PDA

View Full Version : saddles!!!

wtchy1
May. 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to what a reasonable price is for a used in good condition saddle is.... I have looked and tried about a million saddles!!!!!!!:eek: (ok so maybe not a million but more than 12:winkgrin:)

Anyhow I am now trying a few saddles that fit me and my horse but of course they aren't cheap!! One is a Schleese, the others are a County, a Hennig and a Otto Schumacher. I'm not sure of the models but they are not new (probably at least 8 years old or older) and they are in good condition but have some stains on the leather, very mild can maybe be cleaned up.

THanks!!!!

Ambrey
May. 8, 2008, 10:15 AM
It totally depends on the saddle! Schleese and Hennig sell for $4,000+ new, while Schumacher are closer to $3,000, so their used prices are different too.

You can check sold items on e-bay to see what certain saddles are generally going for.

wtchy1
May. 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have seen a few schumachers on ebay and at pelham for well under 2,000.00 and the one I tried is going for around 2,000.00 and I was just wondering if I'm being taken or that's a decent price. Frankly at this point I'm thinking that even if I pay too much it's worth not having to try any more saddles!!!!:mad: I have seriously had enough!!!!

Ambrey
May. 8, 2008, 10:33 AM
I have seen a few schumachers on ebay and at pelham for well under 2,000.00 and the one I tried is going for around 2,000.00 and I was just wondering if I'm being taken or that's a decent price. Frankly at this point I'm thinking that even if I pay too much it's worth not having to try any more saddles!!!!:mad: I have seriously had enough!!!!

You'll have to compare the condition and the model, of course. An almost new saddle is going to go for more than a well-used one.

I agree, trying saddles sucks!

3s
May. 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
The good thing about Schleeses and Hennigs and Passiers is that they can be adjusted to fit your horse! So these are probably a better investment in the long run. Schleese even offers a warranty transfer if you're buying from somewhere else! I got that on my saddle - it was $250 after one of their reps certified it as being okay and now if anything happens to the tree, I'm covered!

Truthiness
May. 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hennigs will retain their high price on the secondary market, as will Schleese Waves. Other Schleese models are cheap around my parts---there seems to be glut of them, frankly. County Connections still command high prices but the Competitors are dramatically less, depending on their condition and age. You can buy a new Schumacher Profi at Charotte's Saddlery for less than 1700 so, if that's your model of interest, check their site.

Ambrey
May. 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hennigs will retain their high price on the secondary market, as will Schleese Waves. Other Schleese models are cheap around my parts---there seems to be glut of them, frankly.

Schleese changed their trees and models a few years ago, and a lot of Schleese owners got new saddles. I think what you're seeing is a glut of ~5-6 year old Schleese saddles on the old Hennig trees. The newer models, the Wave, Infinity, and some others with names I don't remember are not so common on the market still, and these use the AdapTree.

Truthiness
May. 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
Schleese patented the AdapTree in 1996.

Ambrey
May. 12, 2008, 02:30 PM
Schleese patented the AdapTree in 1996.

They were still making saddles with the Hennig tree into the early 2000s, though. It's easy to tell what year a saddle was made and what tree it has by the serial number.

eta: For example, this one has the H for hennig tree, and was made in 01

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schleese-Ostergaard-Dressage-Saddle_W0QQitemZ320250065029QQihZ011QQcategoryZ472 82QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Truthiness
May. 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
I see. I recently survived a Schleese saddle fitting where I rode in at least six AdapTree saddles, including a '99 and an '01 with the technology. Of the 11 saddles in my tackroom, two are Schleese and have both been for sale for at least a year because of fit issues.

Ambrey
May. 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
I see. I recently survived a Schleese saddle fitting where I rode in at least six AdapTree saddles, including a '99 and an '01 with the technology. Of the 11 saddles in my tackroom, two are Schleese and have both been for sale for at least a year because of fit issues.

Remember that the Hennig tree is still fully adjustable, so unless she told you that the saddles had the Adaptree, they might not have.

This one was made in 02 and has the hennig tree, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schleese-Ostergaard-18-inch-dressage-saddle_W0QQitemZ380026736588QQihZ025QQcategoryZ472 82QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, I'm also not saying that the adaptree is "all that," just that a lot of people were convinced to go buy new saddles when it came out or are replacing their older Schleese saddles rather than having them adjusted. It is harder to find the adaptree saddles used. When they come out with the AdapTree 2, you'll see all of these saddles on the market ;)

Sorry your Schleeses don't work well :( It definitely seems that you either love or hate them. I got extremely lucky with mine- for a cheap impulse e-bay buy, it has turned out pretty good. Well, so far that is- we'll see how it is when my horse finally loses that 200 lbs he needs to lose :(

3s
May. 12, 2008, 03:47 PM

Sounds like you were lucky to have the opportunity to spend that much time with a Schleese saddlefitter - ime they have knowledge second to none! Sorry for you things didn't work out, obviously...saddlefitting can be hell!