PDA

View Full Version : Area II - Redland Hunt PC HT? ROLLCALL!

Invested1
Feb. 22, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thoughts on this HT?
Particularly the Training course, but I may have friends doing the BN and N courses, so all input is appreciated! :D

mosmom
Feb. 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'm interest in this as well.

thumbsontop
Feb. 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
We will be there. My daughter's trainer said it's a good one, though I've also heard it's a "fun course" (whatever that means!). Slim pickins' for April at BN so I'm not sure there's much choice!

OneDaySoon
Feb. 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
It's a fair course, although some of us had uncharacteristic XC stops or even Es there last year getting the Spring cob webs off. Don't take any of the jumps for granted - not that they are difficult - just keep your wits about you. It's a really well run event and great place to start the year.

Training jumps that were problematic last year:

Jump 3 - airy logs jumping down a hill. Several horses had issues.

Jump 11? - a roll top into the water. The roll top is at the bottom of a hill, on a turn around a tree...and Bam, there's this easy, but unexpected roll top jumping into water.

Maybe others can add more.

eloquence09
Feb. 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
I did this HT as a first outing of the year at training 2 years ago. The XC course was very straightforward and I remember the stadium being nowhere near max height but it was a turny course. It was a good first event of the season for me.

mosmom
Feb. 22, 2008, 01:49 PM
Has anyone ever done their BN? What's that course like? Water, Dithches, Bank...etc.?

bambam
Feb. 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
all of their courses tend to be good first times at a level
stadium is on grass on a little bit of a hill and can be slippy and chewed up if it rains . . . and it always rains the week before or during it (kind of like it always rains for the Waredaca fall HT weekend)
the water can cause some issues because of the approach to it and because the water itself is now aquamarine
the year before last the new little trakhener (for training, I think novice was just a ditch but could be wrong) caused lots of problems but that was mostly rider error and/or lack of anticipating that the horses would look (did not see novice and training run last year so don;t know if it caused the same problems then)
good first event of the season and the people who run it are great

Invested1
Feb. 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Training jumps that were problematic last year:

Jump 3 - airy logs jumping down a hill. Several horses had issues.

Have you done the Rubicon T course? Is the Jump 3 you're talking about here similar to Rubicon's Jump 5? (the gargoyle jump)

Catalina
Feb. 22, 2008, 02:24 PM
Great event!

Dressage can be a bit overwhelming for a horse who hasn't been out much. It is on top of a hill overlooking everything and can cause some eye bugging in greenies.
Stadium is on a slight hill and tends to have tight turns and the jumps are packed together, but it is not difficult if you keep your horse balanced and deep in the corners.
BN XC is straightforward, but there can be several perceived bogie jumps that threaten to eat certain horses ;). As long as you keep going forward, it is not a difficult course. The aquamarine water with the loudly chirping frogs can be a bit disconcerting. The ditch is more of an indent in the ground- very easy. The bank last year caused a lot of problems and a few Es. The bank is sloped on one side with the other three being step ups or downs depending on which direction you are going. Last year, you had to step up one side of the bank after a semi tight turn around a tree. A number of people cut the turn too short and suprised their horses with the bank. Jump three (I think?) was also an issue. It was a nice slope made of logs (official name is escaping me) on top of a hill that caused a lot of :eek: :eek: :eek:.

bambam
Feb. 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
Have you done the Rubicon T course? Is the Jump 3 you're talking about here similar to Rubicon's Jump 5? (the gargoyle jump)
WAY easier than the Rubicon hanging log on with the downhill landing in the field with the water jump if that is the fence you mean

Ride Irish
Feb. 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
I did BN last Spring as my first rec. HT with my guy. The up bank was pretty big, but as Cat said if you didn't cut the turn to it it rode well (even when I shoved liked crazy!). The log in the tree line that Cat mentioned caused us a stop becasue they can't really see what is on the other side until a few strides out. In hindsight if I had briskly trotted to it instead of cantering I don't think we would have had a problem. My horse at the time was not a fan of the water, but went right in even with the frogs (I think it helped that it was the first turn towards home). The ditch is small but, at the time, my horse was ditchy so we had a stop. Once he had a look he went right over. The rest was very straight forward. The BN XC was a big confidence builder for us and was a lot of fun. Stadium also rode well, a little hilly but it was on the smaller side. We will be there again this Spring at BN since the hard ground during last summer cut our season really short and June was the last time we competed.

yellowbritches
Feb. 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
All the courses there are great. I suffered the wrath of the Big E last year, but both horses I rode (one at novice and one at BN) were, umm, NOT wanting to play the game...EVER. Our more "experienced" novice horses thought the oxer on the hill was pretty spectacular and both had funny jumps at it. The training is fun and great for either first time at that level, or for a first cobweb clearing outing. I've ridden it on both a first timer and an experienced horse who had been out of competition for awhile. It was great for both of them. I especially like the training course as an early season/first time course because typically the training level questions are asked with novice size-ish jumps (not always), but all the galloping fences are good training size fences.

Stadium is nice with a little terrain. I often think it is on the small side, which again is nice for an early event.

I've yet to have a good test there, but that could be more because of the horses I've ridden there and not because of the atmosphere (which CAN be daunting!).

Ride Irish
Feb. 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just reread Cat's post...3 and 4 were called the Roller Coaster (I think). Oxer type airy logs to down hill, up hill to 4 which was the same type of jump as 3 but a single log. It did cause problems, but my boy didn't seem to mind those.

Invested1
Feb. 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
WAY easier than the Rubicon hanging log on with the downhill landing in the field with the water jump if that is the fence you mean

Yes ma'am, that's the one! :D

Well, yay, sounds like it will be a good "cobweb clearing" event! And I LOFF that it's a 1-dayer! :yes:

OneDaySoon
Feb. 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
Here's a (crappy) photo of Training Jump 3. I did not have problems at that jump, but my usually brave horse did take a look. Others had one or more stops.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/41250/2387540500098335381S600x600Q85.jpg

I think I know which logs you mean at Rubicon. I haven't had a problem there, just that dumb roll top :no: into water at Redland.

Also, the BN course and N course are both very doable. My boy started his eventing career there as a 4 year old, and everything was good. Note to Self: Remember XC course and don't forget any jumps!!!

Invested1
Feb. 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
Here's a (crappy) photo of Training Jump 3. I did not have problems at that jump, but my usually brave horse did take a look. Others had one or more stops.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/41250/2387540500098335381S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks kinda similar to this one?
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK002S050021&po=21

asterix
Feb. 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
Actually, that one looks airier than the one at Redland. The one problem with the courses there (well, besides the mud, see my next para) is that they sometimes start out easy, easy, easy, BAM -- that was the case with that Training jump -- the first two jumps were teeny and that one was a genuine training jump with terrain.

The other problem (not their fault, this one!) is that the back half of the course, where the water is, is very low lying and boggy. It can be really, really deep back there, so be prepared to trot or in general pick your way. one year they actually had to omit that back half, so no water for anyone.

Still and all, they tend to be nice first outings for the year.

Invested1
Feb. 22, 2008, 05:10 PM
Actually, that one looks airier than the one at Redland.

Sweet!!!

Yah, that jump was at my 2nd Training HT and it had me *really* nervous! You can see in the next picture that I had a HUGE smile on my face as we were landing, and I actually have it on video that I YELLED, "GOOD BOY!!!!!!!" :lol:

eventertblover
Feb. 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
aww you guys have me all excited.
this is going to be my first recognized event with my boy.
and hopefully it will be a confidence booster.

flyingchange
Feb. 23, 2008, 01:30 PM
I love Redland. It is such a nice first event of the year. Really well run and friendly.

I have only ever done training there, but when I did it, the water was just a pass through and then a jump a couple of strides out on the exit. I am a little surprised that they have a rolltop into the water now, even if it is a small rolltop. Wow. Oh well, I guess I'm behind the times on what is OK to put on training courses now.

The SJ there is always a nice course. I guess the jumps are on the small side because a couple of years ago I did Loudoun the weekend after Redland and I was :eek: at the size of the jumps on the T course. I was SURE that the course I was looking at was set at P, not T. But I was wrong, LOL. So my point is that if they haven't changed the stadium into true T sized jumps, be prepared to see bigger jumps at your next HT.

Edited to say that I just remembered that I have also done Novice there ... I just completely forgot (duh)! Novice (when I did it - think that was 2005) was a great first time out for the season and fun. The "ditch" then was a little indention that my horse didn't even lift his legs to jump - just ran through it, LOL.

Something else that really stuck out at me a couple of years ago was the little trakhener that they put on the BN course (it was on BN, right? Or Novice?) I thought that was a little unusual for such an early season event at those levels and felt bad for the people who had stops and Es there.

StrawberryFields
Feb. 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
what about their BN course? I am interested because my friend and I will both be doing the Beginner Novice....any information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

Catalina
Feb. 25, 2008, 09:42 AM
what about their BN course? I am interested because my friend and I will both be doing the Beginner Novice....any information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

See my previous post and Ride Irish's :).

The BN course for the most part is a good first outing. There are a few jumps that can cause a horse to :eek: :eek: :eek:, but, as long as you ride to the jumps correctly and keep the forward momentum, you should be fine. Trotting the bogie jumps is also not a bad idea :yes:.

Catalina
Feb. 25, 2008, 09:46 AM
Note to Self: Remember XC course and don't forget any jumps!!!

You had that same problem too? :lol: Last year I was in 2nd place going into XC. We had a stellar run up until the moment that I completely forgot about the last jump :mad: :mad: :mad:. My well meaning non-horsie fried who was standing by the finish flags kindly pointed out that I missed the last jump. Whoops and a big E for me :o.

mosmom
Feb. 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
The water is aqua color? Does anybody have pics of it? I'm just curious to see what it looks like:). Without going there to school how can you prepare your horse for this since everyone around here has "normal looking" water complexes?

asterix
Feb. 25, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hmm, not sure if they took pics last year. Was it still aqua last year? I ran it the year before, when the water was BRAND spanking new, and I thought perhaps it was that way because they had just filled it.
It was, um, sort of turquoise. Definitely not natural looking. I didn't have my greenbean then so I don't know how the green horses dealt with it. My training horse did not have an issue but we just ramped in -- had we been jumping in he might have found that a reason to be hesitant...

Catalina
Feb. 27, 2008, 10:42 AM
The water was definitely green and the frogs were really LOUD :lol:. I got a good long look at it because Ty decided that tiptoeing into it was the best bet and then once we got in, he developed molasses feet, so I got a really good look at the water from straight above. Yep, definitely green.

Invested1
Mar. 4, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ok, so who's going??

curlykarot
Mar. 4, 2008, 02:29 PM
I sent my entry in today! This will be my horse's first recognized and my first recgonized event in 7 years! We'll be going BN.

I was a little concerned about him being fit enough since trot sets haven't really been feesible due to riding after work and the ground (frozen or deep mud) but yesterday I realized we are sprining forward next week. That will help alot!

StrawberryFields
Mar. 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
it will be my first rec event, too! I'll be doing BN......:D

I wanted to go novice but I only get to ride her 4 days a week, sadly.

she is super calm, though! and her dressage and XC are excellent

asterix
Mar. 4, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just sent in baby's first HT entry :D
We have some homework to do between now and then but I am excited!
My husband is excited for "his" horse to compete -- maybe I can convince the announcer to say "Now on course, asterix riding Mr. asterix's Django" :cool:
(he's also a fan of "in the irons for...")
Riding 2 years, where does he come up with this stuff?

Invested1
Mar. 4, 2008, 03:12 PM
Ok, remind me where I get the entry form? (Been awhile that I've had to fill anything other than evententries.com out!)

asterix
Mar. 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
you cyber chick!
You can go to useventing.com and go into "Forms" on the side nav -- there is a downloadable PDf that you can fill out and print out.
Also a hard copy in the back of the print omnibus.

inquisitive
Mar. 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
I entered Novice. It will be both my and my horse's first recognized :)

Any advice? :lol:

Invested1
Mar. 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
you cyber chick!
You can go to useventing.com and go into "Forms" on the side nav -- there is a downloadable PDf that you can fill out and print out.
Also a hard copy in the back of the print omnibus.

Thanks man! Walking to post office now!

So, you running Training? We need to officially "meet" now that YOU convinced me to join the sport. :winkgrin:

Moody Mare
Mar. 4, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Everyone!

A few pictures of RHPC's XC jumps can be seen here: http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/XC%20Pics.htm

Not the best quality pictures though.

In 2007 the water was not aqua. ;-)

It's a very nice farm, and a great early season event.
Hope to see you all there!

asterix
Mar. 4, 2008, 08:29 PM
No, Invested, not Training, BN, and let me tell ya, those jumps look HUGE :D

My big guy and I made it around a prelim at the end of last season, so we are doing Morven Training to knock the cobwebs off and then contemplating a renewed attack on the mighty "P" -- I am skipping Redland Training on the grounds that he OUGHT to find it ridiculously easy. hmm.

But I have a baby horsey that will be doing his first ever horse trial -- we are very excited!! Need to go school things that height in the field, though -- he is happily jumping bigger than BN in the ring and has been fearless out on XC schooling, but mostly over littler stuff so far....

eep!

But they run on the same day, BN and T, so hopefully we will overlap and I can meet you!

galwaybay
Mar. 4, 2008, 11:07 PM
A couple of years ago Redland was our first time out at Training = we had heard it was a good first step-up course. There were 1 or 2 jumps that gave me nightmares - one was a big table coming out of the woods, and then the roll tops in the water. That year spring rains hit pretty good and I think that had an effect on some of the horses - there is a pretty steep downhill which a couple of riders said something about Man From Snowy River. However, the next day the organizers took that section out of the course because of deteriorating conditions.

Last year weather much improved and our horses did quite well. I think it is a great event and I am always keen to return to a place where the organizers and volunteers do such a nice job

Catalina
Mar. 5, 2008, 07:54 AM
I'm going :D. This will be my first HT with Connor so we are going BN. I rode him on Monday for the first time in over two months and I am SORE and we have a lot of work to do in the upcoming weeks, but I am looking forward to it.

Catalina
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:08 AM
Jump #3This jump caused A LOT of problems last year (http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/RHPC%20USEA%20HT%2007%20030.jpg)

S4zeus
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:17 AM
I did Training there last year. I loved the stadium course. It was twisty but rode really well. I personally didn't have any issues with their cross country but my friend did have an issue at jump 3. Like it was said before 3 and 4 are "airy" logs on a bending line. Jump 3 is down hill then you make a left hand turn back up the hill to 4. I was really worried about one of the later jumps on course, I can't remember numbers now, you had to jump a fence in the fence line and make a hard left hand turn to a biggish oxer. http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/RHPC%20USEA%20HT%2007%20025.jpg This was the jump after the one in the fence line. If I remember correctly. It ended up riding just fine.

I had problems the most with Dressage. I went really early in the AM and the grass rings were slick because of the dew and I had wished I had taken the time to put studs in for dressage.

Redline Guy
Mar. 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/RHPC%20USEA%20HT%2007%20025.jpg This was the jump after the one in the fence line. If I remember correctly. It ended up riding just fine.

Which leads one to wonder why they had the emergency equipment parked there? :lol:

See ya'll there!

inquisitive
Mar. 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
Jump #3This jump caused A LOT of problems last year (http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/RHPC%20USEA%20HT%2007%20030.jpg)

I can't really see the hill afterwards that seemed to be causing an issue. Does anyone have a better picture from the back?
Thanks!

pharmgirl
Mar. 7, 2008, 09:23 AM
inquisitive- don't know if it helps, but if you look at that photo again, you can see #4 in the background. It's tough to tell with the grass, but you can kind of make out the type of hill you go up to get to #4 from #3. There was also that type of hill going down after #3.

Here are a couple pictures from a different angle, if that helps. Thanks to mythical84 and her pony for being the jump models! :)

http://tinyurl.com/3cbtez

http://tinyurl.com/3358fl

justhanginon
Mar. 7, 2008, 09:44 AM
Ok I need to stop looking at these pictures.I just sent in my daughter's entry (first recognized!!) and now I can begin to stress. The second pic with the BN fence wasn't too scary but that first picture was - just tell me it is the angle that makes it look big :).

inquisitive
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:39 AM
inquisitive- don't know if it helps, but if you look at that photo again, you can see #4 in the background. It's tough to tell with the grass, but you can kind of make out the type of hill you go up to get to #4 from #3. There was also that type of hill going down after #3.

Here are a couple pictures from a different angle, if that helps. Thanks to mythical84 and her pony for being the jump models! :)

http://tinyurl.com/3cbtez

http://tinyurl.com/3358fl

Thanks! It doesn't seem that bad... I thought it was actually like a drop fence where the ground sloped away right afterwards!

technopony
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:54 AM
I was there last year. The stadium course was fairly easy and definitely not maxed out. The XC had some elements that suprised some horses (as others have mentioned, the airy logs in jump #3, the water complex, the bank) but seemed to be a really fair, fairly easy course appropriate for early in the season. It is hilly and a bit twisty but nothing really hard as long as you walk it and are sure of your plan to each jump. The BN ditch is really just an indentation in the ground after a small log, so the horses don't even realize its there until they are already over it. The trakehner is very easy and inviting (at least for my horses) and was not in BN - don't remember if it was in N either last year. Overall, well run and fun event. Plus, the smoothie lady comes!

technopony
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
Forgot to say - not that this will help for this year, but there is usually a Hunter Pace (Goshen) the weekend after the HT so that's a good opportunity to school the xc.

Invested1
Apr. 7, 2008, 02:12 PM
We had a good chat re: this event.

Now, who's going?! :D

curlykarot
Apr. 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'll be there going BN.

Went XC schooling a weekend ago to prepare and get out and moving. It went well - I just have to remember to RIDE up to fences that look big to me. Appearently my horse won't just jump it anyway if I'm staring down and not putting any leg on. LOL :winkgrin:

inquisitive
Apr. 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'll be XC jump judging Saturday as Q is still healing. Not sure exactly where but say hi if you see me (Heidi)!

Have fun everyone!

OneDaySoon
Apr. 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
I'll be there for 4th year in a row, trying to get Big 'Pony' and rider in a bit better shape for our return to Prelim this year. It's a lovely course, the volunteers are great, and a covenient stones throw from my house. Can't wait to take the Phat Pony there next year for his Redland debut.

Be prepared for rain - no matter what!

On behalf of the riders, thanks to everyone for helping out with the event.

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2008, 03:57 PM
The big fancy grey horse's daddy will be riding there at BN, but not on the BFG. BFG is still recovering from surgery a few weeks ago and likely won't be seen out until late June.:( But lucky dad has a friend with a horse not doing anything, so he's taking the fat, lazy WB (as he calls it) to its first event. I may be around giving him a hand and cheering him on. Otherwise, we're sticking to home.

Invested1
Apr. 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
The big fancy grey horse's daddy will be riding there at BN, but not on the BFG. BFG is still recovering from surgery a few weeks ago and likely won't be seen out until late June.:( But lucky dad has a friend with a horse not doing anything, so he's taking the fat, lazy WB (as he calls it) to its first event. I may be around giving him a hand and cheering him on. Otherwise, we're sticking to home.

Totally random, but I LOFF this picture!! :lol:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2834567650084009341DmzqMa
You can absolutely read both of your minds!! He's all "Nope, not havin' it, no way!" and you "please, come on!" :D

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
Ahh, yes...he was so totally charming sometimes :rolleyes:

EAlli
Apr. 7, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'm gonna be there. But seeing as it's my horse's and my first training level, I will probably be the one with the big dark bay, throwing up behind the trailer before XC.:eek:

Ride Irish
Apr. 8, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'll be there doing BN with my big, white, over sized Irish pony! I can't wait since I really loved the XC, volunteers and venue last year. Such a nice HT.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully we'll have great weather like last year.

Did anyone get a confirmation that your entry was received? I can't remember from last year if they sent one...

Invested1
Apr. 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
So after my dressage lesson last night, I think I'm going to go ahead and call Anchorman (yes, again!) for my division... :sigh:

asterix
Apr. 9, 2008, 09:51 AM
Irish, I got a postcard a while ago confirming entry.

We will be there in BN for baby-debut! Really have no idea what to expect -- so many "firsts" for him, but many's the day he totally bowls me over with his "ok, so what" attitude towards new stuff...

feeling a bit better after he bounded over the dreaded portapottie jump at FMF with nary a hesitation (although the weaving of his head back and forth as he processed the portapots on the approach was pretty funny. he never slowed down, though, and as soon as he saw the actual JUMP he was fine)...

We need a babies-first-time division!

Invested, don't be so sure! I did Redland after a successful trip 'round the T3d, feeling all confident and "oh, it's just Redland", did a nice dressage test and a nice SJ, cruised out on xc going "wow, he HAS learned how to gallop!" ...right on down to that itty bitty trakhener. Turns out galloping downhill and crooked, not the preferred approach. Sank right down to the bottom o the division that way!!! :D

So kick on and have fun, dressage be damned!

lilypondlane
Apr. 9, 2008, 10:04 AM
My boy, Pete, will be there with Sara, doing BN. His first time there.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/lilypondlanefarm/For%20Petes%20Sake/PeteySaraWaredacaOct2007.jpg

Invested1
Apr. 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
So kick on and have fun, dressage be damned!

Can you make me a bumper sticker that says that? :lol:

Invested1
Apr. 9, 2008, 10:15 AM
Invested, don't be so sure! I did Redland after a successful trip 'round the T3d, feeling all confident and "oh, it's just Redland", did a nice dressage test and a nice SJ, cruised out on xc going "wow, he HAS learned how to gallop!" ...right on down to that itty bitty trakhener. Turns out galloping downhill and crooked, not the preferred approach. Sank right down to the bottom o the division that way!!! :D

Ok, so maybe I'll just call Anchorman for dressage? :winkgrin:

asterix
Apr. 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
Sure, if it makes you feel better!
But in my experience, crappy dressage practice makes for good test that weekend (this does not seem to work in the jumping phases, alas)...so...

Invested1
Apr. 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
Sure, if it makes you feel better!
But in my experience, crappy dressage practice makes for good test that weekend (this does not seem to work in the jumping phases, alas)...so...

If that were true, we'd always be in the top! :lol:

Catalina
Apr. 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'll be there doing BN with Connor. We are going XC schooling for the first time EVER tomorrow and we have never cantered a stadium course :eek:. Who me, nervous? :lol:

(Mind you, before you all think I am insane, he has gone recognized Training before, just not with me).

curlykarot
Apr. 16, 2008, 08:48 AM
Times are up! :D
http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/Horse%20Trials%20MAIN.htm

My times aren't bad, I don't go until 1pm - this means plenty of time to braid in the AM :)

pharmgirl
Apr. 16, 2008, 09:44 AM
asterix- how did you decide on your greenie's show name? (i.e. how did he get a different one than his barn name since the others I know you have/had had just one name). Luckily my boy is already registered, otherwise this would give my DH some ideas :D (he wanted me to have some names that referenced OpenBSD).

Can't wait to see everyone go there! I will be out there at least on Sunday to cheer on all the babies making their debuts (and take some pics).

justhanginon
Apr. 16, 2008, 09:52 AM
Times are up! :D
http://www.redlandhunt.ponyclub.org/Horse%20Trials%20MAIN.htm

My times aren't bad, I don't go until 1pm - this means plenty of time to braid in the AM :)

My daughter rides Sunday around 1:40. So we are going to attempt to braid too. If you see a cute buckskin pony that looks like she is having a really bad hair day that would probably mean my braiding did not go well. She shakes her head like a dog EVERY SINGLE TIME you do anything to her mane. I have also not braided in years and never did it much to begin with... any pointers ?

curlykarot
Apr. 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
justhanginon - I haven't braided since November, and my braids need to be more consistant in thier sizing. My forelock braiding looks awful which sucks since people tend to notice my horse's big head even without awful braiding.;)

Perhaps you can practice sometime this week? Also, do a search for Robby's braiding clinic - I think that is the title. Robby posted some great step by step pics that I found very helpful!

justhanginon
Apr. 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
curlykarot - Thanks. I do need to watch that again. I know how to do it - technically speaking, but being able to do it is another story. Hope to meet you Sunday, what does your horse look like ?(beside the big head ,that is :) ) Or do you know your number and want to share it ?

scubed
Apr. 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
asterix- how did you decide on your greenie's show name? (i.e. how did he get a different one than his barn name since the others I know you have/had had just one name). Luckily my boy is already registered, otherwise this would give my DH some ideas (he wanted me to have some names that referenced OpenBSD).

Can't answer for asterix, but if I get one that has a barn name, I give it a show name that is related, like Kodak becomes picture perfect or Dressed to Dance for Tux etc. I've done both, taken a given registered name and made a barn name or taken the barn name and made a show name

Catalina
Apr. 16, 2008, 12:26 PM
I go at 1:48 and my horse will be the unbraided one :p :lol:.

I am trailering curlykarot and her boy and I am so excited that she will be there since this is my first foray out with my new beastie and we are bothtrainerless (mine is doing the ** at Fair Hill, her's is in Florida).

I keep alternating between extreme nervousness and excitement :eek:. This should be interesting.

Invested1
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
If anyone is there on Sunday, I always loff meeting COTHers!! :yes:

Horse is Invested Interest -- if you see us, come say hi!!!

Redline Guy
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:26 PM
Just got back from the venue. Place looks awesome, as usual! Freshly painted fences in stadium, and gorgeous X/C. If the weather-persons have it right (for a change), should be a great day tomorrow, and not too bad on Sunday.

See ya'll there!

InVA
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm going. I was able to get a friend's entry at the last minute - like today! - and so we're going Novice! it will be a blast!

Invested1
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm going. I was able to get a friend's entry at the last minute - like today! - and so we're going Novice! it will be a blast!

You have a PT.

justhanginon
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:38 PM
If anyone is there on Sunday, I always loff meeting COTHers!! :yes:

Horse is Invested Interest -- if you see us, come say hi!!!

I'll look for you. My daughter doesn't ride until 1:40 something. Do you usually stick around a bit or do you pack it in right after you are done? We are still the new to eventing people who seem to dilly dally around and take it all in. Her trainer will usually stick around if he has students going but generally moves out pretty quickly. But then again he's probably been to a bazillion HTs so I imagine it isn't quite as thrilling to him as it is to us. :)

Invested1
Apr. 18, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'll look for you. My daughter doesn't ride until 1:40 something. Do you usually stick around a bit or do you pack it in right after you are done? We are still the new to eventing people who seem to dilly dally around and take it all in. Her trainer will usually stick around if he has students going but generally moves out pretty quickly. But then again he's probably been to a bazillion HTs so I imagine it isn't quite as thrilling to him as it is to us. :)

I'm known to hang out a bit. :lol:

I'll be done around noon but told a friend I would stick around for his dressage test (a little before 2).

Will likely leave around 2:30-3pm.....

Invested1
Apr. 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm out.
Ted's lame.
Someone must have told him about tomorrow.
:sigh:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh, NO! :no:

Damn, Invested--I am SO sorry! :cry:

I guess the solace is that hopefully he will be okay for DRHT?? Please keep us posted...

Invested1
Apr. 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
Oh, NO! :no:

Damn, Invested--I am SO sorry! :cry:

I guess the solace is that hopefully he will be okay for DRHT?? Please keep us posted...

Hope so!!! We *really* have not gotten one, good, full year in yet! :cry:

Was weird--he was fine warming up today--we even ran through our test and it was fine (well, for us anyway! :lol:). Then he just felt NQR. I got off and lunged--yup, saw it to the left (looked totally fine to the right). Took him to a different ring (just to be sure it wasn't the footing) and still saw it. I'd give it a 2.

No heat, no swelling, no sensitivity, no fever.
My farrier is going out tonight (he's so good!) to shoe a different horse so I asked if he has a few extra minutes if he'd take the hooftesters to Ted and see if he finds anything.....

The first time he pulls up lame this year and it's the day before an event. :sigh:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Argh, that really sucks :sigh:

Maybe it will turn out to be nothing; but of course too late for you in this case...(Dang, woman, you have had more than your share of bad luck--enough already!!)

Hang in there...

Invested1
Apr. 20, 2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I guess it actually saved me a drive as I had planned to leave the barn at 7am this morning:

*** CANCELLED ***

Sunday, April 20

9:35 AM Due to the amount of rain, thunder and lighting, we have cancelled the horse trial for Sunday April 20, 2008.

The XC schooling day scheduled for Monday is also cancelled.

Redland Hunt Pony Club would like to thank all our wonderful competitors, officials, volunteers, families and friends, for your support in making our horse trials a great success year after year ! We look forward to seeing you all in 2009.

mythical84
Apr. 20, 2008, 11:33 AM
As I was driving out to the barn to start braiding horses, I was getting worried b/c of the lightning around me. Disappointing, but probably a good decision.

topaz731
Apr. 20, 2008, 12:51 PM
Having gotten up at 4:30 this morning to make it there I was incredibly unimpressed with the hasty decision-making process. I got there and rode my dressage as one of the first in training to go. There was about a rumble of thunder twice as well as a couple lightning flashes which is when the hold went into effect. ... for 20 minutes. Having been to another event a month or so ago where sheets upon sheets of rain came down with dark clouds overhead; there was at least an hour long hold, if not slightly longer. It continued to rain even after the hold, so apparently horses can run and jump in the rain. The hour long drive back home, fuming over wasted time and wasted money all I could think about (lightening and thunder free) is how ridiculous this was. I can understand them wanting to announce a cancellation early enough so others wouldn't make the same mistake I did if the weather continued,but um....it didn't. If more time had been given on the hold and the weather continued I could certainly understand also. But 20 minutes- give me a break. Excuse the rant. But other events as well have even made an attempt at rescheduling sometimes- when we asked about that we got "yeah, next year". Yeah...well I think not. A shame, the course was nice and inviting and stadium looked great. It's really disappointing sometimes in the vast differences in the way that events are run.

asterix
Apr. 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
Well, I made it almost to the barn when I got the call. We were so close we went and rode at home, and I will admit that I was disappointed (baby's first event!)...but then it got to the time of my dressage test, midday. It started pouring again. I just got home, right when I would have gone cross country, and it was absolutely torrential AGAIN.

I doubt I would have run my horse in these conditions anyway at his first outing. I do not blame them for cancelling, although it does stink. I assume they did not cancel based solely on the weather of the moment but on radar, etc. -- when I was grumpy during a lull in the rain a fellow boarder told me she had seen lots more stuff on the radar coming our way...

justhanginon
Apr. 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately we made it ALL THE WAY there to find out it was cancelled.So the pony now thinks she gets braided to go on really long trailer rides. It was good braiding practice for me - they didn't look half bad. But I was worried about how the footing would be for xc and I definitely didn't want to be the one to tell the 14 yr old to scratch if necessary. So the day basically sucked and the said 14 year old was absolutley crushed that they couldn't go. But my feeling is, everything happens for a reason. However between gas, entry fee etc etc it might be more fun to light $200 on fire. ;)

polarbear
Apr. 20, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys
I can say that the weather here was terrible all day off and on, with lightning and thunder off and on..The Organizer told me that the decision to cancel was made by the TD and the President of the Ground Jury based on Doppler radar provided by the EMT's that showed more thunderstorm activity on the way.

We are a former Redland family and still volunteer every year. Redland Hunt Pony Club does not own the property where they have the horse trial. They are able to hold the event each year SOLELY due to the graciousness and genorosity of the property owner. The Pony Club DOES NOT have the luxury of rescheduling.

I can tell you that the Pony Club works very hard to create a nice venue. It was just really unfortunate for every one..This was the first time Redland has EVER had to cancel...

As a competitor, I do understand that the cancellation is disappointing, especially with the costs of everything these days...I just think that if folks expect these venues to continue, they need to understand that there are realities and constraints that organizers have to work under...Weather is certainly an important one of those constraints...

bambam
Apr. 20, 2008, 05:11 PM
topaz- I understand your frustration but I know Redland neither made this decision lightly nor was it simply because of a little rain.
As someone else said, my understanding is that the decision was made based on looking at doppler and the fact that the doppler showed that this band of weather was a series of thunderstorms after thunderstorms that would be coming all day. As someone who was in Olney most of the day,it may not have continued to rain and thunder where you were but it did here. Could they have gambled and held it? maybe because the thunder was not constand but it was a reasonable call IMHO

pharmgirl
Apr. 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Well said polarbear and bambam. I'm sure it is very frustrating to have an event cancel, especially after one has traveled to get there, but it truly was for the best. In light of all the safety talk going on in our sport, I feel we should remind ourselves that this was done for the safety of the horses, riders, volunteers, etc (I believe there is a rule about stopping whenever thunder/lightening is in the vicinity- which around here today would have been quite a lot). If it had continued, people still would have ridden anyway and we most likely would have heard complaints about how bad the footing, visibility, etc was.

At least competitors yesterday had wonderful weather!

justhanginon
Apr. 20, 2008, 05:32 PM
polarbear - I wasn't complaining that they cancelled - more just whining about the circumstances (and the weather). I wouldn't have wanted her going xc, or stadium on the grass for that matter, in the wet/mud. I know what is involved in getting one of those events to happen and I am sure they didn't cancel without lots of consideration.

Redline Guy
Apr. 20, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ditto what polarbear and bam bam said. We were hoping for a good day today also.

I live about 6 miles from the venue and it's been storming all day. Spoke with a buddy who lives an hour and a half away in DE and it's been sunny and 70 there all day.

I know it was not an easy decision for RHPC. No matter what they decided somebody would've been upset.

I think someone needs to put on her big girl pants and try volunteering at some of these events. You'll gain a whole new perspective.

polarbear
Apr. 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
polarbear - I wasn't complaining that they cancelled - more just whining about the circumstances (and the weather).

I understand:) I know it's tough to lose an entry fee, just wanted to try to explain why Redland really can't reschedule...

justhanginon
Apr. 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
polarbear - Just the nature of the sport. No one can control the weather. I figure if we can't afford to have an entry fee lost, then we should find a new sport. Eliminations/cancellations/scratches are all part of the package.

flyingchange
Apr. 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
Having gotten up at 4:30 this morning to make it there I was incredibly unimpressed with the hasty decision-making process. I got there and rode my dressage as one of the first in training to go. There was about a rumble of thunder twice as well as a couple lightning flashes which is when the hold went into effect. ... for 20 minutes. Having been to another event a month or so ago where sheets upon sheets of rain came down with dark clouds overhead; there was at least an hour long hold, if not slightly longer. It continued to rain even after the hold, so apparently horses can run and jump in the rain. The hour long drive back home, fuming over wasted time and wasted money all I could think about (lightening and thunder free) is how ridiculous this was. I can understand them wanting to announce a cancellation early enough so others wouldn't make the same mistake I did if the weather continued,but um....it didn't. If more time had been given on the hold and the weather continued I could certainly understand also. But 20 minutes- give me a break. Excuse the rant. But other events as well have even made an attempt at rescheduling sometimes- when we asked about that we got "yeah, next year". Yeah...well I think not. A shame, the course was nice and inviting and stadium looked great. It's really disappointing sometimes in the vast differences in the way that events are run.

Laughing out loud... really, you can't make this shit up.

BarbB
Apr. 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
So the pony now thinks she gets braided to go on really long trailer rides.

I'm sorry, I know it is frustrating and I certainly don't want to feel like I would have had more fun lighting $200 on fire, but I laughed out loud at this.
At least you tried to keep a sense of humor. ;)

ZEBE
Apr. 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah.. well we lost two entries... but c'est la vie.... first time in 18 years we've every been shut out... I can only commend the organizers... it poured all day off and on about 50 minutes west in Frederick, with thunderstorms off and on every few hours or so. (Really nasty one at 1:00 and 3:00) and its pouring down right now with no end in site... We'll have to hope for better luck at next event.

Thanks you RHPC for all your hard work- and thanks to all the volunteers who were ready and willing!

topaz731
Apr. 20, 2008, 08:54 PM
flyingchange- Glad I could offer you a chuckle.
justhanginon- I'm beyond aware; I've lost waaay more over time then this entry fee because of those reasons- esp when it involved long drives, stabling, etc.-some of those really ouched!
The point was not that the the event was cancelled or money lost, as obviously it's to keep everyone involved safe, it was the way. Rescheduling seems rare, but when I ask a simple, shot in the dark/stupid or not, question from someone there I really don't expect attitude just because you're packing up your stuff. I guess it was just the (few) specific people I encountered is what really left me irritated.
I definitely have to give major thanks to those directing the trailers- those poor guys, running up and down that hill!- and for the fact that there was the initial effort to go ahead and try the day despite the forecast.

justhanginon
Apr. 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah.. well we lost two entries... but c'est la vie.... first time in 18 years we've every been shut out... I can only commend the organizers... it poured all day off and on about 50 minutes west in Frederick, with thunderstorms off and on every few hours or so. (Really nasty one at 1:00 and 3:00) and its pouring down right now with no end in site... We'll have to hope for better luck at next event.

Thanks you RHPC for all your hard work- and thanks to all the volunteers who were ready and willing!

Ouch - two entries ! See Barb she could have lit $400 on fire and then maybe even danced around it for a minute or two. :) And as someone mentioned earlier, thanks to all the trailer directors(and all the volunteers), that parking area looked rather sloppy, I'm sure that job was probably way less fun than my nice dry ride in the truck. I just hope that pony isn't looking to be braided everytime we go somewhere now.;)

SaddleFitterVA
Apr. 20, 2008, 10:30 PM
There is some weather that you should probably PAY to NOT ride in!

A friend and I used to sometimes skip things we had entered....due to foul weather and we both agreed that sometimes, it is worth the amount of $$ to not ride.

I, OTOH, rode in a dressage show, and that was a mess. The only reason we were able to do any warmup was that there were scratches and we were allowed to warmup in the main ring. All other places were not safe.

I'd like to think I'd have been smart enough to not go to a show/event that involved jumping in the weather today, but you know, as I might not be that smart, I'd hope the organizers would cancel for me!:winkgrin:

drjuliea
Apr. 21, 2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks, bambam and polarbear for the clarification. As a small part of the decision making team for RHPC for Sunday (I was the vet on Sunday and there were about 10 people weighing in during the discussion), the decision making process started with the first rumble of thunder and definitely not knee-jerk. Rain is one thing, thunder and lightning quite another, and everyone's saftey was the number one priority.

I am so thankful that we had good weather on Sat when I rode:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0N0K0044080001&po=1

Invested1
Apr. 21, 2008, 08:46 AM
This is the way I think about it:

If I scratch (or the competition is canceled), it's $200 in the toilet.
If I ride in really crap weather and get hurt, pony deductible on insurance is $250.
So, I actually save $50 (and a broken horse). :D

Catalina
Apr. 21, 2008, 09:14 AM
Well, I am disappointed that it rained, but I am happy that they canceled and took the decision away from me ;). I was all set to go there and tough it out in the rain (yuck :p) and just do dressage if the footing was too bad, but I am just as glad that I got to watch Horton Hears A Who instead with my family instead.

curlykarot
Apr. 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ha! Catalina and I had the same idea - I went home & curled up on the couch for the rest of the day. The weather here in Frederick teased me for the whole day... the rain would let up and then just when I thought - man could've showed! - then came another round of lightning and thunder. Ya, I was bummed I couldn't go, but there will always be another show.

Not that I like having paid for the show but couldn't go - but they state it before hand that if the event is cancelled - no refund given.

inquisitive
Apr. 21, 2008, 11:00 AM
I just wanted to give a big congrats to everyone who rode Saturday (Novice). Almost every ride I saw was very controlled and everyone looked like they were having a great time! The weather was nice and everything seemed to run pretty smoothly.

There was one horse that got loose after a rider fall. I believe the vet was needed so I hope everything turned out ok...

There were a couple stops at 3 (the first part of the rollercoaster, downhill). There were several stops and E's at 11 (a log on a downhill approach towards the water). LOTS of people missed fence 8. Novice 8 was Training 8B. One person did 8A instead but many just totally went by and missed it. A couple of people took the option on 6 (up the bank instead of down) but I'm not sure how it affected their time. One person accidentally did the Training bank down and got E'd as well :-(

All-in-all I saw a lot of solid rides and hope everyone had fun :-)

IllusionOfYou
Apr. 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
I rode in the Novice C division on Saturday and had a really good time - I had never been to this event before and thought it was well run and organized and things seemed to flow very smoothly. I have never done the stadium/straight to XC format before and I thought it was very nice and time efficient! The XC was challenging but not overwhelming, I loved having the option at the bank (I looped around and went up the bank and still had plenty of time, even with trotting before and after fence 11). My horse and I really enjoyed it. My barn-mates all were scheduled on Sunday and unfortunately had to miss out but it was obviously unavoidable... :( But Kudos to the organizers and big thanks to all the volunteers! Everyone seemed very friendly and on top of things. :)

bosox
Apr. 22, 2008, 07:48 AM
Ok---I am looking though the pix from the HT and the heights in S/J look so low to me.

My kids PC instructor has done 3 HTS since Red Hills. 1 Prelim (warm up for the year) and then 2 I's. (She did I last year--all year after a Prelim warm up but she would still be newer to that level)

She said since RH and the annoucnements from KB...the 2 I's she did this year were easier than what she did last year. She did Fair Hill this weekend and I think it was Plantation last weekend. Morven was the Prelim opener.

Are you guys finding this as well?

I don't know this rider/horse but if you look at the pix or all of the Novice pix...the heights seems SO low. (you'll have to click to the thrid pix--as it defaults to the first pix in the grouping. Red Oxer)

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0N0K0044080001&po=1

I will remove the pix if it is wrong to post---but I don't have comments about the rider---just the fence height.

Moody Mare
Apr. 22, 2008, 10:12 AM
<She said since RH and the annoucnements from KB...the 2 I's she did this year were easier than what she did last year. She did Fair Hill this weekend and I think it was Plantation last weekend. Morven was the Prelim opener.

Are you guys finding this as well?>

I'm not sure Redland is an appropriate comparison, but I understand what you're getting at. RHPC's courses are known to be good early season courses, and I'm not sure the difficulty, or ease, has changed in the past 5-10 years.

To find a comfortable medium, appropriately challenging but still safe, the pendulum very well may swing back in the other direction a bit too far for some. That's true of most all change brought on by tragedies.

The eventing community is a unique one, and are generally more unified on issues as important as safety. I think we'll get there. We have to! What's the alternative?!? KB is a great choice to lead the way too. I like his style.

bosox
Apr. 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
MM---thanks for reading what I meant :D

I have never been to RHPC but it just seems as if stadium would be a little closer to the 2'11" height then 2'3" to 2'6".

Granted I can only see a few fences but it seems VERY low. I think if we swing back too far--we could actually get ourselves into a world of hurt--later on.

Invested1
Apr. 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
RHPC's courses are known to be good early season courses.

I actually thought one of their combos (on the Training course) looked relatively tough--especially for a horse with no turn radius. :lol:

Moody Mare
Apr. 22, 2008, 02:46 PM
MM---thanks for reading what I meant :D

I have never been to RHPC but it just seems as if stadium would be a little closer to the 2'11" height then 2'3" to 2'6".

Granted I can only see a few fences but it seems VERY low. I think if we swing back too far--we could actually get ourselves into a world of hurt--later on.

Fences tend to look smaller in pictures sometimes too, I think.

justhanginon
Apr. 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
From what I observed and what I heard from some of the competitors, the stadium was right on the money. The xc was definitely not maxed out. (I can only speak for Novice - that is the only level I was really paying attention to)