PDA

View Full Version : I've decided this mare is my new 50+ horse...

Jess!
May. 12, 2008, 09:27 PM
http://a761.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_3ac0469daf6c5833240478bec04fd490.jpg

Look at that trot! Man this mare can BOOK IT. She isn't a fan of cantering, she'd rather trot. Let her trot all day and she's happy as a clam! Ask her to canter more than she likes, and she starts throwing an attitude. She will canter for me if I press it, but if I let her choose she'll just move along.

http://a369.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_85b63807d9c3b16c5eb0c748a1ec7ba8.jpg

Yes, I know...I'm looking down. Bad habit! :lol:

Anyways, this is the mare I bought for $175 in Feb!! The one that was really skinny, wormy, and hadn't had any training whatsoever. [Oh, and the one that is still terrified of whips]

Just thought I'd share, I'm so excited about this mare!

http://a351.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/35/l_03cb27809c349df9c925bbb4389b63c6.jpg

Jess!
May. 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
She's stunning! And what a trot!! Best of luck with her -- she looks like a contender. :)

Thank you! I hope to do the Tevis on her eventually, but she does have a perm. lump on her knee that doesn't seem to bother her, but we'll see once we start doing rides. :D

questisthebest
May. 13, 2008, 01:33 AM
She IS beautiful! $175? Looks like a diamond in the rough;) good luck with her!

ChocoMare
May. 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
Wow! She looks great!!!! You certainly got the Bargain O'The Year! :D

Auventera Two
May. 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
I can't see the pics because they're blocked for me, but just wanted to say I wish you the best of luck! How exciting to be working with a new prospect, hu? And for 175 bucks?!?! :eek: You can't beat that with a stick! I hope she turns out to be everything you want her to be!!

Shadow14
May. 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
She sure can trot. HOw heavy would she go?? 800 pounds or less?
Weight doesn't seem to bother too much a 50 miles horse but at 100 it becomes more critical.

Jess!
May. 13, 2008, 01:12 PM
I can't see the pics because they're blocked for me, but just wanted to say I wish you the best of luck! How exciting to be working with a new prospect, hu? And for 175 bucks?!?! :eek: You can't beat that with a stick! I hope she turns out to be everything you want her to be!!

Can you see these?

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/0/1/2/6/trottinggood.jpg

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/0/1/2/6/trotting2.jpg

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/0/1/2/6/dropdeadgorgeous.jpg

And thanks! She really turned out to be an awesome awesome horse, compared to what she was when I got her - she was afraid of people and would try kicking your head off.

Jess!
May. 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
Weight doesn't seem to bother too much a 50 miles horse but at 100 it becomes more critical.

She's about 840 right now, up from 720 from when I first got her. I don't think she'll gain much more, she's pretty much all filled out now.

Auventera Two
May. 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
Aww, yes! I can see those. :eek: Wow, what a girl! That's a huge trot and gallop. Beautiful! My goodness, you bought her at an auction and started her yourself. You've done a great job with her. I'm convinced that the best horses aren't always the ones from fancy breeders with fancy pedigrees and price tags. In this sport the trail picks the best horses. It sure looks like you have a great one! :) She is small but you're tiny too so it's perfect!

Jess!
May. 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
Aww, yes! I can see those. :eek: Wow, what a girl! That's a huge trot and gallop. Beautiful! My goodness, you bought her at an auction and started her yourself. You've done a great job with her. I'm convinced that the best horses aren't always the ones from fancy breeders with fancy pedigrees and price tags. In this sport the trail picks the best horses. It sure looks like you have a great one! :) She is small but you're tiny too so it's perfect!

LOL She is pushing 15hh, but I'm 6'. If I stuck my friend on her, she'd actually LOOK her size. :D

She has really nice bloodlines, but I cannot get her papers unless I give her breeder $2500. :( She was never paid for, and then she just ended up switching hands without the breeder getting money. He doesn't want her back [she does have scars] but he does want money. *sigh* I know you don't ride papers, but I'd love to breed her later on if she does well in the rides.

Shadow14
May. 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
She's about 840 right now, up from 720 from when I first got her. I don't think she'll gain much more, she's pretty much all filled out now.

I fully loaded went 220 and Strider was 870 and he never had a problem with the 50's but I refused to subject him to 100's at that weight ratio.
She is pretty.

Jess!
May. 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
I fully loaded went 220 and Strider was 870 and he never had a problem with the 50's but I refused to subject him to 100's at that weight ratio.
She is pretty.

I'm 185 with all my gear, once I get down to 140lbs weight for me, I'll be less. I'll weigh her again tonight and see where she is at exactly.

Thank you:)

Auventera Two
May. 13, 2008, 03:13 PM
Gosh woman you look tiny to me! :D Skinny skinny. :lol:

goeslikestink
May. 13, 2008, 07:20 PM
well shes worth every single penny shes nice little thing

MassageLady
May. 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, what a deal for you!
did you know that Heather Reynolds horse (I believe his name is 'Red')was also a rescue, and she only paid $400 for him! I believe they were the national champs.

pandorasboxx
May. 15, 2008, 07:08 AM
Your mare is very nice. Love that trot!

What are her bloodlines btw? If you have her registered name, it would be interesting to look her up on datasource.

Jess!
May. 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
Your mare is very nice. Love that trot!

What are her bloodlines btw? If you have her registered name, it would be interesting to look her up on datasource.

Here is her pedigree, she is NOT registered. The breeder has all the papers needed [stallion reports, etc] and but refuses to send them in unless I pay $2500 for them.

So, I just gave her a name since I knew who her mom and dad are:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/electrikk+sinnsation

pandorasboxx
May. 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
Nice bloodlines.

I understand the breeders point. I suppose if you wanted to breed her or participate in breed events it might make sense to pay the unpaid breeding fee otherwise just enjoy her! She certainly looks lovely and athletic. Kudos for a great buy!

karenstandefer
May. 18, 2008, 09:39 PM

This claim isn't born out if you look at the Tevis historical data. For instance, in 2007, every horse entered that was 800 pounds or less successfully completed. Since it's the toughest 100 mile in the US and has the biggest failure rate of any non-FEI 100 miler, I'd say that's fairly dependable data.

Karen