PDA

View Full Version : The Prodigious Fund to help retiring racehorses

monicabee
Feb. 18, 2008, 04:46 PM
A big step for a smaller track - Emerald Downs!

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/horsebytes/archives/132169.asp

sm
Feb. 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
great news! Congrats to all involved :)

jennywho
Feb. 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
I was thrilled to see this. I really hope the trainers and owners at EMD embrace this program.

I am wondering though. I was pretty sure that Prodigious was euthanized after breaking down in his final race. There is no death report with the JC and this article makes it sound like he made it. Can anyone confirm?

johnnysauntie
Feb. 18, 2008, 06:23 PM
Looks like that may be the case, Jennywho.

http://inmemoriam2007.blogspot.com/2007/07/prodigious.html

monicabee
Feb. 19, 2008, 04:33 PM
Ouch! I emailed Emerald Downs earlier to see if they had pictures of Prodigious "in retirement." I guess naming the fund after him was intended as a memorial gesture - likely to be understood within the racing community but not outside it.

Perhaps not the choice I would have made, but I still support the fund.

jennywho
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for checking with EMD. Honestly, I had gotten my hopes up that the gallant guy had made it and I was misinformed. I can think of dozens of retired "famous" EMD horses it could have been named after that ARE living the good life.

Kind of like the year EMD put Enduring Knight's picture on their opening night giveaway promotional calenders. It was a great pic, but kind of tacky considering she had died in a race on opening night the year before. :confused: Management, I tell ya.

Nevertheless I am really glad to see this fund up and running. I know it had been talked about for years. If my filly makes it to the races this year, I'll be sure she's running for more than just us.

monicabee
Feb. 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
...and in retirement at Jack Hodges farm. He retired after his last race at Emerald Downs with a suspensory injury.

He did pull up in his last race and was vanned off. Perhaps someone jumped to conclusions.

I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet!

Louise
Feb. 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
Great news that he is alive and living a life of leisure. The Prodigious Fund is a great idea and I hope that it and others like it are embraced by more and more tracks. Congratulations to all who helped make this possible.

Granada
Feb. 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ooo... Thanks for posting! Yes, funny choice, but maybe along the lines of the Exceller Fund?

My OTTB raced in the Longacre and Mt Rainier BCH at Emerald Downs:D he's the chestnut in my profile pic... They could have named it after him. The Bold Words fund... JK

It's a great gesture and hopefully owners and trainers will embrace it.

Granada
Feb. 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
Woops, I had that written out, got distracted, hit submit... I'm glad to hear Prodigious is in retirement! much happier now :)

johnnysauntie
Feb. 20, 2008, 11:52 PM
brilliant news! thanks for the update, monica! :D

Equus34
Feb. 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
Moica,
Thanks for the new's that's awesome to hear that Emerald Downs is stepping forward to help retired race horses. I wish every track in the country, no the world would have something similar.:yes:

Barn Brats Horse Themed Glassware
www.cmmbarnbrats.com

monicabee
Mar. 1, 2008, 07:42 PM
Here are pictures of Prodigious on the job and in a recent picture retirement (taken in response to inquiries - you see, some good comes out of circulating rumors that he's dead!):

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/horsebytes/archives/133167.asp