PDA

View Full Version : My Eventing Movie!

chukkerchild
Feb. 17, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at one of the scenes from my eventing movie... I'm working on making a short flick centred on an eventing pair. It's got a typical plot I wont bore you with... this is the scene I've completely finished. It's a dream sequence with a crash at the end.

Please please comment! Tell me anything you think needs work and anything off-kilter you notice. I know the fall is grotesquely fake, but I couldn't convince my actor to throw herself off the horse... people these days, seriously. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2ImM3yU4k

Auburn
Feb. 17, 2008, 08:31 AM
In the dream sequence, is your rider supposed to be just schooling or in an actual event? If in an event, then you need to have her wear a penny and put up some numbers, have a couple of people to sit in chairs (jump judges) and flag your jumps. If just schooling, then I thought that the fake fall was cleverly done. I liked the music, too. Auburn

Eventaholic
Feb. 17, 2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with Auburn, I couldn't quite buy it as an actual competition, even from a non-horse pov, simply because of the lact of spectators. Flags and a pinny wouldn't hurt either. Otherwise I really enjoyed it!

Hony
Feb. 17, 2008, 10:09 AM
Some of your shots are really good. As others have said, some details will need to be sorted out but as far as the photography goes it looks good. It would be cool if you could add in some unique shots, something that gives it a bit of your signature. Are you taking film in school?

HiJumpGrrl
Feb. 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
A picky little thing--is the horse wearing a standing martingale? I couldn't tell for sure, but if so, they're illegal in all phases of eventing.

And if you want me to be reeeeeeally picky, I'd shorten the actress's stirrups about 2 holes.

It looks great!

missamandarose
Feb. 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
Cool! Aside from some eventing-related technical things like jump judges and the like, I noticed that in a couple of shots the rider was wearing a white shirt under her safety vest, and in most other shots, she was wearing a dark wind-breaker over her attire. I think in the film industry, thats called "continuity of scene" or something like that...and Im sure any movie buff present could give you real-movie examples of bad continuity. Good luck with the rest of the film!

Platinum Equestrian
Feb. 17, 2008, 07:15 PM
In some of the close-ups in the galloping sequences, the horse is actually trotting...

Like others said, if she's suppose to be competing, she should have a penny and an arm band on. Fences flagged red on right and white on left. Jump judges sitting near fences.

What is this movie for?

stellabella
Feb. 17, 2008, 07:24 PM
Great effort! Your cut off the head quite a bit in the beginning. It might be usefull occassionally for a creative look, but too much makes it look too amateurish.
All the best with your project, let us know when we can buy the finished product!

chukkerchild
Feb. 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
You guys are good! :D Yeah, I have some "discontinuity" in there-- actually, the white-shirt day is from a different scene, at the last minute I pasted it in there to lengthen this scene a bit. It will be coming out eventually.

The eventing is totally unrealistic for a real event, but it's supposed to be a dream so I'm hoping I can get away with it-- in the movie she will be a doing a real event at some point and I will try and get a pinny and some flags for that! Thanks for the tips there!

Also, thanks for the standing martingale tip! That was a total brain fart, he WAS wearing a standing martingale! No one else has even noticed that yet thank goodness!

This is the opening sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeNop7a9Qo

I hate it though. I filmed it off horseback, so the shots are shaky, and it's desperately overexposed. Also, the quality was greatly reduced when I uploaded it-- at one point she walks past a note on the table, it says "Gone riding" but you can't even read it.

Oh, one other thiing-- in the crash scene, the horse in between the jumps is a different horse than the one jumping :winkgrin: The between-horse is one of our polo horses, and the jumper is my friend's jumper, being ridden by him, whereas the polo horse is ridden by the main actress. I made him hide his face over all the fences, lol.

chukkerchild
Jun. 10, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have one more scene up if anyone wants to take a look ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veP2UhapeZU

LexInVA
Jun. 10, 2008, 04:47 PM
So, for those of us not involved in the immense movie making love machine that is the Canadian film industry, what exactly is the plot and purpose of this little bit of YouTube fun?

tx3dayeventer
Jun. 10, 2008, 04:47 PM
Is it based on the book Flying Changes where the girl's mom was a "big-time" event rider before getting really hurt and now she dosen't want her daughter to do it for fear of getting hurt the same way she did???

chukkerchild
Jun. 10, 2008, 05:09 PM
tx-- No, it's not, but a lot of people on youtube thought so-- I'd never heard of the book, but read it after they mentioned it! I think I'll have to change the title, so open to suggestions. :)

Filmaria
Dec. 23, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at one of the scenes from my eventing movie... I'm working on making a short flick centred on an eventing pair. It's got a typical plot I wont bore you with... this is the scene I've completely finished. It's a dream sequence with a crash at the end.

Please please comment! Tell me anything you think needs work and anything off-kilter you notice. I know the fall is grotesquely fake, but I couldn't convince my actor to throw herself off the horse... people these days, seriously. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2ImM3yU4k

Are you a student of film school (http://www.filmschool.ph)??? Your movie is nice and neat... I liked the movie... Except for the falling everything else has been done with perfection... The shots from different angles, the editing, the mixing everything is perfect for me...

Mariequi
Dec. 23, 2008, 07:05 AM
I liked the intro.

Bayou Roux
Dec. 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hey!

The thing I notice and like most about your work so far is your sense of pace-- you hold shots long enough, but not too long. This is a truly under-rated art, and you seem to have a sense of finesse with it! Nice work.

Everyone else can comment on the authenticity of the horse work, but I'm impressed with your mature sense of timing. Keep at it!

subk
Dec. 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
Actually I like it--as long as you're not trying to pass the girl off as an upper level rider it's good. I don't even mind that you don't show the fall--it's almost better without it, especially since it's a dream. I have just one suggestion and it's my absolute pet peeve in horse movies: get rid of the horse's whinny in the crash scene. A snort or a grunt or even the sound of him hitting the fence would be fine, but the whinny thing is unrealistic and hokey.

JER
Dec. 23, 2008, 08:19 PM
Film-making is hard. Hats off to anyone dogged enough to attempt it.

Try to have your actors maintain eyeline with each other so they're not looking at the camera. I know, this isn't easy when it's your friends volunteering to help you in your project. But maybe try being a little sneaky, like telling them it's just rehearsal and the camera isn't on.

I'm not crazy about the music with lyrics in the second sequence. There's a lot of stuff in the scene that would provide an interesting soundtrack -- like the sound of the horse galloping and jumping. If you feel you need music, try finding something just instrumental that complements the ambient sound and rhythm of the horse and rider.

It drives me crazy when music steps all over dialog or images in movies. It's not that the music is necessarily bad, it's just interfering with what you want to focus on -- and you have some nice images with the horse and rider.

Keep at it, don't be afraid to experiment and don't be afraid to 'copy' other movies' style. You can learn a lot by imitating. And watch lots and lots and lots of movies. Pay attention to the rhythm of editing (as you watch, snap your fingers at every cut, you'll find the rhythms easily).

But like I said, film is hard work. Success is often a matter of persistence and just being willing to go back to the material over and over again. It's a skill set but like all skills, you'll acquire them through practice.

:) (Looking forward to seeing more...)

blackwatch86
Dec. 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
I agree, I think the "Too Late to Apologize" music is kind of strange.

Some of the shots are really good (in the dream sequence...didn't have time to watch the others), but she should be cantering the entire time, and there are a few scenes where she's trotting.

I thought you did a good job improvising the fall scene...but I wasn't sure what happened...did the horse stop? Maybe you could have that scene at a bigger/scarier jump, since the horse had just jumped a lot bigger and then spooked at a very nondescript jump.

Even so, GREAT JOB! I envy you for making a movie...I could never do this!

chukkerchild
Dec. 30, 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks all! I'm not sure who bumped up this thread but the new comments are great!

Yeah, the music choice is kind of weird, I actually had a purely instrumental one on there before that was probably a better choice. And the jump totally doesn't look scary, but it real life I promise it is :lol: It has a really steep downward slope up to it, but I didn't film it to emphasize that correctly. I actually have a shot in mind that would show better how steep it is. But unfortuanetly the movie will never be finished as the stunt-horse who does the jumping was sold :no: But next summer I'd like to start on a different one, and will take your comments to heart :)