PDA

View Full Version : Is this an inappropriate thing to ask?

Auventera Two
Apr. 23, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm posting this here because it's something I will potentially have to ask every ride manager about from here on out. I'd like to get opinions before I make a fool of myself.

My dad would like to go with me to rides to be my crew. Problem is, he has severe apnea and sleeps with a CPAP. His portable machine plugs in. There "are" battery versions available but the batteries are extremely big and heavy, and there are other concerns with battery power, given how severe his apnea is.

Anyway, we don't have a generator and I really didn't want to buy one. I'm not crazy about the idea of the noise for us, and the other campers. So the other option is to camp next to the pavilion where he can run an extention cord to the trailer.

So, would it be totally inappropriate to ask for this special consideration at every ride I attend? :( I don't want to tick off other riders either. Or should I just buy a generator? Or tell dad he can't crew? He really wants to go to all my rides but he cannot sleep without that machine. So we just have to figure out a way to make it work.

I really appreciate your input. :)

Edited to add: I guess some rides don't even have a pavilion or other power source?? I haven't experienced that yet. So maybe it "is" better to just buy a generator to be safe??

ChocoMare
Apr. 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'd go buy the smallest generator needed to get the job done. Besides, I'm sure you'll find other uses for it when not attached to dad! ;)

Just Wondering
Apr. 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
dited to add: I guess some rides don't even have a pavilion or other power source?? I haven't experienced that yet. So maybe it "is" better to just buy a generator to be safe??

You are correct! Some camps are fairly primitive!

Shadowsrider
Apr. 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Our therapuetic riding program's spring benefit ride has a mountainous 20 mile ride and therefore we have many endurance riders attend this ride in order to use that trail for training due to the ride's timing the the nature of the trail. Our camp is quite primitive, no electricity. However, there are people that bring generators each time, and I'm sure that not all these people have sleep apnea, so I imagine there are many things you would find it handy for. :D I think that most people rather expect that *someone* will have a generator at some point while camping.

I expect that if you go that route and make it a point to set up your camp at the outside edge of the area, you will not be ticking off anyone. Maybe also get there early and set your generator out for everyone to see. ;) That way if someone truly is bothered by it they can move further away from you.

marta
Apr. 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
planning to run that generator all night.

folks w/ sleeping quarters may not realize how loud that generator sounds in teh middle of the night, but i sleep in a tent and i think i'd loose my mind if i had to listen to a generator going all night.

it's very considerate of you to even think of others. rides that i've been to often require all generators off after certain hour. your idea w/ an extension cord to a pavilion sounds much better to me. i wouldn't care if you got the 'preferential' treatment;)

Prieta
Apr. 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
It might be cheaper to stay in a hotel for your father. It might not be worth the hassles of trying to find an outlet to plug in the machine to help your Dad sleep better. Also, it is not worth reminding everyone that your Dad should have equal access. It is far better mentally to stay in a hotel.

If I'm hearing, I'd be peeved at having to listen to every teeny tiny noises because then I'd not be able to sleep at all for I am a very light sleeper.

Shadow14
Apr. 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
I second the noise of a generator would drive other nuts.
How much power does he require. A converter??? It converts 12 volts to 110 volts. You can get any converter you want right up to running a toaster if you want and it isn't expensive.
You could carry a couple of extra charged batteries and hook the converter up to them and convert 12 Volts to 110 volts quietly and inexpensively.
You could also buy a small small generator, charge the batteries during the day or use the truck battery as well and turn the generator off at night.
Again what are the power requirements in amps???? or the wattage would work also.

Auventera Two
Apr. 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
GTD - I was only asking because I don't KNOW what the appropriate thing to do is. I'm not demanding that the entire ridecamp be inconvenienced by my crew. Sheesh. It was only a question to get ideas. :eek: I didn't even think of the hotel until someone mentioned it. That's a very good option and will probably be what we do. Dad and I also discussed the fact that if a good workable solution (for everybody) could not be reached, that he just wouldn't be able to do it, and that's fine. It's just something he would "like" to be able to do with me, if we can work out the details. If not - not the end of the world.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll suggest the hotel to him, as I think that is the only real solution unless someone can think of something else.

rmh
Apr. 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
There are very quiet generators. They are $$$ but you can hardly hear them untuil you walk up to the spot where it sits. Honda makes one and there is a
Chinese knockoff (imagine that lol). The Honda EU 1 or 2K watt is all you would need.

bip
Apr. 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
I sleep with a cpap machine, and I second the hotel idea. Your dad doesn't want to get the machine dirty anyway. After all, it pumps air straight into his head and the filter on the machines are a joke! He will be pulling horse hair and dirt out of it for weeks.

Plus, his sleeping position probably affects his apnea even with the mask (mine does), so better he be in a bed where he can sleep properly.

BEARCAT
Apr. 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
I would go ahead and ASK ride management about using an outlet if the option is available. Go buy a couple of 100 foot extension cords so you don't always have to have the primo spot next to the Pavillion (if there is such thing at the ride.)
If not, hotel it is - I, too would be fairly upset if someone had a generator running all night.... ;)

marta
Apr. 23, 2008, 03:54 PM
Doesn't surprise me -- people can get really touchy when noise disturbs their sleep.

i nearly killed a group of riders who were camping next to us and set up their corral so that the horses had access to the step up stock trailer all night. i swear all i heard all night was those horses stamping onto the trailer and off the trailer...grrr!

Auventera Two
Apr. 23, 2008, 04:04 PM
I only doze for about 15 minutes anyway so sleep is not an issue for me. :lol: I lay in my bed all night staring at the ceiling checking the clock every half hour.

So then I suppose I could sit up all night pumping air at dad with a bellows! :eek: :lol:

cordial
Apr. 23, 2008, 04:19 PM
I only doze for about 15 minutes anyway so sleep is not an issue for me. :lol: I lay in my bed all night staring at the ceiling checking the clock every half hour.

So then I suppose I could sit up all night pumping air at dad with a bellows! :eek: :lol:

You only sleep about 15 minutes a night????

Shadow14
Apr. 23, 2008, 05:18 PM
Vickey you didn't comment on my idea of a CONVERTER. Check it out. Any automotive supply house, parts stores sell them cheap enough. They just hook to the battery and change the voltage from 12 volts to 110 volts.
If the power draw is low enough a car battery or two might do the trick.
Quiet, cheap power?????
How about a 12 volt pump??? If you are thinking of a generator a 12 volt pump might be available and alot cheaper.

Mersy
Apr. 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think its great your dad wants to come on the rides with you.
But it sounds like it would be safer for him if he overnighted at a hotel.
I would check first and see if accomidations could be made at camp (available electricity) then use the hotel as the alternative.

I have been invovled with ride managements in the past and we always encouraged family participation. A handicap should not detour anyone unless it is a safety issue.

Auventera Two
Apr. 23, 2008, 10:11 PM
You only sleep about 15 minutes a night????

Well, no. I normally sleep from 7-9 hrs a night but on ride nights I'm too wound up to sleep. Camping in a strange place with the horses...that is stress! :lol:

chicamuxen1
Apr. 24, 2008, 07:00 AM
I sleep poorly all the time, at home, at rides. I'm a light sleeper with arthritis in my neck and back that tends to be worse when prone. I was just about ready to scream or cry last weekend at a ride. I was at a CTR and a woman parked next to me didn't have any kind of pen for her horse. First she had her horse tied to her trailer, where it couldn't see another horse, so it dug and dug. then, she loaded the horse in her trailer for the night and went and slept in someone elses trailer. That friggin animal pawed the trailer unitl about 4:00AM, about 20' from my head. I actually got up once and went to check the horse and that's when I realized the owner wasn't even there. I gave up and got up at 4:30, made coffee, then cocoa and breakfast, read for a couple of hours, etc. We didn't actually start our ride until 9:30.

The nice thing about having crew staying at a motel is being able to go to their room to have a nice hot shower! Unless you're at a ride really close to home, it's best to stay over the night after a ride and drive home the next day anyway.

Bonnie

rmh
Apr. 24, 2008, 08:16 AM
I had my Honda 3000 running back behgind my trailer and the camp host came by to say hello. That evening she had a party at her house. The temps were going to be in the low 30's that night. The camp has an unwritten rule that gens go off at 11 PM. I asked her what she thought about my gen. She asked what generator. The loundness depends on the load. If it is running a mocrowave or AC the noise is higher but if just lights or an electrical appliance it is much lower. However I understand about the noise. At many of the rides generator noise isn't addresse and people run these big industrial ones all night for a fridge or AC when it is fairly cool outside. I have seen some almost physical altercations over generators. A Honda 1000 will fit under your trailer and is very quiet. But a hotel room would be better more for a medical problem and comfort than anything else. Horses crying all night bothers me more than a lot of stuff. But that is part of camping with other people.

katarine
Apr. 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
If you're restless and anxious the night before a ride, by all means: set Dad up at the hotel ;) he'll need his sleep to be on his game. You'll have adrenaline, he'll need rest instead, LOL

Good of you to think of others re: generators. the really nice ones are super quiet and I can live with them, but the 'normal' ones are awful... there are some camping areas I never go to as it's VERY LOUD ALL NIGHT. ugh.