PDA

View Full Version : favorite boot for riding/walking

LLong
Mar. 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
I've been looking at the Ariat Terrain or the Ariat Duma and also the Mountain Horse Free Rider. Comfort is #1 and durability is #2. I don't know anything about the Mountain horse free riders.. they just look nice, has anyone worn them before? I think the Dumas are probably the most comfortable, but I need something that will hold up. Any suggestions?

Auventera Two
Mar. 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
I use Ariat Terrains and LOVE them. They are very comfortable, fit great, hold up well, and are good for running also. Even after doing a lot of conditioning in the river last year, mine held up very well.

gabz
Mar. 13, 2008, 01:28 PM
I second the Ariat Terrains. I've used them for riding and for climbing the red rock in Sedona AZ. They are also what I wear when I'm working 12 hour days at an Expo.

sublimequine
Mar. 13, 2008, 01:38 PM
I third the Ariat Terrains! Love em love em love em. :D

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
Ariat Terrains, get the waterproof ones! I had my first pair for 3 or 4 years before they died and that was being a BM mucking 16 stalls daily and teaching 30 lessons a week (I am a walker when i teach, never sit down) and riding in them. Definately comfy, i won't teach in anything else.

ashebrook
Mar. 13, 2008, 05:51 PM
I have to add my voice to the Ariat Terrain chorus. I do a lot of field work, with tons of hiking up and down rocky hills and through streams. The Terrains have great ankle support, they are super lightweight, and I got mine on sale for $40. Great deal!

Raleigh's Mom
Mar. 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
Ummmmm..... Ariat Terrains. :)

CoopsZippo
Mar. 13, 2008, 11:20 PM
I have Ariat Terrains.. One pair is at least 5 years old. The others are 3 years old. I wear either pair daily.

Simbalism
Mar. 14, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'll add a vote for Ariat Terrains. I have the waterproof ones. They have lasted very well, I think mine are at least 4 years old. light weight, comfy for walking and riding.

KarenC
Mar. 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
One note about the Terrains - they are WIDE suckers compared to standard Ariat paddock boots. I love Ariat paddock boots; they are the only things I ride in. I got a pair of the Terrains and even went down a size from my normal size, and my feet slide around horribly in them. I liked the idea of the boot so much I tried a couple related models (the Dumas and one other model), but none of the trail/hiking style models worked for me. If you have feet on the narrower side, they probably won't work for you.

I think the key is finding something that fits your foot really well. I wear my regular Ariats all day long and love them.

ChocoMare
Mar. 14, 2008, 09:27 AM
Another Ariat Terrain wearer! Ditto the "wide-ness." Very comfy...I traipse all over the farm in them, muck stalls, haul hay, etc., as well as ride for hours. No break in period...just wear and go.

jeano
Mar. 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
looooooove my Blundstones. Lots of wiggle room, good to walk in, plenty of ankle support. No laces to fool with. Mine are suede but there are more water resistant versions I'm sure.

LLong
Mar. 14, 2008, 05:21 PM
wow... I guess I should go with the terrains.. I have wide feet, so it should work out perfect.

CosMonster
Mar. 15, 2008, 04:44 AM
I am also going to vote for the Terrains, and I even have super narrow feet (I have seriously been asked multiple times, "How do you walk on those?!"--wearing clogs or mules or any sort of shoe that doesn't actually require buckle or laces to hold it on is a futile dream of mine). I have to lace mine up pretty tight, but I only went down a half size from what I usually wear and they are super comfy. I ride in them, shoe in them, teach in them, and have even gone running in them and I think they're great.

ETA I am an Ariat fan in general and I did find that I went down 1/2 size from my normal paddock boots, but other than that the fit is not all that different.

KimberlyInTexas
Mar. 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
I love Ariat Terrains too...wearing them as I type. :) I am a barefoot/flipflop girl. My feet get claustrophobic in shoes. I can actually wear these all day long without any discomfort. Super ankle support too!

twofatponies
Mar. 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
How about the Ariat Cobalt? I have an ancient pair I use for winter riding, road walking, expos, muddy and icy days, etc. Not as close to the hiker/running shoe comfort of the Terrain, which I haven't tried, but super support and comfort on hard surfaces and great grip and waterproofedness in slushy/muddy weather.

KCFoxy
Mar. 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi,
I have both. If you have a high instep, I would recommend staying AWAY from the Dumas as the tongue is one piece construction to the shoe. I LOVE my terrains. Both are extremely comfortable, however, I have to be very cautious as to the sox I wear w/ the Dumas.:yes:

lawndart
Mar. 16, 2008, 01:00 PM
very timely for me :) I have a pair of Ropers that are OK to ride in, but really are not comfortable to walk in :no: Since we ride waaaay back in the woods, and having to walk out is always a possibility, I need something comfy for both. :)