Invested1
Mar. 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
Opens tomorrow! yay!!

Who's going??

LexInVA
Mar. 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
Opens tomorrow! yay!!

Who's going??

From your enthusiasm, I'd have to say you're definitely going. :lol: I might be a spectator depending on what I have planned for that weekend down the line and how the weather is going to be.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 17, 2008, 07:19 PM
ME ME!! Going OT--I was thinking of bumping up to P, but it's a little early in the year, considering I only have Morven before it (if I even get to run X-country there :sigh: thanks Mother Nature), but I definitely plan to do P there in August :D

And I have a student who will be doing her first ever recognized (Her first *ever* HT will be Foxcroft next month ;)); one who is bumping up to Novice; and one who is doing Training...:)

Ishi
Mar. 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
We'll have a few going. Hopefully it will be my last Prelim with my horse, then a FANCY 4 year old making her eventing debut, maybe another baby, and my youngster at Novice. That's about all I can deal with, and I think it's time to get a bigger trailer!

yellowbritches
Mar. 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
I think I'll at least be there, but I don't know if I'll actually be riding there. I'm still on a holding pattern with little mare's family on whether I should be entering events (she'll be at Foxcroft, but they are hesitant to enter rec. stuff right now....economy :mad:), and Paco isn't being entered anywhere until I am 100% sure he is ready. But at least I'll be there, I think....

MommaMare
Mar. 17, 2008, 08:46 PM
Me, probably, with several students in tow! I won't be riding, though... takin' it easy while my "foal" is cooking.:yes:

octavian_jazz
Mar. 17, 2008, 08:50 PM
I think I might be there going prelim. I'm planning on it as of now.

eventer15
Mar. 17, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'll be going BN with the new guy!!!

Catalina
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yikes, it opens today?!?!? I want to go but I am not sure if I am going BN or Novice, seeing as how I have never even done a XC school on my beastie. Can I just enter BN and then change to Novice later if I feel we are ready?

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yikes, it opens today?!?!? I want to go but I am not sure if I am going BN or Novice, seeing as how I have never even done a XC school on my beastie. Can I just enter BN and then change to Novice later if I feel we are ready?

Yes, as long as it's before the closing date (after the closing date, there's a fee for changes...) You may want to give Steve S a heads-up via e-mail, though ;))

Invested1
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:11 PM
From your enthusiasm, I'd have to say you're definitely going. :lol:

heh, yes. Walking to the post office in a few minutes to mail my entry. TR, here we come!! :D

artienallie
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
CRAP! I forgot. Need to dash off an entry tomorrow. Big ol BN for the mare and me. With a possible shift over to Novice, if Foxcroft goes well...

eventingcpa
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'll be there, making the move up to Novice, just sent my entry in today!

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:04 PM
Argh, the Princess was *a bit of a naughty girl* :rolleyes: (spooky, "gratuitously innattentive", and attempting to ignore me--she wasn't "scarily horrible", just not as rideable as she usually is X-country. I had wanted to do more; as it was, we did a good bit of T and some P stuff in the main field and woods, but didn't venture beyond that. I had to start out over BN and N stuff--just trotting back and forth over it to *get her attention on me* until she chilled her jets a bit...:sigh:)

I think it's just been WAY TOO long since our last X-country "outing" (Rubicon last November :p), and she is the kind of horse who *needs* more regular schoolings. (It's been a LOONG winter!) I plan to go out there again on Sunday and try to do a little more (providing we don't get too much rain between now and then--the footing was actually pretty good today, all things considered! There were very few spots where the ground was muddy and slick--it was mostly just *soft*...I know Sunday is Easter, but as the DH says about me, "What do you care? You're a god***m Heathen!" :D I'm hoping that there are a goodly number of "non Heathens" in the immediate vicinity--maybe it will "thin out the crowds" over there :p)

It looks like maybe Saturday we will get some rain?? I hope not, both for the sakes of those who are schooling at FP, and for the sake of the ground (which will have to absorb more tomorrow :() I have a schooling set up for a couple students at Foxcroft on Sat., but at least that's at the top of a hill! ;)

Artienallie, that's great that you entered (and may bump up to Novice--like Catalina! :))

I'm thinking that we should try to do another cookout thing on Friday night (after the course walk) for anyone who's interested...the hubby grills yummy burgers, and there's always plenty of beer--and good company (and of course "loud cackling" if I'm around :D)

I never seem to be able to officially meet many COTHers during the HT competition itself; I think people are just too busy and distracted!

If we can get something organized closer to the date of the HT, who would be interested??
(Invested, you simply *must* participate in this--we keep missing you! :lol:)

CamsMom
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:16 PM
We may try and get a schooling in on Sunday as well with the two my daughter will take BN. We decided to do a BN with Cam and then move up to Novice at Rubicon. It will be the first time Sky competes two on the same day so I'm hoping we have at least some time between them.

Sky had some medical issues over the winter (protruded disk in her lower back and what turned out to be BAD reflux) so Cam had a nice long break and is raring to go!

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
We may try and get a schooling in on Sunday as well with the two my daughter will take BN. We decided to do a BN with Cam and then move up to Novice at Rubicon. It will be the first time Sky competes two on the same day so I'm hoping we have at least some time between them.

Sky had some medical issues over the winter (protruded disk in her lower back and what turned out to be BAD reflux) so Cam had a nice long break and is raring to go!

It sounds like you will have a busy day! Luckily Steve S is *very* accomodating, bless the man! :)

As for her medical problems, ouch! Now that she's healthy, I'm sure she is *more* than ready to get back out there! :D

Bonheur
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:41 PM
I am going to the Difficult Run Horse Trials. Hopefully the footing gets better. Because i was at FPP today also and it is a mud pit in spots. but it has been quite a long winter. so maybe we will get some dry weather so that all of this mud can go away :)

From
Mikayla

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
:D

Welcome, Bonheur (AKA Mikayla ;))

I hope to see you at the barn this week, and glad to hear that the clinic went well :)

S4zeus
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:52 PM
I will most likely be around to spectate and lend a hand where ever needed. Zeus will hopefully be up and running late May or June. My vet friend has me on quite the fitness schedule and come hell or high water we should be going Prelim in the fall.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hey, S4Zeus!!

Good to hear from you! :) (I was just thinking about you when posting on this thread...)

So how *is* the big guy?? Obviously recovering, from what you say (thank goodness! :yes:) Updates??

Invested1
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
If we can get something organized closer to the date of the HT, who would be interested??
(Invested, you simply *must* participate in this--we keep missing you! :lol:)

:lol: I just penciled it in on my calendar! :D Just tell me a time and what to bring.

Hoping they're wrong on the weather report for this weekend--I'm planning on getting out to school on Saturday....

Lori B
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:59 AM
Dr. Doolittle, my new favorite description of naughty equine behavior is "gratuitously inattentive". LOL. Gawdalmighty, have I seen some gratuitous inattention. Hee hee.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yay, Invested! :D (And this time, I trust that NO ONE will schedule a last-minute wedding that you will be compelled to attend...:p We will probably do a little get-together on Friday late afternoon early evening after the course walk--5 or 6ish in the picnic area...)

Lori B: :lol:

Glad you liked it; it certainly describes my Hypervigilant Drama Queen to a tee (and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in dealing with this :winkgrin:)

Bonheur
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:09 PM
Oh yes hello Lee :)
yes the clinic went very well. Gigi is a great instructor. Sometimes you need a little kick in the butt.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
From
Mikayla

S4zeus
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hey, S4Zeus!!

Good to hear from you! :) (I was just thinking about you when posting on this thread...)

So how *is* the big guy?? Obviously recovering, from what you say (thank goodness! :yes:) Updates??

He is doing quite well thank you for asking. We are hacking and starting trot sets, we have done one hunter show, Fox Chase a couple of weeks ago where he was Reserve Champ in the 3' Working Hunters. If I can get my schedule together I will start hauling out for dressage lessons soon. He is doing well. He is fairly fit and we are just aiming to see how fit we can get him.

How is the princess? Too bad for the rain we got today. The ground sure is soft, even though they claim we are still in a "drought".

regeventer
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:30 PM
I am putting my entry in tomorrow - at N - again :sadsmile::sadsmile:

I am on the cusp of moving up, but after this past weekend I am in no hurry at all.

Does anyone have a feeling for the DRPC XC as a first time training outing?????? I have schooled the trakehner on Loch Moy's schooling course with no difficulty, so the only thing that really gives me pause is the Irish bank.

So what's up with the Friday night party???:winkgrin:

regeventer

yellowbritches
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:01 PM
I like DRPC as a move up for I think just about any level. I did my first training there and enjoyed myself. Thing to remember about the Irish bank...ATTACK! It is a TRUE cross country question requiring BOLD riding! I learned this the hard way...did my second prelim there and rode a little passively. Horse popped quietly up the bank, as he'd done forever, but didn't quite know what to do at the top. We toddled at the log for a second, then slithered over and finished the rest of the question no problem. Had I attacked it, he would've just popped up then over the log no prob. Nice at training, though, no log, just up and slither down the other side.

Invested1
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
I did my first training there and enjoyed myself.
Ditto! :D

Thing to remember about the Irish bank...ATTACK! It is a TRUE cross country question requiring BOLD riding!

Totally agree! The Irish bank was the first (and maybe only time) I've yelled at my horse to "GET UP!!" We had never done anything like it before and I felt him start wiggling because he wasn't quite sure what to do. When I yelled at him, he knew I meant it and went--he got a BIG GOOD BOY after that!! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
He is doing quite well thank you for asking. We are hacking and starting trot sets, we have done one hunter show, Fox Chase a couple of weeks ago where he was Reserve Champ in the 3' Working Hunters. If I can get my schedule together I will start hauling out for dressage lessons soon. He is doing well. He is fairly fit and we are just aiming to see how fit we can get him.

How is the princess? Too bad for the rain we got today. The ground sure is soft, even though they claim we are still in a "drought".

That's great! :)

So nice to hear that he is fully recovered and "back in action" ;)

The Princess has been doing well, thanks for asking--we did some jumper shows, one dressage schooling show, and a CT over the winter...she feels great (and should have no problem with bumping up to Prelim at some point this year :)), but was rather "fresh and spooky" :rolleyes: during our first X-country school of the year a few days ago (CLEARLY she needs to "get out more"; she hadn't done any cross country since Rubicon!)

I'm taking her back out to FPP on Sunday again, hoping to "chill her jets" a bit before Morven at the end of the month! :p

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:48 AM
I am putting my entry in tomorrow - at N - again :sadsmile::sadsmile:

I am on the cusp of moving up, but after this past weekend I am in no hurry at all.

Does anyone have a feeling for the DRPC XC as a first time training outing?????? I have schooled the trakehner on Loch Moy's schooling course with no difficulty, so the only thing that really gives me pause is the Irish bank.

So what's up with the Friday night party???:winkgrin:

regeventer

regeventer: I'm "tentatively planning" a little cookout on Friday night (after the coursewalk)for anyone who wants to attend/drop by--COTHers are most welcome! :D I would love to meet some of those who I know *only* from the board--and have yet to "meet in person" ;)

(Just follow the sound of the loud cackling, and you'lle find me :lol:)

As for the Training course, with the exception of the Irish Bank, it's pretty straightforward (as yellowbritches said, a good move-up course; luckily the time is pretty forgiving, because it's not an "open gallopy" kind of course--you have to make up time in the corn and cow fields after the winding turns that comprise the first third or so of the course)...the Irish bank is a little daunting for horses unfamiliar with such thngs, but that's it's mainly because of the ramp jump 2-3 strides in front of it; horses new to the level may go "WTF?!?" :confused: (my mare did that the first time through--she jumped the ramp and then went ????, and stopped at the bank...Her *only* stop in 3 years! I got her over it the second time, and she has cruised through the whole complex twice siince then without a peek, but keep that in mind when you approach it for the first time, and as the other posters have said, be sure to "ride assertively" to it ;))

S4zeus
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
Sunday, you are going out on Easter! lol. I hope the ground is nice for you. The wind today is trying its damndest to try things back out.

Have fun this weekend! I am sure I will see you sooner rather than later at an event coming up!

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, I'm an "irreverent Heathen" :D

(I'm hoping that the holiday will "thin the crowds" a bit, though there are *always* the omnipresent "stroller pushers", bike riders, joggers, and dog walkers--who are plentiful on the weekends whenever the weather is half decent...It is a public park, after all :sigh:)

When is your first HT with Zeus, at least tentatively? VAHT again at Training, perhaps? (Erin--my student with the grey Connemara mare--and I are planning on going down there together; I'm really looking forward to it! :))

S4zeus
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:01 PM
VA HT last year proved to be very expensive. although it was worth it in the end. I was thinking I will probably wait until Rubicon. I just recently peaked at the calender. And I got the email from USEA letting me know it was time to renew.

Invested1
Apr. 21, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just bumping for fun. :D

LexInVA
Apr. 21, 2008, 04:47 PM

Nothing wrong with that. :winkgrin:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 21, 2008, 06:44 PM

Yes, good idea; it's coming up in less than two weeks! (I'm figuring that Steve might have the times ready even earlier than usual, since he's going to Rolex...;))

So how is Tedi????

octavian_jazz
Apr. 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that I get in. I (stupidly) sent in my entry a bit late, and am now entry #250 when the max is 235. :no: I don't know, it is preliminary, and there don't seem to be that many P entries, so I am keeping my fingers crossed...

thumbsontop
Apr. 21, 2008, 08:10 PM
My daughter got a great last minute XC schooling in last weekend and will be doing BN just fine I think. It was "llama club" day...thankfully we didn't have the green TB with us! Funny to watch the owners lead them over the training level jumps!

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
My daughter got a great last minute XC schooling in last weekend and will be doing BN just fine I think. It was "llama club" day...thankfully we didn't have the green TB with us! Funny to watch the owners lead them over the training level jumps!

That's hilarious! :lol:

Wish I could have been there to see that...

octavianjazz--you may yet get in--my student who is going Training entered late, too; her name is on the entry list that he posted on the website, even though Steve told her that she was #245--and on the wait list. He usually gets a goodly number of last-minute scratches, though, so unless you entered the "oversubscribed BN division" :p, I would say you have a reasonably good chance of getting in. And yeah, even better, there don't seem to be a lot of Prelim entries this time around! ;))

Good luck, and fingers crossed that you squeak in :)

eventmom
Apr. 21, 2008, 09:58 PM
So, I guess things are not looking real good for my kid going b/n. She is # 15 on the b/n wait list. (or at least she was last week). :( We were trying to change our focus to her new horse. But alas, horse has lameness issues. She sure would like to get in.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
Don't give up hope, eventmom--one never knows...;)

Invested1
Apr. 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
Nothing wrong with that. :winkgrin:

Methinks you took that in a way that was unintended. :lol:

Invested1
Apr. 22, 2008, 09:53 AM
So how is Tedi????

**POUNDING ON WOOD**
He was MUCH better on Sunday--am thinking maybe he just took a misstep in bad footing and stung himself.
I buted him for a couple nights and gave him til today off.
Will tack up tonight and see how he is.
Fingers crossed!!!!
And thanks for asking. :D

Catalina
Apr. 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
Since we got rained out for our BN debut at Redlands, it looks like DRPC is going to be our big debut. Connor's former owner is going to be there- no pressure :eek:.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
Don't worry, Catalina--I'm sure you'lle be fine! :)

You and Invested are sort of in the same boat; both looking to get a chance to compete at your first HT of the year!

Invested--please keep us posted on the Ted Man :yes: (Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious, and that you'lle be back in action soon. :))

Invested1
Apr. 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
Invested--please keep us posted on the Ted Man :yes: (Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious, and that you'lle be back in action soon. :))

Lame, lame, totally lame. :sigh:

Still no heat, no swelling, no sensitivity, no reaction to hoof testers. Though his digital pulse *seems* to be stronger in his lame leg.
I'm wrapping his foot and doing all the "pre-abscessy" stuff, so if there's one a'brewin', hopefully it'll pop REALLY soon....
Will check him again tonight.

Think I will literally cry if I have to scratch from DRHT too..... :cry:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 23, 2008, 09:47 AM
ARGH! :sigh:

Dang, woman--you and the boy just can't seem to catch a break lately!

Jingling and crossing fingers for you; please give us (hopefully positive) news when you have any...

Invested1
Apr. 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
ARGH! :sigh:

Dang, woman--you and the boy just can't seem to catch a break lately!

Jingling and crossing fingers for you; please give us (hopefully positive) news when you have any...

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about going to DRHT.....

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 24, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well, it's still 9 days away; things could be looking up in a few days, in which case you would be fine to go...

Please post on how he's doing...:sigh:

(Major good luck vibes coming your way!)

Invested1
Apr. 24, 2008, 04:23 PM
Well, it's still 9 days away; things could be looking up in a few days, in which case you would be fine to go...

Please post on how he's doing...:sigh:

(Major good luck vibes coming your way!)

Thanks--we need it! :yes:

He seemed sound last night (*maybe* VERY slightly off if I looked really hard) and his digital pulse was tough to find. Hummm.
Though here's the write-up I sent to a friend this morning:

So my night last night:
First off, Ted looks MUCH better! I'm still wrapping his toe with ickymol (:D) and keeping him in the (dry) paddock for a couple more days instead of the wet, muddy fields and will be better about putting hoof hardener on his soles. I am "cautiously optimistic" about DRHT.

So, off to soak his foot last night just in case it is an abscess a'brewin. Now, I've tried this in the past and know that he will not, under any circumstances, put and leave his foot in a bucket. So I did a little reading online trying to find other methods. Found one! Take a big ziplock baggie, pour the warm water/salt mix in and ducttape the top on. Easy peasy.

I put Ted in crossties and started my babysteps. First the baggie with an "OH, you're so good!! Good boy, here's a carrot!" followed by just a little bit of water and a "OH, you're so brave!!" Slowly I poured the rest of the water in and ducttaped the top. Tedi just stood there thinking about it. "Ohhhh, GOOOD BOY!!!"

Then, out of NOWHERE, idiot decides, "OMG, there's a bag on my foot!!! I gotta get OUTTA HERE!!!" So he pulls back, snaps the cross ties (and his halter) and takes off at a clip down the aisle and out of the barn because HOLY CRAP, THE BAG IS CHASING ME!!!! :eek:

As he exits the barn, I think, ok, he'll run into his pasture. Nope, moron takes a left! Rut roh. So I grab a lead rope and go chasing him. Thankfully he found grass and stopped; though of course his route was over these big rocks by my trailer (hope he didn't pull a muscle!!).

So I grab him, walk him back and wrap his foot in his stall (what a pain!). Gave him a little more bute, just in case, and will re-check him on Friday. *sigh*

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yoiks! :eek:

He certainly isn't being a very cooperative patient :lol: (Though surely, with the local COTH community pulling for him, he will recover in spite of himself, and be ready for DRHT--besides, I have a cold Corona with your name on it ;))

artienallie
Apr. 25, 2008, 09:27 AM
So, off to soak his foot last night just in case it is an abscess a'brewin. Now, I've tried this in the past and know that he will not, under any circumstances, put and leave his foot in a bucket. So I did a little reading online trying to find other methods. Found one! Take a big ziplock baggie, pour the warm water/salt mix in and ducttape the top on. Easy peasy.

I put Ted in crossties and started my babysteps. First the baggie with an "OH, you're so good!! Good boy, here's a carrot!" followed by just a little bit of water and a "OH, you're so brave!!" Slowly I poured the rest of the water in and ducttaped the top. Tedi just stood there thinking about it. "Ohhhh, GOOOD BOY!!!"

Then, out of NOWHERE, idiot decides, "OMG, there's a bag on my foot!!! I gotta get OUTTA HERE!!!" So he pulls back, snaps the cross ties (and his halter) and takes off at a clip down the aisle and out of the barn because HOLY CRAP, THE BAG IS CHASING ME!!!! :eek:

Considering the number of times you have to soak some toes - you may want to consider this:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=2004&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true

It doesn't rattle like a plastic bag, making it much more equine friendly!

Invested1
Apr. 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
From a friend of mine, Joe:

"To All,

This may sound a bit ‘corny’ but to show solidarity with the owner and riders who lost their eventing partners at Rolex and at Tallahassee recently, let’s all tie a yellow ribbon on our tack this weekend when we compete in their memory and also for the two riders who lost their lives overseas as well as Laine Askher and Darren Chiacchia who are recovering from their serious injuries sustained in their recent falls.

If you think this is a good idea and a fitting tribute, pass it along to everyone you know who events – It would be nice to see yellow ribbons on everyone’s tack at DRHT this weekend and at all other events and horse trials this season at all levels…"

IF I compete this weekend (FINGERS STILL REALLY CROSSED!!!!!!!!!), I'll take part....

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 29, 2008, 10:20 AM
I would be willing to do that--where does one find an appropriate yellow ribbon?

Also, what's the progress report on Tedi?? Improving? Sound? Rideable, might we hope??

Invested1
Apr. 29, 2008, 10:37 AM
I would be willing to do that--where does one find an appropriate yellow ribbon?

Also, what's the progress report on Tedi?? Improving? Sound? Rideable, might we hope??

Hummm, that's a good question about where to get the ribbon--I don't know the answer. Though I'm sure anything "close" would still get the point across. :D

I'll have more of an update on Ted after tonight.
On Sunday, I threw him in the indoor and he looked fine so I tacked up. Went out to the outdoor and he felt fine warming up on straight aways and on 20 meter circles. Then I decided to try a smaller circle and MAN did he bob!! :eek: :sigh:

Still no heat, no swelling, no sensitivity, no nada, so the vet is scheduled to come out Thursday morning.....

Will let you know how he looks tonight.
I haven't *totally* given up hope for this weekend but we'll see what reality has to say. :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
Invested, based on your "post in triplicate", you must be having the same problem that I'm having with the board being sticky and slow! :p

Be sure to post an update on Thursday!

Invested1
Apr. 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
Invested, based on your "post in triplicate", you must be having the same problem that I'm having with the board being sticky and slow! :p

Be sure to post an update on Thursday!

:lol:--I just saw that too! Weird!! I deleted the...spares. :winkgrin:

I'll update tomorrow with my uneducated opinion. :D

LexInVA
Apr. 29, 2008, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking armbands would be better than ribbons. Unless you're gonna actually tie the ribbon to your tack, which will probably result in a shredded ribbon by the end of the day, it's gonna come off pretty quickly. I'll poke around the craft store and see what I can find when I go out for Subway in a bit.

Invested1
Apr. 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
Someone had the idea to use blue instead of yellow (as yellow is already used).
Yes?

steves
Apr. 29, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have posted tenetative times on the website. http://drpc.ponyclub.org/timesinfoht.htm .
Although tentative I don't imagine I will change them but I would encourage you to check back. For those riding BN, you may have VERY long wait times between Dressage and jumping. It was either that or put a large number of you on a Wait List.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 29, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Steve! :)

(And eventmom's daughter made it in...:D)

Now I need to try to get a rough headcount as to who will be stopping by for a burger and a beer after walking the course on Friday night, so the DH can lay in supplies...;)

Invested1
Apr. 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
Alright Jumper_Dad,
Since this is your AWESOME idea, we go with your color.
Ok folks, yellow/gold it is! :D

thumbsontop
Apr. 29, 2008, 07:19 PM
Will be wearing the ribbon...and I should have enough to bring extra...if you see the ugliest silver and light blue trailet ever on Saturday that would be us... :lol: (Yes, easy to find among the sea of Sundowners!)

CamsMom
Apr. 29, 2008, 09:10 PM
Unless our times are changed drastically, its going to be a very long day saturday. We have two horses going BN, with the first having dressage at 10:30 and doesn't do stadium until after 4. The second horse doesn't have dressage until 11:21 and stadium at 6:20. And it's supposed to RAIN. Oh joy.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 29, 2008, 10:45 PM
:lol:

Camsmom, don't feel so bad: I will have to be there at 7:00 something to prepare for my own dressage ride--and then have 3 students to coach, the last of whom doesn't ride her X-country until 5 something! :p (Thank goodness I have a stall--and a helpful DH! :yes:)

I think Steve S was simply trying to fit in all the BN riders who entered--which makes for a long day, but the alternative is the late enterers wouldn't get a chance to ride...

Yeesh, as for the forecast, let's just hope the rain is light (and consists merely of "passing showers")--*that* we should all be able to handle, especially since two of the phases are on footing, and the X-country has bluestone liberally applied to jump takeoffs/landings; plus, at least it won't be cold, so just be sure to bring raingear and plenty of towels! ;)

Anyone who is interested is welcome to stop by and grab a beer or something to eat; we'll be grilling out at the picnic tables (between the indoor and the X-country course), and will be there from 4:00-5:00ish on and off until 7:30 or so (hubby needs to drop off child at soccer practice nearby at 5--and pick her up at 6:30--but will be there in between those, as will I *and* several of my students :)) Please come introduce yourself if you happen to be out there walking the course around that time...I will be bringing my (pretty chestnut) mare over to FP at around 3:00, and will probably be walking her around/riding her between that time and our "approximately scheduled cookout"...

Would love to meet some more COTHers! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 29, 2008, 10:54 PM
Will be wearing the ribbon...and I should have enough to bring extra...if you see the ugliest silver and light blue trailet ever on Saturday that would be us... :lol: (Yes, easy to find among the sea of Sundowners!)

thumbsontop--would you by chance be coming by FPP on Friday afternoon/evening to walk the course?? If so (and if you have extra ribbons to spare) perhaps you would be willing to share; I will be there (along with 3 students who are also competing), and we would love to participate, if possible...:yes:

thumbsontop
Apr. 30, 2008, 01:27 AM
thumbsontop--would you by chance be coming by FPP on Friday afternoon/evening to walk the course??

Probably - not positive yet. She's done DRPC HT before and schooled the course a couple of weeks ago, but taking her Friday may soften the blow when I tell her I will likely skip the dressage phase... :)

I *think* I'm going to send my DH with DD on Saturday morning for the dressage test so that I can go to my other daughter's soccer game (which I missed last weekend because of scoring at Morven). :D Her trainer will be there coaching her too so I'm not worried as much about the dressage as I am that she be ready (no running back to the trailer for gloves). But alas, she's a pony clubber. She's used to doing this by herself.

Invested1
Apr. 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
It's looking up for this weekend!!! Ted was totally sound on the lunge last night--woohooo!
I plan to hop on tonight and see how he feels--if good, we'll give it a go. Figure I'll just take it one step at a time......

Invested1
Apr. 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Anyone who is interested is welcome to stop by and grab a beer or something to eat; we'll be grilling out at the picnic tables (between the indoor and the X-country course), and will be there from 4:00-5:00ish on and off until 7:30 or so (hubby needs to drop off child at soccer practice nearby at 5--and pick her up at 6:30--but will be there in between those, as will I *and* several of my students :)) Please come introduce yourself if you happen to be out there walking the course around that time...I will be bringing my (pretty chestnut) mare over to FP at around 3:00, and will probably be walking her around/riding her between that time and our "approximately scheduled cookout"...

Would love to meet some more COTHers! :D

This is Friday, right?

Ishi
Apr. 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
I wish I could make it to the get together, but we have someone coming to try horses at 6 Friday night. What a bummer, although I sort of met Dr D in passing yesterday at the Tuesday Night Jumpers. Someday I'm going to be able to sit down and meet everyone, I can't wait!

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 09:57 AM
Probably - not positive yet. She's done DRPC HT before and schooled the course a couple of weeks ago, but taking her Friday may soften the blow when I tell her I will likely skip the dressage phase... :)

I *think* I'm going to send my DH with DD on Saturday morning for the dressage test so that I can go to my other daughter's soccer game (which I missed last weekend because of scoring at Morven). :D Her trainer will be there coaching her too so I'm not worried as much about the dressage as I am that she be ready (no running back to the trailer for gloves). But alas, she's a pony clubber. She's used to doing this by herself.

Let me know if you can come by and drop off a ribbon--if not, I may go to the fabric store myself and pick some up (though putting it together might be a bit too difficult a task for me; I am definitely "crafts challenged" :uhoh:)

:lol: I too have a daughter who plays soccer (she doesn't ride, which actually makes my life easier, ironically enough! :p) She has a game at 10:30 on Saturday, so my DH will come over and help me in the morning, then go home and take her to soccer, and then come back out to FPP.

If your DH videos your daughter's ride, would that help mitigate the guilt caused by your not being able to be there? (I still haven't mastered that "being in two places at one time", thing myself...;))

Anyway, tell her good luck--since she's a pony clubber, she will at least be thoroughly prepared, and also have no problem with that "self-sufficiency" thing ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 09:57 AM
This is Friday, right?

Yes!!

And as for Tedi....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :winkgrin:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 10:00 AM
I wish I could make it to the get together, but we have someone coming to try horses at 6 Friday night. What a bummer, although I sort of met Dr D in passing yesterday at the Tuesday Night Jumpers. Someday I'm going to be able to sit down and meet everyone, I can't wait!

Well, bummer! Maybe I'll run into you at some point this weekend, and good luck! What horse(s) are you competing?

(BTW, thanks for the insider info on you-know-who: I was wondering how she was getting along--you all are certainly miracle workers to have gotten this particular horse going as well as she apparently is! :yes:)

Ishi
Apr. 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
Dr D, I have my 5 year old going Novice, can't miss him, bay with a really large white sock behind and thinks the world of himself :D and the spectacular 4 year old filly is making her eventing debut. This filly is amazing, but all princess! Hopefully it will go well, my BF is riding the filly. Saturday I'll have a lot of down time, my horse does dressage at 8:15 and then filly doesn't start until noon, so I'll try to come find you guys. Sorry I'll miss the cookout though!

Yup, you know who is doing well, she is a challenge for sure, but we both like that and she really is a nice horse, just needs some time and a whole lotta work :lol:

Good luck to everyone, I think it should be really fun, and hopefully everyone will have a very successful weekend!

regeventer
Apr. 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
Dr. D - Unfortunately, I work until about 5:30 Friday PM and live 1 1/2 hours away from FPP, so I will miss out on beer, beer, and oh yeah I think you mentiioned burgers???:winkgrin: I am fairly new to this board and would like to meet more of you - I got to meet a couple at Loch Moy last weekend.

Who will be there on Sunday???

And what is the final decree on ribbon color/style???

Good luck everyone!

Jenn

yellow rose
Apr. 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
aaaarrrghhhhh we will be at MCTA Friday we are such losers.

y'all owe me some beer now anyway.

what day are they running cross country? i'd like to come watch at least.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey yellowrose, yeah, I *am* into you for a couple brewskies, aren't I?? :D

(Her shows are *fantastic* friendly low-key opportunities to get your horse over some nice courses--and the footing is great, too! yellowrose and her working student drink beer and cheer after everyone jumps around a course...and they provide you with ice cold beer,out of a cooler, too! I feel spoiled to have had the opportunity to *almost* have their shows to myself, though I suspect that will be "short-lived"...;))

The T and the P divisions both do X-country on Sunday; I ride at 9:00-ish, with stadium an hour later...Come by if you can, and good luck at MCTA!

Invested1
Apr. 30, 2008, 03:33 PM
The T and the P divisions both do X-country on Sunday; I ride at 9:00-ish, with stadium an hour later...Come by if you can, and good luck at MCTA!

I'm basically on your tail riding about 20 minutes behind you. Show me how it's done! :D

artienallie
Apr. 30, 2008, 03:43 PM
(And eventmom's daughter made it in...:D)

Some of us had to scratch at the last minute due to lameness. :sigh:

The rider, not the horse.

Invested1
Apr. 30, 2008, 04:23 PM

Oh no! You ok?
You can still make it for beer though, right? :D

scubed
Apr. 30, 2008, 05:06 PM
while I'm treating lameness (rider) with red wine, I've heard beer also works very well :winkgrin:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 05:32 PM

Oh no!

Nothing that will be "curable" by the weekend??

(And yeah, we would love to have you stop by on Friday night, if you're able!)

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
Dr. D - Unfortunately, I work until about 5:30 Friday PM and live 1 1/2 hours away from FPP, so I will miss out on beer, beer, and oh yeah I think you mentiioned burgers???:winkgrin: I am fairly new to this board and would like to meet more of you - I got to meet a couple at Loch Moy last weekend.

Who will be there on Sunday???

And what is the final decree on ribbon color/style???

Good luck everyone!

Jenn

Bummer about the timing--were you planning to come out and walk the course on Friday, or wait until Saturday? (We will probably be out there until at least 7:30 or 8:00, knowing *our* crowd :lol: Plus, my mare will be stabling there overnight, so I will need to "braid her for the next day"--after a few beers...now THAT should be an interesting braiding job! :p)

Maybe we'll meet up with you over the weekend!

And yes, I too would like to hear the definite decision on the ribbons!

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm basically on your tail riding about 20 minutes behind you. Show me how it's done! :D

We will sure try! (Though they are now saying RAIN INTO early Sunday! :sigh:)

Of course The Barefoot Wonder has done that course 3 times before, so I'm thinking she will be able to manage even if we have to "duck the raindrops" ;)

yellowbritches
Apr. 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Last time I saw dear AnA I was helping her into a truck (thank goodness she drove THAT on Friday afternoon, and not the car, with a manual). Jumping lesson mishap. Don't know how long she'll be out, but she won't be up for the weekend :no:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 30, 2008, 09:25 PM
Last time I saw dear AnA I was helping her into a truck (thank goodness she drove THAT on Friday afternoon, and not the car, with a manual). Jumping lesson mishap. Don't know how long she'll be out, but she won't be up for the weekend :no:

Oh, ouch! :(

Sending jingles for a speed recovery!

Invested1
May. 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
Of course The Barefoot Wonder has done that course 3 times before, so I'm thinking she will be able to manage even if we have to "duck the raindrops" ;)

Dang, didn't we run that course together the first time? This is only our second time! :sigh:

Oh yah, spring 2007, scratch for broken pony; fall 2007, rode Novice since I had a hand in a cast. :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
May. 1, 2008, 10:03 AM
Dang, didn't we run that course together the first time? This is only our second time! :sigh:

Oh yah, spring 2007, scratch for broken pony; fall 2007, rode Novice since I had a hand in a cast. :lol:

The first time HRH ran the T course there was "fall" (August ;)) '06. (it was her first completed Training; I had moved her up at Surefire that year, but she had a "melodramatic meltdown" :rolleyes:--for some reason, she gets all freaked out up on the hill there--so I scratched her X-country; the first and only time I've had to do that, but it was the right decision under the circumstances ;)) We then did DRHT, and this was right after they had put up the Irish Bank WITH the ramp in front of it--she had a "WTF?" :confused: moment, jumped the ramp, but stopped at the bank (the *only* time, actually, that she's stopped at anything :eek:, and I think she's done 17 or so HTs now; needless to say, it was quite a surprise for me! :lol:) Anyway, I got her over it the second time, and we actually made it under the OT--and received a lovely brown ribbon for our trouble, even with 20 penalties X-country! (A LOT of folks were having trouble with that bank when they first put it on the course ;))

I went back and schooled it after that (and she was fine once I "broke it down" for her, and she understood the question), and then last year ('07), we did both DRHTs at T level, and she was double-clear both times :) THIS year I'm betting that you and Tedi will be able to get a complete season under both your belts, and think about moving up to Prelim! :D

eventmom
May. 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
The weather is looking better each time I look! Now only a 20% chance of rain saturday. And 30% for sunday!!!!! Good luck everybody!

Dr. Doolittle
May. 1, 2008, 09:33 PM
The weather is looking better each time I look! Now only a 20% chance of rain saturday. And 30% for sunday!!!!! Good luck everybody!

Yay!! And Whew! :D

CamsMom
May. 2, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well, tomorrow should be an interesting day. Can you say torn tendon?? Not the horse, the rider! Last night Sky was riding Lee in the creek working on his water issue and he decided no more and jumped out, catching Sky's left foot on a rock. She had her boots on, but the side of the foot in black and blue and has a definite *bump*. She has a lesson this afternoon, so I guess we'll see how she feels after that. If she can get her boots on tomorrow, I'm not sure how we will get them off! Thank goodness she has ridden the course a few times and isn't too worried if she can't do a course walk. And thank goodness for the wonderful BF and friends who are going to bathe and braid for her tonight!

Feel free to stop by and say hi tomorrow. We'll be in the green F250 with the white Trails West gooseneck trailer with Texas plates! If you see a dark bay TB on BN XC tomorrow with a neon orange saddle pad and boots, that's us! Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Dr. Doolittle
May. 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
Another rider *ouch*!? :eek:

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious, and she winds up being able to ride after all--will keep an eye out for you!

steves
May. 3, 2008, 09:46 PM
I posted the BN results from Saturday

riverpup
May. 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
I was there as a spectator yesterday and everything was being run very nicely--scores up super fast, pretty good comms to warm up, etc. :)

steves
May. 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
All results from Sat and Sunday including the Adult Rider team and individual results are posted on our website http://drpc.ponyclub.org

I would like to thank everyone who supported us

Invested1
May. 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
All results from Sat and Sunday including the Adult Rider team and individual results are posted on our website http://drpc.ponyclub.org

I would like to thank everyone who supported us

Wow, you are GOOD!!! :D

Invested1
May. 5, 2008, 12:08 PM
What FABULOUS weather we had!!!! And I did wear my orange ribbon on my saddle pad but other than Jumper_Dad wearing a yellow one on his bridle, didn't see any others. Awh well, the idea was a good one....

My weekend:
While our score does not reflect it (2nd worst score ever!), I was REALLY happy with Ted!

Our dressage was the best test we've ever done (though again the score does not reflect it)--especially since we only got to ride twice in the past 2 weeks since Ted JUST came off being lame. :sigh:

XC, he was great, though I had a steering problem at the first water--I must've pushed Tedi too far off my right leg which led him to (mistakenly!) believe that we were going to jump the PRELIM log out! ACK, no!! But, by then, we missed our line to the Training log. So we picked up 20 points plus some time faults, but he was still great.

Stadium, we had a *beautiful* round (in fact, someone even commented on it to me afterwards). But, it was a beautiful "hunter" round and we picked up TONS of time faults in addition to 2 rails. :lol: And again, this mostly due to our not having jumped in the past month. oops.

I don't care, I'm really pleased with how pony did (as was my trainer!)!! I'm one hurtin' puppy today though and I'm guessing Tedi may be a little sore too. :)

Until the next time.... :D

DustInTime04
May. 5, 2008, 12:14 PM
Congratulations Dr. Dolittle!! Looks like you had a great weekend!

eventmom
May. 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yep, a big congratulations are definitely in order for Dr. Dolittle!!

my kid got the big E for stepping outside the ring in her dressage test :eek:
But they let her run x-c and stadium if she had NO refusals. She had a fabulous ride. I do wish she would develop such determination for her dressage! I guess this will come with age:)

Invested1
May. 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
I do wish she would develop such determination for her dressage! I guess this will come with age:)

I can assure you, it does not. :winkgrin: :lol:

thumbsontop
May. 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
My daughter had a great day. She was beaming after dressage. Her pony wasn't tense or jiggy and went just beautifully. Of course, that meant she forgot all about accuracy. :D So she was bummed at her 43 even though the pony gave her the best dressage ride ever! XC was fabulous too - she said it was the first time she's ever REALLY had fun doing XC on this mare. Rather than pulling and trying to keep in control she actually had to use the crop at times. Stadium was good too. It's nice when a kid can be mature enough to recognize that she had the best day ever regardless of score.

Dr. Doolittle
May. 5, 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the congrats, Dustin and eventmom (Invested already congratulated me ;))

It sounds like everyone had a great weekend, and BOY, did we luck out with the weather!!

Steve and Co. did their usual *superlative* job; quite literally, no one does it better, or more efficiently (or with more modesty and good humor: Steve keeps the mood light by kidding around with *everyone*, regardless of who they are--and never loses his consdierable patience...Many kudos, as always, and an abundance of "BIG thank yous" to ALL the volunteers! :yes:)

Invested's horse looked *great*, despite the few bobbles, he was the best I've seen him! :D

eventmom's daughter's pony, alas, had that "I'm doing dressage in the indoor so I must be tense and braced" thing going on, and just " ignored the bending aids and ducked out the door at A" :sigh:, but eventdaughter rode the Holy H*ll out of him in the two jumping phases, and redeemed herself, despite the fact that she got a technical E.

I wore my orange ribbon on my saddle pad, BTW, as did a couple of my students--Invested (And LexinVa) were both kind enough to bring some to our cookout on Friday--during which we had a blast (walking a course under the influence is only advisable if you already KNOW the course! :lol:)

It sounds like thumbsontop's daughter had a really good day, too; it's so nice when kids recognize these things, and is truly a sign of maturity (and many adults could learn this lesson as well ;))

My mare was great; she had a reasonably good dressage test, and got a 36--which put us in a tie for 5th. The jumping all went well (despite a few "gratuitous Drama Queen spooks" on cross country :rolleyes:), but she was clean, and was foot perfect in stadium, so we finished on our dressage score, and got first in our division (OT). She was very patient and well-behaved being stalled all weekend, bless her, and richly deserved all the love and kisses and peppermints and Teddy Grahams that I bestowed upon her.

I was very proud of her, and feel that she is now truly ready to do Prelim there in August.

So, anyone else have a report? Ishi, perhaps? (I saw her briefly, but didn't get a chance to talk to her!)

(I did see the delightful RideIrish there, who was helping another friend who was competing at her first Novice, and completed well...)

asterix
May. 5, 2008, 05:31 PM
yo, dr d, CONGRATS!!! what a great run!!!

Dr. Doolittle
May. 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you much! :D

Invested1
May. 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
Invested's horse looked *great*, despite the few bobbles, he was the best I've seen him! :D

Awh, thanks! :D
He really was quite good--VERY surprising coming off of 2 weeks of no work!! :eek: Funny too how sometimes the scores don't match up with the experience. I would say that in 3 years of eventing, that was one of our best HTs yet (though almost our worst score! :lol:)! All of the points picked up were rider error (aren't they all?). I was just SO proud of him--my good boy! He definitely was *not* for sale this weekend. :lol:

Invested1
May. 6, 2008, 08:26 AM
(walking a course under the influence is only advisable if you already KNOW the course! :lol:)

:lol: Yes, I'd say that was one of the most entertaining course walks I've done!! :lol:

Ishi
May. 6, 2008, 09:06 AM
I saw Dr D right before we went into dressage, we were in the indoor, and my green bean was a good boy. Tied for 4th after dressage with a 33, then remained in 4th after a clean XC, and moved up to third after a clean stadium. I was really proud of him. It was a busy weekend, but I got to hang out with a few friends and the weather was great!

Catalina
May. 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
It was a great weekend and a great show. Even though the wait times between phases were long, everything ran smoothly and there was pleanty to see and do between rides (especially since my horse acted like a dork on the trailer when I was around, but if I left him alone, he was fine :rolleyes:).

We had an okay dressage in the horse eating indoor and got a 34.2 for 8th place. We went clean jump wise our first time ever on XC but got loads of speed penalties :eek:. Whoops, it sure didn't feel like we were going almost a minute too fast- my horse has a HUGE ground eating stride. We were double clean for our first time ever doing stadium and finished 6th, which I was thrilled about since it was our first recognized, the first time we ever cantered XC and the first stadium course we had ever done :D.

yellow rose
May. 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
congrats you guys! I am so happy! I credit myself for my fabulous jumper courses that prepared yall so well.

Dr. Doolittle
May. 6, 2008, 07:15 PM
Great job Ishi and Catalina! :D

(Always so thrilling to have the greenies do well, and hav confidence-building experiences!)

And yes, yellow rose, your jumper schooling shows have been *most* helpful in terms of enabling me to work on that "all important rideability"; thank you much for providing them! :yes:

yellowbritches
May. 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
JRey, the BN course there is very friendly and a good first outing. It twists and turns a little, but not too bad. And if you can school a few fences in the woods and jumping into/out of the woods prior to going, it would be well worth it, but not 100% necessary (we've had plenty of greenbeans jump around when only ever jumping in the wide open). The toughest part for BN is that the dressage is quite often in the cavernous, horse eating, noisy indoor. Horses either go in their and put their game faces on, or act like dorks. ;) My biggest complaint for the "fall" event is the footing, but it isn't the Pony Club's fault, and steves and his team do a very, very good job with what they have available to them. If we go in the fall, we only take BN/N horses.