PDA

View Full Version : Rolex Entries posted!

Eventer4life28
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
www.rk3de.org

ponyjumper4
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hmm, I'm surprised Teddy isn't posted already.

mcorbett
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
ok, maybe a dumb question, but how does a rider ride more than one horse back to back? Why aren't they spaced out? for example:

Truluck Phillip Dutton USA 2:32
Woodburn Phillip Dutton USA 2:40
Connaught Phillip Dutton USA 3:10

curlykarot
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
Interesting:
4 Canadians
2 Aussies (Boyd Martin has 2 rides)
The rest are Americans.

Is Teddy not running Rolex?

mythical84
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone know why Boyd's blog isn't on there anymore??

jump4it
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
Wheres Teddy? Any reason why he wouldn't be going?

ponyjumper4
Mar. 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not a final list, more can be added I think. The order of go/time table is not accurate or final, as they have Karen listed back to back as well.

Eventer4life28
Mar. 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
The entry closing date isn't for another couple weeks so I'm sure there will be many more. The timetable won't be accurate until mid April.

eqsiu
Mar. 11, 2008, 12:32 PM
ok, maybe a dumb question, but how does a rider ride more than one horse back to back? Why aren't they spaced out? for example:

Truluck Phillip Dutton USA 2:32
Woodburn Phillip Dutton USA 2:40
Connaught Phillip Dutton USA 3:10

It's not the starting order, just the entries they have so far. The starting order is usually posted the week before.

I can now commence my Rolex countdown website stalking!

NeverTime
Mar. 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
I thought they were saying that Dunrath's Alto was being retired after last year's Rolex, but he's on the list to go again!

InVA
Mar. 11, 2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe Teddy doesn't have to go.. since he won the pan ams, he might be qualified for the olympic teams already.

Mandiba is going to Saimur (sp?) I believe..

Why is Upstage going? ugh! isn't he retired yet??!

eqsiu
Mar. 11, 2008, 02:05 PM

I am always pleased to see teenagers still in the game. It says a lot. Jonathon Morgan ran Rolex at 20!

CookiePony
Mar. 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
I can now commence my Rolex countdown website stalking!

And isn't it excruciating? They add another entry here, another part of a rider's diary there... so you have to keep checking the site compulsively!

InVA
Mar. 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Now come on he is only 18 like Brad...again, again and again.

You're right, Snoop, Woody has been 18 for a few years now.. bless his heart!

InVA
Mar. 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm sure more entries are coming.. it seems like a small field doesn't it?

TeddyRocks
Mar. 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
It seems to me there are quite a few names missing... But of course I can't think of who they are right now... Or maybe just a lot of new faces from last year.

Any input?

Thanks...

Granada
Mar. 11, 2008, 03:35 PM
Are you sure this is this years list and not last years? They still have the timetable from last year posted too (I think) and it says 2007 copyright... Edit: Oh, nevermind. It is this years I think, I was just confused by the timetable, there are new people, and the copyright is on all the websites pages.

mythical84
Mar. 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
Entries don't close until the 25th ... I'm sure the list will be quite a bit longer by then.

tuppysmom
Mar. 11, 2008, 04:51 PM
Everyone who completed Rolex with a qualified ride in 2007 is qualified for the Olympics. Doesn't mean that they won't still need to run this year, though. It is a selection trial/qualifier, I guess that's how you'd say it. There are other qualifiers also, Badmiton,Burghley, I think Jersey Fresh, etc

snoopy
Mar. 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
Everyone who completed Rolex with a qualified ride in 2007 is qualified for the Olympics. Doesn't mean that they won't still need to run this year, though. It is a selection trial/qualifier, I guess that's how you'd say it. There are other qualifiers also, Badmiton,Burghley, I think Jersey Fresh, etc

The following are qualifiers for 2008
Rolex
Badminton
Saumur
Jersey Fresh
Bramham
Bromont
Luhmuhlen

Kanga
Mar. 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
The Entries listed on the Rolex website are correct as of 3/11. However, as you have noticed the timetable was incorrectly linked to entries and has now been removed for the timebeing. More entries will be added as the Event Office receives them. The timetable will be done once entries close and the draw is done.

Featured Ridrers' stories are due to me mid-month each month, leaving two more installments each between now and late April.

Sorry for the error and confusion regarding entries/timetable.

Evan
Webmaster
www.rk3de.org

NeverTime
Mar. 11, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info, Evan. Can you tell us what happened to Boyd Martin's featured rider segments?

Kanga
Mar. 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I believe that when our web guys added the word "Entries" under the drop down menu that it hid the "Boyd Martin" line since his name is last alphabetically in Featured Riders. Just got off the phone with the guys at eLink and they are adding it back.

If you ever see anything amiss, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Evan

Bensmom
Mar. 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
Ok, guys. No bashing Woody! :mad:

He is 17 this year and he is on track for Ky, but if there is any reason he shouldn't go, his Team will make the decision that he doesn't need to be there.

No picking on Woody, darnit! :mad:

Libby (and yes, I am president of Woody's fanc club!)

AppJumpr08
Mar. 11, 2008, 06:50 PM
Livingstone is getting up there too isn't he?

Very excited to see Sam and Livewire entered!! That's really exciting for her :D

eqsiu
Mar. 11, 2008, 07:45 PM
He is 17 this year and he is on track for Ky, but if there is any reason he shouldn't go, his Team will make the decision that he doesn't need to be there.

Is it like how I thought my mom was 21 for the first 7 years of my life? She just never got older! :winkgrin:

Bensmom
Mar. 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
heehee -- actually, Woody really is 17 -- and really, not even until August 1 is he really 17, as they don't age in NZ until then :D

But, I did want to say that I know that Karen would never enter him anywhere he wasn't really ready, sound and fit enough to run, and hey, if he is ready to run at KY for the 7th straight year in a row, then I am gonna be there to watch him go!! :D

I also spoke to Karen tonight and she said that Teddy is running at Red Hills and they want to see how he runs here, and then they will conference with everyone involved and make the decision that is best for the Pony as regards the Games and decide if he will run at KY or not.

I'm kinda bummed that Woody is not here this year, but he is going to S.Pines instead. I offered to let him hang at my farm if Karen just wanted to bring him along, but I think she was concerned that I might refuse to give him back! :lol: :lol:

Meredith Clark
Mar. 11, 2008, 10:35 PM

hahaha.. i think i have a poster from Horse Illustrated of Upstage from Rolex 2005 or something

yventer
Mar. 12, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the quick response! :->

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I believe that when our web guys added the word "Entries" under the drop down menu that it hid the "Boyd Martin" line since his name is last alphabetically in Featured Riders. Just got off the phone with the guys at eLink and they are adding it back.

If you ever see anything amiss, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Evan

Foxtrot's
Mar. 12, 2008, 12:55 AM
I, for one, will be cheering for Hawley and Livingstone. What a grand old horse he is and their story is one that could be made into a Walt Disney movie. We are rather proud of our BC eventers - David Wilding-Davies and Crusader had a special story. And then there is Theresa Washtock and Nick Holmes-Smith and Chelan Kozak.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 12, 2008, 07:50 AM
A little OT, but, Foxtrot's, what IS that story? What do you mean? I'd love to hear it (instead of waiting for the movie to come out).

AppJumpr08
Mar. 12, 2008, 09:51 AM
Hawley and her mom got Hank (Livingstone) off the track and they've come the whole way together - from OTTB greenie to OTTB Olympic/**** horse :yes:

I worked with Hawley for a bit, and it's amazing how much that horse puts himself out there for her.

He's 18, btw. Lovely guy.

polo3day
Mar. 12, 2008, 02:47 PM
InVA isn't really bashing Woody - she secretly loves him and KOC! Isn't that right?

Its a testament to these rider's team (vet, farrier, groom) and their programs that any of them can get an horse in their mid to upper teens to Rolex!

I will be attending Rolex again this year and I can't wait!!! Maybe last time I was there was the year it rained like hell and Bruce skipped around with Little Tricky? Now that was some ridiculous spectating! I asked him afterwards what he was thinking heading out in those conditions and he said "I was thinking I can't wait to get out there on that course with my fabulouse horse" ...something along those lines.

Ahh, I'm so excited! It will be a very exciting year being an Olympic year. Wish Toddy was coming over instead of going to Badders. Anyone have any other insight as to who is coming from across the pond?

Blugal
Mar. 12, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hawley did not get Hank off the track. Therese Washtock did.

NeverTime
Mar. 12, 2008, 02:56 PM
Polo, THAT was a sight to behold. For the longest time, I had a picture of them jumping the oxer at the head of the lake, totally soaked and with a rainbow of umbrellas behind them, as the screensaver on my computer.
As you surely remember, by the time of day they went, there were VERY few horses coming by b/c riders were either withdrawing, retiring or getting eliminated early on. And then they came through and made it look like child's play. Too dang cool.

snoopy
Mar. 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
I am not sure if this will be a great year for europeans to come over....traveling in the wrong direction. If not running badminton, they have the three star at bramham and also the luhmuhlen four star.
To me it does not make sense to fly to the US this year. But you never know. Some may have other plans if they are not being considered for the OG.

snoopy
Mar. 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hawley did not get Hank off the track. Therese Washtock did.

Therese also brought My Beau up to the CCI** level, maybe just beginning ADV, before selling him.

Blugal
Mar. 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
Snoopy, the recesses of my brain are thinking that was Tricia Dahms... but I could be mixing it up.

snoopy
Mar. 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Snoopy, the recesses of my brain are thinking that was Tricia Dahms... but I could be mixing it up.

Your are correct, I always get them confused.

JenJ
Mar. 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
Am i going crazy or was there a reply from someone apparently with inside information who stated that Teddy will not be going to Rolex, which post completely vanished?

snoopy
Mar. 12, 2008, 03:58 PM
no it was there and it was the posters first post.

JenJ
Mar. 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
no it was there and it was the posters first post.

ahh ... I guess I should have said that the poster "claimed to have inside information"
I didn't notice that it was a new poster

thanks - I really thought I was starting to see imaginary replies!

eqsiu
Mar. 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
I think what the post said is that they're going to see how Teddy goes at Red Hills before they enter? But it's gone now so...

InVA
Mar. 12, 2008, 04:24 PM
hahaha.. i think i have a poster from Horse Illustrated of Upstage from Rolex 2005 or something

You mean 1995 right? haha!

we stand corrected then. he's only 17.. (..again!)

AppJumpr08
Mar. 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
I stand corrected on Hank - I remember Hawley telling me she'd gotten him off the track... but maybe I misunderstood ;)

Bensmom
Mar. 12, 2008, 05:23 PM
No, my post stated that I had talked to KOC last night, and actually was asked by her to post the information that Teddy is running at Red Hills and the decision will be made after his competition here whether he will run at KY.

My post, at any rate is still on page 2 -- I didn't see the one that vanished, but if something changed today, I haven't heard about that.

I can't wait to see him go here at Red Hills -- the course is re-done and I haven't even had time to get over to see it yet!

Libby

snoopy
Mar. 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
No, my post stated that I had talked to KOC last night, and actually was asked by her to post the information that Teddy is running at Red Hills and the decision will be made after his competition here whether he will run at KY.

My post, at any rate is still on page 2 -- I didn't see the one that vanished, but if something changed today, I haven't heard about that.

I can't wait to see him go here at Red Hills -- the course is re-done and I haven't even had time to get over to see it yet!

Libby

Libby

Someone came on called ROLEX2...and said that he was not running at rolex...had nothing to do with your post

Bensmom
Mar. 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
See, when I don't check in during the day, I miss all the exciting stuff ;)

Painted Wings
Mar. 13, 2008, 01:40 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever ridden more than three horses. I don't remember ever seeing it. Phillips got three and if Karen takes Teddy that will be three for her too.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 13, 2008, 02:49 PM
Karen got special permission to run 4 or 5 in '02...in my cold medicine induced haze I can't remember how many it actually was, but I know it was more then 3 :lol:

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 13, 2008, 03:27 PM
Karen got special permission to run 4 or 5 in '02...in my cold medicine induced haze I can't remember how many it actually was, but I know it was more then 3 :lol:

I remember that! I was there that year too... I can't remember what horses she had though.

takeone4theteam
Mar. 13, 2008, 04:11 PM
Phillip rode four a few years ago. Brite, Connaught, Tucker, and Hank. That was pre Athens when they ran the 2 divisions.

Foxygrl516
Mar. 13, 2008, 05:19 PM
Won't there be a Practical Horseman come out before Rolex that has a little write-up about all of the horses/riders? I know I remember those from the past, but can't remember when it comes out.

I can't wait for Rolex! I'm SO excited!!! This is my first year grooming at Rolex :) I can't wait for that big gorgeous gray to go in for the jog on Wednesday. :-D So exciting!

RunForIt
Mar. 13, 2008, 05:24 PM
Won't there be a Practical Horseman come out before Rolex that has a little write-up about all of the horses/riders? I know I remember those from the past, but can't remember when it comes out.

I can't wait for Rolex! I'm SO excited!!! This is my first year grooming at Rolex :) I can't wait for that big gorgeous gray to go in for the jog on Wednesday. :-D So exciting!

no, darlin' that's COTH! and Jimmy Wofford's take on each horse...:cool:

Foxygrl516
Mar. 13, 2008, 06:36 PM
lol! I knew that... When I thought about it today I was trying to remember when it comes out and for some reason PH kept coming to mind b/c they have a Rolex issue *after* Rolex (which is why I was confused about when the issue I am talking about comes out). You'll have to forgive me. I've never claimed to be "with it". haha! :) I'm always excited to get my horse magazines in the mail, but I won't claim to keep them all separate in my mind. ;) SO, when does the Rolex issue of COTH come out? (Thanks, RunForIt)

Foxtrot's
Mar. 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think the horse referred to that Theresa Washtock bought from the track was Aristotle that she rode at the Atlanta Games.

carovet
Mar. 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
InVA isn't really bashing Woody - she secretly loves him and KOC! Isn't that right?

Its a testament to these rider's team (vet, farrier, groom) and their programs that any of them can get an horse in their mid to upper teens to Rolex!

I will be attending Rolex again this year and I can't wait!!! Maybe last time I was there was the year it rained like hell and Bruce skipped around with Little Tricky? Now that was some ridiculous spectating! I asked him afterwards what he was thinking heading out in those conditions and he said "I was thinking I can't wait to get out there on that course with my fabulouse horse" ...something along those lines.

Ahh, I'm so excited! It will be a very exciting year being an Olympic year. Wish Toddy was coming over instead of going to Badders. Anyone have any other insight as to who is coming from across the pond?

that run with little tricky was freakin amazing! it was soup for footing but it looked like a jaunt through the woods on a pretty summer day.

Shrapnel
Mar. 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
there will be more riders from across the pond than you think! especially since the WEG is here in about 2 years!!

Blugal
Mar. 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
I think the horse referred to that Theresa Washtock bought from the track was Aristotle that she rode at the Atlanta Games.

Yes, and she also purchased Livingstone (Hank) as an OTTB prior to Hawley owning him.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 14, 2008, 06:37 AM
that run with little tricky was freakin amazing! it was soup for footing but it looked like a jaunt through the woods on a pretty summer day.

Say, carovet, what year was that? I remember deciding not to buy the video, but now I'd like to.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
Say, carovet, what year was that? I remember deciding not to buy the video, but now I'd like to.

2002 :)

justdream2ride
Mar. 14, 2008, 01:25 PM
I am starting to see a pattern here - 2002 was WET WET WET - then wasn't 2005 the same way??? I wonder if it is on a three year cycle?? :)

AppJumpr08
Mar. 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
lol seems like it rains every year there.

Though '02 was brutal.. not bad on thursday and friday as I recall.. a big muggy and warm, but no rain... friday night (I think) they evacuated all of us in the campground and made us stay in the cinderblock bathrooms because the storms coming through were forecast to be That Bad. Saturday it POURED - never used studs that big before or since..I had to race up to the Bit of Britain tent to get a few more big studs because there wern't enough in the stud kit to go around... even so, they were swimming in the mud. Sunday was chilly and windy...made for exciting show jumping for sure :D

gillenwaterfarm
Mar. 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
I was there for the 2002 downpour. Competitors were withdrawing left and right, and spectators were leaving in masses due to the rain. But those of us who stuck it out were treated to Bruce and Tricky. I watched him go through the Hollow. It was so amazing. They made it look like a BN course. I rank that to be one of the top five rides of all time.

DLee
Mar. 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
What was the year David OC went around in that huge downpour? :eek:

GreystoneKC
Mar. 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
Funny. I didn't really *get* the Rolex thing. Even after a year of becoming an actual eventer. Well, ish. Everyone's getting so excited over it and counting down and planning Chinese food parties, etc... and I've never been there, an probably won't go this year (but one does never know...).

-----Then it hit me----

I changed the word ROLEX to the word DEVON and it all became SOOOOO CLEAR!!!! LOL

I started getting excited for Devon a month ago! Now that the prize list is out and entries are almost due, it takes everything in me to be patient!

No I completely understand. I just had to figure out how to tie h/j land into event land and it all made perfect sense! LOL

jumpxc
Mar. 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
What was the year David OC went around in that huge downpour? :eek:

That was in 1990. He was riding Wilton Fair. He ended up winning but it was a questionable clean round xc as Wilton Fair did a double take at the ditch in the sinkhole.

Amy

Shrapnel
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
Teddy is now on the list!

DLee
Mar. 18, 2008, 11:50 AM
Teddy is now on the list!

Yay! I would have been disappointed to not see him again!

Shrapnel
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Still not many entries...let's keep our fingers crossed that many more come in!!

JMarcyQuay
Mar. 20, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm pleased, a rather young rider that I took lessons from a few years ago when I was a pre-teen is entered for the first time. Yay! Good for her. :)

imissvixen
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
Whose photos are those on the home page of the Rolex website? I think I know ...

snoopy
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
Whose photos are those on the home page of the Rolex website? I think I know ...

Michelle Dunn is the photographer

imissvixen
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:00 PM
I am asking who is the person in the photos?

NeverTime
Mar. 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
Clayton Fredericks and Ben Along Time. They won last year.

Sannois
Mar. 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
Does Jimmy Wofford still do his picks for Rolex?? Thats always interesting reading! :yes:

TexasTB
Mar. 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
Just noticed that an Area V'er has entered for Rolex.. always exciting when someone from our small corner of the eventing world hits the big time

Also interesting to note is that WFP isn't entered for Rolex.. I would have thought he would, considering he won Burghley and might have had a shot at the Grand Slam

eventer15
Mar. 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
Just noticed that an Area V'er has entered for Rolex.. always exciting when someone from our small corner of the eventing world hits the big time

Also interesting to note is that WFP isn't entered for Rolex.. I would have thought he would, considering he won Burghley and might have had a shot at the Grand Slam

hmm, I figured he would... that is interesting

vineyridge
Mar. 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
hmm, I figured he would... that is interesting

Given that this is an Olympic year, maybe WFP is saving a horse or two.

LessonLearned
Mar. 24, 2008, 09:44 PM
There a definite lack of an international field this year.

I understand the Olympic year issue, but the field is a little low. I guess we have one more day to see if any more entries roll in. . .:confused:

LAZ
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:16 PM
Ian Stark's daughter is getting married that weekend as well--don't know if that effects any of the Brits coming over or not.

Shrapnel
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:33 PM
I just find it interesting that none of the top international riders that have multiple mounts are on the entry list (that live/train overseas).

I hope more send in an entry late!!

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 25, 2008, 12:03 AM

How old is Jazzy now?

I remember doing the CCI* (long format) with him at NAYRC back in 2000 and 2001 (I groomed for her teammate that year) and I think Megan did the CCI** (LF) in 2002 and I swore he was 10 or 12 then. I knew Megan, the girl that took him up to Int. and then sold him, very well.

I am so happy to see he is still sound :)

boppin along
Mar. 25, 2008, 01:03 AM
Just saw the list, where are all the International riders?
Why not Leslie Law or the other Brits????

saje
Mar. 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
I would imagine that the final list won't be up for some time after the closing date. I would also imagine that late entries are not unheard of, even at **** level ;)

Jupes
Mar. 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have any inside info on Bruce Davidson's Rolex plans? We love watching him; he's one of our favorites, and he's not on the entry list (yet). Until the final list is posted, does anyone have the scoop?

NeverTime
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
I don't think Bruce has a **** horse at the moment, since selling Jam.

I'm so excited to see Sarah Hansel's name on there. Go Sarah!!!!!

And a lot more international entries now, though still not the number of Brits you would usually expect.

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think Bruce has a **** horse at the moment, since selling Jam.

I'm so excited to see Sarah Hansel's name on there. Go Sarah!!!!!

And a lot more international entries now, though still not the number of Brits you would usually expect.

Woohoo GO SARAH H!!!! She was on my NAYRC-CH** team!! Now I have a reason to watch Rolex.

eponacowgirl
Mar. 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
Have we talked about KOC on Bad Boy Billy yet? I'm kinda out of the loop, so maybe they're old news and I just missed the memo, but it'll be interesting to see him go around without Ralph! Hopefully he'll be there cheering his mount on, though!

KBG Eventer
Mar. 26, 2008, 01:31 PM
I know she has been competing him for a little while now. Wynn posted a video of her riding him during stadium at the begining of the season in FL (doing Prelim). I am very excited because we are probably going now to watch for the first time! Because of my dad's traveling he can get us in at one of the Hilton chain hotels.

Bensmom
Mar. 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Billy has been with Karen a little while now and is doing great! Well enough to get on the list for KY! :D

Sadly, though, I suppose it is appropriate for me to draw attention to it, Woody is now off the list. As I said earlier in this thread, if Karen decided it was in his best interest not to go to Rolex, he wouldn't go.

After S. Pines last weekend, Woody said he doesn't really want to go, so as he has spoken, Karen has decided that he won't go. :( While I'm sad, I know that Karen and the rest of her team will do only the best for Woody and at this point, that includes him not going to Rolex. <sigh>

I can't seem to convince anyone though, that it is time for him to come carry my butt around at BN! :lol: :lol:

Libby (who still thinks he is so awesome!)

TexasTB
Mar. 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
How old is Jazzy now?

I remember doing the CCI* (long format) with him at NAYRC back in 2000 and 2001 (I groomed for her teammate that year) and I think Megan did the CCI** (LF) in 2002 and I swore he was 10 or 12 then. I knew Megan, the girl that took him up to Int. and then sold him, very well.

I am so happy to see he is still sound :)

What a nice story :)

I don't know either horse nor rider personally, I just recognize them from seeing them at horse trials in our area, so I can't comment in his age.

DLee
Mar. 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
There are more international entries today, and (feeling ignorant) what is CRO?

tuppysmom
Mar. 26, 2008, 10:11 PM
CRO is Croatia

Shrapnel
Mar. 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
POLLY STOCKTON IS NOW ENTERED!!!! :D

eqsiu
Mar. 27, 2008, 12:43 AM
Doesn't Buck have anything going? What about Hoy Law and fox-pitt?

TBCollector
Mar. 27, 2008, 03:48 AM
Oooh....now THAT'S a gorgeous horse.
Glad to see Rampant Lion on the list, too. I knew him back when he was a (damned good) racehorse. I guess he's been competing in Europe?

TwoStar3Day
Mar. 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
Entered in Badminton..... But only two will comptete... Last year's Rolex winner Clayton Fredericks also has horses entered in Badminton.

woodstock
Mar. 27, 2008, 06:02 PM
So Thrilled for Sarah Hansel- yea! She's my college buddy- I remember when she first got Q. I just knew it was a matter of time-one of the best ever natural talents! I have always fully believed she WILL make it to the Olympics some day. Yeah, yeah, yeah! I'll totally have to get a complete copy of this year's competition. Can you tell I'm excited for her?!

LessonLearned
Mar. 27, 2008, 06:12 PM
I find it depressing that Badminton has so many entries they are wait listing, when we are struggling to make 50 riders.

One of these days I will make it across the pond for one of the great competitions (alas, I almost did two years ago when I won a trip to Burghley and couldn't go because I was the maid of honor in my best friend's (pink-- blech) wedding).

It seems like the field here gets smaller and smaller every year, though :(

TexasTB
Apr. 7, 2008, 01:34 AM
Karen O'Connor has entered with Bad Boy Billy!

Jazzy Lady
Apr. 7, 2008, 08:54 AM
Jonny Holling has Dun To a T entered!!! I hope he has a fantastic ride. I just love that big horse.

Sannois
Apr. 8, 2008, 06:57 AM

Wasn't that a ride of Ralphs a few years ago?
I have not been to Rolex since 2000 but I have to say I will be sad not to see Ralph ride. he is SUCh a joy to watch! :) He Loves it! Praying he will recover fully to one day do it again!

Shrapnel
Apr. 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
Just noticed Mara Dean isn't on the list anymore :(

NRB
Apr. 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
Whoa hey Teddy's entered. Cool.

TBCollector
Apr. 10, 2008, 08:47 PM
Rampant Lion's off the list, too. :(

Sannois
Apr. 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
Isn't there a virtual CC course on the site? I cant seem to find it. :eek:

zagafi
Apr. 11, 2008, 03:08 PM

I just looked and it seems he's not listed anymore. DRAT!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 11, 2008, 09:52 PM
I find it depressing that Badminton has so many entries they are wait listing, when we are struggling to make 50 riders.

It seems like the field here gets smaller and smaller every year, though :(

A big reason that badmiton has more wait listed riders than usual this year is that for the first time they have removed the entry fee...aka It's free.

So more than the normal people have entered. Also remember that at badmiton, a rider is only allowed to ride 2 horses. So if you're Andrew Nicholson and you have 5 potential mounts, but aren't sure which will be peaking at the right time, with a free entry you can enter all 5 and figure out who goes there, who goes to Bramham, who goes whereever, when its much closer to the event. But at least that way all the possible horses you could ride are entered in.

~Emily

goodymar1188
Apr. 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
Jon Holling's Lion King is now off the list too...

imissvixen
Apr. 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
I think if you really want to see more riders at Rolex there has to be free entry fees and some sort of stipend for competing -- at minimum. Professional baseball players don't pay their way to play in baseball games, why should our upper level competitors have to grub for money in order to compete at the prestigious events?

denny
Apr. 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
I think another killer is how much it now costs to ship a horse from Europe. Isn`t it about $8,000 each way, or more, with the weak dollar?
That would make Europeans think twice, I`d imagine, about hopping on a plane to Kentucky.

snoopy
Apr. 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
I think another killer is how much it now costs to ship a horse from Europe. Isn`t it about $8,000 each way, or more, with the weak dollar?
That would make Europeans think twice, I`d imagine, about hopping on a plane to Kentucky.

Yes but the weak dollar works in the favour of the euopeans....For UK riders that 8000.00 each way becomes 8000.00 round trip. Friends have recently come over and thought they were Rockefellers, buying cloths by the handful because it works out so much cheaper for them.
But then again, prize money would be halved once they cross back to europe. This is another reason that some I know are buying OUR advanced horses because the exchange works in their favour.
But this is an olympic year...if they have some problem at Badminton then they have Bramham and Lumuhlen to enter should needs be. Outside of the weak dollar being an incentive, the travel becomes a big issue because there are other options open to them. I do feel with Lumuhlen upgrading to four star will have a damaging effect on Rolex. They do not have to wait for an autumn four star...or indeed another early season four star should they need it for qualification for any championships that year. It really does not make sense to come over to the US anymore.
With the rumoured new four star in the autumn in GA, then I am sure we will be seeing less travel by US riders to burghley in the autumn...except maybe for those who ship to the UK on a short list and are not choosen...then are free to run Burghley or Blenheim.
Another reason I feel entries are down for rolex is the amount of runs horses are doing now so early in the season, that combined with vERY demanding training camps in between and we have horses that are used up before Rolex even arrives. Look at the amount of horses that will ship to the UK before the olympics...the reason being that even if they are sound enough to make the trip, we do usually lose alot to lameness closer to the championships. Most European countries will not name so many to a "short" list as they lose far fewer before a major championships.
Again, I question the amount of work we are asking our advanced horses to perform so early in the season.

NeverTime
Apr. 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
I seriously doubt the Rolex entry fee is the issue. Rolex costs $100 to enter, plus $20 for stabling.
That's half the cost of a shoeing for these guys, less than a tank of diesel for the truck they haul with, a third of what they pay to enter just one of the horse trials they complete on the way to this point ... that's a tiny drop the bucket.

snoopy
Apr. 13, 2008, 08:47 AM
I seriously doubt the Rolex entry fee is the issue. Rolex costs $100 to enter, plus $20 for stabling.
That's half the cost of a shoeing for these guys, less than a tank of diesel for the truck they haul with, a third of what they pay to enter just one of the horse trials they complete on the way to this point ... that's a tiny drop the bucket.

Agreed....the entry is the least of the worry....if you have a horse fit and ready, you will find the entry money. I see the problem being that we are losing "fit and ready horses" far too early in the season.

closetoperfectionfarm
Apr. 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
Anyone know why Clark Montgomery is not on the list? He is cleaning up this year! Perhaps his horse is not qualified?
Don't the horse and rider "as a combination" need to qualify, and if so, how can John Holling ride Darren's Dun To A T?

c_expresso
Apr. 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone know why Clark Montgomery is not on the list? He is cleaning up this year! Perhaps his horse is not qualified?
Don't the horse and rider "as a combination" need to qualify, and if so, how can John Holling ride Darren's Dun To A T?

I think as long as both the rider and horse are qualified they don't need to do it together.

tuppysmom
Apr. 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
True, the entry fee is $100 due to the great fundraising that the EEI people do, but the stabling is $20 per night and the tack stall is also $20 per night. Still it's a bargin when you compare it to any other FEI competition.

GreyDun
Apr. 13, 2008, 10:42 AM
Clark & Jess are going to Europe to train for a bit - great opportunity for them! :)

imissvixen
Apr. 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Well, obviously it isn't the entry fee in and of itself that is prohibitive but it is the overall cost of getting a horse and rider to Rolex. Other professional sports compensate their athletes to ensure that there is a steady pipeline of talent to keep the sport interesting for spectators who then make it interesting for sponsors who then feed money back into the system, and so on.

Andy Roddick gets appearance fees for many of the tennis tournaments he plays in to assure that he competes which then assures the sponsors and spectators that there is going to be someone there of interest to watch. It is like the circle of life.

Instead of kvetching about CMP as an individual, those interested in furthering the sport of eventing need to take a more integrated and holistic view of the strategy underlying this sport, particularly its economics. A good framework is McKinsey's 7S's - style, structure, systems, staff, etc. At this point, there is a very fundamental flaw to the business model.

But, truth be told, other than having some good friends who like the sport, I am not a particular fan. So, having shared my two cents which I know is coming from left field, I will respectfully withdraw myself from the conversation.

flutie1
Apr. 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
"Again, I question the amount of work we are asking our advanced horses to perform so early in the season."

I totally agree. It ends up being the last man (horse) standing who may - or may not - be the most talented.

shea'smom
Apr. 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
I am surprised at the comments that think Rolex is early in the season. These are experienced event horses, they need only a few runs to be ready. The season now starts in January, doesn't it. And some many events to choose from now.
The weather is usually good, not too hot. So I think it is the ideal time to run.

pwynnnorman
Apr. 13, 2008, 08:30 PM
It's a week earlier than Badminton and they start...What? A month or so later than we do? I think I remember reading somewhere that most Brits start in legging up in February. Do I remember that correctly?

Blugal
Apr. 13, 2008, 08:43 PM
In my experience, it was January. But that was literally pulling them out of the fields, clipping them, and starting them walking on the roads. No competitions until March at least.

wabadou
Apr. 13, 2008, 09:40 PM
With the rumoured new four star in the autumn in GA, then I am sure we will be seeing less travel by US riders to burghley in the autumn...except maybe for those who ship to the UK on a short list and are not choosen...then are free to run Burghley or Blenheim.

Snoopy,
What GA venue is considering a 4 star? Chattahoochee? Poplar?
Would love to know as I've missed this information somehow, even though we're in Area III. That would be very exciting for Area III!