PDA

View Full Version : Darren's Progress

Pages : [1] 2

sofiethewonderhorse
Mar. 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm starting this thread to seperate Darren's progress from the myriad of topics being discussed on the Red Hill's thread.

Please, DO NOT post on this thread unless it is specifically about Darren's well being.

ADMIN: Please read your PM before you combine this with the Red Hills thread, thanks.

From Today:

STATEMENT FROM CHIACCHIA FAMILY
March 16, 2008 - 2PM EDT

As you know, Darren was injured in an unusual accident on March 15, 2008 at the Red Hills Horse Trials. He was negotiating the preliminary cross country course aboard seven year old Baron Verdi, whose recent performance at home and in competition had provided Darren with great confidence. A misstep led to a somersault of horse and rider.

Darren remains in critical condition in an intensive care unit in Tallahassee. He sustained a severe head injury, and also contusions to both lungs with multiple rib fractures and a partially collapsed lung. Initial concerns about spinal injury were alleviated after extensive specialized testing. His pulmonary function is improving, but the major concern remains the head injury. His overall condition shows definite improvement, but he remains unconscious. His family and close friends are with Darren, and all remain optimistic he will continue a slow, but steady, recovery. Please keep Darren in your thoughts and prayers.

One Star
Mar. 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much for posting this and separating it from the other threads, where it would have been lost.

In Ocala we are all praying for Darren's speedy and complete recovery.

And we wish his many worried students, owners, sponsors, and parents the best during this difficult time.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 16, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for posting the statement. I wish a complete and speedy recovery for Darren and as little anquish as possible for his family and friends.

Darren rode Toadie for me one time and it was awesome. I can still watch the tape and learn from it.

jules2001
Mar. 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
Good news from the Red Hills Website:

RED HILLS HORSE TRIALS
MARCH 16, 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tallahassee, Florida

Red Hills Horse Trials has received encouraging news regarding Darren Chiacchia and his condition. Family and friends at the hospital report that Darren is still in critical condition in the Neuro Intensive care unit at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, but is now showing definite signs of improvement.

The family appreciates everyone’s concern, thoughts and prayers. Further information will be released by Darren’s family on his website: www. Eventrider.com.

Red Hills Horse Trials wishes Darren and his family well during this time.

Huntersmom
Mar. 16, 2008, 08:33 PM
Darren, I wish you all the best! You are in my family's thoughts and prayers. We hope you get well soon.

Sobriska
Mar. 16, 2008, 08:49 PM
Prayers and jingles. Could admin sticky this so we can keep up with progress?

WindWillowStable
Mar. 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
Prayers and jingles. Could admin sticky this so we can keep up with progress?

I agree! Prayers are with Darren and his family during this time!!!!

Lori T
Mar. 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you for the update. This has been on my mind all weekend. He is is our prayers.

On Fire
Mar. 16, 2008, 09:06 PM
We are thinking about Darren and his family and have him constantly in our thoughts and prayers and are praying for a full recovery. He is a class act, a kind person and a talented rider. He has contributed so much to the sport and has been an outstanding representative for the sport of eventing. He will stay in our prayers and thoughts.

Janet
Mar. 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
I received an email from Tim Holekamp (Windfall's owner) who is at the hospital with Darren. He asked me to post:
"...that I am here with him and have been from the moment, that Darren is being properly cared for, that his family and friends are very much "on duty", that we do remain hopeful, but that his condition will remain critical for a while."

audgesmom
Mar. 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
jingles from Harvard Mass............

TXAuburnTiger
Mar. 16, 2008, 10:39 PM
I was part of the DMC team for a long time and I am still in shock over the events that transpired this weekend. I have spoken to a close friend who is with Darren. Although I am not at liberty to discuss details of Darren's condition, we are all optimistic. I will make sure that all of the wonderful messages here are passed along to Darren's family/close friends. When and if I receive any information that I may pass along, I will certainly do so. Darren's website should contain the most current public information. Please continue your thoughts, prayers, well wishes and jingles for Darren - they are much appreciated by all who love him.

smid2
Mar. 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
I thought I would share. I just heard from my dad, who lives in Tallahassee. He caught the news tonight and told me that they said that Darren has been upgraded from critical to serious. He said the news report said he was still unconscious, but improving.

Tiempo
Mar. 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
Oh gosh, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Ellie K
Mar. 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have a good feeling about Darren, and his fitness level will help him recover I am sure. That he quickly showed some improvement is GREAT news. Hopefully his brain just needs to rest awhile. My brother came out of a serious head injury none the worse for wear after being out for more than a week and not having any idea if he'd wake up or not.

still jingling...

annikak
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for this thread-

Huge jingles to everyone on Team C!!!

sofiethewonderhorse
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
Anyone have an address where we can send get well cards?

frugalannie
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:53 PM
Jingles and prayers for Darren. And for his family, the knowledge that so many people they don't even know respect and care about Darren. Their loving support and presence are integral to his recovery.

Miss Perfect
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Darren and his family. May his good progress continue. And my deepest condolences go to Jon and Missy.
:(

My2cents
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
Sending healing thoughts to Darren. Just looked at his bio and discovered we were born on the same day, September 18. We Virgos are tough! Get well soon!

FoxChaser
Mar. 16, 2008, 11:57 PM
Many jingles to Darren! May he rest well while he recovers.

One Star
Mar. 17, 2008, 12:34 AM
Anyone have an address where we can send get well cards?

I'm not sure if anything should be sent to the hospital, since at some point he might be transferred closer to home (possibly Shands?) if that is deemed appropriate.

My guess would be to send cards and get well wishes to the farm:

Independence Farm South
6650 N.W. 35th Street
Ocala, FL 34482

Everyone should also know that there has been a fund set up in Darren's name at the Equestrian Aid Foundation. They will also field cards and wishes and forward them on to Darren.

You can go to www.equestrianaidfoundation.org (http://www.equestrianaidfoundation.org), or checks and well wishes can be sent to EQUESTRIAN AID FOUNDATION, c/o Janise Gray, 228 Phillips Terrace, Union, NJ 07083. Please indicate Darren's name in the memo section of your check. They will forward all well wishes to Darren and his family.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:50 AM
Best wishes on a full and speedy recovery.

mythical84
Mar. 17, 2008, 08:28 AM
Still keeping Darren in my thoughts and prayers.

Fred
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:03 AM
Adding my best wishes, healing thoughts and prayers for Darren and his family.

mjedge808
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:36 AM
Positive thoughts can go a long way, so I'm sending mine along. If anyone sets up a CarePage for Darren, please let us know here so we can check in on his progress and send him our well-wishes.

Equine Connection
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks very much for the updates. We sincerely wish Darren a full and speedy recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with Darren, his family and friends. Godspeed.

Parminch
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Darren and his family and friends at this very difficult time. Keep thinking the positive thoughts and keep talking to him!

clint
Mar. 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
I haven't evented in years, and I have admired Darren from afar since I watched him ride Windfall. I'm sending every positive thought I have for his full recovery.

BBowen
Mar. 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
Sending jingles and prayers to Darren for a full and speedy recovery. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time.

Lamma70
Mar. 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
I haven't evented in years, and I have admired Darren from afar since I watched him ride Windfall. I'm sending every positive thought I have for his full recovery.

I too admired him from afar riding Windfall at Rolex 2006. What an amazing dressage test! I wish Darren all the best for a fast recovery, and hope that I will be able to watch him once again on Windfall and others. Jingles! Jingles!

NeverTime
Mar. 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
Best wishes to Darren, and Missy, and the whole Independence Farm family. I don't know Darren personally, but by all accounts he is a very fit, healthy, sharp and strong-willed person. These qualities, no doubt, will serve him well during his recovery and help him win this fight.

LynLyn
Mar. 17, 2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.equestrianaidfoundation.org/

You can easily contribute to the fund and ear mark it for Darren. I can only imagine what the cost will be.

HECS04
Mar. 17, 2008, 01:29 PM
Still jingling for Darren!

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Mar. 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
GODSPEED TO DARREN and BEST WISHES to his loved ones and all that are close to him.

I cannot stop thinking about him, and continue to JINGLE like mad!!! If he needs a miracle, lets hope God will give him one. He certainly deserves it.

Positive thoughts

boppin along
Mar. 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
Any current news this morning on his condition?
We send heartfelt well wishes for a complete recovery, he is such a sweetie.

jetandmegs4
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:11 PM
Jingles here, I hope he continues to improve, how scary this all is.

hookedoneventing
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:25 PM
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080317/NEWS01/803170318&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

sounds like Darren's brother didnt agree with the fact that his condition had originally been upgraded, he stated here in this latest update that Darren is still critical...still jingling..

ddashaq
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
Continued jingles and positive thoughts from Iowa! I hope that his condition contiues to improve and my thoughts are with his friends and family.

olympicprincess
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:52 PM
***JINGLES*** for Darren.

hookedoneventing
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=56320

buffalo news reporting on a vent, but breathing better and able to squeeze his brothers hand according to Darren's brother

Gunnar
Mar. 17, 2008, 05:18 PM
I am sending the most powerful jingles for DC!! :sadsmile: Come on Darren we love you and need you to get all better! :sadsmile:

Any new updates?:sadsmile:

snickerdoodle
Mar. 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
There's a new update on his webpage.

Jingling for Darren.

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 17, 2008, 06:52 PM
STATEMENT FROM CHIACCHIA FAMILY
March 17, 2008 5:00 p.m. EDT

Darren Chiacchia remains unconscious in critical condition but is now breathing independently without the assistance of a ventilator. A minor fracture of his left hand was detected today, but the extent of his brain and neurological injuries are still the major concern. Further updates will be provided tomorrow.

eks
Mar. 17, 2008, 07:05 PM
Darren and his family and friends are in my prayers.

My thoughts are also with Jon and Missy during this terrible time.

NeverTime
Mar. 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
How frustrating and frightening this waiting must be for his family and friends. Please pull through, Darren; we've had too many of our bright stars changed forever in the past few years.

Also, does anyone know how the horse he was riding is doing? Is he OK or injured, too? It sounds like it was a high-velocity fall.

Grasshopper
Mar. 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
Lots of jingling from me, too.

The horse appeared to be okay--got right up and stood quietly, thank the heavens. I imagine they'll check him over carefully just in case.

eventer15
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:08 PM
jingling like crazy

mairzeadoats
Mar. 17, 2008, 09:45 PM
The initial reports were that Baron Verdi didn't suffer life-threatening injuries. Later reports said he was uninjured.

Samantha37
Mar. 17, 2008, 10:31 PM
This waiting is awful... I can't imagine what it must be like for his family.
Jingling as hard as I can

lucky dog farm
Mar. 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
Come on Darren! There are alot more great horses and great rides you need to perform! We are Jingling like crazy for you and your family. Te entire eventing community is waiting for you! GET WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amchara
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:58 AM
Jingling like CRAZY from my CRAZY little island!

C'mon! You have more horses to ride, more Rolexs to attend and more riding articles to write!

Irish Ei's
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:53 AM
Let the Doctors and Hospital do what they do best....
They may have him unconcious to avoid further damage....
Don't ask me how I know this....

Family will be absolutely traumatized.....understandable and unavoidable.....

The Hardest thing to do right now is hurry up and wait....
Time to do the Hardest thing...

denny
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
I`d said this on another thread,but in case it got buried---
In 1964, my brother was crossing a road at night, and was hit by a car. He was in a coma for 80 days, and during all that time, one or another of my parents were at the hospital, or nearby.
It was a nightmare time, and on several occasions, it appeared he wasn`t going to make it.
But he did, and gradually, gradually came back, and was able to lead a productive life.
So hang in there, family, and know that you aren`t alone. You have thousands of us thinking about you every day.

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS01/803180319/1010

Equestrian rider Darren Chiacchia is still in critical condition, family members said Monday. But Darren's progress has surpassed the family's expectations.

Daniel Chiacchia said Monday he and his family hoped that brother Darren would be removed from the ventilator in at least two days, but the award-winning equestrian rider was removed from life support Monday and continues to breathe on his own.

Darren Chiacchia has suffered severe head injuries when his 7-year-old horse, Baron Verdi, misstepped and caused them to flip in the air and land on the ground. The horse landed on Darren Chiacchia.

Before Darren was taken off life support, his brother said, "He's got a long way to go. It's kind of like a roller-coaster ride. You have some improvement. Then, it's back to where it was before."

Daniel Chiacchia and their two sisters have spent most of their time at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. Each travelled to Tallahassee from Buffalo after Darren Chiacchia's accident Saturday during the Red Hills Horse Trials.

The family said Sunday that Darren Chiacchia injuries include contusions to both lungs, multiple rib fractures and a partially collapsed lung.

Chiacchia is a world-renowned equestrian rider who's been competing at the Red Hills Horse Trials for years, earning the title in 2004.

He was a 2004 Olympic team member and was the individual gold medalist at the 2003 Pan Am Games. He's also won the Rolex Kentucky Event, the Fair Hill International and the Foxhall Cup, according to his Web site.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
Come on Darren!

For some reason, the way you put this sums up what I want to say, too. Come on, Darren. You can do it!

Makes me think of the determination he seems to transmit to his horses. I hope it's there for him now, too.

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
Jingling for Darren today!

mythical84
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Still crossing my fingers and toes for Darren!

MyMare
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
Jingling for Darren!

c_expresso
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
Just got an update from someone I know through another BB that knows Darren...

I just got an update regarding Darren.

He has opened his eyes a few times but it appears there is quite a bit of brain damage. :-(. He is starting to respond to stuff though the majority of the time he is still unconscious.

Fallbrook
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:37 PM
Jingling for Darren!

Also thought I would mention a way to raise money for the Equestrian Aid Foundation through Freelanthopy.com If you do your internet searches though this web page (I have it set as my home page) Freelanthopy will donate money to EAF based on a pay per click. I've been doing it for years for other charities. Just designate the charity as your choice and do a lot of searches. (PS - I'm not affiliated in any way with Freelanthopy or EAF - just in the habit of using the service) The pennies can add up over time.

Cheryl

HECS04
Mar. 18, 2008, 12:51 PM
Jingling for Darren!

Also thought I would mention a way to raise money for the Equestrian Aid Foundation through Freelanthopy.com If you do your internet searches though this web page (I have it set as my home page) Freelanthopy will donate money to EAF based on a pay per click. I've been doing it for years for other charities. Just designate the charity as your choice and do a lot of searches. (PS - I'm not affiliated in any way with Freelanthopy or EAF - just in the habit of using the service) The pennies can add up over time.

Cheryl

Thanks for the tip! I will be searching ALOT just to help out!! Any new updates??

hookedoneventing
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
very sad update....puts a sick feeling in my stomach...jingling like mad that Darren can overcome this

hey101
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:30 PM
Adding my jingles and sending upbeat, positive thoughts to Darren and his family. Darren, we are all pulling for you!

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
It's FAR too soon to panic, or to hope, really. Keep jingling and praying. :yes:

olympicprincess
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
Still ***JINGLING*** like crazy for DARREN!!!

Irish Ei's
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
It's FAR too soon to panic, or to hope, really. Keep jingling and praying. :yes:

Truer words were never spoken.....

3dazey
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
deltawave, thanks for giving us a perspective from a medical professional in regards to these updates. They can be very frightening to us lay-people and its helpful for a voice of reason to say, "hey, it's early days, keep the faith."

Best wishes Darren, I so enjoyed watching you ride Dun To A T through the big water at Pine Top the first weekend in March, and look forward to watching you compete with him in the future. :yes:

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:50 PM
They can be very frightening to us lay-people

It is 100 times as frightening for the poor loved ones. Any flicker, any little blip, is pounced upon as a "sign", for better or for worse. It is so hard to simply say "wait a little, wait a little" when you yourself want to interpret every bit of data as being meaningful. One of the wisest and most sensible ICU docs I know makes a habit of stating very clearly, in the chart, on rounds, and to the family/friends that he fully anticipates a long course and that progress will be slow. It's one of those things where everyone sort of knows, but it never hurts to make it part of the game plan.

flshgordon
Mar. 18, 2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks for giving me a reality slap-in-the-face. I am praying for his speedy and complete recovery and will remind myself to think GOOD THOUGHTS!

buschkn
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
Agree with DW. Definitely too early to say either way, but jingling/praying/hoping, etc is always good! And I just remember how poor a prognosis it looked for Ralph Hill for a while and look at him go! Thinking strong karma for Darren and his family to get through and recover from this terrible accident...

mairzeadoats
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
At this point, I'm taking any update that doesn't come directly from the family with a significant grain of salt. Remember what happens in the game when people whisper a "secret" to each other around a circle. The more people it goes through, the more it gets distorted, until it's unrecognizable from the original statement. Reporters sometimes get things wrong, editors sometimes make mistakes, and sometimes the reporting is old news by the time it makes it through the process the online news.

Yesterday, his brother said he responded to him by squeezing his hand. That says he could hear, understand and respond. I'm taking those as very positive signs. Hopefully the progress will continue.

Painted Wings
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:37 PM
It was a little less than a year ago we were going through the same scenario for Ralph. I have met both riders but know Darren far better than Ralph. I hope he makes a full recovery. He is such a talented, athletic rider and a lot of fun to be around.

ponygirl
Mar. 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
The brain is a powerful, mysterious, magical thing that performs amazing feats regarding healing. Time and patience is what Darren needs. Jingles from FL.

joharavhf
Mar. 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
I am jingling here as hard as I can. I can't imagine how hard it is for his family, friends, students and all those that know him better than I do! I've been thinking about him since I learned of the accident on Sunday night. I met him a few times while I worked at Charles Owen, as CO had (and still does, I believe) sponsored him.

Here's to a speedy recovery, Darren!

JINGLES!!!!!

katherine w
Mar. 18, 2008, 04:19 PM
Two questions:

1.) Deltawave, what will recovery be like for Darren (or anyone) as he continues to improve.

2.) is it too early to move him from Tallahassee? I'm sure the hospital is great but Shands is only an hour or two away and is one of the best for neurotrauma in Florida. Just curious...

Darren has impressed me for a long time. I remember reading how he would run the cross country course the first time he walked it and then he would go back and walk it properly. A great way to stay fit and to know what his horses would experience. Hopefully that fitness will help him now as he is on this long road to recovery.

pharmgirl
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
***Disclaimer*** I am not a neurologist/neurosurgeon, but I did conduct neuroscience research for several years. This is just my personal take on it.

I think the timeline and recovery is different for each person- it depends on so many factors, many that we don't even know of yet. It can depend on how severe the insult/injury is, what part(s) of the brain have been damaged, etc. And, it takes awhile for the initial trauma/inflammation in the brain to calm down to be able to even tell what the long term damage has been. IMHO, we'll just have to wait and see what shows up with Darren over time.

I am sure they will move him when they feel he is stable enough, and ready to move on to another facility for different care.

HiJumpGrrl
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
not deltawave, but also a physician:

i think the medical community will refrain from making predictions about a medical course about which we are not fully informed. Even if we were privy to all of the details, recovery from brain injury is extremely difficult to predict. suffice it to say that it will be a long road, but there is room for hope.

I join in everyone else sending out positive vibes or mojo or whatever to Darren and his family.

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
Sending good thoughts and prayers. I do know that it isn't like the movies where they wake up and everything is normal. From my own experience....even mild head injuries take longer then you would think to recover. I just hope that he does recover and with so many pulling for him....that positive energy has to help some!

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't dream of speculating like that, even if I were privy to all the medical information. Not only is it not my specialty, it's simply just to soon to even begin to prognosticate or predict. That isn't a "bad" sign or a "good" sign, it just is the way things are.

Granada
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:39 PM
Two questions:

1.) Deltawave, what will recovery be like for Darren (or anyone) as he continues to improve.

2.) is it too early to move him from Tallahassee? I'm sure the hospital is great but Shands is only an hour or two away and is one of the best for neurotrauma in Florida. Just curious...

Darren has impressed me for a long time. I remember reading how he would run the cross country course the first time he walked it and then he would go back and walk it properly. A great way to stay fit and to know what his horses would experience. Hopefully that fitness will help him now as he is on this long road to recovery.

As someone who has experienced this with a very close family member, my DH was the sole and legal decision maker in our case. And so from that perspective I can say it is too soon to tell. Every case is different; so many things are often unknown and fluctuate day to day, week to week, month to month. And it can take so long, years, to regain a semblance of normalcy.

I cannot express the uncertainty and the range of emotions I felt during this time. Friends, family and coworkers were great support, especially when they were supportive without being overly prying. One of the hardest things was to update everyone on the good and bad news and having to do it over and over, even though we knew it was just because they cared also. And so I commend Darren's family on their regular updates on his website; this is so much more difficult than some may realize.

My heart goes out to Darren and his family. I feel the best support is to keep up hope without adding the pressure of expectation.

And so I'm adding my mojo/jingles/thoughts/prayers for Darren and his family and am wishing for them the best possible outcomes in the trying times ahead.

Irish Ei's
Mar. 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
Please do not rely on his Family's updates...
They are tinted by shock, grief, hope and despair....
And Doctor's and Hospitals are bound by laws of Confidentiality.

La Gringa
Mar. 18, 2008, 06:46 PM
For what it's worth, people can and do recover amazingly well with brain injuries. My roommate's sister was dragged from a horse, had substantial damage.. was in a coma for nearly a year. She now functions almost completely normal, has 3 daughters and is fine.

The body is an amazing thing. I am taking the fact that he has responded and squeezed hands and other things as positive. He could be doing none of that stuff.

Hang in there everyone, it may be a long road back, but Darren is a strong guy..

I send my prayers and hardest jingles...

hookedoneventing
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
From Darren's website www.eventrider.com

STATEMENTS FROM CHIACCHIA FAMILY

March 18, 2008 - 2PM EDT

After breathing independently for a few hours, Darren had an unfortunate set back. He developed a fever and pneumonia causing him to be re-intubated and is now breathing with a ventilator. His condition remains critical and guarded.

c_expresso
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

March 18, 2008 - 2PM EDT

After breathing independently for a few hours, Darren had an unfortunate set back. He developed a fever and pneumonia causing him to be re-intubated and is now breathing with a ventilator. His condition remains critical and guarded.

$h!t.:cry:

happy mouth
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hang in there Darren, you have such a huge fan club all rooting for you. Hoping so that you can feel our love and strength, it is all dirrected to you. Jingles and prayers.

horsekpr
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:23 PM
Not the news we were hoping to hear.:(
Sending more prayers to Darren and his family.

HECS04
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:23 PM

March 18, 2008 - 2PM EDT

We will keep jingling!!!

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:24 PM
I just went to his website and the last thing on there is an update from yesterday...

I did find this on Tallahassee.com (http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS01/803180319&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL)

Still jingling!!

eks
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
More and more prayers for Darren and his family.

I can't imagine what they must be going through. Sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts to them.

hookedoneventing
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
the update has indeed been removed from the website. Maybe that is good news.

I did find this on tallahassee.com which seems to confirm the pneumonia unfortunately...

http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS01/803180319&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

AppJumpr08
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
*Jingle Jingle Jingle Jingle*

deltawave
Mar. 18, 2008, 08:49 PM
Pneumonia on day 4 is absolutely predictable and although very serious, not altogether unexpected. :(

By all accounts he's a vigorously healthy guy, so keep jingling and hoping! :yes:

blackwly
Mar. 18, 2008, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't dream of speculating like that, even if I were privy to all the medical information. Not only is it not my specialty, it's simply just to soon to even begin to prognosticate or predict. That isn't a "bad" sign or a "good" sign, it just is the way things are.

Well, it is my specialty and I have to say "Ditto" to deltawave. Even with all the available information, we are so often wrong in our predictions in the field of neurotrauma. Without all the medical information, that's almost a certainty. It will be a long rode, and the best thing we can do is offer our support to Darren, his family and friends.

sofiethewonderhorse
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks Deltawave for sharing your experiences and insights.

We know of a young man who had an unfortunate accident while skiing (he was wearing a helmet).

This young man suffered a shattered C6...he then suffered many set backs (including pneumonia), he spent months in the hospital, he then spent months in ReHab which he continues to this day. He is a quadrapelgic.

With the help of a program called Project Walk (www.projectwalk.com), this young man is strong and healthy, is able to stand with assistance. He happens to play for a wheel chair rugby team that is in the hunt for a National Championship.

My point being, pneumonia is difficult, but not the end of the world.

I'm going to ask his mother if she or he would be willing to share some of their experiences.

Keep the jingles headed towards Darren, it makes a difference!

Regards,

Kathryn

Tiempo
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:13 PM
Just adding my own good wishes for Darren's recovery.

I'm holding hope that his strength and athleticism can see him through this.

mairzeadoats
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:25 PM
The family's 2pm update is back up, with minor modifications.

March 18, 2008 - 2PM EDT

After breathing independently for a few hours, Darren had a temporary set back. He developed a fever and pneumonia causing him to be re-intubated and is now breathing with a ventilator. He continues to receive superior medical care and remains in critical but stable condition. The Chiacchia family wishes to extend their appreciation for all the concern and support.

FLeckenAwesome
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:53 PM
adding more prayers and jingles again!!!

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Mar. 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
More and more prayers for Darren and his family.

I can't imagine what they must be going through. Sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts to them.

Ditto

********JINGLES*********

JustEvent
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:01 PM
Jingling for Darren and his family.

SR Rider
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
Prayers and special wishes for Darren and his family from Indianapolis.

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
I'm praying hard for your recovery... and may your family have the strength they need to help you.

siegi b.
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
Darren - it's been eons since I've watched you and Terry Koenig ride at the Ohio Fairgrounds at the ATA meeting. I hope from the bottom of my heart that you will come around so I can watch you once again ride a Trakehner stallion and wow the spectators.

Good Speed to you!
Best always,

Siegi

4Martini
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
jingles from Colorado. Come on Darren - pull through! We're all routing for you!

Shrapnel
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
Darren,

Hang in there! We are all praying really hard for you!! :sadsmile:

I have admired you since I began eventing. You are an incredibly strong athlete and if anyone can make it through this it is you!

Many Jingles! Along with my thoughts and prayers!!

Logan

skatepixie
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:12 AM
*prayers and jingles*

ezmissg
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:28 AM
I was at Red Hills all weekend, and I cannot describe what a truly devastating day it was for everyone present.

A teenage girl here in Memphis suffered a severe head injury when she fell from her horse last Labor Day. She is still on the road to recovery, and I wanted to share a link from a site that her family set up to keep people informed of her status. I think it gives a great illustration of what a long haul it is. There are also a couple of links to PDF's that describe the levels of coma, which I found VERY informative. Here is the address:

http://weloveallie.googlepages.com/

JINGLES, JINGLES, JINGLES! Come on, Darren!!!

annikak
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:42 AM
Jingling like mad for you. There are a lot of great horses and riders waiting for you to get back in the saddle.

JINGLES! Kick on Darren!!!!

frugalannie
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
Many jingles and continued support as this long road of ups and downs unwinds before Darren and his family.

NRB
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
prayers and jingles for Darren and his family.

ctanner
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:52 AM
Jingling for Darren and his family and friends.My thoughts & prayers have been with you since Saturday and will continue.
Also jingling for all eventers,event horses and the future of eventing.

SueCoo2
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know you and you don't know me, but I am praying for you and your family. May the Lord hold you in his arms and make you strong again. I'll light a candle for you this coming Good Friday. God bless and hold on, you are very loved Darren. :yes::sadsmile:

SparklePlenty
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:32 AM
Jingling like crazy here... We are praying every day for you Darren!! Keep fighting and fighting you can over come this. :yes::sadsmile:

TKR
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Prayers and jingles for Darren and his family/friends from Alabama.
PennyG

Samantha37
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:57 AM
More prayers and jingles...

Darren- you don't know me, but I am a fan, and you can pull through this! We all love you and are sending you all the good thoughts and healing jingles we can....

Reitsport
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
Many prayers for Darren as well as empathy for Darren's family. My brother was in a coma for 8 months (brain stem injury - not spinal cord).... the waiting is horrible.... hang in there! My brother woke up after 8 months!

Home Again Farm
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
Darren,

We are all jingling and praying and hoping like mad for you to come back from this as fine as ever. You'd not know me from Adam's housecat, but I have admired your riding and horsemanship since I first saw you ride in Columbus, Ohio at an ATA meeting in the mid '80s. Since then, I have watched you climb the training ladder in both dressage and eventing with horse after horse. I hope you can feel the collective vibes from all these well wishes and that they help you to heal. Hang tough, Darren. :yes:

LAZ
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
Adding my postive thoughts for you to this thread.

ravenclaw
Mar. 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Here is a gorgeous picture of Darren and Windfall:

http://www.trakehner-bayern.de/Archiv-Sport/Windfall-06.jpg

I'm wishing the best for Darren and also for his family, friends, and co-workers. In a way, they have it worse than Darren because they just have to wait and feel helpless. Hang in there, everyone!

luise
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:03 PM
Here is a gorgeous picture of Darren and Windfall:

http://www.trakehner-bayern.de/Archiv-Sport/Windfall-06.jpg

I'm wishing the best for Darren and also for his family, friends, and co-workers. In a way, they have it worse than Darren because they just have to wait and feel helpless. Hang in there, everyone!

What a fantastic picture!!
Sending jingles!

Gunnar
Mar. 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
I am still sending those huge jingles for Darren!:sadsmile:

Come on Darren you can do it, you know that you can do it!

Becka
Mar. 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
Sending jingles to you, and to your family. Please return to them as soon as you can....

Weatherford
Mar. 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
Sending healing thoughts to Darren. Just looked at his bio and discovered we were born on the same day, September 18. We Virgos are tough! Get well soon!

That's three of us! We are tough!

{{{{{{{{jingles to Darren}}}}}}}}}}}}

Gunnar
Mar. 19, 2008, 05:40 PM
I am trying to make a contribution to DC health care! The website asks for an email for DC?? Please help me with this part!:sadsmile:

Jaegermonster
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:04 PM
does anyone have an update? It has been strangely quiet today and the last update left me feeling a little sick.......

pwynnnorman
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Come on, Darren.

NeverTime
Mar. 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
An excerpt from today's Talahassee Democrat:

He's still unconscious, in critical condition with more broken ribs than originally suspected. But Darren Chiacchia seems to be more relaxed said a family member today.

Darren, an award-winning, equestrian rider, suffered severe head injuries when his horse misstepped, flipped in the air and landed on him during the Red Hills Horse Trials Saturday.
Brother Daniel Chiacchia said the award-winning rider was removed from life support Monday only to be put back on Tuesday. That took a toll on the family.

"The glimmer of hope we had was a little premature," Daniel said Tuesday.

But today, Darren Chiacchia was more at ease. This brought some relief to the family who has been at Darren's side in Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.

"When pain meds wear out, you can tell he's in a lot of pain," Daniel said about his brother. "(But) he's really got a good mind, spirit-thing."

The complete article is here:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803190369

jetandmegs4
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
Continued Jingles to him.

On Fire
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
Come on Darren, we know you can do it. The entire eventing world is thinking about you and praying for you. The positive vibes are all for you.

KBG Eventer
Mar. 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
I did my first cross country school with you Darren! That was three years ago, and I am still loving this sport.

We are all praying! I know you are a very fit, tough guy so I know you can pull through this.

Fiat Lux
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm just curious... I haven't seen anything about a wife or significant other. Does anyone know if Darren has one?

Hidden
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:20 PM
Jingles from NC.. Please, Please do well.

mbj
Mar. 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
Praying for Darren and his family and close friends, and holding them in my heart. He is gallant and I am sure they are all having to be as well. Blessings!

snoopy
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm just curious... I haven't seen anything about a wife or significant other. Does anyone know if Darren has one?

No wife and not sure if he is in a relationship with anyone, maybe someone else will know.

olympicprincess
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:23 PM
Still thinking about Darren everyday and sending all the **JINGLES** I can!

lucky dog farm
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:39 PM
Darren,

You take whatever time you need to help heal yourself but, and this is a big BUT, you NEED to wake up. We in the eventing community need you to get well and come back. Your horses MISS you! Here are my prayers and HUGE JINGLES for you and your family. My heart goes out to all of you.

Waltongirl
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
I didn't see an update on his website. This is amazing - Darren has always prided himself on his physical fitness. I probably thought about him 100 times today. Saying lots of prayers for Darren and his family.

TampaBayEquine
Mar. 19, 2008, 09:53 PM
I wonder if the family could print off and read all the well wishes to him every day. That would be wonderful for him. Exponential Jingles!

katherine w
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:27 PM
His website had an update yesterday (3/18) and it is one to make you a bit queasy. I have thought of him all day. I too remember how much his fitness means to him and I'm hoping that great fitness is really going to help him now. It should. Hang in there Darren!

cottagefarm
Mar. 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Com'on Darren

We love you

Your neighbors Fred & Sally

Jewels
Mar. 19, 2008, 11:25 PM
Come on Darren! I'll jingle and pray until your all better. :sadsmile:

HECS04
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:18 AM
STILL JINGLING!!!!!!!! Also, did anyone see the tidbit about his horse...good to know the horse is ok....now we just need Darren to get better!

ivy62
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:49 AM
I have seen Darren several times at Rolex. I remember, in the pouring rain, looking at the schooling ring the morning of the dressage and seeing this incredible black horse and a confident wonderful rider. That was when I said wow what a pair.....
Darren- let your body heal, then wake up without pain...take your time, but hurry up! we need to know you are okay.....

<<<<<JINGLES>>>>> from NY

Kenike
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:41 AM
It kind of depresses me that there is no update on his condition today. Still jingling & praying, though!

Fiat Lux
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:39 AM
It kind of depresses me that there is no update on his condition today. Still jingling & praying, though!

The Tallahassee newspaper has been having daily updates, even if it is only little bits of info, and I don't know how reliable it is, but the reporter seems to be speaking to the family or someone close to the family. They say he is more relaxed, but has more broken ribs than originally thought. Daniel is talking him through yoga breathing exercises.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803200328
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803190369

Dawnd
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's three of us! We are tough!

{{{{{{{{jingles to Darren}}}}}}}}}}}}

Make that 4! I'm honored to share my day with someone like Darren (et al!).

And if you add James Gandolfini, who was also born on Sept 18, you at least add a tough character of his!

May Darren and his family find the strength needed for the days that lie ahead.

LD1129
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
Sending Jingles from PA!!!! Praying for a speedy recovery!!

misterdarcy
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the links to the Tallahassee paper. Prayers and positive thoughts from our part of the horse world.

HECS04
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
Is anyone else falling in love with Darren's brother through all of this? :D He is lucky to have such a supportive family! Still praying and jingling for all of them!

Fiat Lux
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
I just want to highlight this quote from today's update on the newspaper website. http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803200328

"The family and neurologists continue to remain optimistic, Daniel said."

Let's hang onto that.

Candle
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Come on Darren, I know you have the heart to pull through this. Jingling and praying and hoping for your full recovery

Shrapnel
Mar. 20, 2008, 04:48 PM
Still jingling and praying like crazy Darren!!

I know you can pull through this!!

olympicprincess
Mar. 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
I am trying to make a contribution to DC health care! The website asks for an email for DC?? Please help me with this part!:sadsmile:
IndependenceDMC@cs.com (IndependenceDMC@cs.com)
This is the email on his website.

Many **JINGLES** for Darren! :yes:

simply_eventer12
Mar. 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
No wife and not sure if he is in a relationship with anyone, maybe someone else will know.

Jingles for Darren!!!wishing you the best in FL!not really regretting my decision not to do red hills!!! i know at richland park this year he was seeing a young canadian eventer can't remember his name, but my thoughts and prayers with everyone close to him!! despite the warm weather, the mood is still very chilled here in the south.....

Vandy
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
Best wishes Darren's recovery. I have never met him, but my local eventer friends speak glowingly of his kindness and generosity. Thank you for the continued updates - he is in our thoughts and prayers.

Copper
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:50 PM
Jingles for Darren!!!wishing you the best in FL!not really regretting my decision not to do red hills!!! i know at richland park this year he was seeing a young canadian eventer can't remember his name, but my thoughts and prayers with everyone close to him!! despite the warm weather, the mood is still very chilled here in the south.....

And you thought you would post under a new alter in order to pass on the gossip? Really, who cares if he has a partner, wife, or with whom he is involved - what difference does that make at this point in time? And what business is it of ours?

Nosy people...................

Nomoreusernames
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
AMEN! How sad for you simply_eventer12.
Darren, I'm praying for you.

hookedoneventing
Mar. 20, 2008, 09:57 PM
Totally agree Copper!!

In the meantime there is a new update on Darren's website:

"Darren is still listed in critical condition, but he remains comfortable and stable. He has squeezed hands upon command at times, and opened his eyes on a few occasions. The medical staff remains optimistic about his recovery. Some of Darren’s favorite music has been playing around the clock at his bedside to soothe his spirit. Let’s all say some extra prayers on Good Friday and throughout this Easter weekend."

The website also has a post regarding all the great help his students are getting from other instructors including Jon Holling, the Maddens, Missy Ransehousen and Robert Dover...Kudos to everyone involved!!!! Keep Fighting and healing Darren!

Copper
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
Now that, is encouraging news!

AppJumpr08
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yay!! I'm so glad to hear some good news :)

Continuing to jingle from New Hampshire on the first day of spring!!!

Equine Connection
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:29 PM
This is indeed very encouraging news to hear and thanks for the latest update. Very best wishes to Darren for a continued and full recovery, and to his family and all of his friends and supporters.

HappyHoppingHaffy
Mar. 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yes! Thank you to his family and friends for keeping us, his fans, in the loop!!
We're all pulling for him!
:yes:

HECS04
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
Totally agree Copper!!

In the meantime there is a new update on Darren's website:

"Darren is still listed in critical condition, but he remains comfortable and stable. He has squeezed hands upon command at times, and opened his eyes on a few occasions. The medical staff remains optimistic about his recovery. Some of Darren’s favorite music has been playing around the clock at his bedside to soothe his spirit. Let’s all say some extra prayers on Good Friday and throughout this Easter weekend."

The website also has a post regarding all the great help his students are getting from other instructors including Jon Holling, the Maddens, Missy Ransehousen and Robert Dover...Kudos to everyone involved!!!! Keep Fighting and healing Darren!

So is he still unconscious? Or would he not be opening his eyes and responding if he was? I am sorry I do not know much at all about this kind of stuff.

Also--Ditto on the Kudos to everyone pitching in! What a great community we have!

wookie
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:23 AM
first, my thoughts and prayers are with darren and his family.. to the last person who posted..i work in health care directly. brain injuries are tricky,,and any neurologist will tell you that sometimes you just have to wait and see. when someone sustains such an injury,,the body and brain almost hibernate,,almost as if it knows it has to lay low to heal. the fact that he is following commands and squeezing hands is huge. it means important connections are being made and processed properly in the brain. the fact that we don't know if he has opened his eyes does not mean bad things. and as for being reintubated,, that was not a surprise to me although i know psychologically it is heartbreaking for his family. but the vent is to protect him. he sustained bruises to both lungs with multiple rib fx's so unfortunately pneumonia was an almost given. those are very painful injuries and thus one tends to take shallower breaths for taking a deep breath or god forbid coughing are excrutiating.with that,, pneumonia sneaks in. i only share this because everything we have heard so far is actually great news. i say this because i believe it from experience. i also believe that positive energy is very powerful and so let's keep sending it.

mairzeadoats
Mar. 21, 2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks Wookie for posting that -- it confirms what I was thinking about the response with squeezing hands...that he can hear, interpret what he hears and respond. I remember when my horse flipped and rolled over me. I had 1 small fracture in my sternum and every breath was agony. I can't even begin to imagine coughing. And he has 6 or 8 broken ribs...

(btw, the update says he *has*opened his eyes a few times.)

Also to add to HECS4, there are different levels of consciousness. If he's responding, he's not deeply unconscious, or at least not all the time. But he's probably not fully conscious either.

Samantha37
Mar. 21, 2008, 07:35 AM
What encouraging news!!
Sending more jingles- and a big thank you to his family and friends for keeping us so up to date.
I love that the community has really stepped in to help his students and his farm...

yellowbritches
Mar. 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
Thank you wookie for the encouraging and insightful explanation in how these things tend to work. It is hard for us lay people to know what is good and what is bad, and being horse people who have heard the horror stories of brain injuries, I think most of us will say we often want to panic and jump to OMG! mode. I think we're all learning to be patient and wait.

Still jingling...

Quinn
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
On this Good Friday, what encouraging news. My heartfelt prayers continue.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Fiat Lux
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, thanks so much to those "in the know" with experience with these sorts of things for explaining it to us. Those of us unfamiliar with these situations tend to panic. Things do look encouraging, and it seems his docs are still optimistic.

cyberbay
Mar. 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
I hope his fitness really does give him an edge in recovery. It's months to go 'til there's a sort of normalcy, I would think, given even the routine injuries.

I didn't think it was gossipy to talk about a possible partner...did you all think it was "gossipy" b/c Darren is gay? Why would that be more gossipy than if he were hetero and the poster mentioned a girlfriend? Hmmmm...

I for one would be heartened to know that he has even more committed people around him, and the presence of a SO would suggest that. It was probably mentioned more in the context of having a web of helpful people, esp. ones who can go the distance?

hookedoneventing
Mar. 21, 2008, 11:52 AM
In the end is that truly any of our business whatsoever though? we are all here for one reason only on this board: JINGLING LIKE MAD FOR HEALING...

Fiat Lux
Mar. 21, 2008, 12:13 PM
I hope his fitness really does give him an edge in recovery. It's months to go 'til there's a sort of normalcy, I would think, given even the routine injuries.

I didn't think it was gossipy to talk about a possible partner...did you all think it was "gossipy" b/c Darren is gay? Why would that be more gossipy than if he were hetero and the poster mentioned a girlfriend? Hmmmm...

I for one would be heartened to know that he has even more committed people around him, and the presence of a SO would suggest that. It was probably mentioned more in the context of having a web of helpful people, esp. ones who can go the distance?

Thank you for recognizing the reason the question of an SO was brought up. When someone gets in a situation like this, I think it's normal to think about the people around that person. It's difficult for us to wait for word of more improvement, so how is it for them, at his bedside, someone who is a major fixture in their lives? Even more difficult. Whether you believe in prayer or good thoughts or positive energy, the people around Darren also need those things from us, not just Darren.

As far as Darren's fitness, I think his mental and physical fitness and toughness and his self-discipline will take him a very long way. My dad had a non-horse related accident in which he was crushed when he was 72 years old. Among other injuries, his pelvis was broken in 6 places. Today, he is completely recovered -- completely. The docs credit his physical fitness AND his dedicated family rallying around him. Darren has everything going for him. I really believe it's just a matter of time to see his recovery unfold and he gradually returns to a normal life.

Parminch
Mar. 21, 2008, 12:16 PM
Continued prayers for Darren and his family and friends. It is good to read the updates and see that there is definitely some good in all of these reports. It will be a long hard road for he and his family with lots of ups and downs but hopefully knowing that so many people are praying for them will help.
There is a cutting horse trainer from NC who was kicked in the head on Jan 28th and has been in a coma since. I have been trying to follow her progress and I know that there have been some real positives and then some setbacks and then up again etc. It must be so hard for the family and friends who are there watching and waiting.
Continued prayers and thoughts from my family. Keep the faith. PHM

mbj
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
Continuing to pray for Darren and those who care ,and are caring for, him-- Darren,family, friends, students,medical folk....
I would wonder if this is a great time for him to be unconscious, to avoid the added stresser of the pain and give him time to heal.
It speaks well of Darren that there are so many good people stepping up to the plate to help.

Fiat Lux
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
update! I haven't read it yet -- I have dialup and the page is still
llllllllllllloooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddddddiiiiiiiiiii nnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg (loading).

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880321001

edited to add: The page finally loaded... My dad, who had the accident I described a few posts earlier, never has novocain at the dentist, either! I think he's wacked! :)

ss3777
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
More positive vibes from a fellow NYer. I am cheering for you!!!!!

HECS04
Mar. 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
first, my thoughts and prayers are with darren and his family.. to the last person who posted..i work in health care directly. brain injuries are tricky,,and any neurologist will tell you that sometimes you just have to wait and see. when someone sustains such an injury,,the body and brain almost hibernate,,almost as if it knows it has to lay low to heal. the fact that he is following commands and squeezing hands is huge. it means important connections are being made and processed properly in the brain. the fact that we don't know if he has opened his eyes does not mean bad things. and as for being reintubated,, that was not a surprise to me although i know psychologically it is heartbreaking for his family. but the vent is to protect him. he sustained bruises to both lungs with multiple rib fx's so unfortunately pneumonia was an almost given. those are very painful injuries and thus one tends to take shallower breaths for taking a deep breath or god forbid coughing are excrutiating.with that,, pneumonia sneaks in. i only share this because everything we have heard so far is actually great news. i say this because i believe it from experience. i also believe that positive energy is very powerful and so let's keep sending it.

Thank you for the clarification!

mairzeadoats
Mar. 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
Looks like a couple friends and BNTs have stepped in to help keep his business running :)

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2008/03/117.shtml

ddashaq
Mar. 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
Continued jingles from Iowa!!

That last update was wonderful news and thanks, Wookie, for the clarification. I have been thinking of Darren and his family and friends frequently since Saturday and wish them the best!:)

Marney
Mar. 21, 2008, 03:11 PM
I am so glad to hear good news....Jingles from WA!!!

eks
Mar. 21, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have been thinking about Darren and his family so much this past week. Still praying for his recovery, and for the the people closest to him.

NeverTime
Mar. 21, 2008, 03:41 PM
I think it's really great that other trainers are helping out; that says a lot about our horse "community" in the truest sense.
Keep on truckin' to Darren and a huge thank-you to Missy, Jon, the Maddens, Robert Dover, etc., for helping to keep his business running and helping to provide his students -- who surely are reeling from this -- some small sense of normalcy.

starrysky
Mar. 21, 2008, 03:59 PM
Still jingling here in OH! :yes:

grayarabpony
Mar. 21, 2008, 06:00 PM
Best wishes to Darren, his friends and his family.

olympicprincess
Mar. 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you wookie for the information.

I had thought that being in a coma was the body's way of attempting to heal... and pneumonia is all too common with these injuries.

Sending my daily **JINGLES** to Darren.

Sobriska
Mar. 21, 2008, 08:55 PM
Grab mane and kick on Darren. MANY people are pulling for you.

hookedoneventing
Mar. 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
New update from Darren's website:

"After a moment of prayer with Pastor Randy Ray and Darren’s family in the hospital Chapel, Darren had a good Good Friday. He continues to show improvement and optimism remains high. His response to verbal stimuli continues to improve, and the movements of his right arm and leg are more consistent. There is hope that he can be removed from the ventilator next week if it is determined he is strong enough to breath independently."

Sending more healing thoughts Darren's way...

allpurpose
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:06 PM
Looks like a couple friends and BNTs have stepped in to help keep his business running :)

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2008/03/117.shtml

This makes me smile! These BNT's have their own horses and students to train, two of them lost their own horses last week, and they are stepping up to help a critically injured friend. Darren, you have SOME friends! You are blessed. :)

closetoperfectionfarm
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:16 PM
What a wonderful message to read.
He is truly blessed to have such remarkable friends and family.
This is a testament to a very special person and the amazing amount of love that is helping him to recover.
Go Darren!

Lori T
Mar. 21, 2008, 10:19 PM
Good news tonight. Constantly thinking and praying for him.

AiryFairy
Mar. 22, 2008, 12:49 AM
For some really educational and inspirational reading, check out "On the Edge - My Story", by Richard Hammond. He is a host of the British show Top Gear who was brain injured in a jet car crash a couple of years ago. His recovery was fairly rapid, at least physically, for the severity of his injury, his brain, emotional respones, etc., took a lot longer, but he returned to work only about four months after the injury. It's a good education in how people with brain injuries can recover, and how time is really the only medicine that counts.

Cheers to Darren, I knew him long ago when he was just starting out, very distressing to hear of this now, but I have great hope that he'll come back.

Sabine
Mar. 22, 2008, 01:23 AM
sending lots of prayers and wishes to all involved- the family, the friends and students - the trainers that are chipping in and most of all to Darren...do what my step dad couldn't do- win the fight- for the love of the sport and for all of us- so that those who love eventing can continue and those who respect and admire you- can enjoy your contributions to the sport and your spirit for many years to come!

jingling for you from California!

zolie
Mar. 22, 2008, 07:44 AM
Been following this since it happened and thought I'd add my jingles and prayers for Darren and his family and friends.

JMarcyQuay
Mar. 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
Grab mane and kick on Darren. MANY people are pulling for you.
I'll second that! Come on Darren!

LR1976
Mar. 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
More jingles and prayers from Iowa. Hang in there Darren!!!

SEPowell
Mar. 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
Lot's of positive vibes from all around the country! Go Darren!

Fiat Lux
Mar. 22, 2008, 11:09 AM
Not sure if you all saw today's Tallahassee newspaper update. They seem to get a little more detail than the updates on Darren's website. All of it is very very encouraging. One finger for yes, two fingers for no, he wiggles his toes. This is all very good news!

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803220329

La Gringa
Mar. 22, 2008, 02:58 PM
Jingles from VA. Glad to hear the positive updates. Hang in there!!

Granada
Mar. 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
Not sure if you all saw today's Tallahassee newspaper update. They seem to get a little more detail than the updates on Darren's website. All of it is very very encouraging. One finger for yes, two fingers for no, he wiggles his toes. This is all very good news!

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803220329

Wow, that is great news! Still jingling in CA.

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Mar. 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
SO glad to hear of the good news!

Still *jingling*!

happy mouth
Mar. 22, 2008, 05:15 PM
This is such good news. Continuing massive jingles for Darren. You can do this Darren!!!!!!!!!! Lots and lots of love pouring out for you from so many people.

Gunnar
Mar. 22, 2008, 05:53 PM
I am happy to hear any good progress reports on Darren!

Kudos to thos BNTs who have stepped in to help! It is truley a tight world for us horsepeople! :cool:

Jingling like mad from CA!:sadsmile:

cllane1
Mar. 23, 2008, 09:12 AM
Easter jingles for Darren! We've been praying and jingling all along, of course, but will be thinking especially of him this morning.

sidepasser
Mar. 23, 2008, 10:27 AM
It is refreshing to see that Darren's friends and professional associates stepping up to help keep Darren's business going and to assist his students to continue training and competing. In this day and age when it seems that so much is always focused on "what is in it for me", to see the nation's top trainers rally round to help a fellow eventer is wonderful.

Jingles and prayers for Darren's continued healing and to his many friends who are taking time from their busy schedules to kindly lend a hand to help a fellow eventer in need. Their unselfish acts reaffirm my belief that in the world of horses, eventers can be counted on to be the "salt of the earth".

True Southern Pride
Mar. 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
Jingles for Daren, hang in there!

TeddyRocks
Mar. 23, 2008, 02:51 PM
Easter Jingles for Darren and his family.

Eventcrazy
Mar. 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
jingles!!!! Get well soon!

Kcisawesome
Mar. 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
*Jiingling like mad!*

horse-loverz
Mar. 24, 2008, 12:29 AM
jingling for Darren in KY as well. I worked in a Neuro ICU for several years and the fact that he can follow those simple commands this early in his injury bodes well for a postive outcome. Keeping Darren and his family in my thoughts and prayers this Easter.

lucky dog farm
Mar. 24, 2008, 09:47 AM
Good Job Darren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Breathing a tiny sigh of relief but still jingling and praying for you ,madly. I know you can do it!!!

Fiat Lux
Mar. 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
I worked in a Neuro ICU for several years and the fact that he can follow those simple commands this early in his injury bodes well for a postive outcome.

Thanks. That's good to know! Very encouraging!

kytter
Mar. 24, 2008, 02:38 PM
It is refreshing to see that Darren's friends and professional associates stepping up to help keep Darren's business going and to assist his students to continue training and competing. In this day and age when it seems that so much is always focused on "what is in it for me", to see the nation's top trainers rally round to help a fellow eventer is wonderful.

Agreed! Here's another article about his friends and associates helping out:
http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/darren_chiacchia_aid_032308

Fiat Lux
Mar. 24, 2008, 05:19 PM
I just wanted to post a link to a very inspiring story that makes Darren's responsiveness all the more encouraging. Miracles do happen!

"Pronounced dead, man takes ‘miraculous’ turn
Doctors can’t explain why 21-year-old Zack Dunlap recovered from accident"
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23775873/?GT1=43001

MyMare
Mar. 24, 2008, 05:52 PM
***Jingles***

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 24, 2008, 06:29 PM
Can't get your struggle out of my mind. God bless all those in the industry that are there for you and your family.

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 24, 2008, 06:40 PM
Darren was removed from the ventilator today and has been breathing independently now for about six hours. His ability to communicate is also improving, utilizing hand gestures and making appropriate eye contact. Prognosis remains positive, but he remains in the ICU.

NeverTime
Mar. 24, 2008, 06:41 PM
What truly wonderful news. I know it's early yet, but these are very, very encouraging signs.

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 24, 2008, 06:43 PM
What truly wonderful news. I know it's early yet, but these are very, very encouraging signs.

Agreed. Sending more positive thoughts his way!

akrogirl
Mar. 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
I was just checking in for an update and am thrilled to see such positive news. Way to go, Darren!

CookiePony
Mar. 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have been checking the thread every day and jingling-- I was so happy to find the most recent news just now.

eks
Mar. 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
Wow. What an amazing update...continued jingles and prayers.

Thanks to everyone who has rallied to help keep his business going and his students prepared.

Melliebay
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
Thinking of you many times a day and hoping and praying for a complete recovery for you, Darren!

FLeckenAwesome
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
WHOO HOO!!!

that's fantastic news :)
Keep truckin on darren!

mairzeadoats
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry if I'm re-posting, I didn't see today's update here. It's fabulous!

March 24, 2008 - 5PM EDT

Darren was removed from the ventilator today and has been breathing independently now for about six hours. His ability to communicate is also improving, utilizing hand gestures and making appropriate eye contact. Prognosis remains positive, but he remains in the ICU.

SR Rider
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
great news. Darren is a fighter. I just adopted a little rescue dog who is one too...in tribute to Darren I think I am going to name her Cha Cha...spelled Chiacchia. (My other dog is a fiesty tiny dog named Pippa.)

On Fire
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:34 AM
Great News on Darren...Tallahassee paper reports he is off ventilator, breathing on his own and trying to talk. Daniel reports, it looks like he's going to make it. Keep the positive thoughts going for Darren.

ivy62
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:38 AM
Darren- this is the most difficult XC course you'll ever be on there's lots of jumps and twists and turns and you do not get to walk this course first....use your skills to get through..

Jingles from NY

annikak
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
yeah Darren! Keep Kicking!

Huge jingles to you and your crew!

mbj
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:08 AM
Continuing to pray for Darren and those who love him. What an amazing and brave fighter he is!

Becka
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
Wonderful news!! Still sending jingles to you and to your family!!

BBowen
Mar. 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
I check Darren's website each day to check on updates. What great news and I know it is encouraging to all of those close to Darren. Continued prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you so much to his family for keeping his website updated with Darren's progress. It means a lot to his fans, acquaintences, everyone who is concerned and pulling for him.

frugalannie
Mar. 25, 2008, 01:18 PM
Continued jingles for Darren his family and friends. Wonderful to hear even glimmers of positive news, and astounding to hear so much.

And Amen to thanks for the updates!

Quinn
Mar. 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wonderful news!! A true testimony to the man, his familiy, friends, doctors and caregivers. To your continued healing Darren.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

smid2
Mar. 25, 2008, 05:22 PM
Ok, my Dad just called to tell me he saw the 4:00 pm news briefing on Darren's condition (parents are in Tallahassee). He said the report said Darren is awake and trying to talk.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/BREAKINGNEWS/80325007&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

luise
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
Good news!

joharavhf
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
Still jingling like mad, but I am very encouraged by the latest news :D

Jingle, jingle!

ddashaq
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, my Dad just called to tell me he saw the 4:00 pm news briefing on Darren's condition (parents are in Tallahassee). He said the report said Darren is awake and trying to talk.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/BREAKINGNEWS/80325007&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

That is fantastic!

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 25, 2008, 09:58 PM
What an encouraging update! :)

Tucked_Away
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:02 PM
Oh, brilliant!

Tiempo
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:13 PM
Great news! Keep on fighting Darren!

lisagordy
Mar. 25, 2008, 11:21 PM
I would like to say Keep Fighting Darren, and your family. My son was injured 4 years ago in a skiing accident in Oregon. He suffered a very severe Spinal Cord Injury and is now a C5 C6 Quadriplegic. He was an all around athlete and was 18 at the time of the injury. He spent a total of 4 months in the hospital in Portland Oregon. I just would like to tell the family and friends my prayers, thoughts, aches, pains and tears are with you all. It is a long hard road while surviving in the ICU and also the waiting rooms, cafeterias, hall ways etc. Keep positive, stay close to one another, drink lots of water, get as much sleep as you possibly can and always move forward.
It sounds like he is making great progress. So fantastic to be off the ventilator, that is a wonderful obstacle to have conquered. And the movements are so encouraging and positive. Way to go!
My son (Kip Johnson) is doing well, he always always moves forward, fights as hard as he can, pushes with all he has. I could not be more proud of him and the accomplishments he has made since the accident. We are amazing creatures when confronted by what seem to be overwhelming circumstances.
Keep fighting!

sofiethewonderhorse
Mar. 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
hey Lisa,

thanks for posting!

Kip, you and Gordy are an absolute inspiration to the concept that one should never, never, never give up!

See you soon

Kathryn

FairWeather
Mar. 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
YAY!!!!!

Home Again Farm
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:39 AM
That is fantastic!

That is fabulous. I am still jingling like mad. :yes:

grayarabpony
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:49 AM
That is wonderful news!!

sidepasser
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:52 AM
Wonderful news!!!

mythical84
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
Still jingling and praying!!

Huntersmom
Mar. 26, 2008, 12:20 PM
Still sending Jingles and happy thoughts from Nor Cal.

HECS04
Mar. 26, 2008, 12:23 PM
Darren- this is the most difficult XC course you'll ever be on there's lots of jumps and twists and turns and you do not get to walk this course first....use your skills to get through..

Jingles from NY

Very creatively put! Still Jingling as well! So happy for the good news!!

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
Still jingling!! Kick on Darren!