PDA

View Full Version : Pine Top Day one

boppin along
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
Does anyone have a day one report? Seems like lots of COTHers were there... and this is the first BIG HT for the Advanced- eye on the Olympic Team- group of ULR, so if you know, please post for us!

snoopy
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:43 PM
Corinne Ashton is in the lead in the ADV C division against all the olympic hopefuls...a score of 27 and TWO 10's in the dressage!!!! Trouble with the canter half pass brought her score down. Becky Holder breathing down her neck though

c_expresso
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:52 PM
Corrine Ashton is in the lead in the ADV C division against all the olympic hopefuls...a score of 29 and TWO 10's in the dressage!!!! Trouble with the canter half pass brought her score down. Becky Holder breathing down her neck though

And she's not on the winter training list BECAUSE....????

Anyway, congrats to her!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know who's leading the IYR division?

snoopy
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=c_expresso;3043958]And she's not on the winter training list BECAUSE....????

QUOTE]

DON'T get me started. I was with her over the weekend and Dobbin looks better then any of the other horses on the list...perhaps she is doing a better job with out the captain!!!;)...I mean she does beat his "students" on a regular basis.:D:D:D:D

c_expresso
Feb. 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
DON'T get me started. I was with her over the weekend and Dobbin looks better then any of the other horses on the list...perhaps she is doing a better job with out the captain!!!;)...I mean she does beat his "students" on a regular basis.:D:D:D:D
Ouch! Better put on that flame suit, snoopy :lol: Just kidding.

yellowbritches
Feb. 29, 2008, 08:04 PM
And she's not on the winter training list BECAUSE....????

Anyone know who's leading the IYR division?

I have a friend riding in the IYR. She does dressage at noonish tomorrow, so we won't know about that division until tomorrow night.

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 29, 2008, 09:29 PM
I and P start tomorrow at 8. I ride at 8:06. EWWWW.

Snoopy, I didn't see Corrine's test but I heard all about it! I wish I had seen it!

CookiePony
Feb. 29, 2008, 10:08 PM
snoopy-- are you here? Are you going to come by and say hi at the dressage warmup?

Annoyingly, I had my back to Dobbin's test because I was watching the warmup. Warmup is very cool and educational to watch-- but I don't see as much of what goes on in the actual arenas. Also I am useless for scores but I will look tomorrow.

Hey, one of my new favorites is Carol Kozlowski's Take Time. Wow can he jump! Anyone know his breeding?

snoopy
Mar. 1, 2008, 07:43 AM
http://pinetopfarm.com/Adv_scores_friday.htm

Balista
Mar. 1, 2008, 09:21 AM
Snoopy,
I'm in Newnan and couldn't come...how's Mike doing? Wish I were there so let me live it through you !!!!

jumpxc
Mar. 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think Take Time is by Hideaway's Erin Go Braugh.

Amy

chancellor2
Mar. 1, 2008, 02:02 PM
Corinne is my neighbor and I had to hear about those two 10s from Mel, her husband while I was plowing their driveway. GO CORINNE!!!

FrittSkritt
Mar. 1, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ruhoh... what was Phillip Dutton's TE?

Xctrygirl
Mar. 1, 2008, 06:08 PM
Now I loff Corrine and Dobby, but how about Amy tryon. Tied with herself for the lead in division C!!!

And a 27.5 is a heckof a nice score.

Kudos to Amy for coming back from her time off and doing so so well. (She won a week or two ago as well)

~Emily

3dazey
Mar. 1, 2008, 06:53 PM
Isn't Corrine orginally from Ireland or Scotland...perhaps she has retained her original citizenship and is not eligible for the US team?

Just speculating. She has been doing very well.

Fuego
Mar. 1, 2008, 07:04 PM
....patiently waiting to see scores from Friday P and I

snoopy
Mar. 1, 2008, 07:05 PM
Isn't Corrine orginally from Ireland or Scotland...perhaps she has retained her original citizenship and is not eligible for the US team?

Just speculating. She has been doing very well.

Corinne is from scotland...holds dual UK/US citizenshop. As she lives here, she registered with the FEI as american, and the rules changed on June 1 2007 so she cannot change. Before the rules police come out, we know this for fact from the FEI, BEF et al. She was short listed for the 2003 Pan Ams but had a bad fall before hand and was unable to compete. She was american enough then;).....

snoopy
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
corinne won her division (c) on her dressage score. Becky Holder who was in second, had a stop.

NeverTime
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:22 AM
I've gotten the idea that politics play into those team/training list decisions just as much as good riding does. Corrine & Dobbin aren't one of many good pairs conspicuously absent from the U.S. team list.

boppin along
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:46 AM
Keep the results coming.... you are great!

flutie1
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:57 AM
"Becky Holder who was in second, had a stop."

Bummer!

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 2, 2008, 04:07 PM
Anyone else have the results? Pine Top doesnt have them posted yet. I know it is only 3pm Central but I am impatient! I have lots of friends riding down there.

Hope everyone had a great show!!!

seajay
Mar. 2, 2008, 05:49 PM
AWESOME NEWS. How did Kelli Temple finish up BTW? I bought my new horse from her and she is awesome too!

yellowbritches
Mar. 2, 2008, 05:52 PM
I didn't take time to stop by the score board, but I will say that I saw lots of great riding and the courses were marvelous!

Star67
Mar. 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
What happened with Jazzy Lady ... E??? Last I heard she was eating up and spitting out cross country ... or at least that was last weekend??

Crazyabouteventing
Mar. 2, 2008, 07:51 PM
Corrine Aston blitzed the rest, looks to have had the only clear CC ride in A.

Here are the results.

http://pinetopfarm.com/0308_finalwebscores.htm

snoopy
Mar. 2, 2008, 08:04 PM
she came in under time by 15 sec...and not once did her legs touch dobbin's sides. He was really enoying the ride today. It really was an effortless weekend for him. I am telling you folks, he is on this game.

Lamma70
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
Great job to Kelly Sult and Hollywood! I just read the COTH article about this 21 year old girl and the horse that her and her dad turned around. It was a great story. And she won her division!

You go girl!

GreyDun
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know who the photographer was this weekend? Xpress Foto? Or if anyone took any pics of any of the winners (or whoever!) could they PM me?

Thank you!:D

goodymar1188
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:43 PM
I believe the photographer was www.hoofclix.com

GreyDun
Mar. 2, 2008, 10:57 PM
Ah, there we go...thanks! :D

RunForIt
Mar. 2, 2008, 11:01 PM
:D COTHers had a big time this weekend - we gave a big YAHOOOO to rider 262 this evening as Pine Top Farm's lovely event came to a close. Incredible day - not a cloud in sight...I do hope gooddirt and Janet sometimes go sit out at the "little water" where I spent today, on just the same kind of clear, blue sky day, and simply smile and breathe. I've always thought that birthdays ought to be spent being happy that you were born and part of life. Thanks, y'all. :)

LisaB
Mar. 3, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah Corinne! She *may* be left out because he has trouble shipping and with as much traveling as you have to do to get to the ****, it's always a little on the iffy side. That's just a guess because I don't think she's on the 'outs' like Becky Holder always seems to be. Ugh! Friggin' politics!

boppin along
Mar. 3, 2008, 09:29 AM
HUGE KUDOS TO NATE.....very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scubed
Mar. 3, 2008, 10:27 AM
was that Nate's move up to advanced? Impressive indeed.

And the no-longer-little black horse is now officially a prelim pony

I also have to say, I loved the Dario horse that Jan Bynny rides when I saw him last year (at training level). Nice to see him doing well

snoopy
Mar. 3, 2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah Corinne! She *may* be left out because he has trouble shipping and with as much traveling as you have to do to get to the ****, it's always a little on the iffy side. That's just a guess because I don't think she's on the 'outs' like Becky Holder always seems to be. Ugh! Friggin' politics!

Politics...if only they could stay out of sport.

Lori B
Mar. 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm going to Rolex, and the two horses I most want to see there are Dobbin and Teddy.

There's a picture of Dobbin jumping a ditch / wall combo (can't remember what that obstacle type is called, I would call it a 'heart attack' fence) on their site, here: http://www.03tilt.com/corinneashton/about.html (click on Gallery)

I think it's the most amazing jump picture. Would love to see them advance.

Fuego
Mar. 3, 2008, 12:16 PM
..pallisade?

chancellor2
Mar. 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
Why are there never any pictures of Corinne at that website??? I want to see.
I hope Corinne makes it to Rolex this year!

VCT
Mar. 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
Great job to Kelly Sult and Hollywood! I just read the COTH article about this 21 year old girl and the horse that her and her dad turned around. It was a great story. And she won her division!

You go girl!

Kelly is a great girl. I miss her since she's down in FL. Reggie (Hollywood) is a character and a great horse. He's lots of fun to hang out with.

CookiePony
Mar. 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
Happy Birthday again RunForIt! I enjoyed eating some of your cake. ;)

Nate Chambers was probably the best ride through the fences I was judging-- the truck to the log on the hill to the skinny. He and Rolly were very accurate and balanced.

The highlight of my weekend was walking the advanced course and enjoying the gorgeous piece of property that the event is held on. What a lovely setting for the gorgeous horses and riders that run across it.

I have to brag on us fence judges yesterday... it was a crack team on the radios, the best I have worked with. Janet and Glenn seem to be skilled at attracting many repeat and experienced volunteers.

Unfortunately, some of these same volunteers were the targets of unsportsmanlike behavior during showjumping on Saturday. I was not down at the arena then, but apparently some competitors spoke quite rudely to one of the warmup stewards. THIS IS NOT OK. Civility is important at all times, but especially toward those who have donated their time in support of our sport.

I can also say that as a volunteer, it causes a nice warm glow when someone expresses their appreciation, as several did this weekend. :cool:

CapturinYerRide
Mar. 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
Folks, photos are uploading in a cue all day long, and into tomorrow as well. If you hold onto your horses (yuk yuk) I'll put Dobbin up first in the next cue this evening. Alphabetically here:

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/Pine%20Top%20Farm/471047

BUT, what you do want to look at will be Colleen Loach's save coming out of the old water on Longfield Dougal. She managed to almost come off, but held on and steered to go over the corner, minus a stirrup, without penalty.... Put the gallery on slide show and sit back.

Advanced are up to 74, Intermediate to 159, I believe. We also tried for the spectacular by shooting the White Collumns and the "Master James," up on the hill in the shade. We were a bit bright on those shots, but you can see the efforts anyway... For Int we had many requests to shoot the trakehner near the last, so we did it....

Mark

purplnurpl
Mar. 3, 2008, 02:39 PM
Happy Birthday again RunForIt! I enjoyed eating some of your cake. ;)

Nate Chambers was probably the best ride through the fences I was judging-- the truck to the log on the hill to the skinny. He and Rolly were very accurate and balanced.

The highlight of my weekend was walking the advanced course and enjoying the gorgeous piece of property that the event is held on. What a lovely setting for the gorgeous horses and riders that run across it.

I have to brag on us fence judges yesterday... it was a crack team on the radios, the best I have worked with. Janet and Glenn seem to be skilled at attracting many repeat and experienced volunteers.

Unfortunately, some of these same volunteers were the targets of unsportsmanlike behavior during showjumping on Saturday. I was not down at the arena then, but apparently some competitors spoke quite rudely to one of the warmup stewards. THIS IS NOT OK. Civility is important at all times, but especially toward those who have donated their time in support of our sport.

I can also say that as a volunteer, it causes a nice warm glow when someone expresses their appreciation, as several did this weekend. :cool:

Oh ya I was there waiting to SJ during one of the mouth offs. It was really embarrassing for the rest of us that are from his same area.
He is known for it though.

Ya snooze ya lose. Get your number on the list and deal with it.
And people wonder why organizers wont run Horse Trials in Texas any longer. ?

I attended the last two PT HTs. I think the show is run brilliantly.

The only thing I don't like about Pinetop...I can't get my horse across those dang man made bridges!!
giggle. Booms is so silly. Hopefully he will be less spooky with education. Sucked that this time the spook caused a stop. : (

blackwly
Mar. 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
Have to second the other opinions and say it was a great weekend. The courses, particuarly, seemed to ride really well. This was my first time out this year and it was perfect- big, galloping, rewarding bold riding. The time was definitely a factor though- we were going on all cylinders and finished just under the optimum at prelim. It was a great start to the year and I can't believe I have to wait 5 weeks to go out again.

purplnurpl- I think you were right by me in barn D? I looked for you to say hi on sunday, but we never seemed to be there at the same time. How was your weekend?

jazzy- was looking forward to seeing you guys tackle your first intermediate! Everything ok?

Fuego
Mar. 3, 2008, 02:50 PM
Folks, photos are uploading in a cue all day long[/url]

BUT, what you do want to look at will be Colleen Loach's save coming out of the old water on Longfield Dougal. She managed to almost come off, but held on and steered to go over the corner, minus a stirrup, without penalty.... Put the gallery on slide show and sit back.

Mark

Amazing shots, holy gawd! Good for her! What an incredible ride!

Tiffany01
Mar. 3, 2008, 03:31 PM
Kelly Sult was in my Pony Club.

yventer
Mar. 3, 2008, 05:09 PM
By the way, Mark, thanks so much for sorting the picturex by rider name! I've learned to always note down the number from the program, but names are soooo much easier. We won't even speak about the photogs that put up the photos by "time ranges" =8-O!!!

3dazey
Mar. 3, 2008, 07:22 PM
Mark, photographer extraordinaire, took what I think is one of the most exciting photos of the day, other than Colleen's series (she is my new hero, what a gutsy save...that's the reward for the long partnership she has had with Dougal.)

I hope it's okay to post the link to this photo of DC on Dun To A T...I promise it was as exciting to watch this horse jump as it looks in this awesome photo: http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/4427029_dGVCw#261418211

UNBELIEVABLE HORSE!!! :eek::eek:

Fuego
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:06 PM
jazzy- was looking forward to seeing you guys tackle your first intermediate! Everything ok?

Her photos from dressage and stadium look great! (that pony sure can jump) I wonder what happened between stadium/cross or on cross?

NeverTime
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:07 PM
That picture of Dun to a T makes it look like a freight train. No thanks!
And on a related scary-XC question: Someone in the advanced had 245 jumping penalties. How does that happen (ie, what combination of faults is that without getting eliminated)?

yellowbritches
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:19 PM
I actually watched him through there. He actually goes quite nicely. Darren gave him a couple of swats in front of the water (I'm guessing the horse in the past has backed off or had issues??), and the horse jumped in to the water exactly as he was ridden- HARD. Darren did a nice job of getting him some what sorted out between the drop and the roll top, and the out of the water rode really, really well. Pretty cool horse (though, not as cool as our dun ;)).

RunForIt
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:19 PM
Mark, photographer extraordinaire, took what I think is one of the most exciting photos of the day, other than Colleen's series (she is my new hero, what a gutsy save...that's the reward for the long partnership she has had with Dougal.)

I hope it's okay to post the link to this photo of DC on Dun To A T...I promise it was as exciting to watch this horse jump as it looks in this awesome photo: http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/4427029_dGVCw#261418211

UNBELIEVABLE HORSE!!! :eek::eek:

OK, 3dazey, where were you all weekend? Billy and I were out at the 2nd water all day soaking in the sun, sights, and charting scores. I can't believe I was at PTF for 3 days and didn't get to chat with you even once - though, granted, its a rather large place, AND I was sorta held captive all day Friday and Saturday. Missed you!!!! (and YellowBritches too!) :cool:

One Star
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm going to Rolex, and the two horses I most want to see there are Dobbin and Teddy.

There's a picture of Dobbin jumping a ditch / wall combo (can't remember what that obstacle type is called, I would call it a 'heart attack' fence) on their site, here: http://www.03tilt.com/corinneashton/about.html (click on Gallery)

I think it's the most amazing jump picture. Would love to see them advance.

That jump at Foxhall is a smaller version of the Cottesmore's Leap at Burghley:

NeverTime
Mar. 3, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks YB. Just goes to show sometimes a picture *isn't* worth a thousand words!

yellowbritches
Mar. 3, 2008, 09:35 PM
OK, 3dazey, where were you all weekend? Billy and I were out at the 2nd water all day soaking in the sun, sights, and charting scores. I can't believe I was at PTF for 3 days and didn't get to chat with you even once - though, granted, its a rather large place, AND I was sorta held captive all day Friday and Saturday. Missed you!!!! (and YellowBritches too!) :cool:
I CANNOT believe I missed you, however, I ended up walking the intermediate course with my friend, then going back to stabling with her and helping her get ready. I don't feel quite right at an event unless I'm taking care of someone, and she was thrilled I was more than willing to help...and her horse is very cool (if a little fresh! He goosed me in the butt about a half a dozen times yesterday!!! :lol:). We left after we made sure she and her horse were ok (she retired at 4...he tripped on takeoff, went to his knees, and STILL managed to get over the fence, though it wasn't pretty). They were both fine (he's a little scraped up, but he's a trooper).

What a great day, though! Couldn't ask for better weather, and the riding was pretty frickin good. And when it wasn't so good, the horse made up for it, which is always kinda fun to watch ("Oh, geeze. Mom/Dad is riding like a sack of potatoes again. Hang on, I'll take care of it..."). Sad I missed Nate's round, and I got there just too late to see Naughty By Nature go (I have a soft spot for him...). Oh well.

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 3, 2008, 10:40 PM
Well... we tried and we'll try again.

Dressage was good, he could have been a little in front of my leg but I had trouble getting him to do the lateral work in the busy warm up but he was still a good boy and put in a great test. Has some cleaning up to do but I can say that it was our best intermediate dressage test ;)

Showjumping... well... we didn't bring it. I forgot to ride and my pony forgot to jump. But the people there are wonderful and let me go back on Sunday to school. We'll try again, and this time I'll remember to bring it. Rocking horse was just so easy on him and I didn't ride it the way he needed to be ridden for this course. But it was still very uncharacteristic on his part to have 2 rails and throw in a really dirty stop so he'll be checked out too before we continue.

You'll see us again!!! Brush yourself off and try again!

The course looked fantastic though! I'm back in Canada in the freezing rain/sleet and so annoyed I only got one cross go!

Anyway, it was nice meeting some cothers finally, although I kinda hid after my hideous round :p

yventer
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:02 AM
That picture of Dun to a T makes it look like a freight train. No thanks!
And on a related scary-XC question: Someone in the advanced had 245 jumping penalties. How does that happen (ie, what combination of faults is that without getting eliminated)?

I think (and I hope Janet will correct me if I'm wrong) that it must be a "typo". I wondered about the penalties when I first saw the score, and looked in the rule book under "Dangerous Riding"', to see if that would account for such a hgh score. But the penalty for Dangerous Riding is 25 points, not 100 points, so I think it might be an arithmetical error. Two stops at one fence is 20+40= 60 penalties. One more stop at another fence = 20 penalties. Fall of rider = 65 penalties. 20+40+20+65 = 145.

snoopy
Mar. 4, 2008, 07:01 AM
Well... we tried and we'll try again.

Dressage was good, he could have been a little in front of my leg but I had trouble getting him to do the lateral work in the busy warm up but he was still a good boy and put in a great test. Has some cleaning up to do but I can say that it was our best intermediate dressage test ;)

Showjumping... well... we didn't bring it. I forgot to ride and my pony forgot to jump. But the people there are wonderful and let me go back on Sunday to school. We'll try again, and this time I'll remember to bring it. Rocking horse was just so easy on him and I didn't ride it the way he needed to be ridden for this course. But it was still very uncharacteristic on his part to have 2 rails and throw in a really dirty stop so he'll be checked out too before we continue.

You'll see us again!!! Brush yourself off and try again!

The course looked fantastic though! I'm back in Canada in the freezing rain/sleet and so annoyed I only got one cross go!

Anyway, it was nice meeting some cothers finally, although I kinda hid after my hideous round :p

Sweetie....no need to hide. Every outing is a learning experience. Like you said, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, pull up your bra straps and get on with it. Because he made Prelim feel so easy, one can easily fall into the trap that the upgrade would have been just as easy. Shit happens, I am still proud of your accomplishments...and very much interested in your next outing. Onward and upward.:D
Snoops

CapturinYerRide
Mar. 4, 2008, 08:09 AM
... for your viewing pleasure in case you didn't see already.

More to come as the day goes on..

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 09:52 AM
purplnurpl- I think you were right by me in barn D? I looked for you to say hi on sunday, but we never seemed to be there at the same time. How was your weekend?

Yup. I was right next to team CEO. Darn, I wish we had crossed paths. I'm usually pretty easy to spot. I'm a giant and kind of goofy looking.
If any of you see a dorking looking chic wearing spectacles that's me! giggle.

Danielle and I threw our horses out in the front turnout all weekend.
I love Pinetop for that very reason. I can't believe more people don't fight for the turn outs!!

I had a fun run. My SJ and D really sucked. But my main goal was to make time XC. It was a really open galloping course so I figured if I couldn't make it there then I never will.
I totally booked and he was great. Just our retard brain fart blip on the bank down to the skinny. Booms caught glimps of the bridge and just puttered out. oops.
And then I wasn't fit enough to make it around! He took the last minute of fences (from the corner with those stuid hay bales to the end) by himself at Training speed.
So I had to have gone Inter speed the first 5 minutes of the course to only have 4 time penalties.
whoo-hoo!
I guess my horse can gallop after all. I have been doubting him until now. : )

I'll have a video later today on youtube that I'll come back and post.

On to Southern Pines. I'm sooo excited about life right now. : )

gahawkeye
Mar. 4, 2008, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear so many people were at Pine Top this weekend as riders, owners, friends or just spectating. It was a fantastic event! I'd like to put in a little plug here to encourage you to offer up any volunteer services, especially on cross country day, to Glenn and Janet. I jump judged from 7:30 to 5:00 (along with all the others who volunteered that day) with multiple jumps to watch. Just getting a break for a section or two would have been a big help.

PLEASE offer to volunteer at events if you can -- just an hour or two would help us weary jump judges!

yellow rose
Mar. 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
jazzy -- so sorry girlfriend. that was a nasty stop at the end there. bad ponee. don't worry, it happens. if it makes you feel better, let me tell you the story of how I ate #%*& at the 2nd fence on xc at my first 3 day. and my horse didn't even stop!! devastating. and I had a damn cute outfit for the 2nd jog too. kick on girl.

our horses had a really good go. and the weather.... beeeeautiful!! SO had a brain fart and jumped the 2nd fence twice in SJ. oops. Roger and Brian let him go XC and he had a really great trip around the advanced course. I rode the intermediate and man it was FUNNN.. courses were great. Fatty french horse ran away with me on XC but I still managed to have tons of time penalties.. wtf.. why am i so slow.. oh well, on to red hills!

thanks to volunteers! you rock.

blackwly
Mar. 4, 2008, 11:47 AM
jazzy- sorry, that sucks! If it makes you feel any better, I have been thrown for a loop by the prelim to intermediate moveup myself a couple times too. I think it is a highly underrated challenge! Sounds like your horse just wasn't himself though...maybe the change in climate and activity caught up with him? I've had that happen traveling south to compete in winter a couple times too.

purpl- If you came close to making the time with a glance-off, you should be proud! That course took some fast riding. It surprised me, because things looked so open. But my horse is very quick and I had the pedal to the metal, and we still barely made it under the optimum. So you should be clocking in easily the next time out!

Arg, I can't believe I'm home, it's windy and rainy, and I have 5 weeks before I get to run again. When will winter end?

annikak
Mar. 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/Pine%20Top%20Farm/471047

Advanced are up to 74, Intermediate to 159, I believe. We also tried for Mark

How pathetic that I was in tears after that set of pictures?? My goodness- what a horse and rider!

CookiePony
Mar. 4, 2008, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear so many people were at Pine Top this weekend as riders, owners, friends or just spectating. It was a fantastic event! I'd like to put in a little plug here to encourage you to offer up any volunteer services, especially on cross country day, to Glenn and Janet. I jump judged from 7:30 to 5:00 (along with all the others who volunteered that day) with multiple jumps to watch. Just getting a break for a section or two would have been a big help.

PLEASE offer to volunteer at events if you can -- just an hour or two would help us weary jump judges!

Hey, what fence were you at? I didn't know we had another COTHer jump judging along with myself, RFI, and 3dazey!

Jazzy-- bummer about SJ, but you have a good attitude and I know you will get to do that I XC course soon! I have a cute pic of you from before dressage. I'll post it on your COMH page.

blackwly-- I have a somewhat blurry pic of you over the table at 8-- but Stevie's knees are way high!! I will send it to your work email, hope that's OK.

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 12:52 PM
just to add.

That old thread about how an event horse who can also dish out upper level dressage movements loses some of its go for XC still irks me.

I so happily watched Amy Tryon Piaffe next to the dressage arena (on purpose. lol) before her test.
ya, her horses are sucky XC horses...NOT!

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 12:57 PM
I have been asking and reading about how sponsorships affect Amateur Status.

The conclusion I came to was that if you have sponsors you are a pro.

ButCorinne Ashton has sponsors. Dover on her saddle pads AND she is used to promote Ovation.
How can she be an Amateur?

I'm wanting to know because if I can be an ammy with my sponsor/s it would be very beneficial for leaderboards and such.

Also, If anyone is friends with Corinne and knows weird info-
I love her trailer. Anyone know what it is? I was next to her at the AECs and she gave me a tour. It was just what I wanted and very affordable.

snoopy
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:08 PM

ButCorinne Ashton has sponsors. Dover on her saddle pads AND she is used to promote Ovation.

I'm wanting to know because if I can be an ammy with my sponsor/s it would be very beneficial for leaderboards and such.

I love her trailer. Anyone know what it is? I was next to her at the AECs and she gave me a tour. It was just what I wanted and very affordable.

The trailer thing...my god was that a hassle. It had to be made. We looked and looked for something like this. It is a 2 + 1 keiffer built....she had it modified a bit, but yes afforadable

The ammy bit: She is NOT as of this year. It is still on her card, but she is not riding as an ammy.

c_expresso
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:11 PM
The trailer thing...my god was that a hassle. It had to be made. We looked and looked for something like this. It is a 2 + 1 keiffer built....she had it modified a bit, but yes afforadable

The ammy bit: She is NOT as of this year. It is still on her card, but she is not riding as an ammy.

I know under USEF rules to be an ammy you can't make money or have sponsors, but is it different under USEA rules? Since you can make $2500/year in horses and be a USEA ammy but not a USEF ammy...

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
well boo.
I was excited when I saw that she was an ammy.

thanks guys.

snoopy
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:16 PM
well boo.
I was excited when I saw that she was an ammy.

thanks guys.

That Grey of yours has my name written all over him!!! If I were younger and still competing, I would be the thief in the night and he would be living at my place!!!!

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
ya well.
He ran me into the trees again. I don't know what his deal is but he goes out of his way to spook and run head first into the nearest tree/s.

and

He show jumps with his eyes closed. Weirdo.
Look up Kristen Wertz and Kaboom.
http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/4427410_5BAvc#261845194

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/eyesclosed.jpg

We have a lot of pictures like this and have decided that it is extreme relaxation and closed eyes shall be his signature.
giggle.

pdiddy
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:37 PM
just to add.

That old thread about how an event horse who can also dish out upper level dressage movements loses some of its go for XC still irks me.

I so happily watched Amy Tryon Piaffe next to the dressage arena (on purpose. lol) before her test.
ya, her horses are sucky XC horses...NOT!

I have so many different replies thought up to this remark ... but for the sake of the COTH bb I will keep my mouth shut.

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 01:38 PM
I have so many different replies thought up to this remark ... but for the sake of the COTH bb I will keep my mouth shut.

well it was purdy and looked to be on purpose to me. at least the bit that I saw.

flutie1
Mar. 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
"Oh ya I was there waiting to SJ during one of the mouth offs. It was really embarrassing for the rest of us that are from his same area.
He is known for it though."

Gee, Kristen. I can't imagine who you're talking about.
:-)
Some things never change ...........

flutie

tx3dayeventer
Mar. 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
"Oh ya I was there waiting to SJ during one of the mouth offs. It was really embarrassing for the rest of us that are from his same area.
He is known for it though."

Gee, Kristen. I can't imagine who you're talking about.
:-)
Some things never change ...........

flutie

I was thinking the same thing as Flutie. I saw him do it at the Camino ** which he was winning at the time, or that time he did it a NAYRC, hmmm I see a pattern here.

Wish I was in FL/GA, sounds like you gals are having a blast!

c_expresso
Mar. 4, 2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks ;)

3dazey
Mar. 4, 2008, 05:11 PM
Can you Texas chicks please see about getting his passport to exit the state revoked...we don't need or want his kind around these parts...:mad::mad:

He almost gave the SJ starter a good old-fashioned conniption, and that southern gentleman is hard to rile. But he certainly knows how to put buffoons and eejits in their proper places. :lol::lol:

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks to Danielle's Mom. : )

the reason we will be staying a Prelim for a while:
The water jump walked a 5 stride, 5 stride, 4 stride. NOT, a 4, 3, and 3. I try to micro manage, really I do!
I gave him some dental work in SJ to fit 4 in a 4 and not leave a stride out. I think that was the first time I ever told him, "HEY YOU! DO IT THIS WAY!"

The dressage judge really ripped into me for my crappy riding. My favorite score was my stretch walk from K to X. She gave me a 5. Spit-sputter-laugh. I love the subjectivity of dressage. ; )

Also. I LOVE this announcer. He's the greatest.
We stood next to the judges stand during some of the SJ. OMG the comments they make are sooo funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biW-GoSO434

FlightCheck
Mar. 4, 2008, 07:27 PM
In regards to the *unnamed person* who was such a jerk to the volunteer at SJ, why wasn't something reported to the officials???

Just asking because if the officials were who I think they were, a strong discussion or, perhaps, a yellow card could have been issued?

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 4, 2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks to Danielle's Mom. : )

the reason we will be staying a Prelim for a while:
The water jump walked a 5 stride, 5 stride, 4 stride. NOT, a 4, 3, and 3. I try to micro manage, really I do!
I gave him some dental work in SJ to fit 4 in a 4 and not leave a stride out. I think that was the first time I ever told him, "HEY YOU! DO IT THIS WAY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biW-GoSO434

Don't feel so bad at that water. It rode in MANY combinations. I sat there and watched in while we were trying to figure out the striding for my BO and her upgrade. We thought it was probably a 5-5-4, but we saw it ride the best and smoothest in a forward 4-4-3 which is how my BO rode it with her little mare and it was beautiful. I think it was almost a little short for the 5-5-4 as most horses who did that were a little close to the outs.

flutie1
Mar. 4, 2008, 09:18 PM
"Just asking because if the officials were who I think they were, a strong discussion or, perhaps, a yellow card could have been issued?"

I understand that said offender received a yellow card several weeks ago. That boy just doesn't seem to learn.

RunForIt
Mar. 4, 2008, 09:50 PM
ya well.
He ran me into the trees again. I don't know what his deal is but he goes out of his way to spook and run head first into the nearest tree/s.

and

He show jumps with his eyes closed. Weirdo.
Look up Kristen Wertz and Kaboom.
http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/4427410_5BAvc#261845194

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/eyesclosed.jpg

We have a lot of pictures like this and have decided that it is extreme relaxation and closed eyes shall be his signature.
giggle.

Hey, Kristen,

I was in that little car at C in the dressage ring writing all the comments for your cute horse! was going to be really bold and write some sort of "hey there"...Come NEXT YEAR, we'll all make plans to do supper together at least one night. Chili Peppers had awfully good guacamole and margaritas...:D :winkgrin: :cool:

annikak
Mar. 4, 2008, 09:57 PM
Don't feel so bad at that water. It rode in MANY combinations. I sat there and watched in while we were trying to figure out the striding for my BO and her upgrade. We thought it was probably a 5-5-4, but we saw it ride the best and smoothest in a forward 4-4-3 which is how my BO rode it with her little mare and it was beautiful. I think it was almost a little short for the 5-5-4 as most horses who did that were a little close to the outs.

Golly, I watched the video, and it looked great! I love your horse! Wow, such a nice ride, and real pretty, to boot! Sigh...keep the stories coming!

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 4, 2008, 10:58 PM
Golly, I watched the video, and it looked great! I love your horse! Wow, such a nice ride, and real pretty, to boot! Sigh...keep the stories coming!

I thought it did too, but she apparently didn't like it! It was forward, comfortable and flowing.

stuff4962
Mar. 4, 2008, 11:41 PM
Dobbin is having a great time skipping around those "novice" courses! Having a little trouble not getting speed penalties, I guess he always wanted to be a racehorse! Although two 10's in the dressage proves he can do the "round and round" stuff too! I believe he won the previous Pine Top OI, 2 weeks earlier, finishing on his dressage score again leading from start to finish.

gooddirt
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:48 AM
Corrinne is a hero for another reason too - she provided us with some badly needed jump judges!! Thank you, Corrinne!
Glenn and Janet

blackwly
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:56 AM

Good to hear. I walked that, and was convinced I needed to make the 4 on the way out. My horse always jumps up banks in a big scopey manner and lands way out, and I am trying to impress upon him that leaving strides out is not in the plan. Regardless, I rode him to the bottom of the bank and had a nice little pop out - no huge leap, for once- and took one stride and realized it was a 3, or nothing. Kicked on, the 3 rode well, but I was convinced I was the only one who did that. Glad to hear it was not the case!

Thanks for the pics cookiepony! I can't believe you found one moment in the dressage when Stevie was not fussing with his head in the air!

purplnurpl
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
I thought it did too, but she apparently didn't like it! It was forward, comfortable and flowing.

Well thanks guys.

I get A LOT of crap about the way I ride him.
So you guys have made me feel a little more confident with my instincts.

I always feel pretty comfortable with his very long lanky way of jumping but some have hinted that they think I'm going to have a bad wreck some day. That is why I rode my SJ differently this time around and it SUCKED!
Booms likes to do it himself in a huntery fashion with just a wee bit of micro manage.

I like hearing input from COTHers. I try to watch as much as possible so when you guys talk about rides I can link up the critiques with what I have seen. Very helpful for me. Sounds like I need to catch one of Corrinne's dressage rides!!

snoopy
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well thanks guys.

I get A LOT of crap about the way I ride him.
So you guys have made me feel a little more confident with my instincts.

I always feel pretty comfortable with his very long lanky way of jumping but some have hinted that they think I'm going to have a bad wreck some day. That is why I rode my SJ differently this time around and it SUCKED!
Booms likes to do it himself in a huntery fashion with just a wee bit of micro manage.

I like hearing input from COTHers. I try to watch as much as possible so when you guys talk about rides I can link up the critiques with what I have seen. Very helpful for me. Sounds like I need to catch one of Corrinne's dressage rides!!

People get hung up on their horse's faults instead of their strenghs...focus on those. Every horse is different, if it aint broke do not fix it. That is when the problems start. I know a horse who had a very quirky way of jumping...the "problem" was addressed and the horse started stopping, when left alone it never had another fault in its entire career.

flutie1
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:35 AM
"I know a horse who had a very quirky way of jumping..."

I defy "them" to try to fit Poggio into a mold - and he does pretty damn well with his unconventional style!

snoopy
Mar. 5, 2008, 11:02 AM
"I know a horse who had a very quirky way of jumping..."

I defy "them" to try to fit Poggio into a mold - and he does pretty damn well with his unconventional style!

GREAT example. Imagine if Amy were to try to "improve" his way of jumping? In my experience it does not work. The horse becomes worried and that is when the problems occur. This horse is comfortable jumping they way he does...and most likely finds comfort in it. It is his job to jump the fences and the riders job to place the horse in the best possible spot to achieve that jump. It is the up to the horse.

Glory Bound
Mar. 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
He almost gave the SJ starter a good old-fashioned conniption, and that southern gentleman is hard to rile.

:lol: The Stadium (& cross country) warm up guy is actually my Dad!:lol:

I was riding Prelim, and we live only about 15 minutes from Pine Top so he volunteers at just about every show and when I'm not riding I run dressage scores or some odd job. Unfortunately he was forced to use some strong language to a couple of unruly riders in stadium, but most people were great and everything seemed to run smoothly! My Mom and I are thinking of getting him a T-shirt for the next show which says "Warning: Lawyer, Argue at your own risk!". High Stress Job + High Stress Weekend = NOT GOOD :lol:

FrittSkritt
Mar. 5, 2008, 11:44 AM
"Just asking because if the officials were who I think they were, a strong discussion or, perhaps, a yellow card could have been issued?"

I understand that said offender received a yellow card several weeks ago. That boy just doesn't seem to learn.

If he hadn't up and moved, I would have guessed SB... he definitely was at the top of my "rolly eye list" whenever I was volunteering. :winkgrin:

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 5, 2008, 02:34 PM
One of the other admirable things about Corrine Ashton is that she does volunteer. And when Corrine Ashton calls and asks you to volunteer at a Trial, you just have to say yes!

You go girl! Wish I could watch. And by the way, it tears me apart to be at work in the rainy cold northeast reading about your great rides... (I keep whispering... soon Area 1 will be back on line.... soon.)

snoopy
Mar. 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
Get this ...she even helped Mark Phillips with the jumps at the winter training outing!!!!

grayarabpony
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:36 PM

Agreed! He just looked like he wanted to make up some time. :yes:

RunForIt
Mar. 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Corrine and Dobbin at one of their VERY early 3*** events while I was scribing - this was NOT one of his most cooperative efforts, as right in front of the judge at C, dear Dobbin decided that he would NOT stay round and forward...Corrine rode the ultimate "tactful ride", kept the boy together, semi-soft, but defintely forward, into the corner and on to the next movement - and I got to see it all happen. Wayne Quarles was judging I think and he had no problem with me "oh my goodnessing" as he was scoring and commenting. I loved the horse and his name, SOOOOO admired the skillful, accomplished "tactful ride", and LOVED watching the horse go XC the next day. I had no idea who Corrine was at the time, but have followed them since. Such a treat to see that partnership up close all this weekend at my very favorite event!!!!

HOWEVER, I also felt so happy getting to see Jazzy Lady and Blackywly ride too - WE ARE FAM-I-LY us COTHers! :cool: Will figure out next year how to get around and see everyone - scribing has its pluses and minuses...what a lovely weekend though!!!! Y'all come back!

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:18 PM
HOWEVER, I also felt so happy getting to see Jazzy Lady and Blackywly ride too - WE ARE FAM-I-LY us COTHers! :cool: Will figure out next year how to get around and see everyone - scribing has its pluses and minuses...what a lovely weekend though!!!! Y'all come back!

Next time I'll have to be in your ring... we can bump some of them numbers up :p ;)

Stewie
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:30 PM
Was the rawkus individual Mr. h? If so, I've seen him lose it, directed at an organizer friend of mine, and hope the day I'm confronted with someone like him, I can have the poise and cunningness she had!

And, Glory Bound should sell her Tshirts on the USEA site... customize them "Pine Top Volunteer. Argue at your own risk!" "MTPC Volunteer. Argue at your own risk!', etc and so on. You could make enough to pay for all your years events!:lol:

RunForIt
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
Was the rawkus individual Mr. h? If so, I've seen him lose it, directed at an organizer friend of mine, and hope the day I'm confronted with someone like him, I can have the poise and cunningness she had!

And, Glory Bound should sell her Tshirts on the USEA site... customize them "Pine Top Volunteer. Argue at your own risk!" "MTPC Volunteer. Argue at your own risk!', etc and so on. You could make enough to pay for all your years events!:lol:

I want one! And WILL HAVE ONE! (maybe that can be our PTF 3-2-08 T-shirt)

RunForIt
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:22 PM
As I looked back over all my jump judge/score sheets Sunday before handing them in to the office, I checked all of the info and noticed to my chagrin...in the space for date I had written on the early rides: 3-2-50! MY BIRTH DATE! AARRGGHH!!!!

My birthday was celebrated in the PTF office Sunday morning at the end of jump judge briefing with a lovely birthday cake (thank you Janet and Glenn - considered getting Roger Haller to dance to the birthday tune but knowing Roger's LOVE of dancing matches mine, we would have been somewhat late getting that first ride out of the start box~! :winkgrin: )

Anyway, birth date and real date got mixed, so some of the official score sheets are dated: 3 -2- 50!

One Star
Mar. 5, 2008, 09:28 PM

Corinne works for Dover, so it's understandable that she would sport their logo on her saddle pads. They also feature her in the front of their catalogs, along with several other of their employees.

She has been teaching some lessons and clinics but I don't know if her earnings exceed the USEA limit.

Not sure, but my guess is that she will not retain her ammy status for much longer.