PDA

View Full Version : anyone stabled here in MD?

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:37 AM
Saw that they added to the overnight on Saturday that all those stabled in MD must run in MD. My question is: to what extent? And how long will this last??

I can't see the big trainers staying here if they are limited only to MD tracks, when most ship to the nearby tracks (they'd be stupid NOT to!!).

We were going to move a bunch of horses to Bowie, but now may only move the 5 that we got stalls for at Laurel, if this is the case. I just can't imagine this "policy" standing.

Laurierace
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:20 AM
That is the policy at every track since the beginning of creation. They provide the stalls free of charge in exchange for you running your horses at their track. Obviously some tracks are more lenient than others, but they all frown mightily upon shippers.
I had a horse running off the farm for six months when I got a note at the gate saying if I shipped her out for this coming race that they would take her stall away and she would not be allowed to re-enter the grounds. I sent an email stating that said horse had been off the grounds for six months and therefore did not have a stall for them to take away. I still got hell for it.
I believe this is the reason everyone dreams of a training center where they are free to come and go as they see fit. The idea of not being under the racing secretaries thumb sounds like heaven to me.
In theory we are free to run anywhere we want while they are shut down in the summertime but I did have my stall allottment cut in half once with the note "too many starts out of town" with all the starts outside of MD highlighted. If you took the starts during the dark time out, I had exactly one start out of town for the whole year, and still lost half my stalls. I was forced to run 11 horses out of 5 stalls. Luckily I board at a very accomodating place and they let me swap horses in and out on an almost daily basis, but it was a pain in the butt.

Barnfairy
Feb. 5, 2008, 03:18 PM
In theory we are free to run anywhere we want while they are shut down in the summertime but I did have my stall allottment cut in half once with the note "too many starts out of town" with all the starts outside of MD highlighted. If you took the starts during the dark time out, I had exactly one start out of town for the whole year, and still lost half my stalls. I was forced to run 11 horses out of 5 stalls.
Is this policy enforced for bigger trainers who have hundreds of starts (both in MD and elsewhere) as well? It sounds like a convenient excuse to try to squeeze out little guys to make more room for those bigger trainers.

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah Laurie that was kind of what I was getting at. I see the bigger trainers shipping everywhere all the time, and they don't seem to get half the problems the smaller ones do. I guess it is just politics.

But with that in light, my question is- they have never put it on the overnight before. So while you say that is standard policy, how much will they enforce it now? I'm just wondering whether they can really enforce it given the fact that so many people do it. I'm not saying I want to stable there and ONLY run elsewhere- not so. Just curious.

I'm currently looking for a place to lease 8 stalls so that I can condition at the farm and not be paying full board prices. Right now I'm paying upwards of $600 a month, and need to find a different solution. Plus I have a young horse that absolutely needs to be at the track to train and get her gate card (she'll run whereever she is stabled so she is not an issue for any secretary- just the fact that she needs a month or two before she'll even run- she'd probably be more welcome at Bowie for that reason). But I am at a loss for finding the right situation for self care down here. I'm putting up flyers at the local tack shops, but have found nothing in my search thus far.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
Is this policy enforced for bigger trainers who have hundreds of starts (both in MD and elsewhere) as well? It sounds like a convenient excuse to try to squeeze out little guys to make more room for those bigger trainers.

My guess is that if Todd Pletcher wanted to ship in and out a horse they aren't going to give him a lot of grief :D

Laurierace
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
There is no question that they aren't playing fair with the big outfits and the little guys but they are playing the percentages. The big outfits run one or two horses a week out of town, but 20 or 30 in town they are going to be more apt to let that slide. If I ran two horses out of town that would leave me with zero horses to run in town, that is not going to go over real big. It can also get confusing because the big trainers have strings all over the place. The horses running at Charles Town for example may have come from MD or may be stabled at Charles Town.
To answer your question, I think they are going to enforce it more or less the same as they always do which means you might get away with a few out of town starts but that will come back to haunt you when the next stall app is due and they break out the highlighter.

Barnfairy
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
My guess is that if Todd Pletcher wanted to ship in and out a horse they aren't going to give him a lot of grief :DActually I wasn't even thinking that big. There's a trainer I had in mind who has finished at the top of the standings here at Suffolk pretty consistently now for the last several years, and I know he winters at Laurel. I think he's pretty high up in the standings there too.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 5, 2008, 05:01 PM
Things may indeed change for the Suffolk trainers now that Lou is gone...

And Laurie is right, they go by percentages as far as running horses out of town, and many of the big outfits have stalls elsewhere, so they just move horses around.

Seems to me I remember seeing the "Horses stabled in Md need to run in Md" on the overnite plenty of times! I used to cringe when we got that white envelope with our starts typed out...LOL...

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 06:06 PM
I wish it didn't apply to Bowie too though- I think the fact that it is a training center makes me "think" (in my head) that you can train out of there, and run any of the nearby tracks, not just Laurel which is what they are indicating now.

Laurierace
Feb. 5, 2008, 07:38 PM
Man if that was the case I would make the drive even though its twice as far. You are very much under their thumb there too.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 5, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yep, Bowie is just as bad... I know a trainer that ran a horse at CT... when they came back at midnight, they were stopped at the gate, and the trainer was told he had lost the stall...Security would not let the horse back on the grounds... what a crazy mess.

I believe at least three trainers at Bowie lost there stalls a few yrs ago for running out of town... they were pretty much evicted.

Doublete... just wondering how long you have been in Maryland? This is really nothing new!

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:20 PM
I haven't been here long, but the trainer that I am with has been here a while, and has never been concerned about it because he just noticed that they're putting it on the overnights.

So the question is, how in the world do the trainers with about 20 horses, and some that don't fit at a certain track that they are stabled at, do it? Aka, if you are stabled at Laurel/Pimlico and some of your horses need to drop down, and you ship out for a race at Charles Town, or even ship up to Saratoga to move up in class, how do you not lose your stalls?

This is all new to me, because any track I've ever been at it has never been a problem. Never heard of people being stopped at the gate for shipping back in from a race. Suffolk, Penn, Beulah, Thistledown, Turfway, or River Downs are the only ones I have experience with though.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well, first of all, welcome to Maryland, I think...

It's all based on percentages... and the trainer lets the Racing Sec know whats going on... you entered, the race didnt go... they put it up again.. another no go...and usually they wont mind you going out of town... we learned to ask, LOL!

Also, the Racing Sec will sometimes try and help you out by putting a certain race up on the overnight... it helps to be friendly... I let my husband do that part of the azzkissing...
But we still would get those damn highlighted letters at the end of the meet.

Like I said, when I was at Suffolk in the 80's things were very strict...that was when Rockingham was still running... we had about 30 horses, and my former FIL was the stall man... he kept very good track of where we ran...

Laurierace
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:56 PM
Once I shipped a horse to Penn that I could document entering 15!!!! times without the race going. They still gave me hell. Please God let Ray Ray win millions so I can buy a training center!

Acertainsmile
Feb. 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
You know Laurie...we have enough land to do it... it's one of those "build it and they will come" deals... we are about an hour from Laurel, but our location may not be ideal. We are wayyyy South...We may decide one day to put in a small track, and train off the farm...my husband would love to, me not so much.