PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Palomino? Or what?

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
This filly is by Zillionair out of Cassie's Gold by Strike The Gold. I have never had a palomino TB foal this dark!!! :eek: Is this filly a "true chocolate palomino?" Or is it possible to have a chocolate palomino TB? This filly was a very dark palomino at birth, but not so dark, that I ever dreamed she would come out this color. Her mane has a silver look to it. I posted a few photos here and also a link to show her as a foal and how much she has changed in color.
Cassie's Gold Locket
http://www.norsirefarms.com/lacyphotos.htm

Erin Pittman
May. 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
Wow! What a gorgeous shade of palomino! Chocolate or not, she looks yummy.

JB
May. 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
She does indeed look to be a "chocolate" pali, which is really just a dark sooty palomino. Obviously she is palomino, and it appears that she got a hefty dose of sooty as well. She is just stunning!

JB
May. 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
I just looked at the early foal pictures and would NEVER have guessed she'd end up this dark.

She may be one who gets really dark and caramel-y during the Summer, and very pale in the Winter.

Donella
May. 28, 2008, 04:41 PM
what a gorgeous color!

Daydream Believer
May. 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
She is breathtaking! Congrats on a lovely filly. Her color is such a wonderful bonus!

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 04:54 PM
I just looked at the early foal pictures and would NEVER have guessed she'd end up this dark.

She may be one who gets really dark and caramel-y during the Summer, and very pale in the Winter.

Believe me..I could not believe my eyes all spring as she kept sheding out darker and darker..her legs are the deepest color b/w a milk choc and a dark choc color!!!! I was very shocked at her dark color!!! :eek: Her full sister is a much lighter palomino color...so I was not expecting her to be so dark.

Here are a few photos of her as foal for those who did not visit the link.
Cassie's Gold Locket at 3 weeks old.

moonriverfarm
May. 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
WOW. How adorable!

okggo
May. 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
I know NOTHING about the ins and outs of shades, but it looks like a liver chestnut dilute. Is it possible the mare passed on what ever the heck modifies chestnut to liver and you ended up with a really dark liver palomino? Duh?

Regardless, WOW!!!

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
Erin Peterson, yes yummy descripes her color for sure! :)

Donella, I thought so too!!! :yes:

Daydream Believer, Thank you so much!!! :)

moonriverfarm, Thank you!!! :)

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
I know NOTHING about the ins and outs of shades, but it looks like a liver chestnut dilute. Is it possible the mare passed on what ever the heck modifies chestnut to liver and you ended up with a really dark liver palomino? Duh?

Regardless, WOW!!!

No chestnut here...daddy is Zilly, so has to have a creme gene in the mix. ;)

She looks like choc palomino to me or the sooty palomino as they call it.

Thank you!!!! :D

SilverBalls
May. 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
Wow... I need sunglasses.... she's stunning! :D

spacely
May. 28, 2008, 05:10 PM
Gorgeous color!

okggo
May. 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
I wasnt' suggesting chestnut, but a liver palomino. Perhaps that is what you are calling chocolate?

A pally is a chestnut with a creme gene, she reminds me of a liver chestnut with a creme gene. Maybe I am making up my own terms here, lol

Anyway...really REALLY neat regardless!

trakmom
May. 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
Who would have ever thought that little dancing palamino with all the white would turn into that stunning color. Congrats on owning such a beauty!

RiddleMeThis
May. 28, 2008, 05:29 PM
Yep okggo liver palomino is chocolate palomino.

elmerandharriet
May. 28, 2008, 05:36 PM
my friend has a horse this color and over the years he has started turning gray

Ambrey
May. 28, 2008, 05:37 PM
Um. Wow!

Seriously!

If the parentage didn't preclude it I'd think she was silver dapple.

Many of the horses they call chocolate palomino are actually silver dapple, but clearly she is not :)

JB
May. 28, 2008, 05:39 PM
There are some who think that liver is a sooty form of "regular" chestnut, so indeed that is a possibility.

I looked at some of her other foals, and Lord Buckingham appears to be sooty as well.

spacely

There is no chance of gray here. Sire is a cremello & dam is a chestnunt. You have to have a gray parent in order for the offspring to be gray.

JB

It's not uncommon for the gray factor to darken a horse before they go lighter, especially when it comes to palominos and chestnuts. However, gray is not an option here :)

sspeight
May. 28, 2008, 05:40 PM
Boy is she beautiful Bridget!! :-D Erin's right...she is mighty yummy! I was drooling over her as a baby and she has only gotten prettier! And she's for sale...too bad I don't have the money or I'd scoop her up real quick!

Nootka
May. 28, 2008, 06:01 PM
Another vote that:

Wow she is a very very yummy color:yes:

ETA: Is she wet in the photos?

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nope she is not wet!! She would have looked black if I took photos of her wet..she did get a bath, but we waited until she was dried off. I should have taken some of her wet..she was so black looking.

Thanks everyone for all the lovely comments!!! I just love her color and it is my first one like this in all my years of breeding palominos.

Lord Buckingham is a buckskin not a palomino but is a sooty buckskin.

pintopiaffe
May. 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
Something is terribly wrong with her. Really, you'll be embarassed if people see her on your farm. I'll take her off your hands...

;)

EqTrainer
May. 28, 2008, 08:52 PM
Wow. What a stunning filly.

I think someone was trying to describe a silver dilution maybe? Is that what it is called?

foxhavenfarm
May. 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
OOOOOH Bridget, I want!!!:D

TKR
May. 28, 2008, 09:56 PM
That is a stunning youngster - congratulations! I would guess you will repeat that breeding? I'm sure where ever she goes, she will get alot of attention!
PennyG

Dazednconfused
May. 28, 2008, 10:11 PM

I think someone was trying to describe a silver dilution maybe? Is that what it is called?

I don't think so - silver doesn't affect chestnut (which means it couldn't affect cream + chestnut either). :)

Blonde Filly
May. 28, 2008, 10:12 PM
That is a stunning youngster - congratulations! I would guess you will repeat that breeding? I'm sure where ever she goes, she will get alot of attention!
PennyG

Yup :yes:, I did..it will be a third one in a row...due in Jan 2009.

JB
May. 28, 2008, 10:15 PM

I think someone was trying to explain what a "chocolate palomino" is often used to incorrectly describe a Silver Dapple. A black horse with a Silver gene will look darkly dappled with a lighter mane and tail. Think Rocky Mountain Horse, if you've seen those. A bay with a Silver gene will look kindasortabaybutsomethingiswrong in color - "bay" body, but legs looking too light to be black, and mane and tail often having silver/gray overtones to it.

YankeeLawyer
May. 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
She is really cool! Gorgeous color!

EqTrainer
May. 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think someone was trying to explain what a "chocolate palomino" is often used to incorrectly describe a Silver Dapple. A black horse with a Silver gene will look darkly dappled with a lighter mane and tail. Think Rocky Mountain Horse, if you've seen those. A bay with a Silver gene will look kindasortabaybutsomethingiswrong in color - "bay" body, but legs looking too light to be black, and mane and tail often having silver/gray overtones to it.

That makes sense. I had a SWB who appeared to be a liver chestnut - but he was really a bay w/a silver gene. He was stunning, too!

RiddleMeThis
May. 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
SWB as in Swedish Warmblood? Do you have pictures? Bloodlines?

Ambrey
May. 28, 2008, 11:49 PM

Yep. If I saw her and didn't know her breeding, I would think she was silver dapple, which is black with the silver gene. But obviously she is palomino with some unknown modifier that makes her extra yummy gorgeous :)

amdfarm
May. 29, 2008, 03:15 AM
Yep. If I saw her and didn't know her breeding, I would think she was silver dapple, which is black with the silver gene. But obviously she is palomino with some unknown modifier that makes her extra yummy gorgeous :)

That was my thoughts, too. And never would have guessed w/ her color as a foal... wow. Nice surprise.

She has that extra chocolatey goodness. :)

Very pretty filly, Bridget.

belambi
May. 29, 2008, 06:16 AM
stunning..may be some dun factor possibility?..

JB
May. 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
That makes sense. I had a SWB who appeared to be a liver chestnut - but he was really a bay w/a silver gene. He was stunning, too!
Oh I wanna see pics of this guy too! :) Was he perhaps a wild bay instead?

stunning..may be some dun factor possibility?..
Nope, no dun here :)

Blonde Filly
May. 29, 2008, 10:26 AM
I wondered about the silver part in there mane..it areas silvery in color, but probably the black colored hair mixed in with the white..but very much looks like she has silver in her mane.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments on Lacy!!! :D

Not only is she a nice package, but the color just is a super special bonus on this filly!!! I still can't get over the color change from foal to now.

JB do you think she will keep this color as she gets older? Most palominos I've had get darker and darker in the coat until about 6 to 8 years of age. I hope she stays this rich color...I LOVE it!!!! :yes:

sporthorsefilly
May. 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
She is fantastic! Now I know just where she would look breathtaking...in my front pasture!

EqTrainer
May. 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
[quote=JB;3248019]Oh I wanna see pics of this guy too! :) Was he perhaps a wild bay instead?

I will have to dig around, that was years ago and he was a sale horse.

He was a TB/SWBx. No recollection of exactly what, I want to say one of the LA horses?

When you first looked at him, you thought liver chestnut. But then you noticed that he had black points on his legs, very low, that were diluted with silver hairs .. and his mane/tail were about half/half w/silver hairs. The whole effect was that he was washed over w/a silvery cast.

GoshenNY
May. 29, 2008, 11:52 AM
She is a wowser!!

I looked at your website very nice, love the flowers, my addictions are ponies and daylilies,,,,,I have two cremello welsh mares.

Regards,
Jeanne

JB
May. 29, 2008, 01:23 PM
JB do you think she will keep this color as she gets older? Most palominos I've had get darker and darker in the coat until about 6 to 8 years of age. I hope she stays this rich color...I LOVE it!!!! :yes:
Hard to say, but I will bet that her point stay darker. I do have a strong feeling though that her Summer coat will be quite dark, and her Winter coat quite light.

I will have to dig around, that was years ago and he was a sale horse.

He was a TB/SWBx. No recollection of exactly what, I want to say one of the LA horses?

When you first looked at him, you thought liver chestnut. But then you noticed that he had black points on his legs, very low, that were diluted with silver hairs .. and his mane/tail were about half/half w/silver hairs. The whole effect was that he was washed over w/a silvery cast.

The low black points are indicative of Wild Bay. He may have been both. Here's a Rocky Mountain Horse who is Silver Bay
http://www.equinecolor.com/photos/silverbay3.jpg

A miniature Silver Bay
http://www.equinecolor.com/photos/silverbay2.jpg

EqTrainer
May. 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
I can't see the pics :(

Blonde Filly
May. 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
I can't either..hopefully she will see this and fix the links.

JB
May. 29, 2008, 02:08 PM
really? I click on them and they come up fine :(

See if the link to the whole page works
http://www.equinecolor.com/silver.html

EqTrainer
May. 29, 2008, 02:51 PM
I can see the page.. he was the same color as the QH, but without the high black.

kellyb
May. 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
oh my goodness. I don't know what you formally call it but she is STUNNING!

JB
May. 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
I can see the page.. he was the same color as the QH, but without the high black.

Sounds like a Wild Silver Bay :D

gabz
May. 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm having the same trouble with a rescue I have that is EXACTLY the color of the foal... He has dapples across his back so I was leaning toward the "silver dapple" color.
I've called him sooty or smutty palomino ... but having been around "pure" QH palominos, there's a difference in his pally color.

My guy is 9 years old. He was more washed out palomino last fall and he darker shade has slowly crept up his back. I don't know if it's because he's getting good food now, or if it's the sun and being outside 24/7 or what.

Because he needed a name (we were calling him "little man") ...my friend and daughter helped me... Amber Bock - like the beer. Because he's dark on the bottom and he lightens up near the top!! Creamy/white mane and tail - although the tail does have some silver in it... hmmm...

If you've ever seen a true roan horse... with white hairs mixed in with dark, that's what this is like. The base seems to be the palomino, with grey skin, and the darker hair is between a sable brown and a mousey brown (grayish brown)- almost a grulla brown color. And my guy has 3 white pasterns/ socks - but very little white on his face.

Not for sure what breed he could be... he is gaited, so he could be some kind of mountain horse or TWH mixed. He's 14.2/14.3 gorgeous head.

But... as I said he's 9 (according to Equine Dentist) and he had less "smutty" last fall (I got him in early December) and more this spring with more dapples appearing. He's getting shiny with good food too.: )

Blonde Filly
May. 29, 2008, 04:35 PM
oh my goodness. I don't know what you formally call it but she is STUNNING!

Thank you!!!! :D

Silver Sport Horses
May. 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
She is stunning!!! Can she come live in my silver dilute barn? :) My stud and her could be friends when she is older.

She looks like a chocolate palomino or sooty palomino to me.

Here's is a silver site with a lot more of photos. www.SilverEquine.com
My stud had 7 silver foals this year. You can see them at www.MeadowViewFarm.com If you want to compare the color differences.

Silver generally have dark roots to their manes and tails. Also the body and leg color aren't really silver as the name suggests. It's just black that is diluted looking more brown in color.

Congratulations again!

RiddleMeThis
May. 29, 2008, 06:52 PM
Do you remember his name? Registered name or show name or barn? All three maybe? Maybe someone put him on allbreed at some point down the line.

hunter-jumper-rider
May. 29, 2008, 10:07 PM
OMG she is TDF gorgeous!!!!!!!! There is a draft horse that is in one of the pastures at my barn that is this EXACT color. He is super pale in the winter and now he is almost a dark chocolately black with a super white mane/tail and a dappled back.

*sigh* I want to buy her.......just what I need....ANOTHER baby :lol:

Blonde Filly
May. 29, 2008, 10:32 PM
OMG she is TDF gorgeous!!!!!!!! There is a draft horse that is in one of the pastures at my barn that is this EXACT color. He is super pale in the winter and now he is almost a dark chocolately black with a super white mane/tail and a dappled back.

*sigh* I want to buy her.......just what I need....ANOTHER baby :lol:

We all need ANOTHER one..it is an addiction!!! :lol:

RiddleMeThis
May. 30, 2008, 12:19 AM
EqT quick question....did the mane and tail look kind of like this?
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/images/horsecolor/oddities/donatello_17yotb1.jpg

~Freedom~
May. 30, 2008, 12:40 AM
I love brownies with creme on top. LOL

Interesting question now. If you wanted to reproduce that color ( assuming you will breed her down the road) just what color stallion would you breed her to to have a possibility of retaining that spectacular color.

RiddleMeThis
May. 30, 2008, 01:20 AM

Interesting question now. If you wanted to reproduce that color ( assuming you will breed her down the road) just what color stallion would you breed her to to have a possibility of retaining that spectacular color.Crapshot. It is only a 50/50 shot for a pally no matter if you breed to a chestnut or cremello or pally. And noone knows what causes sooty so its realy just luck.

JB
May. 30, 2008, 08:29 AM

Interesting question now. If you wanted to reproduce that color ( assuming you will breed her down the road) just what color stallion would you breed her to to have a possibility of retaining that spectacular color.

Well, you guarantee a palomino by breeding a chestnut to a cremello, as was the case here. Beyond that, the actual shade is a crapshoot. You likely have a better chance if the chestnut is liver, but still no guarantee at all.

Blonde Filly
May. 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
It really is a crap shoot, her full sister is a completely different color of palomino..she is a much lighter gold color and the full sibbling in 2009 could be completely different from the other two. In all my years a breeding palomino TBs this is my first this dark in color..so seems it is more rare than the lighter ones..why?.. not sure on that either?

Yankeelawyer, thank you for the love PM about Lacy!!!

summerhorse
May. 30, 2008, 04:01 PM
Wow, she's gorgeous. Yup, sooty palominos, I love them!

Iheartappy's
May. 30, 2008, 10:13 PM
I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALY WANT HER, she is stunning, whoa....wow, I'll let you know when I regain conciuosness, her beauty was so blinding : P

Blonde Filly
May. 30, 2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, she's gorgeous. Yup, sooty palominos, I love them!

Thank you summerhorse...I love the color whether it is sooty or choc palomino!!! :)

Blonde Filly
May. 30, 2008, 10:27 PM
I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALY WANT HER, she is stunning, whoa....wow, I'll let you know when I regain conciuosness, her beauty was so blinding : P

Thank-you!!! :D

in_the_zone
May. 30, 2008, 11:16 PM
Nice filly!

Thanks for all the color links. We have a 17h+ horse who we think is a gi-normous QH. At first sight he looks like a palomino but has black hairs in his mane and sparse black hairs on his legs. I'm pretty sure he's what these sites call Silver Buckskin. Cool!

RheinlandPfalzSaar
May. 31, 2008, 12:37 AM
Put me on the list for REALLLY NEEDING her! She is unbelievably gorgeous! Congratulations on another beautiful baby!

p.s. Could you please put a bow around this filly and Lord Buckingham & send them up to me in NOVA? Pretty please!!!

RiddleMeThis
May. 31, 2008, 12:55 AM
Nice filly!

Thanks for all the color links. We have a 17h+ horse who we think is a gi-normous QH. At first sight he looks like a palomino but has black hairs in his mane and sparse black hairs on his legs. I'm pretty sure he's what these sites call Silver Buckskin. Cool!
Probably just sooty as well, just on a smaller scale.

Ambrey
May. 31, 2008, 04:41 AM
Probably just sooty as well, just on a smaller scale.

I believe there is at least one QH stallion with the silver gene, but it's pretty danged rare in the QH world!

RiddleMeThis
May. 31, 2008, 05:05 AM
I believe there is at least one QH stallion with the silver gene, but it's pretty danged rare in the QH world!
Yep it is. The one I know of is Champs Guthrie http://www.meadowviewfarm.com/CG.htm

goeslikestink
May. 31, 2008, 06:36 AM
when we got honey when she was 2 she was that same colour a rich palomino
as she got older she went lighter like a grey does, she was like walnut
had huge dapples to her becuase of her colouring the dapples were clear and well seen and then she had little dabs of dark and like spots in those dapples,
as she got light you still see the dapple via the highlighted spots or marks in time she went pure gold and then stayed pure gold
sometimes she looked pure rich deep chesnut as if liver or not they are classed as chestnut
she was that dark i have a piccy of her at six with my uncle stan i treasure
that pic as it the only one with him in it when they got her and its the only pic i have thats shows up her rich dark colour as i brought her of them as a 6yr old later than when the pic was taken,,

her son on the other hand was more cream in winter and fawn looking in summer

i have had a few palominos, my last was lady louise big mare she was 17hh and pure pally with striking blaze 4 white stockings she agian was cream

before her was misty-- a mid gold colour pally very plain looking no white markings

Ladybug Hill
May. 31, 2008, 07:09 AM
And not all palominos get lighter in winter. My Gold Apollo mare gets darker.

Lovely foal!!!!

12hooves
May. 31, 2008, 07:55 AM
I would bet there's a silver dapple gene in there. I have a Chocolate Rocky Mtn. horse and his dam was Chestnut. Even though it doesn't affect the chestnut color, they can be a carrier. I say she's Chocolate. My guy is dark in the winter/spring (if you can call it winter down here) and gets lighter with dapples late summer. Of course I could be totally wrong.:)

RiddleMeThis
May. 31, 2008, 08:14 AM
No silver in TBs, so nope no silver in the OP horse.

Blonde Filly
May. 31, 2008, 10:57 AM
Put me on the list for REALLLY NEEDING her! She is unbelievably gorgeous! Congratulations on another beautiful baby!

p.s. Could you please put a bow around this filly and Lord Buckingham & send them up to me in NOVA? Pretty please!!!

Sure thing!!! Going out to do it right now!!! :D Hey you should come visit the farm we are in NOVA too!!! Purcellville just outside of Leesburg. Where are you located?

Riddle me this is correct, I don't think a silver dapple is in the TB breed, but not 100% sure on this.

Cartier
May. 31, 2008, 11:03 AM
the color is striking... very pretty :)

12hooves
May. 31, 2008, 06:50 PM
No silver in TBs, so nope no silver in the OP horse.

http://www.equinecolor.com/cream.html OK, then "Sooty" it is!:D

RheinlandPfalzSaar
May. 31, 2008, 09:06 PM
Sure thing!!! Going out to do it right now!!! :D Hey you should come visit the farm we are in NOVA too!!! Purcellville just outside of Leesburg. Where are you located?
I am in Middleburg, I didn't know you were that close! Are you taking anyone to Upperville? My filly and I will be there.

BTW, I am looking outside and I don't see anyone coming up the drive yet.... yoo hoo baby horses I have carrots... come here....

starlight
Jun. 1, 2008, 09:03 AM

Ditto what she said! I had to immediately call my mother up, who also has a special spot for Palominos, and get her on board with the drooling party. Wow, I love her!!!!! Maybe I need a young horse for myself? I always wanted to name one "Chocolate Cowgirl" and she is it! (I know...silly name.)

Anyway, lovely filly? Will you bring her to Upperville, please!!!???
E

RheinlandPfalzSaar
Jun. 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
Ditto what she said! I had to immediately call my mother up, who also has a special spot for Palominos, and get her on board with the drooling party. Wow, I love her!!!!! Maybe I need a young horse for myself? I always wanted to name one "Chocolate Cowgirl" and she is it! (I know...silly name.)

Anyway, lovely filly? Will you bring her to Upperville, please!!!???
E

Erica you NEED her! I think Chocolate Cowgirl is a cute name!

Blonde Filly
Jun. 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
Yes will be at Upperville with a suckling and mare. It will not be Lacy though. I sold a filly to a client and they wanted to take her, so I just can't juggle two mares and foals with inexperinced owners when it comes to babies and mares...would be just to much. It will be a huge chestnut mare and a chestnut foal...my secret weapon..they won't know it is me since it will be a chestnut foal.

Yes Middleburg is only about 30 mintues..come visit the farm..we'd love to have you... lots of cuties here to look at and visit with!!! :D

SilverBalls
Jun. 4, 2008, 08:38 AM
Good Luck at Upperville! :)

Blonde Filly
Jun. 4, 2008, 11:28 PM
Good Luck at Upperville! :)
Thanks, but I won't be taking the chocolate palomino girl!!! We are taking the sold filly...
Are you taking your blonde child???

gubbyz
Jun. 5, 2008, 01:43 AM
:eek: Thats all I can say. :yes:

clearound
Jun. 5, 2008, 06:42 PM
Bridgett - Wow, that's an awesome color (whatever it is). Good luck at Upperville.

Blacktree
Jun. 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
GORGEOUS filly!!
What a rich color and w/ those socks, too - she's really got it all!!!!

Congrats - she is lovely, thanks for sharing. :)

Blonde Filly
Jun. 6, 2008, 05:36 PM
clearround and wbcolor thank you so much!!!

Clearound are you taking Duke to Upperville? I know Bill just called and told me he is now NOT coming..the bum!!! Good luck with Duke if you take him!!! If he is there I'd love to come meet him in person..very cute boy!!! :yes:

keepthepeace420
Feb. 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
Wow! she's a stunning filly! what a change from the photos when she was just born. love her markings, and look at that extension! her trot is magnificent!

Doctracy
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:07 AM
Could she be a black silver or whatever that other dilute gene is thet dilutes blacks to dappled livers with white manes and tails? Darn it, I just read an article in the paint horse journa archives on that dilution factor, I think it's the silver gene. I knew one years ago, she was so stunning, looks just like your filly.

Doctracy
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:17 AM
Yep it is. The one I know of is Champs Guthrie http://www.meadowviewfarm.com/CG.htm

I used to know a mare sired by Cheshire Skip, back in the mid-80s that was a silver dapple but I don't know her her dam was, other than it was another Skip horse.

12hooves
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
I don't think so - silver doesn't affect chestnut (which means it couldn't affect cream + chestnut either). :)
This thread is two years old but since someone brought it up again.....I used to own a Rocky Mountain horse that was Chocolate, and his dam was a Chestnut.

JB
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
This thread is two years old but since someone brought it up again.....I used to own a Rocky Mountain horse that was Chocolate, and his dam was a Chestnut.
The dam could have been carrying Silver and gave it to him, or his sire was a carrier (or had it expressed) :)

12hooves
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
The dam could have been carrying Silver and gave it to him, or his sire was a carrier (or had it expressed) :)

Yes of course, I was just trying to show that a chestnut can produce a chocolate. They were both carriers.

darkmoonlady
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
The filly in the OP is a thoroughbred and so doesn't carry silver.

Ibex
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
I think maybe we need updated photos?? :winkgrin:

RiddleMeThis
Feb. 28, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yes of course, I was just trying to show that a chestnut can produce a chocolate. They were both carriers.

Dazednconfused wasn't saying a chestnut couldn't produce a silver, just that a chestnut can't SHOW silver. And they cannot.

jetsmom
Feb. 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
WOW!!! My new favorite horse!!!! She's absolutely gorgeous!!!

12hooves
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
The filly in the OP is a thoroughbred and so doesn't carry silver.

But it's not full Thoroughbred. Is it? I don't know if that makes a difference.

JB
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
I gotcha, sorry :)

Kinsella
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
It is a full TB. I don't know anything about the silver gene, but I'd say it's a safe bet this filly doesn't have it. Much more likely is that it's creme on liver. But whatever it is, she is certainly a beautiful color!

JB
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
But it's not full Thoroughbred. Is it? I don't know if that makes a difference.
It does make a difference, depending on what the non-TB part was :)

But given it's a full TB, then Silver isn't an option :)