PDA

View Full Version : In love with a dentist.

pwynnnorman
Aug. 11, 2008, 07:49 AM
This guy is just an awesome horseperson, the very epitome of someone who events from the heart, IMO:

“I always have the impression that his last round is his best round, and it was again his best today,” he said. “Every time he does it. I don’t know how, but he does—thank you Marius.”

His insight on the course was intriguing to read, too, given the wobbliness I think we all saw in some riders at the finish:

"It was tougher than I expected, and the last third was really tiring. It was really knackering.”

Now there's a man I'd love to find myself sitting next to on a plane. I am now firmly rooting for him and the sweet, wonderful Marius.

2 tbs
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:19 AM
He's a dentist? Wow. Didn't know that.:)

I LOVED his ride through cross country (didn't see his dressage) - it was soooo beautiful!! He totally deserves to be sitting atop the field for sure :yes::yes::yes: He sounds like a wonderful horse person or heck, even regular ol' person for that matter :D

FairWeather
Aug. 11, 2008, 08:27 AM
I love that an amateur from Germany is kicking butt. That horse is lovely!

FalseImpression
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
I loved him in dressage, was impressed in XC (steady, steady pace and clean) and I am sure rooting for him in SJ.

Our commentators stated that he practises dentistry all day and rides every day at 7 pm! Marius is gorgeous! and seems so in tune with his rider. I know the comments during our Canadian broadcast were really funny regarding this horse's way of thinking. A great pair!

snoopy
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
and on an entirely superficial note...he is a very nice man and incredibly easy on the eyes.

Jazzy Lady
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
hahaha... snoops. You crack me up.

I was totally cheering when they said he is a full time dentist and rides his horse (singular) after work at night! There's hope for my interior designer self yet!!!

granfan
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:13 AM
Romeike was good in Athens too. As were all the Germans. Remember?

Did all the Germans wear long-sleeved shirts on xc? Did my mind blur. So riders to keep up with and so fast.

I didn't notice arms until Lucinda Fredericks' were so bare and toned and bare.

kerlin
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
Marius was absolutely one of my favorite horses out there yesterday, and I'm so glad to hear that his rider is a great person as well. I'll be rooting for them in the medal standings, for sure!

BLBGP
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:08 AM
He made it look like a Regular Working Hunter course. So smooth and effortless to the eye!

pharmgirl
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:12 AM
I loved his ride! I remembered thinking "they just get it". Even better that he has a different day job.

pwynnnorman
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:13 AM
I know the comments during our Canadian broadcast were really funny regarding this horse's way of thinking. A great pair!
Oh, that must have been fun. What sort of things did they put in his mouth, so to speak?

I didn't notice arms until Lucinda Fredericks' were so bare and toned and bare.

Except for the pink gloves. Anyone know the story behind her love of pink?

IMO, Gandalf and Marius would make Hunter Derby folks cry--not just because of their fancy jumps (especially Marius), but because of the way they loped around with such seeming ease and rhythm.

snoopy
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
She wore this colour back when she was Lucinda Murray.

A little background on Lucinda. She is a good buisness woman, has made many sacrifices by selling some very good horses that would have put her in team contention a long time ago. She focused on getting her husband on some good horses, buying their yard in the UK and raising a family. She was also the trainer of another national team for which I cannot remember. She is a tough cookie and really deserves to be right where she is. Brit was a difficult horse in the beginning and Lucinda has worked miracles to get this horse to the top of the sport.

2 tbs
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
IMO, Gandalf and Marius would make Hunter Derby folks cry--not just because of their fancy jumps (especially Marius), but because of the way they loped around with such seeming ease and rhythm.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

granfan
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
What was the pink on Brits left front hoof?

Portia
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:54 AM
It was really a lovely, lovely go, both for horse and rider. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does the SJ round -- he looked so careful for an event horse!

Kenike
Aug. 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
He's an ammie?? Wow, have to cheer for him even more now! I've been sitting here LOVING the broadcasts (after the troubles I had with the player, etc the first day), but I always think "it's too bad we don't have more availability to this for amateurs." What a fantastic thing to hear!

Yup, I love these two horses, partially because of their easy way of going and elegant style. :yes: I'll even admit that I've been disappointed in the Hunter Derby horses (not all, but most) because they're still demonstrating the show hunter style, not the original hunter thing it was hoped to bring back a bit.

Carrera
Aug. 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
What was the pink on Brits left front hoof?

Looked like the horse was wearing pink bell boots

Portia
Aug. 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
He's an ammie?? Wow, have to cheer for him even more now! I've been sitting here LOVING the broadcasts (after the troubles I had with the player, etc the first day), but I always think "it's too bad we don't have more availability to this for amateurs." What a fantastic thing to hear!
It's kind of a German tradition, or at least accepted that an amateur can still be a top class rider and not simply dismissed. Remember Reiner Klimke was an amateur -- he was a practicing lawyer his entire riding career.

FalseImpression
Aug. 11, 2008, 12:35 PM
Oh, that must have been fun. What sort of things did they put in his mouth, so to speak?

I remember at one point Marius seemed to be looking at something, then refocused and "said". "yeah, excuse me boss, I got a bit distracted"... or "oh, lead change... no problem!" I think I still have it on tape.

I really enjoyed watching the pair and wish them well in SJ. Apart from Rolex in '07, I have never really watched Eventing, so this is really new to me and I am grateful for the great coverage we have. I am learning a lot... I even watched ALL of the dressage (and usually after two horses, I am bored!)

Kenike
Aug. 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
It's kind of a German tradition, or at least accepted that an amateur can still be a top class rider and not simply dismissed. Remember Reiner Klimke was an amateur -- he was a practicing lawyer his entire riding career.

I did not know that. Wow...thank you! I love learning new things, and this is just one that is very, very cool :yes:

I've been around horses and have ridden nearly my entire life. Now I feel very dumb! :lol:

anabug
Aug. 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
Does this mystery dentist have a name?

Portia
Aug. 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hinrich Romeike (in first individually after XC)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/resultsandschedules/rsc=EQX003300/index.html

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=57635/bio/index.html

Ajierene
Aug. 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
44 years old.

An amateur rider.

a role model for all the working horseback riders out there!

Minuet
Aug. 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
Here's a better picture of him..

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0d5S4j9fkYcfP

fannie mae
Aug. 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/Doc-..15798/d.htm

http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/Doc-..60902/doc.htm

Debbie
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:17 PM
Here's a better picture of him..

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0d5S4j9fkYcfP

Good heavens, they're all purty! Forget importing the horses; let's start importing some of the riders! :winkgrin:

2 tbs
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
Good heavens, they're all purty! Forget importing the horses; let's start importing some of the riders! :winkgrin:

OOOHH!!! YAY!!! Me likie that idea!!! :yes::yes::yes: Of course, if we could get horse/rider combo's that would be having our cake and eating it too!! :D

Arizona DQ
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
I think I need to go to Germany for some dental work.....;)

1derful
Aug. 12, 2008, 02:35 AM
She wore this colour back when she was Lucinda Murray.
... She was also the trainer of another national team for which I cannot remember. She is a tough cookie and really deserves to be right where she is. Brit was a difficult horse in the beginning and Lucinda has worked miracles to get this horse to the top of the sport.
Lucinda and her husband trained the only Chinese 3-day eventer Hua Tian. An 18-year-old high school kid. It was incredible just to get him qualified for the Olympics. Hua Tian unfortunately had a fall in the cross country course and got elimiated. I don't know if the Fredericks found the horse for him. Great horse! He was put too close to the fence, but he managed to slip his legs over and put them down so quickly to avoid potentially a much bigger disater.

I think there is an interview video clip of them some where... I'll post it when I find it again... I looked around a bit, but can't find it. I thought it was at he FEI official site. Oh, well.

Ibex
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think there's a whole new hope in the hearts of all the Ammy riders around the world who work all day and "ride at 7pm"!!!

seeuatx
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
Has anyone else caught the irony of Hinrich's success? With all the issues over Upper level professional riders vs. the rest of us (smurfs). The entire eventing world just got schooled by an Ammie... twice. Take that CMP! ;)

Way to go Hinrich!

pwynnnorman
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
Gina's success, too: one-horse, not-really pro-like, epitome of the best of eventing--having a real relationship with your horse! (In fact, all three medalists have special relationships with the horses they rode.)

Aaaand, BTW: Do I know how to pick 'em or what? I don't hang my heart out there for just any dentist.:D

SmallHerd
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
Wynn, when he want clean I thought of you! You must be swooning. LOL.

Congrats to all the riders and a big WHOO HOO to Gina!!

Roan
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
The hand over his face to hide the tears in his eyes after the jumping round made me wish I was German -- even just for a day.

Eileen, Happy to be a Canuck in the USA, but for today, I am German :D

Carol Ames
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:56 PM
Wynn, he's lovely, :yes: and, not afraid to cry, he left his fans at the in gate to give his horse a pat!;)

Carol Ames
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
Way to :yes:go!

Carol Ames
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
Toddy jumped around clean, too!

3phase
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
Just Awesome!!! Not only for the medalist but also for Eventing with all the controversy this year!! I'm so excited for 2012 and hope it's just as good as Hong Kong!

....I don't think I should go to work as well...my eyes are sooo red from crying! I've been waiting for Hinrich to be in the top placings and am super happy for Gina and Tina as well as the team placings (although it woulda been awesome for a Canadian to be in there! :D)

2 tbs
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:07 PM
The hand over his face to hide the tears in his eyes after the jumping round made me wish I was German -- even just for a day.

Eileen, Happy to be a Canuck in the USA, but for today, I am German :D

Me too!:yes::yes::yes:

Well, I am German by nationality so....:D

Cinnybren
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
He was just super, and yes easy on the eyes! I was a bit misty-eyed as well when he teared up after finishing the course. Great ride. I LOVE Marius! Does anyone know his pedigree?? (TB X HOL) I think? But sire and dam?

BLBGP
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:12 PM
His CC round is on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9UsF_AZBoM

Carol Ames
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
N NO mistakes,like in Athens!:mad: after the four horses all had time penalties,:eek: the time was increased!:yes:

oldbutnotdead
Aug. 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
Beautiful! Fluid!

Did you notice that M's boots were taped in the German colors?

:)

Roan
Aug. 12, 2008, 03:34 PM
They finally have the evening dressage from the first day up. Commentary is that Mairus is a Holsteiner and was born in 1994. So the grey guy is 14 years old.

Eileen

fannie mae
Aug. 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
He was just super, and yes easy on the eyes! I was a bit misty-eyed as well when he teared up after finishing the course. Great ride. I LOVE Marius! Does anyone know his pedigree?? (TB X HOL) I think? But sire and dam?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/marius25

Cinnybren
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Fannie Mae.

Anne FS
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:34 PM
If any of you are into Schutzhund, at the Masters tournament in June, the top prize out of the 50 best teams in the world, was won by: a German dentist!

Must be something in the flouride!

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:37 PM
and on an entirely superficial note...he is a very nice man and incredibly easy on the eyes.

Snoopy!!

I totally agree. ;):lol:

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 12, 2008, 05:27 PM

Ulla Salzberger is a lawyer, as is Isabelle Werth, but I don't believe either of them practice law.

pferdefreund
Aug. 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
What's also rather nice is that he was interviewed on German TV and told his employees (while on TV):

"Close the office, go eat some ice cream, you have a day off."

Anschließend gab er am ZDF-Mikrofon den Angstellten seiner Zahnarztpraxis in Rendsburg spontag einen Tag frei: "Macht zu, esst ein Eis, ich geb' euch frei."

gubbyz
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
So how would an ammie make it to the olympics? Sponsors?

poltroon
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:08 AM
COTH has a picture of them jumping the corner at the Great Wall that is just fantastic. Everything looks so perfect, yes, down to the nationalized boots.

Maren
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
Quote: So how would an ammie make it to the olympics? Sponsors?

I don't know about Hinni, but I saw it upclose with a good friend in 2000, Sydney, German eventing team. She is a veterinarian with her own practice, and ONE horse that she took to the Olympics. She had very little sponsor money, some help from the German Riding Federation, and mostly 40K Euro into it of her own money. She simply said "this chance only presents itself once in a lifetime". She also did very well, but it was tremendously expensive (had to pay a vet to take over her clinic for 6 weeks, etc). That's how ammies do it, and I really think that's how it should be at the Olympics. Wishful thinking though ...

Mozart
Aug. 13, 2008, 10:45 AM
I believe Hinrich has single handedly done more to improve the image of dentists than all of the dental association public service annnouncements in history....

I suppose he must still have significant help though, unless conditioning practises have changed a lot, don't event horses competing at that level get exercised more than once a day? (not that this detracts from his success one iota)

Portia
Aug. 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know about Hinrich, but I remember reading that Dr. Klimke had his office near his home/barn, and would go home and lunch and ride two or three horses. The grooms had them ready to go and he would climb on, then he would go back to the office. And of course ride after he finished working.

He was a very successful and respected transactional lawyer on top of being such an internationally revered rider. Pretty amazing.

Of course, you have to remember that horses are a much more central part of the German way of life, and the German culture respects riders much more, than in the U.S. or almost any other country. It is easier in many respects to arrange things to accomodate an amateur there than it is here. That is, you can have your office near your barn, and your patients/clients/employer will respect that you have something important to do.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
I don't know about Hinrich, but I remember reading that Dr. Klimke had his office near his home/barn, and would go home and lunch and ride two or three horses. The grooms had them ready to go and he would climb on, then he would go back to the office. And of course ride after he finished working.

He was a very successful and respected transactional lawyer on top of being such an internationally revered rider. Pretty amazing.

Of course, you have to remember that horses are a much more central part of the German way of life, and the German culture respects riders much more, than in the U.S. or almost any other country. It is easier in many respects to arrange things to accomodate an amateur there than it is here. That is, you can have your office near your barn, and your patients/clients/employer will respect that you have something important to do.

In Europe, the work culture/ethic is completely different. People actually take lunch breaks -- long ones -- and have shorter work days and ample vacation time. In France, for example, people are generally out of the office the entire month of August. It is a lot easier to balance outside interests.

Wellspotted
Aug. 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
What a lovely round! That horse has the kindest look on his face.

And I actually enjoyed the commentary--it was fun trying to understand as much of it as I could.

When I was little there was a toothpaste whose "hero" battled "Mr. Tooth Decay" in TV commercials. Mr. Tooth Decay was a dark grey ugly character. Watching this round, I couldn't help thinking how Hinrich Romeike looked like the hero of a commercial about dentists! Just so bright and sparkling white!

Looking forward to seeing more of him and Marius!

Portia
Aug. 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
In Europe, the work culture/ethic is completely different. People actually take lunch breaks -- long ones -- and have shorter work days and ample vacation time. In France, for example, people are generally out of the office the entire month of August. It is a lot easier to balance outside interests.

Believe me, I am reminded of that every August when we can never get anything done with our European clients or cases. (I practice international arbitration.) We just mark August off the calendar -- unfortunately, our clients still expect us to be here and working. ;)

Maryalden
Aug. 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wow! Now there's a dentist I wouldn't mind being drilled by! :lol:

Wellspotted
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:31 AM
Wow! Now there's a dentist I wouldn't mind being drilled by!

:lol::lol::lol: Ouch! :lol::lol::lol: Ouch! :lol::lol::lol:

(I don't know, MaryAlden, the sound effects of the drill ... ) :lol::lol::lol:

Ibex
Aug. 14, 2008, 01:35 AM
Wow! Now there's a dentist I wouldn't mind being drilled by! :lol:

<splutters>

ok, I have a dirty mind, I admit it.

Maryalden
Aug. 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
Wellspotted, you have a good point. I HATE the sound of the drill. Perhaps wearing that little bib, and nothing elese, would make up for it? :)

Wellspotted
Aug. 14, 2008, 09:07 PM
It might depend on who was wearing the bib ... :winkgrin:

(and where!)

lukas1987
Aug. 15, 2008, 12:32 PM
My apologies of this has already been posted, but here's the dentist celebrating his victory. :winkgrin:

http://www.horses.nl/videos/bekijken/636

Maryalden
Aug. 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
Oh God! That's so funny. What a great video of the team celebrating. I like him even more, although, I probably wouldn't take him dancing. :winkgrin:

Wellspotted
Aug. 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
Ooh, ooh, dental love
Das ist die beste!
Ooh, ooh, dental love,
Das macht meine Zähne weiss
Ich liebe mein Zahnarzt
Mit seinem großen Pferd
Und seinem Zahnstucker --
OOH! Dental love …

pony grandma
Aug. 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
My apologies of this has already been posted, but here's the dentist celebrating his victory. :winkgrin:

Play That Funky Music White Boy! :) Get Down And Boogie ...

Maryalden
Aug. 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
Oh, my German Dentist,
I love you more than William Rehnquist.
When you dance, you defy mere gravity.
I wish you were a drill, and I your cavity.

LexInVA
Aug. 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Oh my...

snoopy
Aug. 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
Play That Funky Music White Boy! :) Get Down And Boogie ...

Yes well it would seem that the dutch, danes, and germans have ZERO "soul". White white bread.:lol:

Wellspotted
Aug. 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
The tune in his head while dancing ...

"If you like my pony,
And you think I'm sexy,
Come on, COTHgirls, dance with me!"

TexasTB
Aug. 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
do i spy Isabel and Heike attempting to get down with that, too?

fannie mae
Aug. 16, 2008, 03:24 AM
big party last night at the muenster airport to welcome them back:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/565499964PUlwIU

http://www.buschreiter.de/hongkong25.html

and some more from the "dentist":
http://www.buschreiter.de/hongkong23.html

pony grandma
Aug. 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
do i spy Isabel and Heike attempting to get down with that, too?

When I went to college, back in the late 60's, the first college experience that I had was the black girls on the dorm floor. They grabbed all of us white chicks into the hall space by the bathrooms and taught us how to dance. They were LOL having a good time with us. No wild jerky flinging movements allowed. Small slow controlled smooth sensual ones. It was a wonderful experience for all of us. It broke the ice and we had a very friendly open minded dorm floor.

So nice to see the Germans thoroughly loosening up and enjoying their fun!!

Wellspotted
Aug. 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
What a lovely story, pony grandma. I'm glad to have read that.

Thanks, fannie mae, for the links. What wonderful pictures! Would that sort of thing ever happen over here, I wonder (US)?

I want the hat!

So--at home "our" dentist is "Hini." Cute.

Wellspotted
Aug. 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
I just read Roan's lovely post ...

They say that on St Patrick's Day we're all Irish ...

I guess for this day we've all been German ... :)

Wellspotted
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:44 AM
Has anyone else seen these?

This is Part 1 --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTaEzAIH08&feature=related

I have not watched the whole thing (I have VERY slow dial-up and it is late and I am very sleepy). Just thought I'd post the link (apologies if someone else already has done so).

Er spricht Englisch! :cool:

Rt66Kix
Aug. 22, 2008, 07:26 PM

:eek:

I'll teach him to dance if he'll teach me to ride! LOL!

Wellspotted
Sep. 10, 2008, 01:59 PM
I only understood one word in ten (or one in twenty!), but this interview takes place in an interesting-looking barn and I thought I'd post this link, just for the scenery if nothing else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSPMoL2M8s