PDA

View Full Version : Dasvidanya? Nyet! Part два

Glimmerglass
Feb. 19, 2008, 03:48 PM
Who knew the 'President' of Chechnya was a racing fan? Me thinks you won't want to beat him too badly in the races ... or else comrade your horse won't do too well next time ;)

South Africa's The Times 2008 Feb 14 (http://blogs.thetimes.co.za/britten/2008/02/14/the-president-of-chechnya-and-the-green-monkey/)

The president of Chechnya is buying South African racehorses?

SAHorseracing.com reports that promising three year old colt Warrior Man has been sold to 31 year old Ramzan Kadyrov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramzan_Kadyrov), President of that benighted part of the globe. Kadyov is a former warlord, has his own private army and appears to be starting his own personality cult (perhaps the horse’s name appealed to him). Presumably the money for investing in the geegees comes from the huge fortune Kadyov is said to have amassed from kickbacks from the illegal sale of Chechen oil.

It sounds like Frederick Forsythe and Dick Francis got together to hatch a plot for a new airport bestseller.

Warrior Man Joins Brown (Feb 11, 2008) (http://www.sahorseracing.com/view.asp?id=498&col=9)

The classy and talented young horse, Warrior Man has been sold. The former Tyrone Zackey inmate was purchased by the Herman Brown yard for an undisclosed amount.

The son of Grade 1 winner Model Man won his last two efforts in convincing style and will be aimed at an international campaign in the near future.

Brown was excited at having the prospect of racing a horse of this nature when interviewed by SAHorseracing.com recently. The parties closed the deal last week after Brown flew in from Dubai to complete the transaction and visit his Summerveld stables.

The 3 year old has only had 3 starts for 2 wins and 1 placing. He was purchased by Mr. Ramzan Kadryov, who is the Prime Minister of Chechnya.

JER
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
This would be the same Ramzan Kadyrov who banned gambling in Chechnya when he assumed office (assumed is very much the operative word here). He also banned alcohol and forced women to wear head scarves. Tried to promote polygamy. Looks like he took a few cues from the Saudis and now he wants the racehorses too.

'Former warlord' my a$$. This guy's a thug and among the worst of the Putin puppets.

I feel sorry for the poor horse.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:17 PM
Looks like he took a few cues from the Saudis and now he wants the racehorses too.

Well maybe he'll inspire the now-retired leader, Fidel, to buy some horses in Florida to run at Gulfstream Park. Wait scratch that - too many folks from the old country who'd run him out of town - instead he'll buy some horses and run them in Venezuela! Hugo Chavez has been just itching to get another Canonero II up to the Derby.

Just think there could be quite the racing league with Ramzan Kadyrov, Fidel Castro, Jean Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier, Hugo Chavez ...

JER
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
Well maybe he'll inspire the now-retired leader, Fidel, to buy some horses in Florida to run at Gulfstream Park. Wait scratch that - too many folks from the old country who'd run him out of town

Fidel's nickname was 'el Caballo'.

(The folks from the old country need to close up their terrorist organizations-- which even have websites today -- and just it go.)

Back in the good old days when Batista and his ilk were cozying up to all kinds of criminals, Cuba had horse racing at Oriental Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Park_Racetrack). Anyone know what became of it?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
A cool poster promoting Oriental Park from 1939 (http://www.respree.com/scstore/graphics/ltel2827.jpg)

One would think that Sam Giancana, at the very least, wager on a few horses there while on business from Chicago ;)

I can't turn up a thing on what's become of Oriental Park. I don't want to try google maps for fear I'll get a call from my brother in law at the State Department. Although I have this image of it being frozen in time but falling down like Hialeah Park ....

JER
Feb. 20, 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm sure J. Edgar Hoover placed some bets as well, given his affinity for horse racing and Meyer Lansky.

Another odd legacy of horse racing in Cuba: blackmarketeers in Castro's Cuba, especially those of the flesh-peddling variety, are called 'jineteras' or 'jineteros' which means 'jockey.' Jineteros are pimps or street hustlers; male prostitutes are called 'pingueros' which translates to something you can look up if you're interested.

So there are plenty of jockeys in post-revolution Cuba but they probably won't be of much help if horse racing starts again.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
Now another Soviet leader looks to possibly be buying a US race horse that I recall from this spring!

Cincinnati Enquirer Aug 12, 2008 "To Russia with love" (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080812/SPT/808120374)

Excerpt

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin may be in the midst of leading his country into war with Georgia, but he's also apparently and allegedly in the midst of purchasing a horse that had recently been owned by Kentucky Speedway owner Jerry Carroll.

It was reported by various outlets last week that Carroll had sold his promising 3-year-old thoroughbred Racecar Rhapsody, which finished fourth in the Preakness Stakes, to an unknown international group. Carroll said on Monday that there are some rumblings that Putin is heading a group that bought the horse and that his next start will likely be in the Russian Derby on Saturday at the Moscow Hippodrome.

Carroll, who headed an investment group of four friends who owned Racecar Rhapsody, said the group was contacted a couple of months ago by a bloodstock agent from South Africa who was interested in purchasing the horse.

The purchase basically went though back in mid-June, and Racecar Rhapsody's trainer Ken McPeek told Thoroughbred Times then that the horse "looks to be going to Dubai."

Putin's "things to do" list

1 - Work on my judo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXwu2MXR_s)
2 - Go to Olympics
3 - Go fishing again without my shirt on (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-503465/Time-magazine-Russian-President-Vladimir-Putin-Person-Year-2007.html)
4 - Buy a G1 level race horse and kick the butts out of locally owned stock in Moscow
5 - Give kickbacks to old friends
6 - Order death of rogue newspaper in Moscow
7 - Crush Georgian troops
8 - DVR Two and a Half Men - oh that Charlie Sheen, you crack me up!

Calico
Aug. 12, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm sure Carroll is just happy to find a buyer for RR.

More on the All-Russian Derby, which is part of their Breeders' Cup series:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/600/42/369574.htm

Equus_girl
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
I only wish my country stopped following whats cool and in the spotlight of the day, and started taking care of horses it already has. Most of the barns are in horrendous conditions.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Calico for the link.

While the prize purse might seem trifling to Western trophy hunters -- 1 million rubles ($42,650) will be offered in prize money, compared with $2.52 million for Britain's Epsom Derby -- the amount has been growing each year.

The sale of "Racecar" actually transpired some time ago .... TB Times Jun 19, 2008 "Racecar Rhapsody sold; may be headed to Dubai" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/June/19/Racecar-Rhapsody-sold-may-be-headed-to-Dubai.aspx)

Youtube.com 2007 Russian President's Cup note video only, no audio (8 min long) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iubDiOJbC_g)

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
The Russians actually had some mildly competitive horses back in the 50's and 60's. There was one horse in particular that won the Grosser Preis von Baden and placed in the Prix de l'Arc, he also ran in the Washington Intl at Laurel and finished 2nd or 3rd I think. God, his name escapes me. The horse was trained and ridden by a fella called Nikolai Nasibov, who is considered Russia's greatest ever trainers and jockeys (at the same time!).
Can't remember the horse's name.

The Soviet government also sent three horses to run in the Grand National in the early 60's. Because they had no form to go on they were all high-weighted to the top of the handicap and had to carry 12-7 (175lbs). I don't think any of them made it around.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
Perhaps Putin was watching TVG today when a 2-yr old filly won gate to wire by at least 6-lengths in a maiden - her name Mother Russia :D

Glimmerglass
Aug. 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
Just following up on this one ... the brilliant plan of buying an American Grade 1 runner and crushing the locals in Russia didn't work to well. Then again the way the system works you might want to check his water ;)

Also it would appear that the news is such that it wasn't Russian leader Putin as the buyer but rather Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov - a previously noted TB buyers - who acquired him.

Thoroughbred Times Aug 19, 2008 "Racecar Rhapsody finishes fourth in Russian Derby" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/international-news/2008/August/19/Racecar-Rhapsody-finishes-fourth-in-Russian-Derby.aspx)

Racecar Rhapsody apparently maintained his American form in the Russian Derby on August 16 at the Moscow Hippodrome, finishing fourth in his first start since a fourth-place finish in the Preakness Stakes (G1).

Racecar Rhapsody also finished fourth in the Delta Jackpot Stakes (G3), Lane’s End Stakes (G2), and Coolmore Lexington Stakes (G2) for trainer Ken McPeek and owners Jerry Carroll and partners.

The Tale of the Cat colt was sold privately last month, and Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov was the buyer, according to the South African Web site Gold Circle Pty. The 2,400-meter (11.93-furlong) Russian Derby was worth $42,650, according to the Moscow Times.

McPeek and Carroll had said they were not certain who purchased Racecar Rhapsody, and the bloodstock agent who brokered the deal declined to comment.

South African-based trainer Herman Brown told Gold Circle that Racecar Rhapsody would join his barn in Dubai. Brown’s assistant, Terry Fripp, oversaw the colt in Russia, and top South African jockey Andrew Fortune had the mount.

“The dirt track there is apparently quite heavy and Andrew felt that the horse would also be better over nine or ten furlongs,” Brown said.

Calico
Sep. 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
Interest in horseracing is soaring in Russia. Here's an interesting article from last week's Thoroughbred Times about Keeneland purchases by Russian buyers:

Russian buyers step up at Keeneland

Improved racing in Russia has helped increase interest from buyers from that country at this year's Keeneland September yearling sale.

Sergey Efros, president of the Jockey Club of Russia, expects Russian buyers to purchase about 100 Thoroughbreds at this year's sale at prices ranging from $30,000 to $100,000. Last year, Russian buyers purchased about 40 horses at Keeneland September.

"This will be a record number of horses for Russian buyers," Efros said.

Efros said interest in racing has increased in Russia since the department of agriculture approved the country's Jockey Club to oversee all races. Previously, regional groups and racing clubs would conduct their own meetings.

This year, Russia conducted about 100 races worth a total of about $1.5-million in purses. All races are conducted at the Moscow Hippodrome.

Russia even conducted a day like the Breeders' Cup World Championships, offering races for the country's top horses in each division.

"We're moving up," Efros said.

Efros said in partnership he has purchased 12 horses and plans to buy ten more before sale's end. Besides buying horses, Efros is working with other Russian buyers to coordinate transportation plans.

ArtilleryHill
Sep. 15, 2008, 12:02 PM
the Russian government is banning bookmares in favor of a national tote system as of 2009, a move that should bump purses up, so the Russians could be even more active buying here in the next few years. From Daily Racing Form's sale coverage:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/98188.html

Excerpt:

"Four years ago, I went with a couple of other people to inspect the existing facilities - the racetracks, training centers, and breeding farms - and to find out who was in charge of what," Deroubaix said Thursday at the Keeneland auction, where he was helping Russian buyers. "What I found was that there was absolutely no organization. Some of the racetracks from the former Soviet Union were private, and some of them were the property of municipalities. So I told the Ministry of Agriculture that they have to organize themselves if they want to improve the racing. They had to coordinate racing."

That task is complex, Deroubaix said, partly because there are some 400,000 horses in Russia and the former Soviet republics that race or breed for racing. Several breeds race, including Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses, Arabians, and Akhal-Tekes, the light-framed native breed of the former Soviet republic of Turkmenistan in central Asia.

Deroubaix said that the stud books are still in relative disarray, making it difficult to determine exactly how many Thoroughbreds are in the region. But the Thoroughbred sector undoubtedly is growing. At least six Russian or former Soviet buying groups were on hand at Keeneland on Wednesday and Thursday.

Two factors in particular are encouraging Russians to import American Thoroughbreds now.

First, racing opportunities are likely to improve as the region's racetracks develop circuits. Deroubaix said Russia's racetracks will soon be classified according to the quality of their operations.

"Class 1 will be the best ones, with good security, proper quality tracks, rails, photo-finish cameras, and so on," he said. A German racing official is helping the Ministry of Agriculture with this organization, which currently involves seven Russian racetracks in good operating condition.

Second, a Russian law banning bookmakers in favor of a national tote system is set to take effect in 2009. That, horsemen believe, will provide a larger, more consistent source of funding for Russian purses.

"I tried to convince them that this is the only way to increase prize money and to clean the place, to make sure there is no 'black' betting, so that the government can control the whole operation," Deroubaix said.

vineyridge
Sep. 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
the Russian government is banning bookmares in favor of a national tote system as of 2009, a move that should bump purses up, so the Russians could be even more active buying here in the next few years. From Daily Racing Form's sale coverage:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/98188.html

Excerpt:

Gotta have government control over everything in today's Russia. :cool:

Glimmerglass
Nov. 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
Mother Russia finished a disappointing 2nd today at the Big A with the $100,000 Fifth Avenue Stakes for 2-year-old fillies; she was coming off a 3rd place against the boys (in a field of 11) at Finger Lakes in the New York Breeders' Futurity. A very nice horse regardless.

So retaining the theme of the assorted Axis of Evil states, equidail.com found this series of racing pictures ...

Photos: Horse Racing in Gonbad-e Qabus, Iran Nov 8, 2008 (http://www.payvand.com/news/08/nov/1073.html)

I liked the picture of the fans watching the racing behind the razer wire ;) I'm sure one of the local winners is Die Uncle Sam ....

ArtilleryHill
Nov. 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
Gotta have government control over everything in today's Russia.

True enough, but then again bookmakers are almost entirely outlawed in horse racing in the US, too. :cool:

Bookmares, on the other hand--what sort of subliminal typo was THAT?

Glimmerglass
Mar. 5, 2009, 12:23 PM
Reappearing at the Nad al Sheba racecourse in Dubai: Racecar Rhapsody still owned by Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov. He raced today in the $200,000 Burj Nahaar (UAE-G3). He last raced in August taking fourth-place finish in the 2,400-meter Russian Derby.

Alas Racecar finished somewhere way back in the dolldrums far off the board in Dubai.

As an aside, 2008 Arkansas Derby (G2) winner Gayego won the $200,000 Mahab al Shimaal (UAE-G3) today. Up next would be the Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-G1) for Gayego.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2009, 05:52 PM
Mother Russia - cited a few times on this thread - put it together under Ramon Dominguez (although was tired in the end) and won today's (Aug 13, 2009) New York Stallion Statue of Liberty Stakes at Saratoga for fillies.

The distance of 1 1/16 on the turf was expected to be taxing on her plus she was the high weight in the race (122 lbs vs most at 114 lbs) but she got it done.

Mother Russia is the second New York-bred offspring and second winner that Philip Birsh of “Birsh Family Farm” in Manhattan has bred from winner Still Secret, whom Birsh had purchased for $17,000 at Keeneland’s 2005 January sale when that mare was carrying Iron Curtain.

Mother Russia's sire, Mayakovsky, stands at Anne Morgan’s and Tim Little’s Mill Creek Farm in Saratoga Springs, where Mother Russia also was foaled, and embodies “miler speed”.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
Some down in Oz want no part of Chechnyan President Ramzan Kadyrov for the Cup:

Sep 20, 2009 "Ban 'dictator' From Cup: Greens" (http://www.virtualformguide.com/cgi-bin/tvf/displaynewsitem.pl?20090920bandictator.txt)

A "blood-soaked" dictator must be stopped from running a horse in the Melbourne Cup, the Greens say.

Chechnyan President Ramzan Kadyrov is preparing his gelding Mourilyan for the Melbourne Cup, outraging activists who object to his human rights record.

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown called on prime minister Kevin Rudd to ban Mr Kadyrov - and his horses - from the country.

Mr Kadyrov was a brutal dictator who had overseen the torture and suppression of his opponents, Senator Brown said.

"Can you imagine the appalling prospect of Governor-General Quentin Bryce being asked to hand a Melbourne Cup to the blood-soaked hands of Mr Kadyrov?" Senator Brown asked reporters in Canberra.

"The very thought of him coming to the Melbourne Cup runs a shiver up my spine."

Senator Brown said Australia's leaders should stand up now and declare that neither Kadyrov nor his horses would be allowed into the country.

Mourilyan is trained by England's Gary Moore. Mr Kadyrov has another horse in preparation for the spring carnival, the stallion Bankable listed for the Mackinnon Stakes.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:38 PM
More on the question of Australia potentially restricting the Chechen President .....

Time Magazine 9-29-09 "Will Australia Let Chechnya's President Race His Horses?" (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1926636,00.html)

His stallion Bankable is set to start in the $655,000 LKS Mackinnon Stakes race on Oct. 31, and his gelding Mourilyan will race in the Melbourne Cup itself. Both horses are about to be quarantined in England before flying to to Australia. If Australian authorities don't intervene — which some politicians here are saying they should — they are due to arrive in Australia on Oct. 10.

[British trainer Gary] Moore says that Mourilyan has a "decent chance" of winning if the ground is soft, but "if it's hard ground, he will struggle." As for his controversial owner, Moore says that he's has only communicated with Kadyrov via a translator a few times in the past year. "I don't know much about him," said Moore. "Honestly, I wouldn't recognize him [Kadyrov] from a bar of soap."

Glimmerglass
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:00 PM
Fast forward to 2011 and that always fun loving leader of the Chechen Republic - Ramzan Kadyrov - is still buying horses for select big races. In particular he seems to be focused on the $10M Dubai World Cup. BloodHorse is reporting the following (3/21/11) (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62025/sale-of-gitano-hernando-pending):

Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov, who recently scooped up American 3-year-old Sweet Ducky to race in the UAE Derby (UAE-II), is working to complete a deal to buy Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) contender Gitano Hernando from Team Valor and Gary Barber.

Kadyrov, who also owns Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) entrant Bankable, reportedly had been trying to secure an American-based horse recently to carry his red and white colors in the Dubai World Cup. However, that prospective deal became problematic when the horse in question was not invited to compete in the $10-million race.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Done deal - Gitano Hernando sold to Chechen president (http://www.drf.com/news/dubai-gitano-hernando-sold-chechen-president) with a reported $4M USD price tag. So President Ramzan Kadyrov will have a starter in Saturday's $10M Dubai World Cup.

Glimmerglass
May. 16, 2011, 05:45 PM
Nothing new as per say but just another article on AP 5-13-11 "Chechen leader making his name in horse racing" (http://www.necn.com/05/13/11/Chechen-leader-making-his-name-in-horse-/landing_nation.html?&blockID=3&apID=429cf78fe04444d5ae3dcf0f65230a22)

excerpt

He also had a horse in the $1.8 million Audemars Piguet QE II Cup in Hong Kong earlier this month and will have one in next weekend's $3 million International Cup in Singapore.

"You have a guy who is very passionate about horses and cares about horses," said Robert Harrison, Kadyrov's racing manager. "When his horses are injured, he takes them to Chechnya where they have a great life. There are not very many owners who will do those kind of things. He has a very compassionate side to him."

"I wouldn't know him from Adam. I've never met him. I've never spoken to him," said Gary Moore, a former jockey who trains at least three of Kadyrov's horses for races in Europe from his stables in Britain. "I wouldn't have a clue what he looks like or anything."

Harrison said Kadyrov has 10 international horses, seven of whom race at the Group I level. He keeps his horses in the United Kingdom, Dubai and the United States, and has scores more at home in Russia.

Trainers said most communications are made through Harrison and a Russian middleman since Kadyrov doesn't speak English and they don't speak Russian.

Kadyrov doesn't often attend races, though in March he was among Dubai's expatriate elite roaming the grounds at the World Cup, a showcase event for the emirate's ruler, Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

One of Kadyrov's recent purchases, Sweet Ducky, has returned to the United States after running in the UAE Derby in March.

Harrison went further, saying it was unfair to single out Kadyrov for criticism when there are plenty of bad apples in the world of horse racing.

"You look at lot of other owners on the international circuit some of them have worse reputations," he said. "There are a lot of characters in England that you raise your eyebrows at and a lot of characters in America that you go 'Wow!' That is the sport all over the world unfortunately."

Glimmerglass
Nov. 29, 2011, 10:32 AM
And now it appears both the racing jurisdictions of Kentucky and New York have said - Nyet! - and will not license his stable to race in either State.

New York Times 11/29/11 "Horse Racing Draws a Line at Licensing Chechen Leader" (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/sports/horse-racing-draws-line-at-licensing-chechen-leader.html?_r=1)

Alvi A. Karimov, a spokesman for Kadyrov, said he believed the licensing issue was a flimsy pretext for scratching a horse who was simply too good.

“I have no doubt that all this fuss was raised exclusively with one aim — to kick the horse out of the race,” Karimov said in a telephone interview. “The horse had all the qualities necessary to win the race. I am deeply convinced that there was no other reason than that.”

Karimov added that he regarded the decision as “ideological sabotage against the Chechen authorities,” adding, “Targeted work is being conducted by certain organizations in the United States.”

An oddity is the approach of the Canadian officials who have not objected to his horses and allowed them to run there:

“We have no reason to deny the man a license,” Gunnar Lindberg, an Ontario Racing Commission steward, said before Sweet Ducky’s race at Woodbine. “All there are at this point are allegations. I have Googled him, and at this point in time, there are no charges against him or any charges pending in North America. He is also licensed in the United Kingdom and is spending a lot of money there on horses.”

CVPeg
Nov. 29, 2011, 01:16 PM
Guess the Canadian spies, er Googlers don't have the stuff on him that the Americans do...? :rolleyes:

But then again, considering the human rights violations from other participating countries, er ah, kingdoms, it's interesting where they draw the line.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Once again the Canadian-Chechen connection arises and this will be a problem as the original owners of the horse talked about a Kentucky Derby (2012) aim.

That isn't going to work with the US State Department. Courier-Journal 1-23-12 "Kentucky Derby hopeful from Canada sold to controversial Chechen president Ramzan Kadyro" (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120123/SPORTS08/301230044/Kentucky-Derby-hopeful-from-Canada-sold-controversial-Chechen-president-Ramzan-Kadyrov?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

Maritimer, expected to be crowned Canada's 2011 2-year-old champion, has been sold to controversial Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov for what is believed to be in the range of $1.7 million, the Toronto Star reports.

"I have mixed emotions about selling him," the Star quotes owner-breeder Howie Walton as saying. "But sometimes these offers are simply too big to turn down."

Louisville attorney Joel Turner, who represented Walton in the sale, said he could only confirm that the deal closed Friday.

The Star says Maritimer apparently is headed to Dubai for the $2 million UAE Derby and that Kadyrov may try to run him in the Kentucky Derby.

But if Kadyrov has Kentucky Derby fever, he might be up against it.

He attempted to race Sweet Ducky at Keeneland last year, but the horse was scratched over licensing issues after the U.S. State Department made the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission aware of allegations of human rights' violations against the president of Chechnya.

The KHRC required that Kadyrov appear before its license review panel, which makes recommendations to the commission when there is a question about the appropriateness of an applicant to participate in racing in the commonwealth. According to the KHRC, Kadyrov sent attorney Drew Mollica to appear before the panel but wound up withdrawing the application.

The KHRC said, in response to an inquiry, that Kadyrov will have to appear before the license review panel before he can be considered for a license in Kentucky.

If Maritimer can't make the Kentucky Derby because his owner can’t get a license, he's still the favorite for Woodbine's Queen's Plate, which is restricted to horses foaled in Canada.

Real Rush
Jan. 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
Let's just hope the KHRC doesn't decide to say "Zdrastvoui" to Mr. Kadyrov and allow him to race there. I can't even believe the Canadians let him race up there. Just because he has no current charges against him, etc.-- what about his past? Do they not have principles, or does money trump all?