PDA

View Full Version : Hi. My name is "Sucker". Perhaps you've heard of me . . .

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:21 PM
So. I was looking for a school horse. I'm cheap, so was looking at ranch horses--30 days to teach them to direct rain and go over cavaletti and you've got a nice, broke, school horse.

I wanted a gelding. I wanted something 9 or younger. I wanted something deadly quiet.

But then I drove up to this place to see a mare that had been advertised. Found a mud and wound encrusted buckskin mare tied to a T-post. She was one of seven tied to t-posts, inclduing two yearlings that were about 100lbs undrweight and and a paint with a gaping hock wound lovingly sprayed with Furaspray.

She was was head shy as anything, pulled back against her T-post, had feet that had clearly not been touched in months (and she wouldn't pick them up), bloody sores on her head and mouth, and open, scabby wounds from where she'd been hobbled. She'd been advertised as 8, but when we arrived were informed that they'd just checked her papers and she was actually 10.

Not at all what I was looking for. Not at all.

Women gets on her, takes her down to the "ring". The gravel driveway would have been better footing. And this little thing on those wounded legs, overdue feet, and on footing I couldn't walk on proceeds to move better and sounder than half the horses in my barn. Damn, what a fancy critter.

But wait, no, not wild, but too much to be a beginner school horse. Too old. Doesn't pick up it's feet.

Hubby gets on her. Rides for 5 minutes before his smile is too big to contain. No, dang it, this is NOT WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR.

Then he takes her outside, and proceeds to canter her through the edge of a lake, over a ditch/swale, and over a log. Perfect, eager, and quiet.

Goddamnit.

So guess who came home with me today. I paid next to nothing for her, and mainly what she's done in her life is have babies. But I couldn't leave her there. I just couldn't.

They never called her anything but a very bad word I can't say on the BB.

I've named her Matilda. Hopefully with some care and work she'll make up into a fun little Novice horse for somebody.

But yes, I am that sucker.

Gry2Yng
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a great find. Except for the name. Give her a fancy name and she will become a fancy horse. Good luck.

Gunnar
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for sharing! Your story made me smile! :sadsmile::)

clivers
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:25 PM
Aw, good for you!!! She sounds really nice and REALLY deserving. Pics please :)

horsechick
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:25 PM
yay for you and yay for Matilda!!:yes:

post some pics...

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't know...she sounds like a nice Husband horse!

We are all suckers but it actually sounds like you found yourself a nice little horse...so not sure who really was the sucker!

ravenclaw
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:36 PM
You done good, Phoenix. And you know it. :)

I want to see pictures, too. :yes:

Seal Harbor
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
Not a sucker. You are that horses saviour. She deserved better than she was getting (actually it sounds as though they all did!) and proved she was worthy.

I hope she continues to impress you. :yes:

snoopy
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:48 PM
people, animals, and things come into our lives for a reason. And I must admit ALL of my horses/pets have chosen me and not the other way round.
Good for you and good for your new mare. Keep us informed of her progress.
As others have said...you done good girl!!!!:D

BarbB
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
good for you!
and yay for Matilda!

a friend of a friend just picked up one similar off of Craigslist. So wormy her hair is like straw and a big gut, ticks all over her head and neck, feet.....sheeeesh. They were slowly starving her, cutting back hay as she looked 'fat'.

Look past all that to the CUTEST QH face, nice proportions, good quality feet, lovely neck. nice walk and great trot, soft sad eye......he got her for next to nothing. Both of them got lucky.

Bless nice people and lucky horses.

ellebeaux
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:53 PM
The only way I can tell how much of a sucker you are is to see PICS!!!

Lori B
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
I second that, Ellebeaux.

What a lucky girl. I hope she is a good girl for you, to reward you for your good deed.

audgesmom
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
why not call her the matilde (french version)...just slightly more refined.... teal could be her barn name.....she sounds like a good girl

TampaBayEquine
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
Pheonix,
You did the right thing. I have one in my barn with a similar story. I planned on selling her after she was healthy and trained. Too late now, I love her , she is just super cool and so much fun to have around ! Yours will be great for you!

Mariequi
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:52 PM
She sounds very cool and I hope you have a long time with her. She'll appreciate the saving too I bet!

sunnycher
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
After all that has been reported on RHHT, sad news, etc, maybe I'm just emotional - your story is wonderful, good for you!

TXAuburnTiger
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
Thank you for the story! I needed a smile and the thought of Matilda coming to your home and being loved and taken care of is just the ticket. Can't wait to see pictures of her!

merrygoround
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:44 PM
And the address of the place that you found her is....................? Maybe she has some relatives, friends, or whatevers who need similar homes.

Think --share the wealth. :)

ThatScaryChick
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
You're not a sucker, but it sounds to me like you did a good deed. Maybe when she gets in better shape, she'll turn out to be the horse you are looking for.

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:59 PM
He he :winkgrin: LOVE it!!! Congrats to you both and I'll bet she turns into the best horse ever!

NomdePlume
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
All animals come into our lives for a reason... :lol:
She'll be beautiful in no time! ;)
p.s. I think I've been to that ranch...eek! :eek:

shea'smom
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
PhoenixFarm,
She will be great, because you named her Matilda!!
I have the same story. I went to a place I know was buying horses and fatting them up, for that long, last drive. There were 60 horses there. I needed a lesson pony.
There was an old, sad pony. She was a buckskin, runny, sore eyes, signs of founder, heavie. I paid $400 to get her out of there.
I call her Matilda! She has been with me 4 years. She walks/trots in summer camp about two weeks every summer. Otherwise, she eats.
She is a sweetie and your's will be too.
You are not a sucker, you are an angel.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
K--I'm going to try to post the photos of her here:

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=217647787/a=125617479_125617479/t_=125617479

I gave her a bit of a brush after she got off the trailer, but mostly just wanted her to settle in, so she's still pretty rough looking. I'm keeping her isolated for about a week, as her previous home didn't scream health to me. Tomorrow we'll begin the extreme makeover.

So far she's been a perfect lady, and informed me that she doesn't know what a bran mash is, but she's not certain it's edible.

Oh, and whovever mentioned her as a horse for my husband, well, he loves her, but it's not a husband horse in the sense you mean--he's an Intermediate-level eventer in his own right, so there isn't much that isn't a "husband horse" in our household, LOL.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
And the address of the place that you found her is....................? Maybe she has some relatives, friends, or whatevers who need similar homes.

Think --share the wealth. :)

The two scrawny yearlings are for sale, $350 each. :no::(

If anyone wnats the lady's number/location, feel free to PM me. :sadsmile:

BarbB
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:28 PM
I can only see the first picture. She is CUTE!

annikak
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:29 PM
She will be waltzing soon, for sure! She is lovely. I have always been a sucker for a pretty buckskin! Congrats, and your farm (grass...) is lovely!;)

annikak
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:29 PM
I can only see the first picture. She is CUTE!

you have to get an account, but it seems good to me, as you get free prints when you do so! So, I did so!

SmallHerd
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:40 PM
Congratulations! Her show name could be Waltzing Matilda.

You did a very good thing today, and she will repay you 10-fold. :)

TKR
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:43 PM
I sure wish someone close by could take those poor yearlings and that injured gelding -- kudos to you for taking the lucky mare. I'm glad for both of you. I just always feel bad for the ones who are left behind in such horrible conditions.
PennyG

TampaBayEquine
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:13 PM
OH MY she is super-cute in the first pic! Couldn't see the other ones...Maybe show-name her something to do with being lucky or having a second chance... Maybe Shamrock, clover, or, Oxalis, I think is latin for shamrock...

incahoots
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
As I was driving away from the runny eyed, covered in rain rot, 200# underweight mare all I could think of was "How can you leave her there?" So I went back and gave them their $650 and brought her home. I've never done a rescue before and I was really surprised how good it made me feel. And it still makes me feel good every day!

Candle
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:22 PM
She's BEAUTIFUL!! :yes: I am a sucker for that kind of adorable face too

BasqueMom
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
She's lovely--ya did a good thing. Here's hoping she more than repays you many times
over. From you pics, it looks like she has landed in horsey heaven.

Dreams Do Come True
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:49 PM
It was meant to be. I swear they are the best ones. I bought a barely trained, couldn't pick up her feet, under weight, dink toed, six year old, breeding stock paint mare for $250.00. Her breed name is supposedly Mans Golden (Bleeeeep) :eek. Her barn name is Rythem and her show name is The Princess Pony. She is now 24 years old and still kicks butt at the shows. I always kid about writing a book about her. I should.
Have fun with her. Give Matilda a hug for us from my girls (horses).

Just Walter
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
You did great! I am so happy to hear that other people think that a good ranch broke horse will make great LL eventers! I grew up on a ranch and all of our 100 ranch broke horses would have been able to complete almost any of the BN/N courses I've seen.

She is SOOO cute and I just love the name!

:yes:

ThatScaryChick
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:43 AM
I just looked at the picture and I must say, she is lovely. She really looks like a kind mare. She is certainly a beautiful color!

ellebeaux
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:00 AM
Oh, she's a keeper, unless you want to sell her to me????

Good job!

Kenike
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:01 AM
She's cute!!! And lucky! Has that look of "how'd I get here, and what do I do? Wow, this is a relief.." look on her face.

And I like the name Matilda! (it was my grandmother's middle name, my great-grand's name)

Robby Johnson
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:58 AM
I think that is a fancy name. Especially if you spell it Mathilde. Congratulations. I miss you!

texaseventer
Mar. 20, 2008, 07:30 AM
Yay for you!!! Matilda found YOU and I will echo the sentiments of so many previous posters that it sounds like you two were meant to be! Thanks for the smile!:winkgrin:

camohn
Mar. 20, 2008, 07:32 AM
K--I'm going to try to post the photos of her here:

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=217647787/a=125617479_125617479/t_=125617479

I gave her a bit of a brush after she got off the trailer, but mostly just wanted her to settle in, so she's still pretty rough looking. I'm keeping her isolated for about a week, as her previous home didn't scream health to me. Tomorrow we'll begin the extreme makeover.

So far she's been a perfect lady, and informed me that she doesn't know what a bran mash is, but she's not certain it's edible.

Oh, and whovever mentioned her as a horse for my husband, well, he loves her, but it's not a husband horse in the sense you mean--he's an Intermediate-level eventer in his own right, so there isn't much that isn't a "husband horse" in our household, LOL.
Good job rescuing her but make her isolation 2 weeks. A lot of germies have a 2 week incubation period......

buschkn
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
OMG, she is SOOO cute! That coloring is gorgeous. Good job, I agree that you won't regret it. Looks and sounds like a keeper. ;)

LisaB
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:25 AM
Welcome to sucker land! I too got the complete opposite of what I was looking for. My criteria was something bred to event or is currently eventing. What did I get? A tyranosaurus rex that came from the Amish.
The heart does strange things, doesn't it?

Cobee
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm a sucker too

YOU WANT TO SELL HER TO ME!!!!:eek:

She looks great!!! I'd have bought her too, granted my husband would likely divore me for it :yes:

starrysky
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:07 PM
She is adorable, and I can't wait to hear how she is progressing! Congrats for getting her out of that situation!:yes:

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:25 PM
she is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

If you do want to sell her........... I know of a great home:winkgrin: :D :D :winkgrin: :D :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:25 PM

She's too cute. That was me about a "husband horse"... your husband may not need her but if you send her to me and include a good husband prospect I'll take her (and him):lol:

Someone will fall in love with her quickly.

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:30 PM
Welcome to sucker land! I too got the complete opposite of what I was looking for. My criteria was something bred to event or is currently eventing. What did I get? A tyranosaurus rex that came from the Amish.
The heart does strange things, doesn't it?

I passed an Amish cart last weekend that was being pulled by one of the fanciest movers I've seen in a long long time. Horse screamed UL sport horse (NOT cart horse). If I had been in a different situation (busy road with no shoulder and I was late)....I would have pulled over and asked if that horse was for sale. You never know where some of these diamonds in the rough are hiding. My best event horse I bought from a family that nicked named him Alpo...or dog meat. I sat on him for 5 minutes, jumped one jump and wrote them a check with a smile on my face! He was a cool cool horse in the wrong hands.

Good luck with your pretty new girl!

ravenclaw
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think she's really cute!! :yes: I love her color and markings. And she's only going to get prettier with grooming and as she builds muscle.

I hope she is settling in and being a good girl. How tall is she?

bludini
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:42 PM
As in "out of the ashes".

What a lovely mare. Makes you just want to save them all.

LuvMyTB
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ooooh.....she is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations and good luck to you both!

AnotherRound
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
Really great story, and she is just darling - what pretty coloring! This summer, built up and sleek won't she be a looker!!

We do want better pics - I don't want to subscribe anywhere to view pics, and wouldn't it be fun to see before and afters.

Congrats. Sucker. :D

AppJumpr08
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:07 PM
Good on you!!
She's lovely :)

Can't wait to see how she progresses - thank you for giving her a second chance!

2boys
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:20 PM
people, animals, and things come into our lives for a reason. And I must admit ALL of my horses/pets have chosen me and not the other way round.
I really like this quote-everytime I see it.:cool:

That is a beautiful girl you have.

Gnep
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
come on Phoenix have the guts, call her Sucker, she sucked you in.
I called my dogs by their place of origin.
Roadside and Sidewalk

eventer15
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
She is very cute! Good luck with her :)

FlashGordon
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
So. I was looking for a school horse. I'm cheap, so was looking at ranch horses--30 days to teach them to direct rain and go over cavaletti and you've got a nice, broke, school horse.

I wanted a gelding. I wanted something 9 or younger. I wanted something deadly quiet.

But then I drove up to this place to see a mare that had been advertised. Found a mud and wound encrusted buckskin mare tied to a T-post. She was one of seven tied to t-posts, inclduing two yearlings that were about 100lbs undrweight and and a paint with a gaping hock wound lovingly sprayed with Furaspray.

She was was head shy as anything, pulled back against her T-post, had feet that had clearly not been touched in months (and she wouldn't pick them up), bloody sores on her head and mouth, and open, scabby wounds from where she'd been hobbled. She'd been advertised as 8, but when we arrived were informed that they'd just checked her papers and she was actually 10.

Not at all what I was looking for. Not at all.

Women gets on her, takes her down to the "ring". The gravel driveway would have been better footing. And this little thing on those wounded legs, overdue feet, and on footing I couldn't walk on proceeds to move better and sounder than half the horses in my barn. Damn, what a fancy critter.

But wait, no, not wild, but too much to be a beginner school horse. Too old. Doesn't pick up it's feet.

Hubby gets on her. Rides for 5 minutes before his smile is too big to contain. No, dang it, this is NOT WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR.

Then he takes her outside, and proceeds to canter her through the edge of a lake, over a ditch/swale, and over a log. Perfect, eager, and quiet.

Goddamnit.

So guess who came home with me today. I paid next to nothing for her, and mainly what she's done in her life is have babies. But I couldn't leave her there. I just couldn't.

They never called her anything but a very bad word I can't say on the BB.

I've named her Matilda. Hopefully with some care and work she'll make up into a fun little Novice horse for somebody.

But yes, I am that sucker.

Oh I know this story well! I am the world's biggest sucker. I have a thing for hard luck cases. Been down this road with two of the three I've owned in my life... the mare went on to be a lovely little school horse for a friend, and the gelding seems to have found love with a fantastic teenager.

Kudos to you for taking this little mare on, and no doubt she will go on to make someone very happy! :)

Pinerose
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:09 PM
Heck, I think you should change your name to "LUCKY"! Congrats on your new horse, hope the honeymoon never ends!!

kb
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:12 PM
You're not a sucker...you are just a big softie! She is beautimous!!!!!!!

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well, her first day passed without a hitch. She crosstied in the wash stall and got a major deshedding, the hair clipped out of her wounds, and lots of scrubbing, treatment and disinfecting. She stood quietly for all of it and didn't make a fuss at all.

I can tell she's a little lonely in the isolation paddock and I feel bad about that, but the time will pass quickly. I don't think the grass in the paddock is all that great, but she apparently disagrees 'cuz she isn't touching the hay, just grazing like a little lawnmower. Shes friendly, sweet and charming, and funnily enough her headshyness is already about half of what it was.

I think she's going to be a super horse. The two big hurdles are her feet, which should be done in the next couple of days, and her teeth, which are scheduled for April 2nd. I think with that, she'll be a new woman, and ready to start work in her new life.

Thanks for all the support guys, we'll see where she wants to go. :D

quietly
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:40 PM
I picked one of those up off of the backside of a race track. Tried to make her into a jumper but her brain never settled. She was so afraid that I finally gave up and threw her in the field while I figured out what to do with her.

Six months later got on her and took her on a trail ride around the farm for a lack of better things to do. She was amazing... Ten years later she's the best trail horse I've ever had, completely unfazed by anything that happens to her in the woods...

Mine isn't as cute as your's is, congrats :)

criss
Mar. 21, 2008, 12:13 AM
Good for you, OP!

One thing I would ask, though: Why would you not report these people to your local animal control (or at least talk to your local horse rescue and see who they recommend reporting to)?

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
Good for you, OP!

One thing I would ask, though: Why would you not report these people to your local animal control (or at least talk to your local horse rescue and see who they recommend reporting to)?

They actually aren't local to me--I drove more than 3 hours to find her (out here in Cali that's an afternoon jaunt :winkgrin: ). I don't even know what county they are in.

Plus, in my brief expereince with animal control, they simply aren't in bad enough shape. There's no law againt tying horses to t-posts, having skinny yearlings, or treating wounds with homemade remedies. It's not what I find acceptable, but it's not illegal as long as thy have shelter, food, and water. One of the vets I use is our local humane society equine vet, and I talked to him about it, and he said if they were in this county, they wouldn't be bad enough to get any action against--the best he could hope for is that they'd read the pamphlets he'd leave on feeding and care. :(

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
You are definitely not a sucker. Wish we could find one just like her for our buckskin TB colt here in FL. She is really gorgeous. Can't wait to find out how she is after internal and external "cleanup" and dental work, and you can start her on her new career - whatever it turns out to be. She will definitely be eye-catching on XC.

criss
Mar. 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
Okay, so, find out what county they're in--or what horse rescue they're near--and get someone to go out and offer to help/educate.

I've been an executive director of a horse rescue. I get it. You're probably right that, as long as they are feeding the horses and treating their wounds (even if it's not a remotely correct treatment plan), nothing can be done.

But that doesn't mean you can't get someone with a badge to go out and put a bit of a scare into 'em if you think that would help, or alternatively someone without a badge who will offer them some help figuring out how to better care for the horses, if you think that would work better with these individuals.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
Okay, so, find out what county they're in--or what horse rescue they're near--and get someone to go out and offer to help/educate.

I've been an executive director of a horse rescue. I get it. You're probably right that, as long as they are feeding the horses and treating their wounds (even if it's not a remotely correct treatment plan), nothing can be done.

But that doesn't mean you can't get someone with a badge to go out and put a bit of a scare into 'em if you think that would help, or alternatively someone without a badge who will offer them some help figuring out how to better care for the horses, if you think that would work better with these individuals.

Last year I officially rescued my 1st horse (I've bought some b4 that I thought I was really rescuing, LOL). I drove 5hrs one way to get him, sight unseen, and wasn't told b4 hand about the horrible hock injury he had. When I got home, after driving there and back in one day, my partner took one look at him and said, "why didn't you just turn around and leave without him?" He's since changed his tune. I've been able to verify this colt's breeding and he's a royally bred Arabian. The farm where he was bred wouldn't register him because he has a blue eye and can't be shown at halter with that. They also wouldn't cooperate with me to get him registered, but oh well, he's still adorable.

Now, the reason for referencing the quote above. I'm faced with the dilemma of turning in my neighbors for abuse. I'm ashamed to say I've been putting it off because of past conflicts I've had with them. I know they'll try to convince anyone who comes out that I called just because of sour grapes, but surely the physical condition of the horses will be the obvious reason for my report?!

FlashGordon
Mar. 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
They actually aren't local to me--I drove more than 3 hours to find her (out here in Cali that's an afternoon jaunt :winkgrin: ). I don't even know what county they are in.

Plus, in my brief expereince with animal control, they simply aren't in bad enough shape. There's no law againt tying horses to t-posts, having skinny yearlings, or treating wounds with homemade remedies. It's not what I find acceptable, but it's not illegal as long as thy have shelter, food, and water. One of the vets I use is our local humane society equine vet, and I talked to him about it, and he said if they were in this county, they wouldn't be bad enough to get any action against--the best he could hope for is that they'd read the pamphlets he'd leave on feeding and care. :(

I had the same issue when I picked up my gelding. Two horses in a stall, horses tied to posts, horses caked in mud and manure, skinny babies, skinny broodmares, yucky stalls, bad feet, etc. and I'd say every horse on the property was neglected and mishandled. But horses weren't in too bad of shape for animal control to do anything.

I had my gelding "vetted" just to be sure he didn't have any infectious diseases and discussed with the vet about reporting them but she agreed it just wasn't "bad enough." Sad, but true. :(

criss
Mar. 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
Now, the reason for referencing the quote above. I'm faced with the dilemma of turning in my neighbors for abuse. I'm ashamed to say I've been putting it off because of past conflicts I've had with them. I know they'll try to convince anyone who comes out that I called just because of sour grapes, but surely the physical condition of the horses will be the obvious reason for my report?!
Document, document, document. Take photos from your property or a public way (if you're trespassing, photos can be useless).

Get in touch with a horse rescue and find out from them how it works in your area. At a minimum, they can tell you their experiences and who to go to, or they may take it on themselves to help you get the authorities involved.

If you can come up with a plausible story for "Someone who was lost, trying to find his old buddy's house, turned down the wrong road, and happened to see these horses and reported them to us," it might make it easier on you with your neighbor (or it might not, depends how gullible your neighbor is :) ).

Toadie's mom
Mar. 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Document, document, document. Take photos from your property or a public way (if you're trespassing, photos can be useless).

Get in touch with a horse rescue and find out from them how it works in your area. At a minimum, they can tell you their experiences and who to go to, or they may take it on themselves to help you get the authorities involved.

If you can come up with a plausible story for "Someone who was lost, trying to find his old buddy's house, turned down the wrong road, and happened to see these horses and reported them to us," it might make it easier on you with your neighbor (or it might not, depends how gullible your neighbor is :) ).
I have taken pics., but unfortunately these horses aren't visible from the street, so I guess it's entirely up to me.

criss
Mar. 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I guess so. Tread carefully--if you could convince the neighbor you really were trying to help, you might be able to accomplish something, though it sounds unlikely if there are already interpersonal problems between you. Also, you want to make sure you don't endanger yourself or your own animals if you really piss the neighbor off. At the same time, I wouldn't use "but it'll make my neighbor mad at me" as an excuse to not help the horses, unless you truly think there's a safety concern.

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
Yay for an awesome steed with the same name as me!!! Woohooo!