PDA

View Full Version : Trail Ride in Gettysburg....Guide?

KlawPaws
Apr. 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hello!

I am in the beginning stages of planning a one-day trip to Gettysburg, PA - with a friend - for an upcoming Sunday. I am starting to research websites and such for trail information but I am not coming up with anything 'substantial' from a planning perspective. Considering the drive there and back will be approximately 1.5 hours (or slightly more) each way...and with the price of gas - I want to make sure the trip is worthwhile. As a result I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone point me to a website that may be helpful on where to park the truck/trailer for the day?

2. How about a map of the Gettysburg area stipulating where you can go...and more importantly...where you cannot go?

3. Is there anyone who lives in the Gettysburg area - and knows the trails - that would be willing to make two new friends and serve as our guide for part of the day? We don't bite!

4. Is there anyone else on this forum who lives in the 'drivable' area that would like to join us for a morning/afternoon of trail-riding fun?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

KlawPaws

CoopsZippo
Apr. 22, 2008, 07:49 PM
I am a local....

There is parking for trailers over my the McMillian Woods Youth camp ground.

Here is a map of the park. Horse trails are green dotted lines.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=gett&parkname=Gettysburg%20National%20Military%20Park

Personally I would just make reservations at Artillery Ridge campground for the day.

http://www.artilleryridge.com/

They have easy access to the park.

GB Trail Rider
Apr. 22, 2008, 08:12 PM
I am a local....

There is parking for trailers over my the McMillian Woods Youth camp ground.

Here is a map of the park. Horse trails are green dotted lines.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=gett&parkname=Gettysburg%20National%20Military%20Park

Personally I would just make reservations at Artillery Ridge campground for the day.

http://www.artilleryridge.com/

They have easy access to the park.

The info Coops has given you is the best and really only way to go.

tabula rashah
Apr. 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hello!
4. Is there anyone else on this forum who lives in the 'drivable' area that would like to join us for a morning/afternoon of trail-riding fun?

Me!! When are you going? I'm fairly close and I use to live up there, but never got the chance to ride on the grounds. PM me if you like

CoopsZippo
Apr. 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
I would but I am trailerless...

KlawPaws
Apr. 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.....especially the map and the website link to Artillary Ridge. We just want to do something different and fun and thought a trip to Gettysburg would be something different for a change. We do not have any concrete plans yet but I don't want to procrastinate because then I will never do it.

CoopsZippo: Maybe when we come up...if someone has an extra spot on a trailer... we could arrange to pick you up if it is not to far. I know my trailer will be full :(

tabula rashah: I will let you know when we go. More the merrier in my book as long as everyone (people and horses) get along :) I am also going to send you a PM.

Thanks everyone!

KlawPaws

horcgal
Oct. 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
A friend and I are planning to go to Gettysburg. We have LQ trailer with generator. I looked at Artillery Ridge Campground, but that has stalls and all this other stuff. It does have a "day use" area, but we plan on staying overnight.

Is there any place that we can park the rig and picket the horses? or is artillery campground the only place for horse trailers/horses?

jazzrider
Oct. 4, 2008, 04:10 PM
My hubby and I might be willing to meet up with you guys, depending on the day. We keep saying we're going to ride Gettysburg this fall -- meeting a group might motivate us a bit more. Let us know what day you're thinking. If we all get there and find that our riding styles are different or the horses are conflicting -- we can always meet up afterwards for happy hour!

GB Trail Rider
Oct. 4, 2008, 04:56 PM
A friend and I are planning to go to Gettysburg. We have LQ trailer with generator. I looked at Artillery Ridge Campground, but that has stalls and all this other stuff. It does have a "day use" area, but we plan on staying overnight.

Is there any place that we can park the rig and picket the horses? or is artillery campground the only place for horse trailers/horses?

Artillery ridge is the only place where over night camping and picketing horses is permitted. CoopsZippos post has the info regarding links to maps and info.

horcgal
Oct. 4, 2008, 05:22 PM
OH, I didnt know that artillery was the "only" place for that!!! good to know!

they DO have places to picket horses??? Hmmm, have to go back to thier website and check it out better. It showed camping and showed horses in stalls/corrals elsewhere.....I guess a short walk from the campsites.

I couldnt get the map to work........itwouldnt come up for me. But, Im sure there are maps when you get there.

we are supposed to go up saturday oct 19th, ride, stay over and ride again sunday then come home. Of course, if it rains.......forget it !! Im not playing in the rain.

VAHorseGurl
Oct. 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
Oh, I have soo wanted to do this for a long time. I visit Gettysburg often enough, but never have I had the opportunity to ride the Battlefield. You guys are soo lucky!

If you end up going again before it gets too cold, perhaps my girlfriend and I could join you guys for a day trip. We will be at Cedar Creek the weekend of the 19th for a civil war reenactment.

And Thank You for posting this, and to those who posted the links for information! It will help with future planning. :)

~Kerri

jazzrider
Oct. 13, 2008, 05:08 PM
So did anyone go this weekend? The weather was perfect. If so, how did it go?

We may try to go next weekend, if we can get our act together. Otherwise we're doing Sky Meadows...j.