PDA

View Full Version : Favorite stallions standing today..

La Gringa
Feb. 24, 2008, 04:26 PM
I have been just browsing around the TB stallion pages, pedigrees etc..

It seems that Storm Cat is one of the highest priced stallions,

what others are at the top right now? Dynaformer, Barbaro's daddy seems to be up there too, for good reason!

What stallions are really producing great babies?

Just curiosity, I find the breeding/pedigree stuff very interesting. I can spend hours studying them.

:winkgrin:

LaurieB
Feb. 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
New kid at the top of the game: Distorted Humor

Old Guard not giving way: A.P. Indy

I'm with you, I could study pedigrees for hours. :)

ravenclaw
Feb. 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
Smart Strike has been around for a while, but 2007 was his best year with Curlin and with English Channel winning at the Breeder's Cup.

Awesome Again seems to always have a horse winning a big race.

Another one I like is Indian Charlie. He is becoming more high-profile because of Indian Blessing, but he has had other good ones too (Fleet Indian, etc.).

Eventer55
Feb. 24, 2008, 07:23 PM
Has anyone heard of City Zip. I can't pull up his record for some reason, I'll keep trying.

My husband and I went to Belmont a year ago and bet on everything that was City Zip bred and walked away with money. . . fluke or not?

LaurieB
Feb. 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
Here you go, Eventer55:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=4444702&origin=link

Bfore moving to Kentucky City Zip spent his first few years at stud standing in NY, and his offspring from those years do very well in the NY-Bred races.

Norcrest
Feb. 24, 2008, 08:10 PM
I love AP Indy and City Zip. Have a mare who is going to foal tonite with a grandbaby of AP Indy's and I have a super nice broodmare prospect named City Zipper who we are going to breed later this year. Those are my top 2 stallions, 3rd choice would be Gone West he throws pure speed to his progeny

Eventer55
Feb. 24, 2008, 08:15 PM
Ok, so City Zip is my favorite horse at stud today.

LaurieB
Feb. 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
Norcrest, I'm a huge Gone West fan too. We bought a filly by him last September, and just got back from visiting her at the training center. Here's hoping he gave her some of that "pure speed" you were talking about. :)

Xctrygirl
Feb. 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
I am firmly stuck in the category of rooting for the non big $$$ studs.

I love Catenius, Not for Love, Proud Citizen, Two Punch, Eddington, Congaree (Lad's Nephew) and Quiet American.

I love this group of boys and hope that their progeny continue to carry on their legacy faithfully.

~Emily

ivy62
Feb. 24, 2008, 11:05 PM
I like Sky Mesa and am waiting to see what Invasor does but I know that will take a few years!

SteeleRdr
Feb. 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
I am firmly stuck in the category of rooting for the non big $$$ studs.

I love Catenius, Not for Love, Proud Citizen, Two Punch, Eddington, Congaree (Lad's Nephew) and Quiet American.

I love this group of boys and hope that their progeny continue to carry on their legacy faithfully.

~Emily

I'm with you on Not for Love, Two Punch, and Quiet American. Have dealt with "kids" of all of theirs and I adored each one on and off the track.

I'm also partial to some of the big ones...like Sadler's Wells.

Texarkana
Feb. 24, 2008, 11:56 PM
Another fan of Congaree and Awesome Again here.

Louis Quatorze is another of my perpetual favorites. He throws good horses all around for race or sport.

I've always thought Behrens is absolutely gorgeous and I love his paper. It's a shame his kids have done very little on the track and in the sales ring. I would still love to breed to him someday if I ever end up with mares in California.

As you can tell, my favorites by no means necessarily represent what's popular commercially.

LaurieB
Feb. 25, 2008, 10:28 AM
I forgot to mention Street Cry earlier. With only 2 crops to race so far, he's made a huge splash in a short amount of time.

Texarkana
Feb. 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
I forgot to mention Street Cry earlier. With only 2 crops to race so far, he's made a huge splash in a short amount of time.

Oh my goodness, yes. I imagine his stud fee is only going to keep going up, up, and away!

ravenclaw
Feb. 25, 2008, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I like Street Cry too. He is a beautiful horse and I've heard he has a good disposition. If his foals don't want to be racehorses, I bet they will make good sport horses.

LaurieB
Feb. 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I like Street Cry too. He is a beautiful horse and I've heard he has a good disposition. If his foals don't want to be racehorses, I bet they will make good sport horses.

Ours has a great temperament and she's a wonderful mover. I've never seen her jump, lol, but I suspect she would make a good sport horse.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/LaurienB/Shriek-9-23-07.jpg

One of the things I like about Street Cry is that he doesn't have the typical American pedigree. His dam's side brings some really interesting things to the mix.

lesson junkie
Feb. 25, 2008, 01:27 PM
What is it about reading those stacks of names in that tiny print? I read the Blood Horse site most every day and then spend even more time looking at the breeding. I get a HUGE charge in seeing any name relating to my OTTB. I enjoyed watching English Channel last year-can't wait to see if his foals can match his heart.