PDA

View Full Version : Oddest comment/score on a dressage test

scubed
Mar. 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
So generally, when I get my (usually not great) dressage tests back, I have a mixture of "yeah, I knew that" and "oh, excellent comment" about what the judge has to say, but every now and then....

Example - riding preliminary at Wayne, my horse does what I, my trainer, another BNT with whom I had cliniced a fair bit and another friend all thought was a better than usual test for him (with which the judge agreed) and a really excellent free walk. I was thinking, "wow, with luck I could even imagine an 8 on this" (he would usually get 6s, an occassional 7on the free walk). Get the test back, the comment for the free walk was "good stretch, overstep and march, walk too springy" score - 3. Huh:confused:

Anyone else

wannabegifted
Mar. 5, 2008, 03:49 PM
wow.
My two favorite personal comments on dressage tests:

#1 -OTTB, intermediate test. horse was never happy about dressage and would often spaz. Doing a medium canter down the long side...well...trying. Comment from judge "nice canter half pass...too bad was supposed to be a medium"

#2 - my very relaxed ISH. LOOOOVES to stretch down into the bridle in free walk... a little too much comment from judge "NO GRAZING!!!!"

mjrtango93
Mar. 5, 2008, 03:54 PM
I just had one this weekend that made myself, and my trainer go :confused: Owen was very well behaved, stretching into the bridle, but still green so we had a few Stevie Wonder moments. Movement was good, no big dis-obedience just some above the contact moments. Judge marks accordingly but in the collective marks, and in 3 different sections of the test says....... "neck to narrow".....

I have been around long enough and still 5 days later cannot figure out what this comment means. I understand neck to short, too long.....but to narrow? Am I supposed to give him steriods to pump him up. Sorry he is mostly TB and all but a narrow neck?????

ef80
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm primarily a Jumper rider, but one year there was no H/J show in a particular month. My friends had been pressuring me to do at least ONE event and so we did!

My horse knew his job as a Jumper quite well so the dressage test was going to be quite an experience for the both of us. We got our bell and made our way to X. Straight, brilliant trot, wonderfully square halt - on the score sheet we got an 8! With an entrance like that, you'd expect us to have nothing but flowery praise and wonderful marks but that was not to be the case.

You see, while my court signaled with a bell, the court next 10 feet away started with a whistle. I didn't know this until I was halted at X, head bowed in my salute. I could feel the switch in my jumper's head turn "This must be some kinda flat-class... Oh wait, WHISTLE! I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! GO GO GO! AFTERBURNERS ENGAGE!"

On the video tape you can see the panic cross my face as my horse mentally prepares to kick it in to high gear. I put on the best smile I can, retake my reins and together jig/wiggle/dance/snort my way down to C.

The test was horrible. Without a doubt the worst Dressage test in the history of man. I think the woman who almost fell off got a better score. Our canter M-X-K with a simple change at X was more of a serpentine beginning somewhere around M demonstrating our new upper-level movements that were dubbed after my test "attempties" - some sort of strange leg-yield, flying change buck combinatons.

Somewhere along the line, horror gave over to amusement at the absurdity of the entire situation and I started cracking up. I laughed my way thru the last 3/4 of the test

Some of the judges comments from my dressage test -
About my 'attempties': "Yeehaw buckaroo! :) With some straightness those will make nice tempis one day."
And my favorite: "Exuberant and joyful. Tactful ride on what looks to be quite a firecracker!"

Rabbit351w
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:25 PM
my OTTB looooves dressage, and we generally do very well... except the free walk. it sucks. i know it sucks. Tests of mostly 8s and a few 7s get complimented by a 4 on the free walk. Every.single.time. :( Well, at one show the judge, in what i like to tell myself was an attempt at a compliment wrote "very nice horse, too bad about the walk!" :lol:

deltawave
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
Kelly once got the comment "fussy head" on each and every dressage test for a period of about two years running. Think it was a persistent problem? :lol:

Firefilly
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:32 PM
On a quarter horse that was VERY hard to handle and keep at a walk, never mind any downward transitions, and had a sewing machine trot when she got going, I would get comments like "Well ridden test on difficult horse" and stuff like that.

On my thoroughbred now, who despises dressage ( we had to do it though as we were in Pony Club and doing eventing) the test had all fairly low marks.... not dead last, but not great either. The one and only comment from the judge was "Keep Trying". LOL That was all he said :D

lizathenag
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:34 PM
movement-3
disobedience-8

Ishi
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:39 PM
I had a Hanoverian that usually got high 20s low 30s in dressage, he was wonderful and fun in dressage. At one HT we had our typical nice test, watched the video of it, and thought it would be a low 30s kind of test. We got a 45 and the ONLY comment on the whole test was, "Horse too big to be an event horse"

I was horrified and so embarrassed. That horse went on to win best conditioned horse once at a T3D (and won the T3D too!), took me to my first Prelim (we were 4th) and taught me a ton. He could be tricky on cross country, almost always clean in stadium, and loved dressage. Good thing he didn't know a huge white imported horse was too big for eventing, even at Prelim :D But I will never forget that judge's comment!

Ibex
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:40 PM
The mare I used to lease hated mud. After we had a warm-up indoor we headed outside into some pretty squelchy footing and she was PISSED. Yes, she is a hothouse flower. She's usually super forgiving and willing in a dressage test, but this time she subtly stated her annoyence at every single freakin' step (i.e. I'd put my leg on, and she'd lean right back. She never does that!). Everyone who knows her was laughing, but the judge would have had no way to know.

Comments?

"Willing horse. Rider needs to improve". :o

I swear the mare laughed all the way back to the barn.

Beam Me Up
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:42 PM
under collectives:
"very naughty horse"

on a canter down the long side:
"tempi changes unnecessary"

also under collectives:
"horse and rider need to understand fundamental principles of dressage"
(ouch! I think it was less an understanding issue there--more of an execution problem)

JSwan
Mar. 5, 2008, 05:00 PM
"Teach your horse to be QUIET!"

(on a friends score sheet)

NeverTime
Mar. 5, 2008, 05:31 PM
In the collectives on a friends' test, in which the scores ranged from 4 to 8:

"Some parts were really OK."

Generally, "OK" doesn't get qualified by "really," so what exactly does "really OK" mean? As in 'the rest were really atrocious' or 'some parts were really mediocre!'

Odd...

enjoytheride
Mar. 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
RIDER is a VERY BRAVE woman with good coping skills, horse is disobedient and athletic.

Bravestrom
Mar. 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
I had a Hanoverian that usually got high 20s low 30s in dressage, he was wonderful and fun in dressage. At one HT we had our typical nice test, watched the video of it, and thought it would be a low 30s kind of test. We got a 45 and the ONLY comment on the whole test was, "Horse too big to be an event horse"

What a horrible mean comment - good for you to continue on. I think that judge should be reprimanded for that comment. They are not there to tell you whether the horse is an event horse - they are there to judge the test only. That comment is far beyond inappropriate.

I ride a draft cross - he is a big guy - 17hh 1600 lbs - yeah he is big but we have a ball together. Check him out at www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses.htm

seeuatx
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
In general comments a judge once wrote, "Well.... That was FLAMBOYANT" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I should have had that test framed.

Ishi
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well, that test was at a HT in Colorado that is a little odd, been around forever and ever, and the people who run it, are...different ;) I bet everyone in Area IX know which HT I'm talking about though :D

Just for fun, this is the big horse (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Aberdeen/Nate_KHP-4.jpg) in question, he was 17 hands and bigger, but not the biggest horse out there, and I'm 5'10. At times he could be a little hard to turn in stadium, but I never had issue with making time, not ever after we moved up. I would have loved to go intermediate on this horse, but, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. This was our first prelim (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Aberdeen/NatePrelimAspenRidge.jpg) together.

I've had some colorful comments on other tests, on other horses, but all were pretty much expected, like a tactful ride here, and fit horse there, but those make me giggle looking back on the tests quickly deleting the video of them :lol:

justblu
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:40 PM
"Have you considered tennis lessons?" along with a score of 67 from Jack LeGoff. Although the score was very correct given the test I'd ridden, I didn't stop crying for three days after I read that score sheet. Luckily it really motivated me to improve my dressage (and eventually start to enjoy it).

3horsemom
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
we bought my daughter a 17 y.o. appendix that had been very successful at prelim as her first horse when she was 10. he is 16.2 and a solidly built guy. dd looked like a little circus monkey riding around on him.
horse had been standing in a pasture for years after a less than successful career as a foxhunter(apparently he liked to past the master of the hunt). we cleaned him up, plopped dd on his back and off they went to ride the bn test. i swear this horse knew what was up and immediately rounded up and the two of them produced a very quiet steady test. when dd got her test back the judge had written "lovely test. NEVER sell this horse."
and we haven't nor will we ever. and we did frame the test.

scubed
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:48 PM
I also once got a score of 6 and the comment "nice recovery" after the previous move's score of 3 with the comment of "bolting is not in the test" when my young OTTB saw his stablemate in the ring right next to us.

carrie_girl
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
I got the comment "bravely ridden" for a particularly exuberant canter lengthening. I also once got "horse tries hard" which I decided to take as a compliment, because it was actually quite true of that boy.

kookicat
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
On my big lad when he was having a pissy day 'Tactful ride. Horse needs to relax more. Face pulling not required.'

I think that was the understatement of the year. I think the judge meant that the horse was pulling faces, not me....

imapepper
Mar. 5, 2008, 06:58 PM
I took my mare to a "Ride A Test" clinic last weekend. She had never done a dressage test. But since I have been thinking about eventing her, I figured that it would be fun. Well she is a bit hot sometimes and on the transition to working walk, we got a jig which continued into our freewalk until X. Then she relaxed and did a pretty acceptable freewalk.

The comment was "piddly paddly piddly paddly piddly paddly until X then nice stretch" :lol: For whatever reason, it struck me as really funny. And after the test, the judge worked with us a little bit. It was a lot of fun really but she did comment on how carefully my mare needed to be ridden :) I think she was very generous with her scores but her comments cracked me up :lol:

west5
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:07 PM
You see, while my court signaled with a bell, the court next 10 feet away started with a whistle. I could feel the switch in my jumper's head turn "This must be some kinda flat-class... Oh wait, WHISTLE! I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! GO GO GO! AFTERBURNERS ENGAGE!"

The test was horrible. Without a doubt the worst Dressage test in the history of man. I think the woman who almost fell off got a better score.
Somewhere along the line, horror gave over to amusement at the absurdity of the entire situation and I started cracking up. I laughed my way thru the last 3/4 of the test
"

ef80, If it makes you feel any better I have performed the exact same test also on a jumper.
Judge's comment "I'm not sure how to score that"
My response was "just put me last"
At least I kept all 4 feet inside the arena

I too spent most of the test cracking up.
The mare was just zipping around saying "I heard the whistle, where the heck is the first fence!"

SEPowell
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:15 PM
I've probably ridden in 10 events in my life and all on OTTBs. My most memorable comment was "Fastest test in history". :lol:

FlightCheck
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:26 PM
in reference to a trot lengthening on a 15.1 QH

"lengthening would be better if horse had longer legs"

ya think????

eSpresso
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
1) I got "Explosive" as comment going into a canter transition.

2) This isn't quite a comment on a test, but a question of 'THEN WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!'
I went to the AEC's in '06 and had one of the worlds crappiest tests (Aka set last place after dressage).
I got the 2007 issue 4 Eventing magazine, and was reading about how to boost up your dressage scores, like the things that judges were actually looking for, and for the example of the free walk picture, was my horse and I (http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x194/HahaHillary/Fei%20papers/Fei.jpg). I was utterly shocked, because I have never gotten anything higher than a 6 on a freewalk, usually a 5 with my TB mare. I was even more confused, because out of all the people who've ever gotten their photographs taken during dressage, they choose mine, the girl who never gets more than a 6 on her test.
The juges gave me scores of:
6- shows some correct stretch
5- nice (something) fairly active hollow (something) (scribe was a bit illegible)

I was so confused.

ef80- what a good story :D

FenRidge
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:45 PM
"Looks unsafe" on my canter, it was my first HT.

I knew that in dressage a higher score was better, when I looked at posted results before seeing my test and I had an 80, I was thinking to myself Wow!

This was back in the Day when Novice use Training Test 1 and dressage counted for more but it was a horrible test.

wabadou
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:52 PM
comment for a friend's husband who decided to take his field hunter to a HT
"Don't give up...get help.."

daughter's 1st BN test, horse a bit tense but very accurate...or so we thought...
"nice effort" "well turned out"....

yventer
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:55 PM
I had a judge at a recognized show actually lean out of her car to comment to me "Well, if you can only have two good gaits, walk and canter are the ones to have." I responded that I knew my horse trotted like a constipated goat but I was hoping for improvement ;->

It has, BTW.

I also had a scribe translate a British judge's comment on a trot circle as "Slightly horrid"!!! What the judge *had* said was "slightly hurried" :->>>>

CBinVT
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:02 PM
My old mare had the best remarks. Dressage was to be performed in the warm-up and at home NOT in the actual ring, we did have some instances were we had good tests though. My favorite was "Nice horse, have fun cross-country" this was only to be complemented by having the judge comment the same thing about her looking like a blast to jump as we were leaving the ring. If only all dressage judges had a sense of humor like that :D

allpurpose
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm primarily a Jumper rider, but one year there was no H/J show in a particular month. My friends had been pressuring me to do at least ONE event and so we did!

My horse knew his job as a Jumper quite well so the dressage test was going to be quite an experience for the both of us. We got our bell and made our way to X. Straight, brilliant trot, wonderfully square halt - on the score sheet we got an 8! With an entrance like that, you'd expect us to have nothing but flowery praise and wonderful marks but that was not to be the case.

You see, while my court signaled with a bell, the court next 10 feet away started with a whistle. I didn't know this until I was halted at X, head bowed in my salute. I could feel the switch in my jumper's head turn "This must be some kinda flat-class... Oh wait, WHISTLE! I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! GO GO GO! AFTERBURNERS ENGAGE!"

On the video tape you can see the panic cross my face as my horse mentally prepares to kick it in to high gear. I put on the best smile I can, retake my reins and together jig/wiggle/dance/snort my way down to C.

The test was horrible. Without a doubt the worst Dressage test in the history of man. I think the woman who almost fell off got a better score. Our canter M-X-K with a simple change at X was more of a serpentine beginning somewhere around M demonstrating our new upper-level movements that were dubbed after my test "attempties" - some sort of strange leg-yield, flying change buck combinatons.

Some of the judges comments from my dressage test -
About my 'attempties': "Yeehaw buckaroo! :) With some straightness those will make nice tempis one day."
And my favorite: "Exuberant and joyful. Tactful ride on what looks to be quite a firecracker!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Love this story!

CBinVT
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:03 PM
My old mare had the best remarks. Dressage was to be performed in the warm-up and at home NOT in the actual ring, we did have some instances were we had good tests though. My favorite was "Nice horse, have fun cross-country" this was only to be complemented by having the judge comment the same thing about her looking so much fun to jump as we were leaving the ring. If only all dressage judges had a sense of humor like that :D

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, I'll play...

Last year my 8 month OTTB stallion at his very first event...judges comment: "Consistently Inconsistent" :lol:

LAZ
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
I took an event horse to a schooling dressage show as his dressage with his owner is usually pretty abyssmal at events, in spite of the horse being a really nice mover.

I found the relaxed, freely forward horse I was riding in warmup turned into a tense, rushing bozo as soon as the judge rang the bell, and kept loosening him up and softening him up so as not to get run off with (he's a 17.1 ISH) and try to provide a pleasant ride for him so he could relax.

Remark from Karen Winn (who I've known forever):

Lots of bending and counterbending. I'm sure you have your reasons.

I just cracked up when I read it...

HiJumpGrrl
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:18 PM
The "you're brave" comments always crack me up. I have gotten "thank you for trying" or "keep working" or something to that effect... My proudest moment ever was when I was able to keep from screwing the mare up enough that she got a 9 on her free walk. She has a fabulous walk, I just get in the way. She grabbed a mouthful of grass on her way out of the arena, just to congratulate herself.

olympicdreams04
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
Excepts from on of my fave judges both to scribe and ride for the imfamous Mr. BW:
"Horse appears to have swallowed a cavaletti."
"Periscope neck."
"The quote is "one foot in the DOOR" not "in the ring"."
Personally, I often hear "lovely half pass/tempi changes/piaffe...too bad it's Novice/Training level."
My mare, more than once, has gotten the comment "Obedient but disenchanted."
Hehehe.

TXAuburnTiger
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
My favorite: Long time ago - Prelim test on my OTTB who spooked as I was doing a simple change and lept sideways across the arena in two big steps.

Comment: "interesting attempt."

Well...I was attempting to hang on and stay in the arena. I couldn't care less about the change at that moment, but I'm glad the judge was amused! lol!!

IrishDeclan
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:51 PM
I had a wonderful Dutch mare several years ago who was an absolute jumping machine. She had been imported from Holland where she had been quite successful in the jumpers. Once imported she was started in eventing by a professional and had jumped around 3 or 4 Prelims when I bought her. She also had wonderful movement which was completely wasted because she was like riding a 2 by 4 on the flat. We spent several years leaping and bucking through our dressage tests. We were almost always in last place after dressage, except on those rare occasions where somebody else would be sharing last place with me. It was all worth it though because she was such a safe wonderful jumper. I remember one particular dressage test at Pine Top one year. We had our usual horrible dressage test which put us in 16th (last) place. On my test, the judge had written, "Lovely quality horse, but not quite ready for the level". We were only running NOVICE!!!! I still laugh about that comment to this day!!

regeventer
Mar. 6, 2008, 06:51 AM
Well, my American dumblood for a long time would fuss at picking up the right lead canter as well as other, let's just say, greenie things. (Can you imagine a bay giraffe?)
So on the comments one test, after a whopper of a buck picking up said right lead canter, the judge wrote,"beautiful horse, but very, well, opinionated!"
Hmmmmmm.

NMK
Mar. 6, 2008, 08:56 AM
I had such a dramatic entrance at Erie that the judge asked me if I would like to start over. I am sure she thought something was going on outside of her trailer to set him off like that. He excels in performing maneuvers never meant for the ring with the letters.

DogwoodValleyFarm
Mar. 6, 2008, 10:08 AM
I was a scorer at a show with Axel Steiner as a judge. His comments were succinct and to the point. The outchiest one I remember was:
Not Ready For Prime Time.

Erin Pittman
Mar. 6, 2008, 04:11 PM
When I was taking a dressage class in college, we had to do a dressage test for our midterm exam. I was riding a beast of a mare that had been off for about 6 months prior to my riding her. We had to do a free walk across the diagonal but that meant walking away from the other horses in the class. She absolutely refused, stopped and then started backing up (with me kicking and practically throwing the reins away). Finally the teacher (aka judge) had another student go over to the other side of the dressage ring so my *&%$ horse would see another equine and move forward. I was dreading my grade...the comment for the free walk was "Nice walk." :confused::confused: Maybe she was watching someone else...

Foxtrot's
Mar. 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
Back to the OP : 3 for a walk on loose rein that was too "springy", even though it was long with overtrack. Please explain, if anybody can.

Anyone could tell this was an eventing thread by your attitudes to the scores on your tests - humorous, if aghast.

Candle
Mar. 6, 2008, 04:32 PM
I had a judge at a recognized show actually lean out of her car to comment to me "Well, if you can only have two good gaits, walk and canter are the ones to have." I responded that I knew my horse trotted like a constipated goat but I was hoping for improvement ;->

It has, BTW.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

snoopy
Mar. 6, 2008, 04:48 PM
That horse would be more useful with a cart behind it. But then again I did know this judge.

Wellspotted
Mar. 6, 2008, 04:55 PM
ef80--

sounds like a new version of the Amazing New Dressage Test!

Peggy
Mar. 7, 2008, 12:55 AM
"did you mean to ride the whole test in shoulder-in" - yes, as a matter of fact

"hard to tell" as a comment for the collective score for gaits (same horse as above)

"next stop Vienna?" for a friend's horse who performed numerous airs above the ground during his test

"courageous ride" when I got launched by Cool the master bucker, re-mounted, and finished the test

"a bit naughty" from a notoriously high-scoring judge when Cool bucked the entire long side during a canter lengthening. Same judge noted "incorrect bend - 7" when a very young Star spooked and spun around during a test - no one ever told me what the correct bend was for that particular maneuver.

tarragon
Mar. 7, 2008, 02:54 AM
When I picked up my test sheet after a disastrous ride under a big name German judge with a reputation for being rather tough, I found a photocopy of this cartoon stapled to my test- http://www.rushjunkie.furtopia.org/never%20give%20up.jpg

that pretty much summed it up :winkgrin:

MajMeadowMorgans
Mar. 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=scubed;3054218 Anyone else[/QUOTE]

Schooling show. December, high winds, former Park Saddle Horse. On the bottom of the test, "Dressage may not be an option, look into parades" :mad: Almost made me re-think eventing.

Foxygrl516
Mar. 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
At an unrecognized 3phase last year (some of you heard this nightmare) my horse was feeling especially... "explosive". So I did the best I could to keep him contained during our test, and actually did a darn good job of it!!! When we halted at G I was *Thrilled* with myself! lol! We were slow and not forward enough for big scores, but he never had a single fit (much to his dismay) and the whole test was very steady and acceptable. Usually in this situation we would have been head-tossing and prancing all over the arena, so I was SO proud of myself.

Judge gets out of the car and says "What part of that was dressage?!" In an incredibly hateful tone...... All smiles come to screaching halt. She continued to bless me out for not letting him go more forward and told me I had no business in *her* dressage arena and that if I was scared of my horse (not!) I should either sell "it" or learn how to ride "it". :eek: OFFENSIVE!!!!! Just wow.

Best part: there were 5 people in my division that day. I was tied for 4th or 5th, whatever you would say on a 49.5. (After a blessing like that, I cant' believe she TIED me with someone! Someone she didnt' say a word to!!!) First place was on a 44..... yep. Only 5.5 points away! LOL!!!! The kicker is, the girl I was tied w/ after dressage WON THE DIVISION! LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief

And I have to ride for this same judge tomorrow....... Shoot me now!

Horseface
Mar. 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
ha I lost my way TWICE in the same test..

I got: "Geographical Errors Cost Marks"...haha...I still got a 66% on that test with errors...

Grasshopper
Mar. 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
Foxygrl--I did a Ride-A-Test once for a judge/clinician with similar results. I was fairly pleased with us, though cognizant we weren't forward enough, as we'd been working on "round and relaxed" with my trainer. (I have an, urm, opinionated TB mare. Fantastic jumper, not so in love with dressage.) Got severely reamed by the judge/clinician, who made less-than-positive comments to the audience about various things including our ability to jump given our lack of forwardness. While her basic point was valid, even the hardened DQs commented afterwards on her delivery.
(This was the same lady who, when I suggested Ralph Hill for a local clinic [before his accident], promptly dumped on his dressage abilities.)

Only managed to keep my teeth bared in something resembling a smile as (1) she was at least not mean to my mare, (2) I kept telling myself I would never have to ride for her again, but if I do run into her as my judge at an event in the future, I will know what to aim for, and (3) if she'd rag on Ralph, what were my chances? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

PalominoMorgan
Mar. 7, 2008, 07:39 PM
Schooling show. December, high winds, former Park Saddle Horse. On the bottom of the test, "Dressage may not be an option, look into parades" :mad: Almost made me re-think eventing.

I was wondering who besides my friend Morgan this could be... then I looked at the screen name. LMAO.

eventer15
Mar. 8, 2008, 12:01 AM
Dressage was never my pony's strong point, but he had a wonderful, happy, stretchy free walk. Every test he would get a 7 or 8 on it.
At one show I thought he did perfectly, but I got my test back and I had a 1 for my free walk because he didn't have enough lateral movement? This was on an Intro level test!

My best dressage test moment though was at eventing rally when the judge told me that my test was the "perfect,textbook example" of what a BN dressage test should be!!

HECS04
Mar. 8, 2008, 12:08 AM
No lie: Intro test....The free walk movement (he was nice and stretched and actually not acting crazy for once) and the test said (again no lie) "head is to low, needs to be on the bit!" WHAT!?

eponacowgirl
Mar. 8, 2008, 12:29 AM
I especially like when I get "Cute pair" on my dressage tests. I get it almost EVERY ride, and let me just tell you- I'm 5'9". My horse is 15.2. I'm overweight. He has a short neck. He has one eye that always shows whites around it. He forges horribly. He's built down hill and pulls down hard. I grew up in a hunter ring and tend to pitch forward. I'M 23 YEARS OLD.

Cute pair? I mean, really?

A picture of him being "cute":
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31836157&l=a4464&id=51801315
I don't know. I just wouldn't call it cute.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31832722&l=20f26&id=51801315
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/murrayprincess24/aritrot.jpg

hldyrhrses
Mar. 8, 2008, 08:49 PM
this was a comment on a friends test at a schooling show...
"lose the whip and give the horse a burbon!"

good advice actually!

pegasusmom
Mar. 9, 2008, 08:43 AM
Saw "horse seems to have own agenda today" on the bottom of one test.

Then there is the "now famous at our house" remark to my son from Brian Ross after a particularly disastrously test at training level which brought a 2 on one canter circle and a 3 on the other. . . ."so. . . . . your horse likes to jump???"

I watched a judge last weekend hand out over the course of the day 5 zeros on different tests, to include a 0 for a free walk. Sorry, but that is so out of line - 0 means you flat didn't perform the movement - and the horse did in fact walk across the diagonal.

Badger
Mar. 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
Oddest comment I ever got a test was "needs more groundwork." Maybe she was suggesting the test was so bad that I needed to revert to extreme basics and start over with haltering and leading? This was an OTTB who was distracted and calling to his pasturemate that was tied to my trailer and yelling back at him. First time and only time I've evented them together.

Most memorable comment was same horse, when a judge told me she "feared for my safety" during the dressage test.

Funniest comment: my prelim horse (Hol/TB), in his younger days, at a schooling show, got VERY explosive in the courtesy circle and almost took out the scribe and judge sitting in chairs past C, and then proceeded to put in a very rank test. We had another test about 30 minutes later. Horse proceeds to explode in courtesy circle again and we have a WW3 Come-to-Jesus session between when the bell rang and when I entered at A...I won, and he went in the ring and behaved himself. Judge gave a good score and at the bottom said "Should get mad more often!!!"

Favorite comment: at Champagne Run one year, at training, I got a 22.5 on that horse and it was the best score the judge gave the whole show. One of the transitions got a 9 and the comment "Effortless."

Foxygrl516
Mar. 9, 2008, 01:03 PM
At an unrecognized 3phase last year (some of you heard this nightmare) my horse was feeling especially... "explosive". So I did the best I could to keep him contained during our test, and actually did a darn good job of it!!! When we halted at G I was *Thrilled* with myself! lol! We were slow and not forward enough for big scores, but he never had a single fit (much to his dismay) and the whole test was very steady and acceptable. Usually in this situation we would have been head-tossing and prancing all over the arena, so I was SO proud of myself.

Judge gets out of the car and says "What part of that was dressage?!" In an incredibly hateful tone...... All smiles come to screaching halt. She continued to bless me out for not letting him go more forward and told me I had no business in *her* dressage arena and that if I was scared of my horse (not!) I should either sell "it" or learn how to ride "it". :eek: OFFENSIVE!!!!! Just wow.

Best part: there were 5 people in my division that day. I was tied for 4th or 5th, whatever you would say on a 49.5. (After a blessing like that, I cant' believe she TIED me with someone! Someone she didnt' say a word to!!!) First place was on a 44..... yep. Only 5.5 points away! LOL!!!! The kicker is, the girl I was tied w/ after dressage WON THE DIVISION! LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief

And I have to ride for this same judge tomorrow....... Shoot me now!

We did it! We did the novice test yesterday in front of the evil judge that was so mean last year! It was SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In case you don't understand the magnitude of that, let me just share that I haven't seen snow here in atleast 2 years... it just doesn't snow here! But it did yesterday! And it was so windy the snow was blowing sideways! But Jelly and I brought it and had a really good test! WE EVEN GOT A NINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D She also gave us several 7s. :) We ended up getting a 40 (our best ever is a 39.5...so...pretty good for us!). His canter transitions are rough, and so we lost points after the canters. But I was Thrilled!!!!! She had lots of nice things to say on my test, and even gave me a 7 for rider! I'm so excited!

flypony74
Mar. 9, 2008, 01:49 PM
My friend, who is a trainer who was reschooling a nice TB mare who'd had her brain fried in the jumper ring, got a comment of "scary" on their first test together. We chuckled about that one all weekend!

KBG Eventer
Mar. 9, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yay Jelly!

I kind of have to admit that I am a bit of a DQ because I learned to ride with one (SHHH!), but I still have had interesting comments sometimes, although not recently.

One time I was showing my pony in a spooky covered ring with stands on either side. The cavaletti from the Prix Caprilli classes were stacked outside of the ring at A. During my test a lady dropped her chain dog leash in the stands, and I felt like my pony was sort of like a ticking time bomb. He scooted every time he went near A. I thought maybe I had just been blowing things out of proportion and that my pony really had not been that bad. I don't remember the score but the comment at the bottom was something like "Tactful ride on a spooked horse"

I have also gotten the "Keep trying!" and "Lots of potential" on my old ponies. Too bad one of them was 15/16 :lol:. I get "cute pair" a lot too, but I look like I am 12 and ride a cute Paint horse...so it makes sense in my case.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
I did two eventing dressage tests this morning in Morven Park's "spooky indoor" (where my mare *just* jumped yesterday; they had a schooling jumper show there. No problem THEN, of course, but for some reason *today*, she found it all "terrifying"--including the dressage letters, the judge's box, and my husband with the video camera--so she was tense, tight and spooky :rolleyes:)

When she's in one of her "fixedly spooky mental states", she *bulges* against my inside leg, and becomes as soft and supple as a block of wood; this will often precede a "jump sideways" with her head in the air (a "mini bolt", as it were :p)

I will sometimes give her a good thumping "Pony Club kick" with my calf when she does this, both to get her attention, and to get to remember what my leg is there for (I try to use a leg thump *instead* of poking her with the spur, since that can often backfire...:lol:)

I ordinarily try NOT to do this in the dressage ring ;), but today I figured A) It's a schooling show, and B) It's our first test out of two, and I was doing Training A as a warmup for Prelim A, so I *needed* to get her listening to me right from the get-go--plus, I didn't care about the score so much, since my objective was to get a couple tests under her belt as practice for the upcoming eventing season...So in the first test, I gave her a "leg thump" two or three times :uhoh:; the good news is that the second test was MUCH better!

The comments on the bottom of the first test were:

"Very pretty horse--try not to kick so hard in front of the judge" :D

:lol: :lol:

lindat
Mar. 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
When I picked up my test sheet after a disastrous ride under a big name German judge with a reputation for being rather tough, I found a photocopy of this cartoon stapled to my test- http://www.rushjunkie.furtopia.org/never%20give%20up.jpg

that pretty much summed it up :winkgrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

Duramax
Mar. 9, 2008, 08:36 PM
Had a student get a comment yesterday of "this is not a rest, its a movement," in regards to her rather sluggish "free" walk. :lol:

Halt At X
Mar. 10, 2008, 08:42 AM
I once got the comment

"HE is very forward, and handsome"

I was riding a mare:)

Janet
Mar. 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Not written, but a verbal comment at the end of the dressage test at a horse trial: "She must be good at the jumping phases"!

One Star
Mar. 10, 2008, 10:21 AM
Excepts from on of my fave judges both to scribe and ride for the imfamous Mr. BW:
"Horse appears to have swallowed a cavaletti."
"Periscope neck."

Hey, were you scribing for my test? Those were comments I got two years ago at Canterbury... :D

And the actual comments were "Horse appears to have swallowed a cavaletti pole" and "Periscope neck entrance." :cool:

WindyIsles
Mar. 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
I once got the comment

"HE is very forward, and handsome"

I was riding a mare:)

My friend got a comment like that - 'Nice Mare!'

Her "mare" is a gelding :lol:

Ponylady27
Mar. 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Training test from several years ago had trot across diagonal from H-X-F "showing lengthening of stride" to working trot at F to a stretchy trot circle at A. (I'm sketchy on the exact letters, but you get the point)
I got "extension of stride does not continue into stretchy circle"
I distinctly recall wondering who thought those two movements in that order were a good idea...

Ibex
Mar. 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
It's still there, but at 1-1.... I have a photo from that test that took me a long time to figure out what movement we were trying to do... :lol:

sharri13
Mar. 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
I once got a score of a 9 on a halt at A with the comment "Perfect." I guess that judge did not care to give 10's!

criss
Mar. 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't know, Eponacowgirl, I think you're pretty cute together! :) I think maybe what the judge was getting at is that, as a larger girl on a smaller horse, you probably sometimes hear that you don't look good together, but since the judge was of a different opinion, decided to tell you so to counteract all the other stuff (and I say this as a chubby girl who competed a 15.3 horse for many years, though I'm short, so that helps a little).

More or less every time I've ridden a test involving sitting trot on the abovementioned horse, I've gotten some variation of "Cute horse, rider needs to work on position/seat/hands/stillness." Which, well, yeah, but...this horse is half Morgan and was 8 when I got him, so teaching him to move a whole different way has taken a while, and he still has conformation that predisposes him to move up and down rather than forward. He's not jarring--doesn't hit the ground awfully hard--but he is incredibly bouncy with all that up-and-down movement. I've had trainers after me for bouncing, and then when they got on and tried to sit his trot, they were like, "Oh, okay, now I get it--good job!"

mjedge808
Mar. 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
I haven't laughed that hard in a while! I was crying reading some of these! Not laughing AT people by the way, just laughing because I've been there, done that. Jack LeGoff's comment about the tennis seems very much 'him'. he doesn't ever seem to parse words. you never know, maybe he did intend it to motivate you to better dressage!

i nearly choked at 'appears to have swallowed a cavaletti"! That must have been some ride!

MajMeadowMorgans
Mar. 10, 2008, 03:38 PM
I was wondering who besides my friend Morgan this could be... then I looked at the screen name. LMAO.

:D Would be me. Glad to know that infamous ride stuck in someone's brain other than mine!!!

BTW we DID do a parade and he was a star! Christmas time, screaming kids, candy everywhere, fire trucks behind us. He was the ony one not bucking! Maybe the judge was onto something....

ponygirl
Mar. 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
My first event (Ocala) as I'm a jumper rider was interesting. I had apparently one of the tougher judges who wrote: "Beautiful mover. Now get her to do what you want her to do."

rabicon
Mar. 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
At our first show/first test ever in dressage 2 weeks ago we got, "cute pair, nice riding to get horse thru test" :lol: Needless to say he was an a$$. Then this past weekend in the snow we got "tactful riding for a blistery day":yes: thought this was great considering we got a 66.5 on that test.

sirensong4
Mar. 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
So, not a dressage test actually, but a Pony Club schooling show where judge's cards and comments were posted on the wall for all to see. I didn't get a chance to lunge my hot hot hot TB gelding prior to the first O/F class. As a result, the class consisted of *perfect line* buck buck buck buck buck *perfect line* buck buck buck buck *perfect line* buck buck buck . . . you get the idea. It was pretty hilarious. Must have been a less-than-stellar class because we WON. Judge's comment: "Horse appears to be playing." PLAYING. Jeez.

purplnurpl
Mar. 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
Under the collective marks I was asked to look up the definition of a circle.
nice.

DancingQueen
Mar. 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
"Appears to have swallowed a cavaletti rail" cracks me up every time I read it!

I can't say I ever got any really interesting critique on a test but I do remember my first one.
I was eh 7 or 8 years old and had blond curly hair down to my tush. My mom loved the hair. She styled it to flow free under my helmet like Rapunzel and she was so proud of how I looked "like a little angel"....

...until my critique came back with H A I R N E T!!! written across the bottom.:lol:

eponacowgirl
Mar. 13, 2008, 01:35 AM
I don't know, Eponacowgirl, I think you're pretty cute together! :) I think maybe what the judge was getting at is that, as a larger girl on a smaller horse, you probably sometimes hear that you don't look good together, but since the judge was of a different opinion, decided to tell you so to counteract all the other stuff (and I say this as a chubby girl who competed a 15.3 horse for many years, though I'm short, so that helps a little).

Thanks Criss- I guess that makes sense- didn't think of it that way! :)

bambam
Mar. 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
"...until my critique came back with H A I R N E T!!! written across the bottom.:lol:
I got a comment about my lack of a hairnet at a HT once too- peeved me. You were looking at my hair?
And, for the record, a few wisps had come out on the back of my neck from the french braid I had done and stuffed into my helmet so it was not like my hair was sticking out and flying behind me.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
I got a comment about my lack of a hairnet at a HT once too- peeved me. You were looking at my hair?
And, for the record, a few wisps had come out on the back of my neck from the french braid I had done and stuffed into my helmet so it was not like my hair was sticking out and flying behind me.

Might this have been at the MD HT at Loch Moy? :D

I recall a COTHer reporting that one of the dressage judges there (who shall remain nameless, but who was also handing out some punitive scores at Rubicon last year :sigh:), made a point of commenting on her lack of hairnet--*despite* the fact that every other aspect of her turnout was above reproach...:confused:

As bambam says, you would *hope* that the judge would be focusing his/her attention on something more "substantive" than the rider's hair!! :rolleyes:

(I remember back in the Stone Age--during my "Pony Club years"--seeing many or most young girls with flyaway hair, pony tails mostly (or braids)--myself included, and no dressage judge ever made a point of giving us grief for it (it was only an issue if it obscured one's number on X-country ;))

rhymeswithfizz
Mar. 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
Well, that test was at a HT in Colorado that is a little odd, been around forever and ever, and the people who run it, are...different ;) I bet everyone in Area IX know which HT I'm talking about though :D

Ah yes. :D Too big???? Really, you're lucky you didn't get a comment like "Your horse is too white to go cross country." But I still love that event.

subk
Mar. 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
A retired four star horse who had represented the U.S. at the World Championships, but was carting a newbie around Novice:

"Horse has potential."

Hilary
Mar. 14, 2008, 12:09 PM
On my old mare, who had one speed, 500mpm and does not walk ever, even at the age of 28, we had a few fun comments.

"Nicely forward" always made me laugh because if nothing else, she was FORWARD.

At the end of a particularly, um, forward, test, the judge looked up and said "you do have a different bit for Cross Country?" This was after we came galloping, er, cantering down the centerline for a halt at G.

Alison was doing her 500mpm 'canter' and we sort of missed the trot at X part, and continued cantering until G, at which point she stopped dead (and square).

We would get 1s or even 0s on our free walks because she has this funny 10mph hustle, rather than a relaxed walk. Comments usually said "no demonstration of gait". And I just wanted to show them a video of her walking in the pasture - with that same 10mph hustle.

This wasn't fun, or funny at the time, but I once got a "no" in comment for gaits, and a "?" for the rider comment. Clancy was really an ass that day and bolted about 3 times at the flowers.

ravenclaw
Mar. 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
This wasn't fun, or funny at the time, but I once got a "no" in comment for gaits, and a "?" for the rider comment.
:lol:

ravenclaw
Mar. 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
A retired four star horse who had represented the U.S. at the World Championships, but was carting a newbie around Novice:

"Horse has potential."
I have a similar story. A friend of mine was supposed to ride in an event at Novice level, but her horse got injured a few days before the event. She was able to borrow her trainer's schoolmaster and compete him instead. This horse was 20 or 21 years old and had been an upper-level horse for many years. The dressage judge wrote that he was a "nice prospect." ;)

lucky dog farm
Mar. 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
My favorite was "beautiful rider- sell the horse!" He was a young of the track boy- 1st test. He has improved greatly since then.

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Mar. 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
On my old event pony...

at Pine Top i recieved a 10 (!!!!!!) on i think it was a canter depart

And then at Virginia H.T. that fall recieved a 0!!!!!!

And technically if you present in the ring the judge has to at least give you a 1... We had it on video though, I had definitely completed the movement! What are you going to do though, right!? haha

katamount
Mar. 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
A friend of mine got the following:

Rider spoils the picture.

Not very constructive! Ouch!

riding=love
Mar. 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
My friend has a wicked welsh/tb pony with a mind of his own. She has owned him for 5 years and has learned so much from riding him. At an event last summer in kentucky, the pony was being extra bad. My friend just tried to continue with her test and make him obedient. Well the judge wrote

"its better to at least try, then sit there and look like a fool"

:) aha.. we had a good laugh

PatsTicket
Mar. 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
I came late to dressage and my horse wishes I'd never made it at all. I keep trying to tell him that he can't do the X-C if he won't do the dressage but he still grumps. I don't care how straight my entrance is, and how square my halt--when he cusses out the judge while I'm saluting it makes a bad first impression.

In a (probably vain) attempt to keep my sense of humor while reading my dressage tests, I've made a hobby of collecting new phrases to describe "resistant and above the bit." I've gotten "Fussy at C" and "Crabby at B". There's "Horse appears to be irritable." and "Horse not subtle." My latest favorite is "Reluctant."

I don't think my comments are particularly unusual but I'm going for variety and volume.:sadsmile:

hipsdontlie
Mar. 15, 2008, 08:00 PM
went to watch a friend do some training level dressage at a one day show and we were reading her tests and the comments and this was my favorite, "it lacks purpose" really constructive !!

Ritazza
Mar. 16, 2008, 06:46 PM
A friend today told me of a particularly crooked halt where the mare stopped square and then shoved her hindquarters one way with purpose - judge commented "rumba butt." :lol:

A friend of mine was riding a particularly scary test and the judge got out of his vehicle and told them he was terrified to see them go cross-country, and that he hoped she had a different bit... and that he'd be keeping his eye on them! She didn't - ran the mare in a KK loose ring - and went perfectly clean.

dressagetraks
Mar. 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
From a friend's test when her stallion got a bit, um, excited by a hussy mare trying to flirt in warmup right before the test and took the first center line to retract the landing gear and get his mind on his test: "Erection not required at this level." :lol:

sirensong4
Mar. 20, 2008, 01:46 AM
From a friend's test when her stallion got a bit, um, excited by a hussy mare trying to flirt in warmup right before the test and took the first center line to retract the landing gear and get his mind on his test: "Erection not required at this level." :lol:

HA ha!!!!! :lol: I am dying of laughter.

"Rhumba butt" is good too. :cool:

Sabovee
Mar. 20, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'm not an eventer - but a dressage rider. :)

I demo rode in the L program (Learner judge program) this weekend. After "completing" one of the movements they were test scoring the teacher turned to the judglings and said "Always have a positive comment, if you have nothing nice to say at least put "Nice turnout"". Grooooan. :)

I have several OTTBs, one who competed 3rd last year. He regularly gets 8s and 9s on his extended canter - shocking! - One judge put a 9 for extended canter with the comments "Annnnd they're off!" :) I've also gotten "Bold" and "Enthusiastic" comments on the Xcanter too. :)

I went to a show last year that had a judge with some very odd comments. At the end of my test I went up - they were doing verbal comments after tests - and she said "You look simply stunning on a horse".... I was like... "Um...okay... I can't hear that enough, but how'd my test go??" :)

One girl at the same show was told by the same judge that her horses feet were too small and he'd never progress past 4th. What? Horse was very proportional. Not really sure where that came from....

Knothead
Mar. 20, 2008, 08:13 PM
"You are in grave danger."
Thank God I was very far away from home.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 20, 2008, 11:06 PM
"You are in grave danger."
Thank God I was very far away from home.

yventer
Mar. 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
In a (probably vain) attempt to keep my sense of humor while reading my dressage tests, I've made a hobby of collecting new phrases to describe "resistant and above the bit." I've gotten "Fussy at C" and "Crabby at B". There's "Horse appears to be irritable." and "Horse not subtle." My latest favorite is "Reluctant." ...:

I got "horse objects violently" once :-> He cow-kicked so hard at a flying change I actually saw his hind foot out of the corner of my eye as it sailed past my knee ;->

KayBee
May. 20, 2013, 04:39 PM
Anyone have anecdotes to add to this thread? I reread it occasionally, and crack up every time.

asterix
May. 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
I'm surprised I didn't put this one on here the first time around, but I once made the mistake of taking my first event horse, a GIANT Irish horse who started life as a foxhunter in Ireland, to a dressage schooling show.
He was fairly tolerant of the first test, but GOBSMACKED when we went in to do another one. He kept peering around at the jump ring to see what he was missing.
Horse was very expressive in every thing he did, and his attitude was apparently quite clear to the judge, who wrote
"Has a lot of enthusiasm, but it doesn't seem to be for dressage."
Truer words were never spoken, but boy was that horse fun to ride XC...:lol:

CindyCRNA
May. 20, 2013, 08:24 PM

I read thru this whole thread but laughed for 5 solid minutes at this!

Wits End Eventing
May. 20, 2013, 08:36 PM
Loris Henry in California on my OTTB, "Horse appears unhappy, uncomfortable, and completely inattentive, what more can I say." Think it was the rear at X that clued her in.....

faybe
May. 20, 2013, 09:48 PM
I rode a big baby Irish horse (coming 5 yo, pushing 17.3 and not done growing) at BN one year at Difficult Run and had a fantastic test- I think we got a 28- under Brian Ross. The horse was a great mover but still in the gangly, awkward phase and didn't always know where his legs were, especially jumping. He liked to trot most of his fences so our sj consisted of a lovely canter, trottrottrotLAUNCHtrottrot, canter... over every fence. We jumped around clean, but it can't have been pretty to watch. Brian patted my knee as I came out of the ring and said, "Maybe you should just stick to dressage"- ouch!

I haven't ridden much the last 4 years but got the chance to take DH's horse (who is- and was at the time- competing at Advanced) to a local unrecognized show at Novice last fall. Judge's comment: "nice potential!" :D

DangerousDevo
May. 20, 2013, 11:02 PM
My kids had a wonderful pony who was a lovely mover and regularly beat horses twice her size. My son was riding her in a dressage test at the local fair when the tilt-a-whirl (about 50 feet from the dressage arena) fired up for the day, sending said pony and said kid spinning and backing across the arena, halting only when she'd backed herself into a corner. Comment from the judge (who knew me, the kids, and the pony): "Needs more schooling in a carnival atmosphere". LOL.

visorvet
May. 20, 2013, 11:19 PM
"Tactful ride on a difficult horse. Nice bascule exiting the arena at B."

vxf111
May. 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
I am NOT a dressage rider. My horse is pretty nice though. I almost always got the equine opposite of A Chorus Line's Dance-10, Looks-3. High marks for gaits/overall impression type scores, low marks for rider effectiveness ;)

I think I shared my "rides like a hunter" story on another thread.

Another favorite was a judge who wrote in big capital letters "lovely mare, nothing like a good TB!" on my test. Which I think was meant to be a compliment but my gelding is a Hanoverian.

Stoney447
May. 21, 2013, 12:53 AM
When I was a young teen many years ago I toyed with eventing on my wonderful child/adult 3'6" jumper who happened to be a palomino appaloosa (complete with spots). In order to prepare for summer eventing camp at then "Sharpton" (what is now known as Rocking Horse) in Ocala I decided to go to a local schooling dressage show. The judge was a local "dressage queen" who had just recieved her r. After completing what my trainer described as a competent training level test, I certainly was not expecting to receive a test full of 3s and 4s with a comment at the bottom informing me that "Spots have no place in the dressage ring."

Winding Down
May. 21, 2013, 06:29 AM
In my first dressage test, the judge said, "So I'm guessing you're a Foxhunter, eh?"

Yep. I was.

emirae1091
May. 21, 2013, 08:43 AM
My favourite comment is from one of the only times we did higher than training level at a dressage schooling show. I think it was first level 1 or 2?

We got 'overly exuberant' for the trot lengthening across the diagonal. Considering we crossed it in maybe 5-7 strides (in a standard arena), I was not surprised. We were FLYING. I was giggling when we got to the corner because I didn't know what else to do.

BensMama
May. 22, 2013, 02:35 AM
I haven't gotten the chance to do eventing or dressage yet (they're on my bucket list!!), but I am LOVING these stories. :D

Sticky Situation
May. 22, 2013, 05:29 AM
Someone that I used to show with had a horse that was more than a little buddy sour, and one time spent half his dressage test screaming his head off frantically and looking around for his stablemate.

In the comments it said "horse nickering."

emirae1091
May. 22, 2013, 07:54 AM
Someone that I used to show with had a horse that was more than a little buddy sour, and one time spent half his dressage test screaming his head off frantically and looking around for his stablemate.

In the comments it said "horse nickering."

Oh goodness. Back when I first got my horse, we went to a couple of dressage schooling shows, and another girl at that barn had a horse that did this. I felt so bad for her. She was so embarrassed.

leilatigress
May. 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
One of the girls at the barn who rides a REALLY fractious paint mare was near the judging box and mare kicked out at it every time they passed. After the test was done the comment: "Despite horse's disapproval of me, I still like her."

MightyBobbyMagee
May. 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
At my OTTB's very first dressage show, he went around with his head in the air, trotting like a sewing machine, and spooking at the flowers at every letter. Since it was a schooling show, and the judge was trying to give everyone encouraging comments (comments she couldn't relay to us in person because my horse was afraid of the judge's booth), her remark at the end of the test was, "Nicely turned out pair." That's a positive, right? :lol:

JenEM
May. 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
We were at a winter schooling show, riding the two BN tests. After our first, rather tense, test, the judge's first comment to us was "She must be fun cross country!" :lol: Rather obvious dressage is not our strong point!

charismaryllis
May. 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
"Tactful ride on a difficult horse. Nice bascule exiting the arena at B."

harnessphoto
May. 22, 2013, 03:47 PM
This didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine took her horse to a fix-a-test schooling. She rode a training level test and the judge commented that she was riding her corners like first level, not training, and marked her down for it!

CDE Driver
May. 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
Years and years ago I was doing my first PSG test. I was doing a left canter half pass along the diagonal. It was going so well and I was having such a blast that we sort of half passed a little too far and both left legs went right over the chain. Bless the heart of my horse. He did his flying change and was back with all four feet in the arena.

The judge's comment was "Less giggling, more concentrating".

amastrike
May. 22, 2013, 04:27 PM
Really not odd, but funny...

Walk to trot transition between H and C.... horse was ignoring me, so right at C, right in front of the judge, I lifted both legs away from his sides and booted him.

Comment? "Resistant transition"

:lol:

dreamingofdressage
May. 22, 2013, 04:39 PM
My favorite comment was "Hey, it happens to all of us when the horse decides his own test pattern!"

The horse (who is notoriously IMPOSSIBLE to get on the bit and can be quite buddy-sour) spent the entire test spooking, whinnying for his buddies and canter/galloping across the arena.

Needless to say, I got eliminated on that round.

leilatigress
May. 22, 2013, 05:21 PM
DD and pony are at a schooling dressage show and pony is a champ at these. I swear he would clap at himself if he was able. Another girl was sharing the ride and was doing Prix Caprilli. Now pony has been doing this a while, by no stretch his first dressage show. DD goes in, does an awesome test turns pony over. Pony goes in, sees jumps and does a double take. You can see his little mind just working it over about there being jumps in his dressage arena. Little girl is trying desperately to get pony to go towards the jumps and he completely ignores her. Goes in straight into the exact test (Intro C) he just did for DD. Even did the pauses for the halt. Exists right out of the arena. Everyone was caught between pity and laughter as this unfolds. Judge's comment: "At least pony knows the test!"

Foxtrot's
May. 22, 2013, 06:09 PM
WitsEnd - ha! I sold a horse once to Loris Henry! At this stage I don't dare say who he was!!

sdlbredfan
May. 22, 2013, 06:33 PM
The first time I was in a dressage schooling show, on a friend's Arabian gelding that (to my knowledge) had never done a dressage test before, we had a mishap at the canter. He began cantering, suddenly stopped dead, shook all over (fly season) then resumed cantering. Comment was 'nice recovery from unplanned halt'.
I have forgotten which test it was, but obviously one that involved a canter. That was many years ago.

Foxtrot's
May. 22, 2013, 11:24 PM
I was always told "Needs more leg" - this to someone who rather prided herself in the use of her seat and light aids....guess I wasn't seeing myself!