PDA

View Full Version : sad news

europa
Jan. 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
For those familiar with steeplechasing Bruce Haines was found in the field yesterday morning. I pray for his family and as a fellow horse owner it definately adds perspective to doing what you love and loving doing it.

Kinsella
Jan. 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
The Haynes family is very big in the sport of steeplechasing. They are great people, and Bruce was one of the best - as a trainer, father, and person. He will be greatly missed, and please everyone, jingle a bit for his family (which includes one of our own on the boards).

ArtilleryHill
Jan. 25, 2008, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know what happened? He trained some nice horses, if I remember correctly. Didn't he have Rowdy Irishman?

hookedoneventing
Jan. 25, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, he did train Rowdy...I worked for Bruce back in the late 90s...learned an incredible amount from him about horses and training...I cant say enough about his knowledge of horses. I was lucky enough to be around when Rowdy was at his best and won the Atlanta Steeplechase. What an amazing time. I am so deeply sadned by this news, it breaks my heart for his family....I can only imagine the pain they are going through....

It sounds like his death was a horrible tragedy....all I can say is you just never know...life is way too short...The Haynes family is definitely in my thoughts...Godspeed Bruce!!!!!

vineyridge
Jan. 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
Will certainly keep his family in my thoughts. :cry: Steeplechasing has lost one of its beacons in the South.

Hunter's Rest
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
Bruce Haynes was a horseman of the old school. He knew how to make a horse, show or race. His sons both follow his footsteps. The horse world has lost one of the good ones.
My heart aches for lovely Anne.
Godspeed.
Betsy Parker

Wilco
Jan. 26, 2008, 02:25 PM
Incredibly sad news for the steeplechase community and horse world in general. It impressed me that Bruce often took his horses to the paddock himself and I can't picture him without a smile on his face. Hard working and talented horseman. I've been around racing a long time; can't recall a negative word ever said about him. Tragic loss. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Wilco
Jan. 26, 2008, 03:33 PM
For those in horse show world, Bruce was Parker Barker Minchin's brother.

RodeoGirl
Jan. 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
Thank you all for the kind words about my uncle Bruce.

The funeral service will be conducted at 11 O'clock Monday morning, January 28th, at Emmanuel Episcopal Chuch in Bristol Va.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the charity of your choosing, an animal charity, or to the Rivers Way Outdoor Adventure Center, 889 Stoney Hollow Rd., Bluff City, TN 37618.

Thank you again,

Jennifer Barker St.John

Parminch
Jan. 26, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you all for your beautiful words about my brother Bruce. I cannot tell you all how much it means to our family in this sad time. His wife and boys are all surrounded by family and friends and we are going to get through this.
Bruce died of a heart attack doing what he loved out feeding the horses. He had just had a physical and was pronounced in great health and had just been on a ski trip with the family and returned to the farm on Monday night.
We are all devastated, but know that Bruce loved us all very much. We are a strong family who has been through this once before with the death of our sister, Val many years ago and will get through it again with the help of all of our family and friends.
Oakley Cook Funeral Home in Bristol is in charge of the arrangements and has a guest book online should you wish to send a message.
thank you all,
Parker Haynes Minchin

Carol Ames
Jan. 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
If there is one bit of advice I could give it would be this :to doing what you love and loving doing it.:yes: Remember , It can all be gone in an instant:sadsmile::eek: __________________
The rider casts his heart over the fence,
the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

canyonoak
Jan. 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
Godspeed to a great horseman.
My heart goes out to his family and friends.

CBoylen
Jan. 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
Parker and Jen, I am so very sorry :(.

Offset
Jan. 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
My very deepest sympathies and prayers.....some of my fondest memories, watching all three on Top Flight.

One Star
Jan. 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
I had the distinct pleasure of watching the Bruce-trained Summersville, piloted by son Russell and owned by wife Anne, win the Maiden Claiming Hurdle at the Little Everglades Steeplechase last March.

The 'chasing community and the horse world in general has lost a great one. :(

Deepest condolences for all the family.

Irish Ei's
Jan. 26, 2008, 08:34 PM
Gallop on, Bruce....
You're in the Best of Company.....

pinkdiamondracing
Jan. 26, 2008, 08:37 PM
Jingling for the family of Bruce:cry::cry::cry:

VirginiaBred
Jan. 26, 2008, 08:43 PM
My condolences and prayers to the family. :(

Halfhalting
Jan. 26, 2008, 09:27 PM
What a sad loss for all the horses and horse people who were lucky enough to be a part of his life. I am sure his family is suffering from this terrible and unthinkable loss right now. I am so sorry... my sincerest and deepest condolences go out to those who loved him so much.

Fred
Jan. 27, 2008, 08:20 AM
My most sincere and heartfelt condolences and prayers for Bruce and his family.

Justbay1
Jan. 27, 2008, 11:35 AM
Parker and Jen, I am so sorry to hear this. You have our condolences and prayers to your family.:cry:

Robin & Joel

ArtilleryHill
Jan. 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
to the Haynes family and friends at this time of terrible loss. Our prayers to you all.

summerhorse
Jan. 28, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm so sorry to read this, my deepest condolences. =(

Glimmerglass
Jan. 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
As pointed out by another person to me, the Steeplechase Times did a reprint of (http://www.st-publishing.com/st-times/viewstory1.php?id=469) the obituary that appeared in Bristol Herald Courier Jan 27, 2008:

BRISTOL, Tenn. – David Bruce Haynes, 46, died at the farm he loved on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2008.

He was a lifelong horseman and had lived in this area all his life. As a youngster, he showed hunters and jumpers all over the southeast. He and his wife, Anne, and his three sons maintain a stable of thoroughbred race horses and steeplechase horses at the family farm, "Holston Hollow," in Holston Valley. He was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Bristol Virginia.

Bruce was preceded in death by his sister, Valerie Lynn Haynes, and his grandparents, Henry Hallum and Mary Paine Dunn Haynes of Bristol and Spotswood Randolph and Alethia Bland Parker of Atlanta.

Survivors include his wife, Anne Oldfield Haynes; his sons, Russell Bruce Haynes, William Parker Haynes and David Aaron Haynes; his parents, David Saunders and Alethia Parker Haynes; his sister, Parker Haynes Minchin and her husband Edward of Southern Pines, N.C.; and his cousins, Ray Bibee, Hal Bibee, David Bibee, Janet Burleson, Hal Haynes and Casey Morris. Bruce was the "favorite uncle" to his nieces and nephews, Jean and Rob Broadhurst, Annie, John and Elizabeth Hanlon, John and David Barker and Jennifer St. John.

The Haynes family had just been on a ski trip together, and Bruce told the boys as they were skiing how much he loved his life and his family.

The funeral service will be conducted at 11 o'clock Monday morning, Jan. 28, 2008, at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, with the Rev. Dr. Paul Hamilton Fuller IV officiating. The family will receive friends following the service in the church parish hall.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the charity of your choosing, to an animal charity or to Rivers Way Outdoor Adventure Center, 889 Stoney Hollow Road, Bluff City, TN 37618.

Condolences and memories may be sent to and viewed at www.oakley-cook.com

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
Sean Clancy's ST Journal entry on Bruce and his attending of the funeral (http://www.st-publishing.com/journal/?p=43)

mbj
Jan. 30, 2008, 05:11 PM
Oh I am so sorry. He was a wonderful horseman and will be missed. My deep sympathy goes out to his family.
Babette Jenny

Tackpud
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
Parker, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you and your family.