PDA

View Full Version : When is your first event this season???

Xctrygirl
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:39 PM
Since we have a broad international demographic here I was curious,

* When is your first event this season?? All 3 phases, not just schooling shows.

(And of course I mean a best case scenario ;) )

For me I am eyeballing mid April at either Fair Hill, Flora Lea or Plantation. Its up to Lad's water jump situation and dressage as to which one I choose. But right around April 15th.

I just got back on him today after his vacation so I have 10 weeks to play with.

Ok so what about everyone else???

~Emily

sofiethewonderhorse
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:53 PM
When the snow melts ;)

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:56 PM
ahhh... the good ol' south!
first dressage schooling show...feb 16th, first three phase march 1-2 (but they've had a few already that i just didn't get to show at) and tomorrow XC schooling :)

though... it is not quite so much fun to do XC when it's 103 in the shade!!! yep, been there done that...

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:57 PM
Rocking Horse III on Feb 22! I'm super pumped! Then I am running Pine Top the following weekend and then nothing until May :(

Ishi
Feb. 3, 2008, 12:49 AM
Morven Park at the end of March for my Prelim horse and then April for the young horses. March seems so far away, I am hoping to move this horse up this season, so I can't wait to get out there and get showing on him!

KBG Eventer
Feb. 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
:lol: January 19-20.

I already had my first event of the year since I live in TN/Area 3!

pegasusmom
Feb. 3, 2008, 07:38 AM
This coming Wednesday at Full Gallop!

yellowbritches
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:24 AM
Next weekend at Sporting Days!!!! :D

I was a little nervous about not being ready until I jumped Paco through a fun little xc gymnastic yesterday....he's a super star! Our biggest problem will be our canter departs in dressage. Little mare may unload me, but Paco is ready (we ARE going to school water and a real ditch in a couple of days, but I'm not concerned).

Hilary
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:53 AM
Sigh. May 3-4 at UNH. We had an ice storm yesterday. Definitely ruined the footing....

Oh, wait, I didn't have any footing.

In the frozen north we rely on reports from you banana-belters to keep us motivated.

Kcisawesome
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
Full Gallop....:eek: :eek: :eek: ermm...wow....a week.....crap...leaving in 4 days....um...

*Runs screaming into the night*

Okay...okay...I'm excited, lol. :D:eek: I honestly can not belive I am acctually finally going to Aiken...*jumps up and down*....wowz.

Jleegriffith
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:59 AM
Emily, I am looking at the same time frame as you. Probably fairhill or plantation depending on how the weather has cooperated in the weeks leading up to the first events within 2hrs of us. I want to test out how well my boy has retained his confidence with ditches and do one novice and then move to training. My other greenie with do a few starter trials starting with St. Aug and then maybe Oldehope. If that goes well we will head to a recognized novice depending on our dressage. I hate going recognized unless I am going to be competitive so we can test ourselves at the cheaper starter trials first.

Auburn
Feb. 3, 2008, 10:21 AM
Spring Bay (April) in Area8 is the first one for Tess and me. Last year, I heard that the weather was awful. Hopefully, this year, they are do for a good weather weekend.

After Spring Bay, then we go up to Winona. Jackie always puts on a great event, so unless gas goes up to $4 gallon we will be there.

I am riding in clinics, in both Feburary and March, so should be prepared for April. I am really looking forward to having these opportunities. When we lived in NE OHio, Ralph Hill would come up to South Farm in January. Unfortunately, I never was never able to ride with him, but would go and audit. Last year, we went to Winona without even schooling any x-country jumps. With Masterson Station so close, I won't have that problem this year.

Good luck to everyone going down to Area III! Y'all have fun and stay safe. When you get time, send updates, please? :) Auburn

octavian_jazz
Feb. 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
Southern Pines II. Only 41 days away! :D :D

Hahahillary
Feb. 3, 2008, 10:27 AM
May 12-13

D:

asterix
Feb. 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
Morven at the end of March at Training to get the rust off, then perhaps Plantation April for Prelim (unless someone tells me it is NOT an early season course as advertised -- we've only finished one prelim so far...).
The baby will debut at BN at Redland in April :D

ss3777
Feb. 3, 2008, 11:09 AM
Sadly, the first recognized............7/20!!

We don't really get to go XC up here until about May. I use May and June for camps/clinics/schooling shows. I am hoping to really make up for lost time in the summer/fall. Maybe someday I will go south and things will be different. Also, my guy is uber careful and still carrying his "young" card. (psst don't tell anyone he is 8 this summer) If he did not get all the prep I could muster for XC, it would not be pretty!!!

scavenger
Feb. 3, 2008, 11:23 AM
Don't know hoping April. However I had hernia surg recently and am waiting to be told when its best/safest to start back. It was the result of a botched closure from previous surgery and I've been told it is is in a bad location and could easily reoccur again now. I don't want any more surgery, let alone the time off cuts in to my available vac. time to compete or do clinics. Soooo I really want to be cautious (unusual for me I tend to push limits like all of us) and will do as I'm told. I am paying some one to hack the mare 2X/week just to keep her ticking over and remind her she is "broke".

CookiePony
Feb. 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
Whine...

We have to see how rehabbing goes-- and Banks threw a wrench into things by injuring another leg and being off for 6 additional weeks. I think I'm looking at this summer. :(

I'll be vicariously competing with you folks, though. :cool:

flyingchange
Feb. 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
Morven March 29 at Prelim. Then Lucinda clinic in April. Then probably Fair Hill in May. All of course assuming eventing gods are good to us!

*eventer*
Feb. 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
I want to whine too.... I was signed up for Full Gallop on the 13th but my pony is lame and will likely be out for a couple of months :(. Hoping to bring him back by The Fork in April.

luise
Feb. 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
Not until May 10th, King Oak. We have a lot of dressage to work on until then!

eventer_mi
Feb. 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
Denny's unrecognized (but still good!) schooling HT March 8. Was going to go to The Ark, but 1) no paycheck and 2) The Wonder Paint has been BN there so many times now that it's boring for both of us.

The rest of the season we'll have to wait and see if a job shows up.

eventingmom
Feb. 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
I guess my daughter is one of the lucky ones. She went from the Wits end CCI in Ontario to Florida. In November they went Prelim at Ocala. She has done that one twice now and goes to Poplar Place next weekend. She's got three more after that before she comes home. A few weeks' rest after the trip home, and they are out on the Canadian circuit.

quietann
Feb. 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hilary,

I feel your pain! My friends will be taking Trump and Skip to UNH at the beginning of May for their first event of the season, too. And I can't even go, even though I am supposed to be their groom, sigh... They are both competing Novice, mom and daughter, but luckily daughter is still a junior so they won't be going against each other.

I am *hoping* to ride Trump in an elementary level event sometime this summer, if we can get some X/C schooling in. And double-hoping to have a horse of my own sometime this year, so I can compete on it next year.

Xctrygirl
Feb. 3, 2008, 02:57 PM
Wow its really cool to see the various schedules being worked with/contemplated out there!!

Jlee, I'll share my secret with you.... All possible starts are where he can SCHOOL the dreaded H2o way BEFORE the events!!! Mwuuu Ha Ha Ha.

We may do an unrec first also, depends on whats out there. Looking at the combined test at Weave a Dream in March. I like them a lot.

Flying Change-Where is the Lucinda clinic in April??

Meanwhile to those who are nursing injuries or injured ponies... sorry that you're on the sidelines but I am sure all of us can provide plenty of vicarious thrills for you!!! Take your time and come back 100%!!

Yellowbreeches- You'll be fine, just enjoy the ride!!!

~Emily

foxhavenfarm
Feb. 3, 2008, 03:04 PM
Weeeellllll, it would have been last weekend at Rocking Horse, but until we get a horse sold I can't afford it. So, it will be whenever that happens....:cry:

It's driving me nuts not being out there with everyone!

barilar
Feb. 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
Southern Pines I! and then Southern Pines II. Can't wait!

C.u.at.x.
Feb. 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
Not until May at Otter Creek:( I can't make it to Spring Bay this year..so the weather should be good- It always is when I don't go to an event!

NRB
Feb. 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
Flying Change-Where is the Lucinda clinic in April??
~Emily

Emily, Lucinda will be at WinGreen in Va on April 22 and 23. She then heads over to Rolex. But maybe she does a clinic elsewhere before WinGreen or after Rolex..

TheOtherHorse
Feb. 3, 2008, 07:19 PM
If for some awful reason I am still in Michigan at that point, I'm shooting for May 4 unrec at Copper Creek. However, with any luck we will have moved to Kentucky by then, so my goal will be Spring Bay or May Daze. I can't wait! :D

Spark
Feb. 3, 2008, 07:27 PM
King Oak - early may. Stupid new england

Long Shadow Farm
Feb. 3, 2008, 07:53 PM
Alot depends on how fast I get my QH gelding qualified for the QH World in the Jumpers. Until I get those 4 points I need (2 in Ammys and 2 in Open) we are mainly focusing on the jumper and QH shows. After our Jumper show today, I think we will get them pretty quick. So I am hoping to go to Holly Hill or Pine Hill in April and then Greenwood in May. I know for sure that we will do Greenwood in May as it is only 3 hours from the house.

Bobbi

StrawberryFields
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have my PC rating on April 6th but my first event will probably be Redland in April. Or olde hope on April 13th

yellowbritches
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:32 PM
If it makes anyone on the injured pony list feel better, we DO have a horse that will be sitting out the spring, and it is the most important horse, too!

The boss' good horse is healing very, very slowly from a minor injury from the fall. He is super sound and palpates negative, but the ultrasound still shows he is just healing way slow. The boss won't be doing his spring two star, as hoped (unless we can pull off an idea we had today)...soooo, while it is fun having all our special young, green, or novice/training packers to ride, our big horse still makes us kinda sad....:no: Injuries SUCK!

However, little mare was very good on the flat today and we have a plan for her dressage. I may still not have a walk, but she will probably be very good everywhere else. She does the gymnastic tomorrow.

Xctrygirl
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
The boss' idea better not involve a certain bay I know well and me breaking some bones!!!! ;)

Sorry to her about the big guy.

Big jingles from all of us here.

Hope the event goes well.

~Em

yellowbritches
Feb. 3, 2008, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, that certain bay won't work for the idea we have in mind. I'll tell you about it next time we chat.

Dunny is CRANKY. He does NOT get why he has to go AROUND all the xc jumps in the field we ride in and he doesn't understand why everyone else gets to go and jump them. :no:

Catalina
Feb. 4, 2008, 08:33 AM
Connor: Probably Redlands

Catling: Loch Moy Short Course in April

BlueRidgeEventer
Feb. 4, 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm shooting for the Va Starter HT at the end of March. I was originally hoping to start out at The Ark or Southern Pines 1, but that just isn't in the cards this year.

pharmgirl
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
Pony (without me): Redland
I don't think we will be ready for primetime together in April, but with someone else he should be fine.

Both of us: Difficult Run or Waredaca in May

All BN of course :)

These are my recognized goals. We will also do some unrecognized stuff, hopefully including some of the schooling shows/short courses at Loch Moy in April/May.

Fence2Fence
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'm aiming for Spring Bay in April.

I volunteered last year and that weather was MISERABLE. Yes, thank you KY for having weather that changes to extremes every 15 minutes. BRRR!

It's gotta be beautiful weather this year! I'm pumped!

curlykarot
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:57 AM
We are shooting for BN at Redland in April.

flyingchange
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:02 AM
XCgirl-

Lucinda will be at Win Green Apr 22-23 thanks to Marlborough Hunt PC. You should come to it!

purplnurpl
Feb. 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm so pumped!
1st HT is at Pine Top in 2 weeks.

Catalina
Feb. 4, 2008, 12:19 PM
Pharmgirl: I will be doing BN with Connor at Redlands :).

pharmgirl
Feb. 4, 2008, 12:30 PM
Catalina- if we go, just look for a giant appy with no tail (with someone other than me on him).
He's quite difficult to miss :D

Just promise you won't laugh too hard at him. Giant white appy butt trying to do dressage can be amusing, though :lol:.

Catalina
Feb. 4, 2008, 01:26 PM
I imagine he won't be hard to miss :lol:. Connor is a HUGE dark bay Tb with big ol' moose ears, a star and two hind socks. We won't laugh, I promise, because I haven't ridden in almost two months and I am not sure when I will be able to ride again, so I will be way out of shape. Dressage? How do you do that? :lol:

Sweet Thing Eventing
Feb. 4, 2008, 01:37 PM
I was aiming for the Meadowcreek HT in March, but since I am the only one ready to go from my area and I can't afford the gas on my own :no: I am now planning on the May Greenwood HT. I am so exctied!!

I at least have some clinics and schooling to hold me over for the next couple months. The first XC schooling will be mid march and I can't wait!!! :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
can't think past this week...let alone first competition. You guys have just stressed me out!!! I'm afraid to look at the ominbus since that after that is when the horses start to break!

But a lot depends on the footing and schooling. Baby horse just jumped two fences in a row for the first time and was a star....hoping to do the YEH classes for 4 year olds with him. Waradaca late May would be the first one...but he may not be ready. If not, we will aim for the June one.

Other horse....no idea. Just want to let her bomb around a few more training levels. Probably either Plantation or Fair Hill in April....probably Plantation since Fair Hill runs over three days. (And I hope the third horse will be SOLD before I think about what events for him!)

Are there still spots in the Lucinda Green clinic at Wingreen in April? Hadn't heard about that one.

3dazey
Feb. 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
First event of 2008? Last weekend, PTF! :D We had perfect, perfect weather...tons of lovely BN, N & T horses "getting the rust off"...so exciting. My baby OTTB did his 2nd event, first time N...was a baby in dressage but didn't whinny through the test or buck tho was distracted - very green show jumping but enjoyed himself immensely xc. Two weeks and the big shots come out to play - see you there!

NRB
Feb. 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
Are there still spots in the Lucinda Green clinic at Wingreen in April? Hadn't heard about that one.

She's there every spring and fall. Check out www.wingreenxc.com for the link to the Lucinda spring clinic.

toeknee
Feb. 4, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah so excited for 08! Hopefully Morven w/ my prelim guy but don't tell him because he will start to plot his misson of destruction for 2008! And maybe the Weaveadream CT for at least one the greenbeans...

I am so jealous of everyone going south! Can someone pick me up on their way? I can fit in a large dufflebag and I am pretty sure we could shove my horse in your dressing room! You would never know we were there!:)

cllane1
Feb. 4, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ft. Rucker, first weekend in March. Going Novice.

I'm hoping to get my baby (4 y.o.) out to a BN sometime this year, but we're taking it slow.

retreadeventer
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well...sigh....I wanted to do Southern Pines I but looks like Plantation will be our first. My major goal is MCTA Shawan Downs. Love that place. But I heard it's iffy this year.

Xctrygirl
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:56 PM
Ohhhh Holly!!!

Well maybe we can all go for dinner during Plantation and get some Carolina Coolers to drink. We can walk through a golf course sandtrap, step on a pinecone and VOILA... it's "Northern Pines!" :D

Can't wait to see you guys out and about.

Seriously I think we need a tradition of post event tailgating with fellow COTHER's!!

Gatorade for all! ;)

~Em

nc_eventer
Feb. 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
Maydaze will be our first recognized for the year after recovering from a tendon injury :( Quite excited! After that it will be almost nonstop until December! So excited to start!

c_expresso
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:57 PM
My first was at Ocala HT this year! My first back home will most likely be Morven, then the Fork!

scubed
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:21 PM
Did Rocking Horse I and II already (http://seema-thefloridachronicles.blogspot.com). The first one back home will be April Plantation, then May Plantation and Fair Hill

Invested1
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:23 PM
Morven at the end of March at Training

My plan too! Assuming my horse is unable to fulfill his quest to kill himself first. :sigh: :lol:

2016 RoyalCrown KTug
Feb. 5, 2008, 09:56 PM
Sporting Days at novice this weekend on my young guy! Should be exciting! :winkgrin:

-Gillian

blackwly
Feb. 5, 2008, 11:10 PM
Pine Top March 1-2, prelim. Can't wait!

Had a bad scare the last 2 weeks with a hind toe abscess and hopping lameness, but Stevie (crossing fingers, knocking on wood, etc etc) is back outside, fully shod, in work for a week and happy as a clam. Now I just pray for continued hoof health. I can't wait for the season to start!

artienallie
Feb. 6, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think Allie and I might hit a few schooling dressage shows in the next month or so - it's always good to get the flighty red-heads into the ring a few times BEFORE it counts. Yes - that's both of us. ;)

I think we may aim for Redland (BN), then Difficult Run (maybe N) as far as the start of the recognized season. We haven't done anything since Difficult Run LAST spring, and we retired! :no:

inquisitive
Feb. 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
Right now I'm insanely jealous of everyone. My horse and I have basically been off since October for one reason or another... :no: I might get the go-ahead to start riding him (only been hand-walking) Friday.

2 months of getting us back up to par with some schooling shows...

And I'm aiming for the March 30th VHT starter at N and then either Plantation or Redland as our first recognized at N. Hopefully do a couple at N and then move up to T. Any suggestions for good T move-up in Area II? I'd be interested in possibly an unrecognized T (as long as it is well-run and decent) as well just to get a feel...

inquisitive
Feb. 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
Inquisitive---

Training moveup.... the schooling show at VHT (the september one would work for you) is always a good one--- school on day 1, compete on day 2. But recognized? I did Surefire as my first one, the water seemed intense ('big' drop into it off of a large log). Not a galloping course at all, I didn't think it flowed very well, but overall it wasn't a huge course. Fair Hill would be a good one... I wouldn't call it a moveup, but it's a good course. Two long gallops during the course that set up nicely for the 'bigger questions'.

Thanks! Know anything a bit earlier? I hope to move up more like May or June? Big fences aren't an issue, I care more about not freaking him out with really technical stuff, meaning above-average difficulty for water/ditch/bank. :lol:

JERinNJ
Feb. 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks! Know anything a bit earlier? I hope to move up more like May or June? Big fences aren't an issue, I care more about not freaking him out with really technical stuff, meaning above-average difficulty for water/ditch/bank. :lol:

The May Fair Hill is basically a true training course and could be a good move up IMO. A few max fences but all inviting and nothing too tricky. There are numerous bank questions... small bank 2 strides to log. The training slide. And A bank/onestride/bank/onestride/log combo. The water is a basic boat house in, canter through bank out, and the coffin is either a full coffin over a tiny ditch or a sizeable roll top to sizeable but inviting ditch. Theres also a trakehner but its not even a reveted ditch so its NBD.

c_expresso
Feb. 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
VHT in the spring is usually pretty easy. CDCTA is a nice course... my friend did MDHT as her first training on her greenie and it was really hard as a first one, so I wouldn't do that...

scubed
Feb. 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
The May Plantation or the May Fair Hill are usually good move-ups. At the May Plantation, there is sometimes a ditch that is in a funny place and can take a horse by surprise. The water is usually reasonable and last couple of years, no banks at training that I remember. At Fair Hill, the water is usually jump over a house, then one stride and into the water and a bank out. There is usually a very friendly half coffin for the ditch question and the bank is straight forward if it is on the course.

Maryland in July seemed to have a pretty tough water - over a palisade, a couple strides, then down a biggish drop.

Waredaca has relatively tough water, but it is usually the second water, so they've done an easier first water. Others on these boards could tell you much more about Waredaca, but I think it is a good move up, because gallopy and inviting.

The May recognized at VAHT is also good, although hilly and if horse is green/spooky, stadium in the coliseum can be a deal breaker.

Finally, toward end of June, CDCTA seems reasonable, but I've only seen it once. Maybe Janet or others in that area could chime in more.

Good luck. I moved my guy up to training at VAHT last November and he did his second training last week down at Rocking Horse (which did have hard ditch, water and bank questions, so I was proud that he jumped around)

I

curlykarot
Feb. 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
inquisitive -
It looks like the Maryland Horse Trials are doing 2 unrecognized events E-T, April & May. Here is the link to thier calendar: http://www.mdhorsetrials.com/calendar.shtml

I have no idea what these will be like, but thier Short course events in the fall were pretty true to what you would see on a recognized course for each level.

Eventrgrl
Feb. 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
I guess I'll be seeing a bunch of you guys at morven training in march! Its my first event of the season with my older guy. Im super excited but I must say that Im ridiculously jealous of everyone getting a head start down south.

I just began brushing the dust off, jumping my guy in a clinic this weekend and doing our first heavy duty dressage schooling this past week. Im pumped! :D

My brave young guy should be making his eventing debut in april at plantation, novice level, depending on the amount of schooling the weather allows this spring. If hes not ready probably doing MCTA or another later in the spring.

Cant wait!