PDA

View Full Version : Floating Ball Antifreeze Tester (Colostrum Test)

SpruceLane
Apr. 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
In reassembling my foaling kit for this season, I discovered that my floating ball antifreeze tester (used to determine the quality of a mare's first milk) has gone missing in action.

I thought no big deal, I'll just head down to the local hardware store (I'm in Hamilton, Ontario) and grab another (they run about $2.50). Do you think I could find one?!?! I have searched EVERY hardware store in Hamilton and all I can find are the new dial kind, no floating balls in the eye dropper type.

So my question is two-fold. Will a dial kind work to test the colostrum quality or does anyone have a source that still carries the floating ball coolant testers and would be so kind as to buy me a couple and ship to me? I will happily pay you for the product, shipping, and your kindness. I tried to order one online (from a US source and shipping was going to cost $50 for me to get in a weeks time) :eek:

HELP!!

Evalee Hunter
Apr. 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hopefully Equine Reproduction will come on & give you an answer.

In the mean time, I put "floating ball antifreeze tester" in an internet search engine & there seem to be plenty of them still around.

Apr. 14, 2008, 03:39 PM
Check this link out $1.74, shipping is $6 or $10 depending on speed. They will ship 5 for an extra 50 cents.

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=89982

Erin Pittman
Apr. 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I have to say you've made me very curious. How do you use these to test colostrum? I'd love to know more!!!

Home Again Farm
Apr. 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
Erin, they test the specific gravity of the colostrum, which is a very good indicator of quality. You milk the mare into a small container and draw up some of the colostrum into the tester. If all the balls float, the colostrum should be good. If some don't we will give colostrum from the freezer that tested better or Seramune.

This was one of a gazillion things that can be learned at equine-reproduction.com's great seminars. :yes:

Equine Reproduction
Apr. 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
If all the balls float, the colostrum should be good. If some don't we will give colostrum from the freezer that tested better or Seramune.

Actually, you want all of the balls suspended in the colostrum. If they don't all float to the top, no biggie, but you want, at the very least, for them to be suspended. The higher they go, the better the quality of the colostrum.

This was one of a gazillion things that can be learned at equine-reproduction.com's great seminars. :yes:

<smile>..Glad you learned a gazillion things <grin>.

Kathy St.Martin
Equine Reproduction Short Courses
http://www.equine-reproduction.com

SpruceLane
Apr. 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
I know the floating ball type still exist (outside of Hamilton). It is the exorbitant shipping charges to send to Canada (upwards of $50 if they even ship to Canada) that I am baulking at.

I guess this is why I was wondering how useful the dial model would be as that is the only type I can find in Hamilton, Ontario.

This is the dial model that is available in our area: Dial Model Antifreeze Tester (http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/hardware_supplies.cfm?t=5&itemNumber=83091)

I refuse to pay 1000% more for shipping than the item is worth. That is just ridiculous. Hence why I am looking for a kind soul to pick one up, drop it in a letter sized envelope and slap the $5 postage (or what ever it is. I can't see it being $50 - like really?!?) and send me one. I will happily coordinate payment. More than happily :D

Leather
Apr. 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
Have you checked with any auto-parts stores? They might have a better selection than a hardware store.

Kneigh
Apr. 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, I second the auto store idea. That's where I bought mine last year.

Fairview Horse Center
Apr. 15, 2008, 05:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-BALL-ANTIFREEZE-TESTER-TESTING-AT-A-GLANCE-PLEWS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el12 47QQcategoryZ43989QQihZ007QQitemZ170194169643QQrdZ 1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ShippingPayment

Looks like first class is about $11 shipping

Erin Pittman
Apr. 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
Erin, they test the specific gravity of the colostrum, which is a very good indicator of quality. You milk the mare into a small container and draw up some of the colostrum into the tester. If all the balls float, the colostrum should be good. If some don't we will give colostrum from the freezer that tested better or Seramune.

I know about colostrum and specific gravity, etc. (using a colostrometer though, not an antifreeze tester). I guess, to be more specific, I was wondering how an antifreeze tester is used to test colostrum! I am always looking for inexpensive alternatives for when I teach my Equine Repro class...

Actually, you want all of the balls suspended in the colostrum. If they don't all float to the top, no biggie, but you want, at the very least, for them to be suspended. The higher they go, the better the quality of the colostrum.
Thanks, Kathy - that answers the question I had above. Of course, I don't know what the test looks like, but I bet I can figure it out...

Home Again Farm
Apr. 15, 2008, 07:55 PM
Erin, the tester looks like a giant eye dropper with little colored balls in it and a long tube on the end. Pull off the tube, as it is not needed. Use the tester just like an eye dropper to draw up the colostrum.

I meant to say suspended yesterday. I guess the brain is going. :winkgrin:

I have a colostrometer in my bag of tricks that I have used exactly once. The antifreeze tester is the way to go. :yes:

SpruceLane
Apr. 16, 2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I should have mentioned I exhausted all my local possibilities before posting here...hardware, auto, speciality shops. Everything but eBay...of course I wouldn't consider eBay local. I resorted to opening the yellow pages and calling every single entry and asking if they had a floating ball antifreeze tester.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-BALL-ANTIFREEZE-TESTER-TESTING-AT-A-GLANCE-PLEWS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el12 47QQcategoryZ43989QQihZ007QQitemZ170194169643QQrdZ 1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ShippingPayment

Looks like first class is about $11 shipping

Thank you thank you thank you FHC! I have already ordered and paid for two. And all for under $20.

Now, hopefully they get here before the foal does...:eek:

Erin Pittman
Apr. 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
Erin, the tester looks like a giant eye dropper with little colored balls in it and a long tube on the end. Pull off the tube, as it is not needed. Use the tester just like an eye dropper to draw up the colostrum.

I meant to say suspended yesterday. I guess the brain is going. :winkgrin:

I have a colostrometer in my bag of tricks that I have used exactly once. The antifreeze tester is the way to go. :yes:

Very cool. Thanks! :yes: