PDA

View Full Version : question on contacting my OTTBs last trainer

TB Fan
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
My OTTB was 10 years on the track. He retired at 13 yrs old with 118 +/- starts (and finishes). I adopted him when he was 16 yrs old, after his last owner had a failed attempt at re-training him for dressage. He's very opinionated. He's been enjoying life as a pleasure horse, trailriding, camping, a little ring work, little jumps (x rails), and ground poles, hanging out in the pasture with his buddies, etc. He's remarkably athletic.

His last trainer actually claimed him sometime in the last years of his career. He was the one who ultimately retired him, I believe. The trainer's name is Kevin Joy and I think he is at Suffolk Downs. Does anyone know this trainer? I have always wanted to send him a note with a current photo so he could see that one of his horses is thoroughly enjoying life. But I'm not very savvy about track etiquette, and I don't want to bother him either. Any advice from the track savvy crowd here? Do you think this trainer would be interested in knowing where one of his charges is now?

Thanks in advance, and I really enjoy the topics on this forum. Lots of great knowledge on this board.

caffeinated
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
you have a PM coming! :)

HuntrJumpr
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
I had a "problem OTTB" who I broke down and emailed the last known trainer. The trainer sent me a very kind (and sympathetic) reply, and I thanked him profusely for his time. I understand that I got "lucky" and hopefully didn't bother the guy too much. I think your email/note sounds like it would be far more enjoyed, being as it's from a "positive light." :D ((Unfortunately, my email simply got confirmation on somethings I was hoping to not have confirmed!))

ArtilleryHill
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
I contacted a couple of my OTTB's trainers and they both were very glad to hear that he was safe and had a happy new career and life. Some trainers might blow you off, but, as someone who has worked in racing for 20+ years, I'm pretty sure the majority would be happy to get the update, even if they're too busy to call you back if you leave a message. I vote try to contact him and tell him. You don't really have anything to lose.

Barnfairy
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have a suggestion, not so much directed at TB Fan but rather to owners of OTTBs in general.

A very unobtrusive, no-bother way to make it known that a TB is happy and well in his new profession (or life-of-riley) is to post a brief, to the point update in the horse's info at pedigreequery.com (http://www.pedigreequery.com/).

That way, if former connections are ever curious about said horse, there it is. If former connections don't want to hear another word about Spendy McSlowson, then no harm, no foul.

You can list yourself as owner, or remain completely anonymous.

Texarkana
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've met Kevin Joy, but don't have any contact info for him. He trained for an owner I used to work for. Sorry I can't be more help.

But... who's your horse? I may have met your horse if by chance he was one of the ones from the owner I worked for. Feel free to PM me. :)

Calamber
Jan. 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
Kevin Joy is at Charles Town, WVa, he is a nice guy and would love to hear about a horse that he had that is doing well in a new job. You can contact him through the HBPA office in Charles Town.

TB Fan
Jan. 30, 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I would really like to get a hold of him, but don't want to get in the way. My OTTB is such a character, I hope he remembers him. At this point, he's been off the track for about 10 years now. Of course, no one told him that! He gives me a run for my money more often than not.

Texarakana, my gelding's name is Marathon Wish. He is N11901 and proud of it. He raced in mostly smaller tracks, and was mostly a claiming horse the second half of his career. He started in Woodbine in Ontario. He raced at the Fairgrounds in LA, Suffolk Downs, Penn Nat'l, Woodbine, and that track in New Hampshire that I can't think of the name right now. There might be some others in there too.

Barnfairy, I will definately post a note on the website you suggested. My gelding had quite a few owners/trainers for a bit as he was claimed a lot.

Calambar, help me out, what does the HBPA office represent or stand for? Is that just the track office? Or something else. I have called various tracks to get wins photos, but it's been a while so I might need a refresher as to what the protocal is.

Once again, thanks all for your input!

Acertainsmile
Jan. 30, 2008, 05:44 PM
The track in NH was Rockingham Park...and yes Kevin is in W.Va now...I would call the main number at Charlestown and ask for the racing office...someone there should be able to help you out with his phone number!

luvmytbs
Jan. 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have always let the former trainers/owners know about their past charges. There was only one trainer ( a big name too) who was not interested. But that may have been, because the owner fired him before I got the horse, LOL. But his barn manager and the track vet were all over the pix I provided.

I'd say go for it, you may find out some info you didn't know about your horse.

With one of my OTTB's I found out that he had tie-back surgery when I contacted his very first owner.

Texarkana
Jan. 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
Texarakana, my gelding's name is Marathon Wish.

Ah, sorry... he retired way before I ever met the trainer. It was worth a shot, it would have been cool if it was a horse I had known.

And I second what Acertainsmile said. Just call the racing office. They should be able to give you contact info for KJ and the track photographer for a win pic. Good luck!

Norcrest
Jan. 30, 2008, 06:45 PM
Kevin is actually at Charles Town now and I sent you a PM as well.

EponaRoan
Jan. 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
what does the HBPA office represent or stand for?

Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association. In their own words:

The National HBPA is dedicated to protecting the rights and providing assistance to racehorse owners & trainers.

http://www.hbpa.org/

FLIPPED HER HALO
Jan. 31, 2008, 12:54 AM
You'd be surprised how many trainers truly care for and wish the best in their horses. All my horses are OTTBs (except my daughters welsh pony) and I've had a few friends that needed help finding out info on their OTTBs and I've called prior trainers for them. It's wonderful when you can learn the horses background.

For my first OTTB (he's 20 this year) I contacted Cardiff Stud Farm where he was born and they were kind enough to mail me his baby/JC registration pictures! That was so awesome! He has the same facial expression as he did at 6 months.

I had a multiple stakes placed racer who was still racing at 10. His trainer had bred and raised this guy and the footing at GGF was crappy in the winter and he didn't want to risk him breaking down. He'd more than earned his retirement winning over a quarter million. One of the other trainers at the track that I was friends with called me and I went and got him. I retrained him for dressage and his old trainer loved getting pics of him and seeing how happy and spolied he was.

TB Fan
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:00 AM
Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who sent me a PM. I read them this morning and will be pursuing all of the advice. Caffeinated - I'll probably put a note together for you for the 9th. I am going to be out of commission this weekend due to a medical thing.

Norcrest
Jan. 31, 2008, 05:50 PM
I am on the phone with Katie now and she was excited said Kevin would love to hear about what he is doing now. She will mention his name tonite since they have a horse in the 3rd at CT.

TB Fan
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
Norcrest,

I'm sure it's too late but please let Katie, and Kevin, know that Swan (his barn name now - for his beautiful neck) is quite the character. He is still screaming around the farm like "people are betting on him." He basically thinks its all about him! If he weren't so damned handsome....

I will absolutley put a note together and a current photo and hopefully we can get them to Kevin Joy.

Carol Ames
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:49 PM
Remember also that at the breeders 'is someone who knew your horse as a foal, probably loved them dearly:yes:, gave them kisses on the nose,:winkgrin: scratches or "scritches" :lol:in their favorite spots, and taught them that human"moms" can love, too, :yes: I think of such people every time I hear of a horse breaking down.:sadsmile: I cried at two weeks when, they left for KY with their Moms who were to be re bred; and made it a point to say a personal good bye:sadsmile: to "my " babies " before thy left for the:yes: sales; I know there are others who care as much as I did :yes:

Rusty Stirrup
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:12 AM
I know that I would love to know about happy stories of the horses I worked with at the track. Unfortunately, it seems only the heart breaking ones get back to me. I'm sure you put a smile on his face.

gallupgirl
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:00 AM
From many mornings in the track kitchen, please call or send a note........they love it.

In between bragging about how fast their horses run, they love telling stories about where the old horses are and how great they are doing. Don't be suprised if the 'small jumps' becomes 'olympic jumper' and 'trail riding' becomes 'fox hunting'. :)

TB Fan
Feb. 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Remember also that at the breeders 'is someone who knew your horse as a foal, probably loved them dearly:yes:, gave them kisses on the nose,:winkgrin: scratches or "scritches" :lol:in their favorite spots, and taught them that human"moms" can love, too, :yes: I think of such people every time I hear of a horse breaking down.:sadsmile: I cried at two weeks when, they left for KY with their Moms who were to be re bred; and made it a point to say a personal good bye:sadsmile: to "my " babies " before thy left for the:yes: sales; I know there are others who care as much as I did :yes:

Carol Ames,

I would love love love to get a hold of my boy's breeder. He/They are N.P. Lawson out of Ontario. I tried with no success years ago. Just not sure where to start. We are talking about circa 1984, though too. I will have to post some photos so you all can see him. Since he is an 'aged' fellow, with that many years on the track, I try to go easier on him. But he certainly ain't ready to be a pasture ornament. This horse has the best work ethic. The funny thing is, he is pretty healthy, the easiest keeping TB I've met in a while. I don't even blanket him. He is literally his own "bear skin rug". I've only got him on a joint supplement and that's it. He, of course has his own masseuse (sp) and chiropractor!

But I digress, Carol Ames, if you have any suggestions on finding his breeder, let me have them. It's cold her in Feb in New England, so the riding is at a minimum right now.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 1, 2008, 05:21 PM

And this is why it looks like we will be keeping one of our yearlings fillies...my husband just loves her, and cant stand the thought of selling her...I'm hoping she is as "special" as he thinks she is!!!!

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'd be the "Katie" that Norcrest was talking to, and this is the first time I've had a chance to get online.

Definitely drop me a line, I'll give you my contact info and Kevin's. When I mentioned your horse's name that night, Kevin lit up like I'd just said he won a million bucks. He said that horse is the reason he got back into racing. He had about given up, claimed him (or bought him, can't remember) and the first year he had him he won 5 of 8 races. He raced him lightly, but the horse did extremely well for him. Kevin said he would LOVE to see pictures of the old boy now.

caffeinated
Feb. 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
haha... this is like a race... "who can get pics to Kevin first..."

Texarkana
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:17 AM
haha... this is like a race... "who can get pics to Kevin first..."

Haha, yes. But it's great that the story has a happy ending. :)

We need to save threads like these for future reference when people are lambasting racing folk.

TB Fan
Feb. 5, 2008, 08:35 PM
Doublete-
Are you serious about Kevin remembering Marathon Wish??? It's been at least 10 years by now! I hope you're not just saying that to make me feel better. I have been stuck at home for the last few days due to a medical thing, totally bored and depressed and that just lifted me right up. I was thinking of putting a a quick note together to fill Kevin in on "Swan" his barn name, and sending some photos. What's the best way to go about this? Is your email in your profile? If not, you can send me a pm with your email details, or I can 'snail mail' it to any address. I am so excited to get such a great response from all of you. It goes to show you what a small community it really is.

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
I'll send you a pm in reply to yours.

But wanted to publicly note that yes, he does remember the horse. Seems that the horse was very important in influencing his career. Some/most trainers remember every single horse they've had. We imprint the names into our memory, and usually we have good ones when it comes to horses that won for us. :)

witherbee
Feb. 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
Absolutely true Doublete - many trainers remember every horse, and of course some are very special to them. I know that I remember most if not all that the family owned or trained over the 15 years I've been involved (married into a 3rd generation racing family). It's always great to hear how they are doing, and I am working on an updated web page of our alumni.

caffeinated
Feb. 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
TB Fan, if you put a note together with pics and email it to me, I can print it here (have color printer) and have it to him on Saturday.

It's really no trouble, since I'll be there anyway. :)

can pm you my email :)

doublete
Feb. 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
I've told Kevin that the letter will be in the mail with pics, and he is thrilled. Can't wait to see them!

TB Fan
Feb. 7, 2008, 10:14 PM
Great, thanks Doublete. I'm very excited. This has made my little medical lay-up here at home very bearable.

hunterjumper81
Feb. 7, 2008, 10:21 PM
Don't forget to let them know how excited he still gets when "derby day" is right around the corner. I swear he thinks he is about to run a race again when we sound our "trumpets". Good ole Swan. Either that when he is next to my OTTB he thinks he is racing!