations are really low - nobody is really shooting for the top. And while I know that you've got to be realistic, but it seems like nobody dreams overe there. Everybody likes to complain how poor the quality of horses is and how little money there is and how there are no sponsors, but there aren't enough people who dream big!

Anyways :) Go Spisak, hopefully he'll really make it in the sport some day!

vineyridge
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
If you go here:
http://www.equestrian-database.com/serve/frontpage

register and go to the eventing database, you can find their records. It's really quite impressive for a young Polish rider.

Kenike
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:14 AM
Definitely one of my faves! Thanks for all the info on the duo here. :)

XHalt
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:38 AM
I really liked them too. He just jumped clean too!

draftxfan
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:46 AM
I loved how he jumped off after his round and kissed his horse on the nose -- just adorable!

Mozart
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:26 AM
I finally watched his xcountry ride last night and saw his show jumping this a.m. Wofford nailed it re: this kid. He has feel, focus, good hands and a natural rhythm.

I think he got the assessment of the horse wrong, but I guess JW is entitled to make a mistake or two. ;)

Okay, so he's not the scopiest thing out there, but he is clean, careful, obedient and he tried his little heart out. You can't ask for much more.

Anyway, the world beaters better keep an eye on Pawel. If he can find another good horse I'll bet he will be tapping them on the shoulder pretty soon. :yes:

granfan
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:29 AM
Go Pawel ! Looking so good and brave and all!

Ajierene
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
He is ranked 25 now and in the individual jumping.

Wasn't he at Athens? Anyone know how he did there?

AffirmedHope
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:51 PM
he went for a swim in one of the water jumps on CC.

20th out of what 67 riders? not bad not bad at all!

Jasper'sMom
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:58 PM
LOL! I saw his dressage test, too, and said, hello? Who is this? At the end, when he just looked as happy as can be, I thought, YES! I'm rooting for this guy! He had a lovely XC ride - unfortunately, I missed the show-jumping, but will catch it on rewind. I'm delighted he went double clear. I'm so glad that everyone else has been noticing him, too! Like someone else said, if I won the lottery today, I'd hope to be his new sponsor by tomorrow! :D

Hopewell
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm so glad other people recognized his talent! I think I missed his dressage, but saw XC and SJ. He is such a soft quiet rider--like doing an EQ class! He was the first to go clear in the 1st SJ round. I'm so glad he did well and hope to see him a lot more! Maybe one of the big names will ask him to come train with them...here would be nice!

marta
Aug. 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
that quote you cite about the polish cavalry charging tanks w/ lances is a myth.
we may be brave but not dumb;)
and his name is Wierusz not Weriusz.

monicabee
Aug. 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
He was also very demonstrative with his horse this morning (night in HK) in the individual rounds. After watching him I did a quick search and that picture of him in the drink at Athens was the first that came up!

Nice rider, only 132 lbs according to his official bio.

Guin
Aug. 12, 2008, 06:39 PM
LOFF him!! Did you see him give his horse that great big hug after the jumping round? He (Pawel) is adorable (horse, too, actually.) And he's only 26!!!! He looks like my 18-year-old son. :)

granfan
Aug. 12, 2008, 08:13 PM
So glad to hear from supporters for Poland.

In Athens, when the Polish rider finished xc there was NO Welcoming Group. It made my heart hurt.

Nearly all the others had a large bunch of people waiting to grab the horse and hug the rider.

This Olympics it was much better. Surely they were not only provided by the committee.

Kenike
Aug. 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
Oh, granfan...that's horrible! I'll be the first to volunteer as the welcoming committee/hug person in London :)

I wrote my Polish friend about Pawel last night. I must've missed the stadium round (which really bites, I wanted to see!!), but I'm thrilled this lovely rider and equally lovely horse did well

Moody Mare
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:00 PM
(Quote) Anyways :) Go Spisak, hopefully he'll really make it in the sport some day![/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I'd say making it to the Olympics twice by age 26 is already 'really making in it the sport'. At least in my book it is. LOL

Moody Mare
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=CenterlineGirl2;3434550] His horse is not a mare, Wierusz is a male name so its a gelding or stallion for sure.
QUOTE]

OH, yeah! Couldn't you just let me think it was a mare ? :-)

Moody Mare
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:04 PM
that quote you cite about the polish cavalry charging tanks w/ lances is a myth.
we may be brave but not dumb;)
and his name is Wierusz not Weriusz.

LOL Thanks for clearing that up.
And here I was thinking it was slang for 'where you iz'? YES I'M JOKING.

Ajierene
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:24 PM
That kind of stuff is where 'dumb Polack' jokes came from.

The fact was that the Polish were horribly outnumbered and far less advanced technologically but they fought anyway - and were crushed. So people started making jokes, because sill Poles, they should have just surrendered to Hitler, what's so bad about him anyway?......

Of course the Americans that make this joke forget that way back in the day, the only reason the US won the revolution is because 1 - they had an ocean between them and the British, makes sending troops much harder and 2 - the British decided the US was not worth their time and expense anymore.

The 'dumb Polack' jokes make it hard to publicly acknowledge the sacrifices my great Uncle made with the Polish military to help the allies. Instead of any kind of 'interesting' or 'atta boy' or 'wow interesting war story' that you would get from an American, Canadian, British, etc. telling a war story, you start getting 'dumb Polack' related jokes.

Stepping off my soap box now...bit of a pet peeve.

AiryFairy
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'm so glad everyone else feels the same way about Pawel, he had a lovely ride throughout, pure class. He deserves a much bigger cheering section.

JER
Aug. 13, 2008, 01:24 AM
Here's a photo of Pawel and Weriusz at Athens (http://horses.about.com/od/aboutequestrianolympics/ig/Olympic-Action-Image-Gallery/Pawel-Spisak-and-Weriusz.htm).

Things went a bit better this time for sure. :D

mutable
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
Of course the Americans that make this joke forget that way back in the day, the only reason the US won the revolution is because 1 - they had an ocean between them and the British, makes sending troops much harder and 2 - the British decided the US was not worth their time and expense anymore.

Don't forget, you guys also lent us General Pulaski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_Pu%C5%82aski), the "Father of the American Cavalry" for the Revolution.

I cheered on Pawel and Weriusz. I was thrilled when they went clean on x-c! And finished so well.

marta
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
is a gelding.
i tried searching polish websites to find out what kind of a polish warmblood he is but didn't find anything yet. wielkopolski is the most common breed in my part of the country used for dressage and eventing. but he may be something else. maybe now w/ his success more details about this couple will appear.

marta
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
his name is either Weriusz or Wierusz.
so never mind my prior correction b/c apparently Weriusz may be right.

Mozart
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
So glad to hear from supporters for Poland.

In Athens, when the Polish rider finished xc there was NO Welcoming Group. It made my heart hurt.

Nearly all the others had a large bunch of people waiting to grab the horse and hug the rider.

This Olympics it was much better. Surely they were not only provided by the committee.

Wow, that's just wrong. :no:
Hey, if we start now we could get together quite a London 2012 cheering section for Pawel. I'm in.

My national colours are red and white (Canada) and I believe that is the same for Poland. I could just swap out the maple leaf for Polish flag and my red and white could do double duty.

marta
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
he's been riding since he was a young boy. his father was his riding influence. in fact, they have a facility in poland they operate. he's training w/ a german trainer and a polish trainer. he's married. has a college degree... economics maybe? (i forgot already, man my brain is fried!).

still no info on his mount.
i know Weriusz was injured (youtube interview with pawel) and because of the injury they weren't sure which one of his horses would be ready for the boejing.

Ajierene
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
Here's a photo of Pawel and Weriusz at Athens (http://horses.about.com/od/aboutequestrianolympics/ig/Olympic-Action-Image-Gallery/Pawel-Spisak-and-Weriusz.htm).

Things went a bit better this time for sure. :D

On the one hand, this is an awesome picture of Spisak and Weriusz 'testing the waters' at Athens.

On the other hand - sucks no matter who you are.

Mutable - thanks for the reminder about the General!

marta - I'll ask my grandma if she knows what 'Weriusz' means. Thanks for the other history/trivia

Caroline Weber
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'll ask my grandma if she knows what 'Weriusz' means.

Neither "weriusz" (which wouldn't make sense to me in terms of Polish spelling rules) nor "wierusz" has any meaning as a Polish word. I don't know the horse's breeding, but it may be that it is one of those names concocted from bits of the dam's/sire's/damsire's names.

MyGiantPony
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:58 PM
Ok, I know this probably will officially label me as a dirty old lady...but daaaaaaamn he's adorable:

http://www.equichannel.cz/UserFile/Image/clanky/spis.jpg

marta
Aug. 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
wierusz is a pretty common last name.

i've heard of people naming their dogs 'wiarus' b/c of the word "wiara" which means faith, but wierusz doesn't have anything to do w/ it, neither does weriusz.

Moody Mare
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
Neither "weriusz" (which wouldn't make sense to me in terms of Polish spelling rules) nor "wierusz" has any meaning as a Polish word. I don't know the horse's breeding, but it may be that it is one of those names concocted from bits of the dam's/sire's/damsire's names.

I just Google'd 'Wierusz', - he's a Polish painter. Horses can be found in all his paintings on the site below.

http://www.pinakoteka.zascianek.pl/Wierusz_Kowalski/Index.htm

Moody Mare
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ajierene;3438244]

QUOTE]

Are Americans the only ones to make polack jokes?

The thread was about Pawel Spisak, his fabulous Olympic rides, and his fabulous horse.

oldbutnotdead
Aug. 13, 2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone know the "time" of his ride if I go to nbc.com? I'd love to watch all the showjumping, but must ride and work sometime!

Cupcake
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
The second ride is about 5:20 minutes into the footage.

I bet the horses name is is Weriusz.

Wieruszka in Polish is like a fairy.....so maybe it's just the "evolution" of that word.

I also liked him and his horse. Definitely an up and comer!

GO POLAND! (Polish born and raised here :)

Ajierene
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:28 PM
Are Americans the only ones to make polack jokes?

I am not sure, but since I live in the US and have spent a much greater percentage of my time talking to Americans, and have also talked to, and been around, a much greater percentage of Americans long enough for Polish jokes to be mentioned, I can only speak of experience of the US. If I remember correctly a Canadian friend made a Polish joke in my presence once and only once.

I have wondered if the Polish jokes have evolved the same way in other countries as they have in the US or if they have died out or have never really been a factor. One day I will get around to doing research on the matter.

quietann
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
MGP,

Join the club! That young man is surely easy on the eyes, and the way he treats his horse is just charming.

Ajierene
Aug. 14, 2008, 11:37 PM
MGP,

Join the club! That young man is surely easy on the eyes, and the way he treats his horse is just charming.

I know others thought it was 'sad' and 'wrong' that he was taking care of his horse after the phases, but I thought it was cool that he was at least making sure his horse is alright. He very likely couldn't afford as many grooms as other competitors, but some just seemed to not even hand the horse off to the groom but the groom would take it and they would walk off without a backward glance. Likely it is just being jaded - used to someone taking your horse from you - but I preferred the ones that at least gave their equine partners a pat and made sure the grooms really had a handle on the horse.

Anyway, I just thought Pawel's attention to his horse is darling.

marta
Aug. 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
what a great round!
and that kiss at the end sealed it for me.

:)))

Sansao
Oct. 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
Weriusz is Weriusz, not Wieriusz
This word has no meaning in Polish.

Weriusz(sire: Chyszow xx, dam: Wolfa/Feiertraum) 77% thoroughbred

very,very nice horse to ride:D

Unfortunately they coudn't come to Kentucky this year, as Weriusz was lightly injured earlier this season, and it would be to forcing to him yet.

gingerbread
Oct. 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
I just Google'd 'Wierusz', - he's a Polish painter. Horses can be found in all his paintings on the site below.

http://www.pinakoteka.zascianek.pl/Wierusz_Kowalski/Index.htm

Wow--thanks for finding this! My grandfather was born in Poland around the time these paintings were done--and worked as a farrier. This gives me some idea of what his world must have been like.

Mozart
Oct. 19, 2010, 10:58 AM
Weriusz is Weriusz, not Wieriusz
This word has no meaning in Polish.

Weriusz(sire: Chyszow xx, dam: Wolfa/Feiertraum) 77% thoroughbred

very,very nice horse to ride:D

Unfortunately they coudn't come to Kentucky this year, as Weriusz was lightly injured earlier this season, and it would be to forcing to him yet.

I was wondering where they were and I was disappointed not to see them! Hopefully the horse recovers and we will see this partnership again. Does Pawel have any young up and coming horses?