PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know eventers who have been successful...

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:14 PM
in hunter divisions after retiring (or just changing jobs)?

Just curious. I'm thinking about horses who were relatively successful eventing first.

dirtgirl
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have a friend of mine who bought another woman's eventer for her daughter. While he's a little like, what, jump another round again? He's been great and done very well!

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
Didn't Bruce Davidson's little stallion Lion King get gelded and turn into a hunter some years ago?

QHEventr
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, Bruce's Lion King was gelded and purchased by a YR to do hunter classes. I think that she posts on the H/J forum. I believe that he has a bit of success.

Also, hasn't A fine Romance done a bit of everything?

Johanna

Xctrygirl
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
Ok here's where age catches up with me. But Annie Eldridge sold her very nice bay gelding who did Prelim or Int to Betty Oare and he went on to be very successful in Hunters.

This was circa 1996-97 ish.

~Emily

yellowbritches
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
We've sold a couple of horses into the Eq ring. Does that count?? One was bought with the intent of it being the horse that the boss would try and get to the Athens Olympics on, but he was too big and hard on himself, and tried to break down once we started trying to get him ready for the two star level. He then nearly made it to Grand Prix in show jumping, but, again, couldn't hold up (we blame some of this on poor management by the rider/trainer we had him with...we were clueless and just went on the advice of another eventer). He finally has found his niche in the Big Eq. He went to all the medal finals with various kids one year, and now has his very own kid to take care of.

We have a fellow COTH member who has the other one, Tip. But I don't know if I would deem him as a "successful" eventer. He could have been, but he had the bejesus scared out of him at Seneca one year when he got chased 3/4 of the way around the xc by someone's JRT (a JUMP JUDGE'S JRT, at that!). He was never quite right, after that. xctrygirl got to ride him for a summer and ended up taking him to Local finals at WIHS!!!! He's a super cool horse and I couldn't have wished for a better person to have him!

yellowbritches
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:31 PM
Corta Glen (or is it Gorta Glen??), who DOC won Radnor or the two star at Jersey Fresh on one year, and then Austin Allen did YRs on, is now a hunter and pretty successful at it.

eventrider
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
My first advanced horse Ben should have done hunters. I was offered big sums of money for him several times, and he was ridden by a BN hunter trainer here that wanted to purchase him for hunters, but being a silly attached teen-ager I passed it up.

Christan

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:26 PM
OK, next question: If you had an eventer who could also be a hunter, would you enter a hunter competition if there was an incentive (built into the competition)?

Eventingjunkie
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:27 PM
Lantana, an Oldenburg chestnut gelding, owned and bred by Elizabeth Callahan and ridden by Marty Morani at advanced in 2005 is now showing and winning at the level 7 jumpers and Mini prix.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:33 PM
AH, but it's gotta be hunters. Like, maybe, the new "high performance hunter" type stuff: four-footers.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
Can't believe I'm the first one to post the really big one.

Julie Gomena's Treaty, who WON Rolex (when it was a CCI***), was sold as a big money hunter. They had a picture of him competing at Upperville in the Chronicle. My memory is that Julie said he was happy doing the job, and she got three times the money for him than if she'd sold him as an eventer despite hiis impeccable credentials. Plus the vetting wasn't nearly as rigorous.

As far as the second question, if I had one for sale that I thought could be sucessful at both, and there was an incentive, I would consider entering the horse with a proper hunter rider. If you ask me if I'd ride it myself, no, I'd rather claw my own eyeballs out. (That's not a slam on hunters--I just don't ride that way, period, and why go and have a bad hunter round and prove some eventing stereotypes. Well, that and I CANNOT STAND the waiting around. The endless, endless waiting around, while we wait for trainers, parents, Godot, whoever. K' guess that last part was a bit of a slam on the hunters, but I do admire their top riders). I also wouldn't do it with one I was planning to keep as en eventer.

I've had a few off the track that wouldn't go XC, and rehomed them as hunters, but I always managed to sell them cheaply without show miles, or found a friends, cousin's roomate or some such type who was a hunter rider who was willing to show them for me.

Xctrygirl
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
Wait,

Why would we not enter our eventers in hunter shows anyway?? Incentive or not, I willingly and happily enter hunter shows, maybe not A shows, but we do it to practice the steadiness of our rounds.

Someone will have to explain to me the "downside" of competing in a variety of disciplines.

~Emily

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:41 PM
This is great. Really. More, please???

yellowbritches
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
PhoenixFarm just listed off all the reasons why I'm not looking forward to carting a few over to Morven for a hunter show in a couple of weeks. I don't mind the schooling part of it (8 nice fences from good distances while working for the relentless pursuit of rhythm). Not wild about the waiting, waiting, waiting, or that I have to go and buy a shirt. :lol:

At least we're going to Morven...we can run reconn missions all day to help decide when we actually GO with the horses!!! :lol:

mbj
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
I believe several of Missy Ransehausen's horses went on to be good Equitation horses.

mbj
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Also, back in the Dark Ages, Heyday's grandma was Reserve Champion Junior Hunter at Harrisburg, did Junior Jumpers, foxhunted, and did Prelim eventing with me when I was 12-17 or 18. Cross training is fun! :)

IFG
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
I am older than XCNTYGRL. Molly Bliss' horse, I think the Roan Ranger went to do the Eq.

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
I was going to mention Julie's horse (that was my first trip to Rolex!) but I couldn't remember if he'd gone on to do hunters or jumpers. Great story, though! :)

lbennet6
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
I went through training on my old horse, Riley. Before I got him he was going prelim...He tore a muscle and I didn't want to put the stress on his leg, so I switched disciplines. Luckily I knew of a great local hunter/jumper trainer who put lots of painstaking hours into polishing us up for the hunter/eq ring. We were successful at the local circuit showing in the Adult Hunters and Equitation....I didn't do any A shows because I'm a broke college student :). We actually qualified for the year end PSJ adult medal finals in 2006. I would always feel really good when we did well because we were both still eventers at heart :)

I know Riley's story is NOWHERE NEAR the big time...but I thought you might enjoy a story about a local success

here are a few pictures...one of us eventing and the other from the hunter ring.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/th_riley7.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/riley7.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/th_riley5.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/riley5.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/th_riley.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/ImetJewel/riley.jpg)

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
Wait,

Why would we not enter our eventers in hunter shows anyway?? Incentive or not, I willingly and happily enter hunter shows, maybe not A shows, but we do it to practice the steadiness of our rounds.

Someone will have to explain to me the "downside" of competing in a variety of disciplines.

~Emily

No downside, Emily. Just a trial baloon that resulted from a committee meeting this eventing. Out west, they are having an Eventing Derby at a few H-J shows in an effort to promote the sport to that crowd. There has been some interest from the "high performance hunter" side--that's a new hunter program designed to put more "oomph" into what has been referred to as the "profressional" divisons: the 3'6" through 4' working hunters. In h-j land, this new thrust aims to make those courses more challenging by including more natural obstacles such as gates, walls and brush (plus more riding-off-your-eye tracks to get away from counting strides).

Basically, their goal is one of getting back to what foxhunters were originally: horses comfortable to ride at a decent pace over varied terrain and natural obstacles. That said, you can see why a potential relationship between such new classes and eventing has arisen. In a discussion after this came up, I proposed getting eventers to enter as well to promote the idea that event horses are all-round talents who can also show the style and sophistication necessary for hunters. A sort of "show, don't tell" thing to illustrate the fun and fundamental solidity (not the yahoo daredevilishness) of the sport.

Upstage is the horse I used as an example. I've always felt each time he has loped around Rolex, he has stepped over jumps with the kind of style and rhythm that would make a four-foot horse (hunter) weap with envy!

eks
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
Didn't one of Linden Weisman's former horses also go to the hunter ring?

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:34 PM
Dutch Delph went in to that world, but I thought he'd become an Eq horse.

IfWishesWereHorses
Mar. 19, 2008, 03:52 AM
Lots in NZ have gone from eventing to hunters..

Megan finlayson had a good int/adv horse who won lots as a hunter and she sold him to CA as a hunter.

Waitangi Jetstream won NZ 5yr old SJ Horse of the year, then Puhinui 1* and Taupo 2* as a 6yr old, then this year (8yr old) he went to one national hunter show and won all classes, then came out NZ champion lol. He's now for sale and i believe the owners are selling him as a hunter as he does so well at it.

Imti Anees just bought a horse from NZ who has placed through to intermediate eventing, but also won and placed in many hunter classes, including winning show championships and being on the national points list even though he only did a few shows.

Mark Todds horse Gandalf Im pretty sure has done hunter classes well, though obviously he's still an eventer!

I think if the horses are quiet and well trained, with a very good techinique they can easily switch codes.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:24 AM
Except that NZ hunters aren't like US hunters at all. Different sport entirely, I believe. US hunters (and how they are judged) are pretty unique in the world. (Presented as sort of a "devil's advocate" response--what hunter folk might think, for example.)

Trixie
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well, that and I CANNOT STAND the waiting around. The endless, endless waiting around, while we wait for trainers, parents, Godot, whoever. K' guess that last part was a bit of a slam on the hunters, but I do admire their top riders

Eh, most of us hunter riders hate that too. :lol:

purplnurpl
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
I'll retire him to hunters.
Either I'll show him or I'll lease him out.

I would hit the A shows now if I could afford it. Shoot. Makey me some money for once.

And on top of that, like Christan I'm stupid. I just can't sell him. He's my boy.

Let me go find some hunter pics...
he's a cookie cutter jumper.
His full brother was actually sold as a hunter.

this was in his first 6 months of jumping. He was trying to tell me that he should be a hunter.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/baby.jpg

my fav from Pine Top Prelim
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/eyesclosed-1.jpg

some other random XC fences
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/corner.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/xcramp.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/bankrolltop.jpg

What the heck am I doing showing him as an eventer? I could be winning money and trailers. That makes me double stupid. lol.

My newest addition, Endeavor, I can hoof heartedly say that he is an eventer through and through.

Kristen Wertz

pwynnnorman
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, that's exactly the kind of hrose that would probably be ideal for the high performance hunter stuff. Do you think he's still of a mind to do it (i.e. the quietness expected)? How long has he been eventing now?

clpony
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:12 AM
Wow purplnurpl.....nice!!

purplnurpl
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:26 AM
Quiet? His nick name is "The Turtle"
I have a turtle crossing sign for him infront of the barn.
braaahahahaha!

I'll admit.
It ain't me.

he's a freak of the trade.
What is also funny about him is that he is a metronome and gets pissed when you try to screw with him rhythm and tempo. He's a weird bird for sure.
With very very consistant dressage scores to boot he's screams team horse.
to bad so sad. he's mine. : )

I live next to a hunter jumper barn and use their fences for jump schools.
hehehehe. It's torcher for the trainer over there.

Kristen Wertz

glfprncs
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:16 AM
I was going to mention Julie's horse (that was my first trip to Rolex!) but I couldn't remember if he'd gone on to do hunters or jumpers. Great story, though! :)

I thought Treaty went on to do Equitation, not Hunters. Can anybody verify?

SteeleRdr
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:23 AM
Lantana, an Oldenburg chestnut gelding, owned and bred by Elizabeth Callahan and ridden by Marty Morani at advanced in 2005 is now showing and winning at the level 7 jumpers and Mini prix.

Elizabeth Callahan no longer owns Lantana, my cousin bought him a few years ago. Lantana started out in the Eq before moving to the jumpers. My cousin owns him, and I believe he is currently for sale because she is going to college in the fall.

katie16
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:39 AM
OK, next question: If you had an eventer who could also be a hunter, would you enter a hunter competition if there was an incentive (built into the competition)?

Sure! As long as I had a hunter rider (not an eventer) to ride him.

mjrtango93
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
Well we have one that did double duty. Daggin evented through advanced and had done 2 3***'s, and was cross entered in the hunters and B and A shows. Normally did quite well actually. He did the handy hunters and the modified's (about 3'6"-3'9" I believe). Place he normally did poorly oddly enough was in the line, he was a bit of a nipper and the judges never liked that.

My advanced horse was retired at age 11 due to a myriad of health issues and is now an eq horse. I still own him but lease him to a girl that does the eq. He has never been worse then 2nd or 3rd, well except for that first round where he bucked in the lead changes and locked onto any fence anywhere near him, yeah that was a pretty round. Now he gets it and just does his thing. We entered him in the hunters because he has the form for it but has too much movement in the canter to pin well, and his trot is too bouncy for the u/s classes.

We cross enter almost everything into the hunters or eq ring to work on balance and rythm.

InVA
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
Didn't one of Linden Weisman's former horses also go to the hunter ring?

Dutch Delph did go on to do the jumpers and EQ.

Perhaps Buzz lightyear as well but I can't be sure.

Primitive Gold COULD have gone and done... . anything.. He and Anderoo are currently Whipping In for a local hunt (at ages 18 and 19 I think! ) - with Linden aboard of course.

ZELLA
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Kelli Temple's Kilkenny, finished 5th among all team horses at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta (they ran two 3-days then, one for teams and one for individual medals). He went on to a long, successful hunter career.

Happily, he came back to Kelli's farm to live out his retirement as a pasture puff. He's old and stiff now, but he still has that sparkle in his eye. Hopefully, some of you will remember how magnificent he was in his day.

BAC
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:46 PM
The eventer Bold Minstrel, ridden by Michael Plumb in the Tokyo Olympics then competed as a hunter before moving on to the show jumping team where he competed with Bill Steinkraus and set a puissance record of 7'3".

purplnurpl
Mar. 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
I wish you guys had pictures!

I want to see the infamous horses in action!

poltroon
Mar. 19, 2008, 02:33 PM
No downside, Emily. Just a trial baloon that resulted from a committee meeting this eventing. Out west, they are having an Eventing Derby at a few H-J shows in an effort to promote the sport to that crowd. There has been some interest from the "high performance hunter" side--that's a new hunter program designed to put more "oomph" into what has been referred to as the "profressional" divisons: the 3'6" through 4' working hunters. In h-j land, this new thrust aims to make those courses more challenging by including more natural obstacles such as gates, walls and brush (plus more riding-off-your-eye tracks to get away from counting strides).

Basically, their goal is one of getting back to what foxhunters were originally: horses comfortable to ride at a decent pace over varied terrain and natural obstacles. That said, you can see why a potential relationship between such new classes and eventing has arisen. In a discussion after this came up, I proposed getting eventers to enter as well to promote the idea that event horses are all-round talents who can also show the style and sophistication necessary for hunters. A sort of "show, don't tell" thing to illustrate the fun and fundamental solidity (not the yahoo daredevilishness) of the sport.

Upstage is the horse I used as an example. I've always felt each time he has loped around Rolex, he has stepped over jumps with the kind of style and rhythm that would make a four-foot horse (hunter) weap with envy!

Flintridge Riding Club, which is where I think they're doing some of these, is the ideal setting for it, with a long tradition of hunters and an outside course that I believe was used and designed originally for hunters, not actually for eventing, though it's been co-opted for eventing as the outside course classes that were traditionally part of the Children's Services show went away.

I understand Gina Miles and Brian Sabo are doing a high profile eventing demo there this Saturday.

Also, back when he wrote for the Horse Journal, Michael Plumb wrote a couple of editorials urging eventers to cross-train in the hunter ring (not in jumpers, but specifically hunters). I don't know how much success he and his students had, but the point was perhaps more in the effort than the prizes.

flutie1
Mar. 19, 2008, 03:14 PM
The eventer Bold Minstrel, ridden by Michael Plumb in the Tokyo Olympics then competed as a hunter before moving on to the show jumping team where he competed with Bill Steinkraus and set a puissance record of 7'3".

And I believe was conformation champion at the Garden.

Flutie

Fred
Mar. 19, 2008, 04:38 PM

That is incredible! does anyone have a picture of him?

flutie1
Mar. 19, 2008, 04:57 PM
Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that LaFreda Williams started this horse. I'm sure she has pictures. Reach her through the Carolina Horse Park.

Flutie

pwynnnorman
Mar. 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
OK, since someone else mentioned the names, it was what Brian is working on that I floated the trial baloon about. The first thing I thought of when I heard someone into high performance hunters had interest in Brian's project was, "Wow, wouldn't having event horses alongside hunters and all in one ring be a great way to show that the sport can produce an equally sophisticated ride (to combat the "yahoo" reputation hunterland likes to tag it with--and encourage those bored with hunters to consider eventing)?"

IfWishesWereHorses
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
Except that NZ hunters aren't like US hunters at all. Different sport entirely, I believe. US hunters (and how they are judged) are pretty unique in the world. (Presented as sort of a "devil's advocate" response--what hunter folk might think, for example.)

Not true...Actually I think you probably are presuming that we do round the ring hunters, like what they do in the UK. (ie more of a field hunter sort of cllass where they gallop round the ring over natural obstacles??)

Yes, thats true, we do have some of those classes, however all the horses I have named are Show Hunters, showing under USA type classes. Show hunter in NZ is huge now, as is equitation classes. Its all about style, technique, and rhythm, plus of course perfect fly changes and perfect spots to the fence.

Show hunter in NZ is relatively new, (maybe 10yrs old) but it is definitely judged in the same manner as US hunters. Dale Pederson is a huge influence down here and is a prominent judge (I think he's from CA??)

Ive been to some big hunter shows in the US and they certainly are the same as what we do in NZ and judged in the same manner.

yellowbritches
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:15 PM
I have Bill Steinkraus' book (of course, at the barn), that has at least one good picture of Bold Minstrel. None with Mike Plumb, though the boss has a few books with old Team pictures in them, so he might be in one of those. If I remember, I'll scan some pictures to share.

He was a good looking horse, that's for sure!

Janet
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
I thought it was the other way round- hunter then eventer then show jumper.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think Buzz Lightyear ended up a dressage horse-- I rode him briefly after his eventing career had ended in unfortunately spectacular fashion and he wasn't exactly keen about the jumps anymore--even the teeny little ones and the colored poles that fall down. :no: Lovely ride on the flat though. I always admired the way Linden dealt with what had to be a big dissapointment--she was committed to seeing him well-placed in the proper home. She's always a class act.

Hubby talked to Julie when Treaty first made the switch and at that time he was being competed, sold, and marekted as a small junior hunter. What he ended up doing and what's he's doing now I couldn't guess.

flutie1
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have Bill Steinkraus' book (of course, at the barn), that has at least one good picture of Bold Minstrel. None with Mike Plumb, though the boss has a few books with old Team pictures in them, so he might be in one of those. If I remember, I'll scan some pictures to share.

He was a good looking horse, that's for sure!

I think Bill Haggard rode him for the team, not Mike.

Spoilsport
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Here is more on Bold Minstrel (Billy Haggard's obit):

http://www.equisearch.com/equiwire_news/usef_mourns_010904/

Haggard was best known for his success aboard Bold Minstrel, the only horse ever to represent the United States at the World Championship level in two different disciplines. Early on, Haggard rode Bold Minstrel in the hunter ring at many shows, earning the Reserve Championship in the conformation division at the National Horse Show.

After changing disciplines, Haggard rode Bold Minstrel in two consecutive Pan American Games, earning the eventing team Silver Medal in 1959 and the team Gold in 1963. In 1964, he loaned Bold Minstrel to fellow eventer Mike Plumb who piloted him to the team Silver Medal in the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

Later on, under Haggard's ownership, the wonderfully versatile Bold Minstrel began to train in show jumping with William Steinkraus in the saddle. Steinkraus and Bold Minstrel went on to win the team Silver in the 1967 Pan American Games in Winnipeg. The pair competed in the show jumping World Championships in 1970, rode on several winning Nation's Cup teams, and had numerous puissance wins at many shows, including the National Horse Show in Madison Square Garden.

He was a Bold Ruler baby :winkgrin:

pwynnnorman
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:41 PM
Not true...Actually I think you probably are presuming that we do round the ring hunters, like what they do in the UK. (ie more of a field hunter sort of cllass where they gallop round the ring over natural obstacles??)

Cool. I stand corrected. Do y'all do pony hunters, too? I think I got a newsletter from a sport pony association down there, but I might be getting confused with the Aussies. (You must hate that! :yes:).

IfWishesWereHorses
Mar. 20, 2008, 03:36 AM
Cool. I stand corrected. Do y'all do pony hunters, too? I think I got a newsletter from a sport pony association down there, but I might be getting confused with the Aussies. (You must hate that! :yes:).

We surely do ;-) We have Category A, B and C, which relates to the size of the ponies.
SH is huge down here now, its a really big discipline.

We just had our Horse of the Year show two weeks ago, and the HOY title for Open Horse Show Hunter of the Year, went to a phenominal young rider on her lovely self produced horse...she'd been working at winning the title for it for years...and guess who she beat? Mark todd! He was in 2nd place.

Sadly and tragically, Denise died in her sleep the next night.....she achieved her one goal in life, and only had 24 hours to live the dream then passed away in her sleep with no apparant cause of death. Horrifically tragic and only 34yrs of age.

At the lower level hunters down here, they are so far off the US type that its not even close. The riders tend to have them more in a dressage frame than a longer hunter type frame, and they go way too fast - speedy gonzales! But the upper level horses and riders are pretty class acts.

Fred
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:18 AM
Wishes, that is very sad about the young woman's death. I'm very sorry.

Thank you for the further details about Bold Minstrel. What a great horse.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:20 AM
Sadly and tragically, Denise died in her sleep the next night.....she achieved her one goal in life, and only had 24 hours to live the dream then passed away in her sleep with no apparant cause of death. Horrifically tragic and only 34yrs of age.

OMG, how terribly sad. Carpe Diem, folks.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
Didn't Bruce Davidson's little stallion Lion King get gelded and turn into a hunter some years ago?

Yes, and he's phenomenal. At home Tip lives across the aisle from the Lion.

Also, hasn't A fine Romance done a bit of everything?

Yep! And so have his babies.

He was never quite right, after that. xctrygirl got to ride him for a summer and ended up taking him to Local finals at WIHS!!!! He's a super cool horse and I couldn't have wished for a better person to have him!

What do you mean, he wasn't quite right? You mean in the head? Well, with some of the things he's eaten... :lol:

Tip has gone on to be a very quality jumper with a not so quality rider :lol:. I did the big eqs with him, and he went as well as I rode him and we were consistently in the ribbons with what we did, as well as qualifying for the state medal finals.

If I could afford to enter him in the high-performance hunter classics, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He will not win a hunter class over 3', and while he jumps cute as a button he's not going to win in high-caliber 3'6" hunters either. But when he really cracks his back and uses himself at 4', he's SO darn cute, and he loves those outside courses. That would be his niche. I'm going to do him in the hunters a bit this summer and I expect him to do all right if I can find eight fences.

Elizabeth Callahan no longer owns Lantana, my cousin bought him a few years ago. Lantana started out in the Eq before moving to the jumpers. My cousin owns him, and I believe he is currently for sale because she is going to college in the fall.

Elizabeth Webb's Lantana? He used to be in the same barn as Lion King and Tip. He is SO cool.

poltroon
Mar. 20, 2008, 03:32 PM
OK, since someone else mentioned the names, it was what Brian is working on that I floated the trial baloon about. The first thing I thought of when I heard someone into high performance hunters had interest in Brian's project was, "Wow, wouldn't having event horses alongside hunters and all in one ring be a great way to show that the sport can produce an equally sophisticated ride (to combat the "yahoo" reputation hunterland likes to tag it with--and encourage those bored with hunters to consider eventing)?"

When Brian Sabo was doing his monthly clinics all over California, I know he had pure dressage riders and hunter riders coming to him for lessons as well as event riders, so he's in a great place to help bring disciplines together. It seems like a great project.

TwoStar3Day
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:42 AM
I had a wonderful event horse who won dressage every time. After a bizarre field accident in which he fractured his skull and compressed four vertebrae in his neck (smashed headfirst into a stone wall running around in a huge field), I retired him from eventing (on the advice of surgeons at Morven). Was not right to compress him anymore or risking pain over the big jumps. We turned to hunters, low hunters, (my first time) and trained with Peter Foley for over a year. It was too much fun. Peter was wonderful and very compassionate towards my horse. When he got on him and rode him for me my heart would stop. So wonderful to watch. Beautiful.

On another note, has Greg Best had any hunter influence in NZ, or is he strictly jumpers?

SteeleRdr
Mar. 21, 2008, 11:24 AM
Elizabeth Webb's Lantana? He used to be in the same barn as Lion King and Tip. He is SO cool.

Yup.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
No kidding! Once you said that, I remembered talking to Elizabeth when we were trail riding and she had mentioned that he used to event- he went Advanced, right? I love Lantana- not only is he fun to watch, but he's a sweetheart in the barn too.

eventrider
Mar. 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
Is Elizabeth Webb/ Elizabeth Callahan the same Elizabeth Callahan that trains race horses and now hunter ponies? She has horses at Charlestown?
If so, she is a friend and I would love to ask her about Lantana!

Thanks!

Xctrygirl
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
What do you mean, he wasn't quite right? You mean in the head? Well, with some of the things he's eaten... :lol:

Hey now... he stole my nacho Doritos at Culpeper!!! I didn't feed them to him!!! ;)

And hell after surviving a truck fire on the way down and standing alongside rt 15 for 3 hours plus... I'd have fed him my purse, clothes and dog if he had wanted!!!

Still was Reserve Champ that weekend or something. I forget.

Tipperoo (as I lovingly called him) was and always will be a saint.

He took me to the MCI center for Washington International and even did well during the 3 am (yes really) ring schooling time.

It was cool as hell and he and I had a blast despite my poor ride. 3rd place was still great!!

And as far as XC goes, I did get him to jump 2 successive jumps in a row without a panic attack spent looking for rabid Jack Russels!!! :lol:

~Emily

allicolls Aefvue Farms Deep South
Mar. 22, 2008, 01:04 AM
A barnmate of mine bought an Appendix QH who had evented (not sure how high) through his 10yo year. Last summer they won the AQHA Youth World Championship in Equitation Over Fences, and have been very successful in junior hunters, jumpers and eq on the A circuit. He is a brave, wise soul who will jump anything, and has been such fun to watch grow into a beautiful hunter/jumper/eq horse, once he developed reliable brakes!

Renn/aissance
Mar. 22, 2008, 01:07 AM
Yep, the horse is a certified saint. He is a GOOD, GOOD boy.

I've been doing some cross-country schooling with him. We've taken it slow and we don't do anything too crazy because I'm a chicken but he's gotten a lot calmer (almost kicking quiet out there the other day) and he waits, and when I say "OK, you need to come back now" he says "OK" and he doesn't charge at the fences. And today he tried to lick a Jack Russell. Then the JRT licked him back and that was a bit scary, but he could still try to chew the dog, so it was OK.

And it doesn't surprise me about the Doritos. He has stolen so much food from people... the kids at pony camp several years ago were feeding him everything to see what he'd finally turn down. The horse ate McDonalds. He ate salami. He ate Chik-Fil-A. He ate turkey sandwiches. He ate plastic, but I'm assured that that was by accident. He ate peanut brittle and a Hershey's bar and a banana with the peel and half a bag of sour cream and onion chips. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out that the kids were doing this, but since he was so happily eating everything, they were blissfully unaware that there could be problems. Tip was really disappointed when I forbade lunch-eating near his stall. :lol:

Back on topic- my horse John, may he rest in peace, evented at BN and Novice for a few years (limited not by his scope but by the rider, whom I understand was easy to police.) He was with me a very successful hunter trials horse- think firsts and seconds in classes of 30some- and held his own when we tried to qualify for WIHS local day. If he hadn't been neurotic he would have been a better hunter, and I suspect that was part of the reason his rider couldn't stay in the tack (he had a mean spookshyturn180degreesin2seconds) running cross country, but he was still quite a quality horse.

Auburn
Mar. 22, 2008, 09:17 AM
Mrs. R. N. Whitehurst (Peg), who was my Pony Club DC, had a horse called Mock Orange ("Pumpkin") that she rode at Training and Prelim, who could go in the Working Hunter Divisions at the Tuscaloosa Charity Horse Show (which was an A rated show) and win.

I believe that Pat Thuss had a horse that could do both, too, though I can't remember it's name.

Unfortunately, my 14.3h Morab event horse just wasn't suited to do hunters, though we did try. LOL! :winkgrin: