PDA

View Full Version : Which claimers do you root for?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:08 AM
Which horses do you follow who aren't part of the "big names" contending in the graded stakes bt rather the bread-and-butter of this sport?

I know we've tossed a lot of names under the 'Those beloved battle tested warriors! (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=90351)thread - like Our Best Man - but there must be others who are plugging away at Suffolk, Aqueduct, Mountaineer, Hawthorne, Turf Paradise, Turfway Park, etc ....

For example I still look for Golden Man once a graded stakes runner now seen in sub $30k claiming races at Aqueduct.

Then everyone's favorite claimer, Golden Hare, who was the winningest horse in 2007 with 14 victories.

Who do you watch for?

Texarkana
Jan. 30, 2008, 08:41 AM
I root for a bunch that I know in some capacity.

But, by far, my favorite claimer running is Honor Prayer. I guess I can't call him a claimer at the moment, since last time out he moved up to a $4,800 starter allowance at Beulah. :lol: I'm pretty sure he'll be seeing the $3K claimer ranks again in the not-so-distant future.

Linny
Jan. 30, 2008, 11:07 AM
Again and Again, Pay Attention, Dynergy and R Clear Victory in NY. There are a few I follow at PHA and in KY as well. I agree about Golden Hare, he's a cool horse.
I know there are others, when I see their name in the Form I'll add to the list.

Calamber
Jan. 30, 2008, 11:54 AM
Azure Ciel, 11 years old and still plugging away at Charles Town. Just won a $4,000 claimer the other night. I wish they would retire him, big ankes and all.:( I love him, he likes to escape from his stall if he can.

Barnfairy
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
I've got a bunch, mostly horses I've met like Blind River Fox (http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/horse_racing/articles/2007/08/15/her_life_on_track/) (He runs at the allowance/optional claimer level, and was named top sprinter at Suffolk last season. I got to stand in the winner's circle with him last June -- so cool!) or the diminutive MA bred Shamrock Patty (http://www.trfofne.com/peabody05.htm) (who at last notice was in with $2000 claimers at Penn Nat.)

Christmas Away (http://www.cmannphoto.com/Photoshop%20pages/Christmas/pages/5aqd0784.htm) --the now 8 year old son of Skip Away who ran is some lesser stakes races in NY before dropping to the claiming ranks-- is still on my watch list but I'm not sure if he's freshening up this winter or if he's all done.

I also have quite a few that are just starting out their careers: Salty Kisses, full sister to my Salty's Actress, who has put in a few works at Tampa, and a few sons & daughters of Prince of Fame, sire of my Rasor D, running out in New Mexico.

caffeinated
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've mentioned him before but I'm a Tyros Beach fan. :) He's running in optional claiming races now, and trains at Laurel. Hasn't actually run in a while, though (and hasn't been doing all that great at it, really).

I just love his big moose face, he was my horse's turnout buddy as a yearling and early two year old. :)

mintano
Jan. 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
My favorite claimer would have to be Ohbeegeewhyen. She was the first racehorse I was put up on to exercise and is such a sweet little mare. She was a turf runner in the $30k Claimers up here in Aqueduct and Belmont she was moved down to the Fairgrounds where she was claimed and seems to be working to another race. She's a very consistent girl, always tries her hardest once the gates open.

Others would be Baby Book, the first racehorse I was dumped by, Rememberthecowgirl, Prime Diamond, Bold Love and others.

texang73
Jan. 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
I like Golden Hare, though I am biased as I get to see him work on the weekends at Sam Houston.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
I like Golden Hare, though I am biased as I get to see him work on the weekends at Sam Houston.

Born 02/20/1999, GH just worked out on the 27th at 5 furlongs in 1:03.80 (http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=99044806) on a muddy track ;)

Bedazzle
Jan. 30, 2008, 03:55 PM
Trail Boss is one of my current favorites who races at Beulah right now. He has won his last two races. :) And he is really cute. I'm secretly hoping one day he shows up on CANTER and I can buy him.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 04:06 PM
This Friday (Feb 1st) Golden Man will be running at Aqueduct for a $10k claiming pricing and $22k purse with 10 other starters:

Race 7 on 2-1-08 at 6 Furlongs - PP #9 Golden Man (http://www.drf.com/entries/01/eAQU01.html?rn=309926#7)

In the 3rd race, another claimer for bigger dollars, is another name of recollection that's been kicking around: Artytheonemanparty

texang73
Jan. 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
Born 02/20/1999, GH just worked out on the 27th at 5 furlongs in 1:03.80 (http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=99044806) on a muddy track ;)

Yep, I was the one who entered the info into Ebase! :D

miss_critic
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:39 PM
I have 2 that I had been following since last summer. One is out-Dr Voodoo. I liked him for no other reason than he looked spectacular under the lights at Penn National. He ran well too. Somebody on here actually posted not too long ago that she aquired him for free since he got injured. Nonetheless, it was nice to know what happened to him and that he got a great home. I guess those off topics are ok sometimes ;)

I also really like Mr. Sexy Cat. I'll admit I only really noticed him bc I have a cat named Sexy AND the little bugger won! I proceeded to watch him move up from a 5 or 10K claiming race to a 16K allowance race. Unfortunately he was brought back down and last time out at Laurel he didn't do so well. But it is fun having a horse to watch that is more or less local (I hope he comes back to Penn when it opens)!

What I noticed about both these horses is that I never got workout notices for them-only notices that they were racing.

If anybody knows of any others I can look out for at Penn, let me know! :) What is neat about this area is that Penn National actually has its own TV channel if you have only the simple extended cable!!

Texarkana
Jan. 30, 2008, 11:26 PM
What I noticed about both these horses is that I never got workout notices for them-only notices that they were racing.

There's a reason for that. Hopefully one of the trainers on here can explain it better than me. But at most tracks you need X number of official works in a certain time period OR a race to remain eligible to run.

To do an official workout most places, you pretty much have all the hoopla as you would for a race (you need a jock, a starter, a clocker, verification of identity, no illegal meds, etc.). So with the cheap horses, they just run 'em regularly. No need to register for official works and you can earn a buck.

Although, a lot of the time people get around the workout rule and run without a work. Like for example, earlier this month I was watching a maiden claiming race where two of the horses had no works and no starts (and the announcer kept confirming there were no published works on those horses). I don't get that. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

MassageLady
Jan. 31, 2008, 12:23 AM
I usually root for the ones I know, alot that I have worked on:yes:

Norcrest
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:08 AM
I root for a ton of them because I own their dams or 1/2 sisters or 2nd dams but then I have my favorites just because they are older classy horses. Vinemeister at Charles Town is one, but he recently retired to stud. The other is Danthebluegrassman...this old boy ran in the Derby (or was on the Derby Trail cant remember which but I remember watching him on TV) and I saw him at Presque Isle on opening day this past fall and he ran last week for $7500 at Philly Park. I would love to have this boy in my barn at some point as a stud. Mister Lover Lover, I owned his 2nd dam until her death (have her 2yr old colt here) and not only do I love his name but he wins regularly...last win was a few days ago at MNR.

Texarkana
Jan. 31, 2008, 09:17 AM
The other is Danthebluegrassman...this old boy ran in the Derby (or was on the Derby Trail cant remember which but I remember watching him on TV)

Someone else just brought him up the other day. He was entered in the 2002 derby, but tied up the morning of the race and had to scratch. I think it's so cool he's still running.

Another tidbit, 2002 was the same year Lusty Latin ran in the derby. He was still running in the claiming ranks as of last summer, although I haven't seen any notifications on him lately. Not sure where he is now. He's a neat horse, I worked with him a few years ago.

gallupgirl
Jan. 31, 2008, 10:43 AM
I root for my own claimers----the babies in my barn :)

Linny
Jan. 31, 2008, 12:21 PM
One of my "old guys" was just retired. Multiple Choice was a NY sw and was recently retired at age 10 after a pair of bad races at $7500 in NY.

Barnfairy
Jan. 31, 2008, 12:39 PM
Someone else just brought (Danthebluegrassman) up the other day. He was entered in the 2002 derby, but tied up the morning of the race and had to scratch. I think it's so cool he's still running.

That was me on the warriors thread -- he was never in contention in that last race. I don't know how low they'll drop him...but I'd think if you want him, now's the time to make an offer.

QHJockee
Jan. 31, 2008, 08:36 PM
To do an official workout most places, you pretty much have all the hoopla as you would for a race (you need a jock, a starter, a clocker, verification of identity, no illegal meds, etc.).

Well.....really you only need a rider (doesn't have to be a jock, I know 160 lb people who work horses on a regular basis) and a clocker. Only need a starter if you want a gate work, and I have never seen the horse identifer work the gap in the morning nor the horse go to the test barn after a work.

Oh yes, and I root for any claimer I happen to own, and I cross my fingers they get the win and the claim!

saratoga
Feb. 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
One of my "old guys" was just retired. Multiple Choice was a NY sw and was recently retired at age 10 after a pair of bad races at $7500 in NY.

:) I was just wondering about him, I saw he raced twice in January and I was feeling bad for him. What is he going to be doing now?

I like Mighty Gulch too.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 1, 2008, 04:20 PM
This Friday (Feb 1st) Golden Man will be running at Aqueduct for a $10k claiming pricing and $22k purse with 10 other starters:

Race 7 on 2-1-08 at 6 Furlongs - PP #9 Golden Man (http://www.drf.com/entries/01/eAQU01.html?rn=309926#7)

In the 3rd race, another claimer for bigger dollars, is another name of recollection that's been kicking around: Artytheonemanparty

Going off as the second betting favorite today, Golden Man finished a very close 2nd (maybe 1/2 length off) and closing fast today on a very sloppy track against a bonafied mudder. Just a damn good little runner in my view!

Artytheonemanparty faded from the lead before the final turn and finished off the board.

SleepyFox
Feb. 1, 2008, 05:30 PM
There's a reason for that. Hopefully one of the trainers on here can explain it better than me. But at most tracks you need X number of official works in a certain time period OR a race to remain eligible to run.

To do an official workout most places, you pretty much have all the hoopla as you would for a race (you need a jock, a starter, a clocker, verification of identity, no illegal meds, etc.). So with the cheap horses, they just run 'em regularly. No need to register for official works and you can earn a buck.

Although, a lot of the time people get around the workout rule and run without a work. Like for example, earlier this month I was watching a maiden claiming race where two of the horses had no works and no starts (and the announcer kept confirming there were no published works on those horses). I don't get that. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

How many official works a horse gets depends a lot on the trainer and the facility where he is working. Basically, all you have to do to get an official work is tell the clocker. A lot of times a jockey will be used to ride works, but anyone can do it. The only verification of identity I've ever seen is "hey, who's that horse?" and there's no testing. For an official work, you can work out of the gates (which is denoted in the form and on the workout sheet) or off a pole. You need an actual distance, however - you can't just say "I'm going to breeze him down the lane" if you want the clocker to get a time for you.

Per the rules (Louisiana)
"ยง3503. Workouts
A. Every person exercising a horse shall upon request of
an official timer, correctly identify the horse he is exercising
and shall state the distance over which such horse is to be
worked and the point on the race track where it is intended
to start the workout. No horse may be permitted to enter in a
race whose recent workouts have not been properly recorded
with the stewards."

Some trainers get a lot of official works and others not as many. For example, with young horses, some trainers will have them clocked pretty much every time they breeze. Others will wait until they're getting gate approval to get works.

Fit horses that are running regularly often don't get many official works. If they are running really regularly, they may not even work between races - just gallop. Or, an old school method one of my trainers and I were discussing just yesterday - claimers running regularly that have some issues may not even gallop - only walk between races to get them fired up enough to run no matter what on raceday.

A key distinction for this to make sense for novices (not implying you here, Texarkana) is that a work and a gallop are not the same thing. A work or workout is also known as a breeze or speed work. A gallop is just that - a gallop w/o pressure from the rider. Horses gallop more frequently than they work and how frequently they work is dependent upon the individual horse.

Texarkana
Feb. 1, 2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for clearing up my muckied waters SleepyFox. Hehe. But maybe you guys can help me out on something that's confusing me now.

I've never seen them tested either, but I thought it was one of those hollow threats "we could test you if we have reason to believe" type deals.

I thought you had to register for an "official work" and break from the gate. I was under the impression that all those works in the mornings where they're yelling up from the gap to the clocker weren't "official."

Is this just an "it depends on the track" thing? Or did I just dream up this crazy notion (entirely possible :lol:)?

A tangent on following claimers... is Equibase's Virtual Stable down for anyone else? I haven't gotten any notifications all week and I know I've had horses running. And when I try to add a horse to my stable I'm getting error messages.

Barnfairy
Feb. 1, 2008, 05:57 PM
A tangent on following claimers... is Equibase's Virtual Stable down for anyone else? I haven't gotten any notifications all week and I know I've had horses running. And when I try to add a horse to my stable I'm getting error messages.Working fine for me...I just added a new horse and got a notice a couple days ago...

miss_critic
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
I am still getting my notices too.
The 2 horses I mentioned above did run at least once a month so that is probably why.

As far as identifying the horses for a workout, didn't a trainer (name evades me but we did talk about it here) get a big suspension or fine for a horse ( a FEW years back) that worked out or didnt work out at a track... something like that. If they arent checking them, how can they prove it. I am sure most of you know the story I am talking about.

SleepyFox
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:22 PM
I just added a horse to my Virtual Stable today and it went smoothly.

I think the testing falls into the "probable cause" category. As in, if we see snake venom in your tack room or syringes are falling out of your pockets as you wander around we might feel forced to investigate. But, horses don't go to the spit barn after a work.

Yep, just calling to the clocker is how you get an official work. Official in this case just means a clocker times the horse versus just a railbird/trainer/etc. This is why official works should be taken with a grain of salt. It's easy for a clocker to pick up the wrong horse on a busy track and/or someone to get confused and give a wrong name.

Usually the only time you see a horse work out of the gates is one getting gate approval, or one that needs to be schooled in the gates. If breaking off a pole, the official works can be hard to really notice b/c the rider will gallop up to the pole and gallop on after the work is finished - which is why the clocker needs to know where they are starting the work and where they are ending.

Admittedly, I haven't raced everywhere so it could be some jurisdictions are more strict and I'm clueless. So, take what I say with a grain of salt too. ;)

Texarkana
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
Ok, my virtual stable is working again. It must have just been a glitch this morning, probably on my end.

AND, I can see that I got a notification for Lusty Latin, just after I said I hadn't seen anything on him. He worked 5F in 1.05.00... a far cry from his Kentucky Derby days... :lol:

QHJockee
Feb. 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
Yep, just calling to the clocker is how you get an official work. Official in this case just means a clocker times the horse versus just a railbird/trainer/etc. This is why official works should be taken with a grain of salt. It's easy for a clocker to pick up the wrong horse on a busy track and/or someone to get confused and give a wrong name.

Then, of course, there are *ahem* those times when I give a name and they say "well just tell me what time you want". Usually I say a slower than what I intend :)

blackjack2007
Mar. 25, 2008, 04:13 PM
This is in response to Calamber, who posted on 30 Jan 08. I have been trying to get Azure Ciel off of the racetrack for some time now. I have left messages for his trainer, but no response. I contacted a member of ReRun in Florida when he was there and she talked to the trainer, who said that he was not ready to retire him yet. Does anyone have any information that might help me rescue this old warrier? Thanks in advance.

Linny
Mar. 25, 2008, 10:16 PM
One of my oldies, Stonewood won at AQU on Saturday. I know that my old pal Christmas Away is still active in NE.

I didn't realize that Azure Ciel was still racing. The KY circuit seems to have alot of old timers that seem to last forever.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
I root for the one I use to own, b4 she got claimed!!!!!!!! Crafty Grey. She won a 16k at Tampa Bay in Jan. and then came in 4th in an allowance there a few wks ago. I'm doing everything I can to keep track of her. :sadsmile:

Laurierace
Mar. 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
I root for the one I use to own, b4 she got claimed!!!!!!!! Crafty Grey. She won a 16k at Tampa Bay in Jan. and then came in 4th in an allowance there a few wks ago. I'm doing everything I can to keep track of her. :sadsmile:

Wow you are a good sport. Whenever I lose a horse, I root for them to never get a check ever again. To date, no one has ever improved a horse off the claim from me, but I am sure it will happen sooner or later. Hopefully not Lava Man proportions!

Linny
Mar. 28, 2008, 11:53 PM
How about Pay the Preacher who won again on Thu at Laurel. It was his 17th win and his 3rd (of 3 starts) this year. His last two Beyers were high 90's and I'm not sure what he got yesterday. Oh, and he's 10 (yes TEN) years old. He's a warrior.

On the same card, Lusty Latin, a "derby trail" horse from years back ran hard to finish second. The winner was a son of Buddha, who is from the same crop as Lusty Latin!

Texarkana
Mar. 29, 2008, 12:42 AM
On the same card, Lusty Latin, a "derby trail" horse from years back ran hard to finish second. The winner was a son of Buddha, who is from the same crop as Lusty Latin!

I had Lusty Latin in my care for a little while. I was happy to see him back on the board. He hasn't exactly had an easy life since his Kentucky Derby days. I think he passed 3 horses in his KD IIRC. Very, very cool horse, though. I hope he finds himself a nice retirement sometime in the not-so-distant future. If his connections want to send him down to TN when he's done I'd be sure to make room, just like I'd make room for Honor Prayer (hint hint if anyone is reading this). ;)

halla
Mar. 31, 2008, 03:58 PM
After seeing Defiant Warrior on the PA CANTER listing, I've been trying to follow him. Haven't gotten any notifications in my email for a while, though.

Simkie
Mar. 31, 2008, 04:15 PM
I used to follow NYCity--he ran mostly in New Mexico, but broke his maiden his first time out in CO. He was the first horse I won money on. Unfortunately, he was vanned off last year (I think?) and I haven't seen him since. He was running every 7-10 days and I think it just caught up with him :(

BasqueMom
Mar. 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just looked Danthebluegrassman up on pedigreequery and it said he's to be retired
to Old Friends.

Anyone know what became of Fort Metfield?

blackjack2007
Apr. 2, 2008, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know if there is a rescue organization which follows claimers and specializes in negotiating to get them off of the track and placed with new owners?

can't re-
Apr. 8, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have been watching Melissa Christine for years. She's 9 years old now. She was an Penn for a long time and is now at Mountaineer. She hasn't been doing so great lately and I see she is entered again.

billdinva
Apr. 16, 2008, 03:11 AM
Azure Ciel wins a 6K claiming race. 7 furlongs in 1:28.96 by a neck.

I won a couple of bucks on him a few years back.

He's moving up from the 4K claimers. I guess they're getting him ready for the Breeders Cup:)

Not bad for a 12 year old with 90+ starts.