PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Only - embarrassing question!

alter me
Jun. 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thus the alter. :)

Do any of you have suggestions for dealing with "that time of the month" on all-day or multi-day rides? Just hasn't come up before, but this time the calendar says I'll get hit with it right in the middle of a multi-day ride. I'll be overnighting at ranches, but out in the "outback" all day, with no facilities. More worried about comfort than privacy - I find a lot of products chafe if I spend a long time in the saddle, so I usually just do shorter or no riding those days. This time I'll have no choice! Help!

Prieta
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just use tampons - they do not get in the way. Do you have dog poop bags that you can use to dispose of tampons? If so, then double bag it - dispose of tampon in the bag then expel as much air from it before you tie it. After you tie it, turn the bag upside down then you have a bag that you can tie it again. This way, no odor will escape from the used tampon. Hopefully, you'll be comfortable during the ride.

marta
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:04 PM
you can use the search function for a really long, educational and funny thread on the subject.
once you switch, you'll never go back.
and depending on how heavy your flow is, you may be able to leave it in without emptying for a whole day or even 2.
of course, it'd probably be best if you tested this before your ride...

Auventera Two
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:07 PM
Can you talk to the doctor and see if there is a medication you can take to delay it for a week or two?

Beverley
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:12 PM
If you are going to be in bear or lion country, don't be alone anywhere. If you think a dog's nose in the crotch is annoying, well...you can be smelled from quite a distance by these predators.

paintedtrails
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:19 PM
you can use the search function for a really long, educational and funny thread on the subject.
and depending on how heavy your flow is, you may be able to leave it in without emptying for a whole day or even 2.

I believe 8 hours/overnight is the MAX safe time before risking Toxic Shock Syndrome... I wouldn't count on that!

Rancher
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:26 PM
Take a small pack of baby wipes with you. I found this to be the MOST important. I don't really need to go into details.

Eventer55
Jun. 4, 2008, 03:31 PM
I may be crazy, but I read somewhere that you can go to the doctor and have something done to stop your period. You should ask your gyn and explain the situation. In fact it was about women who travel in Africa and lions. . . Also, I carry baby wipes everywhere.

marta
Jun. 4, 2008, 04:09 PM
I believe 8 hours/overnight is the MAX safe time before risking Toxic Shock Syndrome... I wouldn't count on that!

this is not a tampon. no TSS risk from this. do some reading, it's right there in the Q&A:

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is considered a serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by toxin-producing strains of the Staphylococcus aureus bacterium. TSS has been linked to high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. There are now regulations in labelling for tampon absorbency to decrease the risk of TSS.

Symptoms of TSS often mimic the flu and can include sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, or a rash that looks like a sunburn during your period or a few days after.

Remember that the vagina is continually self-cleansing washing away dead cells and bacteria. The DivaCup™ is non-absorbent and is only a receptacle and does not disturb the natural moisture level in the vagina. An increased risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is not associated with the use of menstrual cups.

alter me
Jun. 4, 2008, 06:47 PM
Jeez, more tips that I expected! I have heard of those cups, but never tried one. I do use tampons, but the problem has been that as I approach old age my periods are much heavier than they used to be - more like teenage-style (think "Carrie"). So I tend to double up all kinds of protection, especially if I don't know when I'll have a chance to stop and change, such as when traveling. It's the pads that are the worst for chafing. I'll just have to ask everyone to stop for me frequently, I think! But I will ask my doctor if there are any meds he recommends that might be stronger than the usual Advil/Motrin, etc.

alter me
Jun. 4, 2008, 06:53 PM

I may have to look up that thread. It's the emptying part that makes me cringe a bit!

paintedtrails
Jun. 4, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ooops...I didn't look up the thread you referenced...my bad!:o

alter me
Jun. 4, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, that old thread is educational. Thanks for the tip!

For anyone else who wants to know:
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=25123&highlight=diva+cup

jeano
Jun. 5, 2008, 07:37 AM
My cousin sells the Diva cup--I missed this option due to being menopausal before the technology, darn it. My cousin is in her early thirties, has used this product for ages, like 8-10 years, I think, says she has never lost one down the toilet etc etc. So, depending on your age, of course this could be more economical, not to mention more ecological than tampons or pads, I'm thinkin'.

Although I dont have any personal experience, I cant imagine that the emptying of the contents could be any worse than dealing with a used tampon on the trail....

Altamont Sport Horses
Jun. 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
Birth control pills can be used to delay a woman's cycle for situations like this. You should consult with your doctor. I worked in women's reproductive health for years and it was very common that a doctor would recommend her patient continue on from one pack of pills directly to the next pack of pills without permitting the period to start in the situation that she just couldn't be getting her period (ie. honeymoon, traveling, etc.). They actually have birth control pills that keep a woman from menstruating for three months now. Some women do this also to prevent menstrual related migraines. This technique does not require the new 3-month cycle type of birth control pills, however. If you don't currently use birth control pills now I recommend you ask your doctor what your options are for delaying your period.

Don't know if this is an option for you but I thought I'd throw it out there. With this available to me, I'm much rather do that than deal with Diva Cups, tampons, etc. on the trail so long as I did not have any health conditions preventing me from using oral contraceptives. Again, consult with your doctor before doing such a thing.

tikidoc
Jun. 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
I second the Diva Cup suggestion. Much more comfortable than tampons. I don't think I'd be leaving it in as long as the previous poster suggested but you can leave them longer than tampons without leaking.

wendy
Jun. 5, 2008, 03:49 PM
they have birth control pills and IUDs available now where you get NO periods, ever. Ask your doc about Lybreal. I don't know why any woman who isn't trying to conceive would bother having periods now that there is a choice.

gabz
Jun. 5, 2008, 06:35 PM
If you do use a medication, don't fully rely on it.
When I had to "extend" my time before a period - by taking an extra week of Birth Control pills, I still had spotting.

And of course, there is the option of using tampons AND a pad. You can dispose of the tampon and still have the pad.

But the diva cup sounds interesting too. The emptying part might be more difficult though unless there are porta or flush toilets ???

Appsolute
Jun. 5, 2008, 07:51 PM
I use some thing like the diva cup called "instead" they carry them at walgreens. And they are DISPOSABLE. Just wrap it up, and dispose of it properly.

Works great, you can leave it for more then 8 hours (like the diva cup). Change at night and in AM and you should be fine for a full day of riding.

I clicked on the other link also.. I do not find "Instead" messy at all, and there certainly isn't any re-using:eek: like the Diva Cup. May not be the most "green" option, but great for trips like this.

For me, its a must have on mountain biking / rafting trips in the summer!

marta
Jun. 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
Not really sure why handling of a blood soaked tampon or pad would be more pleasant than emptying out a blood filled cup.
And for those of you having concerns about emptying it out on a trail, while it may take a bit longer than it take to just squat down and pee, it really shouldn't be any more complicated than itd be if you needed to switch a pad or a tampon.
It saves you a ton of $ and it is so much more eco friendly than tampons pads or instead.
Love my Diva cup!

strawberry roan
Jun. 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
Wow! Don't know what rock I have been under but I have never, ever heard of this Diva Cup! What an eye opener! Thanks! :)

marta
Jun. 5, 2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't know about it until I read about it on COTH either.
I switched and never looked back:)

mtangel
Jun. 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
There is also a procedure that a gynecologist can do to prevent periods. It is ABLATION; basically they "sear" your insides so you don't bleed. The older I get the heavier mine are also and I'm seriously thinking about going this route.

Carol Ames
Jun. 5, 2008, 09:47 PM
Please, whatever you do,NO premarin!; ii took it it for all the right reasons; prevent Alzheimers; osteoporosis; They know now that it does NEITHER of those things, but, does cause strokes, and heart attacks; I had none of the common risk factors for stroke,but , had a massive one which, I was lucky to survive!

dressagetraks
Jun. 5, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have never heard of a diva cup. Wandered to the other thread, but it's far too long for skimming while my computer switches data fields on report setup between jobs at work, which is when I mainly COTH. So sorry if this question is a repeat, but how are they on, um, comfort? I have never really felt comfortable while wearing a tampon (physically comfortable, I mean), use pads much more.

You learn something new every day. :)

alter me
Jun. 5, 2008, 11:25 PM
The cups, such as Instead, Diva, etc. look really interesting. I'm swayed by the number of athletes who use them (including you horsie athletes here!! and swimmers!!! Can it be that easy?). I don't feel confident for this trip, as I won't have time to practice. But I am going to give them a try at home and see how I like them. If menopause takes too many more years I may go for the various medical interventions several have suggested! Really interesting variety of solutions we all have, eh? I appreciate all the suggestions! :)

marta
Jun. 6, 2008, 09:20 AM
you forget it's even inserted that's how comfortable it is. tampons always left me feeling dry couple of days into my period. the diva cup allows for the natural moisture levels to be maintained while offering protection. it's really a liberating feeling. and no more of that post period "chafed vagina" feeling i used to get when i used tampons.

my periods are heavy the first 12 hours and i have to empty the cup more frequently then but after the initial 12 hours i basically leave it in all day and empty out at night when i get home. i don't even remember it's there, that's how comfortable it is. some people i know have trimmed the stem b/c they found it annoying but i also think it's something that you initially notice and then once you get used to it, you no longer do.

there are other manufacturers who make the cups, too. i think another one that i see at the whole foods is called "the holder." same basic design, just different material. so far i have not seen any in mainstream drug stores. only in health food stores or whole foods market. but you can order it online.

irishcas
Jun. 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
Marta told me about the Diva and I went and bought it and have never bought another box of Tampons!

The cup is so awesome.

But it does take practice getting it to go in correctly and pop open. I remember on the other thread someone said you had to "get into more positions than a 10 dollar whore" and I found that to be absolutely hilarious :D

I finally figured it out, and since then have never had a wardrobe malfunction :)

I LOVE the Diva Cup, and recommend it to all the women I know. Hey it's good for the environment too.

Regards

Auventera Two
Jun. 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
So how exactly does one get this thing "out" again ??? :confused: :lol:

I cannot even imagine it.

katarine
Jun. 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
I really refuse to imagine it, so....

If you are on BC pills, please just call your doc and ask if you can skip the 'period pills' and go straight to the next month's pack of pills. That's a very common and easy way to just avoid that one period. BUT- it's your job to call the doc and get their OK ? OK?

marta
Jun. 6, 2008, 02:16 PM

do you really want me to explain step by step? you reach in and pull it out. and if you strain a bit, you don't have to reach as far.

don't want to get any more graphic than that, the mods might take an offense;)

Bogie
Jun. 6, 2008, 03:49 PM
This is what I'd recommend. I think it's more comfortable than the Diva cup. I use them when foxhunting as tampons never lasted long enough.

I use some thing like the diva cup called "instead" they carry them at walgreens. And they are DISPOSABLE. Just wrap it up, and dispose of it properly.

Works great, you can leave it for more then 8 hours (like the diva cup). Change at night and in AM and you should be fine for a full day of riding.

I clicked on the other link also.. I do not find "Instead" messy at all, and there certainly isn't any re-using:eek: like the Diva Cup. May not be the most "green" option, but great for trips like this.

alter me
Jun. 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
Okay, guys, I'm trying the Diva Cup. Gave it a few tries, but then the phone rang, so I'll have to practice more later. :P Doesn't seem at all easy at first (reminds me of trying to stuff a cat into a cardboard carrier to take to the vet...!!!):lol:, but I am encouraged by so many positive reviews, I'll keep trying....

DickHertz
Jun. 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
I can't believe I clicked into this link. I can't say you didn't warn me !

alter me
Jun. 6, 2008, 10:42 PM
I can't believe I clicked into this link. I can't say you didn't warn me !

Now you know too much! What shall we do with him, ladies?? ;)

DickHertz
Jun. 6, 2008, 11:19 PM
Now you know too much! What shall we do with him, ladies?? ;)

Don't worry...I read only two sentences of the very first paragraph. That was enough for me. :)

cowboymom
Jun. 6, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm a Diva cup person... that and a backup pad will get you through whatever you need to do. If you go the cup route, get it now and start practising. I hardly need to think about it now but there is a learning curve. If I end up in the mountains at that special time I do the cup and a major pad. It is possible to change that cup on the run but you NEED to have a kleenix or 80 in your pocket and a wet wipe would be very helpful.

I should say too I did many a pack trip with nothing but pads and survived just fine, no biggie.

Do not EVER worry about that time of the month and being in the mountains, I do it every single year and it makes not a bit of difference. Bears are obnoxious but not dumb and they are not out to get you!

alter me
Jun. 7, 2008, 09:22 AM
I'm a Diva cup person... that and a backup pad will get you through whatever you need to do. If you go the cup route, get it now and start practising. I hardly need to think about it now but there is a learning curve. If I end up in the mountains at that special time I do the cup and a major pad. It is possible to change that cup on the run but you NEED to have a kleenix or 80 in your pocket and a wet wipe would be very helpful.

I should say too I did many a pack trip with nothing but pads and survived just fine, no biggie.

Do not EVER worry about that time of the month and being in the mountains, I do it every single year and it makes not a bit of difference. Bears are obnoxious but not dumb and they are not out to get you!

I'm not worried about wild animals - I'll be with a group anyway. The worry with the pads is chafing. But I'm actually going to practice riding in some big mattress-style ones, just to get a feel for if there's a better way to sit.... When I've tried to ride in pads before I've found it very uncomfortable - bunched up, chafing, etc. I'll try the really mattressy kind and see if that is better than smaller ones. Looks like whatever I do I'll want a backup pad, so I might as well work on that, too!!

birdsong
Jun. 7, 2008, 09:34 AM
Wow I haven't read all of the threads. thankfully I am years beyond having to worry about this...Diva Cup???? What on earth is that? I'll have to google it!! What will they think of next..

irishcas
Jun. 7, 2008, 03:13 PM

Come on seriously :)

You push down like you are trying to pee as hard as you can, put two fingers up pinch it a bit and pop it out. Pour contents in the toliet, clean in sink and away you go.

Yes on the trail you'd need some bottled water I'd imagine but really it's wonderful.

Also public bathrooms you need to be slightly discrete.

But it works like a dream as lots of people have said.

Regards,

alter me
Jun. 7, 2008, 05:39 PM
Oooh, Diva Cup has passed the swimming-for-an-hour test. Tomorrow - the bike riding test. It really does just stay in place. I'm taking it out every couple hours just to see if it's working and for practice. I know, TMI.

But thanks for the tip on that, everyone!

Austin Rider
Jun. 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
This has happened to me before on multi-day rides and it was no big deal to keep a couple of tampons in my pocket and change during during "bathroom" breaks over the course of the day. I kept Ibuprofen in my pocket too for cramps. It was easy for me but maybe there's some difficulty here that I'm missing...

NovDressageRdr
Jun. 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
For some reason the thought of using a cup disgusts me. I think I will stick to tampons. After 4 years of dealing with my period and 3.8 years of it not being normal (one month on 8 months off one month on 3 months off) I will stick to something I can put in my pocket or saddle bag and not worry about emptying or washing out.

alter me
Jun. 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
Austin - that used to be fine, but as I approach menopause my periods have gotten very extreme. I find now that the first two days they are very heavy, and if I move around (trot, jog, walk) I can barely go an hour between changes, even with the maximum amount of Advil allowed, so I had switched to not exercising the first two days. I had tried using pads as a backup, but found they bunched and chafed badly. However I've (yesterday) experimented with much larger pads (the overnight style with wings) and found they don't bunch up, so that's helpful. I like the Diva Cup, too, after experimenting with that, though I haven't been able to test it on a very heavy day yet. So now I think I have an arsenal I can use on this upcoming ride.

Jess!
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:03 PM
The Diva Cup sounds very interesting, and I'll think I'll file away the information for when I get older and my periods are heavier. I'm only 22, so they're still really light.

Glad it's working well for you!

marta
Jun. 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
just keep in mind that when your period is heavy the diva cup will require more frequent emptying.
you know yourself best and you'll figure it out.

Huntertwo
Jun. 8, 2008, 03:50 PM

Marta, I totally agree with you. I read the thread about the Diva Cup on COTH along time ago and since my periods have become quite heavy (hitting the premenopausal stage) I ordered one.

I LOVE it!!! No more changing tampons every hour :no:. It doesn't matter how heavy my period is, I can go for hours, even all day without emptying it, which is very easy and clean.

Plus saving lots of money considering the price of pads and tampons.

Huntertwo
Jun. 8, 2008, 03:57 PM
Doesn't seem at all easy at first (reminds me of trying to stuff a cat into a cardboard carrier to take to the vet...!!!):lol:, but I am encouraged by so many positive reviews, I'll keep trying....

Yeah, but eventually the cat tires out and give up....lol :lol:

jengersnap
Jun. 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
I used a similar, disposable product (Instead) when I was in my teens for all day/weekend wilderness excursions. I found it very liberating :) The diva cup wasn't around at that time, and you had to dispose of the Instead when you removed it (10-12 hours). So that takes care of some of the gross factor if you don't want to be washing one out and reusing. I just kept handwipes handy for cleanup. I suppose you could also wear disposable exam gloves to keep your hands extra clean since there's no lavatories on a trail ride. ;)

I recently had something a lot more, um, "liberating" done...I'm healing up after a hyst due to other things. Alter Me, if you're experiancing heavier then usual ordeals, you may want to have an ultrasound and possibly a CT done. What was found in me gave me the equivolent of a couple of months' preg abdomen.

half seat
Jun. 10, 2008, 01:45 PM
Don't worry...I read only two sentences of the very first paragraph. That was enough for me. :)

Clearly not if you saw that reply. ;):lol:

lolalola
Jun. 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
Ah, the advantages of menopause!

2Horse
Jun. 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
Ah, the advantages of a hysterectomy! At age 30!! LOL:cool: I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. I wish I would have known about it though when I still had the parts.

Perfect Pony
Jun. 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
So with all the raves about the Diva Cup I ordered one, and it arrived on day 2 of my period. I have to say, I am having issues :( I ordered size 2 because I am over 30, but I worry it's too big, it's hard to use, it's really hard to turn (they say it should turn easily) and it was almost painful removing. I am so bummed out and would love to hear any suggestions. I have always been a tampon user but in the past few years tampons have made me uncomfortable, and pads are just a royal pain!

help!

marta
Jun. 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
there is a learning curve.
it gets easier. i honestly don't think there is much of a difference between size A and B. i've used both in the past although i'm over 30 and i had one vaginal delivery.

try different positions for insertion. as far as painful removal, try to bear down as you're reaching for the cup, it then practically slides into your fingertips, and you should be able to pull it out with ease and without discomfort.

LSM1212
Jun. 17, 2008, 01:14 PM
Birth control pills can be used to delay a woman's cycle for situations like this. You should consult with your doctor. I worked in women's reproductive health for years and it was very common that a doctor would recommend her patient continue on from one pack of pills directly to the next pack of pills without permitting the period to start in the situation that she just couldn't be getting her period (ie. honeymoon, traveling, etc.). They actually have birth control pills that keep a woman from menstruating for three months now. Some women do this also to prevent menstrual related migraines. This technique does not require the new 3-month cycle type of birth control pills, however. If you don't currently use birth control pills now I recommend you ask your doctor what your options are for delaying your period.

Don't know if this is an option for you but I thought I'd throw it out there. With this available to me, I'm much rather do that than deal with Diva Cups, tampons, etc. on the trail so long as I did not have any health conditions preventing me from using oral contraceptives. Again, consult with your doctor before doing such a thing.

The 3 month pill (Seasonale) is what I'm on. I've been on BC pills since I was 19 (for medical reasons) and I'm 35 now. It's nice to deal with "Aunt Flo" only 4 times a year. And mine are actually lighter because of it and only last 3 days. :D I'll admit, I don't ride during that time... since it's only 3 days. Just not comfy for me regardless of what I use (tampon, pad, etc.).

Never tried the Diva cup, etc. Wierds me out a little bit actually. But JMO.

FortheFunofitFarm
Jun. 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
Perfect Pony -

When you turn it - the top of the cup will not turn at the same rate as the bottom that you are holding onto ;) Turn 1/4 or 1/2 turn and then wait a few seconds and then you will feel the top of the cup slowly turn and "catch up" to the bottom. Does that make sense? I think the strength of your vaginal muscles will determine whether the cup is more "easily" turned or not, more than the cup being too large. Especially if you haven't delivered vaginally.

As far as pain on removal....make sure you tip it slightly so that one side is removed first to release the vacuum effect. If you are removing it by pulling it down evenly...all sides are "locked". Slightly tip one side out first and it will release and remove easily.

If you run it under hot water and warm it...feeling it turn on insertion will be easier. :)

Don't give up :D

betsyk
Jun. 19, 2008, 03:16 PM
I noticed in one of the comments above that someone was talking about taking max doses of advil and having heavier than normal flow. Consider that advil can be an anticoagulant - found that one out the hard way! A half day of cramps may be a lot more manageable than the alternative.

alter me
Jun. 19, 2008, 05:46 PM
Re: the advil/anticoagulant, my understanding is that advil (ibuprofen) is an anti-prostaglandin, and prostaglandin is the hormone (or whatever you call it) that causes the cramping. I've never had any luck with Tylenol, and aspirin is definitely a blood thinner, so I'd assume makes cramps worse. What does everyone else use for cramps? I think drugs like Midol contain tylenol, plus other ingredients.

Minor cramps I can ignore, but sometimes I've got the ones that make me almost nauseous, so painful I can't concentrate on anything else or even sleep.

I've used some herbal teas in the past (containing mugwort for example) but they tend to be a little narcotic - make me clumsy and groggy and hungover feeling.

Chiniko
Jun. 19, 2008, 08:02 PM

I Love Instead!!!! Never gonna wear a tampon or a pad again!!! I also like Depo Provera or a pill that extends the time you don't have a period. And if you are on a non tri cyclic pill then skip the sugar pill and carry on with the bc. prolonging your monthly friend.