PDA

View Full Version : english trail riders-what do you bring?

Nezzy
Apr. 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
i am an english trail rider, i have a very comfy wintec 2000. I am curious how many english riders bring a lot of stuff with them. I am going to have a cell phone holder around my calf, and a water bottle-with shoulder strap, plus a hoofpick.

I am moving to a farm right on the outskirts of a state park that allows riding, so i won't be far from the barn. i have a vest that i can wear if i need to carry 2 bottles of water, plus maps, compass, matches, a whistle, hand-held pruners, but i really don't think i need all of that stuff.

Should i invest in a cantle bag thing? the english style don't look like they are very secure. i like to canter, so i don't want too much flapping against my horse, and him thinking that means i want him to go faster.

LittleblackMorgan
Apr. 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
I suppose that depends on how long you'll be on the trail.
I am an english rider, with a wintec, and I carry a nylon water bottle holder (from horse.com) The bottle it came with is gross, so usually I take a smaller bottle of water, a hoofpick, my cell strapped to my arm (holder from dover, works better on the arm, since your legs get brushed more by trees) and my horse has a badge I made at work. It has his picture, name and age, any medical conditions, the farm name and address, and my name and cell phone. Clips right onto his D ring, and is a big hit at the barn. I also clip jingle bells onto his D's-hunting season or not. You never know what you may encounter, and the bells help. They also soothe my horse.
Also, I am going to upstate NY this summer and will be carrying a luggage tag (the sleeve-type) with a copy of my guy's coggins in it (just in case).
I think that covers it. But hoof pick is a must! Even with barefoot horses like mine, you never know!

lalahartma1
Apr. 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
The horse badge is a great idea! I can imagine I may have a use for it some day, unfortunately!

BEARCAT
Apr. 9, 2008, 06:36 PM
I got one of those packs that fits on the back for my Competitive Trail Rides. I added 2 strings that I run back to the front D- rings and it has virtually no bounce!
I can stuff a lot of stuff in there too!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/4853602/10033983/246278978.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/4853602/10033983/180358471.jpg
(My first trail ride on my Mustang - don't look at my crappy eq!)

I have the Deluxe Stowaway Cantle bag:
http://www.horsesdacor.com/HorsesDacor/catalog/Bags.shtml

Equine Obsession
Apr. 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
I just wear a camelbak (http://www.rei.com/product/745293) with a hoofpick, cell phone maybe a snack, halter and leadrope sometimes. You can cram a lot of stuff in there. It has never broken no matter how hard I fall on it (I use it for snowboarding as well). :)

You also avoid the problem of flapping against your horse or losing all your things if your horse takes off without you aboard. :yes:

Nezzy
Apr. 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
thanks for the ideas. i need to make an ID tag for my horse, and maybe one for me in case i get knocked unconscious..you never know..

SarahandSam
Apr. 9, 2008, 07:54 PM
I plan to pick up a cheap luggage tag to clip onto my saddle with horse info and my info. Hadn't thought of that before but it does make sense. (:

I usually go for shorter trail rides, so I have ID and phone in pocket, water bottle that I can tie to D-rings if I think to bring it, which is rarely. I want to get a small cantle bag for this summer that will hold a water bottle and a couple more little things, but nothing too big.

pines4equines
Apr. 9, 2008, 08:12 PM
http://thetacklocker.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=615&osCsid=cfrkn133rok7151ktdoi22uv72

Unfortunately this site doesn't have a picture but I bought this little leather bag that attaches to the "D" rings of the saddle. I actually don't like and want to purchase a leather sandwich bag that is used in the hunt field. They're quite expensive but not as big and unwieldy as this one. The one on this site is large and it would flap against the horse. It doesn't seem to bother my horse but again, it is just not as streamlined as I'd like it.

I really don't bring much; cell phone, hoof pick and I have to say that's it.

jumpingpercheron
Apr. 9, 2008, 08:40 PM
I too trail ride in a Wintec. I have a really nice cantle bag with two water bottle holders. I usually always have a lead rope, hoofpick, leatherman, Gerber knife for longer rides.

Abberlaze
Apr. 9, 2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.roadid.com/common/id.aspx?referrer=2258

jeano
Apr. 10, 2008, 05:46 PM
please all you wintec trail riders, visit my "sigh...need saddle..." thread--y'all might have some encouraging words for me. Especially if you have a wide horse.....

Nezzy
Apr. 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.roadid.com/common/id.aspx?referrer=2258

EXCELLENT! thanks for posting that.

GallopGirl
Apr. 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
Depends on how long I'm riding and if I have someone with me. No need to bring 2 cell phones, 2 hoof picks, etc. Most of the time I ride alone. I take my cell phone, Ipod, sometimes water if I plan to ride for more than 3 hours, a hoof pick, and some horse cookies.

I've been carrying all that stuff in the pckets of a vest I wear when I'm riding, but I've been riding when it's colder. I don't know what I'm going to do now that it's getting warmer.

Jaegermonster
Apr. 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
I saw the coolest thing in a magazine I get and I am planning on ordering one. It's targeted toward runners, joggers etc people who exercise on the road and so on, but i think it would be perfect for us. It's a nylon wrist band thing with an engraveabvle plate

www.RoadId.com

Nezzy
Apr. 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
it is already posted in the 10th post of this thread, and i have already ordered myself 2 of them. one is my horse info, in case we are separated, it will be on his saddle. it gives my name, his name, my cell#, the barn# and my home number. the one for me is if i get knocked unconscious, and it has my name, my hubby's 3 phone numbers, home, cell, and work, and says that i have no allergies to meds. i will wear that on my person. i think these are great ideas.

Jaegermonster
Apr. 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
I saw that just now :) oh well. I don't get to the trail riding forum much, I must have missed that post. I just ordered the interactive one, it should be here in a week or so.
I also posted a thread about it on off course in case anyone else was interested in it.

I didn't get one for my horse (too expensive) but she has a dog tag from petsmart on her saddle with several phone numbers on it

kipster
Apr. 20, 2008, 04:05 PM
I also use the dog tag on my horses bridle when we trail ride. Thankfully we haven't had to use it!
I have a great square pad that has pockets on both sides of the pad. I bought it at my local tack store and it is great to be able to 'pack' things along and still canter with out things flopping around!

Beverley
Apr. 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
For an all day ride, I have a square pad with pockets, plus a little leather saddle bag I think I got inexpensively from wholesaletack.com or some similar site. I have two different water bottle holders, one that clips to a front dee or a leather one that holds a 1/2 liter bottle that clips to a set of the rear dees- I'll use both for an all-day ride in the heat. Horse wears halter and lead, and if I'm taking the hobbles, they'll go around his neck. Cell phone and multi tool go on my belt.

One of our club members has devised a way to pack for a couple of days into the back country with her English saddle, carrying tent, sleeping bag, etc. When packing I just use my western gear.