PDA

View Full Version : Tallest Thoroughbred You Know?

Nijinsky
Feb. 29, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just got done visiting Diamond F Ranch up the road where my clients mare is being bred at. The horse in the stall next to her is a monster....I swore she was 18 hands and sure enough when I measured her she was 18 '2....ever heard of such a thing?

That is the tallest I have ever seen. She ran 17 times....earning $34,000
5 Wins, 1 second and 3 thirds. :eek: I'm surprised she held up that much.
She produced a SPW who earned $107,000 :)

WWW.CALIFORNIARACEHORSE.NET

SteeleRdr
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:21 PM
I knew a race horse who was, I believe 18.3. He didn't hold up. His registered name was/is Leper. I remember just walking up to his stall and he was next to a horse I used to lease and the horse I leased was a solid 16.2 and WAY taller than her. Knew another that was right around that, he was ginourmous! The second guy was TB, but never raced, and was an eventer, don't remember his registered name, but his barn name was Ollie. Unfortunately he passed away in a tragic field accident, he was under a tree and apparently spooked and threw his head up and broke his neck. A very good reason not to have trees in the field!

Laurierace
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:26 PM
SW Clarence was a stake horse at Penn National years ago. At the time he was the largest horse in TB racing. He was 18 or 18.1, I can't remember. I stood underneath his throatlatch area once and I am almost 5'9" there was plenty of room to spare. Some Asshat sent him to the track in bandages without tape or pins (one of my major pet peeves) and the bandage came loose. He stepped on it and fell and broke his shoulder. Penn National was decent enough to take a partition out of one of the stalls and let him rehab there for the year or more that it took as he was too unstable to be moved. What a cool horse!

lesson junkie
Feb. 29, 2008, 07:39 PM
My friend had one over 18 hands who did the hunters-don't know if he ever raced. He was lovely and a nice guy-just so big-there was horse everywhere!

texang73
Feb. 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
There's a horse currently in training at Sam Houston in Assmusen's barn that is 17.2... Big grey guy. Don't know how he'll do though at the races, he hasn't started yet.

Slewdledo
Feb. 29, 2008, 08:28 PM
Scottish Halo was/is 18.2, I believe. Gorgeous horse, but not much market for a stallion that big.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 1, 2008, 04:36 AM
Wasn't Big Jag 18h? At any rate (or height) he's probably the biggest money earner over 17h. Won the Dubai Golden Shaheen and over 1mil lifetime earnings. I have an even bigger appreciation of him after hearing the discussion about the starting gates being smaller in Dubai than here.

Equus34
Mar. 1, 2008, 10:06 AM
The tallest one I know of, and actually rode was a lovely gray gelding (whose name escapes me) but I called him baby Huey, he was only 3 and was 17.3 he was a monster but as gentle as they come. I remember when the trainer would ship him in to the track for work outs. He had to duck his head to go in or out of the trailer. But he was as gentle and sweet as they come . Sadly he only raced about 5 times, we won one race with him, but that was it.

He started having some knee trouble so the trainer retired him, his wife then started riding him in dressage and they did wonderful together.

Barn Brats Horse Themed Glassware
www.cmmbarnbrats.com

LAZ
Mar. 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
I've got one that is a true 17.3, he's a moose--big bones, big feet as well.

His name is Unbridled Illini, he was bred in IL.

Acertainsmile
Mar. 1, 2008, 10:28 AM
I saw the biggest TB I have ever seen at a farm not far from me... At the time she was a broodmare, and threw a very nice Steeplechace horse that Jonathan Shepard trained... I'm going to have to do some digging to get her name...

I was really amazed at how huge she was... and I dont just mean tall... she was a beast. LOL

added*** I believe the mare is Crossing Denali...the dam of Cherokee in The Hills

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 1, 2008, 03:35 PM
SW Clarence was a stake horse at Penn National years ago. At the time he was the largest horse in TB racing. He was 18 or 18.1, I can't remember. I stood underneath his throatlatch area once and I am almost 5'9" there was plenty of room to spare. Some Asshat sent him to the track in bandages without tape or pins (one of my major pet peeves) and the bandage came loose. He stepped on it and fell and broke his shoulder. Penn National was decent enough to take a partition out of one of the stalls and let him rehab there for the year or more that it took as he was too unstable to be moved. What a cool horse!

I remember Clarence--didn't know about the accident, though.

Rusty Stirrup
Mar. 8, 2008, 07:42 AM
Came across this picture of Ralph (Trojan Shield). A true 18 hands. Thank God he was a sweetheart. He went on to make hunter babies in Canada. I'm the one in blue holding the stuff.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/liteness/from%20photo%20album/TrojanShield.jpg

My2cents
Mar. 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
My friend had a 17.3 hh TB that only raced at the local fair level. He was so big that he broke his hip in the starting gate. This was long enough ago that nothing was padded. I think he may have even had a win in his short career. He was a Bold Ruler grandson and one of the kindest TB's I've ever known. He fractured his coffin bone in a freak pasture accident and was stall bound for 6 months. In that time he NEVER had a 'bad' day. His personality was always bright and happy-go-lucky. Unfortunately as is the case with some TB's, his body was also broken down by all the "medications" that were used at the racetracks. He was a 'colic-of-the-month club president'. Sadly that's what finally did him in.

justdandy
Mar. 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
My uncle had one that he bought as a yearling. He ended up being 17.2 as a 3 year old!!!! I absolutely LOVED that horse. He only ran a couple of times. My uncle decided to take him off the track and sell him as a show horse. I was so mad at him for not letting me have this guy!! His registered name was Teddy's Truce, but we called him Teddy Bear because he was so big and loveable!!! I wish I knew where this guy ended up!

WhiteCamry
Mar. 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
I just got done visiting Diamond F Ranch up the road where my clients mare is being bred at. The horse in the stall next to her is a monster....I swore she was 18 hands and sure enough when I measured her she was 18 '2....ever heard of such a thing?

That is the tallest I have ever seen. She ran 17 times....earning $34,000
5 Wins, 1 second and 3 thirds. :eek: I'm surprised she held up that much.
She produced a SPW who earned $107,000 :)

WWW.CALIFORNIARACEHORSE.NET (http://WWW.CALIFORNIARACEHORSE.NET)

What's her name?

BasqueMom
Mar. 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
Remember seeing an 18.0 TB at a hunter-jumper show in the Chicago area in the late 1980's--big bay! Took my breath away!

Highflyer
Mar. 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
We stood Clarence's dad, Iron (who was only 16 hands) and he came here to be broken. He was a giant--I think he was 18.1. :eek: He won like $300k, too. Not bad for a big horse!

But the biggest TB I've ever seen was by Waquoit--she finished at 18.2. She was over 15.3 in January of her yearling year. She was bred to run over fences but I don't think she ever raced.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 11, 2008, 09:51 PM
Many years ago my farrier (from Great Britain but then living in NC) had a HUGE 18,2 hand TB that he steeplechased initially and then was making into an event horse at that time. The guy was the biggest TB I had or have ever seen!! I have had several over 17 hands, but this one was a GIRAFFE

Thomas_1
Mar. 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
I've got 2 that are 17.2