PDA

View Full Version : 101 ways to get eliminated

mellsmom
Jan. 31, 2008, 08:58 AM
So, I'm going to do a presentation...... 101 ways to get eliminated... so share your way....

mythical84
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:11 AM
Or at your first Novice jump Training fence #3, which is really no where near your fence #3.

I've seen this one a few times: carrying your whip into the dressage arena at championships.

bambam
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
My only E was when I could not keep all 4 of pony's feet in the dressage ring
I came damn close the day I entered the stadium ring without my armband on- thank goodness for the very nice stadium judge who whistled before I crossed the start line (which would have meant elimination), scolded me and let me go get it and ride a little late. phew!

CookiePony
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
Your Thelwell-pony-in-a-TB-suit neatly exits the dressage arena as you trot past "A"...

Invested1
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:16 AM
A couple of my E experiences:

- Not having rein stops on with your martingale (and thereby being told you're being eliminated just as you walk out of the ring with a beautiful, double clear stadium round which would have ended you in 3rd place).

- Being a complete moron and jumping Training jump #3 while doing a Novice course. Thankfully I jumped both Novice and Training (as the jumps were not next to each other). That part didn't get me eliminated. What did get me bounced was later in that same course completely blowing by one of my Novice fences. Was just not my day.... :lol:

drjuliea
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:16 AM
Jumping the first jump on stadium before the judge whistles you to go. I was very nervous!

Badger
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
Closest I've come is a red-headed TB temper tantrum in the dressage ring that concerned the judge.

I've seen people eliminated for carrying a whip in a championship, missing a jump on x-c, "showing" the horse the jump in stadium after it refused (smacking standing horse with crop as it faced the fence in question), illegal-sized crop in dressage or stadium, no rein stops with running martingale.

I bet you'll get a lot more than 101 ways!

mjrtango93
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:22 AM
Oh lordy I have figured out some imaginative ways.....

1) Go in dressage and forget to take off boots/polos
2) Not have spurs on for your intermediate dressage test (sure judge make me wear spurs on the hot chestnut TB mare that has never had spurs on in her life!)
3) Going off course in show jumping (ala Kristin Backman, that still hurts)
4) Horse trips in the middle of show jumping and flips while cantering on the flat in between fences
5) No medical armband
6) No number on your horse at an FEI event

Ok I'll stop now....but if you need more let me know.

mellsmom
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:28 AM
.... keep 'em coming guys!!!!!

I am thinking I need a powerpoint presentation of this....

Hollyn

Roney
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:29 AM
I somehow managed to get eliminated TWO YEARS in a ROW at the same event - held at my HOME BARN... so here's my 'key learnings' on how to get eliminated... :lol::lol:

1. Gallop through the water jump... without managing to go through the flags. (the WHOLE DAMN ENTRANCE was pretty much flagged, and I still managed to do this one).
2. Have your horse go lame during dressage.

The most recent one I learned here on COTH: wear a ratcatcher collar when coats are waived.

InstigatorKate
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:45 AM
Have a bunch of "helpful" spectators scream at you, "Don't forget the finish flags!!!"

Unauthorized Assistance (I wasn't forgetting the flags either......grrrrrr).

Hilary
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
Not going through the finish flags.

Not waiting for the bell before starting your stadium course.

Going through the start flags while waiting for the stadium bell to ring.

Jumping INTO the dressage ring before the bell is rung (the judge took pity on me and did not eliminate me but could have)

Camstock
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
Very first schooling event: jump the warm up fence backwards.

asterix
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:01 AM
Oh, sure, you people can all talk about missing a XC fence -- those things are out in the countryside, with acres of land. ANYONE could get lost out there.

I, on the other hand, managed to miss a SJ fence :D
Jumped 6ab, made a (very nice, if I say so myself) rollback turn to 8, carried on over the rest of the course...only to see my coach standing at the in-gate looking p.o'ed..."what about fence 7?" he said.

Fence 7?

I looked back...oh, that wee dirt colored one, way over in the corner...
turned to my coach...
"I didn't even GO over there!!!"
oops.

For years, long after I had left that coach, he would see me at events and yell "what about fence 7?"

WindyIsles
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
Oh, sure, you people can all talk about missing a XC fence -- those things are out in the countryside, with acres of land. ANYONE could get lost out there.

I, on the other hand, managed to miss a SJ fence :D
Jumped 6ab, made a (very nice, if I say so myself) rollback turn to 8, carried on over the rest of the course...only to see my coach standing at the in-gate looking p.o'ed..."what about fence 7?" he said.

Fence 7?

I looked back...oh, that wee dirt colored one, way over in the corner...
turned to my coach...
"I didn't even GO over there!!!"
oops.

For years, long after I had left that coach, he would see me at events and yell "what about fence 7?"

:lol::lol: I've done that one before (a few too many times... :o)

I think I need some sort of GPS...

pharmgirl
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:05 AM
Crushing the dressage ring on your first canter circle (subsequently ending up with all 4 hooves outside of the arena).

Long Shadow Farm
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:06 AM
Or better yet, jump an rolltop oxer backwards in Stadium. Let's just say my gelding's steering wasn't installed to well at the time and I tried to cut on the inside of the jump and he ended up drifting into the jump and jumped over it. sigh..........

Bobbi

LisaB
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:08 AM
So happy about getting through a nasty combo, forget last st fence and run right out of the arena.
Crop on xc has to be 24" long (I think. Janet!) and I was grooming for someone at a *. Her handle slipped out a little and it was a 1/4" too long. GJ took a measurement AFTER x-c and eliminated her. Even though she didn't use it at all. And she was up there in placing. Yep, this person on the GJ was that much of a b***h.
A person at the T3DE got too many time penalties on phase C! Didn't realize there was a time limit :confused:
Do you ever have that fear that you don't make your dr test on time and get the big E before you even start?

Invested1
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:10 AM
Not going through the finish flags.

I've also seen people get eliminated for missing "mandatory flags" on course...

eqsiu
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:15 AM
Completely missing a fence in stadium. In my defense, it was pouring and I'd fallen off in the middle of the triple. Somehow after I oozed back on and rejumped the triple I smoothly bypassed the next jump. :no:

NoGreatMischief
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:17 AM
Once I forgot so many portions of my dressage test, I got to the end and saluted and thought to myself... "hmm didn't even do the free walk, how about that?"

Life lesson learned: Don't take oxycotin before your dressage test first thing in the morning. ;) It was funny later though! :D

eqsiu
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:19 AM
One I saw at a pony club rally (USEA recognized)- beating the crap out of your horse after you get eliminated. We were glad, but she sadly didn't learn much.

kacey'srider
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:29 AM
ALWAYS jump fence number 8 in stadium, and fence number 11- well, it wasn't a fence but a tiny up bank, maybe that was the problem - on cross country.

Once horse puts her feet down in the water jump from the bank, she must CONTINUE through the water jump, not lift herself OUT of it THREE times!

That mare taught me everything I know! LOL!

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:33 AM
Have to second and third the jumping the wrong division fence...my kid jumped an intermediate bank at her first beginner Novice Trial at Fair Hill, then two years later at her first Training Competition jumped an Intermediate/Advanced fence (her excuse was that the black and blue backgrounds look too much a like). At least we knew her horse could handle to big jumps after these eliminations!

Now she walks the xc course three times if possible.

Catalina
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:42 AM
Do you ever have that fear that you don't make your dr test on time and get the big E before you even start?

Ummm, yea, been there, done that :o :o :o. My very first event ever after crossing over from jumper land where nothing is ever on time. I didn't realize that 10:28 meant 10:28 or else and I showed up a couple of minutes late and was subsequently given the big E. Luckily they took pity on me and I got to go HC instead.

Memorize the wrong dressage test and have no idea what the correct one is, even with the judge practically telling you the whole thing to you :o.

Blow by the last jump on XC after starting in second place and have a helpful, non-horsey friend yell at you "You forgot the last fence".

Have your horse go into complete meltdown mode in front of the BN water and refuse to get within 5' of it.

I also have a host of things that I could have gotten eliminated for:

jumping the fence the wrong way in warm-up
forgetting to wear my medical armband for XC
entering the ring before the signal
not saluting the judge in stadium
etc :o

Luckily in each of the above cases the judges tokk pity on me because I obviously was clueless :confused:.

I am hoping that I have learned from all my mistakes and actually do everything right this year ;).

Invested1
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:44 AM

You can get eliminated for that?!?!? OOPS!!! :eek:

mosmom
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:51 AM
First recognized event in stadium jump 5A and run out at 5B turn around and instead of jumping whole combo again just jump 5B. I was so disappointed in myself when I heard that whistle blow.

Nancy!
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
Had a teenager with me at her first event. She didn't realize there were 2 dressage rings. Went to the wrong one and was late. Got the big E. They were kind enough to let her ride HC. The pity part was that she would have won the whole division if she had been on time.

Second event she goes to do dressage and they tell her she missed her time. Whipper in has transposed 9:52 to 9:25. Teen was on time but she had left in tears and came back to trailer. She looked at her schedule and my watch and was still okay on time. Went back and rode but she was ready to quit eventing.

Nancy!

scavenger
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:57 AM
Riding loony horse froze in front of the sj start flags eliminated for taking too long to go through start.(wwhen he went through start they did let me continue--clean round!0
same horse froze on cc out of sight of fences--clean trip also but too much time = E
not a kid don't ride that type any ,more
Not wearing spurs in dressaage at one star

hey101
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
Once I forgot so many portions of my dressage test, I got to the end and saluted and thought to myself... "hmm didn't even do the free walk, how about that?"

Life lesson learned: Don't take oxycotin before your dressage test first thing in the morning. ;) It was funny later though! :D

:lol::lol::lol: (wiping coffee off monitor)

How about being in FIRST after dressage on normally-last-or-close-to-last-after-dressage mare in one of my first recognized trainings. All pleased and thinking I have it in the bag since XC and SJ normally a no-brainer. Rolling through first 3/4ths of XC, all is peachy, heading for ditch, starting to think "that doesn't look right...oh SH!T, that's the BN ditch (as we are 0.3 strides away from it) and the TRAINING ditch is immediately to the right, TRY like hell to haul over to the Training ditch, but my mare says "huh-uh, even ~I~ can't make a switch THAT quickly", and I end up IN THE MUDDY, WATER-FILLED DITCH. Mare hauls off to the starting line, I'm walking in shame back to the line. Kind spectator catches mare for me, asks if I want to continue, what hte hell. So I gallop off back to the offending ditch just as the next competitor comes through at a rolling pokey canter, and try like hell not to run over them as I finish the XC course behind them.

I didn't get eliminated, but I should have since I had about 4000 penalty points. :sigh:

On another horse I had a similarly good dressage ride, I think it was this horse's first Novice, and I blithely cantered right past the second-to-last jump on XC. Finish the course, and the starter says "did you forget something?" I'm looking around, have my whip, have my armband, have my horse!! "Uh, no?" I say hopefully, knowing that I MUST have forgotten SOMETHING for him to comment.

"How about fence 12".

"oh. Dammit."

Big E....

talkofthetown
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
Owning a pony that was trained as a handicapped children's horse; learned to lay down so kids could get on and off...that later turned into laying down in sand to "help" his riders off. A, trot down centerline, X, lay down. It was my first event (no whips back then), and I was so close to tears. The judge was super nice, let me finish the test, and let me ride XC and stadium. They gave me a huge Champion ribbon at the end, for being such
a good sport about it. :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
Wow...some really good ones. I've just had the basic ones.....

another pony in a TB suit deciding that he needed to look at every fence once before jumping no matter how much leg or stick was applied before the fence

Horse and rider both deciding the double Prelim steps down were just a might too steep for us that day

horse deciding that cows in TWO fields over from jump made such jump unapproachable within 100 yards (cows were a good 5-10 acres away and NOT in plain sight--took me awhile to figure out what was so scary to her after the E)...

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:25 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2976637#post2976637)
You can get eliminated for that?!?!? OOPS!!! :eek:

No, you cannot be eliminated for that.

Nothing in the rules says that you have to salute.

It is NOT listed as a reason for elimination.

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:28 AM
Owning a pony that was trained as a handicapped children's horse; learned to lay down so kids could get on and off...that later turned into laying down in sand to "help" his riders off. A, trot down centerline, X, lay down. It was my first event (no whips back then), and I was so close to tears. The judge was super nice, let me finish the test, and let me ride XC and stadium. They gave me a huge Champion ribbon at the end, for being such
a good sport about it. :lol:
Even if the judge wasn't being "nice', she could not have eliminated you for that. The worst she could do was to give you a 0 for that movement.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:31 AM
Even if the judge wasn't being "nice', she could not have eliminated you for that. The worst she could do was to give you a 0 for that movement.

Couldn't they get eliminated for taking too much time....since basically they were stuck at the one movement (while said pony lay down)....or if the rider had to dismount to get pony back up. Do you get eliminated if you "fall" off in dressage?---never really thought about since horse usually then leaves the ring!

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:37 AM
Couldn't they get eliminated for taking too much time....since basically they were stuck at the one movement (while said pony lay down)....or if the rider had to dismount to get pony back up. Do you get eliminated if you "fall" off in dressage? You do NOT get eliminated for a fall.

Ev 136.1.c

c. In the case of a fall of a horse and/or competitor, the competitor will not be eliminated.
He will be penalized by the effect of the fall on the execution of the movement
concerned and in the collective marks.

Yes, if it took more than 20 seconds you could be eliminated under EV 134.10

10. Any resistance that prevents the continuation of the test longer than 20 seconds will be
punished by elimination.

flightinstructor
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have a friend who was eliminated at AEC's a few years ago at Prelim for jumping the ADVANCED fence 2 away from home instead of hers. The horse jumped the fence great. She didn't even know until she saw the scores and didn't believe it until she saw the video. She does remember thinking that her horse was using himself better than normal over that fence. Oops.

After the best prelim dressage test I've ever had I managed to miss a fence on x/c. Horse was jumping very well until the TD stopped me and told me. Talk about feeling like and idiot.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks Janet! Granted if I fell off in dressage and managed to keep my horse in the ring....I might call it a day (besides....watching me getting on from the ground would be WAY to entertaining for those around!);)

FenRidge
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:44 AM
I was eliminated for dismounting before exiting the show jumping arena. I had just had a great clear round on a spooky young horse. The in-gate was packed with people and horses, for some reason I thought it better to get off 1 to reward the horse 2 to help navigate through the crowd better.

When they showed me the rule it was one that elimination was by the decretion of the ground jury. I thought it was a weird reason to eliminate someone at a schooling show.

EAlli
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:46 AM
almost got eliminated when a jump judge heard me talking to my horse, asking him which way we go (cuz you never know, he just might), after getting lost on xc. the judge called it in thinking I was asking another person. managed to talk my way out of it though.

talkofthetown
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:47 AM
I was too young to pay much attention to the comments on my test, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took more than 20 seconds. Pony stopped, went down, I jumped off, got him back up, trainer was given on with the test.

rhymeswithfizz
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:01 PM
I posted this a while back for the "show day mishaps" thread, in which I managed to get myself eliminated THREE times:

>>>>
My most "memorable" show was a pony club rally when I was around 13 years old. My horse at the time was a tail-less leopard appy, white with brown spots, with a butt the size of Wisconsin, one blue eye and one brown eye, who had a fondness for rolling in green manure. This being the days before Cowboy Magic, he always had these green splotches on his enormous rear, no matter how many baths I gave him. I think he took it as a challenge. His name was "A Thousand Clowns", TC for short.

TC was rather, shall we say, herd-bound. At this particular XC course, I made the mistake of not showing TC that other horses were galloping away into the woods, so that he would be game to follow. Whoops. TC thought this a poor idea, so I fought him for a good ten minutes, spinning and cantering sideways, attempting to even go through the fricking start flags, inching down the hill, before he finally clotheslined me on a tree and dumped me into a thorn bush and sprinted his fat butt back to the warmup arena, with his hairless tailbone pointing straight up in the air and screaming for his buddies.

After I disengaged myself from the thornbush and TC had been caught and brought back, I climbed aboard, and proceeded to scream every obscenity I had ever heard at this horse (mind you I was 13 and had never uttered a curse word in my life), much to the shock of the DC, organizer, and other PC moms, and got that damn horse all the way around that course. I managed to get eliminated twice - once for going over time, and once again for missing one of the jumps. Whoops again. And I probably would have been eliminated again for my potty mouth (I got a stern talking-to from the PC folks about my "language") and possible horse abuse (I was a bit more liberal with the crop than I believe is allowed), but I think they took pity on me. All of this to the GREAT amusement of my mother and trainer (who were just glad that I was unhurt and only pissed off, rather than actually injured or scared).

I continued my stellar performace by getting myself eliminated AGAIN in stadium - went through the start before they blew the whistle.

My mother loves to tell this story, even decades later.
>>>>

TheOtherHorse
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:24 PM
Your Thelwell-pony-in-a-TB-suit neatly exits the dressage arena as you trot past "A"...

Ah yes, this one has happened to me as well. My mare decided that was the moment where a nice half pass out the gate would be appropriate. :lol:

glfprncs
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:26 PM
Not realizing that when you get bucked off in the stadium phase, you have 60 seconds to not only catch your horse, but figure out how to get back on AND jump the next fence.

Hahahillary
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:32 PM
going backwards through the finish, if that one hasn't been suggested yet.

Loves to ride
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:34 PM
I got eliminated before ever entering the dressage ring!

Stupid horse spooked at stupid cows who decided to run down and stare at us while we were doing our trot around the dressage ring after the judge blew the whistle.

My horse took one look at the cows and ran backwards through the dressage ring, bringing the fence with him, therefore having all 4 feet enter the ring (at C no less). We subsequently exited the ring (all 4 feet), still running backwards and dragging the arena fence with us and got the big E. :eek:

The TD did let me jump xc and stadium; thank goodness!

I was mortified at the time, but he made up for it when we went back to the event later in the season (no cows!) and he won his division. :D

mjrtango93
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:38 PM

Doesn't it still require elimination if hips and shoulder touch the ground just like in the jumping phases? I believe it does because my horse did a sommersault in dressage warm up and the TD saw it and said I should be glad he did it in warm up as they can't eliminate me there.

snoopy
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:42 PM
When they showed me the rule it was one that elimination was by the decretion of the ground jury. I thought it was a weird reason to eliminate someone at a schooling show.

As it was a schooling show...it was a learning experience!!!

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:47 PM
Doesn't it still require elimination if hips and shoulder touch the ground just like in the jumping phases? I believe it does because my horse did a sommersault in dressage warm up and the TD saw it and said I should be glad he did it in warm up as they can't eliminate me there.
Nope. Read the rule I cited. "In the case of afall of a horse and/or competitor, the competitor will not be eliminated."

snoopy
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:48 PM
Janet, when did the rule change as I remember a time when a fall of horse and or rider was an E?

mjrtango93
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:50 PM
My TD was wrong then!!! Gee that never happens. ;)Anyhow I'm rather glad he didn't take a header in the ring as well. He rung his bell pretty good and took a couple minutes to regain his composure. Its really hard having long legs and being young you know!:yes:

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:56 PM
Janet, when did the rule change as I remember a time when a fall of horse and or rider was an E?
I'll have to check.

snoopy
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'll have to check.

Thanks...it is one of those rules that have come about, but some like me, were still under the impression that an E was the result of a fall. I would be interested to know when it changed....thanks for looking into it. Also if you happen on a reason for the rule change????!!!!:D

Catalina
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:03 PM
No, you cannot be eliminated for that.

Nothing in the rules says that you have to salute.

It is NOT listed as a reason for elimination.

It was at a schooling show and the stadium judge gave me a stern talking to about how I was lucky I wasn't eliminated for not saluting him :rolleyes:.

snoopy
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:05 PM
It was at a schooling show and the stadium judge gave me a stern talking to about how I was lucky I wasn't eliminated for not saluting him :rolleyes:.

I do believe it is custom and a curtesy, but not a requirement.

talkofthetown
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:11 PM
I also thought that- but I am by no means a rules guru. I *thought* it was rider fall=60 penalties (or something huge like that), second fall=E
HORSE fall (shoulder touching the ground)= E

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:20 PM
I also thought that- but I am by no means a rules guru. I *thought* it was rider fall=60 penalties (or something huge like that), second fall=E
HORSE fall (shoulder touching the ground)= E That is for cross country (except fall of horse is MR (Mandatory Retirement), but the effect is the same).

Not for DRESSAGE.

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:22 PM
It was at a schooling show and the stadium judge gave me a stern talking to about how I was lucky I wasn't eliminated for not saluting him :rolleyes:. There is no rule that you have to salute.

But I know of some judges who will not "blow the whistle" until you salute. So then you would be eliminated for starting before the whistle.

But most judges no longer wait for the salute before blowing the whistle.

NMK
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:40 PM
Forgetting to wear spurs in the dressage ring at Intermediate (or Advanced).

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:54 PM
rhymeswithfizz: that CRACKED me up!!! i'm commiserating as a fellow appy owner, who... while he does have a very small thin tail...with a skunk stripe no less... it isn't much... does the up over his back thing. SO EMBARASSING!! i was cracking up cause my horse is the exact same way!
sorry... you just made my day though :) and then cursing at him... awesome. i bet he LOVED it too. appies are such goobers!

snoopy
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:58 PM
I posted this a while back for the "show day mishaps" thread, in which I managed to get myself eliminated THREE times:

>>>>
My most "memorable" show was a pony club rally when I was around 13 years old. My horse at the time was a tail-less leopard appy, white with brown spots, with a butt the size of Wisconsin, one blue eye and one brown eye, who had a fondness for rolling in green manure. This being the days before Cowboy Magic, he always had these green splotches on his enormous rear, no matter how many baths I gave him. I think he took it as a challenge. His name was "A Thousand Clowns", TC for short.

TC was rather, shall we say, herd-bound. At this particular XC course, I made the mistake of not showing TC that other horses were galloping away into the woods, so that he would be game to follow. Whoops. TC thought this a poor idea, so I fought him for a good ten minutes, spinning and cantering sideways, attempting to even go through the fricking start flags, inching down the hill, before he finally clotheslined me on a tree and dumped me into a thorn bush and sprinted his fat butt back to the warmup arena, with his hairless tailbone pointing straight up in the air and screaming for his buddies.

After I disengaged myself from the thornbush and TC had been caught and brought back, I climbed aboard, and proceeded to scream every obscenity I had ever heard at this horse (mind you I was 13 and had never uttered a curse word in my life), much to the shock of the DC, organizer, and other PC moms, and got that damn horse all the way around that course. I managed to get eliminated twice - once for going over time, and once again for missing one of the jumps. Whoops again. And I probably would have been eliminated again for my potty mouth (I got a stern talking-to from the PC folks about my "language") and possible horse abuse (I was a bit more liberal with the crop than I believe is allowed), but I think they took pity on me. All of this to the GREAT amusement of my mother and trainer (who were just glad that I was unhurt and only pissed off, rather than actually injured or scared).

I continued my stellar performace by getting myself eliminated AGAIN in stadium - went through the start before they blew the whistle.

My mother loves to tell this story, even decades later.
>>>>

I do not own an appy...but love them. I am still laughing. What a funny story.

criss
Jan. 31, 2008, 06:26 PM
Be a chicken (but too stubborn to admit it) teenager with a horse with an identical attitude, learn to jump on said horse when horse has never learned to jump w/ an experience rider...teach horse to be a nasty dirty stopper by repeated dropping of horse at scary fences, with added bonus that rider is now leaning forward b/c of dropping problem...

Now, go out XC at Abbe Ranch, a HT in Colorado that for some reason had a weird vibe that really rattled a lot of horses. Have a stop at the first fence. Fall off at the second fence. Fall off at the third fence, twice.

Forget not wanting to event anymore, I never wanted to get on a horse again.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 31, 2008, 06:49 PM
Rules change - but

I know someone eliminated for climbing over a x-country jump.

Same person tried to rebalance his speeding horse on stadium, between jumps, by circling.

Same person did not have spurs in Prelim and got the big E.

Also, not saluting the show-jumping judge used to be the big E, but apparently not any more?

You could be getting some mis-information here ..rule gurus??

Kcisawesome
Jan. 31, 2008, 06:55 PM
I was eliminated for veering outisde a barrier (of poles on the ground) during stadium, it counted as leaving the arena....It was at a Starter Horse Trials...Silly me, I was under the impression starter horses are suposed to JUMP.....not STEER...;)

*Going through the start flags twice
*beating your horse over the head with a crop (yikes, that was painful to watch)

Kcisawesome
Jan. 31, 2008, 06:58 PM
Rules change - but

I know someone eliminated for climbing over a x-country jump.

Same person tried to rebalance his speeding horse on stadium, between jumps, by circling.

Same person did not have spurs in Prelim and got the big E.

Also, not saluting the show-jumping judge used to be the big E, but apparently not any more?

You could be getting some mis-information here ..rule gurus??

I am sure you cannot circle on stadium, But you can go spur-less at Prelim now. At least the Prelim event I went to the bit-check person was checking for illegal spurs/crops as well and told me I was the only person without spurs she had seen, but it was perfectly legal.

I don't think saluting is an E anymore...I mean, some judges don't wait for you to salut, they just blow the wistle.

Lauren!
Jan. 31, 2008, 07:09 PM
Totally miss fence #9. (Seriously, where was #9? It was there when I walked the course... and no it's nowhere to be found :confused:)

Not an E, but a great way to get huge time penalties is to get lost on XC, realize you're lost, STOP, pull a course map out of your pocket, let horse stand while reading map, trot back to last point where you knew where you were, and proceed. It was a great day otherwise :D :D :D My friends saw the whole thing and are STILL laughing about it... and yes, I DO carry a map in my pocket!!

If I get into this much trouble at BN what am I going to do if I ever get to Novice!

eventingmom
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:53 PM
These crack me up, especially the thorn bushes and the lying down horse. Thanks for that. Maybe the rules are different in Canada, but in all the events at which I have volunteered we have been told that a fall of the horse anywhere at the event was a mandatory retirement.

eventer_mi
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:55 PM
I didn't get eliminated for this, but I sure as he!! wracked up a lot of time penalties. I think I've told this story before, but I was at my second Novice event with my draft cross. Halfway through the course, I checked my watch and thought "Oh my God! I'm two minutes up on the clock!" I thought I was FLYING, so I dropped the reins, and Miles and I wandered through the woods at a walk, watching butterflies, while jump judges sat with their mouths open, wondering who the idiot was trail riding on course. I finally thought that I had wasted enough time, so I picked the reins back up again and finished the course, only to find out that I had mistaken the MAXIMUM time allowed for the OPTIMUM time, and was a whole minute and a half or so over OT.

I WAS (I stress the WAS) in second place. I have no idea why I thought I was galloping at warp speed on a Percheron x Morgan cross. My friends nearly cried, they were laughing so hard. :rolleyes:

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
OK, I checked my 1990 rule book (the earliest one I can easily get my hands on).

Fall in DRESSAGE was "NOT elimination".

In Show Jumping there was NO RULE that says you have to salute, and "not saluting" was NOT on the list of things you can get eliminated for.

So if they ever were grounds for elimination, it was before 1990.

Janet
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe the rules are different in Canada, but in all the events at which I have volunteered we have been told that a fall of the horse anywhere at the event was a mandatory retirement.

NOT for DRESSAGE, at least in the US.

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:34 PM
I thought I was going to get the big E at Midsouth CCI* before it even started!

My horse has discovered buddies at 9 years old. Now he's herd bound (lovely). Plus he can be a big jerk and he knows he's bigger than me. So my coach has a young one there also that has never jogged in front of people and is nervous of groups of people in general. So my coach knows the TD and they joke around about how we have a horse that may have troubles in the jog.

So Wednesday, jog day. Coach takes his 6 year old who jogs perfectly. Doesn't bat an eyelash at anything. No problem.

Enter me with my big horse who is usually AMAZING and doesn't care about anything on the ground when I'm leading him (only under saddle). Well... walk in front of ground jury, smile, stand, walk a few feet and trot... trot... damn you horse trot!!! Nope... SLAMS on his brakes with his head high staring across the horse park at riders in costumes way away.

Him slamming on his brakes throws me off the path holding onto the end of the reins. I turn to tap him on side. He LAUNCHES at me sideways then stops, rears and swings away picking me up with the end of the reins and HURLING me through the air to the other side of the path. We still have not jogged... not even one step. The TD chased him thinking that this was the horse previously mentioned... Luckily he passed. I was so embarassed I thought I would be excused.

It's a funny video though.

snoopy
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:33 AM
OK, I checked my 1990 rule book (the earliest one I can easily get my hands on).

So if they ever were grounds for elimination, it was before 1990.

Sadly the rule was drummed into me MANY years before then!!:cry:

Miss Perfect
Feb. 1, 2008, 09:07 PM
almost got eliminated when a jump judge heard me talking to my horse, asking him which way we go (cuz you never know, he just might), after getting lost on xc. the judge called it in thinking I was asking another person. managed to talk my way out of it though.

I remember when that happened to you! I was standing right near the area where you were supposed to turn right into the field, and you zoomed straight ahead instead. When you realized your mistake and came back towards the turn, I remember thinking "oh, thank God, here she comes", and then asking myself "who is she talking to?" - LOL! :lol:

eventingmom
Feb. 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
NOT for DRESSAGE, at least in the US.

I like how these discussions make me actually do research. Equine Canada Rules are just as you said. No elimination if the horse falls in dressage, but elimination and mandatory retirement if the horse falls in either the cross country or jumping phase. Learn something every day.

mellsmom
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
.... us eventing. It reads that in SJ 1st fall of competitor is elim, and 1st fall of horse is Mandatory Ret. BUT, then it talks about scoring the stadium round and adding penalty for a fall to disobed at a fence? Is this just a case of failure to update scoring to reflect Elim after fall? Also, there is a section about what you can hand a fallen rider, BUT if they are eliminated... why should it matter?

Also a change in stadium. No circling anywhere on the course. You used to be able to circle the last fence or fence after the upcoming fence, but now no circling at all anywhere?

fooler
Feb. 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
mellsmom ok, so reading the rules
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.... us eventing. It reads that in SJ 1st fall of competitor is elim, and 1st fall of horse is Mandatory Ret. BUT, then it talks about scoring the stadium round and adding penalty for a fall to disobed at a fence? Is this just a case of failure to update scoring to reflect Elim after fall? Also, there is a section about what you can hand a fallen rider, BUT if they are eliminated... why should it matter?

Also a change in stadium. No circling anywhere on the course. You used to be able to circle the last fence or fence after the upcoming fence, but now no circling at all anywhere?

You can circle - you just receive penalties for a technical refusal.
For several years there was a rule that you could circle the last fence you jumped or the next fence to be jumped, with some exceptions, without jump penalty (except possible time). But that was recently removed - most likely becuase it is confusing for both competitors & officials.
Regarding the competitor "eliminated for circling' - just a circle within the course would not eliminate, however, more 3 circles is 3 technical stops - E, prior stops + circle = 3 = E
Also if they went over the time allowed - that is another reason for E

mellsmom
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
circle = disobediance. I got beaten at a local ct a couple of weeks ago by someone who went past their jump, circled around it and presented the horse. I went to the TD and tried to arge the case, but they let it stand. I was pretty sure it didn't meet the earlier terms of acceptable circles, but now that I know that no circles allowed at all w/in course w/out being considered a disobediance, I will be sure to carry the new rule book with me to that particular show.

Hey Janet, if you are reading this, can you pass along the request that references to fallen rider in SJ scoring be deleated as it's confusing to some of us ;-)

I have to admit to being lax at following the rules changes as I have not been showing for the last few years, but now all of a sudden, i have to know it again. EEK! Talk about learning curve, headache.

Pandarus33
Feb. 7, 2008, 11:27 AM
1) Have horse execute a beautiful 4' jump....out of the dressage arena over a 12" fence.

2) Have your horse coming within millimeters of kicking the TD who was not in her way- she moved just to kick him! The air she moved made his pants crease flutter. Luckily, he only warned me but it would certainly have been elimination had she made contact.

3) Have your horse pop an abscess turning into A at the start of your dressage test. The judge saw us warming up outside and agreed that nothing looked amiss until that single step. 3hr trip one-way & wound-up losing $250 in fees...wah!

4) Horse throws rider outside of the arena. I mean, they were in SJ and the horse stopped near the fence, throwing the rider outside of the fence. She was more embarassed than hurt.

5) Finally- almost conquer training level, then take the novice fence at the last obstacle and gallop blithely through the finish line. I had to tell her at the finish and she was crying and laughing hysterically. Good sport about it, though.

6) Get lost in the woods while on XC. It is possible to completely lose your way and wind up beyond the time limit.

7) Have your brand new girth break on XC with no hope of making it work for two more fences.

8) Fat little pony stops four times in Stadium to eat the grass...and the poor kid couldn't get that pony's head up to save her life.

9) Overly tired and slightly sick teenage rider gets half-way through SJ course (placed 2nd and poised for 1st if she's clear). Suddenly forgets the entire rest of the course, mentions it loud enough for trainer to hear and is so addled that she takes #10 instead of #6. It took the trainer at least 15 minutes to get the rider to figure out that she had taken the wrong fence. Lesson learned- never ride when you're coming down with mono.

10) Have horse buck you off THREE times in XC. While none were related to the fences and were therefore not technically falls, the TD decided that the pair needed to go home after the third fall....and that was all before jump #2.

sidepasser
Feb. 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Why are spurs required when one moves up the levels? What if your horse hates spurs and is a total freak about them (I can think of some horses that would have a serious discussion about spurs with a rider)? What if the horse does not need spurs to go, perform movements, etc.

Just curious as to why it would an elimination/requirement?

LSM1212
Feb. 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
Luckily they took pity on me and I got to go HC instead.

Not a regular here. So.... what does HC mean?

Good stories! :D

Camstock
Feb. 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
Regarding spurs at the higher levels, I can't speak to why they are required, but riders at that level should be able to control whether their spurs come in contact with the horse.

HC = H'ors Concours (and I may have the spelling slightly wrong, it is french) means competing but not for a ribbon. You can ride HC and have the lowest score, but you don't get the ribbon or the points. Often classy professionals will do it on a green horse in a low division so as not to take ribbons from non pros. Many other reasons to ride HC.

Just remembered another way I got dinged. Not eliminated, but pretty strange result. I got lost on stadium and came to a halt to gather my thoughts. That is a 4 point fault. Whoops. Traded a pretty blue ribbon for a lovely pink one. Drat.

Janet
Feb. 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
mellsmom ok, so reading the rules
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appers that you are reading the 2007 rules.

For 2007 they changed the penalty for a fall, but neglected to update the rest of the rules that refer to falls.

For 2008 they have cleaned up MOST, but not all, of the other references.

I think the proposed rule change for 2009 gets rid of all the no-longer-relevant references to continuing after the fall.

Janet
Feb. 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
Why are spurs required when one moves up the levels? What if your horse hates spurs and is a total freak about them (I can think of some horses that would have a serious discussion about spurs with a rider)? What if the horse does not need spurs to go, perform movements, etc.

Just curious as to why it would an elimination/requirement? The rules say

“Dummy spurs” with no shank ... are allowed

Janet
Feb. 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hey Janet, if you are reading this, can you pass along the request that references to fallen rider in SJ scoring be deleated as it's confusing to some of us ;-)
The powers-that-be are well aware of it. And I THINK it is taken care of in the rule change proposal that goes into effect Dec 1 2008.

mellsmom
Feb. 7, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cause you know, SOMEONE will ask me....

The no armband in stadium, I can see where it's a fine of $100 but not where it mentions you caan be eliminated for it. I'm reading 2008 rules as posted on the USEA website. I need to suck it up and buy a new rules book.

Hollyn

LSM1212
Feb. 7, 2008, 02:21 PM
Regarding spurs at the higher levels, I can't speak to why they are required, but riders at that level should be able to control whether their spurs come in contact with the horse.

HC = H'ors Concours (and I may have the spelling slightly wrong, it is french) means competing but not for a ribbon. You can ride HC and have the lowest score, but you don't get the ribbon or the points. Often classy professionals will do it on a green horse in a low division so as not to take ribbons from non pros. Many other reasons to ride HC.

Just remembered another way I got dinged. Not eliminated, but pretty strange result. I got lost on stadium and came to a halt to gather my thoughts. That is a 4 point fault. Whoops. Traded a pretty blue ribbon for a lovely pink one. Drat.

Thank you! I thought that's what it meant but wasn't 100% sure.

wlrottge
Feb. 7, 2008, 03:12 PM
Didn't happen to me, but I had to E a couple of riders while jump judging.

Course has two drops side by side. N goes down, BN goes up. All the N riders got it right... just a couple of the BN riders went between the right flags, just wrong direction... remember, red to the right ;)

Now, this did happen to me.
FIRST XC course EVER. Had four stops... and still caught the horse in front of us. We had some speed issues to say the least.... So, E'd for the stops and I'm sure we would have gotten a speeding ticket as well. So much for "just let him roll at a comfortable canter". Next outing came prepared a little differently and had a PERFECT XC round.

LSM1212
Feb. 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
I thought I was FLYING, so I dropped the reins, and Miles and I wandered through the woods at a walk, watching butterflies, while jump judges sat with their mouths open, wondering who the idiot was trail riding on course.

Okay, I'm crying now. :lol:

Janet
Feb. 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
Cause you know, SOMEONE will ask me....

The no armband in stadium, I can see where it's a fine of $100 but not where it mentions you caan be eliminated for it. I'm reading 2008 rules as posted on the USEA website. I need to suck it up and buy a new rules book.

Hollyn I think it is more that they won't let you in the ring/in the start box without it.