PDA

View Full Version : NBC site: Streaming ALL of the Equestrian events!

caffeinated
Aug. 1, 2008, 01:04 PM
Yippee skippee! All the Equestrian events will be available via streaming interwebz magic (see press release here (http://www.phelpsmediagroup.com/viewarticle.php?id=3709))

http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/index.html

Frank B
Aug. 1, 2008, 05:18 PM
Here's a list of broadcast times for the equestrian events. It's not from an NBC site, so can't vouch for it's accuracy.

Team Eventing Dressage
SATURDAY, AUGUST 9--DAY 1 on USA and USA HD 2 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Team Dressage
SUNDAY, AUGUST 10--DAY 2 on USA and USA HD 2 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Cross Country
MONDAY, AUGUST 11--DAY 3 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m

Eventing Cross Country
TUESDAY, AUGUST 12--DAY 4 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Jumping
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13--DAY 5 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Team Dressage
THURSDAY, AUGUST 14--DAY 6 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Team Dressage
FRIDAY, AUGUST 15--DAY 7 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Individual Jumping Competition
SATURDAY, AUGUST 16--DAY 8 on MSNBC 5 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Individual Dressage
SUNDAY, AUGUST 17--DAY 9 on NBC and NBC HD 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Team Jumping Gold Medal Final
MONDAY, AUGUST 18--DAY 10 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 19--DAY 11 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Individual Dressage Gold Medal Final
THURSDAY, AUGUST 21--DAY 13 on NBC and NBC HD 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Check your cable/satellite guides for USA, OXYGEN, and MSNBC channel numbers

War Admiral
Aug. 2, 2008, 12:38 AM
Just a heads-up though, that Silverlight is one wicked PITA of an install if you don't have Vista. I don't, and trying to install it via Firefox got me in an endless reinstallation loop; trying to install it via IE7 took 4 tries and FINALLY worked. Then the NBC site made me upgrade to the beta and I got to start all over again. :rolleyes:

So in other words, NOT the "10-second install" Microshite is touting, so don't be trying to install this 5 minutes before the dressage starts!

Gayla
Aug. 2, 2008, 02:51 AM
Just a heads-up though, that Silverlight is one wicked PITA of an install if you don't have Vista. I don't, and trying to install it via Firefox got me in an endless reinstallation loop; trying to install it via IE7 took 4 tries and FINALLY worked. Then the NBC site made me upgrade to the beta and I got to start all over again. :rolleyes:

So in other words, NOT the "10-second install" Microshite is touting, so don't be trying to install this 5 minutes before the dressage starts!
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to put hubby on the job so I don't get an aneurysm.

Frank B
Aug. 2, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'll just stick with the boob-toob. The airing times are convenient, too.

canyonoak
Aug. 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have Windows XP and installing silverlight took 15 seconds, and Ive already watched videos ,great quality.

As the TV "coverage" given is OLYMPIC not equestrian coverage, I ve got fingers crossed that the livestream works decently, because the TV coverage, historically, has been about 2 minutes out of every 2-3 hours worth of volleyball/table tennis/rhythmic gymnastics --and I LIKE those sports! but when I want to see horses, I want to see horses.
<g>

ivy62
Aug. 2, 2008, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have the link for the installation? I have XP...thanks

canyonoak
Aug. 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/pluginsneeded.html

scroll down list for silverlight

hope this helps!

Ambrey
Aug. 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
Is it possible to record the events to watch later?

What did we do before tivo?

nature
Aug. 3, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have XP and used Mozilla, the 4.7 MB file did download in about 10 seconds and installed in even less. It is up and running without problem. If you are having problems, your machine might not be up to the task memory wise or something.

Kenike
Aug. 3, 2008, 05:59 PM
how does one know if it's up & running. Seemed to install for me on Mozilla in about 20 seconds, but I'm not sure where to find it...

PolymerChem
Aug. 3, 2008, 06:40 PM
To test Silverlight out, click on the "watch now" banner at the top of the nbcolympics website. This will open a window that has lots of videos to choose from. If the videos play, the plugin works.

Peggy
Aug. 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
Silverlight appears to have installed OK on my Intel MacBook on Safari running OS 10.5.4. At least the video on the NBC Olympics site played. Took more than 20 seconds but definitely less than a few minutes.

Kenike
Aug. 4, 2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks! It appears to be working alright. I guess I'll know if it's worth the big tada when the Games actually start. Right now it's stalling & buffering every little bit during a video (and I've tried several)....very annoying

Delaneythehorsegirl
Aug. 4, 2008, 11:04 AM
Silverlight appears to have installed OK on my Intel MacBook on Safari running OS 10.5.4. At least the video on the NBC Olympics site played. Took more than 20 seconds but definitely less than a few minutes.

Yay! That means my laptop will be able to stream it in Jamaica! (I am in MacBook Pro laptop.)

JDW
Aug. 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yay! That means my laptop will be able to stream it in Jamaica! (I am in MacBook Pro laptop.)

Unfortunately, I believe you can only view these videos from the U.S. NBC and their distribution rights...

ponyjumper4
Aug. 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
Here's a list of broadcast times for the equestrian events. It's not from an NBC site, so can't vouch for it's accuracy.

Team Eventing Dressage
SATURDAY, AUGUST 9--DAY 1 on USA and USA HD 2 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Team Dressage
SUNDAY, AUGUST 10--DAY 2 on USA and USA HD 2 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Cross Country
MONDAY, AUGUST 11--DAY 3 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m

Eventing Cross Country
TUESDAY, AUGUST 12--DAY 4 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Jumping
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13--DAY 5 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Team Dressage
THURSDAY, AUGUST 14--DAY 6 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Team Dressage
FRIDAY, AUGUST 15--DAY 7 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Individual Jumping Competition
SATURDAY, AUGUST 16--DAY 8 on MSNBC 5 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Individual Dressage
SUNDAY, AUGUST 17--DAY 9 on NBC and NBC HD 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

MONDAY, AUGUST 18--DAY 10 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 19--DAY 11 on OXYGEN 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Individual Dressage Gold Medal Final
THURSDAY, AUGUST 21--DAY 13 on NBC and NBC HD 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Check your cable/satellite guides for USA, OXYGEN, and MSNBC channel numbers

I don't think that's right. I'm looking at the Beijing site and it looks as though Dressage doesn't start until the 13th, but this schedule says the 10th.

Peggy
Aug. 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
I don't think that's right. I'm looking at the Beijing site and it looks as though Dressage doesn't start until the 13th, but this schedule says the 10th.
August 10 is likely the second day of eventing dressage.

Tanyanoel
Aug. 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
The US can put a man on the moon but not put a CLEAR EASY TO FIND LINK on an olympic webpage stating how to watch live video from the Olympics???????

Where on this page does it say click here to watch live streaming video??????

Peggy
Aug. 4, 2008, 09:25 PM
Either click on one of the hyperlinks to the right of the WATCH NOW rectangle to the lower right of NBC/Beijing logo at the top left of the screen (note-these do take a few seconds to appear; when the page first loads, it isn't there) or try the "Video" link in the blue rectangle that is in the bar of blue rectangles. I tried to add helpful directional arrows to the attached screen shot, which may or may not be all that helpful.

I found the "Silverlight" download by Googling.

ozjb
Aug. 5, 2008, 12:42 AM
"Unfortunately, I believe you can only view these videos from the U.S. NBC and their distribution rights..."

I was afraid this might be true. Rats. Does anyone know of a way those of us outside the US can watch?

As an American in Australia, I have been following all the teams from the US and Australia. And am feeling really grumping about not being able to watch ANY of them! LOL

dressagetraks
Aug. 5, 2008, 03:44 PM
For those technically challenged like myself who have been stumbling around the site trying to find any schedule or anything on the online streaming, I think I finally have found it. Hope this works (probably will be in Central Time).

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=CT/sport=EQ/online.html

Still can't find an answer yet to the question on whether you can download these complete broadcasts later. If I watched all of it as written, work would object, and my ISP would hit the daily limit almost daily.

SGray
Aug. 5, 2008, 03:56 PM
I've signed up for alerts

try and get the word out - perhaps with many requests for alerts NBC will understand the popularity of Equestrian sports

in fact - I think I'll sign up for alerts on all Equestrian

SGray
Aug. 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
thanks so much dressagetraks!!

ridgeback
Aug. 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
Equestrian enthusiasts will get to watch the 2008 Olympic competition in dressage, eventing, and show jumping from start-to-finish, thanks to NBC's decision to stream 2,200 hours of live coverage of 25 sports at NBCOlympics.com.

Fans will have the option of accessing a live internet stream of the global feed coming out of Hong Kong or viewing at their convenience by visiting NBCOlympics.com, where the material will be made available on an on-demand basis, along with hundreds of additional hours of background on the athletes, schedules, and related material.

The NBCOlympics.com programming is offered free to viewers, who need only an up-to-date computer and Microsoft's new dowloadable Silverlight media player to enjoy the many hours of equestrian programming. Silverlight is currently available for free download at Microsoft.com, and will soon be available at NBCOlympics.com, which expects to also be offering the next-generation Silverlight 2 in time for the Olympics.

The live streams will be offered in three formats designed to accommodate viewers' computer specs and media preferences.

Sorry if this was already posted..

SGray
Aug. 6, 2008, 10:48 AM
hey ridgeback - see thread by caffeinated

http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=160170

ridgeback
Aug. 6, 2008, 11:02 AM

Like I said sorry if it's been posted..I don't follow other threads other than what is on the dressage board.. I didn't know this was even here until they moved it to this forum!!

Moderator 1
Aug. 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry for the confusion--we're moving and merging the Olympic traffic to this forum, so everything's centralized and there's less duplication.

Thanks!
Mod 1

SGray
Aug. 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
what's the time difference? isn't Hong Kong ~12 hours ahead of us?

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 6, 2008, 03:40 PM

If you are using a PC, go to the bottom right hand corner of your screen and double click on the time. A window will pop up, click on the tab that says "Time Zones". You can tell the difference between where you are and time zone in the world using that.

Hazelnut
Aug. 7, 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to put hubby on the job so I don't get an aneurysm.

ditto that;)

natb
Aug. 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
Now with the live feed does that mean you can only watch it live? or do you know if you can go back and rewatch it later? The eventing-showjumping starts at 6am-11am on the 12th and I will be at work so i want to watch it later, does anyone know if that will be possible?

Thanks

BAC
Aug. 7, 2008, 11:54 AM

They are 12 hours ahead of NY time. Depends on where you are located.

Larksmom
Aug. 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am trundling thru the install at the mo, [15 minutes left to go...] but I have a very ssslllloooowwwww pc. High speed not available so I have constant buffering. Will this help or am I still doomed?
And I noticed two days of cross country. I am guessing they want to go in the cool of the day so they are going on two days. Does anyone know anything about this?

PuffyDo
Aug. 7, 2008, 05:03 PM
woah woah woah... I thought this player was only available to PC and Microsoft peeps (i.e. no Mac people), yet I was able to download the player (MBP, Leopard, Safari) in no time flat and watch some videos already posted. Does this mean I am in?! Or are they going to cut me off right when the good stuff starts?

cevent
Aug. 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
Like natb said, will we be able to go back and watch it later?

Also, NBC said on 8/8 dressage will be streaming online in my area from 6:30pm-9:55pm. Does that mean that for those 3+ hours it will be all the dressage, or will there be other sports shown too?

Guin
Aug. 7, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have Win XP and IE 7 and it downloaded in about 10 seconds, no problem.

When you bring up a video, click on the "Enhanced" option to the bottom right of the video square and it will play it full screen. Much easier to watch.

Southernexposure
Aug. 7, 2008, 09:18 PM

Ok the "Nothing says I love you like a tractor.." Total side ripper!!! ( the term my brother and i used if your side hurt really bad from laughing) LOVE IT!!!

TB or not TB?
Aug. 7, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey kids,

Here's a link to the schedule of all the live streaming videos available in YOUR timezone. :) If the time zone is wrong for you, change it near the top.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=PT/day=-1/time=1020/online.html

Beezer
Aug. 7, 2008, 09:41 PM
Either click on one of the hyperlinks to the right of the WATCH NOW rectangle to the lower right of NBC/Beijing logo at the top left of the screen (note-these do take a few seconds to appear; when the page first loads, it isn't there) or try the "Video" link in the blue rectangle that is in the bar of blue rectangles. I tried to add helpful directional arrows to the attached screen shot, which may or may not be all that helpful.

I found the "Silverlight" download by Googling.

Rats. I can't download it on my work computer because it has to be approved by "administrator." :mad: Anyone know how I can get around that? :p (Not a problem on the laptop at home, but since most of the horsie events will be going on while I'm at work....)

I suppose I could just bring the laptop into work, but then how would I get any work done?? :confused:

Peggy
Aug. 7, 2008, 11:22 PM
Rats. I can't download it on my work computer because it has to be approved by "administrator." :mad: Anyone know how I can get around that? :p (Not a problem on the laptop at home, but since most of the horsie events will be going on while I'm at work....)

I suppose I could just bring the laptop into work, but then how would I get any work done?? :confused:
Is there a functional difference b/w not getting work done b/c you're goofing off on your laptop vs goofing off on the work computer:D.

Can't help you with the administrator thing. We have the same issue at school (unless, of course, you have a Mac, against which all of the Windows big brother stuff is impotent). Sometimes surprising people are administrators, or at least have the password. You might even know one. (For some reason I seem to be one at school.) Failing that could you somehow make access to Silverlight work- related?

Beezer
Aug. 8, 2008, 02:27 PM
Yippee!!

With the help of an understanding soul, I was able to get the necessary software downloaded. (Take THAT, you pesky administrator, you! :p)

Work? What's that??

Roozle
Aug. 8, 2008, 03:36 PM
Is there any way to view any of the online streams with a Powerbook that's from the dark old ages of PowerPC chips? I keep getting an annoying (and mystifying) message that only Intel Macs are accceptable.

Or should I just go out and buy a new (Intel) one?! (if only...)

dogchushu
Aug. 8, 2008, 04:54 PM
Yippee! Silverlight seems to be working for me.

Now I just need to find a geek who can connect my laptop to my big screen TV! My brother did that once before, and I'll have to figure out how he managed it!

MEP
Aug. 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Is there any way to view any of the online streams with a Powerbook that's from the dark old ages of PowerPC chips? I keep getting an annoying (and mystifying) message that only Intel Macs are accceptable.

Or should I just go out and buy a new (Intel) one?! (if only...)

Afraid they're only supporting the intel based macs (I also have an old G4 powerbook, but bought an intel Mac Mini a while ago, so according to my Apple guru/pal, I'm good to go on the mini but not the powerbook) ... sorry. Guess you'll have to beg, borrow or steal (well, maybe not steal) another machine!

eventer12
Aug. 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
dressage is on yay!!!

JDufort
Aug. 8, 2008, 07:50 PM
Kyle is our YR coach, and an all around good guy. What thrill to see him live at the Olymoics! Madison Park is fancy, but quite the challenging ride.

Peggy
Aug. 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
Can I just say that this is incredibly cool. I have a horse cantering across my computer screen and a live commentary (by whom??)

Jazzy Lady
Aug. 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
Okay, I don't think that Irish horse should have beaten Parker by so much... Parker was full of himself and tense, but he wasn't completely blowing movements like that... are the judges drinking some chinese tea?

Clayton's test... WOW. Gorgeous!

Denali
Aug. 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
ok I dont know why but I could not get a schedule to come up on the NBC site.

I found this:

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/EQ.shtml

which doesnt tell broadcast times, but at least days of events. This may be a double post or maybe it will help someone else like me who was struggling with NBC's site.

woo hoo, love live stream, TOO COOL! :D

Beezer
Aug. 8, 2008, 08:57 PM
How come I can't hear the commentary?? I see the written transcript by there are no voices in my head! (Well, at least not from the headphones. :p )

Peggy
Aug. 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
How come I can't hear the commentary?? I see the written transcript by there are no voices in my head! (Well, at least not from the headphones. :p )Only written commentary here, plus ambient and announcer sound

Beezer
Aug. 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
HA! So I'm not such a dressage dope! I was right in thinking that Gina just had a very nice test.

PiaffeDreams
Aug. 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, is there a plug-in needed? I got Silverlight downloaded, have some video and audio feed, but only get a second or two and then it has to "buffer" for 20 -30 sec.. I miss the whole test.

I'm on satellite with the extra $$ for extra bandwidth... so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone know whats up?

Kenike
Aug. 8, 2008, 10:39 PM
Piaffe, I've had buffering problems from day one. BEFORE it was live! It drives me crazy, but I guess I'll take it in order to watch live

Firebug
Aug. 9, 2008, 01:56 PM
PiaffeDreams,

I have the same problem. I downloaded Silverlight, The video comes up for a second or two and then it has to "buffer" for 20 -30 sec. And I miss the whole test. It's driving me nuts!

Anyone know how to fix this?