PDA

View Full Version : Circumstances in Hongkong better than during Athens

freestyle2music
Aug. 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
When we have to believe the vets. The circumstances for the horses in HongKong are better than they were in Athens. The average lost of weight, after a one hour training session is between 5 and 7 kilos, while during the OS at Athens the lost of weight was between 10 and 12 kilos.

Theo

PS The Dutch team confirmed these statements on their VideoBlog.

canyonoak
Aug. 4, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'm happy that so far, the immense money/time/energy/use of technology and planning have been paying off for the comfort of the horses and relief of the humans<g>.

I suspect that if all keeps going with no major disasters, the riders will be forever spoiled for future Olympic sites.

I mean--the GROOMS have their own swimming pool, great food, internet access and comfy beds--only 2 to a room.

Hotcha!

ridgeback
Aug. 4, 2008, 09:04 PM
Yea it's a shame how they treat their citizens and animals of China but hey the olympics are great.:no:

redhorse5
Aug. 4, 2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/sports/olympics/05storm.html?ref=world

Oh my.

Fixerupper
Aug. 5, 2008, 01:35 AM
Yea it's a shame how they treat their citizens and animals of China but hey the olympics are great.:no:

OK we get it...you hate China.
China is a nation in transition...an emerging nation as it were. Yes, they have a poor record of human rights and they eat endangered species.
When America was an emerging nation they had slavery, oppressive taxation and wild west vigilantism.
In Canada they deported thousands of French Acadians because they wouldn't swear allegiance to the English queen/king and used destitute Irish & Chinese as virtual slave labour.
In the 30's in America (a not so emerging nation), during the dust bowl & depression years many citizens starved and the government did nothing. Women did not have the right to vote until 1920 and the right of 'African Americans' to vote was not ratified until 1971.
Moreover, Holland, Spain, France & England invaded Africa, South & Central America, and South East Asia, making them 'colonies' and in many cases killing off the majority of the indigenous populations. China to date has 'colonized' Tibet. America, in living memory, has 'invaded' VietNam and Iraq. Justified you say...not to the citizens of said countries.
You want to hate a country? Hate Zimbabwe...because the poor citizens cannot rid themselves of Robert Mugabe, hate North Korea because they cannot rid themselves of Kim Jong-Il.
No, the world is not America...or is it...just a small beat behind?

And just to keep it horse related - by all accounts the horses are adjusting well to the weather conditions in Hong Kong...barring a typhoon (is there someone we can blame for typhoons?).

This rant brought to you courtesy of Fixerupper.

Mike Matson
Aug. 5, 2008, 01:48 AM
Theo, any reports on how much weight the riders are gaining? ;)

freestyle2music
Aug. 5, 2008, 06:30 AM
Theo, any reports on how much weight the riders are gaining? ;)

A very valid question, because I know these riders are normally riding 5-7 horses every day. And since some weeks ago they are back to only 1 horse.
Next to this I am getting much reports of dinning with the Dutch swimming team, dinning with the Dutch soccer team, dinning with the Dutch Olympic Federation officials etc.... On the other hand we receive a video-update every day and the riders seem to stay in good shape.

Theo

Mike Matson
Aug. 5, 2008, 06:56 AM
Well, we will be able to see when they do the vet jog. :)

freestyle2music
Aug. 5, 2008, 07:24 AM
Well, we will be able to see when they do the vet jog. :)

Yes, but these videos are on my "friends-only videoblog", because many riders do use RK/HF to stay in shape :D

But Mike just to quit joking: wouldn't it be wonderfull if Klaus would do the same as Sjef and video and broadcast everything that is happening "behind the scene" :yes::yes:

ridgeback
Aug. 5, 2008, 07:48 AM
OK we get it...you hate China.
China is a nation in transition...an emerging nation as it were. Yes, they have a poor record of human rights and they eat endangered species.
When America was an emerging nation they had slavery, oppressive taxation and wild west vigilantism.
In Canada they deported thousands of French Acadians because they wouldn't swear allegiance to the English queen/king and used destitute Irish & Chinese as virtual slave labour.
In the 30's in America (a not so emerging nation), during the dust bowl & depression years many citizens starved and the government did nothing. Women did not have the right to vote until 1920 and the right of 'African Americans' to vote was not ratified until 1971.
Moreover, Holland, Spain, France & England invaded Africa, South & Central America, and South East Asia, making them 'colonies' and in many cases killing off the majority of the indigenous populations. China to date has 'colonized' Tibet. America, in living memory, has 'invaded' VietNam and Iraq. Justified you say...not to the citizens of said countries.
You want to hate a country? Hate Zimbabwe...because the poor citizens cannot rid themselves of Robert Mugabe, hate North Korea because they cannot rid themselves of Kim Jong-Il.
No, the world is not America...or is it...just a small beat behind?

And just to keep it horse related - by all accounts the horses are adjusting well to the weather conditions in Hong Kong...barring a typhoon (is there someone we can blame for typhoons?).

This rant brought to you courtesy of Fixerupper.

First I don't hate anything and if you are comparing the U.S. and Canada to what China has done or is doing then you really don't have a clue.

Reynard Ridge
Aug. 5, 2008, 08:05 AM
This rant brought to you courtesy of Fixerupper.Well said. I think the key point is that they are emerging. China certainly has a horrific history of human rights violations, but the government is torn between a desire to play on the world stage and to keep citizens in quiet lock step. It gets harder and harder to keep people oppressed when they can send video to Youtube from their cell phones. China has a long, long way to go. But, it does seem as though they are moving, and moving in a direction of increased individual autonomy. JMHO.

If memory serves, the advance team who were in HK last year had a typhoon to deal with, and they managed. My understanding is that there is slip in the time schedule should events need to be postponed due to rain/wind conditions. Certainly, the HK venue, with all its warts, was a much better idea than trying to create an equestrian venue in Beijing. That said, in my opinion, HK is a rather sucky place to be in August. :yes:

freestyle2music
Aug. 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
First I don't hate anything and if you are comparing the U.S. and Canada to what China has done or is doing then you really don't have a clue.

Ridgeback can you try to stay on topic and please don't try to hijack all my topics.

Theo

ridgeback
Aug. 5, 2008, 11:05 AM
Ridgeback can you try to stay on topic and please don't try to hijack all my topics.

Theo

Theo my dear don't flatter yourself:) I am on topic and have always been with your threads...We aren't going to have another melt down like you did with the Sue Blinks thing are you;). By the way I agree it appears the horses are treated like royalty forgive me for pointing out their human rights record...:no::sadsmile: By the way I'm still waiting for an apology for the false information you have put on these boards about me...

Happy Feet
Aug. 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
But Mike just to quit joking: wouldn't it be wonderfull if Klaus would do the same as Sjef and video and broadcast everything that is happening "behind the scene" :yes::yes:

I agree. Americans are far behind in the ability to market dressage to the general public. A web blog or video of what it takes to make a go at the medals would humanize and maybe help take some of the perception of "Elitism" out of the sport. It's too bad they couldn't capitalize on such a big event.

freestyle2music
Aug. 5, 2008, 11:12 AM
Theo my dear don't flatter yourself:) I am on topic and have always been with your threads...We aren't going to have another melt down like you did with the Sue Blinks thing are you;). By the way I agree it appears the horses are treated like royalty forgive me for pointing out their human rights record...:no::sadsmile: By the way I'm still waiting for an apology for the false information you have put on these boards about me...

Before putting you on my ignore list I will tell you that the biggest equestrian bulletin board in the world Bokt.nl has a few very usefull rules. One of the rules is that you have to post at least 20 usefull posts a month, otherwise you are only allowed to post on the forum called "the chickens" .

Theo

ridgeback
Aug. 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
Before putting you on my ignore list I will tell you that the biggest equestrian bulletin board in the world Bokt.nl has a few very usefull rules. One of the rules is that you have to post at least 20 usefull posts a month, otherwise you are only allowed to post on the forum called "the chickens" .

Theo

Is that why you are over here:lol:? Please put me on your ignore list because I don't need people spreading lies about me on this board and if that is what you are all about..IGNORE AWAY my friend.